PDA

View Full Version : New Necromancer build - PEACH

Red.Tide
2012-08-18, 10:23 PM
I should preface this by saying that I have never played D&D or any tabletop RPG. Then why am I attempting to make a build? Good question. OOTS and other comics have gotten me into the idea of D&D, even though I've never played myself. I do read about the rules, though. I was reading about how the Dread Necromancer is, in most ways, a worse necromancer than a Cleric or a Wizard. An idea randomly popped into my head yesterday about a new class that combines some aspects of Wizards and Clerics, while focusing on Necromancy and maintaining/buffing an undead army.

Here is the idea I had in mind for my Necromancer:
A young wizard apprentice who became obsessed with necromancy and the undead, to the point where he studied cleric materials in order to learn more about rebuking, etc.
He is obsessed to the point where he has memorized necromancy spells and spells that can buff his undead minions (but these memorized spells can only be cast on him and his minions, not other creatures/party members).
However, he didn't completely neglect his other studies, so he still has a spellbook, and can still prepare nonrelated wizard spells. However, he has forsaken summoning and calling spells entirely, prefering to use undead minions rather than outsiders.
Also, his interest in the dichotomy of life and death is such that he has limited skill with healing spells (more so than a wizard, but less so than a cleric). He can learn nearly all the Healing(Conjuration) spells, but mostly at the level that Druids learn them, not Clerics.

Also, this class is mainly based off of the standard d20 material, as that's what is available online to me. :P

The Necromancer (I haven't come up with a more specific name)

Alignment: any nongood
Class Skills: Don't know enough about skills, probably some Wizard and some Dread Necromancer class skills
Skill points/Hit Die/BAB/Saves/Proficiencies: As Wizard

Spells per day: As generalist Wizard (with certain additions; see below)

Spellcasting

Spells
A Necromancer casts spells from two separate lists: Necromancer memorizable spells, and Necromancer spellbook spells. A Necromancer must choose and prepare his spells ahead of time (see below)

To learn, prepare or cast a spell, a Necromancer must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10+ the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Necromancer's spell is 10 + the spell level + his Int modifier.

A Necromancer automatically learns and memorizes any spell on the Necromancer memorizable spell list of a spell level he can cast. These spells are prepared without a spellbook, as if the Spell Mastery feat applied to them (mechanically, but obviously not in-universe, this is similar to a Cleric). All of the Necromancer's regular spells per day must be prepared from memory (spells that are memorized either because they are on the memorizable spell list, or because they are on the spellbook spell list, and the Spell Mastery feat was applied to them). The exception to this rule is 0-level spells, which can be prepared from memory or the Necromancer's spellbook as desired.

For each spell level (except 0) that the Necromancer can cast, he can prepare an additional spell per day (of that level or lower, like any spell slot). This spell must be from his spellbook, not from memory.

A Necromancer receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Intelligence score (as Wizard). These bonus spells can be prepared from memory or the spellbook as desired.

A Necromancer may know any number of spells from the Necromancer spellbook spell list, and automatically knows all level-appropriate spells from the Necromancer memorizable spell list. He must choose and prepare his spells ahead of time by getting a good night's sleep and spending 45 minutes meditating (for memorized/Spell Mastery spells) and/or 15 minutes studying his spellbook (for the spellbook slots).

Spellbooks
A Necromancer begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level spells (except those from his prohibited schools, see below) from the Necromancer spellbook spell list, plus ONE 1st-level spell of your choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus he has, the spellbook holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice. At each new Necromancer level, he gains ONE new spell of any spell level or levels that he can cast for his spellbook. At any time, a Necromancer can also add spells found in other spellcasters' spellbooks (provided they can be learned by the Necromancer and are on the spellbook spell list)

Memorized Spell Restrictions
Certain spells from the memorizable spell list have additional restrictions in what they can do (for most of these spells, it is a restriction on appropriate targets; buffs can only be cast on self and/or your undead minions).
These restrictions apply only to the version of the spell memorized automatically by virtue of the Necromancer class. If a spell with such a restriction is added to the Necromancer's spell book, if it was prepared from the spellbook, the restriction does not apply. However, even if it is in the spellbook, but prepared from memory to a memory-only slot, the restriction still applies. However, a spell in the spellbook that then has the Spell Mastery feat applied to it can be prepared from memory without the restriction.
(Does this make sense?)

School Specialization
A Necromancer must give up two of the following schools of magic: Abjuration, Conjuration, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion, Transmutation.
All spells of the schools thus given up are removed from both Necromancer spell lists, and can never be learned, memorized, prepared, or casted.
(I'm considering allowing a third school to be given up in order to cast Necromancy spells at +1 CL. Would this be OP, given the spell list?)

Spontaneous Casting
A Necromancer can channel stored spell energy into "inflict" spells, as an evil Cleric. This only applies to spells prepared from memory.

Arcane Spells and Armor
All of the Necromancer's spells count as Arcane, and there is the normal spell failure chance.

Other Class Features

Rebuke Undead (Su): A Necromancer rebukes undead as an evil Cleric (this ability stacks with his Cleric levels, if any, provided he channeled negative energy as a cleric), turning undead a number of times per day equal to 3 + Charisma modifier. A +2 bonus on turning checks is granted to Necromancers with 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (religion) (unsure whether to make this a class skill or not).

Spell Mastery Prerequisite: Starting at second level, a Necromancer is considered to have fulfilled the prerequisite for Spell Mastery. If this prerequisite was already fulfilled (from having previously taken a level of Wizard), the Necromancer gains Spell Mastery as a Bonus Feat instead (even if it was already gained).

Cure/Inflict Swap (there's probably already a name for this, I just don't know it): Starting at fourth level, a Necromancer is affected by Heal and Cure spells as if they were Harm and Inflict spells, and vice versa (as Undead). However, other Conjuration(Healing) spells, like Restoration, affect a Necromancer as usual.

Detect Undead: Starting at eighth level, a Necromancer can use Detect Undead, as the spell, at will.

Death Ward: Starting at sixteenth level, a Necromancer is always considered to be under the effect of Death Ward (unless he voluntarily lowers his protection, as a swift action)

(Maybe allow for some Epic Feat that allows conversion to Undead type, with d12 hit dice and no constitution)

Spell Lists
Necromancer Memorizable Spell List

- ALL Wizard AND Cleric spells that meet the following criteria:
a. They do not have the [Good] descriptor.
b. They are from neither the Conjuration(Calling) nor the Conjuration(Summoning) subschools.
c. They are from the Necromancy school and/or have one or more of the following descriptors: [Evil] [Darkness] [Death] [Fear]
For the above spells that appear in multiple classes at multiple spell levels, they are at the lowest level that they appear on the spell lists for these classes: Wizard, Cleric (lower than Wizard for Animate Dead, Bestow Curse, and Contagion), Druid (lower than Wizard for Blight)
- As well as the above, these additional spells are also on the list (bolded are from Cleric/Druid list, the rest are Wizard):

0:
Abj: Resistance
Div: Read Magic
1:
Abj: Hide from Undead
Con: Mage Armor, Obscuring Mist
Div: Detect Good, Detect Undead
Enc: Sleep
Ill: Color Spray
Tra: Enlarge Person, Jump
2:
Abj: Protection from Arrows, Resist Energy, Shield Other
Con: Fog Cloud
Div: Status
Ill: Blur, Invisibility, Silence
Tra: Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Darkvision, Eagle's Splendor, Fox's Cunning, Owl's Wisdom, Spider Climb
3:
Abj: Nondetection, Protection from Energy
Con: Stinking Cloud
Enc: Deep Slumber
Ill: Displacement
Tra: Haste
4:
Abj: Freedom of Movement, Spell Immunity, Stoneskin
Con: Solid Fog
Enc: Crushing Despair
Evo: Imbue with Spell Ability
Ill: Invisibility, Greater
Tra: Enlarge Person, Mass
5:
Abj: Break Enchantment, Mage's Private Sanctum, Spell Resistance
Con: Cloudkill
Enc: Mind Fog
6:
Abj: Antilife Shell
Con: Acid Fog
Ill: Shadow Walk
Tra: Bull's Strength, Mass, Cat's Grace, Mass, Disintegrate, Eagle's Splendor, Mass, Fox's Cunning, Mass, Owl's Wisdom, Mass
7:
Enc: Power Word Blind
Ill: Invisibility, Mass
8:
Abj: Protection from Spells, Spell Immunity, Greater
Con: Incendiary Cloud
Enc: Antipathy, Sympathy
Tra: Temporal Stasis
9:
Abj: Freedom
Evo: Implosion

So the full, combined list:

Bold: from Cleric/Druid list, not Wizard
Italic: A certain restriction applies to these spells (see below)
Underlined: Other restrictions apply to these spells
0:
Abj: Resistance
Con:
Div: Read Magic
Enc:
Evo:
Ill:
Nec: Disrupt Undead, Touch of Fatigue, Inflict Minor Wounds
Tra:
1:
Abj: Hide from Undead, Protection from Good
Con: Mage Armor, Obscuring Mist
Div: Detect Good, Detect Undead
Enc: Bane, Sleep
Evo:
Ill: Color Spray
Nec: Cause Fear, Chill Touch, Curse Water, Deathwatch, Doom, Inflict Light Wounds, Ray of Enfeeblement
Tra: Enlarge Person, Jump
2:
Abj: Protection from Arrows, Resist Energy, Shield Other
Con: Fog Cloud
Div: Status
Enc:
Evo: Darkness, Desecrate
Ill: Blur, Invisibility, Silence
Nec: Blindness/Deafness, Command Undead, Death Knell, False Life, Gentle Repose, Ghoul Touch, Inflict Moderate Wounds, Scare, Spectral Hand
Tra: Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Darkvision, Eagle's Splendor, Fox's Cunning, Owl's Wisdom, Spider Climb
3:
Abj: Magic Circle against Good, Nondetection, Protection from Energy
Con: Stinking Cloud
Div:
Enc: Deep Slumber
Evo: Deeper Darkness
Ill: Displacement
Nec: Animate Dead, Bestow Curse, Contagion, Gentle Repose, Halt Undead, Inflict Serious Wounds, Ray of Exhaustion, Speak with Dead, Vampiric Touch
Tra: Haste
4:
Abj: Freedom of Movement, Spell Immunity, Stoneskin
Con: Solid Fog
Div:
Enc: Crushing Despair
Evo: Imbue with Spell Ability
Ill: Invisibility, Greater, Phantasmal Killer
Nec: Blight, Death Ward, Enervation, Fear, Inflict Critical Wounds, Poison
Tra: Enlarge Person, Mass
5:
Abj: Break Enchantment, Dispel Good, Mage's Private Sanctum, Spell Resistance
Con: Cloudkill
Div:
Enc: Mind Fog
Evo: Unhallow
Ill: Nightmare
Nec: Inflict Light Wounds, Mass, Magic Jar, Mark of Justice, Slay Living, Symbol of Pain, Waves of Fatigue
Tra:
6:
Abj: Antilife Shell
Con: Acid Fog
Div:
Enc:
Evo:
Ill: Shadow Walk
Nec: Circle of Death, Create Undead, Eyebite, Harm, Inflict Moderate Wounds, Mass, Symbol of Fear, Undeath to Death
Tra: Bull's Strength, Mass, Cat's Grace, Mass, Disintegrate, Eagle's Splendor, Mass, Fox's Cunning, Mass, Owl's Wisdom, Mass
7:
Abj:
Con:
Div:
Enc: Power Word Blind
Evo: Blasphemy
Ill: Invisibility, Mass
Nec: Control Undead, Destruction, Finger of Death, Inflict Serious Wounds, Mass, Symbol of Weakness, Waves of Exhaustion
Tra:
8:
Abj: Protection from Spells, Spell Immunity, Greater, Unholy Aura
Con: Incendiary Cloud
Div:
Enc: Antipathy, Sympathy
Evo:
Ill:
Nec: Clone, Create Greater Undead, Horrid Wilting, Inflict Critical Wounds, Mass, Symbol of Death
Tra: Temporal Stasis
9:
Abj: Freedom
Con:
Div:
Enc: Power Word Kill
Evo: Implosion
Ill: Weird
Nec: Astral Projection, Energy Drain, Soul Bind, Wail of the Banshee
Tra:

Spells in italics (just about all the defensive/buff spells that aren't Necromancy on the list) have the additional restriction when prepared from memory after being learned from this list:
As well as any other restrictions on targets the spell may have, this spell may target only the Necromancer and/or any Undead under his control (whether from Rebuke or Command Undead, etc.)

Spells underlined have specific restrictions:
Antipathy: May be used only against a creature that is Always (any) Good, or against a Good alignment
Sympathy: May be used only to attract undead, or an Evil alignment

Necromancer Spellbook Spell List

-All spells in the above list (without the restrictions that apply to them in that list)
-All spells in the Wizard spell list, except those of subtype Conjuration(Calling) or Conjuration(Summoning), or those with [Good] descriptors (Gate is on the list, but the (Calling) part of the spell cannot be used.
-The following spells (all Conjuration(Healing):

0:
Cure Minor Wounds
1:
Cure Light Wounds
2:
3:
Cure Moderate Wounds
Delay Poison
Restoration, Lesser
4:
Cure Serious Wounds
Remove Blindness/Deafness
Remove Disease
5:
Cure Critical Wounds
Neutralize Poison
Restoration
6:
Cure Light Wounds, Mass
Raise Dead
7:
Cure Moderate Wounds, Mass
Heal
8:
Cure Serious Wounds, Mass
9:
Cure Critical Wounds, Mass
Regenerate
Restoration, Greater
Resurrection

(Similar to the druid, these are 1 level higher than the Cleric spells, except for Regenerate, Restoration, Greater and Resurrection, which are 2 levels higher, and Cure Minor/Light, which are the same)

So there it is. I'm curious to know your reactions; since I have never played, I have no illusions about my lack of balancing skill. I would be interested to know if you think it's Overly Complicated/Interesting/Been Done Before/Overpowered/Underpowered/Whatever, and why. I'm posting this because I think critique from people who actually play will raise my understanding of the game.

Also, if something I wrote isn't clear, I can clarify, or if you're curious why I gave the necromancer the abilities/spells that I did (from a feel prespective, as I'm pretty ignorant about balance).

Gamer Girl
2012-08-18, 11:02 PM
1.Spellcasting So you want this class to half prepare spells as a cleric and half prepare spells as a wizard? That's really odd. You normally do one or the other.

2.Spell Mastery You mention this feat a lot, but it only works for wizards and other spellcasters that memorize spells from a spellbook. So it's an odd feature here.

3.Cure/Inflict Swap They way you have this written the person could never be healed by magic, right? Tomb Tainted Soul (the feat) alloys you to be healed by negative energy and harmed by positive.(and healing is not by default positive energy).

Detect Undead is way to high of a level. Other then it's a weak ability, it's much more useful right from the start. This should be a 1st level ability.

Spells There are undead summoning spells, so the no (Summoning) spells would not allow then to be used by this class.

Both [Darkness] and [Fear] are not really all 'necromancy' type spells...and that is a LOT of spells.

The first spell list looks oddly cheery picked for the best combat spells.

And the second spell list gives a lot of healing/cure spells? Why? As a necromancer they will be mostly useless.

Red.Tide
2012-08-19, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the response!

1. Yeah, that was the idea. It probably makes it needlessly complicated, but I liked the idea of a character with a standard known spell list (like a cleric) with the (limited) ability to add more.

2. The first time I mentioned Spell Mastery, it was in explaining that his memorized spells work as if they were a normal wizard's spells affected by the Spell Mastery feat. The Necromancer can still take the feat, but it works only on the few spells in the Necromancer's spellbook (which he does have, so it is relevant). This feat should thus be more useful to the Necromancer, as most of his spell slots MUST be filled up by spells he has memorized, and Spell Mastery allows spells from the second list to be memorized.

Example:
Ned the Level 6 Necromancer has Fireball in his spellbook. Unfortunately, it's not on his 'memorizable' spell list, so he must fill his regular spell slots with spells from that list, and can only prepare fireball once in the extra 3rd-level spell slot (the one that must be prepared from his spellbook).

Ned levels up, and takes Spell Mastery, designating Fireball. Now, he has it memorized, so he can prepare it in his regular 3rd (or 4th) level slots (the ones that must be prepared from memory).

3. Yeah, Tomb Tainted Soul is what I was thinking of. I couldn't remember the name. I did say, however, that "a Necromancer is affected by Heal and Cure spells as if they were Harm and Inflict spells, and vice versa" so I did word it correctly.

You're probably right about Detect Undead; I should give it at level 1. You're also probably right about giving so many spells; I thought the Darkness and Fear matched the feel of the Necromancer, but it seems he can do a lot despite in theory being specialized. Perhaps I should keep his list to Necromancy, Death effects, and buffs.

As for the cherry-picked list, I took most of the buff spells that would make sense to be used on undead (so for instance no inspiring courage) and didn't have religious symbolism (sanctuary). Remember, they are (in theory) somewhat balanced by only applying to the Necromancer and his current minions, and not his other allies or party members.

The healing/cure spells are mainly in there for the flavor, not because they're expected to be particularly useful; in my mind, someone obsessed with life/death would learn some healing as a byproduct of doing the opposite.

Vadskye
2012-08-19, 12:10 AM
Cure Light Wounds
When laying your hand upon a living creature, you channel positive energy that cures 1d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +5).
From here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/cureLightWounds.htm)

So yes, healing is positive energy by default. I don't see a problem with the wording I see.