PDA

View Full Version : Who Watches the Watchers? [IC]

Kyeudo
2012-08-17, 10:39 PM
It is the begining of third shift when Om summons you to a secure briefing room in her central spire. The chamber is spare of furnishings, no more than a long conference table and enough chairs to fit the full civic council, but the view more than makes up for the lack of luxury. The window running the entire length of the room looks out over the vivid, blue glass spires of the Adamant city. Shining threads string their way around and between them - the intracity tramway lines thrumming with cars carrying citizens up and down the towers. Beyond the city, the lights of the metropolis glitter on the thousand facets of the crystal cavern in which the city rests.

When you are all assembled, Om's voice speaks from overhead."I have called you all here for a matter of grave importance. An Apostate has been detected nearby." A crystal stud in the cieling projects a holographic image above the table. The image is a little fuzzy and distorted, but it is easy to see that the image is the view from the eyes of some creature, most likely a biomechanoid, as it clambers through a maze of ductwork.

"This data feed was recovered from the memory banks of a destroyed dwarry by a custodian repair team earlier today and forwarded to me once it became apparent the cause of its destruction."

The hologram shows the dwarry exiting the ductwork and scuttling across the cieling of a chamber, as the view is suddenly upside down. The chamber isn't large, but several large pipes run the length of it. One of them has an access cover open, out of which several fix beetles crawl. The view zooms in on the beetles, revealing a patina of rust across their shells and jagged bone inclusions in their joints and pincers - gremlins. Upon seeing the gremlins, the dwarry reverses course, presumably heading back to the safety of the duct from which it came, when a sound causes it to swivel. A brief image is all that is seen before a burts of green light fills the view, followed by only static. The view then rewinds and freezes, showing the dwarry's last image: An Alchemical, an iron skeleton encrusted with acid-green crystal growths and black tendrils, levels an Essence Pulse Cannon directly at the view, viridian lightning already collecting within the barrel.

"Synchronization of known chronological markers with the full data feed puts the dwarry's destruction at a little more than three hundred thirty seven hours ago. The Apostate depicted is known to call himself Beacon of Destruction, formerly the Jade Caste called Limitless Effort"

horngeek
2012-08-18, 08:42 AM
Radiant Intellect Engineer winces as she hears how long it's been since the recording. "Thirteen and a half days. Do we have any idea where the recording takes place? It should give us some clues as to where the Apostate's gone. Enough to pick up the trail, at least."

She looks at the screen intently, almost as if she's trying to figure out Beacon's personality from the image. "Hopefully, we'll be able to stop him before he lives up to his name."

Edge
2012-08-18, 01:08 PM
Relentless Judiciary Implement watches the dwarry's recording intently, resting his chin between his forefinger and thumb whilst his mind turns the information over.

"Engineer has the right idea. We must track this heretic down quickly, but it would not do to track him down unprepared. Milady Om, what data can you provide us on Limitless Effort and Beacon of Destruction? Do we know their modus operandi? Anything about how they became compromised? The more we know about them, the more we can predict and prepare for."

KnightDisciple
2012-08-18, 02:36 PM
Elegant Ascending Shield was, at first glance, barely paying attention. He was slouched in his seat, which he had leaned back enough to rest his crossed feet up on the table. With his hands behind his head, his Light Enhancing Visor haphazardly propped over his eyes, and the general aura of relaxation, one might be forgiven for thinking he was asleep.

Until he grinned at the news they were hunting an Apostate. For a moment, it was an almost feral expression, one of anticipation and excitement. It quickly changed to a more friendly smile as he spoke up.

"More importantly, how does he fight? He just use that Cannon, or does he like to have fun?
Though, shiny lady's got a point. This trail might be gettin' cold after that long of a time. Have there been any other weird happenings that might be the result of Mr. Tall, Dark, and Tendril-y? That way Officer Broody here can figure out how he thinks and what his favorite flavor of food is, and we can nail him! By which I mean stab him. Repeatedly."

Kyeudo
2012-08-19, 04:58 AM
"I have an autolabe prepared with the coordinates where the dwarry's remains were recovered as well as transport and support crew in case of an extended investigation."

"As for his modus operandi, it is difficult to speculate. Limitless Effort was young for a Champion when his heresy was discovered and it has been years since he was last seen. The records that I have availible note that he was Exalted by Claslat, that he headed several civil engineering projects, and his disappearance happened in the middle of an upgrade to a city water supply. Claslat's records almost certainly hold more information."

"I do not know of any other strange happenings that could be attributed to gremlin activity in general or to Beacon of Destruction in general. If I knew such, you would have been notified earlier."

aetherialDawn
2012-08-20, 03:42 AM
Unfolding Flower of Hope simply listens, at first, idly going over the short scene from the Dwarry's memory banks in his mind, moving through thoughts and potentials...

Once details start to slip out, though, he pays much closer attention again, and quickly unfolds a notepad from the storage-engine that has practically become his signature Charm. Claslat, engineering, and discovered heresy all feature in the quick notes.

"He disappeared, yet his heresy was discovered nonetheless - and he has evidently changed his name and made this known. Do you mean that he has been seen since? Or perhaps some of his notes were recovered? Speculation is superior to nothing, and if there are even a few more data points it could refine plans for dealing with this."

Hope continues to scribble down several columns of Old Realm, mind already negotiating around potential defeats to reject...

Kyeudo
2012-08-24, 01:33 AM
"Working from the few records that I have access to, the evidence points to a simple goverment coverup. The Claslati most likely wished to avoid having it known that an Apostate had designed key infrastructural elements. I have no record as to how his heresy was discovered nor how he escaped execution, but his continued existance and his registry in a database of known Apostates points to both having occured."

Kyeudo
2012-08-28, 10:24 PM
"If there are no further questions or concerns, I suggest you make whatever preparations you feel appropriate."

KnightDisciple
2012-08-30, 10:50 PM
Elegant Ascending Shield smiled and sat up straight in his chair, clapping his hands once. A quick flick of his head (clearly a practiced move) propped his Visor further up his head. He looked his fellow Exalts in the eye one by one, a huge grin on his face.

"Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I should be ready really quick. We all want to meet up here when we're done? Or did you want us to meet up somewhere else, Boss Lady?"

While the words might seem irreverant, there was clearly friendly affection in Shield's speech. He stood and gave an exaggerated bow to the others present.

"I shall see all of you wonderful shining people very soon!"

Unless stopped by someone, he'll begin strolling out of the room, hands in his coat pockets, whistling as he traveled.

aetherialDawn
2012-09-01, 12:05 PM
Hope nods, smiling, as Shield departs.
"Meeting here seems acceptable. We will all need some preparation time for this."

He turns to the nearest microphone, speaking to Om more directly.
"I shall need to have my Data Cluster assigned for gremlin-tracking, it seems. Once that's done, I would like to see the transport and support you've mentioned, and make sure we are all in order."

Kyeudo
2012-09-01, 12:30 PM
"The aerial skiff is on standby in docking bay twelve."

Edge
2012-09-01, 01:24 PM
Judiciary nods as Shield leaves.

"Milady Om, would it possible for you to contact Claslat and see if they have any further information they are willing to disseminate whilst we prepare?"

He strokes his chin briefly as he thinks.

"Of course, I shall leave the 1st Om Regulators under your command whilst I am absent form the city, milady, to assist in maintaining order. However, I am having difficulty deciding whether it is worth delaying our pursuit by a day whilst I have myself refitted with my combat panoply."

Kyeudo
2012-09-01, 02:26 PM
"While parallel refits would best be performed here, the aerial skiff will be carrying a field refit station in order to account for unforseen occurances."

"As for contacting Claslat, I have no direct lines of communication with Claslat. All information I have access to is either through publicly availible noetic archival information or has been recovered by Operatives in the past."

Kyeudo
2012-09-04, 03:08 PM
Later, after you have all finished adjusting the Charms in your panoply, gathering your gear, and requisitioning any additional supplies you feel needed, you meet back up and are directed to docking bay twelve. The hanger is large enough to land and service eight aerial skiffs at once, though it only currently contains two - the Mother of Invention and Fortune's Favor.

One of the pilots, a young glasswalker, comes to meet you. "I'm Lieutentant Lukas Myr. I'll be in charge of the flight crew and support personel. The technicians just finished with a final inspection and we are ready to leave. Orders?"

Realized I should have done this earlier.

KnightDisciple
2012-09-08, 05:06 PM
Elegant Ascending Shield looked at the other assembled Exalted, one eyebrow raised as he smirked. He spoke up, amusement creeping into his voice.

"That brings up the question of which one of us ought to be in charge while we're out and about. Doesn't seem like a good idea to just have us all do our own thing. Before anyone else jumps in, I call "Not It"."

He settled back to see what some of the others would say.

'Spiky McScaryPants will probably pipe up about being in charge. Hard to say with anyone else here, though.'

aetherialDawn
2012-09-10, 09:57 AM
"If none have a pressing reason, I believe we should support Engineer as our lead."

Hope does quietly ask the young glasswalker a question - since he is most convenient. "Unless there is a gremlin hunter amongst the support team, of course? Otherwise... Engineer?" He doesn't hold much expectation for that, though.

Edge
2012-09-10, 10:14 AM
Once his visit to the vats is complete, Judiciary quickly hammers out a message with instructions for the 1st Om Regulators in his absence.

To the honourable men and women of the 1st Om Regulators:

Duty to the Great Maker calls me away from our work here in our glorious city. As such, the standard Executive Officer Standing Orders apply.

Sergeant Dreyesh of Lightning Phalanx serves as CO in my absence, answering to Om Herself. Should the Serving CO be incapacitated during my absence, the standard SCO delegation process applies.
As a reminder, the order of SCO delegation is Sergeant Mireliki of Oil Phalanx, Sergeant Havej of Iron Phalanx, Sergeant Jaris of Steam Phalanx and Sergeant Zahil of Diamond Phalanx.
Unless directed to by Om Herself, all Phalanges are to avoid direct confrontation with confirmed Void cells, performing reconnaissance, investigative and peacekeeping duties with greater diligence.

I have nothing more to add, save to continue your duties with the efficiency and dedication I have come to expect of each and every one of you.

Relentless Judiciary Implement

Once the Champions of Om have gathered at the docking bay, Judiciary listens intently to the first of his compatriots to speak.

"Careful, Elegant Ascending Shield," intoned Judiciary with uncharacteristic humour, "Or you may give me the impression that you are intent on shirking your duty."

The Soulsteel then proceeds to take a few steps towards one of the aerial skiffs, quickly wheeling around to face the other Exalts and standing at ease.

"Shield does raise a good point. Organisation may well be key to defeating our designated target. And whilst I can understand the reasoning behind Hope's suggestion of Engineer, I would remind the assembly of my experience commanding Void-hunts within Om Herself."

Kyeudo
2012-09-12, 01:24 PM
"If I may?" Lukas politely interrupts. "All I need is a flight destination for now. You can sort out the chain of command on the way."

aetherialDawn
2012-09-18, 11:42 PM
Hope nods to the pilot. It is his job both to plan as much as possible beforehand, and admit when it isn't time to plan. "This autolabe will lead to the co-ordinates of the last sighting. Be cautious of signs of sabotage. If we are lucky, then the only command needed will be fire co-ordination."

Kyeudo
2012-09-20, 02:57 PM
Lukas takes the autolabe in his hand, the metal clicking against his crystal nails. He checks the current heading, nods, and shouts to the crews "Alright people! Let's get loaded up and on our way!" The flight crews climb aboard the two skiffs while the vehicle technicians clear the hanger. Once everyone is onboard, Lukas engages the lift systems and the Mother of Invention sails smoothly out into the crystaline caverns of the Pole of Crystal, the Fortune's Favor following behind.

Once clear of the city, the darkness of the Reaches closes in around both vessals. Except for the hull lights and the occasional patch of luminescent crystal, the tunnels are lightless and dark. The formations revealed by the hull lights are breathtaking - clusters of stalgmites, stactites, and collums in myriad colors glittering in the reflected light. After hours of travel, the gemstone tunnels of the Pole of Crystal merge into the corridors of the Pole of Metal.

Liutenent Myr is clearly a skilled pilot, able to navigate tunnels with only a minimum of clearance and cut sharp corners at incredible speeds. Still, after many more hours of weaving back and forth through passageway the ease with which he navigates becomes commonplace. Eventually, Lukas sets down in a small chamber. "This is as close as I think I can get us. The autolabe indicates the destination is about a hundred yards down that passage." He points out the viewport to a corridor just wide enough for two men to walk side by side.

Lukas' estimation proves correct. The corridor does lead to the chamber you saw in the dwarry's memories. The few differences stand out, like the scorch mark on the cieling, the pieces of wreckage not quite cleaned from the floor by maintence biomechanoids, and the sealed access cover that the gremlins were seen exiting.

KnightDisciple
2012-09-23, 06:19 PM
Shield had stayed quietly to one side during their trip, letting the others mostly talking over what subjects had come up. When they stopped at their destination, he gave Lukas and the other crew a smile and nod.

"My thanks, good sir! Now, I believe the rest of us have a bit of a discussion to finish.."

He made a herding gesture to try and get the Exalts to the rear of the ship, giving them a modicum of privacy. His almost-ever-present smile faded into a serious look for several moments as he regarded the rest.

"I believe Relentless Judiciary Implement should be field leader. He's not only got experience on hunts like this, he's already got experience leading combat teams in the field. I'm good at looking good and fighting better. But he's good at fighting and leading. My vote is for him to take point on this."

aetherialDawn
2012-10-01, 11:58 PM
Hope watches, silently. He's started the conversation; now to see if anyone else has opinions.

Of course... The most important to hear from are the two nominated potential-leaders, and they are still silent, though everyone ought to have a word.