PDA

View Full Version : Stealing items

soulchicken
2012-08-17, 09:33 PM
I'm playing a hide in plain sight rogue, and our group is facing some archers. Saying I get close enough without being seen, what would my roll be to steal their arrows? Would it be the same as stealing a sheathed weapon (50)? Or would it be the same as lifting a small object (20)?

Thank you in advance.

Mnemnosyne
2012-08-17, 09:58 PM
I would say you could steal each arrow, one at a time, with the same DC as lifting a small object. You would have to make the more difficult roll in order to steal the entire quiver of arrows at once.

Invader
2012-08-17, 10:05 PM
Keep in mind that hide in plain sight is not invisibility. Hide in plain sight gives you the ability to use the hide skill even if someone is looking at you. The NPC's are still going to get a spot check to find you and your penalty for hiding 1 foot away is going to be hard to overcome.

soulchicken
2012-08-17, 10:21 PM
That sounds about right, and I know about the hiding. Most of the guys are lower level than I, and I've taken steps to still have a good modifier after the -20 to spot comes in.

Would you think grabbing all of the arrows would be around a dc 30?

Invader
2012-08-17, 10:29 PM
That sounds about right, and I know about the hiding. Most of the guys are lower level than I, and I've taken steps to still have a good modifier after the -20 to spot comes in.

Would you think grabbing all of the arrows would be around a dc 30?

DC for a small object is 20 which I would say an arrow is, then its going to be in a sheath which would make it easier to grab because the person wouldn't feel it as much as say something in their pocket being stolen, and then the sheath is most likely going to be on the back or at least by their side which would also make it easier because it's out of sight.

I would think a base of 20 and then adding 1 for each additional arrow you try to grab, i.e. npc has 8 arrows, DC 28 to grab them all at once.

Slipperychicken
2012-08-18, 12:39 AM
I don't think arrows are counted as weapons; ammunition is a different thing.

Remember that you can eat a -20 to steal things as a free action. Even if the guy notices you, you still get the item if you beat the listed DC. You can try additional times, although the DC increases by 10 after you've been caught once. This effectively gives you a DC40 to steal every small item on someone's person as free actions in combat (increases to 50 after he caught you once), which can be devastating. Spell components, component pouches, arrows, shurikens, holy symbols, money, expensive diamond dust, letters, hairpins, and wallets are just a few of the many things Sleight of Hand can get you. If you're worried about it making sense, remember that the Wizard can wave his hands around and summon magical heavenly badgers to do his bidding from level one. Without rolling a die.