PDA

View Full Version : Dark Intent (OOC)

Pages : [1] 2

Vesth
2012-08-18, 04:48 AM
The world was generally at peace; wars seldom happen, if at all, and even since the Demonic Invasion was pushed back to whatever realm they came from, there wasn't much need for adventurers.

But then the Dracolich came.

No one knew how the mighty dragon came back from the dead with it's own undead army, and while some suspected that he had some sort of help (or that he managed to somehow turn himself undead), there were more worrying thing to deal with. The dracolich was powerful, vengeful and wanted everything.

With undead armies sacking and looting cities, they brought down town after town, even bringing down the mighty Vaierie and her paladins with the help of goblins and owlbears.

But with your help, and some strategic planning, you routed the forces, and leaving the human Commander Eliza with her troops to deal with the army, you head straight to the Dracolich's lair to strike the problem at it's source.

The battle was long and tiring, but ultimately successful, as the two of you corner it in the deepest part of its lair, striking deadly blow after deadly blow.

But even in its death throes, the dracolich was vengeful, determined to hinder the two if it couldn't defeat them.

Thrashing around, it knocked down pillars, wreaked supports, smashed the ceiling even as it went down.

It wasn't to make things easy for the two to escape.

The Generals
The armies that fought back the dracolich and its huge army is a coalition of smaller kingdoms, rulers, nobles and small bands of fighters. Overseeing the whole operation are 12 generals.

Roilim Mannazer
The leader of the coalition, an elven noble that advanced age, had no army to contribute, but had a wealth of intellect and wisdom that he used extensively to help the other generals plan and battle.

Assumed Location: The capital of Allenza

Meeno Cath
A young and impressioned human druid with massive talent, the 22 year old woman commands several forests and their inhabitants. A valuable asset in forrested areas, but not very useful when creatures that are born of fire are involved. She hates the undead with a fiery passion, and deeply mistrusts Pietro.

Assumed Location: The capital of Allenza, recuperating from burn wounds.

Norr Nillien
A dragonborn paladin, the determined bringer of light leads a contigent of paladins of various faith and deities...he is very open to many different religions, and his tolerance helps him garner such a force. Mistrusts all three of you, being mercenaries.

Assumed Location: Unknown. He wouldn't tell you he was going.

Kakrac Zhim
A dwarven fighter, the bot-bellied fellow is warm and kind, and his fantasic speeches shows his talent for winning people's hearts. With the help of his clan, he managed to gather the largest force of people willing to fight, a mix of many different races of the same goal.

Assumed Location: Somewhere to the west, leading the army against the main bulk to the Dracolich's.

Elanader Namer
An eladrin skald, she often travels, and serves as a spy for the coalition, delivering crucial information on the enemy. She was how you found out about the caves the Dracolich was hiding in.

Assumed Location: Unknown. She's travels so frequently, it is often rumored that only Roilim knows where she is most of the time.

Marcelle Sen
A fighter like Kakrac, but of human and elven descent, she holds a substantially smaller force than Kakrac (just a few dozen, in fact), and often attacks with hit-and-run tactics. Mistrusts Lelouch due to the fact that he has a thrall, a servant, which having one is against her principles that everyone should be free.

Location: Somewhere very close, north of Limner...fighting bugbears, most likely.

Draketh Monolin
A halfling sorcerer, the dimunitive spellcaster and archmage of The Circlois Wis, leads the band of spellcasters as a force of pure destruction, trap setting...and anything that requires a magical touch. Draketh himself seems only involved in the war because The Circlois Wis borders on one of the lands attacked by the Dracolich.

Assumed Location: Somewhere southwest, following a mysterious magical signature.

Lord K.
The cloaked human rogue never says much during meetings, but from what you can gather, he leads an elite strike force of assassinations and the like.

Assumed Location: Unknown

Lelouch

Pietro

Brasthem Wan
Missing, assumed dead.

Vora Akanish
Confirmed dead.

---

Houserules:

Rituals:
Ritual Casters can cast one ritual for free per day (only for rituals that DO NOT have permament effects! Certain rituals which requires offering to external beings may still require components).

Ritual scrolls do not require any ingredients (exceptions - see above).

Rituals that only affect the caster has a 5 round casting time.
Rituals that affect the party or an object have a 1 minute casting time.
Rituals that affect a small area or multiple objects have a 5 minute casting time.
Rituals that affect a large area (including transportation, divination or scrying has a 10 minute casting time.

The ritual caster may choose to spend a healing surge to speed up the ritual by one fifth. However, any checks made have a -2 penalty. The ritual cannot be decreased beyond 5 round casting time.

The URL I got this from is now defunct, so I have no idea who to credit.

Key Ability Scores Can Suck It (http://angrydm.com/2011/09/key-ability-scores-can-suck-it/)

Whenever I, as the DM, determined that a playerís action was appropriate to a certain skill, but not the key ability score, I made them substitute the modifier for the more apporpriate score.

You still have to tell me what you want to substitute it with, and convince me it's appropriate. The DM's word is final :smallwink:

---

Post up your character sheets, your color, swear by your little pinky that you don't disappear without telling me first, and let's get going!

IC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13748041#post13748041) here.

tarsusc81
2012-08-18, 10:37 AM
I'll work on my fluff on Monday, then post my full character sheet. I don't really have any input for the possible circumstances of how our duo got together; open to ideas from anyone there.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-18, 04:17 PM
I don't think either of us took ritual caster. That is sort of a blind-spot to most players. You still need that feat to use scrolls, right? Do you think either of us should take ritual caster?

also in the intro in the IC thread, you switch between mentioning three heros and two heros. is my thrall alive at the moment? and how many resources do you want to start with spent from the fight with the draco-lich? (dailies, encounter powers, healing surges)

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-18, 06:51 PM
Here is what i figure to be my final version of my character sheet.
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Lelouch "Black Prince", level 21
Revenant, Psion|Warlord, Thrallherd, Demiurge
Discipline Focus (Hybrid): Telepathy Focus (Hybrid)
Warlord Leadership: Battlefront Leader (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlord: Hybrid Warlord Fortitude
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid): Hybrid Power Point Option
Becoming the One: Becoming the One (Intelligence)
Choose your Race in Life: Kalashtar
Background: Disgraced Noble (+2 to Diplomacy)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 18, Dex 12, Int 26, Wis 14, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 8, Int 18, Wis 11, Cha 12.

AC: 36 Fort: 29 Reflex: 34 Will: 34
HP: 82/110, Surges: 4/10, Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +23, Perception +17, Bluff +25, Athletics +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Diplomacy +18, Dungeoneering +12, Endurance +14, Heal +12, History +18, Insight +12, Intimidate +16, Nature +12, Religion +18, Stealth +9, Streetwise +18, Thievery +9

FEATS
Level 1: Practiced Killer
Level 2: Ki Focus Expertise
Level 4: Melee Training (Intelligence)
Level 6: Focused Mind
Level 8: Vistani Heritage
Level 10: Eye of Paranoia
Level 11: Repel Charge
Level 12: Fierce Vitality
Level 14: Disciple of Death
Level 16: Superior Will
Level 18: Dominating Mind
Level 20: Opportunity Sidestep
Level 21: Persistent Eye

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Commander's Strike
Hybrid Power Point Option: Powerful Warning
Hybrid utility 2: Shake It Off -- Used
Hybrid utility 6: Mind Shroud
Hybrid at-will 7: Betrayal
Hybrid daily 9: Mind Blast
Hybrid utility 10: Faulty Memory
Hybrid daily 15: Dominate -- Used
Hybrid utility 16: Mind Blank -- Used
Hybrid at-will 17: Thought Guardian
Hybrid daily 19: War Master's Assault -- Used

ITEMS
Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness (paragon tier), Antipathy Gloves (heroic tier), Repulsion Efreetweave Armor +5, Longsword, Seeing Stone of Yandere +4, Amulet of Seduction +4, Curse Eye Tattoo (heroic tier), Phrenic Crown (paragon tier), Heavy Shield, Phylactery of Action (heroic tier), Boots of the Fencing Master (heroic tier), Adventurer's Kit, Potion of Invulnerability (heroic tier) (2)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Obedient Thrall: Knight Suzaku
The thrallís statistics are based on your level and your abilities.
Speed: 5 squares
Defenses: AC 37, Fortitude 34, Reflex 33, Will 32
Hit Points: 73/98 (+4 more each time I level up)
Initiative: The thrall acts during each of your turns.
Attacks: If the thrall makes an attack, you make the attack through the thrall. If someone would provoke from the thrall, you must be able to take an oppritunity action, using the trall's basic attack. The thrallís attack can benefit from the enhancment of your implement or his weapon, but not both.
Basic attack Maul: +27+2 vs AC; 4d6+12
+8(int)+10(lvl)+4(ki)+3(expt)+2(maul prof)+2(power) vs AC; 4d6 +8(int)+4(ki)

The thrall uses your actions, if you have line of effect to command it.
Minor action: crawl, escape, stand, open or close a door or container, squeeze or move.
Whenever you take a move action, your thrall can move as a free action.
You make an oppritunity attack through the thrall, without the +2 power, but it gains +4 to attack if the target is entering a square adjacent to you.

Checks: If the thrall can make a skill check or an ability check, you make the check.
Temporary Modifiers: Attacks and checks you make through the thrall do not include temporary bonuses or penalties to Lelouch's statistics.
While adjacent to the thrall, Lelouch gains a +2 to all defenses.
Magic Items: Can be equipped with only a single enchanted item.
+2 DrakeScale Armor of Dogged Grit: Whenever the target takes 20 damage or more from an attack, it gains 5 temporary hit points.
When you use your second wind, the thrall regains hitpoints equal to your healing surge value.
The thrall (if alive) regains all of its hitpoints when you take a short rest. Raise Dead ritual 5000 gp.

Lelouch (https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7mnH7tMan7gdFZDek0teWV0cHc)

Vesth
2012-08-18, 10:03 PM
also in the intro in the IC thread, you switch between mentioning three heros and two heros. is my thrall alive at the moment? and how many resources do you want to start with spent from the fight with the draco-lich? (dailies, encounter powers, healing surges)

I mentioned 3 combatants, as in '2 people and a Dracolich'. So, yeah, I didn't take your thrall into account :/

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-19, 12:30 AM
I mentioned 3 combatants, as in '2 people and a Dracolich'. So, yeah, I didn't take your thrall into account :/

Thanks, i just wanted to double-check and make sure ^_^ but yeah, after fighting a draco-lich id assume us to be nearly on our last legs

PS, something i noticed is that my paragon path thrall is 1[w] standard attack, but when you hit level 21, most at-wills, like basic attacks, increase to 2[w], and the thrallherd paragon path is one of the least clarified PP, so i just took an intuitive leap and made his attacks 2[w] now instead of 1[w], if that is okay?

Vesth
2012-08-19, 01:12 AM
It's fine. I assumed that you're took a short rest after your battle, and already healed yourselves, so take it that everyone's at full life with everything intact.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-19, 01:40 AM
"Building is falling down. RUN!" + "You've taken a short (5 min) rest, so you are healed up, and regained encounter powers" = :confused: ???

personally, i think it would make sense for us to all be just bloodied (or just above blooded for the regenerating vampire) and some powers expended. it fits mechanically and thematically. i would have probably dominated the dracolich into eating its own neck or taking out its allies, hehehe

Vesth
2012-08-19, 02:36 AM
Alright then *shrug*

The two of you have 3/4 of your health left with 2 dailies expended. Choose which two.

I rather not give you guys too much of a disadvantage to whatever's going to happen.

tarsusc81
2012-08-22, 12:38 PM
Sorry, guys. I completely forgot to subscribe to the new threads.

Need to finally work on my fluff now. We're obviously not too concerned with backstory at this point, so I'll make it short and sweet, including anything about how Pietro and Lelouch met.

tarsusc81
2012-08-23, 01:01 PM
Here we go. Pietro, the Human Vampire/Battlemind:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=434547

Did I say short and sweet? Whoops . . .

I filled in the details of Pietro and Lelouch's meeting. Let me know if you've got suggestions.

tarsusc81
2012-08-23, 04:36 PM
@Jack

Re: Heavy Blade - A bit confused on that. Doesn't a ki enhancement bonus only apply to an attack if it has both the "weapon" AND "implement" keywords?

Re: Armor - Is that how it works? I thought proficiency with leather was a prerequisite for having the hide feat at any time, not just to take it initially. I'll try it in the CB.

tarsusc81
2012-08-23, 10:59 PM
@Jack - From the rules on retraining:

"A feat canít be replaced if itís a prerequisite for any of the characterís other attributes (such as another feat or a paragon path)"

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-24, 12:29 AM
Found more art, and noticed something :P
Image http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0LJ7zmk7ieA/TmRHV2JgvmI/AAAAAAAAADE/51O7lCrbU8w/s1600/Lelouch.pnghttp://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/209/6/2/Lelouch___Geass_by_SoullessHakumen.jpghttp://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/4new/cc/march2010/13Vecna.jpgVecna Daddy?

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-24, 01:00 AM
Pietro's Story (With minor edits where Lelouch is concerned)
Pietro lived his early life in a small village under the control of the warlord Drogor - an endurable place compared with life under many other, more bloodthirsty lords. Drogor, though an amoral man and willing to use ruthless means to assert his authority, was not cruel, and he left his vassals mostly in peace as long as they paid their tribute.

When Pietro was a young man, a large tribe of kobolds attacked Drogor's territory in force. A small rural village hardly being the first priority for the warlord's defenses, there were few able bodied fighters to resist the razing horde. Taking an old and battered sword in hand, an un-trained Pietro stood against the overwhelming force at the forefront of a line of mere farmers. More unsuspecting kobolds lost their lives to Pietro's fury than to any other defender; he little knew that even in this battle he was beginning to tap the psionic power that lay within him. When Drogor's troops arrived, pursuing a routed force of the kobolds and finally finishing off the village's own invaders, they noted with surprise the courage and skill of a warrior in the making. They took Pietro to their master, who offered a position in his ranks. His last surviving family member, an uncle, having been killed in the attack, Pietro had little reason to resist his change in fate.

Pietro trained heavily in the ways of war, and he soon gained the esteem not only of his warband comrades, but of Drogor himself. When scant years had passed, Pietro had become a favorite of his lord; he gained prominent position in Drogor's ranks, as well as widespread notoriety in his lands, and he enjoyed all the luxuries Drogor's prosperity could provide. But Pietro loved battle more than anything and took every opportunity to fight, be it on the battlefield or in a tournament ring. Early in these years, Drogor's keen insight recognized Pietro's mental talents; being a psionic adept himself, he took Pietro under his wing to give him personal training, and the young man's psychic abilities began to grow as potent as his physical prowess.

Perhaps Drogor became complacent over the years, because eventually his power base began to crumble, and rival warlords closed in around him before he knew he was doomed. One day Drogor was poisoned by his enemies and died leaving a shrinking territory with no one to take his place. The rival warlords moved in to divide the spoils and lure Drogor's troops to their own ranks. But Pietro, now Drogor's foremost captain, had gained too much loyalty among his men. He bolstered Drogor's old forces and made such a public show of resistance that his enemies knew they dared not risk massive rebellion by dismantling Drogor's lands. So a now diminished territory was left in the hands of a warband loyal to one man . . . and then he left. Fully facing his dissatisfaction with his war-forged life now that Drogor was gone, Pietro made a trusted lieutenant his successor and wandered far from his homeland, taking few men with him.

Pietro thus became an adventurer of even more renown than he held as a military champion. And as he and his men sought their fortune in dark dungeons and with mercenary work, Pietro found himself helping others more often than not, and leaving the uncaring battle lust of his past behind. One day, Pietro's band found themselves infiltrating the lair of the Dhamphyr Mistress Vesryn. There they found her standing over of a bound man, mocking the boy and calling him 'the black prince'. As Pietro's forces attacked the undead creature, they quickly found themselves overwhelmed by ranks of her vampire-spawn and outmatched. Even with the aid of his mental assaults on the blooddrinkers, Pietro's men were all killed and Lelouch suffered what should have been a killing blow. Pietro barely managed to escape, carrying Lelouch with him.

The two having found their fortunes intertwined, Pietro and Lelouch fell in together and began to combine their strength for the adventures that came their way. Soon they had a reputation as partners, and great users of the Psionic arts. But while Lelouch seemed unconcerned to leave Vesryn alone and more worried about gaining his own power, the defeat gnawed at Pietro. And something about the enchanting vampire had beguiled him as well. Between adventures, without even fully understanding why, he began to secretly return to Vesryn's lair, desiring to come face to face with her a second time. Again and again, he now found the lair seemingly abandoned. Then, one day, it was not. Vesryn had returned, and Pietro was faced with her as he had desired, though now he little knew what he intended to do. As he stood transfixed, she set her fangs to him and turned him to her kind. Before she could bind Pietro to her will, he was saved from becoming her eternal servant by Lelouch and his guard, and finally destroyed her returning Pietro's deed of years before. The damage was done however; Vesryn's bite had transformed Pietro into a creature of the night, and the bloodlust he had managed to forget now became a gnawing hunger impossible to ignore - an affliction he would have to live with as the pair continued to seek their fortune . . .

Lelouch's Story
Lelouch was born the son of a nobleman, though he keeps his exact lineage and station secret from all close to him. The little known on the subject though is that he was being raised as a pawn General under his fathers thumb. This did not suit the young Lelouch at all, and through efforts to throw off the yoke, commuted some act of treachery and was disgraced, losing all noble station.

Thus he gained the dubious title of "The Black Prince", which he tries to keep secret. This calls into question just who exactly his father might be.

One good thing that came out of his training to be a military leader though was a mind well suited for warfare and battle tactics, but also Psionic manipulation of others actions. For better to break an enemy forces resolve turning it in on itself with allies fighting each other before sending his own subordinates in to crush them.

Now left to his own devices and his own survival, he became an adventurer to make his earning. He never stuck with any party members long though, with them either leaving or chasing him off with accusations of using and treating them like pawns or tools. Perhaps he had gained some of his fathers legacy afterall, seeming to have no sympathy for the emotions of others, as long as the ends were achieved.

One such time, he had heard rumor of a Vampire den that contained vast troves of wealth and items of significant power. Well into the cavern depths though, after several fights with clusters of feral vampire spawn, his party became fed up with him and abandoned him to fate alone in the undead lair.

Quickly captured and brought before the Lady Vesryn, Vampire Matron of the coven he had intruded into. She recognized his bloodline and features, knowing his father well from pacts they had made in the past in the past. She snickered and set to mocking the 'poor outcast son of a King', as a soul tortured, full of anger and misery tasted far sweeter.

Before she could end him though, a great warrior and his followers burst in and engaged her coven in battle. Seeing an oppritunity for escape and survival, Lelouch began barking out warnings and orders of attack, as well as reaching into minds of the spawn and willing them to attack each other. Though the warrior lost all of his allies, and Vesryn nearly slashed out Lelouchs eye, he survived with aide from the defender Pietro. Not eager to be abandoned again, Lelouch took on a friendly and polite guise with Pietro and earned the mans trust. For some time now they have adventured together, gaining power, wealth, and renown.

One day, a former subordinate from the division Lelouch commanded showed up. He had been suspended from service and exiled, so he saw fit to seek out his previous commander and work alongside Lelouch. 'The Black Prince' was glad to have another willing ally, but wanted to keep tighter reigns and not need the charade of comradery. So he begain work of permantly binding Suzaku's will to that of his own, and tweaking his mind so he would never mention the details of Lelouch's past or familial ties.

He began noticing his companion Pietro going missing now and then and set out to track where he went. On the last time he followed personally, to find the battlemind being enthralled by the Damphyr Vesryn. Lelouch and Suzaku together attacked and killed the matron, but not before Pietro was forever scarred and changed into an unliving thing. Though unsure of his loyalty (afterall, he had been coming to the caverns of the coven) Lelouch swore to keep Pietro's secret, though it could always be used as leverage for coersion.

And thus, Lelouch set about securing more power, renown, and prestiege...some might say worship even...so that he might topple a god-king and take his rightful throne.

Obviously a good deal of this is secret, but I wanted to share. For all personal insights, Lelouch seems to be good-natured, kind, and helpful. He has his own goals though, and is very calculating to see them fulfilled, at any cost should it come to that.

tarsusc81
2012-08-24, 07:11 AM
I'm confused. Is Lelouch a revenant? A revenant is someone who has died and come back to life.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-24, 06:28 PM
Normally, yes. I am re-fluffing it a bit. His death threshold is sort of like the super sayians from DBZ. Every time he nearly dies, he can take more punishment and is that much harder to kill him, and will eventually be immortal.

tarsusc81
2012-08-25, 04:27 PM
Now I'm getting nervous! Pietro has made three skill checks now. I think Lelouch still has a couple more before the same is true for him (since the thrall was the one that made the last), but I don't think Pietro should take time to make any more.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-25, 06:50 PM
yeah i know, and you seem to have caught my forum roller problems. the dice seem determined to not roll 10 or above

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-28, 06:58 AM
PS, i just thought: Suzaku is technically an NPC. it is a companion character, and is is bound to do my bidding (i need to read more on the rules and flavor of thrallherd PP) but as an additional character not my own, i don't think i should handle his dialogue if any. i command him, but he is still a living person. and i can occasionally loosen the reigns and let him do his own thing.

just and fyi Vesth, if you wanted to do anything with Suzaku

tarsusc81
2012-08-28, 07:02 AM
lol, it was a nice thought . . .

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-28, 07:32 AM
what? we're running away now. i had one last thought, but it didnt work and i don't want to waste time digging for the arcane key. it was worth a try, but now we can flee the falling building

Vesth
2012-08-28, 07:33 AM
PS, i just thought: Suzaku is technically an NPC. it is a companion character, and is is bound to do my bidding (i need to read more on the rules and flavor of thrallherd PP) but as an additional character not my own, i don't think i should handle his dialogue if any. i command him, but he is still a living person. and i can occasionally loosen the reigns and let him do his own thing.

just and fyi Vesth, if you wanted to do anything with Suzaku

Huh. I figured it's be up to you to roleplay Suzaku, as you probably have an idea of its characteristics and mannerisms, and it'll be easier for you to coordinate responses of intereactions between Lelouch and his thrall.

Of course, if you want me to take the mantle of handling it instead, I could, but its behavior might not be what you planned out for it.

Vesth
2012-08-28, 07:34 AM
Wait, so both of you are done plundering the place? I need confirmation of this, cause you might not be able to come back.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-28, 07:49 AM
I am done plundering, as I am not sure how much further i can push my luck without a bit of ceiling landing on my head :P also, i don't want to take TOO big a penalty to any skill checks coming up, heh. and i think it makes sense. we got a scepter that looks like the one up on the wall, didnt get through the sigil in one go, dont want to dig for the key, dont want to die.

anyways, it was a bad idea on a lark anyways. the fresco shows them fighting off some tentacled abomination with the scepter. i might have been trying to open a portal to the far realm for all i know.

TO ADVENTURE! *runs off blindly* (not really)

tarsusc81
2012-08-28, 08:27 AM
Well, heh . . . I'm doubting, now that the DM is expressing surprise . . . but yeah, Pietro is running for it now.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-28, 09:33 PM
my best score by far is arcana, but i am not exactly sure how it applies in this fleeing situation.

what would i use to assess and predict what parts might be sturdy and what parts are going to collapse sooner? perception or dungeoneering?(which i sometimes take to mean architectural studies :P)

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-28, 11:10 PM
two failures, OUCH

[roll0]+[roll1] = 15 damage.
Current HP 82-15 = 67

Vesth
2012-08-28, 11:17 PM
Arcana can be used to sense incomIng magical projectiles, such as falling pieces of rock with residual magic (from previously enchanted passageways for extra stability) and leftover magical traps that you didn't manage to find on your way here.

Dungeoneering can be used to understand the general architecture, and what could be constituted as weak points and should thus be avoided. Perception allows you to see cracks in surfaces and vibrations that may signal something is going to give.

tarsusc81, remember to roll damage.

You can repeat checks every 3 checks.

EDIT:Certain powers may be used. Run them by me first.

Vesth
2012-08-28, 11:26 PM
Successes:

tarsusc81: 2/6
JackOfAllBuilds: 2/6 (Your thrall is assumed to be able to keep up with you, so I'll allow you to keep that athletics roll for your second wave of 3 checks.)

tarsusc81
2012-08-28, 11:51 PM
@Vesth - Sorry, I thought you would be calling the successes/failures and declaring damage.

So, when you say we can repeat checks every three checks, does that mean that my next three could essentially be the same as my first three? (I have a couple other likely ones I could use, but for me the hardest valid skill DCs are actually impossible to hit.)

tarsusc81
2012-08-29, 12:01 AM
@Vesth - I've got three powers and/or items that seem apt, but need your ruling on how they would translate to skill challenge successes:

Gaseous Form: Gives fly speed of 8, and I'm phasing. (Ideas: Can I phase through a passageway's rubble as one success, and/or maybe get a bonus on a check to clear the rubble on the other side?) This also gives a bonus to Stealth after I use it, but I assume the application of Stealth has to do with moving carefully, and since I'd already be flying anyway . . .

Lesser Ring of Feather Fall: I don't take damage if I should fall. Don't know that that would really translate into a success.

Wallwakers: Can walk on walls, either briefly (length of a turn) or, if I use the power, for a sustained period of time.

Vesth
2012-08-29, 12:16 AM
So, when you say we can repeat checks every three checks, does that mean that my next three could essentially be the same as my first three? (I have a couple other likely ones I could use, but for me the hardest valid skill DCs are actually impossible to hit.)

Yes, yes you can.

Gaseous Form: 1 auto-success.

Lesser Ring of Feather Fall: Nothing, I'm afraid.

Wallwakers: +5 to Acrobatics and Athletics checks.

tarsusc81
2012-08-29, 12:44 AM
Wow, I completely forgot that Stealth was one of the 35 DC checks before I rolled it. I cannot believe I got the natural 20.

Vesth
2012-08-29, 12:55 AM
And a natural 20 is a double success. Congrats.

tarsusc81: Done
JackOfAllBuilds: 2/6

@tarsusc81: Techically, you have escaped, but you can sill help Lelouch by looking out for him. These checks can be used in this situation:
Arcana DC 26
Dungeoneering DC 26
Perception DC 26
History DC 35
Nature DC 35

EDIT: A success gives him a +5 bonus to his next check. A failure is a -2 penalty.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-29, 03:19 AM
i was just checking all my utilities and item powers, none of them really apply to skill challenges or fleeing a collapsing building :P they are mostly focused on saving throws (penalties to enemies, bonuses or rerolls to me or allies) or fight-focused.

which i should post all my combos up here so you aren't suprised when i use them

Vesth
2012-08-29, 04:32 AM
1 more success to go, JackOfAllBuilds!

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-29, 05:59 AM
yeah i know, im giving you a chance to give some DM descriptor fluff (take your turn as it were) and see if tarsusc wants to aide me or anything before i try a pathetic roll.

maybe you should Indiana Jones this up and have a boulder chasing me out? haha

tarsusc81
2012-08-29, 06:50 AM
@Jack - I think any of my checks to aid would be far more likely to cause a penalty to you than a bonus. It's impossible for me to hit the History and Nature DCs, and my best skill among the others would still require a natural 16 roll.

tarsusc81
2012-08-29, 08:00 PM
Reminder: Award skill challenge XP!

tarsusc81
2012-08-29, 08:03 PM
I'm not sure what we're rolling perception/arcana for. (Or do you just want us to roll, and you'll fill in description?)

Vesth
2012-08-29, 08:56 PM
Yup. You'll know why soon.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-29, 10:46 PM
Crud, I rolled a 2.
I'm not sure if I want to use Zero from the anime
Maybe Guy-L (ha, guile)

Vesth
2012-08-30, 01:59 AM
I don't have a map, because the computer I'm using right now doesn't have maptool. I might have that program back next week, but we'll have to see how that goes. I'll be very grateful if someone tells me how to make a map without downloading anything, or if someone could make a map for me. It's a 6X6 square, with every space filled with people. If you add co-ordinates, A to F on left to right and 1 to 6 up to down, Lelouch will be at C3, and Pietro will be at D4. Every other space in an enemy wielding knives.

EDIT: Each person gets 3200 exp from the skill challenge.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-30, 02:25 AM
im not sure if you already have photoshop, but if you did you could just use google to find a small grassy field map, and use photoshop to layer on tokens

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-30, 02:50 AM
Or you could use roll20.net
it is a browser based rpg tool of maptools
i used mine to whip up a quick map, though im not sure how to give control of it to someone else

http://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/34289/dark-intent

Vesth
2012-08-30, 05:26 AM
...I'm not authorized to see it. Huh.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-30, 06:01 AM
That's really weird...should have worked. Did you make an account?

Edit: oh here we go, invite link. https://app.roll20.net/join/34289/iOpJcw

Vesth
2012-08-30, 06:52 AM
Goddammit. Internet Explorer is not compatible, I refuse to download anything on my computer since it's crashing around 3 times in 5 hours (and it only has IE), and it doesn't support mobile browsers.

tarsusc81
2012-08-30, 08:34 AM
If your version of IE isn't really old, you should be able to use Google Docs. I say we just use a spreadsheet there as the grid for now; no need to worry about terrain or fancy pictures.

Vesth
2012-08-30, 09:36 AM
Good idea. I'll try that. In the meantime, you can attack, it's both your turns, after all.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-30, 05:49 PM
OH! And again, don't forget my thrall. he can be anywhere you like, but adjacent to me would be nice
#forgettable3rdman

Vesth
2012-08-30, 05:54 PM
...and I keep forgetting. Your thrall is at B3, and the enemy there is displaced to -A, 3

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-30, 07:36 PM
should i paste an image of the map here or in the IC page?
also, i think i am going to let the vampire go first, then warn him to move

i am about to use an ALL CREATURES, unfriendly stunning power

p.s. since we're surrounded by enemies, we cant shift through them right? when we roll initiative/start an encounter i or ally can shift half speed (warlord)

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/2930/round1r.png

Vesth
2012-08-30, 08:01 PM
They're all crowding around you, trying to stab you with daggers, so no, there's nowhere for you to shift. You don't have to roll initiative for this battle. They're all normal villagers, and are naturally slower than national heroes.

Initiative:
Both of you
Everyone else

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-30, 08:32 PM
allright. but in a normal battle i hope we roll inititave so i can use my Battlefront Shift encounter warlord class power.

also dang it. i was just looking through the paragon path, and it seems he can only make his attack, cant do normal things like grab or bullrush :( [wanted him to bull rush a3 so i could squeeze my way out]

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-30, 11:33 PM
i would also like to see the results of the attacks before i use my readied action after tarsusc8's blast attack, as it isn't triggered til the teleport at the end of the power

Vesth
2012-08-31, 04:52 AM
The results are: everyone he and you have hit so far is now unconcious. Are you still going to continue with your readied action? I'll update the IC when you're done.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-31, 05:26 AM
Yes, i will continue with my action, thank you.

EDIT: WOOHOO! I MISSED SUZAKU'S WILL BY 1!!!

ps, adding a link to a printout version of my character with all the power cards, etc, to character post

Vesth
2012-08-31, 06:33 AM
Everyone you hit drops...but!

F1 to F5 moves to E1 to E5 and proceeds to kill all the downed villagers at those spots.

D6 to F6 moves to D1 to D3, and proceeds to coup de grace those as well.

You had a natural one on B1, and he moves to C1 to kill off his fallen comerade at that spot.

Also, it's a small, small thing, but I did mention that all the villagers that 'greeted' you are able bodied men...I see women icons :smalleek:

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-31, 07:17 AM
I guess if they are minions they can be killed. All the ones I just hit were only stunned, still had full HP. So they aren't down or helpless, and cant be coup de grace'd

Very creepy btw, bravo.
"Villagers all rush to slice you open. Oh you avoid them? They descend upon eachother, gutting friends and neighbors."

Vesth
2012-08-31, 08:07 AM
Oh, I thought it was damage. Ok, here's the new set of movement.

F1 to F6, D4 and D5 moves to, and kills, all the downed villagers at A4 to C6...with the exception of A6 itself. B1 moves to B3 and tries to stab Lelouch's thrall, but fails miserably. Saves of everyone else:

A1: [roll0]
C1: [roll1]
D1: [roll2]
E1: [roll3]
A2: [roll4]
B2: [roll5]
C2: ([roll6]
D2: [roll7]
E2: [roll8]
D3: ([roll9]
E3: [roll10]
E4: [roll11]
D5: [roll12]
E5: [roll13]

Very creepy btw, bravo.

Why thank you :smallsmile:

tarsusc81
2012-08-31, 01:49 PM
Yeah . . . I'm gonna need a new map in order to have a good sense of where things stand now. :smallsmile:

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-31, 03:55 PM
Oh, I thought it was damage. Ok, here's the new set of movement.

F1 to F6, <-OKAY
D4 and D5 <-STILL STUNNED
^ May i suggest D6 and E6 instead?
moves to, and kills, all the downed villagers at A4 to C6...with the exception of A6 itself. B1 moves to B3 and tries to stab Lelouch's thrall, but fails miserably. Saves of everyone else:

Why thank you :smallsmile:

Also now all the saves are back to normal, its only -4 to first save
except A2 needs to make a -2 save for the -2 saves, and if he doesnt that is still on him

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-31, 04:10 PM
new turn 2 with all males
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7012/round2m.png

turn 3 map with the not stunned enemies killing the unconcious ones.
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/4239/turn3p.png

i moved them so none provoked oppritunity attacks, and theyre all killing the one they are adjacent to, not standing on

edit: heres a new map after they kill most of the unconscious ones, and showing who is still stunned with a blue bar.
oh and i just checked, missing B2, he is dazed until EoNT, so he charged suzaku
(mind blast has a miss effect)
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/6678/turn3end.png

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-08-31, 05:23 PM
i guess it is back to my turn now?

Vesth
2012-08-31, 08:53 PM
i guess it is back to my turn now?

Ah, yes it is. Thanks for the map making.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-01, 02:40 AM
i added an aura 3 to represent where the thought guardian can attack. stunned are orange dots, dazed is purple, bloodied is red, blue is onconcious

i also agged our HP's to the PC's, which is represented by the 3/4 full green bar

Vesth
2012-09-01, 07:15 AM
I'm not sure what that guardian thing is supposed to do...care to elaborate? For example, what happens if the villagers decide to hit the new thing?

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-01, 03:24 PM
It is one of my augmented at wills. It just says I summon it for a round. It doesn't specify that it has any defenses or hit points, it's like an illusion.

Click here (https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7mnH7tMan7gdFZDek0teWV0cHc) to see my at wills and what they do.

Vesth
2012-09-01, 08:50 PM
I need permission to access it, of which I have asked for it.

Vesth
2012-09-01, 09:00 PM
Also, D1 and C2 passed their saves on their previous turn, so they're not stunned.

tarsusc81
2012-09-01, 09:27 PM
I'm getting confused! @Vesth, after your comment IC about not being able to slide a villager with Wrenching Claw, I'm not sure I understand what the transparent figures represent on the map. Are these the unconscious enemies? Do unconscious people actively take up a space? (If they do, they my shift to D5 is also a problem . . .)

Vesth
2012-09-01, 09:46 PM
Oh, wait, sorry. Yes, you can stand in their space. Unconsious people do not take up a space, because they are 'prone', and according to 'Stand Up' in page 292 of the PHB:

Occupied Space: If your space is occupied by
another creature, you can shift 1 square, as part of
this move action, to stand up in an adjacent unoccupied
space. If your space and all adjacent squares are
occupied by other creatures, you canít stand up.

So there's that.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-02, 04:10 AM
okay, i authorized viewership, and changed from "private" to "viewable if they have the link"

PS, im sure he has extra movement, but D1 trying to move adjacent, my Antipathy gloves make it so they have to spend an extra square (faux forcefield)

Vesth
2012-09-02, 04:20 AM
Noted. So now he spends 5 squares to become adjacent to you instead of 4 squares. Not much difference, is there? *wink*

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-02, 04:25 AM
Also I assume you meant Lelouch (my character) who is at -A2. Suzaku my NPC is standing at A3, was ontop of an unconscious body (now viewable since you killed the corpse)

i wish roll20 worked on your computer, or that you werent using IE so i could hand control over to you instead of posting screencaps (which i have to paste into paint, crop, save, upload to imageshack, then link to, for each turn @[email protected]; )

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-02, 04:45 AM
Tarsusc8, do you want to change your two targets with your non-lethal attacks? i had already knocked them unconscious with my Thought Guardian

Vesth
2012-09-02, 04:46 AM
I just got my computer back! :smallbiggrin:

Starting from the next battle onwards, I'll be using Maptool again. For now, I can access Roll20 (don't ask me why I have 2 accounts).

And yes, my bad. It's Lelouch.

Vesth
2012-09-02, 04:48 AM
I swear, if I remember, I have got to try a real Roll20 game after my exams. I've never played anything other than Pbp so far.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-02, 04:49 AM
since i dont think we will hear from Tarsusc8 for a while, what should i do? he failed to notice i had already hit b4 and b5

Do you know which of your accounts i should make the DM of the campaign i made? kevan or vseth?

Vesth
2012-09-02, 05:00 AM
Kevan. And I don't know how to use Roll20, so I hope you could do it for me, just for this battle...please? *puppy eyes*

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-02, 05:35 AM
Kevan. And I don't know how to use Roll20, so I hope you could do it for me, just for this battle...please? *puppy eyes*

okay, i kicked the vseth, and i promoted you to co-DM, but i can keep running it for now. you can open it if you can access it, just to move the mini's around you intend to

tarsusc81
2012-09-02, 07:15 AM
D'oh. Yes, I will change the previous targets to B7 and C7, which I can hit during the same movement. So I'm still in the same place, but B7 and C7 should be unconscious . . . if my previous attacks really did hit.

Vesth
2012-09-02, 07:29 AM
It does. In which case D6 and A6 are still alive, but unconsious.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-02, 11:08 AM
tarsusc8.....

"Guardian attack (25 vs will, 9 psychic & daze EoNT) if they move away from him or attack me." is ALL creatures, including you.

you were in the aura at D5. since you were attacking E5, just do it from adjacent, dont do the shifting out or i have to attack and daze you

tarsusc81
2012-09-02, 07:05 PM
@Jack - Too late. Changing my action after the DM's already taken the enemies' turns is stretching it, especially since he moved an enemy into that space.

However, I've got something else up my sleeve. I will use Timely Dodge as a reaction to move back when the Thought Guardian attacks.

@Vesth, I also absolutely meant to note that I was using Blood Drinker to gain a healing surge with the successful Vampire Slam hit, if you'll allow that slight correction. I'll post these in IC.

Whew, this is a complicated combat as my first with a level 21 character!

tarsusc81
2012-09-02, 07:12 PM
@Vesth, just wanted to clarify something: Timely Dodge allows me to shift when I'm targeted to get out of range if possible. But I was already moving out of range, which is what triggered the attack in the first place. In my understanding, the reason I'm still saved is that Timely Dodge is an immediate interrupt, meaning it's carrying me out of range before the attack ever gets a chance to land. (After which I could then carry out the move that triggered the attack.)

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-02, 07:27 PM
@Vesth, just wanted to clarify something: Timely Dodge allows me to shift when I'm targeted to get out of range if possible. But I was already moving out of range, which is what triggered the attack in the first place. In my understanding, the reason I'm still saved is that Timely Dodge is an immediate interrupt, meaning it's carrying me out of range before the attack ever gets a chance to land. (After which I could then carry out the move that triggered the attack.)

except you can't use oppritunity or immediate actions on your turn, only during the rest of the round.

just please don't move and charge. only make the vampire slam normally.
if you move and i hit you, you will loose the rest of your actions that turn.

if this were a real game instead of play-by-post, i would have reminded you as you were about to do it. but since our turns are hours apart, i think you can fudge this just once...

tarsusc81
2012-09-02, 07:36 PM
(redacted)

Vesth
2012-09-02, 08:00 PM
"Guardian attack (25 vs will, 9 psychic & daze EoNT) if they move away from him or attack me." is ALL creatures, including you.

So this includes shifting?

Anyway, we can just have it as if Pietro didn't move at all. It's won't affect anything, since none of your opponents moved in that general area (the only one that did moved suffered the wrath of Lelouch to prevent him from killing his ally.

Note to self: If the enemy wants to kill you, kill them back. But if the enemy wants to kill each other, keep them alive.

tarsusc81
2012-09-02, 08:09 PM
@Vesth - That's very generous of you. I guess we're back to Lelouch's turn? Or are you editing yours? I'll wait for a map to get a clear idea of where everyone's at now!

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-02, 08:27 PM
okay, and sorry for my little diva tantrum earlier if you saw that, before i scrubbed some of my posts.

i think i know what im going to do this turn. tarsusc, would you mnd deleting your timely dodge post #45, adding the blood drinker edit to post #42 where you had to post the reroll of the attack? just to tidy up the thread a little. i did some spring cleaning in old OOC and a few IC action spoilers, for posterity

Vesth
2012-09-02, 08:34 PM
And I'm deleting my map, because, man, it looks ugly.

Tarc, you can use the latest map by JackOfAllBuilds, I think.

-A,1 is now unconsious, A1 and A2 are no longer stunned.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-02, 08:37 PM
oh, a1 and a2 weren't stunned for a few rounds, far as i know. pietro had used a power to mark them both, thats what the green dot was, i was indicating their marks

"Minor: Battlemind's Demand, Augment 1
Mark enemies at A2 and B2" which i think ended when his next turn came around anyway?

Vesth
2012-09-02, 08:44 PM
Your mind blast had a hit/stun effect. A1 passed his save the previous round, and A2, just so.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-02, 09:04 PM
from what i read, any kind of movement AWAY from the thought guardian provokes an Opp. only way to avoid that is to stay same distance or get closer to the origin with each movement.

thats only when it is augmented of course, and i am out of power points until the fight is over and we can rest.

here is the new map
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/791/turn7.png

Vesth
2012-09-04, 03:44 AM
We're waiting for...tarsusc81, I think.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-04, 04:04 AM
yeah, i was refreshing all day to see if you guys were going to do anything for the labor-day. if anyone wonders, i spent all my PP first 3 turns, so no guardian token with the aura 3

tarsusc81
2012-09-04, 08:54 AM
Yeah, sorry . . . I'll post some time today. (When I have time to figure out what to do.) @Jack, what is the aura around Lelouch?

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-04, 05:48 PM
Antipathy gloves. Costs an extra square to move adjacent

Repulsion armor. ImmInt push when someone moves adjacent

Also make opp attack and shift 1 when someone charges me.

Vesth
2012-09-04, 08:42 PM
Ehh, tarsusc81, anyone with a blue dot is unconsious. Do you want to change your attack? There's only one fellow adjacent to you that's not unconsious.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-04, 08:58 PM
yeah, only E1, E2, and E4 are still conscious, and you are at D5, adjacent to E4

tarsusc81
2012-09-04, 11:45 PM
Sigh. Weren't we using semi-transparent to indicate unconscious a few turns ago?

Vampire Slam against E4, then. No move. I'll change in IC.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-04, 11:58 PM
sorry. i was using semi-transparent the first round because i had never really used roll20 before. then i found out there were 5 color dots that could be tacked on to enemies

so i was using red for bloodied and blue for unconscious but not dead.

if they are dead i remove them from the board

tarsusc81
2012-09-06, 02:01 PM
Guys, sorry if I'm the one holding things up. I figured that Lelouch's attack had finished off the remaining enemies, and so I was waiting to see if that was the case before doing anything. It didn't even occur to me that Vesth might be waiting for me to post. I should have posted that.

Vesth
2012-09-06, 06:59 PM
Ah, E2 is still alive, because Lelouch had a natural 1. E2 is the only survivor.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-07, 04:32 AM
yes, one enemy is left alive, and it is Pietro's turn to act...

tarsusc81
2012-09-07, 08:30 AM
Darn. And Jack had even noted the miss.

Well, Pietro's turn is now posted.

Vesth
2012-09-07, 09:52 AM
And you get....300 exp! No, don't look at me like that. Yes, I did get the number right. It's 300 exp. The fight was nothing, and you were not supposed to take any damage whatsoever. The fight was for flavor and story. The only reason why you're getting exp because of the trap, which was even dangerous unless you got a natural 1 :smalltongue:

But still, this is the fastest combat I'm ever DMed. Good job guys! :smallbiggrin:

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-07, 05:53 PM
yeah, really fast especially since it was 33 enemies (6x6, minus our three squares)
when did we start the fight? a week ago? 33 enemies down in a PbP in under a week is awesome.

Vesth
2012-09-13, 07:10 AM
For Lelouch:

You recognise the armor, and after a bit of brain pounding, you manage to dredge out where you've seen it before. During military training, you saw its picture in a book when learning about what exists in the world, and how to beat it. It looks very similar to a cross between a Fire Archon Blazesteel, and a Fire Archon Ash Disciple, an elemental being of fire, that can hurl fire, unleash pounding waves of heat, and engulf its enemies in a blinding cloud of cinders. It explodes in a burst of fiery embers when slain. But, unlike one, the one before you has nothing 'fire' about it....and it has legs, where a normal Fire Archon wouldn't bother with any.

Vesth
2012-09-15, 12:25 AM
What distraction is Lelouch offering?

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-15, 02:07 AM
I can't think of anything at the moment. I'll have to get back to you guys in a while. My grandmother went into the hospital today, and the doctors told us she doesnt want treatment and looks like this is her last weekend :smallfrown:

tarsusc81
2012-09-17, 08:26 AM
That's really rough. We'll stand by.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-20, 08:33 PM
Okay guys, I am back. Only problem is, I was looking over all my stuff. Short of jumping out, waving my arms, and making myself a target, there is nothing i can do to make a distraction...

i do have "send thoughts" telepathy ranged 20, and a decent bluff score. i could implant a thought?

tarsusc81
2012-09-20, 09:06 PM
Eh, I was just throwing it out there. I'm not sure if it's feasible. I'm actually inclined to just smash through a window of the church and start trying to save people, and take the risk. What do you think?

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-20, 09:56 PM
operation human shield it is.

you and Suzaku can help anyone still alive in the chapel escape

Vesth
2012-09-24, 06:04 PM
Why is it so quiet?

tarsusc81
2012-09-24, 10:54 PM
Procrastinating a bit to figure out what to do about my predicament. :smallbiggrin:

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-25, 02:01 AM
sorry, i was at a convention all weekend, if you were wanting me to act.

suzaku will mostly be acting on his own, but occasionally i can still send him telepathic commands as minor actions to move or make an attack when i action point.

infact, i could let you control suzaku if you wish. if you have too much with all those villagers though, its fine

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-25, 03:41 AM
well i think i just did well for an epic turn! :biggrin:
save my firends OR follow him? I DON'T DO "OR"! I will have my cake and eat it too! :amused:

Vesth
2012-09-25, 06:02 AM
Haha.

Is Pietro going for non-lethal too?

tarsusc81
2012-09-25, 08:40 AM
Whoops! Yep, he is.

Vesth
2012-09-25, 11:02 AM
I think you guys must have noticed by now that I'm making my rolls elsewhere. Do you mind? If you want, I can make the rolls on the thread instead. It doesn't matter to me either way.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-25, 01:48 PM
im okay with your rolls happening elsewhere. same as if you were rolling them behind the DM screen

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-25, 02:06 PM
person 8 can't move closer because Suzaku knocked them out

tarsusc81
2012-09-25, 08:18 PM
Just making sure: The ones with red circles around them are unconscious?

Whew, glad we got that magic barrier down Ö*I'm going to try to bust straight out the front door now! Maybe I can manage to save one or two of these villagers while I'm at it.

So none of the other people attack me? I spent a daily just to make sure they'd take damage when they hit me, so I could go about other business! :smallbiggrin:

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-26, 02:59 AM
3d12? was that a daily on the DOOR?!

edit: i assume it is my turn now? oh and correction. evil eye of the vistani, so also a charm power. amulet of seduction throws on another -2 to saving throws :P

which i guess he should have made saving throws at the end of his turn he just took when he burned me

-6 vistani, -2 tatoo, post the results here? because if you save on the vistani, i dont have CA on the attack i just made

Vesth
2012-09-26, 08:15 AM
person 8 can't move closer because Suzaku knocked them out

What do you mean? Why is he knocked out? :O
(Also, person 10 is at T15, not T14)

Oh yes, the roll + modifers = 5. He failed the save.

So none of the other people attack me? I spent a daily just to make sure they'd take damage when they hit me, so I could go about other business!

*checks thread* Ack. I forgot to mention this. U11 went forward to attack, got hit, got pushed backwards (I didn't think there was anywhere else for him to be pushed), and because the others saw it, they don't want to touch you now.

tarsusc81
2012-09-26, 01:16 PM
*checks thread* Ack. I forgot to mention this. U11 went forward to attack, got hit, got pushed backwards (I didn't think there was anywhere else for him to be pushed), and because the others saw it, they don't want to touch you now.

Sweet!

@Jack - Not a daily on the door, but an encounter. Huge doors can be tough!

tarsusc81
2012-09-26, 01:18 PM
. . . Did I really forget that the window is still a viable escape route?! (I was on my way to check the door when the magic barrier still blocked the windows . . .)

Oh well. Bashing down the front door is more heroic.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-26, 03:58 PM
. . . Did I really forget that the window is still a viable escape route?! Oh well. Bashing down the front door is more heroic.

Quoted for truth and badassery

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-26, 04:00 PM
What do you mean? Why is he knocked out? :O
(Also, person 10 is at T15, not T14)
Oh yes, the roll + modifers = 5. He failed the save against the vistani. he still needs to save vs the eye tatoo.

Look at your first map. Suzaku attacks the person right next to him, shifts 1, THEN attacks the person by the window. he got a double attack round because i spent an action point.

and dont forget your second save. the -2 from the tatoo is also save-ends at a -2

Map
http://i.imgur.com/HF19E.jpg

Suzaku:
Standard: Attack U18 [roll0] vs AC; [roll1] non-lethal
Move: shift 1 to U16, adjacent to 2 enemies
Free: Compelled attack on V15 [roll2] vs AC; [roll3] non-lethal

Shouldn't you edit that into the post where they are all slinking back towards the fire then?

Vesth
2012-09-27, 08:45 AM
I...forgot about the other roll :/

The other roll is 6. It's a fail.

---

New saves:
Vistani: 14 (passed)
Evil eye Tattoo: 4 (fail)

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-27, 10:53 AM
its not my turn at the moment, time for Pietro to shine, but i was just looking at something. loosen the chain seems to give my thrall Suzaku his own move and standard action during my turn, but it doesnt say i cant still command him to move OR RUN as a minor, and doesnt say that he stops moveing when I move.

if you disagree with how i am reading the rules of it, let me know, but im going to post his and my movement here, then copy them to IC during my turn.

Suzaku uses his standard to push person at T15 out the open window, he moves 5 runs 7 squares to R11 in the open doorway, moves 5 runs 7 to R6 when I move, moves 5 runs 7 to R1 as my minor action command.

Lelouch moves 6 so S-8

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-27, 09:00 PM
tarsusc81, just so its clear, this is happening after your action. so you run out of the church towards me, then Suzaku follows

Vesth
2012-09-28, 07:02 AM
Yeah, I think the running thing is ok, given that it is a daily power, and the power did use the word 'give'.

Also, this is the first group I've DMed that had no qualms at all about spending action points and using dailies :O

EDIT: Roll for tattoo: 16 (pass)

tarsusc81
2012-09-28, 08:39 AM
Well, darn. I never imagined the villain would run away. I think we assumed the wrong roles! (I have powers that restrict an enemy from getting away, but it's a little late now.)

All powers are melee or close . . . Running again will give a heavy penalty to my attacks . . . Looks like my only option is a standard move and then a hail mary shot with my crossbow at the edge of my range . . .

One important question before I take my turn: Do we typically track things like taking out a weapon as actions? (Or, the real question: Will I be able to spend a minor action to apply a consumable item to my weapon?)

Vesth
2012-09-28, 11:20 AM
Since drinking a potion is a minor action, I suppose yes, applying a consumable item to your weapon constitutes as a minor action too.

tarsusc81
2012-09-28, 01:28 PM
@Vesth - Sorry, I didn't communicate: I meant do I need to spend my minor action pulling my crossbow out? (And therefore wouldn't be able to spend it applying an item.)

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-28, 04:35 PM
yes, drawing a weapon is a minor action, unless you have quickdraw feat. do you still have your AP?

and DANG IT! I want the bad guy to stand still and quit running away!

the first thought guardian goes away at the end of my turn i just took, but i refluffed it that i swung into the first, wrapping the energy around my sword, and throwing it at the archon to create the second. btw, they do occupy the space like a creature if it matters

and i have no qualms about spending action points, because my character is built around doing so. especially when i hit level 24 :P

tarsusc81
2012-09-28, 07:03 PM
I know drawing a weapon is a minor according to the rules, but a lot of groups just ignore the need for drawing/stowing weapons at all. Couldn't hurt to try to get every benefit! ;) For expediency, I just assumed it does indeed need a minor. (Looks like I missed . . . I don't think even Heroic Effort is going to make up for a natural 8 with a penalty.)

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-28, 08:07 PM
no, you dont have a penalty. running gives a -5 to attacks, but only until the start of your next turn
nevermind, long range penalty, got it

im not sure if a 34 vs ac hits though with heroic effort

also nex time you show the map, i think you can cut out the church for now. just focus on where we are, then we'll come back to it. the map is getting too tiny all stretched out

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-28, 09:04 PM
woohoo. i make epic allies more epic :P

suzaku just dashed 20 squares i think, which is about 100 feet, then double-smacked the archon with a giant hammer

Vesth
2012-09-29, 06:46 AM
You know, that thing was supposed to escape. It was so close to the gate too :smallfrown:

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-29, 03:29 PM
are you sure hes dead? suzaku only hit him twice, not three times. he might have a sliver of HP left :P

he only took 65 damage that turn (lol) and you said he wasnt blooded til taking 87. or should he have been bloodied a turn earlier?

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-29, 04:20 PM
Lelouch rushes over to aide Suzaku

restore thrall gives 27hp, so hes back at full, and im bloodied, so Suzaku has +1 to saves. blind [roll0]

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-29, 05:13 PM
Okay, so the skill challenge, easy commoner fight, and this fight, we should be at 179900 XP each.

are you dividing by two between us, or three ways for suzaku? (not sure how class feature npc works for xp)

and do we have a moment to rest or do we have to jump back into battle? he said there was more to worry about.

reminder to me: check out the scepter

Vesth
2012-09-29, 07:28 PM
Because he moved, Suzuku had an attack of opportunity, which ended the Archon's life.

I'm not sure how thralls work either. I thought he leveled when you did, which was why I only divided it by 2. (Wouldn't it be funny if you thrall can level up before you do?)

Oh yes, you can rest. All enemies at the moment are dead.

For now, you can choose to proceed south (where the Archon was heading), or north (where one of the generals is....people would want to know if your mission is successful) or any other direction you care to wander off to.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-29, 08:30 PM
"You have more to worry about than a couple of villagers! Do you think we would aim so low? HAHAHAHAHA!"

thats why i wasnt sure if the fight was over and we had time to rest, or if we were off and running again.

house keeping
Inspiring word on myself at the end of the battle since we will be taking a short rest. Surge is 27, so i heal [roll0] and i was at 39, so current HP = 77 + another surge = 104
DM
then while i have a moment i want to pull out that scepter i made it out of the caverns with, and spend a few minutes examining it to determine what it is and what it does. [roll1] arcana

Vesth
2012-09-29, 11:01 PM
Lelouch
The scepter gives off a protective aura, and if you would to hazard a guess, it protects the wielder from magics that attempt to invade the mind.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-29, 11:10 PM
DM
Hmm, that brings up a couple questions for me. i use a ki focus as an implement, a sword for melee, and a shield. so how can i wield it? is it an exsisting or homebrewed magic item? and then if it is an implement, what would it be? staff? wand? rod?

Vesth
2012-09-30, 12:51 AM
JackOfAllBuilds
It can be considered an implement...of the staff variety (you can hold it one hand, if that helps). Note that it seems ornamental, and confers no bonus than it's magical effects (it's wasn't made for melee usage, but wizards and the like can treat it as an implement for spellcasting). It affects only the wielder, which makes him immmune to Domination and other mind control effects.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-30, 01:17 AM
I'll take another check to try and identify this scepter now that i know what it does, while i'm taking my short rest. [roll0] +23 arcana or +18 history.

and dang it, i dont have enough arms. sword+shield+scepter, unless i can transfer the enhancement somehow... :P I assume the mind shielding only applies while i am wielding it in my hand. oh well, it is still an awesome item.

Vesth
2012-09-30, 01:52 AM
You learn nothing new about it. Either this item was very well hidden for decades, or it is new...of which the latter is unlikely, since there are signs of age. And yes, you must hold it in your hand for it to work...and it is a passive ability, that's active 24/7 as long as you're holding it.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-09-30, 02:24 AM
thanks! i'll find a way around that yet :P i am on a quest for a magical item smith who can transfer the enchantment to my sword, haha. luckily i can use staffs, i just prefer to have a melee on hand incase. IC post time

tarsusc81
2012-09-30, 06:02 PM
I'm thinking it's time to look for an opportunity to rest for the day. I'm just about spent on dailies.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-01, 05:40 PM
is it my turn to post or the DM? i was waiting

Vesth
2012-10-02, 08:13 AM
I don't have anything planned to post until you guys do something :/

Anyway, check back the starting post. The list of generals might come in useful.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-02, 05:03 PM
oh by the way (might apply to some of the generals) i dont tell people that suzaku is a thrall, just that he is a sworn devotee...a knight in my name, which isnt far from the truth. and im not sure how obvious my undeath is... i know revenants are living & undead, but i was just playing it off that i cling tightly to life and am very tough to kill.

also i dont know how open Pietro is with his cursed affliction.

tarsusc81
2012-10-02, 09:51 PM
I haven't disappeared. I wanted to wait until I had the chance to read back over the information at the beginning of the thread - something that's a challenge right now, as I'll be busy the next few weeks preparing for and then going on a business trip. (Warning now in case I forget: I'll be out of town Oct. 21-25, and it's not unlikely that I won't find time to post during that time.)

I'll post soon, after I've brushed up.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-02, 10:44 PM
didnt think you had, i only posted a few hours ago

were you going to make a new IC post though tarsusc81?

Vesth
2012-10-06, 07:13 AM
Post is up :/

Anything that is undead or a thrall would give off some kind of magical signature. After all, it's how you can recognize a wizard by examining for signs of magic about him.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-06, 08:11 AM
yay, forums finally back up

by the way vseth, i think you misunderstood my IC post, i was carrying the 3 for the chapel out to the foothills with the other townsfolk we left unconscious and boud. and putting the scepter in multiple hands at once to speed up the process, not one by one

Vesth
2012-10-06, 09:43 AM
As soon as Lelouch places multiple hands on the sceptor at once, the effects on each villager seems to be diminished (i.e. the magical aura persists longer...and flicker more dangerously). Does he want to continue such a course of action?

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-06, 07:51 PM
:smalleek: no, he'll stop that and do them one by one. Want a few more checks? If so just add 23 to a couple d20 rolls for arcana

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-07, 04:05 AM
If we get any loot, I am totally hiring a band of clerics to come and perform raise dead/resurrect on these NPC's. :P Take THAT, dark and ominous campaign!

Vesth
2012-10-08, 04:48 AM
This silence is a little worrying...

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-08, 04:53 AM
he did say he was going to be busy alot, and eventually going on a trip, but the weekends usually tend to be slower. if you are waiting for me, im not sure what to say at this juncture. the villager was rather...brief

Vesth
2012-10-08, 09:39 AM
Ok, I expended what the villager said. Good luck with that. :smalltongue:

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-08, 08:05 PM
i could make a roll if you want, but i think its pretty easily known that there are 4 types of aquatic humanoids

Vesth
2012-10-09, 02:32 AM
Nah, you don't need a roll. After all, the words of one stressed and scared out of his life could have easily seen things that aren't what they are.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-09, 04:20 AM
Nah, you don't need a roll. After all, the words of one stressed and scared out of his life could have easily seen things that aren't what they are.

you evil, evil man

tarsusc81
2012-10-09, 03:49 PM
Are we gonna have to fight Cthulhu?

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-09, 04:01 PM
More likely his children if it is kuo-toa. Aboleths, ilithids, the lobster headed goddess Blibdoolpoolp and/or the eel demon lord of forbidden lore Dagon.

And the campaign stickers do say Cthulhu Dagon 2012

Vesth
2012-10-10, 04:04 AM
A new day, a new hamper, rested feet, refreshed limbs, recovered powers, new ways to try and kill the party....just kidding.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-10, 04:50 AM
potion of healing is next to useless for us. i doubt pietro would use any surge-spending potion. the recovery 50 hp one is WOW for me, my surge is only 27 :P

Vesth
2012-10-10, 05:06 AM
I know. I was trying to simulate what a small village would give you. The potion of recovery would be something akin to a national treasure, and potions of healing are what they can afford to give you. They wouldn't know that it wouldn't be useful - after all, to them, magical healing is magical healing.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-10, 05:44 AM
Well since i dont need them, im returning the lesser potions and gold to them :P
suggested use for the gold they were giving to us anyways: raise dead rituals.
I am thaking them earnestly for the other potions and gear, as i am sure i know the recovery potion is akin to local total wealth :P

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-11, 07:02 AM
do i have any way of knowing if the hawk can find Marcelle and deliver a message or if its just a stupid bird...? :-/

also not sure what to put IC, but writing a short missive addressed to Marcelle, saying the dracolich is slain, village was under attack by itself, defeated an archon, and going after fish people to the south.

Vesth
2012-10-11, 09:12 AM
Don't worry, you believe that the hawk is capable of delivering messages across long distances...:smallbiggrin:

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-15, 08:09 AM
finally new post, sorry for delay

Vesth
2012-10-17, 07:35 AM
Nature checks or common sense, whichever you want to roll :smallbiggrin:

tarsusc81
2012-10-17, 08:47 AM
Sorry for the lack of activity on my part. I'll post tonight.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-17, 11:02 AM
[roll0] +12 nature or +?? common sense :P
insight perhaps? (also +12)

Vesth
2012-10-17, 07:51 PM
Ok, tarc, we'll wait for you!

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-17, 10:45 PM
also im not sure if you want to change the post about seeing the hellish landscape. i wasnt trying to read its dead mind, i was looking for PHYSICAL clues, i.e. the health skill and perception skill

Vesth
2012-10-18, 12:37 AM
But, didn't you do an Arcana check?

(1d20)[11] +12 heal, +23 arcana, or +17 perception

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-18, 03:14 AM
yes, because he is a magical monster, not a natrual beast. i.e. for a fairy you would roll arcana not nature, being magical and form the feywild

Vesth
2012-10-18, 09:43 AM
Oh, ok. Edited accordingly :smallsmile:

Vesth
2012-10-19, 06:48 AM
Lelouch
Forests, especially one as lush as this, don't just 'open up', and leave a space that has no trees at all. Either there is something wrong with the soil that impedes only tree growth (as there are still leaves and grasses), or someone has tampered with this section. There are no stumps, so this part of the forest could have been magically supressed, or by some other unnatural method.

tarsusc81
2012-10-20, 09:47 PM
Okay, tomorrow is when I leave for my trip. Be back on Saturday. It's not outside the realm of possibility I could find a time to post this week, but I wouldn't count on it Ö

Vesth
2012-10-21, 09:58 AM
Have a good trip, tarc!

JackOfAllBuilds, do you want to wait for him to come back? We could do a review of the game so far, and stuff.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-21, 11:33 AM
im content waiting form him to get back before proceeding on.
if you want to do a recap of it all sometime this week though, thats fine

Vesth
2012-10-21, 06:57 PM
Well, as you know, this was meant to be a one-shot, but seeing as how you guys spent so much time on your characters, I...got a little carried away. It's going to last longer than a one-shot, that's for sure.

In the beginning, in the room, there were 2 exits. One of the piles held the scepter you now wield, one of the piles just held money (which can be rolled mutiple times to receive different amounts of coins and other things, and one of them hid a lever. The lever opened up another exit which had a dwarven golem for you to fight. If you had taken too long, the main entrance would have sealed off, forcing you to find the side exit.

Any problems with the skill challenge to escape? You had to pass regardless, so I made it that, rather than accumulating a fixed number of failed rolls resulted in failures, each failed roll resulted in damage.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-23, 02:31 AM
i knew there was something big and bad to fight if we found the secret door, just not that it was an exit and a golem, i thought it was a big bad evil in a can, like ooze from power rangers primal movie :P

i hate the three failures thing too. id maybe make it a number of failures per person, not as a group. the damage on a failure was interesting, though id play around with the amount of damage. but a skill challenge still needs some sort of win/lose threshold.

however, i dont like how skill challenges are usually run (how we did it), but it -has- to be done this way on a forum pbp.

the way i like to do it is just calling for skill checks when someone tries something from time to time during a roleplay non-combat session, and keeping track of wins/losses, not "roll a die, tell me what you do"

Vesth
2012-10-23, 03:26 AM
Ah, ok. I'm a bit confused by this though.

the way i like to do it is just calling for skill checks when someone tries something from time to time during a roleplay non-combat session, and keeping track of wins/losses, not "roll a die, tell me what you do"

Can you elaborate? :smalltongue:

And then, you guys escaped out of the exit, straight into a group of not-so-friendly villagers. Technically, I didn't homebrew this effect. It's a legit thing somewhere (I won't reveal where yet) although I did expand upon it. There was no way you could lose that fight (They literally cannot hit you at all and have 1 hp each). It was more for effect and story, rather than an actual fight. I was still debating to myself whether it counted towards a milestone, but meh. And then, you had your first real fight. This monster was meant to escape, by running to the gate. If it had survived one more turn, it would have activated a barrier that covered the entire town, laughed at you from the other side, and ran off. I had to rework the adventure when he died, due to a particulary speedy trick by Suzuku.

The slight Cthulhu shtick was due to a current fasination with H.P. Lovecraft stories, my bad. I didn't expect the arcana check and winged it :/

Anyway, after this...adventure, are you going to DM, JackOfAllBuilds? Although it's going to be rather long, it's not going to continue until level 30.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-23, 04:57 AM
Ah, ok. I'm a bit confused by this though.

Quote:
Can you elaborate? :smalltongue:

I was referring to when I host games in person (or I suppose if it were a video-chat virtual tabletop game). Instead of "okay, cue skills challenge. roll and tell me what you do, next, next, fail", during the course of the game outside of a combat encounter (while they are talking in character, describing their actions, roleplay) if they do anything you would call a check for to determine the result, you discreetly mark a sucess/failure on a scrap of paper. you follow the normal rules for complexity, just change the way the challenge is served up.

And then, you guys escaped out of the exit, straight into a group of not-so-friendly villagers. Technically, I didn't homebrew this effect. It's a legit thing somewhere (I won't reveal where yet) although I did expand upon it. There was no way you could lose that fight (They literally cannot hit you at all and have 1 hp each). It was more for effect and story, rather than an actual fight. I was still debating to myself whether it counted towards a milestone, but meh.
I figured they were complete pushovers, and might only hit us on a natural 20, still under our defense (treated as a normal hit then, instead of a "crit), thats why i decided to have fun and up the complexity, by trying to save the most possible :P

And then, you had your first real fight. This monster was meant to escape, by running to the gate. If it had survived one more turn, it would have activated a barrier that covered the entire town, laughed at you from the other side, and ran off. I had to rework the adventure when he died, due to a particulary speedy trick by Suzuku.
haha, always glad to throw a wrench into the DM's big plot-gears :smalltongue:
that'll teach you not to plan too far ahead, be ready to improvise, and ALWAYS have a Deus Ex Machina reason the bad guy escapes without getting caught.
I was particularly proud of finding that rules gap that enabled me to have my guy make 20-25 squares in a turn :smallbiggrin: (100-125 feet in under 6 seconds (half the speed of sprinter Usain Bolt, but then, hes not wearing plate armor)

The slight Cthulhu shtick was due to a current fasination with H.P. Lovecraft stories, my bad. I didn't expect the arcana check and winged it :/
Anyway, after this...adventure, are you going to DM, JackOfAllBuilds? Although it's going to be rather long, it's not going to continue until level 30.
well, i wasnt thinking about it at all, i like to run my games in person, but ill leave a tentative "maybe"

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-26, 02:24 AM
so, anything else to talk about while we're waiting?

Vesth
2012-10-26, 03:28 AM
Uhh, yes, there is a thing I really should mention >.>

I just received a letter. In my country, we have to serve compulsory military service for 2 years. For the first 3 to 5 months, we can't go back at all, and after that, only on the weekends.

My letter tells me that I have to go in March.

Now, while I think I can bring my phone, I don't think I can post much, and I have absolutely no idea whether or not there'll be an internet connection over. I'll try my best, but the worst case senario is that I'll disappear for 3 months starting from some day in March.

If I do disappear, do you mind kick starting your game for tarc? >.>

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-26, 03:35 AM
well we can get a fair bit done until march. Look how much weve gotten done so far. :smalltongue:

3-5 months of no game wouldn't be that bad if you can't get on.

and worst case, the campaign can go on haiatus while youre serving for the 2 years (confused: only have weekends off, or only have to serve on the weekends?)

Vesth
2012-10-26, 03:53 AM
Weekends off only, I'm afraid >.<

Well, sure, we can probably advance a fair bit when tarc comes back :smallsmile:

But I really don't like to have nothing going on for 2 years. I'm pretty sure if the both of you don't do something, I have the feeling when I come back, both of you will be gone >.<

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-10-26, 04:56 AM
nah, ive been playing in a different d20 game on this forum for close to a year, and loos like it will still go on for years, so im here for life. if you want to keep playing the game on the weekends while you're in service, im up for it

tarsusc81
2012-10-27, 10:30 PM
Back, and with the professional certification I was there to get. Woot! Alas, came back to a veritable plague zone in my house, so I'm likely to be running ragged this week taking care of wife and kids, but I don't expect to be unable to post.

That's heavy news, Vesth. I'm sure you're going to be far more concerned with other things than with a PbP game, but for my part, I won't be going anywhere. So long as I can rely on the forums' subscription notifications, I'll jump back in after any length of time. (And if I can't, as sometimes seems to be the case, remember that you should be able to shoot me an email through the forum system.)

Vesth
2012-10-27, 11:08 PM
And so the game continues!

Actually, tarc, I'm very concerned about PBP games. See, one of my principles is commitment, especially to games I DM personally. It always confuses me how DMs can just disappear from games without so much as a hint or warning, (or apology or explanation when they do come back), and I do pour effort into planning these games. Would be a real shame for the motivation to die down, especially after a few months.

You could say tabletop games are my love and hobby :smallbiggrin:

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-01, 12:20 PM
sorry about the delay, i was out of town for a couple days

Vesth
2012-11-01, 09:32 PM
...Lelouch, I just realized that you had Dark Reaping from a Dragon Magazine, when I did say this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13693906&postcount=666)...

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-02, 01:13 AM
dark reaping is the racial power of revenents, which are included in Heroes of Shadow, not just the dragon article.

saying no dark reaping is like saying no elven accuracy

Vesth
2012-11-02, 01:50 AM
Oh wait, nevermind. I misread the skill >.>

I thought that the power allowed you to instantly kill off one enemy within 5 spaces of you, my bad...

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-02, 02:15 AM
yeah no, when something within 5 of me hits 0, it is triggered (still choose on which death to activate), and on any attack before EoNT (mine) deals 1d8+con necrotic. so if i miss its wasted

Vesth
2012-11-02, 02:39 AM
Yeah, I realized that...

Btw, Lelouch, go go go!

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-02, 03:37 PM
i might have vastly misunderstood what you meant about the stones. if so let me know, as Lelouch is smart enough to get it right, even if I'm not :smalltongue:

Vesth
2012-11-03, 06:04 AM
Welp, you did, since the teleportation circle is actually long distance teleportation leading to somewhere far away (which you don't know how to activate), and the stones lead to somewhere nearby-ish, as long as there are enough stones. The two different stones are unrelated.

I take it you're activating the line of stones, rather than the circle...

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-03, 03:27 PM
Oh I thought they worked together as pieces of a greater whole. Since they're two seperated systems I'd have checked them seperately. How recently was the circle used, then how recently was the line used. I'd go with the fresher recently used one.

Vesth
2012-11-04, 12:05 AM
I take it that you activated the line of stones, since you don't know how to activate the circle of stones. You just know that they've been used very recently, but you can't pinpoint it any more accurate than that.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-04, 02:47 AM
works for me, as long as it moves the story forward, and im not running us off the rails on a wild goose chase

Vesth
2012-11-06, 04:36 AM
I'm going to have to wait until the 9th to post again, because I need a map, and I don't have time to go map-making until then. Apologies! I might post a few snippets until then.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-06, 09:36 AM
I'm fine without a map if you can describe the area in a bit of detail.

Also do you ever poach gaming art from the D&D books and adventures as inspiration or for setting the scene? "This jungle pyramid is what you can see."

Vesth
2012-11-07, 07:03 AM
Nah, I'm not comfortable to DMing without a map when it's important stuff, haha.

Surprisingly, I've never used gaming art from the D&D books and adventures...my adventures are all 100% me!

---

Snippet 1:
There's a fight coming up (that's actually a partial puzzle) that is completely optional.

Vesth
2012-11-09, 07:23 AM
To be fair, a map wasn't strictly needed for this, and I mistook the order of the rooms >.>

Vesth
2012-11-11, 11:20 PM
Hey tarc...the mirror is already broken...

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-12, 01:26 AM
I'm sure that is a little bit of a surprise :P 1 (maaaaybe 2) evil monologue per adventure is a rule i usually follow in my games, lol.

Vesth
2012-11-12, 04:47 AM
Surprisingly enough, the mirror was supposed to be broken, I just didn't expect you to break it immediately, haha.

Vesth
2012-11-13, 09:20 PM
You don't need to roll initative. Now, we wait for tarc!

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-13, 10:40 PM
okay. i like to sometime though because one of my powers is predicated on rolling initiative.

tarsusc81
2012-11-14, 07:52 AM
Hmm, not sure why I wasn't seeing the post where the mirror broke when I posted last time. Oh well.

Vesth
2012-11-14, 11:01 PM
Lelouch, it is, in fact, 8 squares to move to his last position, and you said 7, so....I moved you 7 spaces. Though it doesn't affect much.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-15, 12:07 AM
Oh damn I counted wrong. Suzaku would have been one square right of where he was. The map was too big and I couldn't line the numbers and letters up well. Same how I thought it was 7 squares not 8.
And I readied an encounter power for Suzaku. If he can't use it, I lose it :(
Readied = immediate interrupt for any action by spending a standard.
He'd move 5 and attack before/as guy is attacking

Vesth
2012-11-15, 02:08 AM
Indeed. But his last spot was 6 squares away from Suzuku, which is more than 5.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-15, 03:27 AM
well i only realized after i zoomed in alot (was posting from an iPhone) that suzaku was over 1 too many squares. he could have reached the guy coming out from the stones to the left from one square back, and hed be in range for the stone hes at now. *pulls my hair* eesh.
grr, next chance i get, im getting him a reach weapon :smallmad:

well does readying the encounter power but never getting to use it still expend it?

Vesth
2012-11-15, 06:34 AM
From this (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/6528/does-readying-an-encounter-or-daily-power-expend-it-automatically), it says it does not. So yeah, you didn't expend your encounter power.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-15, 04:51 PM
ah okay, and back to me now?

Vesth
2012-11-16, 12:18 AM
Yes it is, for both of you!

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-17, 12:57 AM
suzaku is at the bottom of my character summary on post 4 of this ooc thread
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13750638&postcount=4
That did his his ac of 37
he is down to 79 from 98

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-17, 10:48 PM
wait, it gives you Reach 2? that means you can hit adjacent square, then 2 quares beyond that, right? polearms are Reach (1) and they can attack an extra square, if you have Reach2 that should be out to 3 squares

tarsusc81
2012-11-17, 11:05 PM
Sorry, the wording isn't actually "Reach 2," it's "Your reach increases by one for this attack." So just one square beyond normal melee range.

tarsusc81
2012-11-18, 03:47 PM
If Lelouch is getting the pattern, he should say something, 'cause Pietro is not . . .

Vesth
2012-11-18, 06:34 PM
I don't think Lelouch is getting the pattern either, haha

tarsusc81
2012-11-18, 07:49 PM
Crap! I just don't know what to do then. The guy was going one stone at a time until he got to mine, then skipped one. And I don't have a clue what the red stones mean or why they only just now showed up . . .

By the way, do we not get to see the enemies' attack rolls? I've got an awful lot of circumstantial stuff to keep track of, which I can't imagine is factored in. (For instance, I have a +1 AC bonus against ranged weapon attacks and also a bonus against opportunity attacks, though I know neither one would have applied in this instance.)

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-18, 08:18 PM
Yeah, DM spoilered attacks would be nice for battles. Other times its fine to keep them hidden and surprise us, but I also have a shielding interrupt

If he is dominated, does he stop teleporting? And I have a power to make him believe what I say. Can we get an ally this way? Huh huh? Can we keep him?
(Look at the Lelouch printout link on page 1, Faulty Memory)

Vesth
2012-11-18, 08:34 PM
Well, if you want I can just roll here. It's just that, usually, I check against your AC for you so you don't have to keep checking :/

...and the map is messing up on me. I'll come back with that soon.

Here's the attack:
Ranged 20; +26 vs. AC; 2d8 + 8 necrotic damage, or
4d8 + 8 necrotic damage if the target is bloodied.

Can a character do a readied attack and an opportunity attack in the same turn?

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-18, 09:14 PM
from what i am reading, you can ise Imm and Opp on the same turn, just the normal limitations of 1/r and 1/t for each
Also, teleporting movement specifically says it triggers no oppritunity actions, but mentions nothing of immediate actions, so i believe those still work.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-18, 09:26 PM
Well, if you want I can just roll here. It's just that, usually, I check against your AC for you so you don't have to keep checking :/
But we have a bunch of powers that can make him miss if he does hit us by a certain margin (like the wizards Shield)

Vesth
2012-11-18, 09:50 PM
Huh, I'll just roll here in the future then!

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-18, 09:52 PM
Thank you :)
Did he attack at all when he appeared? pietro's attack didnt daze or stun him, he was just in melee

Vesth
2012-11-18, 10:20 PM
He didn't attack. He just appeared, got hit, and disappeared.

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-18, 11:44 PM
So i never got an answer. if i hit him with a dominate (save ends -6)
"The Dominated canít take actions. Instead, the dominator chooses a single action for the target to take on the targets turn: a standard, a move, a minor, or a free action. The only powers and other game features that the dominator can make use of are ones that can be used at-will, such as at-will powers."So it is essentially stunned without using the keyword. would that stop the teleporting?
Then i want to use a power, Faulty Memory
Make a bluff check with a +5 vs the targets Insight check (+5 unfriendly/+10 hostile) If the check succeeds, the target doubts its memory and believes your version of eventsto get information from him

edit: and i just had to redo the math on suzaku's attack. i forgot to include expertise feat bonus to attack, so an additional +3

Vesth
2012-11-19, 06:27 AM
The problem here is, how would those two skills work on a dominated enemy already? I'm unomfortable giving more information out, but you should already have guessed by the villagers and how the staff that 'can remove dominated effects' affect them. Plus he swallowed the key.

Suzaku's charge speed is 6, right?

JackOfAllBuilds
2012-11-19, 06:54 AM
wait what? i didnt understand what you said. words out of place for sentence structure. he's already dominated??

Also Lelouch may know something, but i can be pretty oblivious and forgetful :P

And no, his speed if 5, but i counted, and thats enough to let him charge any square adjacent to the stones from -H8