PDA

View Full Version : The Power Hunter [3.5] (PEACH!)

rockdeworld
2012-08-18, 08:44 PM
For the record, this is based on Megaman =)

First things first, a new template:
Half-Robot template

For whatever reason, you're part robot. Maybe you've transitioned from being a brain-in-a-jar, maybe some accident took away part of your body, or maybe you were just made that way. In any case, people look at you and wonder whether there's skin beneath that armor.

Creating A Half-Robot
"Half-robot" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A half-robot uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type
The creature’s type changes to construct, however it retains the traits of the base creature, except as follows:
* A half-robot cannot heal damage naturally.
* Half-robots can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs. Damage dealt to a half-robot can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and a half-robot is vulnerable to a harm spell.
* A half-robot responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. A half-robot with 0 hit points is disabled, just like a living creature. He can only take a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. When his hit points are less than 0 and greater than -10, a half-robot is inert. He is unconscious and helpless, and he cannot perform any actions. However, an inert half-robot does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to him, as with a living creature that is stable.
* Does not need to sleep, but must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells.

Do not recalculate Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves. Size is unchanged.

Armor Class
Natural armor improves by +2 (this stacks with any natural armor bonus the base creature has).

Abilities
Change from the base creature as follows: Str +2, Cha -2.

Skills
Half-robots have a -8 racial penalty on Swim checks. Otherwise same as the base creature.

Level Adjustment
+0.

And now the main event!

Power Hunter

https://forums.playfire.com/_proxy/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimg120.imageshack.us%2Fimg120%2F 4918%2Fmmxbl7.jpg&hmac=ac35e6a720eeaf32024e08ba0b800375

Rangers believe a warrior should learn his enemy's weak points, then attack them. Power Hunters, on the other hand, understand that there's always a bigger fish, and by copying that guy's power, you can curb stomp the other guy.

Power Hunters have mastered the art of changing their bodies to specialize against specific opponents. Thanks to the technological genius of their makers, Power Hunters are able to tap into the phlebotinum running through their bodies and copycat their opponents' abilities to gain a tactical advantage. Common names include Smeargle, Megaman, and You Copying Bastard!

Oh, and they probably only exist in a steampunk or otherwise high-technology setting, but let's not be picky.

Alignment: Any
Races: Any construct (warforged, etc.)
Starting Gold: 6d6x10 gp (210 gold)
Starting Age: As Fighter

Hit Die: d10

Class Skills: The Power Hunter's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skills/Level: 4 + Intelligence Bonus

Power Hunter
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Extract Attack, Assume model, 2 Stored models
2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|3 Stored models
3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Extract Armor, 5 Stored models
4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Multiple Assumption (2 abilities), 6 Stored models
5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Extract Size, 8 Stored models
6th|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+2|9 Stored models
7th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+2|Extract Speed, 11 Stored models
8th|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+2|Multiple Assumption (3 abilities), 12 Stored models
9th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+3|Extract Special Quality, 14 Stored models
10th|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+3|15 Stored models
11th|
+11|
+7|
+7|
+3|Extract Spells, 17 Stored models[/table]

All of the following are Class Features of the Power Hunter class:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Power Hunters are proficient with all Simple Weapons. Power Hunters are proficient with Light, Medium, and Heavy Armor and with Shields. They are also proficient with all natural attacks (claw, bite, and so forth) and weapons they assume as models.

Extract Attack (Ex): To use this ability, a Power Hunter must deal damage to an opponent, and that opponent must be reduced to 0 hit points. A Power Hunter can then choose one of his opponents attacks or special attacks to copy (this does not include spells or spell-like abilities). The Power Hunter can choose any weapon or attack that appears in the creature's Attack or Special Attacks entry, even if it's a weapon (for example: a Hag's claw, a Chaos Beast's Corporeal Instability, or A Balor's +1 Vorpal Longsword), and store it as a model for future use. A Power Hunter can only extract abilities from creatures with CR equal to his ECL+2.

If a regular attack or weapon, the Power Hunter uses the creature's statistics for the attack (eg. a Hag's claw deals 1d6+Str damage), but for every category of size difference between the creature and the Power Hunter, the Power Hunter suffers a -2 penalty to hit with that weapon. If a special attack, the Power Hunter uses the description in the creature's monster manual entry.

At level 1, the Power Hunter can store 2 models for future use in his robotic memory. If he extracts another, he must erase one he already has, which cannot then be used unless the Power Hunter extracts the ability again. A Power Hunter can store additional models per level as noted on the table: Power Hunter.

Assume model (Ex): With a standard action, a Power Hunter can switch between his natural form and a stored model.

If a weapon, the model appears on the same relative body part for the Power Hunter as it did on the monster it was extracted from (mouth for a bite attack, hand for a sword, etc.). Models of supernatural or spell-like abilities are also supernatural or spell-like abilities.

A sundered or otherwise destroyed model remains so until the Power Hunter switches to his natural form or another model, and then is repaired before the next time it is used.

At level 6, the time required to switch is reduced to a move action. At level 11, it is reduced to a swift again.

Extract Armor Class (Ex): At level 3, a Power Hunter can extract his opponent's natural armor bonus and store it as a model. The requirements are the same as Extract Attack.

Extract Size (Ex): At level 5, a Power Hunter can extract his opponent's size, space, and reach, and store them as a model. The requirements are the same as Extract Attack.

Extract Speed (Ex): At level 7, a Power Hunter can extract one of his opponent's modes of movement and store it as a model. The requirements are the same as Extract Attack.

Extract Special Quality (Ex): At level 9, a Power Hunter can extract one of his opponent's special qualities and store it as a model. The requirements are the same as Extract Attack.

Extract Spells (Ex): At level 11, the Power Hunter has learned how to turn phlebotinum into magic, and can extract one of his opponents spell-like abilities and store it as a model. If the ability is usable 3/day or less in the creature description, it can only be used 3/day, no matter how many times the Power Hunter assumes the model.

---

And that's it! It only has 11 class levels, because I couldn't think of any other abilities to add after that, except at level 16 switching as a free action. Of course, that needn't stop the class from continuing with the same pattern.

The question I'd like answered is: would you want to play as this class?

PEACH!

Uncle Pine
2012-08-19, 06:10 AM
I don't have much time right now and I've only skimmed the class, so I'll only talk about the template :)
So, why change the creature type to Construct? Wouldn't it fit better the Living Construct type with the appropriate Augmented sub-type?

Posted from Giantitp.com App for Android

Doorhandle
2012-08-19, 06:19 AM
Is this a prestige class? Because it only has 11 levels.

also with

Extract Spells (Ex): At level 11, the Power Hunter has learned how to turn phlebotinum into magic, and can extract one of his opponents spell-like abilities and store it as a model. If the ability is usable 3/day or less in the creature description, it can only be used 3/day, no matter how many times the Power Hunter assumes the model.

Wouldn't make more sense to limit the maximum amount of spell-likes you can learn, rather than the minimum?

By RAW, a Power-hunter of appropriate level can steal the wish spell-like ablity from a Pit-lord, and use it 3/day instead of 1/year, because "If the ability is usable 3/day or less in the creature description, it can only be used 3/day, no matter how many times the Power Hunter assumes the model."

rockdeworld
2012-08-19, 09:45 AM
@Uncle Pine: I was looking for a template to apply to other races so that people could play as them. When I read Living Construct, I thought it was a race and not a template.

Is this a prestige class? Because it only has 11 levels.

Wouldn't make more sense to limit the maximum amount of spell-likes you can learn, rather than the minimum?

By RAW, a Power-hunter of appropriate level can steal the wish spell-like ablity from a Pit-lord, and use it 3/day instead of 1/year, because "If the ability is usable 3/day or less in the creature description, it can only be used 3/day, no matter how many times the Power Hunter assumes the model."
I only play Core, or Frank&K, games and have never seen a Pit Lord. But if you're going to go non-core, aren't you more worried he can steal the Manipulate Form ability of a Sarrukh and go bonkers? At level 11, he can also steal the Grant Wishes ability of an Efreeti, and I think that's okay, because it's level 11.

As for the ability itself, I'm not sure how to phrase that better. I basically mean:
Steal At Will SLA - use it At Will
Steal 3/day SLA - use it 3/day
Steal 1/day SLA - use it 3/day

I would have made it so that 1/day's are usable only 1/day, and so on, but I didn't know how to phrase it.

Also, this is not a prestige class. If there were 9 more levels, they'd be more of the same with no new abilities.

Volthawk
2012-08-19, 09:54 AM
I only play Core, or Frank&K, games and have never seen a Pit Lord. But if you're going to go non-core, aren't you more worried he can steal the Manipulate Form ability of a Sarrukh and go bonkers? At level 11, he can also steal the Grant Wishes ability of an Efreeti, and I think that's okay, because it's level 11.

I think he means the Pit Fiend (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/devil.htm#pitFiend), which is core:

Spell-Like Abilities
At will—blasphemy (DC 25), create undead, fireball (DC 21), greater dispel magic, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), invisibility, magic circle against good, mass hold monster (DC 27), persistent image (DC 23), power word stun, unholy aura (DC 26); 1/day—meteor swarm (DC 27). Caster level 18th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Once per year a pit fiend can use wish as the spell (caster level 20th).

Also, wishes are alright to have 3/day at level 11? Seriously? :smallconfused:

rockdeworld
2012-08-19, 10:51 AM
I think he means the Pit Fiend (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/devil.htm#pitFiend), which is core.

Also, wishes are alright to have 3/day at level 11? Seriously? :smallconfused:
Aha. In that case, you have to be level 18 to extract the ability (because of the CR+2 limit), and in any case, you'd have to damage the Pit Fiend, and then have someone kill him, which seems to me to be impossible for a low-level character or low-level adventuring party.

And btw, Wizards already get wishes 3/day at level 11: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/planarBinding.htm

Vadskye
2012-08-19, 03:31 PM
Armor Class
Natural armor improves by +2 (this stacks with any natural armor bonus the base creature has).

Abilities

This is not an LA +0 template. Is there any reason why basically every character (with the exception of sorcerers) wouldn't want to be a half-robot?

Also, the class is way too good. A hydra's attacks are treated as a single attack. A mere troglodyte has a big natural AC, and it's trivial to find an AC that would make you basically invulnerable while using full plate and a shield. All day flight is not a level 7 appropriate ability. By level 9, the game should be over, because the power hunter should take special abilities like regeneration and combine them with "immunity to X" and become invincible - or an unholy number of other cheesy nonsense. By level 11... yeah.

Generic monster abilities are not meant for PCs. Just don't do it. it's a trap. This class could get away with defining a specific subset of monster abilities that the power hunter can take. For inspiration there, I'd advise looking at the Pathfinder versions (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/beastShape.html) of Polymorph spells.

And btw, Wizards already get wishes 3/day at level 11: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/planarBinding.htm
Not with a sane DM, they don't. Issues like that are what house rules are supposed to fix, not encourage.

wayfare
2012-08-19, 06:58 PM
I see what you are going for here, and i like the idea. Basically, limited polymorph as the concept for a class.

My Suggestions would be to modify what you can absorb and when. Think of adding stuff like:

Absorb (Ex) Ability
Absorb(Sp) Ability
Absorb (Su) Ability
Absorb Feat
Mimic Alignment
Absorb Defenses (for DR, ER, and SR)

To replace Absorb Special Quality. Spacing these out should get you to level 20.

The Problem with the class is that it seems to have to interact with other entities to get its powers, and is then limited to a certain number of models that are presumably swapped out as you fight more things. This makes it versatile, but it needs some special thing to differentiate it from other classes.

The easiest thing that comes to mind is a Blaster Cannon. its a normal weapon that you can attack with multiple times per round and it inflicts some nice number of damage that ramps up as you level up. (Maybe 2d4 to 2d12). If you lose a memorized Model, its damage doubles for a round.

As always, these are just suggestions. You are off to a good start here, but the class can certainly be filled out to level 20.

--Wayfare

Edit: one thing I think you should note is the existence of the living construct race. Also, if you want to keep a racial prerequisite, you should make this a prestige class -- full classes are not that limited, unless this is for a specific game.

Also, I think you are going to get into sticky situations when absorbing Armor. My suggestion would be to have the armor absorbed replace your own. This is especially easy for a living construct.

rockdeworld
2012-08-19, 10:10 PM
Is there any reason why basically every character (with the exception of sorcerers) wouldn't want to be a half-robot?
Good question, and one that I was wondering about. I had thought it was balanced out by a lack of natural healing and ability to swim, but maybe those aren't enough. I don't mind dropping the NA and stat-bonus, since the idea is just to create a template that allows people to enter this class.

Also, thanks wayfare, those are some really good suggestions! I especially like the idea of a blaster cannon, since it goes with the picture :smallbiggrin:

And it's true base classes should be more open than just to constructs. I had hoped offering a template that makes one a construct would fix that, but was I mistaken?

wayfare
2012-08-19, 11:30 PM
Good question, and one that I was wondering about. I had thought it was balanced out by a lack of natural healing and ability to swim, but maybe those aren't enough. I don't mind dropping the NA and stat-bonus, since the idea is just to create a template that allows people to enter this class.

Also, thanks wayfare, those are some really good suggestions! I especially like the idea of a blaster cannon, since it goes with the picture :smallbiggrin:

And it's true base classes should be more open than just to constructs. I had hoped offering a template that makes one a construct would fix that, but was I mistaken?

It might be easier to include a construct clause as a level 1 ability, or rip from the self-forged and have the character become slowly more construct-y as they take levels.

Milo v3
2012-08-20, 01:33 AM
First things first, a new template:
Half-Robot template

For whatever reason, you're part robot. Maybe you've transitioned from being a brain-in-a-jar, maybe some accident took away part of your body, or maybe you were just made that way. In any case, people look at you and wonder whether there's skin beneath that armor.

Creating A Half-Robot
"Half-robot" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A half-robot uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type
The creature’s type changes to construct, however it retains the traits of the base creature, except as follows:
* A half-robot cannot heal damage naturally.
* Half-robots can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs. Damage dealt to a half-robot can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and a half-robot is vulnerable to a harm spell.
* A half-robot responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. A half-robot with 0 hit points is disabled, just like a living creature. He can only take a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. When his hit points are less than 0 and greater than -10, a half-robot is inert. He is unconscious and helpless, and he cannot perform any actions. However, an inert half-robot does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to him, as with a living creature that is stable.
* Does not need to sleep, but must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells.

Do not recalculate Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves. Size is unchanged.

Armor Class

Abilities

Skills
Half-robots have a -8 racial penalty on Swim checks. Otherwise same as the base creature.

Level Adjustment
+0.
This is definitely not LA +0. Especially since, it has immunity to basically everything and gains extra HP per size. Also it would be easier if you just changed its type to Construct (Living Construct), rather than construct with changes as that is designed for constructs as players.

Power Hunter

Rangers believe a warrior should learn his enemy's weak points, then attack them. Power Hunters, on the other hand, understand that there's always a bigger fish, and by copying that guy's power, you can curb stomp the other guy.
Wait so they kill the strong people so they can kill weak people...

Alignment: Any
Races: Any construct (warforged, etc.)
Starting Gold: 6d6x10 gp (210 gold)
Starting Age: As Fighter
This should probably be a Prestige class if it has a restriction on races.

Hit Die: d10

Class Skills: The Power Hunter's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skills/Level: 4 + Intelligence Bonus

That is a large amount of skills for some one with only 4 + Int Bonus points per level.

Power Hunter
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|[center]+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Extract Attack, Assume model, 2 Stored models
2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|3 Stored models
3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Extract Armor, 5 Stored models
4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Multiple Assumption (2 abilities), 6 Stored models
5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Extract Size, 8 Stored models
6th|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+2|9 Stored models
7th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+2|Extract Speed, 11 Stored models
8th|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+2|Multiple Assumption (3 abilities), 12 Stored models
9th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+3|Extract Special Quality, 14 Stored models
10th|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+3|15 Stored models
11th|
+11|
+7|
+7|
+3|Extract Spells, 17 Stored models[/table]

No class should have 11 levels. PrC's have 5, 10, or 20. Base Classes have 20. I suggest you fix this.

Extract Attack (Ex): To use this ability, a Power Hunter must deal damage to an opponent, and that opponent must be reduced to 0 hit points. A Power Hunter can then choose one of his opponents attacks or special attacks to copy (this does not include spells or spell-like abilities). The Power Hunter can choose any weapon or attack that appears in the creature's Attack or Special Attacks entry, even if it's a weapon (for example: a Hag's claw, a Chaos Beast's Corporeal Instability, or A Balor's +1 Vorpal Longsword), and store it as a model for future use. A Power Hunter can only extract abilities from creatures with CR equal to his ECL+2.

If a regular attack or weapon, the Power Hunter uses the creature's statistics for the attack (eg. a Hag's claw deals 1d6+Str damage), but for every category of size difference between the creature and the Power Hunter, the Power Hunter suffers a -2 penalty to hit with that weapon. If a special attack, the Power Hunter uses the description in the creature's monster manual entry.

At level 1, the Power Hunter can store 2 models for future use in his robotic memory. If he extracts another, he must erase one he already has, which cannot then be used unless the Power Hunter extracts the ability again. A Power Hunter can store additional models per level as noted on the table: Power Hunter.
This ability is too abusable. At level one a Power Hunter could have Earth Mastery and make everyone around them insane, deal wisdom damage and destroy metals with but a touch, be able to read minds and cause any who read their minds to go mad, deal energy drain with every slam attack, cause any creature killed by you to be a Wight under your command and regain 2 HP each turn as long as you touch air, engulf creatures within yourself and melt them with acid, force creatures to travel through time and make every creature you kill arise as a shadow, turn any creature you bite to stone and drain strength, cause immense fear across 300 ft to basically all creatures and summon demons, paralyze people with a touch then turn them into heads with wings with a kiss.

That was just with SRD. This is too abusable.

Extract Armor Class (Ex): At level 3, a Power Hunter can extract his opponent's natural armor bonus and store it as a model. The requirements are the same as Extract Attack.
+12 Natural Armour at level three...

Extract Size (Ex): At level 5, a Power Hunter can extract his opponent's size, space, and reach, and store them as a model. The requirements are the same as Extract Attack.
Gargantuan at level 5....

Extract Speed (Ex): At level 7, a Power Hunter can extract one of his opponent's modes of movement and store it as a model. The requirements are the same as Extract Attack.
60 ft., fly 150 ft. , swim 60 ft. at level 7...

Extract Special Quality (Ex): At level 9, a Power Hunter can extract one of his opponent's special qualities and store it as a model. The requirements are the same as Extract Attack.
Same problems as Extract Attack. For gods sake this lets you get immunity to magic at 9th level. That is just wrong.

Wish 1/Month at 11th level. I don't need to say more.

The question I'd like answered is: would you want to play as this class?
Who wouldn't. It is tier 0.1, as in more abusable and powerful than wizards. It makes you effectively immortal.