PDA

View Full Version : Shugenja questions

kabreras
2012-08-16, 08:33 PM
Hello playground,

Planing to make a shugenja for my next campaign.

I just wonder if there is a way to get more spells know...

Do getting a cleric domain (divine oracle, contemplative dips) make me able to cas the spells from the domain ?

is there any other way to get spells ?

Im limited to core + complete divine, warrior, arcane, adventurer + all the faeruns books. So still working on a build that can be as versatile as possible (and fun to play).

Amphetryon
2012-08-16, 09:57 PM
Hello playground,

Planing to make a shugenja for my next campaign.

I just wonder if there is a way to get more spells know...

Do getting a cleric domain (divine oracle, contemplative dips) make me able to cas the spells from the domain ?

is there any other way to get spells ?

Im limited to core + complete divine, warrior, arcane, adventurer + all the faeruns books. So still working on a build that can be as versatile as possible (and fun to play).
Most discussions I've seen indicate that the Cleric domains are a legitimate way to give the Shugenja access to extra spells. Both Divine Oracle and Contemplative are highly recommended for this purpose, the former for the in-class benefits gained (like the "evasion in armor" ability), and the latter for the unfettered list of Domain options.

If you can get your DM to agree that the FAQ (or was it CustServ?) is wrong - several do - and that Extra Spell is not list-specific, you could snag an additional spell via that method, but it's of limited benefit even in its most favorable reading.

The Underdark book within the Faerun series of books has the Node Casting line of feats, which could also potentially improve your spell list.

eggs
2012-08-16, 10:52 PM
They have limited spontaneous casting; that means they add domain spells to their spell lists (as options that can be picked as spells known), but not as additions to their spells known.

Adding the domain, then grabbing one of those domain staffs from Complete Champion might work, but since CC isn't on the book list or at hand, I'm not going to try to track down the legitimacy there.

Usually Skypledged can work for expanding the number of spells known, but it means jumping through some hoops (and again, the books list).

I don't know FR materials well, but with the non-setting sources available, I'd be tempted to go into Loremaster, max out UMD, take Craft Staff, and make yourself some options.

kabreras
2012-08-17, 03:52 PM
Well so look like shugenja is in fact quite crap with what i have on my disposal then.

rot42
2012-08-17, 06:28 PM
The Spell Compendium recommends working with your DM to add thematically appropriate spells to their list. It is probably not on your booklist, but it is a reasonable way to add some splatbook love for the Shugenja while maintaining the flavor of the class.

nedz
2012-08-17, 07:56 PM
Well so look like shugenja is in fact quite crap with what i have on my disposal then.

Well its a Sorcerer. There is a handbook about them somewhere, here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1199.0) in fact.
Its a Tier 2 class. You just need to plan your spell selections 4 levels ahead, and know what you want to do with it.

I'd quite like to play one sometime, just need to find an oriental campaign.

eggs
2012-08-17, 08:51 PM
Well, a Sorcerer with a crappy spell list. It's still on the higher end of the classes, but I'd be impressed if you could make one show up even a core Sorc in this environment.

nedz
2012-08-18, 08:43 AM
Well, a Sorcerer with a crappy spell list. It's still on the higher end of the classes, but I'd be impressed if you could make one show up even a core Sorc in this environment.

Well you get the extra spell known, but yeah the spell list is quite restrictive.
The role is slightly different to a Sorcerer in that its divine.
Sorcerer is probably stronger due to having more spells available to choose from, but in both cases the lack of class features mean that you'd want to PrC out as soon as reasonable.

Yuki Akuma
2012-08-18, 08:57 AM
Knowstones (Dragon #333) work for Shugenjas, and they're not particularly expensive.

(They cost [spell level] squared x 1000 + material component or focus. 0-level spells are 500gp.)

So, grabbing a domain for spells not on your spell list then grabbing knowstones could be useful. Possibly.