PDA

View Full Version : Does the playground contain any sage advice on wi-fi?

Seharvepernfan
2012-08-16, 02:57 PM
I live out in the country, and my only options for internet are dial-up and mobile broadband (which is what I have, and it's horrible, plus kinda pricey).
So, I've been looking up other options. So far, wi-fi looks like the only other option (I'm still researching).

However, most of the stuff on wi-fi that I find while searching relates to getting wi-fi for free with a device that you already have, or is horribly dated.

According to wikipedia, you can get wi-fi literally anywhere, as long as you have a device. Is this correct?

Does anyone know how I would go about aquiring wi-fi?

Does it's quality depend on where you live? Like, is it slower out in the country? How does it compare to, say, dial-up or mobile broadband?

I appreciate any advice or comments!

Jimorian
2012-08-16, 09:40 PM
WiFi is a way of distributing an already existing internet connection, so no, it is not a solution to getting internet in the country. You still need to get somebody to run a cable of some kind to your house, then you set up a WiFi network to connect your computers to this ISP, or you hardwire them to the router with ethernet cables.

There are various ways of getting internet service wirelessly to remote locations, but it involves them pointing a microwave antenna in your direction for you to pick up the signal, and these are much less reliable than hard wire. There is also satellite, but that's even more obscure and funky.

Probably your only option is to get DSL via your phone cable, but that depends on whether your phone company has the equipment close enough to your house to provide it, which is a crap shoot depending on where you are. The Mobile service you have uses cell phone towers to send internet to your phone, which can then act as a WiFi transmitter to your computer, but as you say, this is a very expensive and clunky option.

"Free" WiFi is when somebody else with a strong internet connection allows you to connect to their network, like Starbucks or whatever. But WiFi is relatively short range (you'd be lucky if you can get it a block away), so you have to go there to use it. If you happen to find any WiFi signals near your house, they're your neighbors, and if they've secured it, you won't be able to connect. If they haven't secured it, you could connect, but you'd be essentially stealing from them.

Not your fault you didn't understand this, but at least you're asking questions in a place that will lead you to what you need to know. I'm sure others know more about the actual options you may have, since all I have experience with is DSL and cable internet in a well-wired city. But in general:

Internet to your house via a router = fiber optic, cable, DSL, dialup, satellite, mobile, microwave

Connections from internet/router to computer/network = ethernet, Wifi

Connections from computer/network to peripheral devices = USB, Firewire, WiFi.

I'm probably leaving out some options and getting some terminology slightly wrong, but that's the essence of it.

factotum
2012-08-17, 01:30 AM
What Jimor said. If you know somebody who has workable DSL broadband who's within line-of-sight of your house you might be able to share their connection using a direct wireless link, but that isn't WiFi--you need to set up a sender and receiver at each end, and you'll probably have to use a very directional link to comply with RFI regulations.

(There was an article on the Register a few months ago about a guy in Scotland who was doing just that, but I haven't been able to find it again).

Rawhide
2012-08-17, 08:16 AM
The Important thing has already been mentioned, WiFi is very short range (point to point can be longer range). You almost certainly won't be able to use a WiFi connection in the area you have described to access the Internet from your house legally. It can basically be thought of as a wireless alternative to a home network.

WiFi hotspots are often 'everywhere' in big cities, as each cafe wishes you to drink and munch away on their coffees, teas, and light foods and use that as an incentive.

What Jimor said. If you know somebody who has workable DSL broadband who's within line-of-sight of your house you might be able to share their connection using a direct wireless link, but that isn't WiFi--you need to set up a sender and receiver at each end, and you'll probably have to use a very directional link to comply with RFI regulations.

(There was an article on the Register a few months ago about a guy in Scotland who was doing just that, but I haven't been able to find it again).

Actually, WiFi can be point to point. Get two WiFi access points, one at each end, and give each a directional antenna. Because its only firing in the one direction, you can get a much stronger signal over a much longer distance with the same power output (i.e. while still in compliance). There are many point to point WiFi connections, mainly used by businesses.

nedz
2012-08-17, 08:54 AM
I normally just use WiFi for connected my phone to the internet.
If you have such a phone you can use it to scan for WiFi connections.
If you are truly out in the sticks though, then this isn't going to work - but at least you'll know.

Seharvepernfan
2012-08-18, 08:23 PM
Damn. That's disappointing.

Okay, so DSL is likely my best option, if it's available. I'll look into that.

Thank you for your time and effort, people. You've saved me a lot of it, actually!

tyckspoon
2012-08-18, 10:07 PM
Damn. That's disappointing.

Okay, so DSL is likely my best option, if it's available. I'll look into that.

Good luck. If your local telecom isn't already pestering you to buy DSL service from you, odds are it's only because they don't offer it in your location.