PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Necahual's Journal: Monk Campaign

inexorabletruth
2012-08-17, 09:21 AM
The gnolls come crashing through the thicket into the clearing, cackling wildly with ferocious bloodlust. Upon seeing you standing there manacled and the still form of Sam, they're laughter turns to sinister grins.

"Corpses or slaves?" The closest one growls at you as he draws his battle axe.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/Monk%20PbP/Battle%20Grid/ForestBattleGrid.jpg

Roll initiative, please.
Sneak's Initiative: [roll0]
Gnoll Initiative: [roll1]
Gnoll Initiative: [roll2]
Gnoll Initiative: [roll3]

PSinger
2012-08-17, 07:22 PM
So, here's the problem. The whole concept was to hide behind a tree and attack as they were passing by.

inexorabletruth
2012-08-19, 09:33 AM
OOC:

Okay. Here's the fix.

You are in M4, Roll a hide check.

The Gnolls stumble upon the smashed cart, which is conveniently, exactly where the lighter green section of the map is located in cell range I6:L8.

Your ability to hide determines what the Gnolls do next, so go.

P.S.
Sorry for the sloppy posting, I'm juggling a lot in the mornings right now.

PSinger
2012-08-19, 02:52 PM
Necahual's Hide check (hahahahaha!) [roll0]

EDIT: I'll take that laughter and raise you one guffaw. :smallamused:

inexorabletruth
2012-08-21, 12:15 PM
Gnolls get a +3 to Spot, so we'll go with the initial post.

Re-rolling Init though, because something glitched:
Sneak: [roll0]
Gnoll 1: [roll1]
Gnoll 2: [roll2]
Gnoll 3: [roll3]

PSinger
2012-08-21, 04:43 PM
With a roll like that .... Necahual sneezes terribly and loudly. Not only is it easily heard, but in the bending forward, and backward recoil of the sneeze, she sees that she was easily seen. Oh, well. :smallsigh:

Initiative [roll0]

inexorabletruth
2012-08-22, 12:08 PM
Initiative:

Gnoll 3 (17)
Necahual (8)
Gnoll 2 (8)
Sneak (3) [readied action]
Gnoll 1 (2)

Sneak winces at the fumbled stealth attempt, but the gnolls offer only expressions of the most sinister joy. Yipping with excitement one of the gnolls darts around the perimeter of the cart, launching an arrow at you from his short bow!

Gnoll 3's actions:
Move: I9 to G4
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Confirm Critical and extra damage if necessary:
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Battle Grid:

RPXP bonus:
Take 10 RPXP for playing off the roll. :smallcool: Very cool.

PSinger
2012-08-22, 05:32 PM
Cool. Thanks.
Realizing her mistake, she sees the gnoll tearing around to the side to shoot at her. Her instincts do just enough to put her hand up in front of he face as the arrow slams through it. She immediately snaps it off, and with the small meat of a hand both ends of the arrow fall from the hole.

Her quick survey shows that being outnumbered with someone that likely has no real combat skill (Sneak) puts her in a bad position. Still, her martial training teaches her to endure and to outlast the opposition. A reckless charge is just that ... reckless. She jukes and jives to make her more defensible against the other archers, but goes straight for the one that shot her (to H4). She relies on her defensive training, ducking low. She torques to her left, and then snaps back to smash its hip with both of the shackles.
Rus taught me some good shorthand. MA = Move Action. SA = Standard Action. SwA = Swift Action. IA = Immediate Action. FA = Free Action. FAA = Full Attack Action. 1RA = 1 round action.

CE = Combat Expertise. CE'x' = how much in CE. (E.g., CE2 = 2 points active in CE.)

MA: Move to H4.
SA: CE2.
* Attack: [roll0]. what's the penalty for the shackles, or is there?
* Damage: [roll1]. Is there a bonus from the shackles?

Current AC: 16.

inexorabletruth
2012-08-24, 10:44 AM
Stats for manacles as improvised light flail:
Attack: -4
Damage: 1d8 (Bludgeoning); x2 Crit

(You don't have to use the manacles. They're just an always equipped weapon. They give you a d8 instead of your usual d6, but you sacrifice attack accuracy since they're not designed for combat.)

The gnoll thrusts his hips back, sticking out his arms, just in time to dodge the swipe of the manacles, which grazes harmlessly against his leather armor. In the excitement of the swift motion, though, the gnoll drops his bow to the ground.

(OOC: Something has happened to your character sheet. All your skills and feats are missing. Please roll a Sense Motive check.)

Another gnoll, seizing the chance to close in on his prey, raises his battle axe high, darts up to the tree you were hiding at and upon rounding the corner to close in to flanking position...

Sneak's Readied Action:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Confirm Crit and Bonus Damage if needed:
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Sneak shoots him right in the neck with a tiny dart, which staggers the Gnoll a bit and causes the gnoll a moments hesitation. As he pulls the dart from his neck with his shield hand, he wobbles a bit and shakes his furry head, looking suddenly quite weakened.

Gnoll 2's Turn:
Move: L9 to L4
Turn interrupted
Standard: Total Defense (AC 17)

inexorabletruth
2012-08-24, 11:08 AM
Sneak never makes a sound, beyong the faint click of his shot.

Sneak's Turn:
Move Action: Hide [roll0]
Move Action: Reload

Seeing the strange reaction from the marauding gnoll, the last gnoll to attack surveys the area again to discern the source of the attacks.

Gnoll's Spot: [roll1]

inexorabletruth
2012-08-24, 12:00 PM
The last Gnoll growls angrily and ducks behind the wreckage of the cart.

Gnoll 1's Turn (ironically, the last of the Gnolls):
Move: J10 to J9
Hide with Cover: [roll0]
Gnoll 1's AC: 19

OOC: I forgot to give the -20 penalty to Sneaks Hide check, since he fired first. So everyone knows where he is, but he still has cover against all enemies.

Gnoll 1 and Sneak have total cover against each other.

Gnoll 3 bares his fangs at you and draws his axe and shield...
(Roll AoO)
then sweeps low, with an underhand swipe at your thigh.

Gnoll 3's Turn:
Move Action: Draw Weapon
Free Action: Draw Shield
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Confirm Crit and Bonus Damage:
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll5]

Battle Grid:

You're up.

PSinger
2012-08-25, 10:32 AM
ALL TTW sheets are being decimated. We just saved our character sheets the other day, so they should hopefully have been downloaded properly. It's related to their physically moving a server. :smallsigh:

inexorabletruth
2012-08-26, 12:03 PM
OOC: (I'ma just put OOC in spoilers from now on.)
It's cool. The sense motive was for a feint which wouldn't have worked anyway, since my attack roll was crap.

The idea was that the Gnoll was dropping the bow, pretending to be more incompetent than he was, so that you weren't prepared for his chopping attack with the axe. But even denied your DEX bonus, I still can't hit you with a 7.

But on the topic of AC... is that still accurate? You don't have your bracers of armor anymore. All you've got is your clothes, your manacles, and your Cloak of Resistance. I think your AC is 13 right now.
10 [Base] +1 [DEX] +2 [WIS], right?

Anyway... it's your turn.

PSinger
2012-08-27, 01:24 AM
Yup. Sheet updated.
Necahual does as she was taught. She settles into a defensive pattern, striking where possible, and seeking to simply outlast her opponent. In time, he will become exhausted and make a mistake.

This time, she will use the manacles to help her as a center balance on spins, as well as a good anchor for overhead kicks. But she will attack with the weapon she knows best .... her body. But for all of her spinning, the gnoll with its long neck isn't ready for her corkscrew headbutt to where the collarbone meets the neck (suprasternal cavity).
SA: CE2, [roll0]

AC: 15.
EDIT: It was a maneuver she had envisioned, but had never tried. She thrusts her head forth like a missile with ferocious power, but not enough accuracy to deliver it. "One day," she thinks to herself, "I'm going to make that work, and whoever I hit it with is going to have a bad day."

inexorabletruth
2012-08-27, 02:59 AM
OOC:
The way I envision that is so cool. If you ever succeed on that attack, it will Stun on crit for 1 round, with a 25% chance of the opponent dropping to a kneeling position too.

Gnoll 2:

Seeing a perfect opportunity to take you down, Gnoll 2 charges in, lining the razors edge of his axe to your right shoulder.

"Raaaaahhh!" It hisses hungrily,
Move: (Charge) L4 to I4
Attack: [roll0] (Charge + Flanking)
AC 13

Confirm Crit:
Attack: [roll2] (Charge + Flanking)
Damage: [roll3]

Sneak:

In a secretive crouch, Sneak tiptoes in right behind the charging gnoll, Rapier in hand. Just as the Gnoll attacks you, he comes in low, rapier aimed at the distracted gnoll's kidney.
Move: J1 to K2 to J4
Attack: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
Sneak Attack: [roll7]

Confirm Crit:
Move: J1 to K2 to J4
Attack: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]

Gnoll 1:

The gnoll behind the wreckage prepares a sinister strategy. He puts away his axe and draws his shortbow. After nocking his first arrow, he turns to get a bead on Sneak, and lets loose.
Move: Sheathe weapon
Free Action: Draw weapon, draw arrow.
Attack: [roll10]
Damage: [roll11]
vs. Flat-Footed (From Sniping)

Confirm Crit:
Attack: [roll12]
Damage: [roll13]
Damage: [roll14]

Gnoll 3:

The gnoll narrowly avoids your head-butting attack, but is quick on his feet to retort. Appreciating the assist, from the flanking gnoll, Gnoll 3 howls with glee and, sidestepping left to bring his axe toward your exposed ribs, he chops downward, eyes flashing with fervent glee.
Attack: [roll15] (flanking)
Damage: [roll16]

Confirm Crit:
Attack: [roll17] (flanking)
Damage: [roll18]
Damage: [roll19]

Your turn.

Battle Grid:

PSinger
2012-08-28, 06:56 AM
Twice now Necahual's defensive strategy has worked. As gleeful as the second gnoll was in getting to a flank against me, so Necahual sees it as a chance to use his tactic against him with Sneak. She comes in sideways with right elbow to the flanked gnoll's chest.
Thanks, it hit me as a cool variation on drunken boxing's corkscrew to torso! :smallsmile:

Attack: CE2, Flank, [roll0]
AC: 15

EDIT: Thunk on whatever armor ... speaking of which, what type of armor? And they are just using axes 2-handed but not shields?

inexorabletruth
2012-08-28, 10:41 AM
OOC:
They're standard Gnolls as seen in MM1, page 130:
Weapons: Battle Axe and Shortbow
Armor: Leather and Heavy Steel Shield

Gnoll 2:
DM Note: This is meta knowledge for me so don't read the spoiler. I just needed a reminder to keep me from cheating.
This Gnoll has a -2 STR penalty.

Clearly no novice to battle, Gnoll 2 swings through with his glancing blow, letting the axe go high into the air and bringing it down towards Necahual's face in a criss-cross motion, attempting to drive you back, as he side-steps across the battlefield.

Attack (Aid Another): [roll0]
Move: Shift from i4 to H3

Sneak:

"Ach!" Sneak takes an arrow to the thigh and staggers in pain, and reaches up with his hand crossbow, launching another dart at the retreating Gnoll, then limps into the cover behind the lower hanging leaves of the tree

Special: [roll3], [roll4]
Move: Reload, Shift into J3 for partial cover.
Hide: [roll5]

Gnoll 1:

Gnoll 1 pops his ugly head out from under the wreckage and fires another shot- this time at Necahual.

Free Action: Draw arrow.
Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]
Move Action: Shift J9 to K9
Hide: [roll8]

Gnoll 3:

After his axe narrowly misses your ribs, Gnoll the uses the weight of the axe to swing low and around, performing a spinning side-step. He brings the axe out wide and fast, aiming a wild blow at your mid-section, using the momentum of his spin to power his swing.

Move: Shift from G4 to H5
Attack (Power Attack -1) with flanking: [roll9] add +2 if Aid Another worked.
Damage: (Power Attack +1): [roll10]

You're up.

Reposting Initiative:

Gnoll 3 (17)
Necahual (8)
Gnoll 2 (8)
Sneak (3)
Gnoll 1 (2)

Battle Grid:

inexorabletruth
2012-08-28, 10:42 AM
OOC:
They're standard Gnolls as seen in MM1, page 130:
Weapons: Battle Axe and Shortbow
Armor: Leather and Heavy Steel Shield

Gnoll 2:
DM Note: This is meta knowledge for me so don't read the spoiler. I just needed a reminder to keep me from cheating.
This Gnoll has a -2 STR penalty.

Clearly no novice to battle, Gnoll 2 swings through with his glancing blow, letting the axe go high into the air and bringing it down towards Necahual's face in a criss-cross motion, attempting to drive you back, as he side-steps across the battlefield.

Attack (Aid Another): [roll0]
Move: Shift from i4 to H3

Sneak:

"Ach!" Sneak takes an arrow to the thigh and staggers in pain, and reaches up with his hand crossbow, launching another dart at the retreating Gnoll, then limps into the cover behind the lower hanging leaves of the tree

Move: Reload, Shift into J3 for partial cover.
Hide: [roll5]

Gnoll 1:

Gnoll 1 pops his ugly head out from under the wreckage and fires another shot- this time at Necahual.

Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]
Move Action: Shift J9 to K9
Hide: [roll8]

Gnoll 3:

After his axe narrowly misses your ribs, Gnoll the uses the weight of the axe to swing low and around, performing a spinning side-step. He brings the axe out wide and fast, aiming a wild blow at your mid-section, using the momentum of his spin to power his swing.

Move: Shift from G4 to H5
Attack (Power Attack -1) with flanking: [roll9] add +2 if Aid Another worked.
Damage: (Power Attack +1): [roll10]

You're up.

Reposting Initiative:

Gnoll 3 (17)
Necahual (8)
Gnoll 2 (8)
Sneak (3)
Gnoll 1 (2)

Battle Grid:

PSinger
2012-08-28, 05:56 PM
Necahual "stomachs" the blow. :smalltongue:

She hopes to trade a blow with that same gnoll that cut her by kicking it in the stomach with her left shin.
FA: 5' free move to I4.

SA: CE2, Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

AC: 15.

Also, with firing bows and moving, when did they have time to ready their shields? Readying shields provokes AOOs.

inexorabletruth
2012-08-29, 10:46 AM
OOC:
The first Gnoll to speak had his battle axe ready in post #1. Gnoll 1 puts his axe away (I didn't say what happened to his shield, so we'll say he dropped it) while he was behind the cover of the cart in post 15.

Gnoll 2 had a battle axe in post #9.

Gnoll 3 start with bow and arrow, so he dropped his bow as a feint. You attacked before he drew, so you were in melee range by then, which means you definitely should've gotten an AoO there. He drew his weapon and shield in post #11.

I apologize for the oversight. Go ahead and roll you AoO.

Grr... I messed up my turn here. Sorry, my son is being a pain this morning so I'm only half paying attention to what I'm doing. I deleted what I did on this turn because the action I was going to have my Gnoll take was illegal. Then I realized I accidentally deleted my attack rolls too. :smallsigh:

Because of that, Gnoll 2 auto misses on his turn. I'm pretty sure it was a crap roll anyway.

inexorabletruth
2012-08-29, 11:38 AM
Gnoll 2:

The dart bounces harmlessly off of Gnoll 2's shield, who is momentarily confuses by the clanging sound it produces and looks up from the battle to see what's going on around him, unable to discern Sneaks huddled form in the foliage.

Action: Gnoll 2 skips his turn.

Sneak:

Sneak doesn't waste the opportunity. He fires another one at Gnoll 2, and wisps away to better cover.

Attack: [roll0] vs. FF
Sneak Attack: [roll2]
Move: (around the tree) J3 to K1 to I1
Free Action: Reload
Move Silently: [roll5]
Hide: [roll6]
Sneak and Gnoll 1 have total cover against one another.

Gnoll 1:

Gnoll 1 takes another pot shot at Necahual.

Attack: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]

Gnoll 3: HP 3

Gnoll 3's eyes bug out as the wind is knocked from his lungs. You hear the wet snap of ribs cracking under the pressure of your powerful blow. He staggers to the right, vying for higher ground. As he takes a moment to measure his opponent with new respect, he climbs onto the rubble of the cart, holding his axe out defensively.

Move Action: (Provokes AoO) H5 to H6 to J5
Climb DC: 0
Balance (DC12): [roll]1d20[roll]
Attack (Power Attack -1 + High Ground +1): (if he survives the AoO and the Balance check) [roll9]
Damage (Power Attack +1): [roll10]

Grrrr! I rolled on my own. He passed the balance check. and his damage is one higher than posted. I gotta go. My boy won't stay out of trouble.

PSinger
2012-08-30, 01:16 AM
Necahual's AOO against Gnoll #3
* Attack [roll0]
* Damage [roll1]

EDIT: As he moves slightly to the left to grab his shield, Necahual takes advantage with a low rising kick to his neck!

PSinger
2012-08-30, 01:20 AM
Necahual continues to fight tactically, but attempts a right-forearm to Gnoll 2's head.
Attack: CE2 [roll0]

AC: 15

inexorabletruth
2012-08-30, 11:47 AM
Gnoll 3s windpipe is crushed by the force of your kick and he drops to the ground, clawing at his ruined throat. And as Gnoll 2 falls dead, your arm swings high, hitting the space where he used to be.

Sneak: HP 7

You can see Sneak lowering his hand crossbow as he ducks behind the tree again.

(Sneak cannot attack Gnoll 1, due to the total cover.)

Move: I1 to K1
Free Action: Reload
Readied Action: Attack as soon as he sees the Gnoll

Gnoll 1:

Peeks his head out, to see his two companions fall dead. From there, he immediately turns around and runs.

Interrupt- Sneaks readied action:
Special: [roll2], [roll3]

which glances harmlessly off his armor.

Gnoll 1's Move: Withdraw 60 ft.

Battle Grid:

OOC:
We can go out of Initiative now, if you'd like. Or you can take up the chase to catch the Gnoll. Your call.

PSinger
2012-08-30, 12:45 PM
The Undying Way's philosophical sense of "outlasting" an opponent doesn't mean crushing them. Sometimes, it is to fight so fiercely that in time they lose their will to fight. She does see if the gnoll's had anything useful .... their weapons, shields, and armor definitely not counting.

The just-a-girl asks simply, almost rhetorically, "You hurt?" as she passes by Sneak to go pick up Sam.

Once she has Sam hefted in a fireman's carry, she says, "If I knew how, I'd have chased that gnoll down to buy us time to make a litter. But I don't know how, we'd probably botch the job, and they'd be fast on our tail anyway. Let's go."

inexorabletruth
2012-09-02, 01:23 PM
450 XP
50 RPXP

Sneak spits at the notion of letting a gnoll get away alive, but turns to more important business. Sneak is quick to pounce on the dead gnoll closest to him, then curses his luck when he discovers no coin purses or other valuable items. Still, he helps himself to the bow and remaining quiver of arrows. And looks torn for a moment on stealing the axe, shield and armor for a moment or just continuing to escape.

"There's no way that's all of them." He mumbles to himself as he heads over to you with the dead gnoll's battle axe in hand. "We may have to fight again. Spread your arms across that rock, girl. Maybe I can pick the lock with this. I don't think you're going to try to escape, and I need you functional in case we get overrun again."

You find 600 SP spread out in several pouches in the pockets of your gnoll's body. It would appear this gnoll had been looting the bodies of the bandits.

PSinger
2012-09-02, 01:34 PM
Necahual's data is once again blasted. I'll have to upload again when I have the time.
Necahual says with a smirk, "It seems I have more of a knack of finding things than you do."

She'll sort out 200sp for each of them, then she'll put 200sp in Sam's purse. "He did get the worst of this and lost his wagon and horses ... and son, after all."

She'll allow Sneak to try to pick the lock.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-03, 02:21 PM
Sneak accepts his share of the coins with a shrug, and strides up to the rock with the axe. Then lines up his shot carefully and hoists the axe high in the air, bringing it whistling down.

CLANG!

The axe bounces off the chain and nearly hits you in the face. The chain has a minor scratch on it.

"A heh..." Sneak laughs, a little embarrassed as he shakes the sting out of his hands and lines up the shot again.

CLANG!

"Curse it! Stupid, dull, piece-of-junk axe. A moron's weapon if ever there was one."

That time he managed to make the chain spark a little, but did no significant damage to the chain.

"If I dared to take the time, I could pick the lock. But we have to get going. We're not too far from camp, and it won't be long before the fey come out." He shrugs apologetically and tosses the axe aside.

PSinger
2012-09-03, 04:23 PM
Necahual nods, and (cause we forgot) asks Sneak to help hoist Sam onto her shoulders like a sack of potatoes. Because of the mancles, she can't do a fireman's carry.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-03, 06:49 PM
The two of you saddle up Sam and trudge onward. As you travel, you can hear in the distance the sounds of the gnolls encountering the crash site.

A howl breaks out in the distance, but whether they continue their pursuit or not is difficult to tell.

The woods are crawling with activity, and you can feel eyes upon you as you go.

You can hear the sound of a bird on one side of you, and then a different bird on the other side.

Out of the brush, a man stands and interrupts your path. He is wearing a thick cloak and low cowl that covers his face. The sleeves of his shirt stop short, revealing the same hand crossbow that Sneak uses, which he presumably made visible on purpose.

"Sneak? Is that you? Where's the rest of the group?" From the voice, you can tell that it's actually a very tall woman standing in front of you. "And who's the whore?" She says with a someone catty tone.

Sneak stops and relaxes visibly. "Dead. We were routed by gnolls. I escaped with Sam and this prisoner."

"Prisoner's not blindfolded, Sneak." She quips.

"We had to defend ourselves. I couldn't fight the gnolls alone!" He says, bristling a bit. "H-How was she supposed to fight blindfolded?" Sneak is obviously starting to blush.

The bandit guard doesn't move. "Blindfold her and put the manacles back on her," She says to the trees, "One of my men will carry Sam. Sneak. Go and report to the boss. He'll want you to lead some men to the site where the gnolls attack."

Another one of the bandits drops down from a tree near Necahual and takes Sam from her and sets him down on the ground, then arranges the manacles back around your feet.

Sneak shrugs and departs, eager to get away from the bossy woman.

PSinger
2012-09-03, 10:46 PM
Necahual looks down at the man as he is about to put those manacles on her legs.

"If I crush your head with a kick if you try to put those on me, your friends will drop me. The thing is .... I will crush your head before your friends drop me."

She looks at the leader, but wary of Manacle Man, and says while holding up her shackled arms, "My hands are already bound; that's enough. I have fought to protect not just myself and Sam, but your man Sneak. I've killed two gnolls and sent another one packing. My brother freed himself from yours only to escape into the forest and likely get killed before sending word back to the abbey, so I probably lost the only family in the world that I have. I am wounded, I am tired, I'm still operating on adrenaline so I'm likely to make rash decisions, and I am feeling euphorically over-confident after the gnoll skirmish.

"Instead of treating me like a .... what was the term? Whore? .... Trust my word, as Necahual of the Amedio, that I will give no betrayal of your lair. Having given my word, even the senior monks at the abbey will not dare to seek that undoing, and would even punish me if I ever did - to them or anyone else. That is likely to make me much more 'co-operative' and will make things go smoothly for both of us.

"If you wanted me dead, you would've killed me. But I am worth a poor ransom. So, I am guessing that your boss will seek the same thing from me as I from him ... some sense of what's been going on, and can we work together to investigate these monstrous incursions. If that is the case, then despite any historical differences, it is possible that - even if only tenuously at first - abbey and bandit might aid each other.

"But let me be clear. If that man with the manacles goes for my leg, I'll give him that leg. If the other with the blindfold, he'll find my skull like iron. I am willing to die, and you'll have nothing. What are you ready to do?"

inexorabletruth
2012-09-05, 11:18 AM
The tall woman doesn't budge.

"Let me make this perfectly clear. You're not alive on any orders from the boss. You're alive because, for the time being, I say you may remain alive. And no outsider in a century has walked into the borders of our camp without a blindfold on. And if you think I'm willing to bend those rules and risk the safety of this encampment for one loud-mouthed, half-naked brat, you've got another thing coming."

The man with the manacles appears to have put his hand on his weapon belt, just in case things get hairy.

She continues, "You're alive. You may stay that way if you do not become an inconvenience to me." She says it as flatly as if she were reporting the weather. It's neither a threat to harm, nor a promise to protect, simply terms she feels you are in no position to refuse.

OOC:
I know this feels like railroading, but believe me: I don't even know what's going to happen next. None of this is plot point, and I'm not doing anything special to keep your character alive or kill her. I'm just playing out the character roles (and rolls) and seeing what happens next. You decide where this side story goes, PSinger. Good luck; I'm watching. I kind wish I had some popcorn.

PSinger
2012-09-05, 03:05 PM
"Very well," says Necahual, "I will accept a blindfold .... just a blindfold."

Understand, that blindfold and manacle are two different things. Manacles take some doing, crushing a windpipe does not. If he tries to manacle beforehand, then it will be easy. However, she should easily have time to crunch his body with a hipfold .... and unlike fighting blind, he already gives me his contact point where the attempt to manacle is.

PSinger
2012-09-05, 03:07 PM
Posto revealioso!

inexorabletruth
2012-09-06, 12:56 PM
It's still difficult to make out any expressions the woman may be making about your defiance, as she remains silent for a moment. A touch of amusement is in her voice, though, when she instructs the bandit to put the blindfold on.

The world goes dark once again. You can feel the bandit's hot breath back of your neck as he tightens the binds, a little too tight for comfort. There is another pause, then you can feel the cold of the flat of a blade against your neck.

"She may be free to walk, but double bind her hands."

OOC:
There is now a readied action against you (if you attempt to attack) with a lined up shot. Since we both have readied attacks, we'll roll init if you choose to attack. But bare in mind. If the person holding the sword wins the Init, it's an auto-hit. IRL, this would have a very high likelihood of killing an opponent, but since we're using fantasy rules, I'll rule it like this:

Auto Hit, must confirm Crit. If crit, the damage is standard multiplier for the weapon, but will cause bleeding like Wounding effect.

If you can find an official rule for a lined up attack that isn't Coups de Grace, then we'll use that.

If you choose not to attack, read on.

If this were a war game, I'd have just executed anyone who dared to have terms for being my prisoner. But I'm not her, so I rolled for it, and she likes your moxie.

You feel the shackles of your manacles pulled snug around your waist, and your hands are bound to your chest. You can hear the clicking of a lock. You are now bound tightly enough to where your hands and forearms rest on your chest, but you can pull away about an inch. Still, punching is right out.

PSinger
2012-09-06, 04:41 PM
Necahual is fine. It was never about escape, it was about showing strength; doesn't matter if stupidity might have been thought or not, she showed will. Being double bound on the hands but having her feet free, in her book, is a tiny victory.

It's the tiny victories that count when imprisoned.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-08, 04:27 PM
You are led by the arm through a dizzying network of paths, but after a minute or so, you can begin to hear the busy hum of civilization.

You hear the sound of another young man call out...

Young Man: "Hey, Bri. Bring another stray home?"
Female Guard: "Came in with Sneak. I'm going to show her to the boss."
Young Man: "Not like that your not."
Female Guard: "Don't tell me how to do my job. I taught you everything you know."
Young Man: "Haha! Didn't take long, so I had to continue my training from someone else!"
*Smack*
Young Man: "OW!"

You hear the sounds of a small scuffle and some laughter.

Female Guard: "Alright, alright back to business."
Young Man: "Easy way or fun way?"
Female Guard: "For now, she's a guest. Easy way."
Young Man: "Very well..." There's a tinge of mock disappointment in his voice, then you hear a snap sound and feel a tiny prick on your neck.

It still kind of sounds like the Young Man: "So, what happened to the renofsnemgmoob...." the rest of the sentence trails off into an indecipherable echo and murmur or sound as it becomes difficult to tell up from down. You feel yourself falling, but you never hit the ground. The world becomes silent and dark.

OOC:
You can attempt to resist this effect if you'd like. Will: DC 17
If you choose to resist, then roll a bluff check if you want to pretend to be affected by it.

PSinger
2012-09-09, 03:43 PM
Of course she'd try to resist. She's a monk, and she demands mastery over her mind and body.
Will save [roll0]

PSinger
2012-09-09, 03:47 PM
..... continuing on.

With absolutely positively no loss of speech and full faculty (hey, nat '20') she turns her head to the source of the pricks - the sting and the guy and that delivered it - and says, "Toxins are expensive. I am here. My hands shackled. Blindfolded. Need there really be any more than that? If you feel you must do it again .... and again ... and again, it's neither my coin to pay for, nor my experience and time in crafting, such an ineffective paralytic."

inexorabletruth
2012-09-09, 03:55 PM
OOC: Ninja'd... so... I guess disregard.
Crushed it! :smallamused:

Okay... wat do? Are you going to just stand up defiantly and stick your tongue out, or pretend to be still under the effect?

If we're going to act, then I want to see a skill check. Take your pick:

Bluff
Perform: Acting ( or General CHA check)

as well as a general intelligence check.

If you are going to stand up in defiance, you can ready one standard or move action as a surprise action, because they will definitely not see that coming.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-09, 04:17 PM
"What the?!" you hear the guy exclaim. "You stubborn little BIT-" You feel a thunderous crack on the back of your head.

This time you do feel yourself hit the ground...

OOC:
The fun way. What did you expect... smarta$$ing to a bunch of thugs?

You wake up strapped to a rack, but the table is angled upright in such a way to simulate leaning hard against a wall. Your legs are bound tightly to the table, but your arms are shackled by chains, giving you some degree of movement, but not enough for your hands to touch each other.

Somebody's Voice: "She's got some fight in her. And she's got a mouth on her... she can't move, but I'd keep my distance."

Somebody Else's Voice: "Very well, keep your crossbows trained."

The blindfold is lifted from your face. The light in the room is a bit painful, everything is a bit blurry, and you can smell vomit on your chest and mouth. It's possible you have a mild concussion. You can see the face of a man examining you with a hint of concern as he wipes your head and face with a damp cloth. "She's a mess. Can we get some water, please?"

You're splashed in the face and chest with two buckets of water. The cold blast helps to snap you alert.

The man goes back to looking at your head. "Quite a nasty bump... did they really have to knock her that hard?"

That First Person's Voice: "They said she put up resistance."

"Hm... you're lucky to be alive, then. Sabrina must like you. How do you feel? Can you speak?" He asks as he applies something cool and soothing to a very tender spot on the back of your head.

PSinger
2012-09-09, 06:55 PM
"I have a headache," she says matter-of-factly, "but nothing I haven't been given time enough in training, and likely one that is kinder to me than when you've had too much to drink."

"On the way back from a massacred town with no souls surviving, Sam and my brother were jumped by your band, who in turn were jumped by the gnolls. My brother is wiry and get away, and your man Sneak helped get me and Sam get away some distance.

"Three gnolls tracked us down, and Sneak performed admirably while I helped him down two and send the other one packing. From everything that's going on, I'm going to assume that you are not in league with what might be a wizard that is cowing humanoids into attacking human settlements .... and that is a concern for both you and my monastery, whatever out ethical differences might be.

"Survival keeps little company with prejudice."

Then with a touch of concern, "How is Sam?"

inexorabletruth
2012-09-10, 10:47 AM
The man listens to you intently and seems to be studying your face as you speak.

"Sam will pull through. He has a lot of anger to quell before he allows himself to die. Your story matches his, and Sneak's story corroborates with both. And for that, I'm inclined to hear what you have to say without resorting to more barbaric measures."

He takes a moment to consider his next words as he checks the pulse on your arm.

"Perhaps you could tell me about this wizard."

PSinger
2012-09-10, 08:25 PM
"Actually," she begins, "I don't really know for sure. In fact, all I know is that it is some type of spellcaster, but my intuition is that he is a wizard or sorcerer of some type.

"A few of us monks went to Durgeddonvale after the thaw to check on them and to make sure everything was well. When we got there, it was desolation. There was only the barest hint that the townsfolk put up any fight. (Please help me if I mess up info, DM.) Their bodies were loaded into the main town hall.

"We found several of goblins hiding out, and we had a skirmish. All but two were killed. They reported that some (male, since they said "he") wizard was cowing the humanoids in the outlying areas into following him. The goblins claimed that their band actually came onto the scene after the massacre ... that they were not responsible.

"The rest of my fellows stayed behind to further investigate. Meanwhile, we bound the goblins to the pack mule we had, and I and my brother set off to the monastery so the goblins could be subject to further inquiry. On the way, we met Sam and told him that no one lived, and he steeled himself with anger for the loss of his son.

"Your merry band captured and bound us. Almost immediately, your band was attacked by gnolls. In the commotion I instructed my brother to try to shimmy out of his shackles and return to the monastery. He tried to complain about stoically staying with me, but I reminded him of the greater mission. He made it off the wagon, and I have no idea if he was cut down by a gnoll, made it to the monastery, or anything in-between.

"Sneak helped me and Sam out of there, but he had to carry the unconscious carter. I took over and three gnoll hunters were hot on our trails. Sneak fought bravely while I did what I could to help him. You know the rest."

She takes a breath. "As for your specific question, all we know is that there is a spellcaster; he is a man or appears as such; he is using the power of his magic to intimidate humanoids; the slaughter of an entire town is not the action of a simple raid but of a larger statement. What that statement is, beyond an announcement that a new player is on the scene, I don't yet know."

inexorabletruth
2012-09-12, 08:21 AM
The man listens to your story with an expressionless facade as if he were a therapist listening to a patient.

A voice from behind you pipes in. "She's lying. What about those monks who robbed our toll point near the bridge? She says she went to Cliffside to see that all was well. That fits the timing of the attack on our bandit camp. Besides, if you ask me... she went there to make certain the town was properly destroyed. I tell you, the monks and the outsider are working together. Give me a few minutes with her. After she's done spitting some teeth out, I bet she'll be willing to tell the truth."

The man looks in the direction of the voice, then back at Necahual. "She's definitely not lying. Either she's not telling the whole truth, or she simply doesn't know the whole truth."

He pauses for a moment.

"We are in no rush," he says to no one in particular. Then he matches his gaze to Necahual's. "You shall remain in our camp for the night. I should warn you. Escape from here, especially at night, would be a terrible idea. Monsters and dire animals roam these woods, and ever present are the fey. They will haunt your every step, terrorizing you until you are hopelessly lost and stricken with madness. They will see to it that you beg for death long before it is granted you. My men can do no torture that will match their trickery. That said, you are going to be transported to more comfortable quarters, that you may eat and rest. If you attempt to resist, your kneecaps will be crushed."

Assuming that his point is well made, he stands and nods to the man behind you. The blind-fold is slipped back on to your head and you are wheeled away. A series of twists and turns suggest that the structure you are in is fairly large, with intricate hallways. The difference between the ambient noise outside and the echoing quiet inside the building is stark once the kick open the doors and wheel you across the camp. You can hear derogatory murmurs about you by men and women who pass you by. Some lurid, but most are general insults about monks. After a short while, you come to a stop. You hear another door open and then close behind you. Your blind is again removed. A man is staring at you. This time, he looks younger and far more angry than the calm man you were talking to earlier. The hate in his eyes as he goes about his work unlatching you from the table seems to reach out and scratch at you. A quick look around shows that most in this camp, which you now see more closely resembles a thorp, seem to look at you the same way.

Your "comfortable quarters" appears to be an animal cage. There is a bed of straw in one corner, covered by a winter blanket.

The bandit finishes unlatching you, and it's a short drop to the floor. Your feet and arms are numb from the lack of circulation and cold, but everything seems to be functioning. Once you are free, he never takes is eyes off you as he heads to the door, rolling the table with him. "Food and water will be brought to you soon." A couple more bandits walk up to open the gate.

OOC:
If you have anything to add, here's your chance. Otherwise I'm moving on.

250 XP since you entered the bandit camp until now for all your entertaining RP as well as getting through this part alive. There were many things that could have gone wrong for Necahual between Sabrina and this cage.

BTW: Things Your Character Knows About Bandits
The monks of Azer's Flame frequently patrol the trade routes near the monastery. Essentially, the monks and the bandits have a similar relationship with each other as cops and gang bangers would. The fact that you are alive tonight is probably no indication that you will remain alive while here. However, while all bandits are criminals, not all of them are evil. Many bandits are simply lost children, runaways, or downtrodden poor who had nowhere else to go, which is why most of them are young and passionate people. Whether this info is useful or not, is up to how you wish to RP, but it is a commonly understood fact amongst the monks of your temple.

PSinger
2012-09-12, 04:13 PM
Given the candor and the relative kindness of what she takes for the leader, she just nods when he says what he has to say, is wheeled across with out any further outburst or reproof, and when the last jailer has left, she doesn't acknowledge him. She sits in the middle of the cage to meditate calmly in the face of this adversity, as an Endurant stoic is likely to do at such times.

When it is time, she will eat and drink.

From here on out, it is really up to you to provide the next stimulus. To her, though wretched, she understands her situation and trusts that the universe will sort itself out. In the meantime, the one in charge has shown a measure of honor, and she will honor that by being an appropriate prisoner.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-13, 11:39 AM
While no feast, your meal of stew is suitable, and surprisingly delicious, and the cool spring time water is excellent.

The time passes tediously... occasionally a bandit will stop to curse you for what they assume you did to their brother/cousin/father/etc. But no violent act is actually taken against you.

The closest thing you have to company for many hours is a little girl with dirt all over her face and skinned knees who sometimes comes to the cage to stare at you as if you were a zoo animal.

What little is left of the long day passes, and as evening approaches, you can see Sneak and a woman walking together. She has dusky skin and exotic green eyes. Her hair is cut into a mohawk that is pulled back into a ponytail. She is tall, strong and walks with a subtle glide that comes from a lifetime of stealthy movement. She would be attractive, though a bit intimidating, if not for a nasty looking brand on her left cheek. They look rough and in low spirits and seem to be arguing with each other about something.

Then the woman lets out a long-suffering sigh and the two march on over to the cage. Sneak avoids eye contact while the woman stands there with her arms crossed over her chest, looking slightly annoyed and impatient.

"Your valiant suitor here would desire a word with you," she says passive aggressively. You recognize the voice as the hooded woman you met at the border of the bandit camp.

"Shut up, Bri!" Sneak retorts defensively.

The woman's eyes narrow dangerously. "You don't get to call me that, you little toad."

Sneak backs down from the intimidating gaze and looks back to you. "We went back to the site today." He holds out Coanacoch's signet ring. "We found and routed the gnolls, but this was all I could find of your brother."

The woman who doesn't like to be called Bri observes Sneak's solemnity and shifts her weight to her other hip. "He wasn't with the gnolls. But that's not necessarily a good thing. At Sneak's request, I followed your brother's trail as far as I could go... to the mouth of the Dyrad's grove. If that's where your brother wandered off to, the I hold no hope that we can find him alive."

After saying the words, the woman's face softens a bit, as if she regretted blurting it out that way. Her tone quiets a bit, almost sympathetically. "Sneak thought you should have the ring. Look... I'm... sorry." She backs down and nods toward Sneak.

Sneak reaches inside the cage to hand you the signet ring. "Most of us here have lost someone... we find it's easier to remember them if you keep something." He reaches for his own chest with his other hand, and you can see that he is clutching some kind of necklace underneath his shirt.

PSinger
2012-09-14, 12:41 AM
Necahual reaches out to take the signet ring slowly, grabs the ring but doesn't take it away from Sneak immediately as she goes through some internal dialoge, looks up to Sneak and nods and takes the ring and puts it on her finger.

She gives a nasal sigh and continues meditating until it is time to attempt to sleep.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-14, 03:10 AM
As the sun sets, the cold night sends a biting chill.

You awaken once in the night to find that someone has made a fire pit for you, out of reach for you, but close enough to provide a hint of warmth against the cold sting.

The morning comes too early, and the thick canopy of the woods prevents any real knowledge of the passage of time.

You can see a small troupe being led out for some kind of mission, and a wiry old gent coming in to the borders of the thorp, his coat and pants sagging from picked pockets.

The man who took you to your cage yesterday comes to the campfire and kicks it out... apparently disgusted by the act of hospitality. "Fetch someone to clean this up," he snarls at the nearest underling. He glares at you as he puts a hand on the gate. "Boss says no rack today. Just some rope will be fine, so I'm going to tie you now. I'm not supposed to hurt you if you cooperate. But you know what? I really, really hope you give me a hard time."

With that, the door is unlocked and he steps inside.

PSinger
2012-09-14, 10:18 AM
Let's deny him of hopes and pleasure. I'll be good.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-15, 09:35 AM
The guy very roughly ties your arms behind your waist and pushes you out the cage.

When it seems evident that you aren't going to fight back, he glowers at you angrily. "Not so tough now that you're in our territory," he taunts, then guides you to a structure... a hut really, but one that is much larger than the others here. When you step inside, you can see that it has been stripped bare except for a tiny wood burning stove, a few chairs, and a simple wooden table. There is a tea kettle sitting on the stove and a wisp of steam is rising from its spout.

The man you spoke to yesterday is standing next to one of the chairs, holding a tea cup. Sam is sitting across the table, looking a bit confused. He gives you a wide-eyed glance, then looks back to the man. You can see the man more clearly now than when you were first being questioned by him.

He is actually quite unimpressive looking by normal standards. He isn't particularly tall, his chin is soft and his forehead is wide, leading up to a receding hairline, even though he doesn't seem particularly old. His clothes are simple and unassuming, and his expression and demeanor is neither imposing, nor arrogant. His only remarkable features are his eyes, which spark with intelligence and alertness, and his posture which is both straight and relaxed, as if the man has never slouched in his life, and is somehow more comfortable that way.

"You implied some concern about Sam yesterday. I thought you'd like to see that he is alive and well." He gestures to a nearby chair. "Sit." he offers. He pours each of you a cup of tea then hands them to you and Sam. He pours himself a cup, then has a seat at the far end of the table.

There is a moment of silence while he considers each of you. Then he looks to Necahual. "Your presence here is causing quite a stir. Many in this camp want you tortured and executed. You've been in captivity one night and already men have started dueling over who gets to kill you."

He takes a sip from his tea. "Sam is an old friend of ours. He believes that you should remain alive, and insists that you've played no part in the strange happenings lately, such as the events at Cliffside. I'm inclined to believe him."

You feel a tugging on your wrists and the rope comes free. One of the bandits, holding the rope, backs up to the door again.

"In fact, I'm willing to believe that you monks are as much a victim now as anyone else. 'Survival', you said, 'keeps little company with prejudice.' We shall see."

He studies you intently now that you are free. Although he is perfectly still, you can tell that he is quite tense from head to toe, like a bear trap waiting to be sprung.

PSinger
2012-09-15, 12:46 PM
Necahual nods assent to his understanding of her words, but also for him to continue.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-16, 12:36 PM
He takes a breath and smiles. It's an odd, half smile that seems more implied than expressed, but his eyes express warmth and sincerity.

"As you know, Cliffside was raided; utterly destroyed. The few survivors who escaped fled here... to me. We learned much from them, but understood little of it. Until, that is, we met the very man you mentioned the day you arrived."

He takes another sip of his tea. "I say 'man'... there was an inhuman vigor within him that suggested something far beyond the frail limits of mortal form. He called himself Remus Manon, and I sincerely doubt that he is just a mere wizard."

You can see that Sam has become so transfixed by what the man is saying that he has raised his cup to his mouth, but forgotten to drink.

"He came to me, as an advisor and friend. A sage, through whose wisdom I could gain great power and wealth as a lord of bandits. He offered me an alliance with monsters, as well as valuable secrets; secrets I could use to manipulate and control the leaders of Abbor-Alz. I must confess... I was very tempted to take him up on his offer. Then the fey gave me an ultimatum...

"You see, we exist here by the whim of the fey alone, and they met with me in anger, accusing me of aligning myself with an outsider... a devil enshrouded in metal thorns. They threatened to destroy our home if he remained another night. So naturally, I went to ask him to leave in the morning, but he was already gone. I've not seen or heard from him since. But I do know this, the fey were unsettled by his presence. Fey are generally not bothered by the presence of wizards. Moreover, they are keen on riddles, and so I've also never seen them speak in a way that was so direct and openly threatening. They were genuinely angered, perhaps even frightened, by this 'Manon's' presence."

Sam still hasn't budged as the man gets up to pour some more tea for himself. He gestures the kettle at Sam, who suddenly realizes he was holding a cup, then takes a large gulp, and gasps, "Yes thank you." The man pours his tea and so he looks to your cup, seeing that you haven't even taken a sip, shrugs and puts the kettle back on the stove.

"What do either of you know about the baatezu?" He asks as he takes another sip of his tea.

OOC:
Your sheet seems to be blasted again. Have you considered using Myth Weavers? I never have any problems with them. Anyway, I need to know what languages you speak, as well as whether or not you have ranks in any Knowledge skills.

If you don't, roll an INT check for common knowledge about the baatezu (DC10).

PSinger
2012-09-16, 10:31 PM
I'm gonna go with "baatezu" as being so specialized a term of devil that the normal berk wouldn't know ... in fact, the concept that devils and demons are even separate creatures and philosophically why that is seems beyond an INT DC 10 check. Ergo ...
Necahual screws up her face at such a strange word, and then says haltingly like a schoolgirl trying to answer something they know nothing about, "It's a zoo filled with bats? That's .... that's strange."

As an afterthought, "Seems like the faerie folk have some sense of taste after all."
Due to issues of sexism noticed by myself and friends here (many female), and the inactivity of the site's hosts of doing anything about them, I do not deal with MythBusters.

However, the events of recent have taught me an important lesson. Constantly ... CONSTANTLY save the character. I've uploaded Necahual again, being sure to remember and carry over her XP.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-17, 11:31 AM
Sam doesn't seem to be looking at anyone anymore. "Bay-AT-eh-zoo" Sam murmurs. He looks genuinely unsettled.

Your host looks to Necahual, first trying to determine if you're making a mockery of the situation, or are just too much of a grunt to know these things. Then he looks over to Sam as he over-annunciates the word.

"Please try to appreciate the gravity of this conversation. The lives of many people in the Abbor-Alz depend on it. I'm no friend to the monastery or its ways, but compared to the evil that threatens this province, I am an ally to any who would oppose it." The man no longer looks relaxed. His brow is furrowed, and his typically expressionless face shows a hint of criticism and doubt. He breathes deeply through his nose and sets down his tea cup.

"Perhaps that is enough for now." He looks to Sam, who doesn't seem to be paying attention to anything anymore. His hands are trembling, however.

He gestures to his men who then bind your hands again and take you away. As your are escorted out the building, you can see that he is looking away from you.

OOC:
You're about to be interrogated. It won't be gentle, but how rough it is depends on the answers given and how much the interrogator believes what you say. Mostly, they want to find out your name, your rank, what you know about the inner politics of the monastery, as well as test your devotion to the monastery.

There's going to be a lot of dialog RP and skill checks: mainly Bluff, Intimidate, Diplomacy, Sense Motive, INT checks and CON checks.

Since this could get macabre, or tedious, depending on how the interrogation goes, I'd like to give you the option to fast forward through this, or RP it out.

Really OOC:
What sexism are you referring to? I don't really do much with Myth Weavers beyond build character sheets, so I don't know much about their policies.

PSinger
2012-09-18, 12:47 AM
Bluff checks are immaterial, as she will not attempt to lie. However, she will not yield tactical or 'privileged' information about the monastery.

Intimidate checks are immaterial, as she will not try to be a badass. But see above about not revealing important info.
*** However, Intimidate is usually countered by Will saves, isn't it?

Diplomacy checks, of course, will be needed ... though she is sorely lacking.

Sense of Motive will be useful in its own way, as it is needed to see through bluffing forms of torture.

Considering her training, does it have to be brute force INT and CON? Wouldn't Will/ Fort saves be more appropriate? What about Concentration checks for keeping calm under fire?

A 1st-level genius is not as likely to be as good at dealing with mental torture as an old master (with higher WIS at that). The bright kid just has more potential - with a higher WIS, not INT - in reaching greatness, while the the old master's far more inured to dealing with mental resistance.

Likewise for those who have trained with "body hardening exercises" that raw talent and toughness cannot account. First, INT makes no sense. This is exactly why monks have great saves across the board, they make their body and mind tough while their sixth sense gives them great evasion with Reflex saves and AC.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-18, 05:58 AM
OOC:

Bluff: Admirable, and totally your call. Just know the option's on the table.

Intimidate: Your choice, but even if you don't roll for intimidate, you may have to save against it. Here, your Will save will come in handy. Once again though, the option's on the table.

Diplomacy: A lot of this will effect how willing the PCs are to believe you. If they believe you are lying or misleading, they will result to harsher interrogation tactics; if they believe the things you say, they may not even lay a hand on you.

Sense Motive: You could learn as much from the interrogation with a good Sense Motive check as they will from you.

The INT checks refer to what your character knows. They would ask questions that you may not know the answer to, but your character would. Your INT check reflects how much knowledge your character has retained. What you would be willing to share would be based on a wide variety of RP things.

I should've been more clear about the CON check. I was trying to wrap up for the day, because my son was being super adorable, and I felt I should focus on him instead. I meant CON themed checks. Fort Saves, Concentration checks, and in some rare cases, I was going to let you add your CON modifier to certain skill checks.

Also, feel free to throw in any skill checks you want to use anytime during the game. Lostsole31 did it vs. Sam with his Sense Motive check, and I thought that was great. It made me think so much deeper about the character.

So... are we doing the interrogation, or skipping ahead? Fair warning, I'm going by the dice here, so things may get violent for Necahual if the dice do not favor her.

PSinger
2012-09-19, 02:07 AM
By the dice here. One of the toughest things is playing within the limitations, not just the wish-fulfilment, of our characters. It is interesting when people sometimes use INT as a dump stat, and then the player comes up with insanely resourceful things.

Instead, I'll make what checks I need here, and perhaps you can RP - instead of just "deliver" - what that means. That might mean more action on our parts.
Anti-Intimidate Will save: [roll0]

Diplomacy: Base roll [roll1] ... Possible modifiers? Bandits appreciate strength more than pretty words. Soooo, aid self to ...
* Concentration, to impress them with "courage under fire" [roll2]
* Fort save [roll3]
* Endurance Feat to withstand heat/ cold: [roll4]
* Will save ..... just ... ain't .... gonna .... crack. [roll5]
*** Add +2 if spells or effects (which include non-magical abilities that are 'effects') from the school of enchantment are used.
* Oooh! Here's one. Bandit camp needs some entertainment. Perform can be used with Tumble (but using CHA vice DEX). Tumble [roll6].
*** And just like in cowboy movies .... "Lemme see you dance!"
<<<< **** AC used as an "active defense" boosted by her total defense as she dodges humiliating things at her [roll7]. (AC mods as adders to d20, +6 for Tumble-enhanced total defense.
<<<< **** For bigger things like whipping rope lines. Ref save [roll8] ... with whatever bonuses for evasion.

...... That's as much as I can possibly over-eke with Diplomacy. That's the most important thing. To get them to like me. If I can do that, we might work together. On the other hand, I'm not my brother, so stoicism is my path.

Sense Motive: Base untrained roll [roll9]. Possible aids?
* Use CON instead of WIS for an additional +1. Pain brings focus.
* Again, Concentration. Getting into a Zen mood to become one with her surroundings. Wisdom through suffering. Through suffering, compassion. Through compassion, empathy .... sense motive. Obviously, a more long-term application. [roll10]
* It's important to keep aware of one's surroundings, including your jailers.
*** Listen [roll11]
*** Spot [roll12]
*** Quick bursts aren't enough. Sometimes, during torture, you have to have a point of focus. Change point of focus and study it with intimate detail. Search [roll13].

Again, she might share general knowledge, but nothing about the monastery other than 'proud' historical traditions and other things that anyone could look up themselves (or read on the rack cards at the hotels for tourists when they come to the area and want to check up on the sights). INT checks really are only for basic knowledge items. Because she is 'trained' in philosophy (arcane and religious), her knowledge isn't just limited to DC 10.
INT [roll14]
K: Arcana [roll15]
K: Religion [roll16]
EDIT: Wow. If that's not impressive overall, I don't know what the hell is.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-20, 12:32 PM
OOC:
I hope this post sounds as good as it does in my head. I'm fighting a cold and am very heavily medicated.

I caught a cold at the zoo and am very heavily medicated. I tried to RP out the interrogation scene based on your roles, and found it to be a bit out of my league with such a foggy head. Besides, it might be better to keep all this off camera anyway... let our imaginations do the work. So in the spirit of carrying on, here's some basics based on your rolls.

They take you to a room with no windows. The lone source of light comes from the doorway and a small potbelly stove. You see a chair in in the middle of it, and even in the faint light, you can see that it is stained dark with blood.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4095/4780772644_33604577d3_z.jpg

They sit you down on the chair and proceed to strap you in with rope.

A few of the bandits light the stove and then leave. You are left alone now with four bandits. One of them, the largest, is standing in the corner, grinning at you sadistically. While the bandit who took you here closes the door. He takes in a deep breath and savors the moment.

"Stinks in here, doesn't it?" He begins to pace in circles around you. "The sweat and tears of fear... pain. Some have even emptied their bowels on that very chair your sitting in."

"Heh, heh... piss and dung." The bigger guy laughs.

The circling buy stops behind you and runs his fingers through your hair until he's got a good firm grip, then pulls your head back so that your looking directly in his eyes. The jolt should've topped the chair, such was the force of the yank, and it becomes obvious that it is bolted to the ground. As he hisses his words through gritted teeth, spittle comes out and occasionally splashes you in the face.

"Boss thinks your playing dumb. I don't think there's any pretending to it. But it's my job to find out for sure." He throws your head forward and you can hear him dust off some strands of hair that he yanked out.

"My turn now?" The big man says as he lurches forward with a long metal rod in his hand.

The littler man holds up his hand in a gesture to stop him. "First, how about an introduction. You've enjoyed our hospitality for a whole day and never once volunteered your name..."

The minutes pass like hours. Most of it is threats and shouts, but occasionally to test your answer, or to emphasize a point, they punch you or beat you with the metal rod.

You learn a bit about the gang as they learn a bit less about you:

The Boss is beloved by the gang as a father-figure and brilliant mentor. Out of respect, he is never referred to by name, since for a thief, the length of your life is relative to the depth of your anonymity. However, there is a bit of a schism amongst the group, as some believe they should align their strengths with Remus Manon, while others would rather move on to greener pastures and leave the Abbor-Alz to its fate. Many object to the idea of the bandits and the monks working together, but Boss feels an alliance (a temporary one at least) is a critical first step towards deliverance from this terrible threat. As such the Boss's power is waning, and the man who is interrogating you may have some intentions of aiding in the usurpation of his power. Though, who actually wishes to become the new bandit leader is kept secret from you.

When they feel satisfied by the information you give them, they throw you back in your cage. You feel lumpy and sore, and angry red welts are turning into large, dark bruises.

In their frustration about how little you know, they got a little carried away at times, but did not beat you senseless. Reduce your health to 10 HP.

A few minutes later, the little girl who was staring at you yesterday comes back. Her hair is over her eyes and she approaches you. "Here." She holds out her little hand, and you see a small pouch. "It's mine... but you can have it."

PSinger
2012-09-20, 04:38 PM
Necahual takes the pouch gingerly and looks inside.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-22, 09:52 AM
You see that it's a homemade salve. "It makes it hurt less."

At a closer glance, you can see why she's familiar with pain reducing salves when you notice the swollen shiner on her eye. She adjusts her hair again to cover it up, then steps away.

"Why are you in the cage? Did you do something bad?"

PSinger
2012-09-22, 06:30 PM
Necahual takes the salve and nods gratitude - deeply, but without saying anything about it. She applies the salve where she will.

"Maybe I have done something to offend Quetlcoatl, but most likely I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. All of the things that could dress that are immaterial. Still, destiny leads me here for weal or woe. Normally, I would simply endure. That is my training, and that is what keeps me alive. But there is an evil out there that would consume this camp and my monastery in the same way an entire town was wiped out.

"And you, what have you done wrong?"

inexorabletruth
2012-09-23, 01:23 PM
She ducks her head a little bit, trying to cover more of her face.

"I'm not suppose to go near you... so who's 'ketsa-codal'?"

PSinger
2012-09-24, 02:43 AM
"He is my people's name for the Creator."

inexorabletruth
2012-09-24, 05:02 PM
The girl screws her face up in concentration and a hint of skepticism. "So... Ketsacodal's your god?"

"I've never heard of him. Gods don't really care much about us. I guess Ketsacodal doesn't care much about you either... if he left you here like this."

She kneels down and keeps scrunching up her face. "Daddy says they're going to kill you. Are you scared?"

PSinger
2012-09-24, 09:57 PM
"I am resolute, and willing to meet my fate .... whatever that fate may be."

inexorabletruth
2012-09-25, 11:21 AM
"I'd be scared," she mumbles, a little ashamed of herself.

Just then, Sneak walks up with a concerned expression. "Liddy... what are you doing here? Go play with your friends."

The girl ***** her head defiantly. "What are you, my babysitter now?"

Sneak still looks concerned and gives a knowing glance toward Liddy. "You know what will happen if your dad catches you here."

Liddy looks at Necahual. "I'm not scared. I'm... resolute. Besides, you don't think she's as bad as they say either."

Sneak stands there, a bit tongue tied. "...I just came to check on you. I heard they worked you over. Looks like I heard right."

He stands there, fishing for things to say. "I think the boss wants to send you home. You'd be the first person ever to leave this camp without belonging to the gang."

Liddy starts to take an interest. "They're just going to let her go?"

Sneak puts a hand on Liddy's shoulder. "I don't know, kiddo. But that's what Boss wants to do. You wouldn't believe the kind of arguing I heard in there. I thought it was going to break into a brawl."

OOC:
If you want to add anything, here's your chance. Otherwise, I'm going to fast forward to the next part of things happening.

PSinger
2012-09-25, 04:54 PM
Necahual looks at Sneak. "Sending me home probably serves just myself. I would like to talk to The Boss if I could."

inexorabletruth
2012-09-27, 11:55 AM
Sneak scoffs a bit. "I don't think you want to be in there right now, but I guess I could let him know when things settle down in there... What do you want to talk to him about?"

PSinger
2012-09-27, 04:48 PM
"If I'm set free, whether or not I actually leave."

inexorabletruth
2012-09-27, 09:26 PM
Sneak and the little girl both look stunned. "You'd actually want to stay here?" Sneak gasps. "Most of our people want you dead."

PSinger
2012-09-28, 02:24 AM
"Please do not confuse desire with duty. I do not reciprocate the desire to see anyone else here dead. With Remus Manon on the loose and intimidating creatures to decimate towns, how long do you think it will be before he returns in force to demand you join or die?

"Gnolls are raiders and hunters, right? To have attacked the wagon with solid bandit escort and to have given so steady a fight is not about a light engagement for a few morsels as it is a dedicated engagement. Not many, maybe. In fact, the few that did come but still gave such a fight are very likely a probe to determine strength-per-man of your people."

She thinks for a moment then looks up. "I have more to say, but it will be for The Boss."

inexorabletruth
2012-09-28, 12:50 PM
Sneak tries to act nonchalant. "Well... ok." He tousles Libbys hair for a bit and she ducks away from the affection, trying to act tough. "I guess I'll tell him when things settle down." Then he heads out.

Libby hangs out with you for a while. She doesn't say much; just watches you. After about an hour of this, you hear her gasp and dart away. A wiry man with haggard features and stringy, corded muscles comes by the cage. He has an unpleasant feel about him, in spite of his pitiable dress. He is talking with a few of his friends about his day. Mostly going on about the suckers in Durgeddonvale, or some attractive girls he saw while there. Presumably, he works as a beggar near there.

As he passes by you, he turns to you.

"What?" he barks as if you had shown any interest in him. "You got som'in ta say?" He kicks the cage and laughs at you. "HOW BOUT NOW?!"

If you have a response, don't read on:
When he doesn't get anything out of you, he spits a loogie at you and grins grotesquely. You see that what teeth he has left are black with wine. "Monastery whore..." One of his friends joins in the heckling. "It's a shame we have to kill her. Looks like we could have some fun with her first. I hear she's feisty."

The black-toothed man continues grinning at you. "Who says we can't? Besides... if she's wo-orth it, maybe we won't kill 'er after all. I could use another... special friend." His implications are lurid and chilling. His friends' sinister laughter and knowing glances say more than the black-toothed man's words ever could. "Let's go. I got ta turn in, then it's drinks on me!"

PSinger
2012-09-28, 03:23 PM
She faced far worse with torture. One of the best ways to annoy the thugs was to simply sit in meditation and ignore them.

She doesn't even wipe the spit from her ... not even as it begins to tickle down. That might unnerve him even more, especially if in his joy he tries to imagine what that's like .... and when it backfires on him because he has the creepy spider-on-me feeling of spit rolling down his own chin. (Oh, the power of suggestion!)

Once he's gone, she does wipe off the spit, but as her arm crosses over her face. She can't help. She just .... can't. Her face betrays just the slightest :smallamused:

inexorabletruth
2012-09-29, 12:41 PM
The day is long and the taunts are frequent. Sometimes people throw small rocks at you, sometimes it's rotten fruit. Others just turn their heads away. The girl doesn't come back for the rest of the day, but Sneak and Sabrina eventually do.

Sabrina has a bit of a smirk on her face, but it turns to a sneer when she gets closer to you. The smell of spending a day and night in the same cage, combined with what waste material, sweat and stink from the wounds, healing unguent and whatever rotten food has been thrown at you during your time here has created a pungent fetor.

"Not so smart now, I'll bet." She says as her nostrils flair and her lip curls into a sour expression.

"Lay off her, Sabrina." Sneak implores. "She's not what you think she is."

Sabrina sighs and puts a hand on her hip. "We've got to get you cleaned up. There's a bath for you and some fresh clothes. The Boss says as long as you continue to be cooperative, you may have some measure of freedom about the camp. Also, he wishes to meet with you again."

She unlocks the door and waves a hand in front of her face to fan the smell. "Let's be quick about it."

As she leads you out of the cage, you can hear her grumbling. Most of it is only half words, and barely imperceptible. Every now and then words like "border guard" and "not my job" pop out amongst the incessant whining, along with frequent obscenities and complaints about gender role expectations. She leads you to a simple, but sturdy hut:
http://www.independencehalltovalleyforge.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/ValleyForge/VFSoldiersHut.jpg

Inside, it's sparsely furnished, with a bathtub, a bed, a small pallet on the floor, a wardrobe, and a potbelly stove that is crackling with warmth. "This is my room... they had to take most of my stuff out because they still don't trust you, but you can bathe here. We're about the same size, so you can borrow," she points a finger at you, "BORROW! what you need from the wardrobe as fresh clothes. Leave your old clothes outside; I don't want them stinking up the place. I've got a washtub and some other supplies in the storage box out back. I'll let you use them to wash your things... if you still even want them."

With that, she steps out and closes the door behind her.

OOC:
Do you know how to put image size constraints on a picture in HTML? I really didn't want that image to be that dang big.

PSinger
2012-09-29, 02:50 PM
I don't know anything about images. You'd have to ask lost.

Oh, look! It's Abe Lincoln's boyhood home!
Drop clothes .... they're pretty much 'done for' after the torture anyway. She takes what she needs from the supplies out back. And she takes a bath. Long enough to clean and softly work at wounds, and more forcefully (but slowly) work at the bruises, and then only a few minutes more. That's long enough as it is, and she has no intention of giving the impression of being a pampered princess.

She looks for clothes that are as close to the looseness of monk's clothing as possible. (Giggle, I just had this ridiculously funny idea in my head of a floral print dress - a la 50s housewife - thinly belted, etc.) She steps out and heads to the Boss' lodge/ cabin/ countryside manor. There will undoubtedly be guards there so she'll let them know that she's there to 'reply to his summons.' (Which gives the impression that the Boss asked for her .... which, in point of fact, he did ... just nothing about immediately.)

inexorabletruth
2012-09-30, 01:06 PM
OOC:
Most of her clothes are practical, woodland survival outfits, mostly. Cold Weather Outfits, Explorer's Outfits, Monk's Outfit, Peasant's Outfit and Traveler's Outfit, but she is still a girl... you find a few Courtesan's Outfits in there as well. Most of them are dated or threadbare and probably more appropriate for the servants of nobles, but a few are well preserved with ornate bodices and embroidered skirts. If you wish to get "dolled up" for the Boss, you're welcome to. Cosmetics can be found in a box fastened to the inside of the door to the wardrobe. On the other door is a full length mirror.

Also, yours and lostsole's character sheets are blasted again.

If you really don't want to use Myth Weavers, may I suggest this site:
http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm

a more fancy version that you'd have to download is PCGen:
http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/01_overview.php

You'll have to save the file as some uploadable format, like a PDF file, and then upload it with something like Dropbox, but The Tangled Web or whatever server you're slumming it with is just no good.

When you come out of the cabin, you find Sabrina waiting outside, sitting on a lot and whittling. She seems bored, and quickly hops to a stand when you come out. She looks you over and nods her approval, then walks beside you to the Boss's cottage.

One of the guards raps on the door. "The monk is here."

You here a voice from inside, "Send her in."

The guard opens the door and you see that the room is much more ornately decorated than before, with cushioned furniture, animal skin rugs, ornate dishware, and various small trinkets and nic-nacs made of silver or electrum. Clearly they believe that, when cornered, a monk can turn most anything into a weapon.

Once again, the boss is sitting comfortably at a table and a servant is bringing him tea. Sabrina looks around in awe at all the valuable do-dads lying around. Her jaw is a little slack and she keeps fidgeting. Clearly, she doesn't see the boss often.

"Hello Necahual. Please have a seat. Sabrina, thank you for your services. You may go now."

Sabrina nods and backs out quickly. One of the guards steps inside the room and closes the door behind him. It's now you, The Boss, a servant, and the guard alone in the room. The Boss takes a sip of his tea as the servant pours a cup for you. "You must be famished. Would you like some venison?" He gestures to the servant who begins to prepare a plate for you. He pulls out some notes and looks at them.

"Necahual, of the Amedio Jungle... I must admit. We were mistaken about you. I hadn't expected you to be a Novice at the temple. Everything that has happened to you began under false context."

He sighs and takes a sip of his tea. "But I'm a silver-lining kind of man. Perhaps your low rank has provided you with some degree of protection that could be advantageous... I understand you wished to see me?"

The server puts a plate in front of you. It's a hearty meal of venison pot roast... and it's the most delicious meal you've seen since Ulyono had to leave suddenly.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps1319_TH2028C59A(2).jpg

PSinger
2012-10-02, 12:34 AM
She begins to eat. She is a stoic. She eats and enjoys the meal, but does so without falling on it.

"You already know your camp is divided," says begins. "That knowledge is nothing to you. But with Remus Manon out and about and likely the one stirring up trouble - enough to massacre a whole town - when he has mustered a force he will swing these non-fey occupied lands to create a redoubt for his forces. A divided camp will simply be washed away, either against itself or even some to a greater enemy.

"You have already heard some of my opinion on survival. But this bodes more ill than not. How does an entire town get slaughtered and the mess relatively neatly cleaned up, and your scouts have noticed no increased activity by the soldiers of [I forget where we are]?

"I believe there may be worse here, and I think that the walls of the Abbey might provide a better defensive point than the forest."

She sighs. "You have families here, a life, though a hard one. If you will not come to the monastery where stone can protect you, then I will stay here so that I may be here to give justice to the one who obliterated Durgeddonvale. I am sure we'll be seeing that party (or his minions) soon enough. If nothing else, what I witness that can provide greater intelligence might then actually go with me to the monastery if I had a scout."

inexorabletruth
2012-10-07, 02:31 AM
OOC:
Durgeddonvale is the neighboring town.
Cliffside Vale was destroyed.
Greyhawk is the setting.
The map we're using is of Flanaess, in the Abbor-Alz Mountains.
Here's a map. (http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Abbor-Alz)

Boss leans back for a moment and considers your words. "You're assessment is impressive, considering your limited knowledge of the situation. You are correct; my house is divided. Some of my camp believe I am too proud because I won't run or join. They wish us to disappear and find easier game east of the Nesser River. Others believe I'm missing a golden opportunity by not joining my forces with Manon. And nearly all of them think I've gone mad for inviting a monk to my house for dinner."

He pulls out a small crystalline sphere that emanates a faint white glow and sets it on the table, then casually gives it a spin. "But I'm afraid the walls of the monastery are already breached by the influence of Remus Manon. We," he gestures to his men, "are not safe there." He rubs his chin contemplatively as the ball continues to spin and dance around the table. After finishing some internal debate in his mind, he nods and takes a deep breath. "Perhaps we should start at the beginning..."

"We know who attacked Cliffside. And we know why it was covered up. We know that it was to be blamed on goblin hordes overrunning the area. What we don't know, is why. But it all comes back to Remus Manon, who is the source behind all this chaos.

"It is my belief that Remus is not human. Nor is he of any other race or species from this plane. The fey referred to him as an outsider. I believe that to be a clue. Initially, I took it to mean 'one who lives outside the woods' but I've recounted my meeting with Remus a thousand times... sometimes even in my dreams, and I believe him to be an... outsider, outsider." He sighs, and you can tell he's a bit embarrassed. It's the closest he's come so far to losing his composure. "It's a bit strange to say this out loud, but I believe he belongs to an outer plane called Baator, or at the very least, he serves one who does. Baator is a realm of pure evil that delights in the downfall of mortal men. I haven't finished my research on the subject, but I believe that he is here to begin his war on the Abbor-Alz Hills. His forces are small, but his influence is spreading fast. He uses that influence to pit one province against the other until the constant in-fighting tears this region apart. He has ingratiated himself with the leaders of every military establishment in this region, and has got them all thinking that he is here to help and advise. He thought he could seduce me with promises of power, and if it weren't for the fey, he would have."

He snatches up the crystal and rolls it around in his hand. "Now this protects me. It is called a Fiendslayer Crystal. It was no easy task to find on and acquire it."

He pushes his chair in and strolls about his room, trying not to look like he is pacing, while he rolls the crystal between his fingers. "If you wish to know who obliterated Cliffside- it was Remus Manon and a squadron from Durgeddonvale. Manon invited all the villagers of Cliffside to the town hall while the soldiers sacked the town and the surrounding farms, killing anyone who didn't go to the meeting. When the town hall exploded, all the soldiers attacked at once. We were powerless to stop it, but we managed to save a few. They live here now as refugees. According to the survivors, they all knew and loved Manon. He served as their sage leader and guardian. He earned their trust and their love. When he called the town meeting, all were happy to go and see him. They bickered and argued about who would get to sit closest to him while he spoke. Our spies could only watch as Manon walked out of the rubble of the town hall, close the door behind him, seal it with magic spells, and call his troops to order. The whole thing took less than a half hour."

PSinger
2012-10-07, 08:48 AM
OOC
When she was first captured, the bandits overlooked her cloak of resistance. Has that since been shredded with torture and the like?

inexorabletruth
2012-10-08, 01:20 AM
OOC:
It's your call if you washed it or tossed it. You claim to have tossed it for now, but I'll let you recall that decision if you wish. Most of these people have no intimate understanding of magical items, and so wouldn't recognize the cloak as magical. I'd be careful who you show it off to, though. It is a camp full of thieves, after all.

PSinger
2012-10-08, 02:58 PM
OOCShe'll keep it, but she'll actually bank on people not knowing it's nature. Otherwise, they wouldv'e recognized it by now.

It actually makes for an interesting item. A cloak of resistance that doesn't look nice, stylish, nor luxurious. Rather, it is a beat-up, soon-to-be-patched-up, old rag. :smallamused:

inexorabletruth
2012-10-09, 12:30 AM
"Necahual... I need someone to be our eyes on the inside. Your monastery is openly hostile toward us, so we can't just walk in there without inviting too much attention. We need to be on the lookout for Remus Manon, and we need to know what he plans to do next, and the best way to do that is to go where he is. We've already got spies watching the aristocracy in Durgeddonvale. That's how we found out what we already know. But we are blind inside the monastery. That's where you come in. I hope you are willing to cooperate in this manner. I realize that you have no reason to trust me, nor can you expect the alliance I'm attempting to build with you now to last beyond the current need, but Remus's machinations are far too dangerous to ignore."

PSinger
2012-10-09, 09:45 PM
Necahual says, "I have no problem with this, given this issue with Remus Manon. There will be some need to set up communication of some sort."

inexorabletruth
2012-10-09, 11:16 PM
"One has volunteered for this role. You've met him already. Sneak will be traveling with you as a lone survivor from Cliffside, who was out hunting in the woods and got lost. You decided to take him to the monastery before the bandits got to him. He will help with this endeavor, as well as meet with a rendezvous. His presence, and his curiosity will not raise much suspicion. But the knowledge that he is from Cliffside may provoke some attention from Remus Manon. This could cause him to do something that will reveal himself to our spy. Sneak knows the appropriate rendezvous points, and will relay to you what information we have to respond with every safe chance he gets."

Finally, he relaxes a bit and settles down. "Your wounds need time to heal. You may start tomorrow after you've had some rest. Sabrina and her men will guide you safely to the edge of the forest. In the meantime, you're free to move about the camp as you wish. But be careful... as you well know, there are some here who still want you dead."

PSinger
2012-10-10, 01:05 AM
Necahual will take what complete rest she can.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-11, 09:54 AM
XP:
300 XP for surviving the day of torture, interrogation, and mockery.
100 RPXP for the campsite experience so far.

OOC:
The ointments you were given by Libby help double the healing rate of your wounds. Did I tell you the damage you took during the torture? I don't remember. You were a tough nut to crack, and they only reduced you to 10 HP. You've been recovering ever since. I believe after tonight will be your second night to recover from the torture, please recover HP to your sheet as needed.

You finish the meal with Boss with sparse conversation thereafter. Although he is polite, you can tell that even he has nothing in common with a monk and therefore can't bring much to the conversation. His servant provides you with tea and more food as needed.

Then when you are full, you are free to take your leave. Outside the bosses house, you see less activity than you saw before.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM5_Maps/107544.jpg

OOC:
We'll use this map for the bandit camp. Just ignore the corpses. Boss's house is #3. Sabrina's house is #2, and the party seems to be going on at #6.

Many of the houses are emptied, as the various beggars and thieves have gone out to their respective territories to "earn" their living. Those that have remained in the territory appear to be the day-working staff: highwaymen and border guards.

The place doesn't really have a tavern to speak of, but to your right and ahead of you, there is a gathering spot around a campfire with a roast pig on a spit that some of the highwaymen are enjoying the warmth of while they fill their mugs with whatever inebriant they possess. Half-orcs, half-goblins, humans, halflings, and a half-elf are all sitting around the campfire, swapping stories or telling jokes. To your left, some children are playing near the creek. A wisp of smoke is rising out of the chimney from Sabrina's home, and to your far right you hear the sound of scuffling and fighting.

PSinger
2012-10-11, 05:35 PM
I investigate the sound of the scuffling casually. It could be more serious, but it could just be a couple of bandits blowing off steam.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-14, 11:46 AM
OOC:
OMG! I'm so sorry I didn't post earlier. For some reason, I didn't notice that this thread had been updated in my subscriptions. It never turned into a green check-mark like it usually does. I must have checked it when I was really tired or something and forgot about it. Work has been hell this week, and I've been coming home and dropping like a rock.

As you round the corner, you find a group of kids that have formed a circle around two other children. One of them is Libby, and the other is a slightly shorter dirty boy. The boy has Libby in a headlock and is slowly spinning her in a circle, giving the other children a chance to give her a swift kick in the rear. It takes a few tries, but Libby finally manages to knock him one between the legs and he loosens his grip enough for Libby to slip loose. Libby ducks low, grabbing the boy by the ankles and pulls backwards with all her might. The dirt-covered boy, with a surprised yelp, goes flying, face-first into the ground. She wastes no time charging up to him to kick him in the ribs. As soon as the kick lands the little boy rolls to his side to curl up in the fetal position, but Libby presses the attack and sits on him, landing punch after punch onto his neck and face. The other children, now uncertain of what to do about this sudden reversal of power, begin looking at each other for a sign of action.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-14, 03:28 PM
Your character sheet is blasted again.

Here's a web archive of your most recent character sheet. (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/Monk%20PbP/Necahual%20%28%20Readonly%20%29.webarchive)

I have Coanacoch's as well, if/when it's needed.

PSinger
2012-10-16, 12:15 AM
Necahual doesn't shout, she simply walks up behind her and says, somewhat softly, "Libby, you've done well. You earned his respect, but stop before you earn his hate."

inexorabletruth
2012-10-16, 06:18 PM
Libby looks up at you. Her lips are quivering, but she isn't crying. Instead, she just wipes her nose and gets off him. She looks like she wants to say something, but instead, she just runs off into her hut, which is the one in the 2 o'clock position on the map.

The other children seem terrified of you. Others look away in shame. The little boy who was fighting Libby scrambles to his feet and then looks at you with a face full of hate. "I don't need your help, monk. I'm telling mom that you got out of your cage!" He blows a raspberry at you, then he turns and runs.

PSinger
2012-10-17, 01:22 AM
Necahual shrugs and goes to the festivities.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-18, 11:31 AM
The campfire is warm an inviting, and even though you're full from the meal the Boss served you, you can tell the roast pig smells delicious. A small group has gathered in a semi-circle around the campfire and are patting lightly on some drums. Another bandit strums an ornate lyre of polished ebony and turtle shell with a silver crossbar while another one has joined in with a heavily used and aged pan flute made of stained cane and braided leather. The music is haunting, and mildly lurid. In the back, where the lighting is lowest, you can see that some of the bandits have taken up dance partners. (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/Monk%20PbP/01%20Chimera.mp3)

Other bandits have taken up more sedentary forms of activity, preferring board games, drinking games, or pleasant conversation. As you approach the outer circle of the meeting area, a few of the bandits notice you and stop what they're doing. They stare at you, mouth agape, as if you were a man-eating lion that had just wondered into their camp.

For a while, none of them move, and even some of the drummers quit playing to see what you're going to do next. Most of them are very young, teens and early 20s mostly. Sneak is among them playing a game similar to chess with an older gentleman. He wipes the ale off his chin and grins at the reaction of the group when you arrive.

PSinger
2012-10-18, 05:48 PM
She nods to Sneak in passing, and goes to where the bandits playing drinking games are now at a loss. She stands and looks on in the crowd. Very likely there is a second or two for others to figure out how to proceed (which is inevitable). She uses that second tactically. She whispers (a touch too loudly) to the person she walked up beside, "You know, I thought there'd be a lot more drinking at a drinking game."

She counts to herself for what is likely to be the only response. 3 .... 2 ... 1 ....
That sound file you sent me sounds like the end-credit music of a movie that spent it's budget on the movie, not the music. Interesting, but in no way gripping. Definitely "background only."

inexorabletruth
2012-10-19, 01:27 PM
I picked something that wasn't so good. These aren't bards... just rogues who happen to have instruments.

Also... you may be more accurate than you think. The album is called "Erotic Visions." I got it as a wink-wink gift from a friend of mine for my wedding night. It's full of adult-film themed cornball jazz (heavy on the synth) that evokes more laughter than... other emotions. Still, I thought the crappy little tune was appropriate for the bandits at firelight, since I can't think of another time to play a song from an album called Erotic Visions than at night and by a fire. :smalltongue:

PSinger
2012-10-19, 07:05 PM
LOL! Fair enough. And corny DOES make sense for the players.

Next ...

inexorabletruth
2012-10-20, 04:37 AM
A few of the bandits let out a nervous chuckle. Then one of the guys hands you a tin cup. The drink inside has a faint nutty odor, and the color and consistency of an ale, though it's difficult to tell in the low light.

"Pulsch Brown... good stuff. It's light enough, for a monk's stomach." He quips, with a smirk. "And for a woman's." One of the girls slaps the boy on the shoulder and laughs a bit at the double edged taunt.

The other boys around the table join in the mirth a little bit and begin hoisting cups of their own. It's unclear whether they've excepted you or not, but they don't seem to want any trouble either.

PSinger
2012-10-20, 11:51 PM
The offer of the tin cup is given exactly when Necahual's mental count hits 0.

"Thank you," with some decorum and even a touch of femininity.

Then she hoists with the next round and drinks as much as it seems others are drinking. Even if that means chugging it ....

inexorabletruth
2012-10-21, 04:19 AM
As ales go, this is actually quite tasty. It goes down smooth and a little sweet.

The group dispels their nervousness at the sight of you drinking with them and the crowd joins you by finishing their beers. The music picks up a little bit, and some of the revelers begin to go back to their dancing.

"They call me Blades. We're short a player, if you've got a name... and a stomach for the hard stuff." He gestures back to a poor slob draped over a log, not looking so good.

The drunk boy looks up at the reference and lifts his hand with a thumbs up motion. "I'll be right ba-aaaaaaah" and continues to expel more of his stomach.

"Just keep telling yourself that Hand," Blades replies with a laugh, then looks back to you. "I never was sure if you win if you get drunk, or lose. But either way, the plan tonight, is to get drunk. So, how about it? You in?"

PSinger
2012-10-21, 02:26 PM
"Sure," she says. "I'm in."
Enough stories of drunken monks.

For Necahual, specifically, as she is a monk who focuses on the power to endure, this is throwing herself a new type of challenge.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-22, 02:10 PM
"The rules are simple," Blades explains, "The team who lost last gets to say go. Then, you drink a cup of Pulsch, then put the cup upside down over this walnut," he demonstrates by casually turning his own cup upside down and setting it carefully over the walnut on the drinking table. "Whoever puts their empty cup over the walnut first wins, and the losing team takes a shot of this."

He presents to you a bottle of something vile smelling. "It's called Thudrud, goblin liquor... good for cleaning wounds, lighting fires, and getting terrible hangovers." The rest of the group nods and laughs. They mumble half explained memories of getting wasted on Thudrud to each other.

"You're not allowed to grab the seed. If the seed falls off the table, you can't pick it up, until you've covered it with your cup. If you throw up before you finish your drink, you lose. If you spill or drop your Pulsch, you lose. I think that covers it. Have a seat, Nicawall (he's not sure how to pronounce your name). You're up." Someone from his team pours your cup, while someone from your team pours his. "Call it when you're ready."

Player Rules OOC:

Say "GO!" then roll INIT. Tie goes to the caller, which in this case, is you.
Roll a Concentration Check to chug your ale, (if you won the INIT by 2 or more, add +1 per 2 points over as a "head start" bonus to your check.
Roll a Fortitude Save (DC 12).
Make a DEX check (DC 15) to place the cup on the seed. You may make multiple rolls if you'd like, but you can't take 10. Whoever succeeds first wins.
If you failed your Fort Save, roll 1d2 temp WIS damage and 1d2 DEX damage after you've finished all other rolls. This effect won't have time to kick in until your next round. There are three people on each team including you.

Blades's Rolls:
Initiative: [roll0]
Concentration: [roll1]
Fortitude Save: [roll2]
DEX Check: [roll3]

DEX Check: [roll4]
DEX Check: [roll5]
DEX Check: [roll6]
DEX Check: [roll7]
DEX Check Reult: 15

WIS Dmg: [roll8]
DEX Dmg: [roll9]

OOC:
This is actually a "ye olde" twist on a drinking game I used to play with my friends. Nobody finishes this game sober. Nobody.

PSinger
2012-10-24, 02:37 AM
"GO!"

Initiative [roll0]
Concentration check [roll1]
Fortitude save [roll2]
* If failed, then [roll3] WIS and [roll4] DEX
DEX #1 [roll5]
DEX #2 [roll6]
DEX #3 [roll7]

EDIT: With a 21 Initiative and 24 Concentration, that equals 30 on the Concentration check.

PSinger
2012-10-24, 02:39 AM
More DEX checks ... :smallsigh:

DEX #1 [roll0]
DEX #2 [roll1]
DEX #3 [roll2]
DEX #4 [roll3]
DEX #5 [roll4]
DEX #6 [roll5]

inexorabletruth
2012-10-24, 01:22 PM
Matching the drinking skills of a dwarf, you pound the ale in a single gulp, before Blades is even halfway through his mug.

The tiny little walnut is harder than it looks to cover and wobbles about the table as you slam your cup down over and over again. As you slam the cup down for the fourth time and the walnut wobbles away, Blades finally finishes his ale and takes a measured strike, clipping the walnut which skitters and spins towards your waiting cup.

Blades looks up at you, shocked. Then he offers a grin of approval. "Well played," he chuckles as your team cheers their support of you.

One of your teammates sets a shot of Thudrud in front of Blades, who offers a playfully resigned sigh.

You can see that the rest of Blades's team also has a shot glass in their hands.

"To the weary travelers at Durgedonnvale. May their pockets always be heavy and their eyes and ears always be dull!" With that salute, he downs the vile smelling liquid, then gasps, sticking his tongue out to show that it's gone and shakes his head making a sour expression.

"YAAAAAAAY!" your team shouts in triumph.

Fort Saves: Thudrud DC 12
Blades: [roll0] Lvl 3 Warrior

WIS Dmg: [roll1]; DEX Dmg: [roll2]
Player 2: [roll3] Lvl 3 Rogue

WIS Dmg: [roll4]; DEX Dmg: [roll5]
Player 3: [roll6] Lvl 2 Ranger

WIS Dmg: [roll7]; DEX Dmg: [roll8]

(I'll have to post more after work, sorry.)

inexorabletruth
2012-10-25, 12:52 AM
Rolled results on my own dice to speed things up:

Next Up:

Blades's Team: Wisp (a slender girl, with exotic eyes and skin tone.
Your Team: Sliver (a gangly male youth with wild and frenetic hair.

The players set up at the table. This time, Blades's team calls it and gets the upper hand. Still, it's a close race to the finish line, but Sliver is just about to lower his cup when Wisp bumps the table with her knee. The walnut cascades over to Sliver's side of the table and Wisp springs into action, slamming the cup down defensively so Sliver can't get to the walnut. Then, with another tap of the underside of the table the walnut rolls toward Wisp who places the cup on the nut and issues a sly wink.

"Notink in de rulz sess I can' touch de table." Both teams playfully debate about it, but who cares... it's about getting wasted.

Your team takes a slug of the infamous Thudrud. It tastes just as vial as it smells... light a rotting cow that caught fire. And it goes down with a bitter burn that is difficult to stomach. Why anyone would chose to brew this is more of a mystery than why anyone would chose to drink it.

Next Up:

Blades's Team: Badger (a gruff looking boy who is nearly as big as blades, with short-cropped hair and an eye patch.

Your Team: Tiny (a large and solid looking man with an awkward grin)

Your team gets to call it. "GO!!" Tiny barks and wraps his mug up in a hairy paw, slinging it back like it was a shot glass. Badger was quicker and more agile but couldn't drink like Tiny could. Tiny was already on his 3rd attempt to hammer the cup down onto the walnut before Badger finished drinking. Tiny clips the walnut with his cup, causing it to skip of the table and bounce along the ground. The two fall onto the walnut as if it were a rare diamond, slapping at each other and clambering to get within reach of the little nut. Badger scrambles back to his feet and tries to kick at Tiny, who just grabs him by the leg and yanks, throwing him back to the ground. This time, Tiny makes a prone hop to get within reach of the walnut and finally slams the cup down onto the walnut. Both sides of the team roar in approval of the unexpected struggle. Shrugging with amusement, Blades's team takes their shot and groans their disgust.

Roll another Fort Save for the Thudrud (DC 12) with a -1 penalty to your Fort Save.

It's time for a rematch...

Round 2:
Blades pops his neck then straddles the chair heavily. He's had a lot to drink, but he still looks okay. It's easy to see why he's the team leader for his group.

"This time you're mine, monk." He says as the drinks are poured. "So, I hear the Boss decided to let you go." With that, he reaches for his drink.

Roll Sense Motive DC 22, to notice that he technically said, "go."

If you don't beat the DC, take a -1 Penalty to your Initiative roll.

Initiatve: [roll0]
Fortitude Save: [roll2]
DEX Check: Chance to get it on the 4th try.

OOC:
If you want to just do your DEX checks on your honor and post how many times it takes to break the DC, then go for it, so we don't clog the board with DEX checks. Breaking the DC to get the walnut doesn't mean you succeed on getting it, that just means how many times you slam that cup down before you would finally get it, providing Blades doesn't get it first, which is why I called it "Chance to get it"

PSinger
2012-10-25, 01:46 AM
I fixed Nec's sheet again last night, and it disrupted somewhere between the sheet save and the download. I'm starting to get a good feel for where things went, though.
Sense Motive [roll0]

Initiative [roll1], becomes an 8 because of failed Sense Motive, but still beats his.
Concentration [roll2]
Fort save [roll3]

DEX: Made it on 2nd (1st was nat '1', 2nd was nat '17').

End result. I am wrecking him, and he definitely is feeling this one.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-26, 02:50 PM
OOC:
I realize now that it's going to be necessary to keep track of some things. So I re-worded some stuff in post #106 and am going to keep a track record of who has had what. I made a spreadsheet to keep track of it all, in case you wish to see a copy of it. I can link to it for you.

Also, I rolled your Fort Save for the Thudrud. You blasted it with a 16.

Even with the ruse, Blades just can't move as fast as you. Struggling to keep up, he chugs his Pulsch and slams the cup down... right on top of yours.

"I'll be damned." He says with a slack-jawed gape of appreciation on his face. "I never knew monks good drink like that."

He wipes his chin and takes his shot.
Fortitude Save vs Thudrud (DC 12): 13
He chuckles a bit after slamming the shot glass down. "But it'll take more'n that to take down this bull."

Wisp, Badger and Blades also take their shots. Wisp seems fine for such a waifish girl, but Badger is starting to look wobbly.

Next Up:
Wisp and Silver take their seats. They seem in high spirits, but are still in control of their faculties.

Silver barely waits for Wisp to sit down before calling it, hoping to catch her off guard.

Wisp is startled only for a moment but they both reach their mugs at the same time. Just as it looks like Sliver is about to finish his drink first Wisp tries to kick the table again, but Sliver is wise to the trick, and kicks her hard in the shin first. Wisp lurches forward and her eyes bulge out in surprise and she has to stop drinking to keep from spilling the Pulsch. This of course, makes Sliver laugh, causing him to spray Pulsch everywhere.

Wisp stands up and points a finger after swallowing her ale. "Deesqualified!" She proclaims with a triumphant grin.

"Worth it!" Sliver retorts back with a profound belly laugh. Sportingly, your team takes a shot of Thudrud. Sliver's face is starting to flush a little.

Next Up:
Badger stumbles over to the chair and leans heavily against the table. Tiny sits down with a taunting grin. "Hard to walk when the ground keeps movin' eh?" Tiny teases with a chuckle. Badger laughs and offers him a crude gesture. The drinks are poured.

"HeeeeYYY! WHO's turn izzit t'say go?!" Badger asks. Tiny doesn't skip a beat and reaches for the mug. Blades and Wisp yell at Badger to start drinking, which is enough to make him realize what he's done. He lunges for the mug and, in his relaxed state, downs the ale in a single gulp. Badger finishes first, and slams the cup down hard, and laughs triumphantly, leaning hard into Tiny's face who promptly grabs him by the head and pushes him to the ground, where he continues to lie laughing.

Tiny and the gang take their shots. Tiny's starting to look a little out of it, and that last slug of Thudrud is starting to make Sliver look sloppy. Very soon, either you or Blade's is going to lose a team member.

Update:
Sliver is looking like he's almost out of the fight. He keeps rubbing his face and giggling stupidly. The Thudrud hit him pretty hard. Tiny is losing what dexterity he seemed to have and keeps bumping into things, but all in all, seems to be functional for another round.

On Blades's team, Blades is still pretty much in control, though he seems looser now, and more cocky. Wisp is holding together almost as well, but is also starting to get a little flirty and playful. Every now and then, while it's not her turn to drink she starts shimmying to the music playing by the fire. Badger on the other hand, is no longer bothering to stand or walk. His head is lolling a bit and most of what he says is indecipherable gibberish accompanied by spittle.

Round 3:
Blades wrings his fingers, and never once takes his eye off the glass. This time... he's got it for sure.

Fortitude Save: 14
WIS Dmg: 1
DEX Dmg: 2
DEX Check: Chance to get it on 3rd try

OOC:
Roll two Fortitude Saves for the Thudrud's you drank. The first roll has a -4 penalty to the save, the second roll has a -5 penalty to the save. DC is still 12. Apply the appropriate penalties to your stats (if applicable) before you begin your turn. Since the results of your saves effect your checks in the round, feel free to make them on your own dice. That's what I had to do for nearly all my rolls to keep it accurate.

PSinger
2012-10-27, 01:13 AM
Pre-Fort [roll0]
* Wis [roll1]
* Dex [roll2]

Initiative [roll3]
Concentration [roll]1d20+
* Screwed up roller. Honor roll is 20 total. Doesn't matter, Blade's initiative is blasted, anyway.
Fort 2 [roll4]
* Wis [roll5]
* Dex [roll6]

DEX was made on first roll with a total result of 17.

Necahual says, "We monks have trained to fight such vermin as goblins. Apparently, that includes internal goblin attacks as well.

"Drink up, buttercup."

inexorabletruth
2012-10-27, 04:50 PM
"I may not be able to make it home after this," he replies with a wink as a shot is placed in front of him. "Without a little... help, anyway." He grins suggestively then gives another one of his sly winks. Either you're making quite an impression, or Blades is starting to feel the effects of the Thudrud.

Fort Result vs. Thudrud: 10
WIS Dmg: 2; DEX Dmg: 1

Wisp takes her shot and yawps out a cheer! "Neekahal shood have been on my teem. It woood seem dat Blades haas finally met hees match!" She laughs as she slams the shot glass down on a barrel being used as a makeshift table.

Fort Result vs. Thudrud: 7
WIS Dmg: 2; DEX Dmg: 2

The music has changes to something a bit more festive and the dancing is much more lively.

Badger struggles to stand and barely makes it to his shot glass. Leaning hard against the crate holding his glass, he takes his shot like a sport, and hiccups a few times, sets his glass down, then collapses over the crate unconscious.

The group cheers their salute to another fallen soldier.

Fort Result vs. Thudrud: 10
WIS Dmg: 2; DEX Dmg 2

Sliver, feeling bulletproof, points a finger at Blades and laughs tauntingly. "YOU- haaaaa you thought you'd stack the deck by giving usssss a lightweight monk! But now you're down another MAN! HA!" Sliver stumbles a bit, then plops hard on the ground and rolls around laughing. "Too late for more recruits!" he taunts again.

Blades scowls back at Sliver, but there's no menace in the expression. He lets out a Belch and tries to man up. "I'll drink for Badger." He stumbles away from the table and Wisp and Sliver prepare to duel.

Sliver is a stumbling wreck. He can barely make it to the table. Wisp is far from sober, but can still move pretty well, and knows how to outsmart the boy. She fakes him out a few times, saying words that begin with a "g" which makes Sliver, who already has the giggles, laugh uproariously. Of course, while he's enjoying a nice belly laugh, Wisp casually says go, drinks her ale, and places her cup gently on the walnut.

Wisps Bluff Result: 19
Silver's Sense Motive: 7

Fort Result vs. Pulsch: 9
WIS Dmg: 1; DEX Dmg: 2

Sliver doesn't catch on to what happened until Wisp is pouring his shot. "Bottom's up." she says with a smile as she hands him the shot glass. Sliver smiles luridly at Wisp. "Don't geet any foonny ideas. And you steel have to feeneesh your Pulsch."

Sliver pouts but takes the shot.

Fort Save vs. Thudrud: 5
WIS Dmg: 2 INT Dmg: 2
Then downs his Pulsch.
Fort Save vs. Pulsch: 11

Sliver crawls away from the table, not even bothering to stand. "Uhhhhgh..." he groans as he rolls over on his back to watch the festivities, propping his head up on a rock.

Tiny's Fort Save: 14

Blades stumbles up to his seat and squares off with Tiny.

"Go!" Tiny says calmly, feeling confident that Blades is too wrecked to keep up. But Blades gets to his ale only slightly behind Tiny. The two seem to be a far more equal match to each other, but Blades finishes his drink a spilt second sooner. He struggles however, with lining up his cup to the walnut. The two engage in what almost appears to be a game of table hockey with the walnut, fighting to catch the elusive target.

Finally, Tiny bashes the table hard, slamming the cup down onto the nut. Blades groans and slaps his forehead, and Tiny chuckles triumphantly. "We're runnin' out of Thudrud, Blades. I'm tellin' boss it's cause of you."

Blades takes his drink and laughs in return. "I doubt he'll miss it."

Blades vs. Pulsch: 14
Blades vs. Thudrud: 7

Wisp vs. Thudrud: 5

Wisp is looking a lot further gone after the shot of Thudrud, but dutifully takes her seat opposite Necahual. "Dees one ees for de ladees, den." She says with a friendly smile. "Tell me, beauteeful... why deed you decide to be a monk? You seem to feet een so nicely here. I teenk you would have made an excellent teef."

Wisp sits there, swaying to the rhythm of the music, knowing that it's her job to call the shot, and she's got all the time in the world to do it in...

OOC:
If things are getting a little flirty, it's only because by my experiences, people tend to get louder, wilder, and more bi-curious the drunker they get. Don't worry. I don't plan on breaking out the BoEF. I run PG to PG-13 campaigns. Whatever happens to the characters will happen off camera.

PSinger
2012-10-27, 06:35 PM
Initiative [roll0]
Concentration [roll1]
Fort save vs Pulsch [roll2]
* DEX [roll3]
* WIS [roll4]

DEX checks: 12 and 18.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-28, 01:55 PM
OOC:
Do your rolls mean that Necahual doesn't wait for Wisp to say go?
Also what do "DEX checks: 12 and 18" mean?
Also, you're missing a Fort Roll, vs. Thudrud. (-8 to the Fort Save)
Your roll vs. the Pulsch is with a -9 to the Fort Save,

Using your most recent roll against the Thudrud, then that gives you a Fort Save result of 9, so you take 2 DEX and 1 WIS damage before you make your INIT roll and DEX checks.

This alters your INIT check to 8.

PSinger
2012-10-28, 05:05 PM
No, I wait for Wisp to say, "Go!", but I still roll Initiative to see if I can't get the cup up, can't I?

DEX checks means that my attempts to drop the cup on the walnut were 12 (which I think succeeded anyway) and 18.

Pulsch Fort save [roll0]

I'm sorry, but you've got to let me know what is accumulating what penalties when, it gets confusing.

That said, I'm having more of a blast RP-ing a drinking game than ever I would have actually playing a real one. :smallamused:
Current stats: DEX 10, WIS 13

inexorabletruth
2012-10-29, 01:04 PM
OOC:
Anecdote:
You think this is fun, try the game IRL. At first, it's pretty easy, but after a round or two, slamming the cup down on the hackeysack/marble/pingpong ball/d100/whatever else you've got handy becomes harder than it looks. By about round three, it basically derails into a game of keep away without touching the ball as two drunks wrestle on the floor while both teams cheer for their dog in the fight.

By the rules, once the ball is set down and steadied, no one is allowed to touch it. If you do, your team automatically loses. So one clever trick a friend of mine used when she knew she was going to lose is she grabbed a throw pillow and pillow-slapped the ball off the table, toward the enemy team. It hit one of their players on the leg, and the whole team had to take a shot of really cheap whiskey. We allowed it, because she technically didn't touch it, and there's no rules against the ball touching furniture. (My wife and I invented this game to get rid of some really cheap whiskey that a friend brought over. It worked. We plowed that whiskey and everyone had a great time.)

Okay, Accumulative Fort Penalty Rules:
Each time you take a drink, your Fort penalty goes up. By the time you drink your Pulsch, you will have had 8 drinks (enough to drop any but the stoutest dwarf, really) for a Fort penalty of -9. Every time you fail a save, you take 1d2 WIS and DEX damage.

Here's a screencap of your accumulative Fort Penalties so far. At this point, you and Tiny are the only ones not drunk right now, and Tiny's starting to look rosy-cheeked:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/Monk%20PbP/NecahualsFortPenalties.jpg

On with the game:
So, by your character's silence I'm assuming your character isn't going to give in to Wisp's banter and will stay focused on the win?

PSinger
2012-10-30, 10:39 AM
Necahual, whose entire monastic form is dedicated to stoicism, does not descend into banter. In fact, though feeling the effects of the brew, she is actually at no loss.

Fort save: [roll2]
* DEX loss: [roll3]
* WIS loss: [roll4]Actually, things aren't as bad as I thought. With a FORT save of +7, a -9 penalty is still only a -2 total modified FORT roll. Of course, it is a little more difficult, however.

EDIT: Well, there's a pretty good chance that she won the chug. Her concentration is peerless, though what she is concentrating on exactly is unknown.

She is still very aware, but starting to get sloppy as it takes her 4 tries to get the cup on the walnut (if she makes it that long).

inexorabletruth
2012-10-30, 07:24 PM
OOC:
The Concentration check made sense to me, who has been in plenty of drinking competitions. It may not seem it, but it's an act of discipline and self-control to pound a brew.

The trick is to tilt your head back slightly, open your throat up and let the (hopefully lukewarm) beer slide down your throat. Never swallow until it's all gone. This is hard, because the fizz of the beer can evoke that ever-present gag reflex. It doesn't help, that at most parties, everyone is chanting "Chug, chug, chug" which implies a rhythm you should be on. If you're buzzed enough it can encourage you to submit to that rhythm and swallow with the beat. I have a brutal gag reflex, and am only good at drinking competitions for the first few rounds. Once I get even a little buzzed, I lose my focus and start gagging, swallowing, or choking the rest of my beer if I get too distracted.

Wisp looks disappointed by your silence and clucks her tongue disapprovingly. "Have eet your way," she pouts. "Go."

She taps her mug on the table for luck and slams it back, but her flair for theatrics is not rewarded, as Necahual has the mug to her mouth before Wisp even lifts hers of the the table.
She holds nothing back pounding the drink, but Necahual has got the advantage by far.

Then... she tries her knee-to-the-table trick. She bumps the table a little harder than she meant to and almost falls over before finishing her ale. Still the walnut skitters across the table as Necahual reaches for it. It slows Necahual down but not nearly enough. Wisp gets to make one attempt at the walnut before falling on the ground, drunk as a sailor. She climbs back up to the table to find you victoriously smothering the walnut with your mug.

"I teenk... you cheated." She slurs with an amused grin as a shot is placed before her. "Oh boy..." she huffs as she takes her shot and slowly pours it down her open mouth.

Initiative: 10
Concentration: 19
Fort Save: 2
DEX Dmg: -1; WIS Dmg -1
DEX Check: 5th try.
Fort Save: -9
DEX Dmg: -2; WIS Dmg -2

She slumps to the ground... loose as a boiled noodle. No longer able to coordinate crawling to a stand, she resigns herself to humming to the music and giggling. Tiny dutifully drags her away from the table.

OOC:
More later, I have to get ready for work. Got called in on my day off. :smallfrown:

PSinger
2012-11-02, 04:51 AM
OOC
That's alright. It's been a busy two days. Waiting for that post-continuation with baited (or bated?) breath. :smallsmile:

inexorabletruth
2012-11-04, 05:14 AM
Blades runs a hand sloppily through his hair and blows air through his lips like a horse. Then waddles up to the table.

"Sliver, I ain't goinout without takin' one-a-you with me. Less do this."

Sliver nearly spills his drink just trying to sit down. When he finally uprights himself, he sits there for a moment, grinning stupidly then, spraying spittle out with the word, shouts "GO!"

Sliver isn't taking the game too seriously anymore. It's a miracle he can even sit upright. So, it's no surprise that he just sort of slumps over and fumbles with his mug for many attempts while Blades carefully chugs his ale.

Blades has to concentrate quite a bit to successfully cover the walnut but manages to accomplish the task before Sliver can finish his Pulsch. Sliver focuses in on Blades's triumphant grin and offers an uncoordinated shrug. "I'mmm... just. I'm jussssssss... hummahhh." He falls out of his chair. Blades pumps his arm in victory and cheers as if he'd just now won the competition... even though you and Tiny are still holding up pretty well and he's three sheets to the wind at this point.

Tiny comes up and looks at Blades, who is pretty wobbly. "A light breeze could knock you over, friend. You sure you don't want to call it a night?" Tim asks as Blades pours his own mug of Pulsch.

"Cann't wait t'get me home, eh?" Blades laughs with a wink. "You'll have t'get me drunker'n this first!"

The two of them sit, squaring off. Blades giggles slightly as his large friend stares at him, unblinking.

"Look! It's a damned dryad!" Blades shouts! Tiny looks back for a split second as Blades whispers "go" and grabs his mug. Tiny isn't far behind though and even though Blades finishes first, he's still too unstable to get the mug over the walnut. Tiny downs his ale in a single steady gulp, then slaps Blades's hand away and drops his mug onto the walnut.

"Nap time, Blades." he says with a smirk, as Tiny sets a glass down in front of Blades.

Blades wipes his sweaty brow and holds back a burp. Then he steadies himself and grabs the shot. After a slow drink, he gets up, salutes to Tiny, nods to Necahual, hiccups, and in a thick, wet voice drones out, "I'm donnnne fer th'night. You two kidzz have fun." He turns toward the cabins, takes about four steps, staggers sideways, and collapses like a house of cards.

At some point during Blades's exit you notice clapping and cheering, which rises to a crescendo when Blades collapses. Apparently, you and Tiny have drawn a crowd of onlookers who are now celebrating your triumphant victory!

900 XP.

PSinger
2012-11-04, 07:35 AM
Necahual tries to jump up in a cheer but slowly rolls up like dough stacking on itself. "Munksh of Flem Ab, Flem Ab, Flem Abbey! We gotsh fi-er-er inour belliesh!"

She unsteadily heads off to the little cabin where my "friend" (can't remember her name, it was >30 posts ago) .... the one who really doesn't like me ... and I knock on the door. If she doesn't answer, my addled brain figures I was let in once, that means I can sleep it off on the floor .... but not before, for courtesy's sake, I vomit out the mixtures of stuff a little off in the woods.

inexorabletruth
2012-11-04, 03:24 PM
"Come in," chimes Sabrina as you stumble through the door. She's a bit surprised to see you, but for the first time since you got here is actually smiling. She also seems quite relaxed, clad in soft fabrics more suitable to sleeping in than the hard leather she usually dons, and her mohawk is no longer waxed into a spiky fan, but just lays to one side of her face, apparently washed not long ago. She's sipping on a cup of nectar. A nearly empty bowl of soup is sitting in front of her.

"I see the boys talked you into a drinking game. Care for some soup? It'll help prevent the hangover you'll no doubt feel in the morning."

Sabrina has a pot of soup bubbling over a fire. It would normally smell great if you hadn't just vomited.

PSinger
2012-11-04, 06:17 PM
Necahual, having cleared her head a little with the vomit (Boot & Rally!), nods her head and says, "Thanks."

inexorabletruth
2012-11-04, 07:55 PM
You can see that Sabrina is a bit of a list-taker. She's got some notes jotted on a piece of paper and it appears to be an itinerary for tomorrow. She sets down her pen and gets up to pour you a cup of water.

You hear her fussing about stuff, but either she's mumbling or you've had too much to drink to sort it out. After she pours you a cup of water and fills a bowl with soup, she sits back down and stares at you expectantly.

You can roll a listen check if you care to pay attention to what she was griping about. If not, read on...

She sighs a little, and waves her hand dismissively. "It can wait until tomorrow. I'll wake you up an hour before dawn. In the meantime, your pallet's on the floor."

She gets up, wipes out her bowl and crawls into bed with a thick, leather bound book and her cup of nectar.

OOC:
Unless you feel like the night is still young and feel like painting the town red, we'll fast forward to tomorrow morning.

PSinger
2012-11-04, 08:37 PM
Fast forward ...

inexorabletruth
2012-11-05, 03:36 AM
The Thudrud has lived up to its reputation. Even with your incredible metabolism, there's no denying the dull throbbing in your head the next morning as Sabrina wakes you up with a cup of medicinal smelling liquid.

"Time to get up. Here, drink this. It'll make you feel better. You've got a half hour to get your things together, then we leave. It's my duty to see you to the edge of the forest alive, and I have a busy day ahead of me."

Some more of that soup is boiling over the fire, and a bit of bread is waiting on the table next to a kettle full of coffee, and a clay mug. Your old cloak is next to you as well as some practical peasant clothing. Some sackcloth breeches with low boots, a simple leather belt with a hook for a sheath, latched on with a scuffed brass buckle, a stained cotton shirt, wool jerkin, and canvas gloves. All in all, they look like a man's outfit, but it would keep you warm enough, and you'd be unlikely to get scratched by thistles and thorns along the journey.

You can see that Sabrina is dressed in a similarly practical manner, but is wearing her leather armor and hooded cloak. Her hood is down to reveal her spiky mohawk.

She continues to fuss about the room, getting her things together and tidying up her bed and dishes.

PSinger
2012-11-05, 03:52 AM
Necahual was drunk when she thanked Sabrina, but that's what happens when you lose your inhibitions.

The fact is, Necahual figures (actually it is more in her subconscious) that both women in their own way are very pragmatic, a "Thank you," being more an annoying and rather vestigial pleasantry between each other, though more necessary and respectful with others.

Each in their own way, but Necahual begins to feel a vague kinship ... as if Sabrina and she were not opposites, but more the flip side of the same coin.

Necahual nods understanding instead, eats efficiently, gathers her things, and they are out.

inexorabletruth
2012-11-06, 05:42 PM
OOC:
I'm waiting to see what the main campaign does. If they're willing to fast forward, then you two are about to meet up. So basically, whatever they do nest effects what you do next.

PSinger
2012-11-07, 03:11 PM
That's cool.

inexorabletruth
2012-11-11, 04:05 PM
After you are both ready to leave, Sabrina ushers you out of her cabin, then marches toward a small patrol that appears to be waiting for her. Sneak is also there, digging in his ear and examining what he finds, sometimes giving it an approving nod before wiping it on his pants leg.

"Are we ready to go?" Sabrina asks, barely waiting for the answer. "Uh..." one of the men interjects. "We've received word from the border patrols. May I speak to you for a moment?"

He pulls Sabrina aside, and out of earshot. Sabrina puts her hand on her hips as her expression turns progressively more sour. Then she walks back up to Necahual.

"Well. It seems the monastery has sent three of their kind to rescue you. The patrols are keeping an eye on them but are waiting my word to attack."

Sabrina examines your expression for a moment.

Sense Motive: 4
OOC:
I'm assuming that fails to read your emotions, so I'm carrying on.

"You understand what's at risk. The monastery is suspect at the moment, and they can't be allowed to find our camp. Killing them would be pointless, since the monastery would just send more minions our way until they get whatever it is they're coming for. So I'm going to give you a chance to guide them away from here."

She thinks for a moment. "You escaped, killed a few bandits on your way out, and managed to free Sneak-"

"Kevin." Sneak blurts. Sabrina looks at Sneak with a really pissed off expression at being interrupted. "I always liked the name Kevin, and I need a name that arouses less suspicion than 'Sneak' for a mission like this anyway." Sneak explains.

Sabrina turns back to Necahual sharply, causing her mohawk to sway a little. "-'Kevin' from a prison cell on your way out." She turns back to Sneak. "Got a last name yet?"

Sneak shrugs.

Sabrina cracks her knuckles. "I'm going to mark you. Nothing personal. No one's going to believe you escaped the bandit camp without a single scrape for your trouble. Are you ready?"

PSinger
2012-11-11, 06:59 PM
Necahual smirks, holding back a smile, and says, "Try not to enjoy this too much, huh?"

inexorabletruth
2012-11-11, 08:36 PM
Sabrina smirks, which says it all. WHAM! A quick jab to the mouth reveals that she knows how to fight. Your lip begins to swell and you can taste some blood.

She pulls a knife and cuts some of your garments to make it look like you've been struggling through the woods. then twirls it half a turn until the hilt is facing you. "Here you go. You'll want this. I recommend giving yourself a few scratches, but I don't think you'd trust me to cut you up. Either way, it only makes sense you would've had something to pop the lock with."

The knife is a woodsman's knife, with a broad, single-sided edge that curves to a wicked tip. The blade itself is wide enough to dig small holes with, and the hand-guard curves to a loop, so that you can feed your pointer finger through it, making it easy to spin. You can see that it's a well crafted piece.

"Tell the men to pull back, but make sure the monks don't make it past the second perimeter."

With that, one of the men take off.

"I'll get you close. After that, we disappear and you and... Kevin are on your own."

Sneak pipes in. "Don't I get a knife too?"

Sabrina smirks and walks up to Sneak. "Of course not, silly." He pinches him on the cheek. "You're weak and stupid." She leaves it unclear as to whether or not she's talking about Sneak or the character he's pretending to be.

"Let's go!" She barks to the group as Sneak slaps away Sabrina's pinching hand and mutters something obscene.

OOC:
You take 5 damage, non-lethal.

Sabrina leads your group to the last reported point of where the monks were located, but they stop when they hear Coanacoch's voice.

Sabrina turns to Necahual with a "Seriously?" expression on her face when Coanacoch announces his name and affiliation with the monastery. Then she begins speaking in sign language to a scout, who after receiving what appear to be orders, darts ahead.

Sabrina pulls close to you and whispers, "Are your friends trying to get themselves killed?"

Sneak crouches low and waits for orders.

inexorabletruth
2012-11-14, 10:12 PM
Sabrina continues to give orders in sign language, then turns to Necahual.

"You're friends. Would they run from a fight they cannot win, or stand and die?"

Her expression doesn't imply a threat, but rather an earnest query. You get the impression that she's cooking up an idea.

PSinger
2012-11-15, 04:44 AM
Necahual smiles as she looks to Sabrina. "Clever little brother. He figures we have them in our sights, and I'm sure we're not out here hunting my fellow monks for fun. There is one among our number who's an out-and-out hothead, and I think Coanococh (my brother there) is taking the initiative at not letting anyone get killed."

inexorabletruth
2012-11-16, 12:22 PM
Sabrina frowns at the cryptic answer but puts a thumb to her chin and contemplates. "Still, they can't go any further, and I can't know their allegiances well enough to trust them with our plan. Necahual, either we have to kill them, or we have to make them move on. If you just waltz into the middle of this, it's going to raise suspicions... both from your companions and our guards. Not everyone in the camp knows about this mission, or would approve if they knew. Hell... I'm not sure if I approve."

Sneak, who has been quiet so far, walks up to Necahual and Sabrina. "I have an idea. We can't waltz up, but we can stage an ambush. Necahual and I can 'attack'" he holds up finger quotes, "the border guards. Necahual can act totally surprised to see her friends, like we were just blasting through the woods trying to escape, and we can all retreat into the woods together. As long as we charge in fast enough and do a convincing job taking 'beating up'" more finger quotes, "Sallll...." he offers a sidelong glance to Necahual as Sabrina gives him a disapproving look, "the border guard guy who's name obviously isn't important, we should be able to stir up enough confusion that we can take control of the situation and get the monks away from the camp without anyone getting killed."

Sabrina's eyes bug out with incredulity. "Yeah, or our patrol will turn you into a porcupine before you even get close," she hisses.

"You got a runner." Sneak retorts. "Tell them I'm a spy and we need to meet with this team. It's mostly true. Tell them to miss."

Sabrina suddenly looks more like a concerned older sister now more than ever before. Even though the two obviously aren't related by blood, it seems evident that Sabrina truly loves Sneak like a brother.

Sneak, confusing the look for criticism only shrugs. "What, you got a better plan?"

OOC:
Here's your chance to toss in your two CP. If you have a better idea, Sabrina is dying to hear it. Otherwise, about this time tomorrow, unless Coanacoch's team does something crazy (which we all know could technically happen) this is the plan we're going with.

PSinger
2012-11-17, 01:43 AM
Necahual is a reactionary stoic, not a proactive planner, so this is the best plan.

inexorabletruth
2012-11-17, 11:56 AM
She gives the order, then runner runs off with the new message. A few moments later, you can hear a bird call.

Sabrina nods. "That's our signal. Count to ten, then charge into the woods. It's best if you act like you're running for your life. If you're presence doesn't encourage them to leave the camp, then we'll come crashing in soon after as if we were chasing you all along."

OOC:
It's time to rejoin the main campaign.