PDA

View Full Version : Halloween DnD

Hyde
2012-08-17, 01:16 PM
Well, Halloween is... well, not really fast approaching, but it's on it's way.

Every year I run a special edition DnD session, in which the monsters dress up like random crap and all the encounters are contrived and hard to believe.

Up until now, we've faced (in no particular order):
The Thriller Zombie and his backup dancers
Rita Repulsa
The Power Rangers
Ash Ketchum
The metal thriller zombie
Vegeta and Nappa
Yugi Moto
...and maybe some others I can't remember. I've been doing this awhile.

Well, I wanted to hear the playground's ideas for pop culture/nostalgic encounters. the more they disrupt how the game is supposed to work, the better.

I might do the avengers.

Dairuga
2012-08-17, 06:10 PM
So, this is not as much as a "Halloween encounter" with pop culture references (or perhaps it is, given the infamy of the area that was brought into play), as it is a halloween... setting, turned into a massacre.

So, the party enters into a town square. The full moon is up, veiled in by dark clouds, lined by a bright silver lining. Torches are bountiful, casting a pale, eerie glow over the square; the middle fountain coloured red with blood for an eerie effect, along with small trails leaving it, smattering into footsteps, as if something was walking up and out from it. All around, houses are lined up, forming a square around the town square, every house covered in cobweb, festive decorations; hanged men and skeletons; mummies and jack-o-lanters littering every opening, every entrance. But.... There are no people. No laughter, no screams; no cheerful cajoling of drunken dwarfs making their way up and down the streets. No nothing. No signs of life.

And in the town hall, smeared upon the big wooden wall facing the town square; is the words. "HOUSE OF HORROR!™"

Yeeeah. Seems safe enough? Right.
So, the party enters into the HOUSE OF HORROR!™, growing wary, looking around for any movement around them, as if monsters were going to ambush them. Everything is dead, empty, silent.

And suddenly! Behind them, the last rays of moonlight vanishes, as the door closes shut behind them... And once the party turned around. Bricks. The door having turned into bricks, whatever door having brought them in now being long gone.

And so, the party ventured onwards. Whatever was ahead, it couldn't be worse than what they had already encountered.

And so, this brave party unknowingly set their feet into, and took their first steps into the Tomb of Horror, which the Teleport-Triggered Doorway had carried them off to.

It did not end well. Not well at all.

Zale
2012-08-17, 07:14 PM
If you have a Cleric in the party, you could always introduce them to one Mrs. Cake.

Metahuman1
2012-08-17, 07:19 PM
And evil Winged Template Unicorn with some caster levels and Epic Lifespan as a feat is presently trying to bring the world to eternal night!

What?

limejuicepowder
2012-08-17, 07:29 PM
The thriller zombie and his back up dancers reminded me, so I think you should run a plants vs zombies type encounter. That is, the monsters all approach from one direction, move in a straight line, and don't use any tactics at all. The players are tasked with defending a (insert vulnerable plot device here) from the hordes of whatever.

Ah hah! Defend Lugstin Feebler, the pop culture icon and pretty boy, from his lunatic fan base that has been whipped in to a frenzy by the evil wizard Sourpuss Von Bitter Tears, who wants to repay a childhood slight. He has enchanted Feebler's fans with incredible strength and toughness, making engaging them using traditional means foolhardy. The hero's have no choice but to use the stockpile of enchanted and alchemical items they find in the basement of a certified tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist.

wasabi tear gas, boxes of d4's to caltrop enemies, splinter-under-your-finger-nail frag grenades, use it all. I don't have time to stat it all out, but I think it would be pretty fun.

Hyde
2012-08-17, 11:35 PM
And evil Winged Template Unicorn with some caster levels and Epic Lifespan as a feat is presently trying to bring the world to eternal night!

What?

omg +5 to YESSSSS.