PDA

View Full Version : D&D3.5 homebrew spell for gentalmages of all kinds

drack
2012-08-16, 01:37 PM
OK, basic premise is a level 9 spell with countless functions in order to assure a mage of every luxury and convince imaginable.

Hanfun's Art of Luxury
Universal

Level:Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, F
Casting time: one round
Range:See text
Target:See text
Duration:See text
Saving Throw:See text
SR: no

Hanfun's Art of Luxury is a gentlemage's greatest of friends upon an adventure, as it can bring all the luxuries of civilization to the traveling mage, allowing him, her, or it to cast any three of the Hanfun's Arts within one hour of the initial casting.

Hanfun's Art of Cuisine
Range: close (25'+5'/level)
Effect: one summoned meal
Duration: instantanious
Saving throw: yes
Spell resistance: no

So often the nobleman is left eating the finest pork cutlets with a glass of fine wine, and a desert of glazed walnuts while the gentlemage is force to subside off nuts, berries, and foods created of his, her, or it's own magic. Now a gentlemage can summon the meals of a noble (who has had far too many already) before it even reaches them allowing the gentlemage to consume actual food. Naturally whichever attendant is holing the food is entitled to a reflex save to avoid loosing their preciously crafted morsel, but in such a case as they succeed Hanfun's Art of Cuisine will simply target another such meal. At the time of casting the gentlemage is entitled to request one meal of any verity to be summoned.

Hanfun's Art of Dress
Range: self
Effect: the summoning of royal garbs
Duration: 48hours, See text
Saving throw: no
Spell Resistance: no

So often it is that a nobleman possesses countless garments that are never worn, and the hapless gentlemage is forced to abide with garments ever so oft splattered with the mud of a passing wagon of manure and swine. Now a mage can summon one of many such garbs from such a wardrobe suite to match their taste and appearance, as close as there is in existence to that which the gentlemage imagines. Furthermore the robe is cleaned and pressed before it ever appears upon the mage, displacing their current garbs, an any tarnishes, blemishes, cuts or the like are automatically repaired and cleaned as they occur for the 48 hours that this art lasts. At the end of the 48hours, or when the garb is removed (whichever comes first) this art expires and the outfit appears again as it was within the nobleman's wardrobe. Furthermore any poisons or the like that had been present within the robe are cleansed from the garment as it is first summoned, and are not replaced afterwards.

Well I've gotta go for now, but I'll continue later. I'd appreciate any ideas anyone would like to throw at it... As to why it's level 9 that is for two reasons. Once I requested a level 0 spell to summon sweet treats with no mechanical value and it was denied, and second because it allows much more mechanical freedom, such as the constant cleaning and repairing allowed in Hanfun's Art of Dress, and the like. :smallbiggrin:

Vadskye
2012-08-16, 11:39 PM
Well, the spell should clearly be Conjuration, not Universal. But... level 9? Really? I mean, you're basically emulating a Create Food and Water+ Prestidigitation for the first effect, and looking like you're wearing noble clothing can be done with a Disguise Self. If you're picky and want to wear actual noble clothing, you could cast Fabricate - or just, you know, pay 100gp or so.

The real problem with making it 9th level isn't power level concerns, though. It's the idea that a 17th level mage is the servant of a mere nobleman. A 17th level mage can take over the kingdom of a "normal" world on a whim and a day of preparation. The game mechanics simply do not support a world where 17th level mages are puppets of the sort that this spell makes them out to be.

Baron Corm
2012-08-17, 12:07 AM
The real problem with making it 9th level isn't power level concerns, though. It's the idea that a 17th level mage is the servant of a mere nobleman. A 17th level mage can take over the kingdom of a "normal" world on a whim and a day of preparation. The game mechanics simply do not support a world where 17th level mages are puppets of the sort that this spell makes them out to be.

Oh, come on. Not every kingdom is ruled by level 5 aristocrats. That's kind of campaign setting specific.

I agree that the spell should be lower level, of course. Magnificent mansion is somewhat similar, but with an added rope trick effect, and is level 7, so I'd put it at level 5 or 6. Any kind of tacked on effects of the same nature you could think of would probably still be fine at those levels.

Vadskye
2012-08-17, 12:19 AM
Oh, come on. Not every kingdom is ruled by level 5 aristocrats. That's kind of campaign setting specific.

Oh, definitely. And I'm not saying 17th level mages can't decide to pledge allegiance to someone and serve them. But:

So often the nobleman is left eating the finest pork cutlets with a glass of fine wine, and a desert of glazed walnuts while the gentlemage is force to subside off nuts, berries, and foods created of his, her, or it's own magic. Now a gentlemage can summon the meals of a noble (who has had far too many already) before it even reaches them allowing the gentlemage to consume actual food.
Being able to subsist off of more than nuts and berries was something the 17th level mage should have left behind about 16 levels ago. The spell description is already campaign-specific; it's just that the setting it describes can't coexist with "gentlemage" who can stop time and become a dragon.

Gamer Girl
2012-08-17, 02:38 AM
9th level is way, way, way to high of a level for this spell that basically does nothing. A 9th level spell to steal a plate of nobleman's food?

First off, any spellcaster that can cast 9th level spells, could just hire a cook or a clothing maker...not to mention just buy both. Or have a servant do both.

But just look at all the lower level spells that an archmage can use to get good food.

Maybe drop the spell level to 3rd?

Lysander
2012-08-17, 03:31 AM
How about something like this:

Aesthetics
Illusion (Glamer)
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal or touch
Target: You or a creature or object weighing no more than 100 lb./level
Duration: 10 min/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless) or Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless) or Yes (harmless, object)

You change the appearance of a creature or object to become more appealing to the senses, affecting sight, sound, touch, hearing, and taste.

Simple objects can be made to seem luxurious or expensive, for example a rough wool robe could appear to be a satin cloak, a strip of dried beef could look and taste like a steak, a nasal voice could sound clear, and a plain man could gain strikingly good looks.

You have control over the subject's new appearance, but can only make it an improved form of itself. The spell cannot fool people as to what the subject fundamentally is or does. For example, you could make a plain sword look like a bejeweled sword, but not a hammer. A loaf of bread could become a cake, but not a roast chicken. An ugly orc could become an attractive orc, but not an attractive human.

A creature that interacts with the glamer gets a will save to recognize it as an illusion, but even if successful can choose to ignore reality if they prefer.

Vadskye
2012-08-17, 04:28 AM
That spell is way too powerful, Lysander. Spells that can break the laws of reality have to be high level - I think Wish might be more what you're thinking of. I mean, this is just too much:

An ugly orc could become an attractive orc
Nice try, though.

drack
2012-08-17, 08:33 AM
Well, the spell should clearly be Conjuration, not Universal. But... level 9? Really? I mean, you're basically emulating a Create Food and Water+ Prestidigitation for the first effect, and looking like you're wearing noble clothing can be done with a Disguise Self. If you're picky and want to wear actual noble clothing, you could cast Fabricate - or just, you know, pay 100gp or so.

Dude, I'm running a game right now where the leader of every nation is level 30 gestalt with tens, perhaps hundreds of followers that would be able to cast this spell, and millions of lesser followers. That aside I was referring more to adventurers as they are likely to be constantly splattered with mud and gore, as well as forced to survive on magical rations, or whatever happens to be in the area. Generally I don't like to imagine what happens to me when I loose all that sustenance to a dispel, and even though most DMs don't roll that way this is easier then a true creation spell each mealtime. :smalltongue:

I agree that the spell should be lower level, of course. Magnificent mansion is somewhat similar, but with an added rope trick effect, and is level 7, so I'd put it at level 5 or 6. Any kind of tacked on effects of the same nature you could think of would probably still be fine at those levels.
Well just to be technical a contingent prestidigitation going off lets assume every six seconds adds up to a lot of spell levels... all the same I had intended to include something akin to Magnificent Mansion in it as well as other higher level effects, I merely thought that food and clothing should come first. :smalltongue:

9th level is way, way, way to high of a level for this spell that basically does nothing. A 9th level spell to steal a plate of nobleman's food?

First off, any spellcaster that can cast 9th level spells, could just hire a cook or a clothing maker...not to mention just buy both. Or have a servant do both.

But just look at all the lower level spells that an archmage can use to get good food.

Maybe drop the spell level to 3rd?

not done yet :smalltongue:
Edit: anywho more of a pet project for when I find time...

Zale
2012-08-17, 09:38 AM
Strictly Speaking, Magnificent Mansion is a better spell than this.

You get a place to stay, a banquet and servants to wait on you hand and foot.

This gives you a few meals or a bunch of pretty clothing.

It shouldn't be level nine.

Though you seem to plan on adding more things, so perhaps something you mention will tip the scales.