PDA

View Full Version : How would you build this NPC Sorcerer?

laeZ1
2012-08-17, 05:12 PM
I'm making an NPC in my game, and I'd like some input from the playground on how to best round him out (ie, not get beat to a pulp by my party should the party decide to do that). The NPC is a sorcerer, but we'll talk about him later.

Currently, I have six players, all at level fifteen. Here they are, in order of how many times they have foiled my plans:

Sorceror/Druid/Theurge: It's his first time playing D&D (the campaign's lasted over a year now, and he's the only one whose character is still one of the originals). The player is very intelligent, has an eye for plot devices, and his character is well rounded, with spells that target different saves, but his favorites being rays and utilities. A good chunk of his feats have to do with true name magic out of a number of different books.

Paladin: He's been playing D&D the longest out of my players, and his paladin (while not as tough as his last character) has a bunch of HP, is pretty tough to hit, and can wreck an evil NPC better than your average equivalent level rogue's sneak attack, and he's a decent healer.

Beguiler: Also a vet player, I'm not too worried about him, since he messes up my plots as often as he screws with the party. He recently picked up the leadership feat and his cohort is the healer class out of... masters of the wild, I think. The cohort, unlike his actual character, is min/maxed to a point of vomit-inducing proportions.

Bard/Barbarian: She's brand new to D&D, and with a lot of guidance and encouragement, her character showcases the two different classes very well.

Ranger/Swiftblade: Played D&D for a long time, his character focuses on giving the party haste, then fires his heavily enchanted bow at whatever they fight.

Rogue/Wizard/Daggerspellmage: He's been playing D&D for a while, and even though his build works pretty well, he's the one that usually falls into all my plot traps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technically, I have two more players. One currently works too much to come to game, and he's playing an elf drow. Big powergamer, bad listener. He killed an evil wizard the party convinced to help them. The other moved to a nearby town, but doesn't own a car. He and I play online from time to time. He plays a wizard/master of the unseen hand/paladin.

Now, the NPC in question: Like I said, he's a sorcerer, and he's got a powerful Duskblade/blackguard working alongside him. He commands the guards in this town, but due to the economy, the problems of the town, and the fact that the country isn't known for having good town guards, the guards are nowhere near his ability.

I would also like to point out that my rolling is generally <6.

With all that in mind, knowing that he (human) must also have the leadership feat. I'm thinking some good counterspelling, I'm pretty sure there are a couple feats for that, and a spell he can keep up (permanency, maybe? or some magical equipment? So long as I'm thinking of it, how much SR is too much SR?). Is there a good version of charm person? Are there ways of making it better other than spell focus? Would you all recommend the PHB2 sorcerer option so he can use metamagic?

Now for his cohort, the duskblade/Blackguard. I've seen enough duskblades to know how to run one, but the big thing I'm worried about is smite evil and protection from evil. I'd rather not DMblock an ability. I'd much rather point in a book (after game, of course) and say "she was using this spell" or "she had this feat".

If everything goes according to plan, the party won't fight these two. Things rarely go according to plan.

Tl;dr: Help me build a level 22 Human Sorcerer with the leadership feat (but not based around it), and his level 20 Human Duskblade/Blackguard.

Runestar
2012-08-17, 06:59 PM
At this lv, your sorc is better off with the rapid metamagic feat (complete mage) instead; it basically does the same thing (apply metamagic feats without increasing the casting time), but without limits.

Also, consider taking 2 lvs of non-spellcaster classes; practiced spellcaster effectively negates this drawback. Counterspelling generally isn't worth it until lv27, when a spellcaster qualifies for the epic counterspell (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20020915a) feat.

If you are not too concerned about missing out epic spellcasting at lv21, you can have your sorc take epic leadership as a throwaway epic feat. With a cha score of 30 (base15, +5stat, +6enhancement, +4 inherent via wish), his leadership score of 32 allows him to attract a lv21 cohort just nicely, thereby justifying his bodyguard. Alternatively, go with sorc21 and attract a lv20 cohort. I dunno, lv22 spellcaster just seems to stick out like a sore thumb. Technically, as an npc, he shouldn't need to adhere to such rules, but if you are very particular about this, note that it can be done within the confine of the rules.

For the bodyguard, while duskblade is probably easier to build, by this time, wouldn't you rather consider a real gish instead? Even a basic fighter1/sorc6/spellsword1/eldritch knight7/abjurant champion5 build grants you sorc18 spellcasting (9th lv spell!) and bab+17. There's smiting spell (PHB2), arcane strike (CW) and enough slots to spam.

I will post more about the sorc later; multiclassing spellcasting builds aren't my strongest trait. :smallredface:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-17, 07:48 PM
Is the party ever intended to fight either of these two, or can they be strong enough that either of them could easily solo the entire party after sustaining an entire round of the best the PCs can throw at him? What books are you using, and what's your policy on setting-specific material (but classes and feats from such books that are not necessarily tied to that setting)?

You could use a variant Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinVariantsFreedom SlaughterAndTyranny) of either Tyranny (LE) or Slaughter (CE) instead of Blackguard. If you want him to be challenging but within the party's capability to defeat, I'd make him something like Paladin 2/ Duskblade 2/ Fighter 2/ Suel Arcanamach 4/ Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) 10, with one of his signature items being an Eternal Wand (MIC) of Hound of Doom (CW).

If you want him to be uberpowerful, go Paladin 2/ Sorcerer 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Spelldancer 1/ Eldritch Knight 7, use Harmonious Knight (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) to get Perform and trade Ride for Tumble (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a), with Persistent Spell which he Spelldances onto all of his buffs. He can have a Wand of Lesser Restoration and one or more Rod of Bodily Restoration (MIC) to ensure that he's able to Spelldance as much as he needs to on any given day. Be sure to include Practiced Spellcaster and a Ring of Enduring Arcana (CM), and Invisible Spell (Cityscape) and Fell Drain Spell (LM) are awesome. Between Combat Reflexes and Persistent Fell Drain Thunderlance (SpC) with Greater Magic Weapon +5 on it, Persistent Wraithstrike (SpC), Persistent Bladeweave (SpC), and two-handed Power Attack, he should be extremely dangerous. Add on Persistent Shield, an (invisible) evil version of (Greater) Luminous Armor (BoED, abjuration that grants an armor bonus), Persistent Ray Deflection (SpC), Persistent Fell Drain Invisible Fire Sheild, Persistent Displacement, Greater Mirror Image (PH2), Superior Invisibility (SpC), Persistent Extraordinary-Spell-Aimed (CV) Antimagic Field, Persistent Swift Fly (SpC), and items from this list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851), they shouldn't pose much of a threat to him at all. You could even throw on Persistent Draconic Polymorph (Draconomicon): War Troll (MM3) plus Persistent Alter Self into himself to keep the physical stats and Dazing Blow.

The Sorcerer can be a Human Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#humanParagon) 1/ Sorcerer 2/ Human Paragon 2/ Mindbender (CA) 1/ Incantatrix (PGtF) 10/ Divine Oracle (CD) 4/ Dragon Disciple 1/ Epic Incantatrix (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20020915a) 11. Give him an item that grants a +30 Competence bonus to Spellcraft, he can use Metamagic Effect and Cooperative Metamagic* to add Persistent Spells to his own buffs by making a Spellcraft check (and taking ten) with no metamagic increase. *Cooperative Metamagic can be used on your own spells as long as you're not in combat because the action economy system only exists during initiative. Add on a few dozen Persistent Invisible Fell Drain Cloud of Knives (PH2) spells and every round he can shoot a few dozen level-draining daggers absolutely free. Give him Epic Spellcasting at level 21 and pull out some instantaneous duration Reflect seed spells so anything that anyone ever tries to do to him will be automatically reflected right back onto them.