PDA

View Full Version : TTRPG idea jam! - A thread for sharing ideas!

Silus
2012-08-18, 01:23 AM
So, figure we could do with a thread like this. Just a place to share any and all ideas regarding tabletop RPGs. Campaign ideas, encounter ideas, character shenanigans, ect. ect.. Get feedback, leech off other people's ideas, all that jazz.

So here's an idea I had for a thing for a fantasy based game (D&D mostly):

This idea came from reading the plot summery of "The Rainbow Factory".

One of the PCs (a caster) is forced to take a magical aptitude test by the head guild/organization that regulates magical whatnot. If they pass, then great, but in the likely chance that they do fail, they are taken away. The other players follow 'cause hey, it's their buddy. They are taken to an underground facility where raw magic is distilled for the world to use. Thing is, said magic is gained from taking failed wizards (or any arcane casters that fail the aptitude test) and ripping the magic out of them leaving them a withered husk. It's then up to the party to break in, rescue their party member before it's too late, and escape. Destroying the facility is optional, but would likely cause a massive magical backlash.

LrdoftheRngs
2012-08-18, 02:08 PM
Alright, I know my players browse these forums sometimes, so don't read this spoiler if you're going to be playing in my next campaign.
The campaign is in a low-magic, high-power fantasy world. Humans have no aptitude for magic and have attempted (and succeeded mostly)to drive any magical beast or spellcaster race to extinction. The players are nine ambitious warriors who are being trained for the kingdom's army and have been organized by a mysterious figure. He reveals to them that he has tracked down the locations of the only remaining dragon eggs, and plans to hatch them and use the Dragons to take over the world. The only hitch in his plan is that they are all guarded by tons of monsters (the magical signature of the eggs draws other magical beasts, and some of the few sentient monsters are guarding the eggs until they can hatch). So, the players go and get the eggs, hatch them, take over the continent, reintroduce magic to the world, and everyone is happy, right? Well, the other 3 large nations aren't too happy about this break in their carefully arranged peace, so the next campaign has the players being generals for one of these other nations, fighting against their former characters.

Doorhandle
2012-08-20, 07:19 AM
In general, I have always been interested in the idea of a Side-scrolling TTRPG, rather than the traditional top-down version: think something like castlevania.

A system that has (streamlined) laws of physics outside the rules abstraction: Objects and creatures having a certain density value, for instance, damage being based on speed x mass for some things, and various example I can't remember.

I think a size bonus determined by the number of individual squares a creature takes up would be cool: removes the arbitrary linearity of size-categories.

Also, I would like to try an option where powerful magic items are rare, but things like wands, scrolls and potions can be made very quickly, and very cheaply, resulting in them being everywhere: sort of like power-ups for a plat former game.

There was another guy who had the idea to make God of war into a TTRPG, and I would also approve heavily of that idea. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252960)

Eldan
2012-08-20, 10:12 AM
Currently, I'm busy re-writing my Etherworld setting from the ground up. My current problem is that it is already 60 pages long and perhaps half done, so I worry no one will actually read it when I publish it here.
As soon as it is done, or at least done-ish, I want to run a Skype campaign in it. I'm currently looking at some convertable pre-written adventures. So far, I'm mostly wavering between Freeport and Shackled City, both with heavy rewrites.

Siegel
2012-08-21, 04:11 AM
In general, I have always been interested in the idea of a Side-scrolling TTRPG, rather than the traditional top-down version: think something like castlevania.

A system that has (streamlined) laws of physics outside the rules abstraction: Objects and creatures having a certain density value, for instance, damage being based on speed x mass for some things, and various example I can't remember.

I think a size bonus determined by the number of individual squares a creature takes up would be cool: removes the arbitrary linearity of size-categories.

This sounds horrible

I want to make a game about anthropomorphic animals in school and funny highschool drama. It should be round bases where every player plays his Character and a teacher and has to frame a scene of the class this teacher is giving. They should be hillarious.
In some way the game should be about being funny, getting good grades while not loosing social status or the other way arround.

Doorhandle
2012-08-21, 06:04 AM
This sounds horrible

Why does it sound horrible? If it goes horribly wrong I would like to know how.

Jack of Spades
2012-08-21, 06:04 AM
This sounds horrible

I want to make a game about anthropomorphic animals in school and funny highschool drama. It should be round bases where every player plays his Character and a teacher and has to frame a scene of the class this teacher is giving. They should be hillarious.
In some way the game should be about being funny, getting good grades while not loosing social status or the other way arround.

Sounds like a really weird Fiasco playset... With a two-characters-per-player rule, probably activated by stunt dice or something. Eh, Fiasco's pliable, it could work.

Also, telling someone else their idea sounds horrible without justifying or elaborating is a) rude and b) not the best way to lead into an idea that sums up as "What if we made a high school movie game... For furries?"

See that? That was sort of a d**k thing to say. And I'm sorry. And you should apologize too.

Doorhandle
2012-08-21, 07:23 AM
Also, telling someone else their idea sounds horrible without justifying or elaborating is a) rude and b) not the best way to lead into an idea that sums up as "What if we made a high school movie game... For furries?"

See that? That was sort of a d**k thing to say. And I'm sorry. And you should apologize too.

No need to be definsive and passive-aggressive in my stead, jack of spades; I'm not annoyed, just curious as to his reasoning.

Also, the antho thing is compleay incidental to the base concept.:smallbiggrin:

Siegel
2012-08-21, 07:25 AM
yes, i am sorry and this was way out of line.

Your idea just sounded extremly slow to resolve and clunky. I can see how text adventure work as an RPG but i can't do for side scrollers.
Maybe it can be done elegantly and fluid and cool but my first reaction was just: IRGH way to much real world like math for playfun.

I am sorry.