PDA

View Full Version : Anybody want my dungeon?

Hanuman
2012-08-17, 05:39 AM
I've created a full 230'x230' densely packed dungeon using Maptools, it describes the entire thing perfectly separating hidden events from players, all walls have VBL's on them, all treasure accounted for, and the events are complex enough to fit anywhere from ECL2 to ECL6.

The dungeon is decked out with traps, fluff, treasure, monsters and graphics.

Is there any interest in porting this over to the forums? Can you export maptool campaigns with images intact and such? Not a whole lot of experience doing that.

nedz
2012-08-17, 06:48 AM
I don't think so, sorry.
I like writing my own, and this has the advantage of fitting into the campaign.

You might get more interest if you specified details, like
expected party level, brief description of theme, etc.

Hanuman
2012-08-18, 04:58 AM
Ah thanks, kind of new to posting in-campaign content.

It's a multi-purpose construct-heavy dungeon, it's around ECL4 but it has everything from ECL2 to ECL6.

Not sure what else to say about it, I mean, really putting it out there just saves like 20-30 hours of work for a DM for a lot of aspects of a dungeon that don't really matter in the long-run. Anyone familiar with map tools knows that pretty much everything can be deleted, swapped out or changed to suite.

TBH I'm pretty surprised things like this aren't a commodity in this community-- I'm starting to think most people who post/read these boards don't really play anymore =/

Eugenides
2012-08-18, 05:23 AM
I'd be interested in looking at it. I'm a fairly new DM, and I'm trying to get a feel for how to do dungeons etc. That also happens to be just about perfect for my party(they're currently 3rd level with some adventures already lined up that can easily get them to 4th or 5th.)

So, yes, I'd love to take a look at this dungeon. What tools etc would I need to look at this?

JoeYounger
2012-08-18, 09:34 AM
Id also like to play with it!

Ramshack
2012-08-18, 10:20 AM
I'm running an e6 campaign and this seems like it would fit well. I'd be very interested in it

Anxe
2012-08-18, 10:44 AM
Doesn't maptools have its own forum? You could go ask there.

Gandariel
2012-08-18, 12:22 PM
I'd like to check it out too :) i'm lazy at designing dungeons and i'mstill a newbiw GM. so thanks :)

LordHenry
2012-08-18, 12:45 PM
I'd also like to see it, I'm always interested in different dungeons.
On a sidenote, I'm thinking about starting to design my dungeons with maptool? Is that advisable?

Eugenides
2012-08-20, 08:31 PM
Well. Criticizes community for not wanting these things/not playing, then when community expresses interest in his dungeon he disappears.

Togath
2012-08-20, 08:55 PM
I would also be itnerested in seeing the dungeon, I only started using maptools yesterday, and I'm not very good at it yet(not sure if I'm missing some icon thingies, or if i need to go and find some place with icons to download for things such as light sources, doors, tables, and treasure chests)

BShammie
2012-08-21, 01:21 AM
Well. Criticizes community for not wanting these things/not playing, then when community expresses interest in his dungeon he disappears.
He hasn't logged on since before anyone requested to see the map. I doubt he is avoiding the forum just because people didn't want to see his map. We shouldn't expect people to log in every day. :smallconfused:

Is there any interest in porting this over to the forums? Can you export maptool campaigns with images intact and such? Not a whole lot of experience doing that.
I'd like to see the map too, if you can figure out how to export it with everything. :smallsmile:
I've never used Maptools for much of anything so I can't answer your question personally, but its wiki (http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Introduction_to_Mapping#Exporting_Map_Images) may be a nice place to search.

Endarire
2012-08-21, 02:54 AM
This map sounds spiffy!

Can you make a PDF version of it, too?

hoverfrog
2012-08-21, 03:38 AM
Sounds interesting. If nothing else it is always worth seeing how other DMs think when designing dungeons.

Wonton
2012-08-21, 04:01 AM
This map sounds spiffy!

Can you make a PDF version of it, too?

I would very much appreciate this as well! I just downloaded MapTools but am very confused by it. It would be cool to just see a readable version of it.

danzibr
2012-08-21, 06:57 AM
No idea how to export it, but I'm totally interested!

Actana
2012-08-21, 08:39 AM
I'd be very interested in seeing the map. I run MapTool almost exclusively for gaming and know a tip and trick or two.

There are two ways to export the map. Either just save the campaign file, which will save all the maps and properties you have therein. It creates a .cmpgn file which you can then copy/share.

If you want to export only the map and everything in it, select the map, then go to the map toolbar and press Export Map. It'll create the map in a separate file.

Hope that helps.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-08-21, 10:45 AM
Yeah, sure. I'd like to cannibalise take a look at the dungeon.

Hanuman
2012-08-22, 01:21 AM
That was pretty unexpected, nothing then BAM.

Alright fellas, because of the large interest I'll be polishing it heavily (graphics, more flavor text, and a built-in guide to help DM's choose the event triggers) and will release it next monday, which I'll set to be the release date for any further content I make in the future.

-Note
I'm still not quite sure if it all transfers, but I'm releasing this as free content. Anyone may change, edit or use the dungeon as they see fit.

Big_Joe
2012-08-28, 02:14 AM
Iam also interested in this, would be perfect for my actual Campaign :)

Knaight
2012-08-28, 01:22 PM
I'm interested - or more accurately, I know a few people who I think would be interested who aren't on the forum, and am interested in getting it to them.

Big_Joe
2012-08-30, 05:59 AM
Do you publish the Dungeon in a new Thread or in this one?

Madeiner
2012-08-30, 07:18 AM
Can you post the .cmpgn file for maptool? Would be much easier to use. Also map files can come in handy to port them over to another campaign framework.
What maptool version did you use?

GenghisDon
2012-08-30, 10:32 AM
Ah thanks, kind of new to posting in-campaign content.

It's a multi-purpose construct-heavy dungeon, it's around ECL4 but it has everything from ECL2 to ECL6.

Not sure what else to say about it, I mean, really putting it out there just saves like 20-30 hours of work for a DM for a lot of aspects of a dungeon that don't really matter in the long-run. Anyone familiar with map tools knows that pretty much everything can be deleted, swapped out or changed to suite.

TBH I'm pretty surprised things like this aren't a commodity in this community-- I'm starting to think most people who post/read these boards don't really play anymore =/

I thought exactly the same thing when I started looking at posts here.

How do I get this module of yours?

Tyndmyr
2012-08-30, 10:34 AM
I've created a full 230'x230' densely packed dungeon using Maptools, it describes the entire thing perfectly separating hidden events from players, all walls have VBL's on them, all treasure accounted for, and the events are complex enough to fit anywhere from ECL2 to ECL6.

The dungeon is decked out with traps, fluff, treasure, monsters and graphics.

Someone might, but here's the thing...low levels are disproportionately well served by well written dungeons with plot, all manner of detail, etc. So, you're going to get somewhat less interest.

High level stuff...dramatically less so. Set your dungeon at CL 16+, and the amount of competition you have drops off a cliff.

Knaight
2012-08-30, 12:40 PM
Someone might, but here's the thing...low levels are disproportionately well served by well written dungeons with plot, all manner of detail, etc. So, you're going to get somewhat less interest.

High level stuff...dramatically less so. Set your dungeon at CL 16+, and the amount of competition you have drops off a cliff.

Finished stuff already on maptools is significantly less common.

Hanuman
2012-09-04, 01:42 PM
I've been scrambling for time, I've got it to the point of "workable" but a lot of the details need to be filled in. For a kick-door campaign it's done.
It's not a module but it is a few dozen hours of pre-done work, and mechanically it fits all the roles needed.
I will improve this until it hits ver 1.0 over time.

Mushroom Temple ver 0.4 (Maptools vLatest)
http://www.filedropper.com/mushroomtemple4

The dungeon has an exit to both up and down, there's a very large water pipe going through the middle so you'll need to match that up with any levels up or down you have.

The dungeon is rated at CR4, but help is granted to the players early-on, some of the areas are immensely dangerous if dealt with poorly, and to compensate there's an immense amount of treasure available.

More backstory will be added later, enjoy, and please respond immediately to report bugs, missing components or errors.

Gandariel
2012-09-04, 02:00 PM
Downloaded. I'll check it out immediately. Thanks infinitely!!!!

EDIT: Looks pretty awesome and well detailed =)

Now i never used Maptool before, so i'm pretty clumsy with the commands and can't appreciate it properly, but i'm sure someone else will =)