PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia: Debriefing Questions

joe
2012-08-16, 10:24 PM
I plan to run a game of Paranoia tomorrow and I was wondering what would be some good questions to ask the Team Leader during the debriefing?

I would prefer questions that generally lead toward causing zany antics in the debriefing room, but just any fun questions will be fine. :)

nedz
2012-08-17, 08:40 AM
So, when did you stop being a mutant ?

The Glyphstone
2012-08-17, 10:08 AM
How many times did members of your team commit treason?

Mekboy
2012-08-17, 11:56 AM
Which team member is the most treasonous? (preferably within full view of team)

Friv
2012-08-17, 01:18 PM
Go for real confusion - ask some convoluted questions about a sub-mission that the team was never actually assigned, but which apparently was completed successfully. Ask him to justify whether the collateral damage in defeating the Oxy-Savage was, in his opinion, fully worthwhile. Give no hints as to what that collateral damage was, and see if you can drag the leader into assigning blame and credit for an event he has no knowledge of. If he denies knowledge, ask which member of his team DID stop the Oxy-Savage, since clearly he's unfit to take the commendation.

(Ideally, make the collateral damage something that the team actually did wrong, implying that they accidentally solved a problem and never knew it.)

houlio
2012-08-17, 01:35 PM
All of these are good ideas. I enjoy just handing over a blank piece of paper and asking for a signature, then filling it in as I get other information from players.

nedz
2012-08-17, 02:04 PM
Or ask detailed questions about a mission another Trouble shooter team did. It helps to have set this up a little in the briefing.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-08-28, 07:45 AM
Depending on the style of the game, throw in a curveball; which of these two drinks do you prefer the taste of? A random mathematics question or "tell me about your mother"

Andrewmoreton
2012-08-28, 02:03 PM
To the team Leader
" Which Team member behaved in the most treasonous manner?"

The follow up
"Explain why your leadership failed to prevent this"

Ashtagon
2012-08-28, 02:27 PM
If any/multiple (delete as appropriate) characters/players (delete as appropriate) survive to reach the debrief, you're doing it wrong.

jaybird
2012-08-28, 02:38 PM
If any/multiple (delete as appropriate) characters/players (delete as appropriate) survive to reach the debrief, you're doing it wrong.

You mean if any characters survive PAST the debrief - I believe in at least giving them a CHANCE at saving their own hides :smallwink:

Ashtagon
2012-08-28, 02:54 PM
You mean if any characters survive PAST the debrief - I believe in at least giving them a CHANCE at saving their own hides :smallwink:

It looks like you mistyped and wrote debrief instead of brief :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2012-08-28, 04:06 PM

I dunno, that gives me an idea for a great and confusing Paranoia game. You start with the debrief, make sure to ask detailed questions about specific events they don't know about and punish them for getting the answers wrong.

They then leave the Intel center, drop off a hunk of shredded, melted wreckage at R&D (filling out review forms of its performance) and go to a reactor/laboratory/site location of choice. Stuff happens, including events that the intel officer asked them about. They leave, travel somewhere else, more stuff happens. They leave, go back to Intel HQ, visit R.D. to pick up their experimental Temporal Inversion Field unit, and report to the briefing room to receive their mission.

Telok
2012-08-28, 04:43 PM
I dunno, that gives me an idea for a great and confusing Paranoia game. You start with the debrief, make sure to ask detailed questions about specific events they don't know about and punish them for getting the answers wrong.

They then leave the Intel center, drop off a hunk of shredded, melted wreckage at R&D (filling out review forms of its performance) and go to a reactor/laboratory/site location of choice. Stuff happens, including events that the intel officer asked them about. They leave, travel somewhere else, more stuff happens. They leave, go back to Intel HQ, visit R.D. to pick up their experimental Temporal Inversion Field unit, and report to the briefing room to receive their mission.

That is really really wicked.

This isn't for a one-shot, it's for a series of missions.
For a good chain yanking at the debrief you want to set things up in advance. Make sure that equipment is damaged or lost, part of the mission takes place in the septic system, that some infrareds are maimed, and at least one important fight is not recorded. Then during the debriefing start asking the team leader about those things. If your leader has a good sense of self preservation (he does still have some clones left, right?) he'll blame the equipment guy for busted R&D toys, the cleanliness officer for the sewage treated uniforms, the happiness officer for not treating the infras, and the recording officer for the missing tapes. Let the backstabbing go on for a bit, take notes (or just fake taking notes). Then you ask the rest of the team for their reports on how well the team leader led them, use business speak here like "leveraging your clone capital skill paradigms".

Once everyone has backstabbed to their hearts content... Nothing happens. On the next mission they get a list of rules to follow, every single suggestion or problem has now become an entry on the "efficiency program rule discussion list". Be sure to include contradictory rules, nonsensical ones, and dangerous ones (#17 "Everyone must be accompanied by a scrub-bot at all times, including restroom trips and medical emergencies"). Now on the debriefing just punish them for every rules infraction without bothering about the mission at all.

jaybird
2012-08-28, 05:06 PM

Quotes like these are why I wish I could like posts here :smallbiggrin:

Beelzebub1111
2012-08-28, 06:24 PM
Depending on the style of the game, throw in a curveball; which of these two drinks do you prefer the taste of? A random mathematics question or "tell me about your mother"
I read that as

"Which of these two drinks do you prefer the taste of: A random mathematics question, or 'tell me about your mother'?"

Possibly the best question I've ever misread.