PDA

View Full Version : Eyes of the Lich Queen OOC II



Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

TheFallenOne
2013-01-19, 08:19 PM
Wouldn't he just go on about what Sea Wyverns are doing on land and how they are supposed to fit in the cellar? *cough* Emerald Claw *cough*

TekHed
2013-01-19, 08:24 PM
Probably. :smalltongue:

Postmodernist
2013-01-20, 04:52 PM
Base, request tactical bard strike. Bard unit, come in, over.

Copy that. Bard unit is prepared for activation, but didn't want to monopolize during the scene. Tactical incursion forthcoming.

TheFallenOne
2013-01-22, 11:09 PM
Say, how far along in the module are we actually? Somewhere close to half I guess?

Sallera
2013-01-22, 11:55 PM
About halfway through part two of four.

Postmodernist
2013-01-23, 01:22 AM
"Dog Rim" is the best intentional malapropism possible. Another point for the Gemstone Ingenue!

TekHed
2013-01-23, 01:45 AM
Thanks! I do try. :smallbiggrin:

TheFallenOne
2013-01-25, 12:29 AM
Jailbreak Dreadhold? Yikes! That sounds unpleasant. Especially since we'd need to use nonlethal means against the guards unless we want the ire of a dragonmarked house(well, more than we would get just for breaking someone out...)

I made a little off-the-rails leap. Will be worth it just to see those guys' reactions to his proposal :smalltongue:

Postmodernist
2013-01-25, 07:33 PM
Jailbreak Dreadhold? Yikes! That sounds unpleasant. Especially since we'd need to use nonlethal means against the guards unless we want the ire of a dragonmarked house(well, more than we would get just for breaking someone out...)

I made a little off-the-rails leap. Will be worth it just to see those guys' reactions to his proposal :smalltongue:

Yup. And Grimmy's line of questioning/suggestion has inspired Xaxhan to take up the cause. Is Mr. Thunderbreaker suggesting that we do the deed disguised as the Emerald Claw? If not, Xaxhan is going to suggest precisely that. Who doesn't love possibly prompting a Direshark/Emerald Claw/Cloudreaver showdown?

TheFallenOne
2013-01-25, 08:06 PM
That's an interesting idea. Downside is, going out of our way not to kill someone would look very implausible for the Emerald Claw and Grimmgang would be quite reluctant to kill House Kundarak guards. Also, so far all Emerald Claw have been human. Would a dwarf be believable? Not to mention the rather distinctive Shard and Drasil.

Now, I'm pretty sure we're supposed to do the Dreadhold raid(second half of Part 2 I guess), but it's only plausible if we have a guarantee Thraxis somehow still has the journal pages on him, or memorized.

But doing something in Port Verge sounds good as well. We know the Emerald Claw has a base here, and Kolberkon is likely one of their closest allies in the Principalities. Taking out the Claw base preemptively would be beneficial later. Going a step further and helping the Wyverns with a coup against Kolberkon would be crazy awesome. Though that would more look like a small war than our usual skirmishes :smallbiggrin:

TekHed
2013-01-25, 08:08 PM
I do like how we have detoured from the main path at times, and benefited from premptive strikes...

Postmodernist
2013-01-25, 08:21 PM
That's an interesting idea. Downside is, going out of our way not to kill someone would look very implausible for the Emerald Claw and Grimmgang would be quite reluctant to kill House Kundarak guards. Also, so far all Emerald Claw have been human. Would a dwarf be believable? Not to mention the rather distinctive Shard and Drasil.

Who says that Grimmy, Shard, and Drasil have to participate? They could even look like prisoners themselves. Grimmy may have compunctions about killing Kundarak, but the others don't. Even still, the Emerald Claw may have the same incentives (ie: not invoking the wrath of a powerful House) for not killing Kundarak members. We can still go non-lethal, but as long as we cast aspersions on the right enemies, we benefit.


Taking out the Claw base preemptively would be beneficial later. Going a step further and helping the Wyverns with a coup against Kolberkon would be crazy awesome. Though that would more look like a small war than our usual skirmishes :smallbiggrin:

I'm also very much in favor of this, though if the Wyverns are as wet behind the ears as they seem, they may not be the ideal allies. I still think the best tactic is to drive a wedge between the Claw/Kolberkon and the Cloudreavers. The Claw are our direct adversaries, and they're allied with Kolberkon. The Cloudreavers are pretty well-known as some of worst jerks IN A SOCIETY COMPOSED ALMOST ENTIRELY OF PIRATES, so that's saying something. Lastly, they're both competitors with Ryger, who has proven to be worthy benefactor and an honest broker. If we can make those two sides compete from each other, we all benefit.

Postmodernist
2013-01-26, 09:46 AM
Holy crap, there's our answer right there: Daiya and Xaxhan present themselves as Emerald Claw members, Shard and Grimmgang disguise themselves as Prince Kolberkon's Diresharks, where their more unusual appearances would be an asset. Just pretend Shard is an unusual warforged. The Diresharks have an alliance with House Lyrandar, which implies possilbe friction with House Kundarak.

TheFallenOne
2013-01-26, 06:47 PM
That sure is an interesting idea. Pity we didn't pilfer any uniforms from the many Emerald Claw soldiers we killed. Xaxhan can probably fake a disguise, but would have made things way easier.

And I just realized... The Sea Wyverns may be rather unimpressive, but we got a bard. Inspire Courage and Dragonfire Inspiration turns that ragtag bunch of misfits into an army. Shard's Protection Devotion helps as well, and Daiya has some nice blasting spells. We might actually be able to challenge Kolberkon inside his own port! That would be a brazen move, but leaving such a lasting impact on the power structure of the Principalities sure sounds awesome.

TekHed
2013-01-26, 07:09 PM
Oh man! I am so into that! Like I was saying before, even though I want to play the module, I LOVE going off the rails...like when we rated the cellar safehouse (at least I think that was an extra encounter right Sal?).

It really would be cool if we have some uniforms...would it be worth trying to take down a couple of Claw to get them? If not are there any ways to simulate them...disguise spells?

How many ways can I say yes? Let's impact power structures. :smallsmile:

Postmodernist
2013-01-26, 07:48 PM
Even if we don't happen to have Emerald Claw gear on hand, it's easily faked. The half-helms they wear and some insignias go a long way. Plus, we can leave lots of calling cards when we raid Dreadhold.

As for the ragtag army idea, I am totally into that. Screw the Dragon's Eye, let's become Pirate Kings! Better yet, let's use the Dragon's Eye as Pirate Kings to conquer the Principalities. Or where ever.

TekHed
2013-01-26, 07:52 PM
Just remember, we need it to bargain with Sir'kil to somehow remove our curse. Also, didn't we withhold one of the artifacts that we haven't gotten paid for yet?

Sallera
2013-01-26, 07:59 PM
Now, I'm pretty sure we're supposed to do the Dreadhold raid(second half of Part 2 I guess), but it's only plausible if we have a guarantee Thraxis somehow still has the journal pages on him, or memorized.

While I usually prefer not to discuss my style, I do want to at least point out that this is entirely fine. You shouldn't feel pressured to do something just because it looks like what the module wants you to - if I actually do need you to do something, I can manage that by plenty of methods. :3

TheFallenOne
2013-01-26, 08:11 PM
Fair enough. Just wanted to make clear that I understand going too far off the rails is under DM purview. Creating whole new encounters for Emerald Claw and Diresharks in Port Verge would naturally be some work.

We should inquire if they know the numbers of Emerald Claw and Diresharks in town, just to see how feasable a direct strike would be. Kolberkon surely has way more men than the Sea Wyverns, but a decent number of them is likely on ship. And the port just so requires row boats to reach. Perfect.

Now, problem is, starting a war inside Port Verge might make the Cloudreaver ship run off. Guess that's not a risk we're willing to take. Perhaps we should go along with the Dreadhold plan to get Thraxis and build trust. We can reexamine a coup against Kolberkon later.


As for the ragtag army idea, I am totally into that. Screw the Dragon's Eye, let's become Pirate Kings! Better yet, let's use the Dragon's Eye as Pirate Kings to conquer the Principalities. Or where ever.

Well, Grimmgang has rather little fondness for open water :smalltongue:

Postmodernist
2013-01-27, 12:43 AM
All of what TFO has said is true: we might scare off the Cloudreavers, we're not sure of the numbers, etc. Plus, I sense something ominous in this whole "Thraxis has weird tattoos and is a little off" thing. Which is why disguising ourselves as Claw/Diresharks is the best possible way to:
1) stir up trouble
2) direct attention to our enemies
3) benefit our allies
4) be totally awesome.

If nothing else, Xaxhan could gussy himself up as an Emerald Claw commander and make the rest of you seem like mercenaries or something. He could spout lots of crazy statements like a religious zealot. Plus, it'd be fun.

TheFallenOne
2013-01-27, 12:52 AM
Remember that one-time Animate Dead thingie we found on Dura? Use that, be sure to have some witnesses for us using undead and the credibility of the Emerald Claw feint goes up quite a bit :smallamused:

Postmodernist
2013-01-27, 01:13 AM
Remember that one-time Animate Dead thingie we found on Dura? Use that, be sure to have some witnesses for us using undead and the credibility of the Emerald Claw feint goes up quite a bit :smallamused:

Holy crap, that is an amazingly good idea.

TekHed
2013-01-27, 01:51 AM
I love it when a plan comes together!

TheFallenOne
2013-01-28, 04:09 PM
I prefer it when a plan works :smalltongue:

Sallera, how do you handle the familiarity requirement of Sending? Could Daiya reach Thraxis if provided some description by his buddies?

Sallera
2013-01-28, 04:18 PM
Hm, I don't think a verbal description would be enough. Personal contact or enough information to approximate it (scrying, picture + detailed description of manner, something like that).

TheFallenOne
2013-01-30, 01:21 AM
Hm, they can provide that detailed description though, can't they? If not I guess we can part a Sending Stone to one of them so Thraxis knows we're coming and can agree to our deal(notes<->freedom).

TekHed
2013-01-30, 01:32 AM
I'm a bit confused about the plan and the order of operations here...we are going to impersonate the Claw while taking out the Clooudreavers, then use the latter's ship to break out Thraxis...so that the Mror Holds think it was the Cloudreavers, and we start a three way war between the Cloudreaves, Claw, and Dreadhold?

Wasn't the re something about slaughtering all the Claw and Kolberkon's men by waiting on the shore as they launched longboats? Do we still want to take over Kolberkon's territory, perhaps to ally with Rygar?

Someone help set me straight please...

TheFallenOne
2013-01-30, 03:44 AM
We don't need to dress up to attack the ship, as the intended result is for everyone to die there.

Dreadhold we attack dressed up as Emerald Claw.

On the last part I think your imagination ran a bit rampant :smalltongue: We need to finish the Dreadhold thing first, then we can reexamine if taking out Kolberkon is beneficial at that point.

TekHed
2013-01-30, 03:51 AM
I would like that...going off the rails is fun, and I'm a junkie-whore for that sweet sweet xp. :smallbiggrin:

Postmodernist
2013-01-30, 09:36 AM
We don't need to dress up to attack the ship, as the intended result is for everyone to die there.

Dreadhold we attack dressed up as Emerald Claw.

On the last part I think your imagination ran a bit rampant :smalltongue: We need to finish the Dreadhold thing first, then we can reexamine if taking out Kolberkon is beneficial at that point.

This is exactly what I had in mind.

Postmodernist
2013-01-30, 09:20 PM
We need to find some utility items and spells. I'd kill for even a simple Obscuring Mist in this scenario. I need to get a wand of Invisibility or Invisibility Sphere or the like, too. Shard and Daiya's spells are pretty damage or buff focused (Cloud of Knives, MM, Bear's Endurance, etc.). I'm used to playing Focused Conjuration type battlefield control mages, but you can't prepare for every contingency. Still, we need to figure more

TheFallenOne
2013-01-30, 09:39 PM
Both Shard and Daiya could cast Obscuring Mist after preparing new spells. Problem is, I don't think it helps that much. It covers a relatively small area,and appears suddenly. I'd say it draws more attention than avoiding it.

Postmodernist
2013-01-30, 09:49 PM
Fair enough, but my point still stands. We're pretty heavily combat oriented.

MoleMage
2013-01-30, 11:35 PM
Do any of the other mist spells have better usage? Obscuring has the problem of always centering on the caster, but Daiya should get the others as well.

Also, I've been a bit overwhelmed with school (a semester off then diving right into master's program, while still working 5 days a week for a paycheck can run a guy ragged until he gets used to it), so if I'm unresponsive for several days, feel free to NPC me. I doubt I'll be absent more than a week consecutive for this, but I'm going to check in sooner rather than later.

TheFallenOne
2013-01-31, 02:53 AM
Well, we can just trust they're not perceptive enough and no one's eager to help them like Hellscurvy suggests.

The safest route looks like blowing 5 Invisibilities; one each of us and the boat. That seems the 'paranoid' approach but since we should have chance to rest before reaching Dreadhold we can be liberal with spells used I think.
The invisible boat would leave some empty space in the water, but that's way harder to see at night.

Either way, let's get some combat going. All talk and no mayhem makes Grimmgang an even sourer boy.

Postmodernist
2013-01-31, 03:25 AM
Fair enough, 5 invisibilities it is.

And yeah, let's hurry to the combat. All this "role-playing" is feeling weird; I mean, I'm playing a bard. I only made this character to be awesome in fights, not social situations.

Sallera
2013-01-31, 11:53 AM
Alrighty then, we'll move on to the operation tonight. I guess it has been... four, five months since you hit something? Wow.

Edit: If you're going tonight, are you giving up on visiting the tailor?

TheFallenOne
2013-01-31, 05:59 PM
Alrighty then, we'll move on to the operation tonight. I guess it has been... four, five months since you hit something? Wow.


*checks MBT timestamps* not a record :smalltongue:


Edit: If you're going tonight, are you giving up on visiting the tailor?

Hm, I'd rather not, it's such a nice idea. We could just fill the extra day with Gather Information and detection checks to maybe learn about the Emerald Claw and Kolberkon here without delaying things further.

Sallera
2013-01-31, 06:04 PM
Oh, sure, but we often go out of our way to avoid having to hit things in MBT. That's not really the case here. :smalltongue:

TekHed
2013-01-31, 07:05 PM
MBT?

I agree, since we are waiting a day, we will have ample time for the tailor, once we have secured our transportation. :smallwink:

Postmodernist
2013-01-31, 07:32 PM
Yeah, we're definitely not missing out on the tailor.

EDIT: Xaxhan may have just found his battlecry: "TO THE HABERDASHERY!"

Sallera
2013-01-31, 11:29 PM
Alright, it's just that you won't easily be able to return to port once you steal the ship; that part will mandate a rather abrupt departure.

TekHed
2013-01-31, 11:38 PM
I thought the plan was to wait until the following night to go for Dreadhold so we can recover all of our spells and hit it fresh?

I thought we had it set up to get both parts of the plan going...

TheFallenOne
2013-01-31, 11:48 PM
My guess was the trip to Dreadhold would take long enough to refresh spells. So we can take a day off for the tailor and whatever, capture the ship and then make for Dreadhold right after.

I will leave Drasil behind for the ship raid. Saves one Invisibility and she can't climb anyway.

Postmodernist
2013-02-01, 12:01 AM
So it's 4 Invisibility slots. Gotcha.

So are we going to be able to recover spells or not? Also, definitely bring Drasil once we've secured the ship.

Not to be a spoilsport, but do we have a plan once we get to Dreadhold?

TekHed
2013-02-01, 12:20 AM
We have the Cloudreaver pass codes. To be extra clever...after we take out the Cloudreavers, we should put on their uniforms over our fake Claw ones so we really sell the double deception. :smallsmile:

TheFallenOne
2013-02-01, 12:21 AM
Still five invisibilities. 4 characters and the boat.

I figure we can contact Thraxis with Sending and get some further clues how to find him over there.

Oh, I'll buy a sap to easier deal nonlethal damage.

edit: and MBT is my FR Sandbox game where Sallera is a player.

Sallera
2013-02-01, 01:04 AM
Alright, consensus seems to be to speed things up, so there you are.

It'll take you roughly five days, give or take a day, to reach Dreadhold. If that seems like a long time, it's because you're on a normal ship now.

...yeah, Lyrandar galleons are ten times faster than your average sailing ship. I didn't realize the discrepancy was so large until I looked up that travel time, but that's Eberron for you.

Edit: Right, Sending. None of the Wyverns have an actual picture of Thraxis, so contacting him by that route would be difficult. You could give it a shot, but success would be far from guaranteed.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-01, 01:12 AM
huh :smallconfused: I thought they were his pals and none of them know him well enough to reach him with a Sending Stone?

I'll equip my buckler for this and attach the crystal to it.

I guess I'll go first up as I have the best chance of doing so quietly. Though we need the results of the Profession check first. Daiya and Shard have the same modifier, and I'd say the former makes more sense for it with her extra senses.

TekHed
2013-02-01, 01:20 AM
I know. With his abysmal skill points and penalties, Shard is fairly useless for things that don't require smacking things. :smallfrown:

And wow, didn't realize it had been so long since the epic undead squid fight...

MoleMage
2013-02-01, 02:46 AM
We gave the sending stones to Matthias. I'm the only source of Sending we've got now. So they'd have to give me the details on him and I'd have to try reaching him.

MoleMage
2013-02-01, 02:48 AM
[roll0]
Profession: Sailor don't fail me now!
At least the boat is invisible...

EDIT: A thought: Daiya and Shard have the Least Dragonmark of Passage effect: dimension hop.

Could we not have used that method to get Shard on board?

TekHed
2013-02-01, 02:57 AM
Yes. Yes I can.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-01, 03:13 AM
That will help with his sucky climb modifier. So two climbers and two porters?

And I don't think we gave all our stones to Matthias.

Sallera
2013-02-01, 11:58 AM
One of them could do it with a Stone, yes; when you said 'we', I thought you were referring to the party.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-01, 12:43 PM
If we're not interrupted on the Sailor Professioning I can write my 'let's board these suckers' post.

Sallera
2013-02-01, 12:57 PM
Go ahead; it only affects how surprised they are.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-02, 02:22 AM
Come on guys, fighty time! :smallsmile: And don't forget any buffs you wanted to cast before we get close to the ship.

TekHed
2013-02-02, 03:11 AM
Forgot to roll for maneuvers:

Round 1[roll0] Vanguard Strike
Round 1[roll1] Shield Block
Round 2[roll2] Mountain Hammer
Round 3[roll3] Stone Bones
Round 4 Crusader's Strike

If a target or targets are fairly close to Shard when he pops up top I will probably spend a round to cast Cloud of Knives, but want to wait until Xaxhan gets some Inspire Courage going because I only have the spell for 4 rounds and have to be pretty close to use it...

Postmodernist
2013-02-02, 10:28 AM
Just to confirm: We're all invisible on an invisible boat. Daiya and Shard are going to teleport onto the boat, while Grimmy and Xaxhan climb up? It's worth noting that Xaxhan has a +0 Climb modifier and is wearing a mithral breastplate.

EDIT: Never mind! Two solutions present themselves- casting Improvisation for some skill points, or using the Anklet of Translocation. Would the teleport work, Sal?

TekHed
2013-02-02, 01:48 PM
I think the Anklets have a range of 10'.

On another note, how weird would it be to look down, not see your body...and not see the boat underneath you???

Postmodernist
2013-02-02, 02:18 PM
I think the Anklets have a range of 10'.

On another note, how weird would it be to look down, not see your body...and not see the boat underneath you???

Hence why I'm asking Sal whether or not it's enough.

Now think about trying not to bump that invisible boat against another boat, and then coordinating a sneak attack with your invisible allies, whom you cannot signal in any real way.

MoleMage
2013-02-02, 02:24 PM
I don't have to, I'm blindfolded! You're all invisible anyway!

Sallera
2013-02-02, 03:28 PM
As I noted IC, it's twenty feet up. You could climb halfway and teleport the rest, though.

Postmodernist
2013-02-02, 03:44 PM
Post forthcoming. Have a few minor errands to attend to.

Postmodernist
2013-02-02, 04:33 PM
Oh, for Pete's Sake.

At least we leveled up recently.

Action Point: [roll0]

Sallera
2013-02-02, 05:08 PM
Ah, didn't see the OOC while I was posting. I'll edit to reflect the AP.

Postmodernist
2013-02-02, 05:22 PM
Thanks, Sal. We're still invisible, right? Also, can we get a legend?

It looks like:
C 1 is dagger dwarf
C 2 & 3 are the blue/brown sisters
R is greasy pointer human
H is hobgoblin(?) blue/brown
J is human red/gold
A is archer

is this right?

TekHed
2013-02-02, 06:09 PM
Sal, I would think invisibility would negate Shard's glow wouldn't it? I take it you rolled a move silently for me?

TheFallenOne
2013-02-02, 08:09 PM
Damn, lost initiative *seppukus*

Alright guys, give them hell while I, err... stare in envy at the dwarf's facial hair. Yes.

Postmodernist
2013-02-02, 08:46 PM
I just realized something: there are seven of them. Even with our "ambush," this could be rough. Hopefully, my slow catches a few. Shard and Daiya, I suggest quick engagements, as there's not much more buff time. I just realized that I forgot to activate my Dragonmark, too. We should focus one side first.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-02, 08:58 PM
Relax. We faced higher numbers, including two ogre mages. Our manpower will quickly get equalized when we cut the flunkies down. Our trouble are whatever higher-leveled characters are there, mooks stopped being a problem some time ago.

Well, unless the mooks are Swordsages again and Mighty Throw us over board. Would be bad but hilarious :smallbiggrin:

TekHed
2013-02-02, 08:59 PM
If we stay in formation I can protection devotion us and use shield block when that fails.

Also, IC/DFI would help...

Postmodernist
2013-02-02, 09:07 PM
Well, unless the mooks are Swordsages again and Mighty Throw us over board. Would be bad but hilarious :smallbiggrin:

Don't give Sal any ideas!


Also, IC/DFI would help...

I'll DFI and IC ASAP, but right now I've got those two guys threatening me. Plus, I'd like to pop some spells (Glitterdust, perhaps) to further keep the battlefield in our favor.

I need Grease. God I love that spell.

TekHed
2013-02-02, 09:36 PM
Ok, but Ima hold off on CoK until you do...

TheFallenOne
2013-02-02, 09:42 PM
Likewise on Wolf Fang Strike. It just coincides too well with extra d6 on every attack. Think I'll open with a Mountain Hammer to make best use of the Invisibility bonus and get a quick kill.

Postmodernist
2013-02-02, 10:31 PM
Ok, I'll DFI sooner, if it'll make you guys happy. :smalltongue:

Sallera
2013-02-02, 11:01 PM
Yes, I rolled the necessary MS checks. And no, invisibility doesn't do anything about your glow.


Light, however, never becomes invisible, although a source of light can become so (thus, the effect is that of a light with no visible source).

It's not enough to pinpoint you by, but the various colours are still noticeable under the right circumstances.

Edit: Oh, and you got the key correct, Posty.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-03, 01:06 AM
Ok, I'll DFI sooner, if it'll make you guys happy. :smalltongue:

I do consider an immediate DFI the better tactical option as it about doubles our damage output, but in the end it's your call whether to open a combat with Slow or DFI. Your character, your prerogative.

Sallera, could you elaborate in what way the features in the 4 column inhibit sight and movement?

MoleMage
2013-02-03, 02:07 AM
Another benefit to opening with buffs instead of Slow is that they don't break invisibility. Which means that even if they can pinpoint you and also have blindfight, they have only a three in four chance of hitting you, assuming they can match armor. Unless Sallera has started pitting us against Blinded Saints, but none of these poor rubes seemed blind by their description.

TekHed
2013-02-03, 03:18 AM
What Daiya said...of course, that gives them time to buff too...

TheFallenOne
2013-02-03, 03:48 AM
You both could just start bashing baddies IC instead of bashing Posty OOC :smalltongue:

TekHed
2013-02-03, 04:16 AM
I thought we agreed another buff round? I was going to delay and have Shard cast CoK, and free attack...

...should I just drop invisibility and go for a hit?

TheFallenOne
2013-02-03, 04:23 AM
I was mainly referring to posting in the IC at all instead of keeping everything in the OOC.

Postmodernist
2013-02-03, 11:32 AM
You're absolutely right. I forgot that any spell dropped invisibility. For some reason I thought that only direct damage spells revealed you, not indirect debuffs. It probably would have been better to pop DFI right away.

MoleMage
2013-02-03, 01:25 PM
Before I act, I'd like to know which of these people have the magic stuff. Between Arcane Sight and my passive Detect Magic I should be able to pick out the most/least threatening.

EDIT: Assuming that the more threatening ones have the coolest stuff.

Sallera
2013-02-03, 07:40 PM
Mole:The sisters (C2, C3) each have a small object with a faint Conjuration aura. The dwarf (C1) has a small object with a faint Transmutation aura. The archer (A) has two small objects with a faint Necromancy aura, and two with a faint Conjuration aura. The man next to Xaxhan (R) has two small objects with auras you cannot identify, and one with a faint Illusion aura. The human to the south (J) and the hobgoblin next to him (H) each have an active spell with a faint Conjuration aura. The human also has a small object with an aura you cannot identify, two small objects with a faint Conjuration aura, a large object with an aura you cannot identify, and a small object with a faint Abjuration aura. The hobgoblin has a small object with a faint Transmutation aura, and a small object with an aura you cannot identify.

MoleMage
2013-02-03, 07:54 PM
[roll0] Invisible Crit confirm.

I can't wait until I can start feeding Injury into this sword.
Or Disintegrate. I guess I could start opening with Enervation for my sword.
Wait, sorry. Third level or lower. That's probably for this exact reason...

MoleMage
2013-02-03, 07:58 PM
[roll0] Crit damage, forgot this part in the last post.

MoleMage
2013-02-03, 08:00 PM
That should have only been an inflict serious since critical is 4th level.

[roll0] Fort 17 half.

Postmodernist
2013-02-03, 08:29 PM
That was gorgeous, MoleMage.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-03, 09:44 PM
The dwarf dies first... Slightly ominous.

Couple saves
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

MoleMage
2013-02-03, 09:46 PM
[roll0] Fort
[roll1] Ref
[roll2] Will

Can I still sense the disappeared hobgobbo?

Related note, I can still use hold person on invisible foes right?

Sallera
2013-02-03, 09:52 PM
At this rate, I'm going to need to stop throwing spells with saves at you. :smalltongue:

TekHed
2013-02-03, 10:13 PM
Sal, Shard had delayed until after my teammates...shouldn't Shard get to act just prior to our enemies?

TheFallenOne
2013-02-03, 10:46 PM
Those save rolls

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/1130/sealx.png

Tek, if you only wanted to delay past Daiya and Xaxhan there was nothing keeping you from posting your turn. When your turn post says you delay the natural assumption is you delay until after the enemies acted, little sense as doing so makes.

Postmodernist
2013-02-03, 10:51 PM
Fort [roll0]
Reflex [roll1]
Will [roll2]

Postmodernist
2013-02-03, 10:53 PM
Deafened. While it might affect my spellcasting it does not affect bard song, which is awesome.

TekHed
2013-02-03, 11:39 PM
My post did say delay until after allies...

Sallera
2013-02-04, 12:08 AM
Well, not explicitly, no. Let's just let it go this time, since aside from that one spell, nothing much happened on the enemies' turn anyway.

Postmodernist
2013-02-04, 12:12 AM
My post did say delay until after allies...

But the way we do initiative, it doesn't really matter. I guess you were assuming I'd DFI or until debuffs went through. That -1 AC/Ref etc from slow is negligible, the big thing is the no full actions/1 standard or move.

TekHed
2013-02-04, 12:16 AM
Shard waited, delaying just long enough to coordinate it's strike with it's allies.

This.....^

TheFallenOne
2013-02-04, 12:28 AM
Come on Tek, we explained more than once how we do initiative. If you want to act after your allies but before the enemies you just say so and still post your action. There is never a need to post 'X delays/waits' IC unless you want to skip your turn for some reason.

TekHed
2013-02-04, 12:31 AM
I thought Posty was going to edit for IC. Oh well, I guess I'll just post then.

Postmodernist
2013-02-04, 12:41 AM
Post forthcoming. I'm going DFI, so you might want to blow an AP there, Grimmy, if that's not gonna be a high enough roll to drop the caster.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-04, 12:52 AM
Well, he is FF against it, doesn't seem to wear armor and used an offensive spell instead of an AC buff. He might have something to get his AC to 16, but I take that chance.

[roll0]

Postmodernist
2013-02-04, 01:00 AM
Fair enough, I just want enemy mages to die horribly, preferably as soon as possible.

How are you getting 5d6? It's 1 base, 1 from Song of the Heart, 1 from IB, and one from Badge.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-04, 01:13 AM
I wasn't sure how many dice you'll make, so I used rollv to cover all possibilities.

Hrm... I'd hit him if he keeps Mage Armor active and has a +1 AC item like ring or amulet. But Greater Mage Armor is 3rd level as well... I really want to gib the sucker, but I'm already down to half my Action Points and I'd rather keep them for saves and other life or death matters.

TekHed
2013-02-04, 02:23 AM
Just to be clear, whatever attack I make now counts in the first round and so does not benefit from IC???

Sallera
2013-02-04, 02:40 AM
You only need one question mark. If you act before Xaxhan, it won't, if you act after, it will.

Also, don't forget your saves.

TekHed
2013-02-04, 02:50 AM
I won't forget my saves. :)

1st round: Xaxhan casts slow, second round he uses Bardic music. Shard delayed in first round, so even if I act now after Xaxhan it is still before he uses DFI...

Apologies for getting confused again...it happens when people take more than one action before I have taken my first...

Sallera
2013-02-04, 03:14 AM
Well, that's what delaying does. In other words, you can continue delaying until after Xaxhan's second turn if you want to get the bonus. It doesn't have any further effect on initiative at this point.

TekHed
2013-02-04, 03:30 AM
Fair enough. I can use this round to cast cloud of knives then...post incoming!

TheFallenOne
2013-02-04, 04:04 AM
It would make sense to roll the saves OOC first, because naturally being stunned or knocked prone would severely influence what you can and cannot do.

TekHed
2013-02-04, 04:05 AM
Easier to roll my saves here:

Spending 1 pp to add +4 to saves for 1 round (finally I remember to use that!)

Will: [roll0]
Reflex: [roll1]
Fortitude: [roll2]

...I'd rather not risk spell failure for my next two spells so I will pop an AP for that Fortitude save (no need to roll since a 1 will do it).

Nothing to do but eat getting knocked on my arse. Fortunately I'm still invisible and it doesn't affect my turn...

TheFallenOne
2013-02-04, 04:14 AM
Two Natural 1s, that's rough man... At least you made the most important one, but still, that's some bad luck.

Action Points don't prevent the Nat 1 autofailure, I think it came up in this game before.

TekHed
2013-02-04, 04:26 AM
Ah, whoops...didn't see it was a natural 1 actually. Okay, so I won't spend the AP.

Since Shard was first do I now go again, or do I now have to go after the enemies each time because I delayed?

Oh, and since it turns out I was deafened after all, I should roll a spell failure chance for Cloud of Knives: [roll0]

Sallera
2013-02-04, 11:46 AM
As I'm sure I've said at least thrice before, delaying doesn't let you act twice in one round. :smalltongue:

Postmodernist
2013-02-04, 03:00 PM
So I think we should focus on the non-slowed targets, prioritizing the Mage. Do we have any other strategic concerns? My next move is probably dropping a glitter dust on the archer and enlarged dude. Anything else?

MoleMage
2013-02-04, 06:33 PM
Sal, does tremorsense reveal the hobgoblin and does Arcane Sight/Sense Magic reveal a spell on him?

If yes to both, then here's a spellcraft check: [roll0] to identify the spell he cast. If yes to the first but not the second (or I can't tell that he's got illusion/invisibility), then I have no real way to know that he's invisible, since he looks pretty much the same to me visible or invisible otherwise.

TekHed
2013-02-04, 06:54 PM
Alright then my work is done for this here round. :smallsmile:

Sallera
2013-02-04, 07:27 PM
Tremorsense reveals her; she hasn't moved. No change in active auras.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-05, 04:22 AM
Oh, during our one day downtime before the assault we should have informed Thaddeus we'd be gone a while. If that is not permissable retroactively we'll have to drop a Sending instead.

Sallera
2013-02-05, 11:55 AM
That's fine.

MoleMage
2013-02-05, 03:34 PM
Alright, not having any reason to realize that one of the people aft turned invisible, I'm going to press the attack in the middle and let Grimmgang deal with them (since I know he's moving that way and he called the right group).

On a somewhat related note, I can't remember why I thought preparing Sending and Still Hold Person today was more prudent than Shout, when I knew we were going into a fight. I mean, Shout is like the most powerful spell I've got available.

Also, Shard still has that amulet of spell protection right? I think it's time to upgrade from Fireball to Shout stored in that...
EDIT: Especially since he's made of crystal.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-05, 03:59 PM
Well, the point of choosing Fireball is that this is the most common AoE blasting spell around. We are way more likely to get Fireball thrown our way than Shout.

Postmodernist
2013-02-05, 07:15 PM
A 30' cone is pretty easy to aim, and Fireball is common as dirt. I'm in agreement with TFO here. Xaxhan already packs Sound Burst; just don't hit Shard with it.

So, Sal's turn and then we're up again?

TekHed
2013-02-05, 10:55 PM
Let me know if any of those attacks hit anyone by a margin of 3 or less...I can have Shard immediate action throw up protection devotion for a +3 AC that will cover pretty much the entire deck...

TheFallenOne
2013-02-05, 11:24 PM
:smallsigh: Took the wrong gamble then, he did have something to boost his FF AC to 16.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

If that is poison it won't take effect as it fails to get through my DR. Did you account for shooting into melee penalty?

... That sucks.

Postmodernist
2013-02-05, 11:53 PM
At least Grimmy has Scent, right? Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'm thinking either Glitterdust or Dispel Magic on the Giant Archer, followed by a flank of either the mage or the hobgoblin. If Daiya is pinned, she can just Dimension Hop away, or even pop the Still Hold Person she happens to fortunately have. Shard hits whatever target he prefers in melee and follows with a CoK strike, Grimmy continues to press the mage.

Comments?

TheFallenOne
2013-02-05, 11:59 PM
Well, 50% miss chance, and I don't get Skirmish when the enemy has concealment so my damage output is cut down to about 1/3.

Actually, if you contemplate a Dispel, could you throw it my way instead? I'm blinded, the caster is buffed and the gobbo may be likewise.

Postmodernist
2013-02-06, 12:11 AM
That works, although won't the goblin lose the Slow effect? I could do that.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-06, 12:22 AM
I forgot about that. You could target a bit to the right to avoid her.

So should have spent that Action Point...

Sallera
2013-02-06, 12:26 AM
The poison shuriken are indeed useless against Grimmy, but she didn't know that. ^^

TheFallenOne
2013-02-06, 12:33 AM
At least one upside in this fiasco. Would have been a nice invisible assassination.

So, does she have Precise Shot? If not she might try again, not witnessing how the shuriken bounce off :smallbiggrin:

Sallera
2013-02-06, 12:53 AM
Doesn't matter; neither she nor the other guy is armed, so no melee penalty.

Edit: I also forgot the Slow on her this round, but all that means is she wasted one less weapon.

TekHed
2013-02-06, 02:44 AM
I'm trying to save my Protection Devotion for when it is really needed...

Can you guys list your current AC for me, so I know when to pop it at the right moment? This also is useful for me to pull out Shield Blocks when we are adjacent to each other.

Could really use some flat Inspire Courage to help with my Daggers, but I can probably make do if we have bigger priorities...

TekHed
2013-02-06, 05:50 AM
I always hold my breath when posting rolls for Shard, but this time I didn't do so bad with my low AB. A potential 67 damage!

I am now in position to Shield Block for Xaxhan, and can pop Protection Devotion any time...

Edit: Also in Iron Guard's Glare with the usual penalties for C2 (if she is still up).

Edit 2: Also, have to remember my rebuild stuff: I can expend my focus for extra damage, to make an AoO if an ally is attacked, and to take damage for an adjacent ally.


Round 1(1d5)[1] Vanguard Strike
Round 1(1d4)[1] Shield Block
Round 2(1d3)[2] Mountain Hammer
Round 3(1d2)[1] Stone Bones
Round 4 Crusader's Strike

MoleMage
2013-02-06, 10:11 PM
Well I probably got grabbed.

[roll0] Will Save not to be teleported.
[roll1] Balance check to not fall in water (in case previous check failed)
[roll2] Opposed Grapple

Tek, the margin on that arrow was 2 above my AC; I don't know if your option is still available. (Daiya's AC is 22, 15 FF, or 17 Touch).

Whelp, I got teleported, but luckily I've got a few stray ranks in balance. Or unluckily, as that means a gigantic man is now grappling me.

EDIT: It's actually good I prepared Still Hold today. Blinded Saints can spontaneously apply Metamagic, but it does increase the cast time to full-round...which grapple prevents you from using.

TekHed
2013-02-07, 12:19 AM
:/

It would have been but I used my swift this round to cast blade of blood...had I activated the Protection devotion it would have eaten up that action, so I just say roll with it.


From now on though, please give me your ACs in combat (with whatever buffs), and I will monitor Sal's attack rolls on my end to know when Shard should do his party defense schtick.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-07, 12:36 AM
With Skirmish active I got a 22, Touch 15, Ranged Touch 17.

Waiting on Posty's action, as the result of a Dispel would make a huge difference for my turn.

Postmodernist
2013-02-07, 09:48 AM
Xaxhan has an 18, 12 touch.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-07, 09:59 AM
Could you roll the Dispel check against my blindness so I know what dice to use for my action?

Sallera
2013-02-07, 11:33 AM
[roll0] against DC17.

Postmodernist
2013-02-07, 07:30 PM
So we know one thing: homeboy is a 6th level caster. That means (assuming he's a wizard) 3rd level spells. That means kill him fast.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-07, 10:25 PM
We already knew that. Great Thunderclap is 3rd level. If you want even more analysis, the 2 point difference on save DC between that one and Glitterdust means he has Spell Focus(Evocation).

Postmodernist
2013-02-07, 11:18 PM
Wow. Excellent analysis. Frankly, I didn't recognize Great Thunderclap. I'm assuming it's semi-obscure battle field control from SpC or a similar rules expansion. Who takes Spell Focus (Evocation)? Oh, right, NPCs.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-07, 11:49 PM
Eh, the supposed uselessness of Evocation is really overstated around here. That Thunderclap could have messed us up mightily with less luck on the saves, and a simple blasting spell with one or two CL-enhancing feats could have brought both Xaxhan and Daiya dangerously low on HP.

Postmodernist
2013-02-08, 12:20 AM
I think the consensus is that Evocation is overrated in Core, but you can make it work with splatbooks. It does make sense on a bad guy, though, where utility is the least of your interests, and putting the hurt on is what you want.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-08, 11:30 PM
I just noticed I can't figure out how Daiya's and Shard's HP are supposed to add up :smallconfused:

Daiya seems to have too few. 6 + 6d6 +3*7(con) -7(frail) = 41
Shard seems to have too many. 6 + 4d6 + 1d10 + 1d4 +3*7 = 48

TekHed
2013-02-09, 01:51 AM
I cast Bear's Endurance. Edit: your math was wrong, should be 52 I believe. Since aveargeper die is rounded up. D6=4, D4=3 etc...

Edit 2: looks like I was over by 1 in my math, should be 52 not 53

TheFallenOne
2013-02-09, 01:59 AM
Ah, I assumed the HP box is your base value. Did you take damage from anything?

And it's not rounded up. Even levels it's rounded down, odd levels it's rounded up. It's in the DMG on page 198.

MoleMage
2013-02-09, 02:35 PM
I musta forgot to update that the last time I leveled up...fixed.

TekHed
2013-02-09, 02:52 PM
Ah, I assumed the HP box is your base value. Did you take damage from anything?

And it's not rounded up. Even levels it's rounded down, odd levels it's rounded up. It's in the DMG on page 198.


Huh, see I would have never known or guessed that. Most of the games I've seen that do average per level it's round up the die.

So, it should be 48 then for Shard?

Postmodernist
2013-02-09, 05:34 PM
We're just waiting on Sal at this point, right?

Hopefully, the caster will go down from Grimmy's assault, and the giant will succumb to Daiya's spell. She's still in trouble, though. Shard seems ok. The goblin is still slowed and isn't doing much.

I think Glitterdust to help Daiya is up for me. Any other plans?

TekHed
2013-02-09, 05:46 PM
Hit them until they stop moving?

Are you going to save your Inspire Courage Posty? I know you've been waiting for awhile to go all Snowflake Wardance on someone's @$$...

Postmodernist
2013-02-09, 06:44 PM
Dropped the mandolin, so not likely. I like Snowflake Wardance, but Xaxhan is built to use it only if he's pinned down in melee. Still, it's a fun feat. Speaking of which, I need something that will remove fatigue. In a fast-paced scenario, it's not a condition I'd want for 10 minutes.

TekHed
2013-02-09, 11:11 PM
Can't you IC just from singing?

Anyhow, War Skald 2 will remove fatigue, or we could kill Xax and hope he gets reincarnated as a warforged... :smalltongue:

TekHed
2013-02-10, 01:14 AM
Hey Sal, I misremembered Cloud of Knives being at the end rather than the beginning.

Could you clarify the attacks on Xaxhan...are all of them flatfooted or just the first one? If the former I can use Protection to negate the hit.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-10, 01:23 AM
Only the gobbo is invisible.

Also, Xaxhan moved to M5 Sallera.

Well, caster is down. I take care of the hobgoblin; I'm blind anyway, so what matters it she goes invisible all the time? :smalltongue: and you guys better take care Caiya isn't bearhugged to death.


So, it should be 48 then for Shard?

Yes, 48 is the correct average.

TekHed
2013-02-10, 01:39 AM
How do I know whether to round up or down next level?

Postmodernist
2013-02-10, 01:44 AM
Fort save: [roll0]

Jeez, Sal. 2 whole points of damage?

TheFallenOne
2013-02-10, 01:47 AM
How do I know whether to round up or down next level?

As said, on even levels it's rounded down, odd levels rounded up.

TekHed
2013-02-10, 03:59 AM
*Sigh* Another Whiff with the CoK...I really need to wait to use that one until after Xax gives us IC...

Anyhow, flubbed my attack roll syntax:

Stone Bones: [roll0]

Oh good...without his dex bonus and while enlarged that should probably hit.

Question for Sal: Justice lets me expend focus as an immediate to take an AoO against someone who attacks an ally. Would this apply if R used the Grapple Check option or only if he uses the Attack option?

Also, does IGG affect Grappling Checks or again only explicit attack rolls?

MoleMage
2013-02-10, 04:36 AM
[roll0] Opposed to pin.
[roll1] To escape grapple.

So I'm free of the grapple now, and he's threated by Shard's Glare. Good. That's my turn though.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-10, 05:24 AM
No, you're only free if he fails to beat your 23. He made two grapple attacks, once to pin once to damage. You still need to roll to resist the second one.

TekHed
2013-02-10, 05:55 AM
Hmm...the bit in the grapple rules about each option taking the place of an attack, and being iterative at the usual progressive bonus drop makes a good case for IGG affecting Grapples, but I will let Sallera decide.

Edit: Doesn't look like Sal actually forgot the iterative penalty against Daiya, so shouldn't the opposed grapple for damage be 5 lower? Unless I'm misunderstanding what happened, which is more than probable.


If You’re Grappling
When you are grappling (regardless of who started the grapple), you can perform any of the following actions. Some of these actions take the place of an attack (rather than being a standard action or a move action). If your base attack bonus allows you multiple attacks, you can attempt one of these actions in place of each of your attacks, but at successively lower base attack bonuses.

... Pin Your Opponent
You can hold your opponent immobile for 1 round by winning an opposed grapple check (made in place of an attack).

... Damage Your Opponent
While grappling, you can deal damage to your opponent equivalent to an unarmed strike. Make an opposed grapple check in place of an attack.

So that's two attacks right?

Sallera
2013-02-10, 06:45 AM
Fixed the map.

That's not an iterative; I didn't forget any penalties. And no, Iron Guard's Glare only affects attack rolls, which a grapple check is not. Justice mantle is less explicit, so it could work.

Opposed grapple for the escape: [roll0]

Sallera
2013-02-10, 06:47 AM
Apparently that one needs a reroll: [roll0]

Edit: Out of curiosity, Posty, how does Xaxhan's 'Adventurer's Kit' weigh two pounds when it contains an item that weighs five? :smalltongue:

TekHed
2013-02-10, 07:15 AM
Cool, so Daiya escapes, but still needs to make another roll to avoid damage?

TheFallenOne
2013-02-10, 08:24 AM
The guy is a monk and flurried to make two grapple attempts. Come on, unarmed and unarmored grappler, should be pretty obvious :smalltongue:

Postmodernist, you might want to consider taking a 50/50 shot with an Action Point on that poison. Ability drain requires Restoration to remove, so you'd be stuck with the lowered strength until we meet a cooperative level 7+ cleric. That pretty certainly won't happen before we finish the Dreadhold thing.

Postmodernist
2013-02-10, 11:47 AM
Edit: Out of curiosity, Posty, how does Xaxhan's 'Adventurer's Kit' weigh two pounds when it contains an item that weighs five? :smalltongue:

I have no idea. Presumably, I copied the weight of an "adventurer's kit" out of some source and never glanced at it again. In fact, I think it might even be from an older edition, since the iconic characters always had an "Adventurer's Kit" with standard equipment, but it seems to have been discontinued. Whatever weight you deem appropriate, I'll change accordingly.

I'm not entirely sold on the Action Point for the saving throw, since Strength is hardly Xaxhan's main function or focus, but I suppose TFO's argument is solid enough.

AP for Fort Save: [roll0]

I'm glad Daiya has escaped the grapple. Tek, IC may not come for another round, as the archer and the grappler need to be shut down. Fortunately, I can center the spell on Daiya, since she's blind anyway.

EDIT: Bah! Short on the save.

MoleMage
2013-02-10, 12:12 PM
One of the many benefits of blindness is that I can take friendly fire attacks that would render me blind.

Also, his monkitude would mean he's got a +2 to save against that hold person, and awesome saves to begin with. Luckily for me I'm a hybrid caster instead of a wizard or something. Otherwise I'd be dead or close to it by now.

Postmodernist
2013-02-10, 01:14 PM
Roll syntax fail:

[roll0]

Postmodernist
2013-02-10, 01:16 PM
Cool. Spell goes off. DC 17 Will saves or be blinded, -40 to hide, good luck being invisible.

MoleMage
2013-02-10, 02:58 PM
Resisting damage c'mon....

[roll0]

Okay, so that's my damage resisted, my pin avoided above, and my escape successful, also above.

TekHed
2013-02-10, 09:23 PM
Hopefully Shard's attack goes off while the monk is still considered to be Grappling Daiya, so he doesn't gain Dex (and therefor Wisdom) to AC...

Sallera
2013-02-10, 09:58 PM
The escape was a tie, so you need to roll again against the 21 above.

Edit: Ah, never mind. Everyone's posted, and I think he's dead.

TekHed
2013-02-10, 11:11 PM
Woohoo! Shard hit!

NOw what to do with these Cloudreavers...if we let them go how much you want to bet we'll have to deal eith them and their vengeful buddies later?

Also, apparently the Cloudreavers are bad bad bad mofos...

Postmodernist
2013-02-10, 11:25 PM
Whoa. That was pretty cool. I'm willing to accept their surrender and taking their stuff. PLUS WE GET TO MAKE THEM WALK THE PLANK.

Should we wait until we're out to sea to make them do that? It seems rather silly to do it while in port. We could simply capture them, waiting to ransom them later, or maybe even leaving them or selling them into slavery at Dreadhold. That would be rather ironic, if somewhat inappropriately out of character.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-10, 11:48 PM
Grimmgang has his rules about treating surrendering prisoners. Killing them or selling them into slavery wouldn't go well with him. Ransom works if you think it's worth the trouble, but I'd say it's best to take their stuff and let them take a dive once the Sea Wyverns arrive and we're ready to depart.

Postmodernist
2013-02-10, 11:50 PM
Works for me. I figured Grimmy would be particular about being nice to prisoners, even if they're slaving pirates who deserve to be put to the sword.

TekHed
2013-02-11, 12:00 AM
Since we aren't due to hit Dreadhold for another day and night, and these Cloudreavers might try and tip somebody off who could ruin our plan, may I recommend that we at least bind and gag them below decks and make them walk the plank once our mission is done?

TheFallenOne
2013-02-11, 12:08 AM
Works for me. I figured Grimmy would be particular about being nice to prisoners, even if they're slaving pirates who deserve to be put to the sword.

When is Grimmgang ever nice? :smalltongue: As you've seen in his flashback dream he is not above executing the true scumbags. But on these Cloudreavers we only have hearsay and no particulars. I guess if we want to tie up that loose end we could wait what the Sea Dragons have to offer as testimony and then execute them. Not sure killing two more is worth the trouble though.


Since we aren't due to hit Dreadhold for another day and night, and these Cloudreavers might try and tip somebody off who could ruin our plan, may I recommend that we at least bind and gage them below decks and make them walk the plank once our mission is done?

That is a fair point. If they contact Dreadhold before we arrive we are in big trouble.

Postmodernist
2013-02-11, 12:14 AM
We hold them during our raid. There will presumably be a few Sea Wyverns helping us man the ship, right? They can babysit them for a day, I imagine.

Sallera
2013-02-11, 12:30 AM
Two relevant notes for your discussion: it's around five days to Dreadhold, not one, and walking the plank traditionally involves binding the prisoner first. Depending on how serious one is about giving them a chance, weights can also be involved.

Also, Xaxhan needs to make a secondary poison save.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-11, 12:34 AM
Well, that is unnecessarily cruel. Though they did ask for it.

Let's see if my reverse engineering skills are still good.
Sallera, am I correct that the monk was either
- Monk 2, strength 16, Weapon Focus, rolled +1 on Knowledge Devotion
- Monk 3, strength 14, rolled +2 on Knowledge Devotion

Sallera
2013-02-11, 12:43 AM
Neither. (Which of course now means I have to go back and see if I screwed up the numbers somewhere...)

TheFallenOne
2013-02-11, 01:28 AM
Hm strange, it added up so nicely. Wonder where I went wrong in my conclusions.

Sallera
2013-02-11, 01:35 AM
Ah, you know what, I applied the flurry penalty to the grapple checks. One of those perfectly logical things that isn't actually correct. :smalltongue:

TheFallenOne
2013-02-11, 01:44 AM
No, I accounted for that. Let's go through my steps.

1d8+5 enlarged unarmed damage => Monk level 3 or lower, base strength + misc damage =4

Grapple +13. -4 enlarged, -1 enlarged size, -4 improved grapple => BAB + base strength + misc grapple = 4

Touch +6 = BAB + base strenth + misc attack = 6

2 more misc attack than misc grapple. WF is an easy pick. Base strength 18 is unlikely especially for a MAD class so there's likely some misc damage. Knowledge Devotion fits nicely as it gives both attack and damage.
Seems I went wrong somewhere. I can usually reverse engineer low level builds easily enough from seeing them fight.

TekHed
2013-02-11, 01:53 AM
I dunno. It's not explicit but the grapple rules say grapple checks are like attack rolls and use BAB, and the maneuvers possible in a grapple use attack actions and take iterative penalties. Can someone explain to me how Grappling actions are not considered attacks even though they work almost exactly the same (with so far as I can tell the only difference involving the relative size of combatants). :smallconfused:

Postmodernist
2013-02-11, 02:30 AM
What's the bonus on the antitoxin? +5?

Postmodernist
2013-02-11, 02:37 AM
Save, assuming the +5: [roll0]

TekHed
2013-02-11, 02:37 AM
Heh. Forgot the deafness...we wouldn't be able hear their surrender... :smallamused:

Edit: In other Headline News: Eyes of the Lich Queen turns Page 50!

Postmodernist
2013-02-11, 02:38 AM
GRRRR...

[roll0]

TheFallenOne
2013-02-11, 02:45 AM
Heh. Forgot the deafness...we wouldn't be able hear their surrender... :smallamused:

Ahaha I forgot about that :smallbiggrin: we've progressed too far in the conversation though to switch to obliviously keep cutting them down. The gestures should be clear enough anyway.

Ans yes antitoxin is +5 as usual.

Sallera
2013-02-11, 03:54 AM
Ah, found it. He was indeed Str 18, but I didn't add in the extra +1 from the Str bonus.

Postmodernist
2013-02-11, 08:12 PM
Interesting loot. Lots to sell, but things that look useful in general:

MWK Net- unusual, but fun. Touch attack basically counters nonproficiency. Maybe something for Grimmy using non-lethally?

Poisoned shuriken- presumably the same poison I got hit with. Useful, but people with high Strength scores we want reduced often have high Fort saves.

Tindersticks/Caltrops/Smokesticks/Tanglefoot bags/antitoxin: can never have enough, frankly.

Transmutation stuff: utility depends on identification. Alter self potion? Not sure on amulet.

Illusion stuff: dust of disappearance is a good guess, and useful. Potion is anyone's guess, but invisibility can't hurt.

Cloak and Ring: abjuration usually indicates protection, so useful there in general.

Potion of fly: YES. Turn Daiya/Shard/Grimmy into flying death machines. Xaxhan laughs from on high as he buffs the party and debuffs his foes while his Dragonmark protects him from ranged weapons. This will see use.

Gaseous form: see above.

Cure potions: always awesome.

In general, fodder to sell, with a few consumables and things it wouldn't hurt to hang onto. Daiya is probably most in need of AC, so she should get the defensive items. Comments?

MoleMage
2013-02-11, 10:47 PM
Pretty good summary there. Should we wake up the wizard and see what he can tell us? Stabilize and tie him up at least.

Postmodernist
2013-02-11, 10:54 PM
Pretty good summary there. Should we wake up the wizard and see what he can tell us? Stabilize and tie him up at least.

Gag him afterward, too.

MoleMage
2013-02-11, 11:30 PM
After he's done talking, yeah. Actually, before, then explain exactly what happens if he tries to cast a spell while he's on that boat. I've got Shocking Grasp, and I'd bet he's got the spellcraft check to recognize me casting it...especially if I make it nice and obvious.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-12, 12:55 AM
Far as I'm concerned we can let him bleed to death. Just one more guy looking for revenge, plus he has nasty spells. We can figure out the items on our own anyway for a small material cost.

Postmodernist
2013-02-12, 01:09 AM
Far as I'm concerned we can let him bleed to death. Just one more guy looking for revenge, plus he has nasty spells. We can figure out the items on our own anyway for a small material cost.

That works, too. Of course, there's no guarantee he'll come looking for revenge. We could befriend him in some sort of unlikely fashion. But I'm fine letting him die. We know a hefty chunk of the useful items, particularly the consumables, and since we have a few days to Dreadhold, Daiya could cast a couple of Identify spells if necessary. Perhaps we've lucked out and some of the jewelry contains pearls we could use for the material component.

TekHed
2013-02-12, 01:16 AM
Just a thought that being able to turn into gaseous form might really help Shard overcome his stealth difficulties...

TheFallenOne
2013-02-12, 01:18 AM
Well, we had some foresight and bought half a dozen pearls preemptively from our last haul. Quite useful as we can now make proper use of the things we pick up here or in the middle of Dreadhold instead of waiting for the next time we enter a city.

From the two forcefields stopping the first attack on the caster I'm pretty sure one item is a Ring of Protection.

MoleMage
2013-02-12, 01:44 AM
Well, we had some foresight and bought half a dozen pearls preemptively from our last haul. Quite useful as we can now make proper use of the things we pick up here or in the middle of Dreadhold instead of waiting for the next time we enter a city.

From the two forcefields stopping the first attack on the caster I'm pretty sure one item is a Ring of Protection.

Deflection bonus to AC is best bonus to AC.

I'll prepare protection during our journey. But we need to prioritize, since we do have a finite supply of pearls. Ring, Cloak, and Amulet are the highest I think.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-12, 01:49 AM
Yeah, always prioritize permanent items. Let's see what these three are.

Sallera
2013-02-12, 01:57 PM
The mage isn't actually bleeding out; he stabilized on his own.

Ring of Protection +1
Cloak of Resistance +1
Amulet of Natural Armor +1

TheFallenOne
2013-02-12, 04:08 PM
Well, I already got each of these bonus types. Any takers?

TekHed
2013-02-12, 04:21 PM
Shard could go for resistance. Daiya should armor up...

Postmodernist
2013-02-12, 08:15 PM
Xaxhan certainly wouldn't sneeze at any of these items, but he's already got his cloak spot filled.

MoleMage
2013-02-12, 10:19 PM
Ring of Protection for Daiya would be much obliged. She's got an Amulet of Health +2 which I think is probably better than the Natural Armor +1, so Xaxhan or Shard can have it (it's enhancement bonus, which means it stacks with pre-existing natural armor such as that from templates or race).

Sallera
2013-02-12, 10:35 PM
No spellbook to be found. His other stuff's already been listed.

Postmodernist
2013-02-12, 10:47 PM
So the amulet would stack with, say, a particularly popular Alter Self form with high NA?

TekHed
2013-02-13, 12:09 AM
That is correct. Go for it if you want Posty.

Postmodernist
2013-02-13, 01:19 AM
Wohhoo. Adding it on now.

TekHed
2013-02-13, 01:48 AM
Same for Shard with the Cloak...hey his first piece of non-crystal adornment and it's pretty flash!

Sallera
2013-02-14, 06:13 PM
Tek, even if Shard doesn't technically sleep, he still can't serve as an effective watch while he's trancing.

Proper update later.

TekHed
2013-02-14, 06:28 PM
I know....

TheFallenOne
2013-02-15, 02:07 AM
I was wondering when Shard's excessive weight would start to make an impact. It's a wonder he didn't snap my ropes when climbing, or even crash through some wooden floor.

Hm, wondering if I should do another wartime flashback here during the five day travel.

TekHed
2013-02-15, 02:15 AM
I upped Shard's weight after looking at the density of quartz and applying it to the volume of a human body...:smalltongue:

Sallera
2013-02-15, 10:31 AM
Yeah, that might be a bit much. Shard's shell isn't solid all the way through, is it? 500 might be more appropriate.

TekHed
2013-02-15, 11:48 AM
Solid yes, plus the armor is considered part of him as well.

Sallera
2013-02-15, 12:40 PM
Nonetheless, half a ton on two feet is quite impractical, and as Fallen says, really starts to strain suspension of disbelief. Unless you really want to be incapable of visiting the second floor of a building, 500 would be more appropriate. I would expect a creature of mobile crystal to be made of something less dense anyway.

TekHed
2013-02-15, 12:50 PM
Eh. If you insist. I approached the number from real life extrapolations but its all magic anyhow.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-15, 02:30 PM
Quartz doesn't have that high a density though, just 2.65 times the one of water. Crystal has a lower density than metals, so a Warforged made of iron, stone and some wood should in the end weight more or at least not significantly less than Shard(then again, I would estimate the Warforged base weight of 270 is a tad on the low side).

TekHed
2013-02-15, 03:03 PM
The math added up when I did it before. I can edit it back down to 500 though if I am straining verisimilitude.

Sallera
2013-02-15, 03:16 PM
I always figured a warforged wasn't actually solid metal, either; though I agree that 270 seems a bit low, if you cut one in half, I imagine you'd see a fair bit of open space scattered about between a steel faux skeletal structure and the connecting ligament and muscle equivalents. Wood for the 'flesh' areas to keep things light and reduce strain, some air gaps around the moving parts so joints don't get crushed, since they won't have quite the same cushioning and lubrication as a flesh body.... As I understand them, warforged move and function mostly through artifice, with the spirit primarily providing animation and intelligence, so I figure their internals would resemble a model of a human body more than Shard's walking statue.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-15, 04:11 PM
I imagine it like that as well; most machinery has a notable amount of empty space inside, and hey, since forged can use potions those have to go somewhere. Still, given the density of iron the skeletal framework alone should have a good weight to it, then the armor plating and other stuff... I'd probably put at least another 50 pounds on top of the ECS vital statistics.

The interesting part with using wood to fill space while saving weight is that the book goes out of its way to say it is Darkwood, which has half the weight but the same stability, which fits that purpose perfectly.

But if indeed lots of Darkwood is used for filling space that would noticably up the raw material cost of the most basic Warforged. I always wondered how much it cost to make one unit and I don't recall the books giving a clear answer. Probably so players don't go around scrapping any Warforged they kill and selling the parts. There should be a decent amount of money in an Adamantine Body forged for one.

TekHed
2013-02-15, 04:34 PM
I imagine potions get soaked up into the wooden parts of the frame.

When I was looking at Shard, I looked up the volume of a human body and the weight of crystal by volume which is how I got the number.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-15, 04:46 PM
That's really more complicated than it needs to be, as figuring out the volume of a human body of a certain build isn't quite easy.

The average density of the human body is reasonably close to water, as you can float without much effort but also sink without wearing cement shoes. Quartz has 2.65 that weight.

From there you just need to know what a human with the same build and size as Shard would weight, and multiply it by 2.65. That's for pure crystal throughout the entire body, so you should correct a bit downward. Add another 25 pounds(half the weight of a steel fullplate) and you got a decently accurate estimate of Shard's weight.

TekHed
2013-02-15, 04:49 PM
Consider that Shard's armor isn't just fullplate but actually extra bulk on it's body that is solid all the way through. If we start with a solid 350 lbs then multiply x2.65 it comes out to being 927.5, which I rounded.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-15, 04:57 PM
350 is excessive for a 6 ft guy. Even the very voluminous and broad prowestlers come in at way less(John Cena, 6'1", 251 according to wikipedia). And there's no reason to round up unless not only there is zero empty space, but there are actually other, denser materials mixed into the quartz.

TekHed
2013-02-15, 05:11 PM
again consider the bulk of the armor n top of a voluminous person as if it were solid all the way through. Also Shard is not necessarily quartz but I used that as a reference point.

MoleMage
2013-02-15, 07:31 PM
350 lbs is really hard to accomplish. Like...qualifies for special medical equipment for being too heavy. Fallen is right, 250 at around 6' is already plenty big. Multiplied by 2.5 and just add the weight of full plate if that's what your integrated armor is worth. Sure your crystal might not be as heavy as steel, but if you just add the weight then it approximates the extra mass required to get the same defense from a lighter material (not in any technical sense, just for the sake of laziness).

TekHed
2013-02-15, 08:44 PM
I think you are underestimating the weight of a chunk of crystal that large.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-16, 01:55 AM
I give up. We tried showing you how to arrive at a realistic assessment of Shard's weight, but apparently 'damn heavy' is more important than 'realistic'.

Um, Sallera, shouldn't it be five crates with Drasil?

TekHed
2013-02-16, 02:11 AM
I changed it back to 500 which is what it was originally. All I'm saying is that one day I got curious and tried to work it out and it came to somewhere between 900-1000 lbs. :shrug:

Anyways, won't the potion of gaseous form work like a charm?

Postmodernist
2013-02-16, 10:36 AM
I love the idea that you guys are debating about the hypothetical weight of a magical fictional dude made of crystal. D&D has an exceptional capacity to bring ridiculous debates to the fore.

What's important here is that Shard is really fat, and needs to go on a diet. This will be difficult, since he already doesn't eat anything.

Yeah, potion of gaseous form will be useful here.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-16, 12:31 PM
The problem with the potion is the 10 minute duration. Any delay they have while transporting the crates could reveal us. It's a risk we can take, but still a chance to make things go horribly wrong.

Postmodernist
2013-02-17, 11:28 AM
Worst case scenario, Shard escapes the box in gaseous form and hides somewhere, and we rendezvous. Being gaseous doesn't preclude speech or communication, so we could devise some sort of plan. Alternately, is there a plausible means of transporting Shard to the prison? We could always claim that he's a warforged prisoner, here to tirelessly toil in the mines.

TekHed
2013-02-18, 04:01 AM
Is the cell locked? What next?

Oh, and heads up...we only have 6 more posts left for page 50 of our first IC thread!

Sallera
2013-02-18, 11:36 AM
You'd have to get out and check to find out, but given that you're effectively in the pantry, chances are low. On the other hand, it is the pantry in Dreadhold.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-18, 12:01 PM
Did they mention any specific plan on how we get back onto the ship? Those guards and the ballista in particular sound troublesome. If they pierce our hull we're in obvious trouble.

Sallera
2013-02-18, 12:29 PM
They did not, no; even they didn't really know what was in the dock area.

The ballista would certainly be a good thing to deal with on your way out, yes.

Sallera
2013-02-18, 12:47 PM
Alright, I'll start combat in the new thread tonight.

Postmodernist
2013-02-18, 12:53 PM
Since DFI is out, I'll stick with IC. Speaking of bard stuff, should Xaxhan be singing at all, since this is a stealthy operation?

TheFallenOne
2013-02-18, 01:01 PM
I would imagine the sound of combat and the guards shouting will be louder than a bit of singing anyway. IC helps taking them down faster, which I surmise lowers the chance of detection.

TekHed
2013-02-18, 05:32 PM
Only one post left on page 50...either Posty can take it or we Sal can use it to post a link to the new IC thread...

Might I take this opportunity to congratulate all of us on such a long running and successful PbP game, and a special thanks to Sal for being our tireless and fearless leader (and for putting up with me. :smallwink:)

Sal...would you allow me to have spent the 5 day journey researching the Vigor Power?