PDA

View Full Version : Nauseated, how to resist?

demigodus
2012-08-18, 02:40 AM
From the srd:

Nauseated
Experiencing stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.

Now, normally I would assume that a functioning stomach is required to experience stomach distress. However, under the types and subtypes on the srd, nothing is immune to being nauseated. Not even constructs, and undead. Is this correct? Can I temporarily take a lich out of combat by upsetting its stomach?

Also, what are some ways to protect yourself against being nauseated, or remove the condition once an ally is effected by it? Is there anything effective a character might be able to do while nauseated, other then run away?

Basically, I'm trying to get an idea of how powerful a status effect this is, after recently discovering that I may be dealing with it a bit in my campaign...

Reluctance
2012-08-18, 02:41 AM
Dramamine?

Cespenar
2012-08-18, 02:47 AM
This clause is usually how Constructs and Undead resist against nausea:

-Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).

As "curing" it, Iron Heart Surge might help (not just under RAW but RAI as well).

Khatoblepas
2012-08-18, 02:53 AM
Warforged are immune:

Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, and energy drain.

You can make an undead not immune to nausea with the Spark of Life spell.

Strong Stomach (Cityscape) reduces Nausea to Sickened, and Sickened to nothing.

demigodus
2012-08-18, 03:58 AM
Dramamine?

Sorry, not familiar with that term...

This clause is usually how Constructs and Undead resist against nausea:

Ah, completely forgot about that...

As "curing" it, Iron Heart Surge might help (not just under RAW but RAI as well).

Isn't IHS a standard action to use? Meaning, you should be able to shrug it off, but actually you can't?

You can make an undead not immune to nausea with the Spark of Life spell.

Ah, didn't know about that spell, thank you. Sadly it is a level 8 spell for me, with Saving Throw: will negates, and Spell Resistance: yes. At that point I might as well just hit them with an equal level Save or Die.

Strong Stomach (Cityscape) reduces Nausea to Sickened, and Sickened to nothing.

Hmmm, interesting. Kinda waste of a feat though, isn't it? Especially with endurance as a pre-req...

Khatoblepas
2012-08-18, 04:18 AM
Yeah, it's not really worth it to try and use that kind of status effect on the undead. Though, if you're really intent on getting an undead nauseated, Song of the Dead (DrComp) + Lastai's Caress (BOED) has a 1 in 4 chance of making them nauseated, no save.

Additionally, because it's now a Necromancy (Good) spell and not an Enchantment (Compulsion, Mind Affecting) spell, they are also now afraid, since the undead's immunity to fear stems from their blanket mind affecting immunity, not a specific immunity to fear. Song of the Dead removes the mind affecting descriptor from the spell.

Enjoy some cowering, nauseated liches.

Slipperychicken
2012-08-18, 10:45 AM
It can be powerful, like any action-denial effect. It usually has Fort negates, so Stinking Cloud for example is basically an AoE save-or-be-worthless, much like Glitterdust or Web.

A few spells cure it, I think. Hero's Feast is one, although unusable in battle.

What you can do with Stinking Cloud is just wait for something to walk out of it (then beat it to death), or for the duration to expire (if it's staying in the cloud. In which case surround it and kill anything that comes out). No rush; if the people inside failed their saves, they're Nauseated as long as they're in the cloud and 2-5 rounds after they come out -More than enough time to clobber them.

You can lob Fireballs into the cloud radius just fine, I think. Same with any other AoE blast.

Extraordinary Spell Aim (feat, complete adventurer) lets one creature go unaffected, so you can have the Barbarian charge in just before you cast it and beat people to death. Invisible Spell (+0 metamagic) should mean the cloud doesn't stop vision, so your archers can still shoot things inside.

You can also get a summon that's immune to Nausea waltz into the cloud and whack people inside.