PDA

View Full Version : Grenade!

Joe Eskimo
2012-08-19, 12:17 AM
is there an item, alchemical or magical that resembles a frag grenade in use? I'm leaning less toward a smokepowder or gunpowder grenade and more toward an alchemical or magical one. Kind of what a blast disk is to a landmine.

The Redwolf
2012-08-19, 12:19 AM
Alchemist's Fire?

Eugenides
2012-08-19, 12:31 AM
I know you're leaning away from gunpowder grenades, but depending on how imaginative your DM is, you could just tie a bag of pebbles to a stick of dynamite and call it a day.

Joe Eskimo
2012-08-19, 12:31 AM
that's also the first thing that i thought of but it doesn't quite go boom. Hehe. Ooh! Moogle!:smallbiggrin:

The Redwolf
2012-08-19, 12:33 AM
that's also the first thing that i thought of but it doesn't quite go boom. Hehe. Ooh! Moogle!:smallbiggrin:

Place explosive runes on things and throw them? Something like coins works well because they look to see what the coin is and it explodes.

I used to use an actual picture of Mog in that pose as my avatar on most places, but now that I have that picture I use it instead, I love the OOTS avatar thread.

Joe Eskimo
2012-08-19, 12:36 AM
Cool. Which sourcebook has explosive runes?

The Redwolf
2012-08-19, 12:40 AM
Pretty sure it's in the first PHB, it's a pretty basic spell. I don't remember what level, but it's a sorcerer/wizard spell, shouldn't be hard to find.

Joe Eskimo
2012-08-19, 12:47 AM
thanks for that. I thought they were items. Gonna look this one up. Still waiting around for other ideas.

Crasical
2012-08-19, 01:05 AM
Alternatively, black powder bombs from the DMG.

Big Fau
2012-08-19, 01:29 AM
There is a spell in the Spell Compendium called Scatterspray, which can be used like a grenade. A wand of it is fairly cheap.

Kudaku
2012-08-19, 02:44 AM
Not sure if this is relevant or not, but in Pathfinder there's a class (Alchemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist)) that can be built specifically to make and utilize bombs and grenades.

molten_dragon
2012-08-19, 06:10 AM
There's the necklace of fireballs (DMG). It's a necklace with gold balls on it. You pull one off, throw it, and it turns into a fireball when it lands.

There's also the bead of force, which you throw, and it does 5d6 force damage to everything in a 10 foot radius sphere, then traps everything inside in an impenetrable sphere of force for 10 minutes.

Mithril Leaf
2012-08-19, 06:36 AM
What about those flash bang grenades from OA (pretty sure). Check the haversack handbook.

Darrin
2012-08-19, 06:23 PM
is there an item, alchemical or magical that resembles a frag grenade in use? I'm leaning less toward a smokepowder or gunpowder grenade and more toward an alchemical or magical one. Kind of what a blast disk is to a landmine.

From Shax's Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101):

Explosive Pack
Price: 200 GP
Weight: 2#
(Secrets of Sarlona p. 138)
An alchemical explosive that can be set to go off after a predetermined time, usually 1 to 10 rounds. 1d6 bludgeoning and slashing damage in a 5' radius burst. Full-round action that provokes AoOs to activate. For another 200 GP, you can add 2 lbs of explosives and increase the damage by 1d6, and for each 3d6 damage, the blast radius increases by 5', up to a maximum of 10d6 and 20'. A Profession (Siege Engineer) check DC 20 causes double damage to objects, and a DC 30 check does triple. Note: the DMG has slightly cheaper bombs (150 GP for 2d6 fire damage) if you're just looking for something you can light and throw.
Craft (Alchemy) DC: 26

Firestone
Price: 50 GP
Weight: 0.5#
(Dragon Compendium p. 117)
Thrown as a grenade-like weapon, it does 1d6 fire damage, but unlike a splash weapon, it has an area effect that damages everything in the 5' square without a Ref save. Ranged touch attacks are pretty easy to begin with, but targeting a stationary square rather than a creature makes them even ridiculously more so. This might allow you to throw a whole bag full of these into a square for Xd6 fire damage, X = however many firestones fit in the bag. Another interesting tactic might be to give this bag to an unseen servant, and have it drop or empty the bag into a square from above (doesn't require an attack roll). No weight was given in the Dragon Compendium or the original Dragon article, so I'm assuming a firestone weighs the same as a sling bullet (1/2 lb). Thus, an unseen servant could put 39 into a sack (20 lbs total) and drop it in a square for 39d6 fire damage, no save.
Craft (Alchemy) DC: 25

Ditherbomb
Price: 100/300/1000 GP
Weight: 0.5#/0.5#/1#
(Races of the Dragon p. 122)
The random 1d3 round delay makes these difficult to use tactically, but they can be given to an unseen servant that can activate them, carry them around, or drop them as need be. Explosive Packs (Secrets of Sarlona) are more reliable.

mattsdelf
2012-08-19, 09:23 PM
One thing about the Necklace of fireballs that is overpowered is the clause, "If the necklace is being worn or carried by a character who fails her saving throw against a magical fire attack, the item must make a saving throw as well (with a save bonus of +7). If the necklace fails to save, all its remaining spheres detonate simultaneously, often with regrettable consequences for the wearer."

Depending on how you interpret that, you could strap a necklace to an alchemists fire, throw it at something, and then the alchemists fire detonates 'All of the remaining spheres at once.' This could lead to quite a magical fireball grenade.

jaybird
2012-08-19, 09:25 PM
Considering how much a Necklace of Fireballs costs, I wouldn't say it's THAT OP...

Joe Eskimo
2012-08-20, 12:38 AM
From Shax's Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101):

Explosive Pack
Price: 200 GP
Weight: 2#
(Secrets of Sarlona p. 138)
An alchemical explosive that can be set to go off after a predetermined time, usually 1 to 10 rounds. 1d6 bludgeoning and slashing damage in a 5' radius burst. Full-round action that provokes AoOs to activate. For another 200 GP, you can add 2 lbs of explosives and increase the damage by 1d6, and for each 3d6 damage, the blast radius increases by 5', up to a maximum of 10d6 and 20'. A Profession (Siege Engineer) check DC 20 causes double damage to objects, and a DC 30 check does triple. Note: the DMG has slightly cheaper bombs (150 GP for 2d6 fire damage) if you're just looking for something you can light and throw.
Craft (Alchemy) DC: 26

Firestone
Price: 50 GP
Weight: 0.5#
(Dragon Compendium p. 117)
Thrown as a grenade-like weapon, it does 1d6 fire damage, but unlike a splash weapon, it has an area effect that damages everything in the 5' square without a Ref save. Ranged touch attacks are pretty easy to begin with, but targeting a stationary square rather than a creature makes them even ridiculously more so. This might allow you to throw a whole bag full of these into a square for Xd6 fire damage, X = however many firestones fit in the bag. Another interesting tactic might be to give this bag to an unseen servant, and have it drop or empty the bag into a square from above (doesn't require an attack roll). No weight was given in the Dragon Compendium or the original Dragon article, so I'm assuming a firestone weighs the same as a sling bullet (1/2 lb). Thus, an unseen servant could put 39 into a sack (20 lbs total) and drop it in a square for 39d6 fire damage, no save.
Craft (Alchemy) DC: 25

Ditherbomb
Price: 100/300/1000 GP
Weight: 0.5#/0.5#/1#
(Races of the Dragon p. 122)
The random 1d3 round delay makes these difficult to use tactically, but they can be given to an unseen servant that can activate them, carry them around, or drop them as need be. Explosive Packs (Secrets of Sarlona) are more reliable.

this is perfect! Thanks!

Wonton
2012-08-20, 01:13 AM
One thing about the Necklace of fireballs that is overpowered is the clause, "If the necklace is being worn or carried by a character who fails her saving throw against a magical fire attack, the item must make a saving throw as well (with a save bonus of +7). If the necklace fails to save, all its remaining spheres detonate simultaneously, often with regrettable consequences for the wearer."

Depending on how you interpret that, you could strap a necklace to an alchemists fire, throw it at something, and then the alchemists fire detonates 'All of the remaining spheres at once.' This could lead to quite a magical fireball grenade.

OR just cast Protection from Energy (Fire) and cast Fireball on yourself!

Kane0
2012-08-20, 02:11 AM
Just gonna leave this link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12790953#post12790953) here... hope it helps :smallbiggrin: