PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Fortress in D&D 3.5 (WIP)

shatterspike1
2012-08-18, 05:42 PM
And by "Work in Progress" I mean "In the conceptual stage". Sorry to draw you in like that.

For those who don't know, Dwarf Fortress is an awesome but hilariously difficult game you can google and download for free by Tarn Adams. I won't bother describing it more here, since there's already been so much written on it.

The general idea is to start a D&D campaign in the equivalent of Fortress mode, complete with a world map and the players choosing where to place their settlement. Instead of controlling an individual dwarf, players would control the dwarves that populate their fortress interchangeably. A list would be needed to keep track of these dwarves.

When I say "dwarf", I'm not talking the lawful good D&D dwarves. I'm talking

+2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Wis, -2 Cha: Dwarves are hardy and clever, but who really thinks it's a good idea to build an orbital magma cannon? Really?
No preferred alignment
Favored Class: Any.

about these guys.

The general idea here would be to allow the players to survey various sites to settle, then roll on a table for minerals, nearby civilizations, and wildlife. As a specific idea, well, I'm not there yet.

As the year progressed, events (like invasions) would happen.

I'm thinking of banning all casting classes, at least in fortress mode. At some point, the players could switch to a more traditional D&D campaign as dwarves setting off from said fortress.

This is the general idea. Thoughts?

Silverbit
2012-08-18, 06:00 PM
First: You converted !!DF!!* to D&D?!? Well done to you! :smallbiggrin:
Second: Please tell me that there is a random events table, and that it includes Elephants*, Carp* and Noble* infestations.
Third: Dwarfy classes could include: Barbarian (RAAAGGGE!) Fighter (Militia), Artificer (Legendary Craftsdwarf), Hexblade (What other class could Sankis* be, eh?(Apart from Warlock, I suppose)) and Monk (Legendary Wrestler).
Fourth: Good luck. Watch out for HFS!
(*= You need to be fully immersed in DF to understand these references)

Zale
2012-08-18, 06:09 PM
An Int BONUS?

I've seen them walk off waterfalls.

You'll need a nice randomized table for Clowns.

Silverbit
2012-08-18, 06:10 PM
An Int BONUS?

May I sig this :D.
Thank you!

Zale
2012-08-18, 06:17 PM
May I sig this :D.

Of course.

Lord Tyger
2012-08-18, 06:36 PM
You'll want a couple random tables- one for Clowns and HFS, and at least one other for Artifacts. Could produce some fun nonsensical gather quests. "What? That crazy dwarf who locked himself in the glass furnace wants Mermaid Bone? We're in the middle of a desert!"

Mithril Leaf
2012-08-18, 06:52 PM
I think the opposite would also be an admirable goal :smallwink:

Zale
2012-08-18, 07:01 PM
*Shudder* Hopefully we can avoid the mermaid farms. Those things wig me out.

There's always Cats to kill though.

Glimbur
2012-08-18, 07:37 PM
An Int BONUS?

You'll need a nice randomized table for Clowns.

Int lets you make deathtraps, Wis tells you that you should include an 'off' lever.

That said, why are you using 3.5 for this? It does (sort of) model some people being incredibly badass and some people not, but it has poor support for brewing, farming, crafting, PC use of traps, and many other dwarven activities.

Menteith
2012-08-18, 07:38 PM
Can we have a template for the hideous, malformed creatures that emerge from Dwarven Daycare (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91093.0)? (It's like regular childcare, except with more dogs, and less care!)

shatterspike1
2012-08-18, 10:31 PM
Int lets you make deathtraps, Wis tells you that you should include an 'off' lever.

That said, why are you using 3.5 for this? It does (sort of) model some people being incredibly badass and some people not, but it has poor support for brewing, farming, crafting, PC use of traps, and many other dwarven activities.

Partially because it's a system everyone in my group is familiar with, and partially because I figure I can include custom rules for that sort of thing.

Zargodia
2012-08-19, 05:10 AM
An Int BONUS?

This just made my day

i really gotta start playing DF again