PDA

View Full Version : D&D Fun without Ruining It.

Bulix
2012-08-18, 07:27 PM
Let's all face it, D&D can be really really funny. PCs failing terribly or doing the impossible. Now these are lucky moments, you have to count on the dice to get them.
Now, the other type is the one where people do funny and especially unexpected stuff and it is hilarious. Yet they all lead to people not taking the game seriously and losing the sense of the role-playing which is so important in D&D.
I ask to all DMs and PCs out there, how do you get the fun and memorable moments without people ruining it?

Thanks. :smallsmile:

Dark Elf Bard
2012-08-18, 07:31 PM
It only happens if you're not trying really hard to do it.

It's very unexpected and spontaneous.

If you want it, don't try to get it.

Gamer Girl
2012-08-18, 11:22 PM
Let's all face it, D&D can be really really funny. PCs failing terribly or doing the impossible. Now these are lucky moments, you have to count on the dice to get them.
Now, the other type is the one where people do funny and especially unexpected stuff and it is hilarious. Yet they all lead to people not taking the game seriously and losing the sense of the role-playing which is so important in D&D.
I ask to all DMs and PCs out there, how do you get the fun and memorable moments without people ruining it?

Thanks. :smallsmile:

Type One: Just use more dice. And have more chances of failure. Dump all the lame 3X safety rules.

Type Two: Have good players. You can have tons of fun inside the game, without ruining it.

As a DM I will often add the wild, crazy and funny stuff into the game. so then even a problem player can't go too far and ruin things.

Salanmander
2012-08-19, 12:13 AM
If you haven't, I recommend reading some of Pratchett's Discworld books. They're great examples of how something can be genre-aware and break the fourth wall without lessening the sense that the characters are real people with real emotions that matter.

Eugenides
2012-08-19, 12:55 AM
Well, I'm still fairly new to DMing, but I'm finding that one of the best ways to do this is to encourage creativity, and try to avoid saying "No, there's no rule for that."

If you just sort of fudge DC's in your head and then let the PC's try things, and they KNOW you'll let them do it, they tend to limit themselves to things that still make sense in the world, if you have a good group.