PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Multiclass confusion... advice would be a boon

Krazzman
2012-08-17, 08:09 AM
Hello again folks,

yesterday we had our weekly gaming session. But this has left me with a few doubts. Doubts about my preferred powerlevel compared to that of the others.

Introduction-things:
First off we have 2 3.5 Campaigns running, one currently at level 2 and one at level 6. Additionally I run a PF campaign for when the other DM needs a break or we play at our location (since hauling books is pretty hard with their collection).
We have two 3.5 campaign because one player only can about every other week and we thought it would be better to start a new campaign instead of introducing him right in the middle of the dungeon where our level 6 group wastes his time.

In both rounds the DM mentioned something about over-powered. I thought about it and he seems to be right. I play for fun and power you could say. I come here to ask for advice on certain choices or how to build something since I most of the times build a character around a mechanic I think I will be enjoying long enough.

In both campaigns I now thought about multiclassing to either get to the powerlevel of the others/get into the middle of it or to get more flavour into the character.

Campaign 1: Level 6
This campaign consist of 3 players. The DM's and my Girlfriend and me. His GF made a Ninja/Fighter aiming for Duelist, TWFing Kamas and took most of the feats needed for it.
My GF made a healing focused Cleric of Shauntea... at first, but since we needed a brute she multiclassed with Crusader and is about to take RKV (she missed some skill req's).
I for my Part play a Warlock. As I have probably mentioned in some threads before. I chose to be a bit "range-blasty" because Eldritch Glaive was in a book that we don't have so not allowed. And Eldritch Claws are out because of Dragon Mag.
My Stats, Invocs, Feats and gear:

My Stats: Str 13 Dex 19 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 16
My Invocs:See the Unseen, Entropic Warding, Eldritch Spear, Flee the Scene
My Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Quicken SLA, Empower SLA
Skills of interest: Bluff and UMD 9 ranks in
Equipment:
MW Longspear, +1 Mithral Chainshirt, Hat of Disguise, Cloak of Resistance + 1, Wand of lesser Vigor (39 Charges left), Wand of Mage Armor (8 charges left), Hewards Handy Haversack
His personality is... he is lazy, brags about most of the monsters he fights that he has seen cats that were scarier than them and in general I didn't put up with any sort of source for his powers, he just likes to show them and run around not getting killed. His Alignment is CG.

At the moment fights are pretty one-sided. Healing is done through Reserve-Feat/Lesser-vigor and else I am hardly hittable (210 ft range + at will dimension door + illusion is pretty distracting).
For example the last big battle was against some zombie-mooks, a fighter with class levels and 1 really nasty morghthingie. Even though the Ninja and my Warlock were stunned for 7 rounds I took hardly any damage from that warriors attacks, our Cleric is unhittable in his +1 Full plate and jeah, her foehammer does significant damage.

Now the main Question: should I try to multiclass into something better suited for the group? Is there something that would complement him in doing a bit more damage (as that is what he is lacking the most and what stretches fights...)?

The next one is a bit tougher... I think.

Campaign 2: Level 2
We reached Level 2 yesterday in that group. This one consists of an additional person that just started playing with us. It was the second session too.
The Ninja/Figher-Duelist is Playing a Druid wanting to go Stormlord.
My GF decided to multiclass Warlock/Bard.
The new Guy is afaik a Favoured Soul of a Water Goddess (he is pretty mysterious... but where's the fun knowing everything anyway^^).
I decided to finally play an Initiator-Class. I thought about it... and let the dice decide. With 18 14 15 15 14 11 I thought a Warblade would be good.
Feats and so on:
Feats: Power Attack (never used atm since my +6 bonus dmg kills everything at the moment anyway) and EWP: Spiked Chain.
Stance: Punishing Stance (only used once)
Maneuver: The one to get Concentration instead of Will-save, Steel Wind (attack 2 targets), Saphire Nightmare Blade (because I mistook it) and Sudden Leap.
Equipment: MW Breastplate, Greatsword, Spiked Chain and a MW Composite4 Longbow(without Ammunition atm).
"Backstory":
He's an Untherian Male Warrior(archetypical not class) that ventured to the Dragoncoast to seek a few Discipline-Shrines. He's CG, tending a bit CN follower of (haven't found a fitting deity). He is a bit religious as in having a holy symbol with him. He speaks Draconic, Chondatan and Unther. He survived the Spell-Plague and the Mulhorandi Invasion due to being trained in a desolate and far off place. His mentor (an elven JPM) died to the plague shortly after telling him, that his training was finished. Due to some storms on his first trip via ship... he now does not like it (some drunken idiot threw the chest with fruits over board) and he had to live from rum and fish-soup for a week (10 days).

He is atm percieved a slight bit OP (but seriously a fighter would be more threatening with Cleave, Weapon Focus and EWP). But I try to work against this. Now some of you might remember a thread I revived "not that recently anymore" about doing Warblade 1/Fighter 2 to get Imp Trip and so on pretty fast. But I'm not that sure if this is a good tactic to take 2 fighter levels next (effectively granting me 2 feats, Heavy Armor Prof and cost me 1 Initiator Level and skill points). Now other things I have thought about were Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 2 (quite unsure about WF if I can take it) and Ranger (because of Track and such, maybe trapsmith to get to disable device) or Warlock 2 (as some sort of crazy idea for 2 24h buff invocs...). I would like to take a 2level dip to get a 3rd Level Stance at Warblade 4.

TL;DR: Searching for Multiclass/PrClass/Feat ideas for a level 6 Ranged Blaster Warlock and Level 2 Warblade going for improved trip (maybe) to match the groups overall strenght's better.

Jeah, I hope you can help me with that one... it's gnawing on my mind since yesterday.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the books I can use...
Completes (All), PHB2, Core, ToB:Bo9S, Faerun Setting, MM1to5(I think for races only but those both are fixed to Human). (This leaves HFW or Binder out). Additionally after asking the DM: Stormwrack, Frostburn and Elder Evils are also availble.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-17, 09:30 AM
For the Warlock, I would suggest looking into hellfire warlock (FC 2 and Online IIRC), though you can't enter the class earlier than level 9 or 10 due skill pre-requisites; but you can start paving the road by diping binder for one or two levels. Another option might be to dip Warmage and get Versatile Spellcaster and then head up to Eldritch Theurge (CMag) which allows you to add Eldritch Blast damage to spells or vice versa, can't recall exactly.

For the Warblade a two level dip in fighter is indeed a good idea, it lowers your power slightly and actually fixes your stance progression. Personally I would dip Barbarian 2 and get the Wolf Totem variant (UA/SRD) which gives you pre-req free Improved trip at level 2, while keeping you HD, saves and skill points the same in adition to rage which is always useful; but I think that would be more powerful.

Krazzman
2012-08-17, 09:50 AM
For the Warlock, I would suggest looking into hellfire warlock (FC 2 and Online IIRC), though you can't enter the class earlier than level 9 or 10 due skill pre-requisites; but you can start paving the road by diping binder for one or two levels. Another option might be to dip Warmage and get Versatile Spellcaster and then head up to Eldritch Theurge (CMag) which allows you to add Eldritch Blast damage to spells or vice versa, can't recall exactly.

Thanks for the response. There is a problem with that. The books for HFW and Binder are not available. My books (consisting of UA, CMag and some faerun books are at our old group DMs place where I still don't know how to tell them to get my books back....).
In what book does Versatile Spellcaster come up? And Wasn't the Warmage casting keyed of Intelligence? Or was this just the Edge-Ability?

For the Warblade a two level dip in fighter is indeed a good idea, it lowers your power slightly and actually fixes your stance progression. Personally I would dip Barbarian 2 and get the Wolf Totem variant (UA/SRD) which gives you pre-req free Improved trip at level 2, while keeping you HD, saves and skill points the same in adition to rage which is always useful; but I think that would be more powerful.

I don't know how the dm would react about the barbarian variants. I'm playing with a Whirling Frenzy one as I think that would fit better. I'm going to look into it and ask him about that.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-17, 11:13 AM
Wolf totem only trades either trap sense of uncanny dodge. So it is compatible with Whirling Frenzy.

Than
2012-08-17, 12:34 PM
Quicken SLA requires "Spell-like ability at caster level 10th or higher". Removing that for something else should help bring you back to the power level of the rest of the group. Empower is still good as your 6th level feat though.

Krazzman
2012-08-17, 12:59 PM
Quicken SLA requires "Spell-like ability at caster level 10th or higher". Removing that for something else should help bring you back to the power level of the rest of the group. Empower is still good as your 6th level feat though.

Oh? The one I took had no such requirement... Jeah that's probably what I get for using something out of the internet due to book shortage...

Any suggestions what I should take instead?

Krazzman
2012-08-18, 04:38 AM
I don't know if a "bump" is the right way to do it, but it should be better than opening up a new thread.

So my questions stand: what feat should I take for the Warlock on 3rd Level, does he already qualify for Versatile Spellcaster? And when Multiclassing with Warmage for ET, do I have to wait for level 9 to take the Warmage level there and then advancin as Theurge further?

Hope you can help me further.