PDA

View Full Version : "See the light!" (3.5 Domain, PEACH)

Noctis Vigil
2012-08-17, 01:02 AM
Light Domain

Granted Power: You may cast the spell Light at-will. Additionally, all spells with the [Light] descriptor are cast at +1 caster level.

Spells:
Level 1: Nimbus of Light (SpC)
Level 2: Glowing Orb (SpC)
Level 3: Wall of Light (SpC)
Level 4: Divine Sunlight
Level 5: Starlight Aura
Level 6: Brilliant Blade (SpC)
Level 7: Starcloud
Level 8: Brilliant Aura (SpC)
Level 9: Sunheart

Divine Sunlight
Evocation [Light]
Level: Clr 5, Drd 5, Pal 4, Light 4
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Object touched
Duration: 10 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell functions exactly as the spell Daylight, except that every creature in the sunlight gains fast healing equal to the caster's Wisdom modifier. This is a positive energy effect, so undead take damage equal to the caster's Wisdom modifier instead.

Starlight Aura
Evocation [Light]
Level: Clr 6, Drd 6, Light 5
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial

You cast the spell, and motes of blue-white light that twinkle like stars burst into existence around you, hovering just off your skin and equipment and casting light like a torch. These motes swirl around you, throwing off your foe's aim. Any foe who attacks you takes a -5 penalty to hit you for the duration of the spell. Further, the motes flash with light when foes hit you. Any foe who hits you with a melee attack must make a Fortitude save or be blinded for a number of rounds equal to your Wisdom modifier. On a successful save, they are instead dazzled for 1d4 rounds.

Starcloud
Evocation [Light], [Cold]
Level: Clr 8, Drd 8, Light 7
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: 100 foot radius area
Duration: 10 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial

Upon casting this spell, a swarm of lights bursts from your fingertips and fills the designated area, filling the area with a cold blue light. These lights swarm inside this area, moving around as if alive, perfectly illuminating everything inside the cloud. As such, all shadows (either normal or magical) are eliminated inside the area of the spell. Further, the brilliance of the light dazzles everything inside the cloud for as long as it remains in the cloud. The stars are also cold to the touch, and radiate chill into creatures that pass through the cloud. Anything inside the cloud takes 1d6 cold damage for every three levels the caster has per round. The caster of the spell is immune to both the dazzling and the cold effects of this spell.

Sunheart
Evocation [Light], [Healing]
Level: Light 9, Sun 9
Components: V, S, DF, F/M (see text)
Range: Touch
Target: One diamond sphere touched
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude Half

You pray over the sphere of diamond in your hand, and channel the full radiance of the sun and the positive energy plane through it. The orb glows as per the Daylight spell, save that the light shines out to 100 feet, and everything inside the light becomes immune to negative energy effects in all forms (including death affects, energy drain/damage, and negative levels), is cured of all forms of status ailments they may be suffering from at the start of each round (including diseases, poisons, fatigue/exhaustion and petrification), and is treated as if they had fast healing equal to twice your caster level. As an additional effect, at any time during the spell's duration effect all creatures within the light of the spell as if they had had Resurrection cast on them; however, this effect both ends the spell immediately and consumes the diamond sphere focus.

Focus/Material Component: An perfect sphere of the purest diamond worth at least 25,000 gold.

Vadskye
2012-08-17, 01:19 AM
You're pretty light on explanatory text there. Why don't you illuminate your purpose for building this domain?

Noctis Vigil
2012-08-17, 01:39 AM
Not really much to say about that. I was looking for a Light Domain, couldn't find one, was ticked off there wasn't one, and created this as a result. I mean, really? A Sun domain, a Moon domain, a Darkness domain, but no Light domain? Heck, I even think stars have their own domain somewhere.

Vadskye
2012-08-17, 01:56 AM
I was being punny daganabit! LAUGH AT MY JOKES.

But anyway, it looks good. I'm surprised that you tend to give spells at the higher of the two levels that would be acceptable for them, though; if you're in the domain whose sole purpose is to be bright, I think you should get access to the spell as early as anyone can. So I'd give Lucent Lance at 5th level and Blistering Radiance at 4th, replacing the pretty lame Glowing Orb.

Noctis Vigil
2012-08-17, 02:04 AM
Sorry. I has a sleepy, so I missed the puns. Thanks for enlightening me to your brilliance. :smallwink:

I took your suggestions, and also moved Glowing Orb from 4th level to 2nd. It's a much better spell at 2nd level anyways, IMHO.

Vadskye
2012-08-17, 02:11 AM
Haha, at your service. :D

It is a much better spell - to the point that it basically obsoletes Daylight. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but one of the key uses of the glowing orb that I see is that it allows you to switch between light and dark - in other words, it can conceivably be used to make things darker. Daylight, on the other hand, is just a "make things really bright" spell. Your theme here seems to be "ALL OF THE BRIGHT" so I'm inclined to pick Daylight over the Glowing Orb, but it's really just personal preference.

Oh - there is one other thing. Because Glowing Orb is a Permanent duration spell, it's basically a "cast once or twice and then never take again" spell. In other words, you're basically guaranteeing that the person with the Light domain will use their 2nd level domain slot for whatever else they've got access to; I'm not sure that a spell like Glowing Orb really fits naturally in the context of a domain.

Gamer Girl
2012-08-17, 02:29 AM
Well, you did make a classic mistake. Ok, so you want a 'Light' domain to cover all the gods that have something to do with light. So good, so far, but then you just make a blaster all damage domain! As if every god of light is just blasting away at foes 24/7.

So why? Where you just trying to make a Blaster Light domain? Do you think that 'light' always equals 'zap like laser'?

And if you want a Light Blast domain, why have such a lame granted power? Why not make it Lightburst to do damage or add to the DC of light spells or even to the plus to caster level?

Zaydos
2012-08-17, 02:30 AM
Why no daylight spell? That seems much more appropriate than Glowing Orb.

Vadskye
2012-08-17, 02:54 AM
Do you have any particular non-blasting spell recommendations that would fit better, Gamer Girl? I'm not seeing a huge issue here; Brilliant Blade and Brilliant Aura are buffs, Wall of Light is a battlefield control spell, Glowing Orb is utility, and Moonfire is more than just damage (it only does d8 per 2 levels, come on). That leaves only four "blasting" spells in the school.

Noctis Vigil
2012-08-17, 06:03 AM
I had wanted to make this a more utility sort of domain, so please do give suggestions.

Zaydos
2012-08-17, 11:11 AM
Well of the top of my head: Faerie Fire (Lv 1), Silent Image (Lv 1), Glitterdust (Lv 2), Daylight (Lv 3).

Ziegander
2012-08-17, 12:40 PM
Light Domain

Granted Power: You may cast the spell Light at-will.

Spells:
Level 1: Nimbus of Light (SpC)
Level 2: Glowing Orb (SpC)
Level 4: Blistering Radiance (SpC)
Level 5: Lucent Lance (SpC)
Level 7: Radiant Assault (SpC)
Level 9: Moonfire (SpC)

As has been mentioned, Glowing Orb is a very strange spell for a Domain, given its permanent duration. Since this is a Light domain, and since Daylight (3rd level spell) generally has less utility than Darkness (2nd level spell), I would suggest replacing Glowing Orb with Daylight.

Also, you probably want to have only one of Brilliant Blade or Brilliant Aura. Brilliant Aura basically renders Brilliant Blade obsolete, even with the higher spell slot, so maybe replace Brilliant Blade with something more interesting. True Seeing perhaps? Prismatic Spray?

Moonfire is a spell unique to the Moon Domain, so I feel like you're stealing another domain's thunder by picking this as your 9th level spell. It's also a super, insultingly bad spell. Perhaps you could replace it with Prismatic Sphere?

And one more thing. That domain power is kind of sad. Maybe Give it that as well as +1 to caster level with [Light] spells (even though fewer than half the spells in the domain have that descriptor)?

Gamer Girl
2012-08-17, 09:51 PM
Do you have any particular non-blasting spell recommendations that would fit better, Gamer Girl? I'm not seeing a huge issue here; Brilliant Blade and Brilliant Aura are buffs, Wall of Light is a battlefield control spell, Glowing Orb is utility, and Moonfire is more than just damage (it only does d8 per 2 levels, come on). That leaves only four "blasting" spells in the school.

Only 4 blasty spells out of 9, not too much right? But does not 8 out of 9 of the spells do damage? So they are blasty spells. And four attack, two buff and on control is still seven all combat spells.

Wizards is, of course, bad at making spells too. They also get stuck on the light=damage=everything must be combat. So you need to do a bit of work:

Spells:
Level 1: Bright Eyes(aka Ebon eyes) (SpC)
Level 2: Veil of Brightness(aka Veil of shadows) (SpC)
Level 5: Light Form(aka Shadow Form) (SpC)
Level 7: Elemental Body(light)(aka elemental body) (SpC)
Level 9: Lightmaster(aka Undermaster) (SpC)

But your missing the basics like 'control light' too.

TuggyNE
2012-08-18, 04:24 AM

What would those even be? Unless I am thoroughly misinformed as to both of these, the first would do nothing ("You gain the ability to see normally in normal and magical brightness, just as you normally would without the use of a spell."), and the second is utterly confusing (what spell effects does it allow you to use?).

Or did you mean just refluff them without changing mechanics? That's almost worse in a way, and still doesn't explain Undermaster at all.

Noctis Vigil
2012-08-18, 07:59 AM
As has been mentioned, Glowing Orb is a very strange spell for a Domain, given its permanent duration. Since this is a Light domain, and since Daylight (3rd level spell) generally has less utility than Darkness (2nd level spell), I would suggest replacing Glowing Orb with Daylight.

Also, you probably want to have only one of Brilliant Blade or Brilliant Aura. Brilliant Aura basically renders Brilliant Blade obsolete, even with the higher spell slot, so maybe replace Brilliant Blade with something more interesting. True Seeing perhaps? Prismatic Spray?

Moonfire is a spell unique to the Moon Domain, so I feel like you're stealing another domain's thunder by picking this as your 9th level spell. It's also a super, insultingly bad spell. Perhaps you could replace it with Prismatic Sphere?

And one more thing. That domain power is kind of sad. Maybe Give it that as well as +1 to caster level with [Light] spells (even though fewer than half the spells in the domain have that descriptor)?

I added to the domain power, as you suggested.

As for your spell suggestions, I specifically avoided Prismatic spells (Especially Sphere; it's meh, and there's like 5 domains that grant it already), and True Seeing doesn't feel very light-y to me. I do understand your complaints about Moonfire, though. I'm searching for a better 9th level light spell.

Only 4 blasty spells out of 9, not too much right? But does not 8 out of 9 of the spells do damage? So they are blasty spells. And four attack, two buff and on control is still seven all combat spells.

Wizards is, of course, bad at making spells too. They also get stuck on the light=damage=everything must be combat. So you need to do a bit of work:

Spells:
Level 2: Veil of Brightness(aka Veil of shadows) (SpC)
Level 5: Light Form(aka Shadow Form) (SpC)
Level 7: Elemental Body(light)(aka elemental body) (SpC)

But your missing the basics like 'control light' too.

So you're basically saying I should rewrite existing spells to fill half the spell slots. I was actually trying to avoid writing lots of light spells for this. Looks like I don't have much of an option, though. *sigh* I'll put some thought into it. I have a couple ideas already; I'll write them up and update later.

Noctis Vigil
2012-08-18, 09:21 AM
New spells are up.

Debihuman
2012-08-18, 10:35 AM
You might want to compare this to Frog Dragon's Light Domain: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7498548&postcount=1

Also, there are a lot of spells with the Light Descriptor (stole this list from a post in from Sorcerer's Place Forums)

From Player's Handbook 3.5:

Continual Flame (Cleric, Sorcerer/Wizard)
Dancing Lights (Bard, Sorcerer/Wizard)
Daylight (Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Sorcerer/Wizard)
Faerie Fire (Druid)
Flare (Bard, Druid, Sorcerer/Wizard)
Light (Bard, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer/Wizard)
Sunbeam (Druid, Sun domain)
Sunburst (Druid, Sorcerer/Wizard, Sun domain)

(For some strange reason, "Searing Light" didn't have the Light descriptor.)

Book of Exalted Deeds:

Celestial Brilliance (Cleric, Glory domain, Sorcerer/Wizard)
Crown of Brilliance (Cleric)
Curtain of Light (Sanctified)
Lantern Light (Cleric, Paladin, Sorcerer/Wizard, Vassal of Bahamut)

Spell Compendium:

Anger of the Noonday Sun (Druid)
Blinding Breath (Sorcerer/Wizard)
Blistering Radiance (Cleric, Sorcerer/Wizard)
Breath Flare (Sorcerer/Wizard)
Glowing Orb (Cleric, Sorcerer/Wizard)
Guiding Light (Bard, Cleric, Sorcerer/Wizard)
Heartfire (Bard, Druid)
Light of Lunia (Celestia domain, Cleric, Sorcerer/Wizard)
Light of Mercuria (Cleric, Sorcerer/Wizard)
Light of Venya (Cleric, Sorcerer/Wizard)
Lucent Lance (Cleric, Sorcerer/Wizard)
Luminous Gaze (Sorcerer/Wizard)
Moonbeam (Moon domain)
Moonfire (Moon domain)
Nimbus of Light (Cleric, Purification domain)
Radiant Assault (Cleric, Sorcerer/Wizard)
Rainbow Beam (Sorcerer/Wizard)
Rainbow Blast (Sorcerer/Wizard)
Ray of Light (Bard, Sorcerer/Wizard)
Righteous Aura (Paladin)
Shadowblast (Cleric, Druid)
Wall of Light (Cleric, Sorcerer/Wizard)

While many spells aren't appropriate, here's is what you get when you plug "light" into WotC's spell index:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/spells&tablefilter=light

Monte Cook's Hallowed Might also has a Light Domain though it's his 3rd party stuff.

Debby

Noctis Vigil
2012-08-18, 02:43 PM
There are lots of good light spells out there already, yes. The problem is, they all deal damage after about 4th level or so. Most the utility spells you listed (and many of the blasty ones) were already on this list at one point or another before I removed them in favor of utility. I will look up the light domain in Hallowed Might though; Monte Cook usually does pretty good stuff.