PDA

View Full Version : standard action full attacks

limejuicepowder
2012-08-16, 06:47 PM
Me and a friend of mine, both a fan of tweaking rules, recently have been trying out allowing full attacks as a standard action. After using it for one gaming session, it honestly seems a little insane.

Things I've noticed:
-certain feats, like quick draw, become much less useful. Moving, drawing a weapon, and full attacking makes the feat quite superfluous
-Tomb of Battle changes significantly, since most of the strikes aren't really worth using if a full attack is available
-this is just my gut feeling, but combat may become LESS tactical, since it becomes almost impossible to avoid full attacks from enemies and entirely elementary to carry out your own
-I haven't actually fought these creatures yet, but power melee monsters like ogres and giants become extraordinarily deadly
-"rocket tag." 'nuff said

I'd like to try out some more, but I'm beginning to think it's the wrong type of buff to martial types: it increases their damage output, something they are already good at, but it also puts them in a more dangerous position. Maybe it's a better idea to make spells a full round action, rather then a standard one, to even the playing field.

Does anyone else have any thought or experience with a rule like this one?

Urpriest
2012-08-16, 06:54 PM
Quick draw was already for drawing new weapons in between attacks in a full attack, for a throwing build or similar. If you are adjacent to an enemy in a battle you expect to win, generally you already have a weapon out.

I agree with the gist of the rest, though. It's damage, which isn't amazing. Still, I think the idea is as a replacement for Tome of Battle, not in addition to it.

Gwendol
2012-08-16, 06:54 PM
I imagine AC becomes far more important?

Novawurmson
2012-08-16, 07:12 PM
I would say defenses (sans miss chance) would become even less important - it would just speed the rate that the game turns into rocket tag.

Honestly, a lot of my favorite parts of the ToB are the defensive options - blocking an opponent's attack, reducing an enemy's attack bonus, etc.