PDA

View Full Version : Eyes of the Lich Queen OOC II

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Sallera
2013-02-18, 06:04 PM
The description specifies that the one-week period must be uninterrupted, so no.

Also, stealth is not something that you can take 20 on.

TekHed
2013-02-18, 07:09 PM
Ah, I was hoping you would consider a 5 day work week sufficient. :smalltongue:

Can I take 10? I figure if he foes reaaaaaally slow and careful Shard would be able to make less of a racket.

Sallera
2013-02-18, 07:14 PM
Taking 10 is possible, yes. You can't take 20 because that option can't be used on any check with consequences for failure (in this case, being noticed).

MoleMage
2013-02-18, 07:21 PM
Essentially, taking 10 is making sure to be extra careful and not take unnecessary risks. Taking 20 is just trying as much as you can until you succeed or realize that you're incapable of succeeding.

Obviously, you can't do the latter in certain cases.

(Probably redundant explanation, but I find that hearing the "why" of certain rules makes them easier to remember long term).

Postmodernist
2013-02-18, 07:41 PM
So, not to completely change our plan at the last minute...

How would people feel about a simple Charm Person? If we're not immediately threatening, we could probably "take out" the Kundarak guards without conflict. Thoughts? I'll make a post once there's a consensus.

TekHed
2013-02-18, 08:34 PM
...NOT having to fight our way through Dreadhold, at least at first is probably a good idea. The longer we can go before an alarm is sounded and the place gets locked down and reinforced the better. Of course eventually we want to cause a ruckus so they think it's the Claw responsible (in our shiny new insignia), but ideally we do so AFTER we have Thraxis well in hand...

Postmodernist
2013-02-18, 11:28 PM
BLUFF: CHARM PERSON FOR PEOPLE WITHOUT SPELLS.

Seriously, though, I may have to drop a Charm Person.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-19, 04:05 AM
How is one Charm Person supposed to solve this when there are two guards? That ship has sailed, we could have tried a nonviolent infiltration if we went for Could Reaver dress instead of Emerald Claw.

Also, second thread, huzzah!

TekHed
2013-02-19, 07:11 AM
Yeah a bunch of Emerald Claw coming out of a what was thought to be an unoccupied storeroom recently loaded with crates...there is bluffing and then there is total bullish!t. :smalltongue:

Do you really want to waste our surprise round bluffing? My guess is Grimmgang and Drasil are just going to pounce them...

Too bad there is no mechanic in DnD for "Stealth kill" or "takedown." Opening the doors, knocking them both unconscious or coup de gracing them by slitting their throats and dragging them back in the room so we can keep sneaking out quiet-like would be great...but I just don't think DnD allows for such tactics.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-19, 07:17 AM
Well, coup de grace on a non-helpless foe would just lead to widespread stealth/invisibility abuse.

And that's way too much talk for a single round or even surprise round anyway. Just beat them up.

I'm actually thinking I'll try a DC 25 Tumble to move past them. With the short distance I can't get Skirmish anyway and if I succeed I free up a spot so someone else can enter melee too.
[roll0] aww

TekHed
2013-02-19, 07:37 AM
Stealth is a potent tactic to be sure, and there is a reason that it is often the best way to approach a situation is games that allow it (I'm thinking of Deus Ex, Dishonored, Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear, and the Crysis games in particular).

In a "canned" experience like a video game, such choices have meaning for the story, and if the developer wants to force a fight they can always structure the levels such that there are areas that can't be stealthed (though that usually goes against the choice aspect most video games strive to achieve). When it is just a single player experience balance is not as crucial except as how it relates to obstacles.

I know the wide-open nature of an RPG (even one using a module) can't allow such a prodigious advantage for reasons of game balance. Or maybe it can in the right system, but DnD is just not that. Games are always evolving too. Maybe someone will figure out a way to incorporate those different "play styles" into a tabletop game someday.

Sallera
2013-02-19, 12:51 PM
Really, Hide and Sneak Attack are meant to represent exactly that, when used appropriately. Add in Ambush feats for extra versatility.

TekHed
2013-02-19, 04:17 PM
...which means you have to be specialized for that. There is no option for a fighter who just wants to garrote somebody...

...Posty are you going to change your action in light of it making no sense with our plan and costuming?

Postmodernist
2013-02-19, 07:34 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4UADE9Jbm8) or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMeesE4Nlhg) was what I was going for, but I guess it didn't work.

Xaxhan will be changing his action as comically as possible.

EDIT: "aberrant stained glass window" is the best insult for Shard yet.

Postmodernist
2013-02-19, 08:19 PM
How is one Charm Person supposed to solve this when there are two guards? That ship has sailed, we could have tried a nonviolent infiltration if we went for Could Reaver dress instead of Emerald Claw.

Also, second thread, huzzah!

The idea would have been to Charm one, ideally one more highly ranked, who would then convince the other.

But, yeah, huzzah, new thread!

TheFallenOne
2013-02-20, 05:45 AM
"aberrant stained glass window" is the best insult for Shard yet.

That was indeed glorious. And it confirms my conviction not to kill them. How can you remove such an awesome quipper from the world?

Tek, your surprise round. I fell back so you can go into melee if you want.

TekHed
2013-02-20, 05:53 AM
Are we going for nonlethal? Might be out of character for the Claw (and Shard's BAB isn't stellar even with the -4).

Will check the map in a bit. I was going to D-Hop to flank them but if Grimm made room that works too...

MoleMage
2013-02-20, 03:46 PM
Well, I went for Hold Person, but you know...dwarf. So this might not work.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-20, 03:56 PM
You really don't want the represantative of a Dragonmarked house unless you absolutely, absolutely have to.

I really wonder what is supposed to happen in the module if a PC is a member of house Kundarak himself and says 'Over my dead body' to the whole raid.

Sallera
2013-02-20, 04:10 PM
You answered that question yourself, a fair while back. :3 The prison raid is certainly assumed by the module, but it's not essential.

Sallera
2013-02-21, 11:59 AM
Tek, are you going to take an action?

TekHed
2013-02-21, 12:42 PM
Yes. Crazy week so far.

Can the other players verify that we are trying to go non-lethal? I feel like that is something we would have discussed on the trip here...

MoleMage
2013-02-21, 02:18 PM
We are going non-lethal for these two at least. Cloudreavers are open game though.

Related note: can a coup-de-grace deal nonlethal damage? The rules just say it's an automatic critical hit.

Sallera
2013-02-21, 02:23 PM
You can perform a nonlethal coup de grace, but I believe it still forces the death save. Don't see any mention of it in the SRD, so the specifics might be in the RC.

MoleMage
2013-02-21, 07:29 PM
So really a non-lethal coup de grace is just a save-or-die with a nasty DC. So let's not try that strategy. We can always spend a couple rounds using regular non-lethal attacks to bludgeon someone into unconsciousness if we have to.

TekHed
2013-02-21, 08:18 PM
It doesn't make sense that a non-lethal attack should force a save-or-die.

...post incoming.

TekHed
2013-02-21, 08:43 PM
Hmm...not the best roll (even considering the -4 penalty to the defender for it not being a melee weapon).

Will spend an AP: [roll0] D'oh!

Sallera
2013-02-21, 08:53 PM
A coup de grace is, by definition, a lethal attack. The defender's helplessness just allows you to use traditionally nonlethal methods to carry it out.

Edit: Tek, you only get a move or standard in a surprise round, not both.

TekHed
2013-02-21, 09:54 PM
A coup de grace is, by definition, a lethal attack. The defender's helplessness just allows you to use traditionally nonlethal methods to carry it out.

Edit: Tek, you only get a move or standard in a surprise round, not both.

I ALWAYS forget that!

I guess I will just move up then. Does that mean I can take back the AP and PP I just spent? Maybe if I act before them next round I can still get my disarm off while they are flatfooted.

Postmodernist
2013-02-21, 11:55 PM
Hmmm... That got messy quickly. I take full blame for that one. The whistle is bad, so we need to shut them down. I'm thinking tanglefoot bags?

Silver lining: they specifically said "Claw," so the disguises worked. We let these guys live and we've provided a credible report of our enemies attacking House Kundarak. Huzzah!

TekHed
2013-02-22, 12:39 AM
I guess we lost initiative then.

Question: does it not pose a flaw in our disguise attempt if we are using non-lethal attacks? That seems out of character for the claw. If they have any decent investigators this fact might cause them to question our ruse...

Postmodernist
2013-02-22, 01:25 AM
It's not a problem at all. While not outright killing them might seem unusual for the Claw, so is attacking Kundarak. Thus, it'll appear as though the Claw is being cautious for some weird reason, so they sent their most disciplined soldiers to perform some mission.

Postmodernist
2013-02-24, 07:29 PM
So, I know Tek said he's been busy, but it's been almost 72 hours since his last post. Do we NPC him for a round or what?

TekHed
2013-02-24, 07:49 PM
Is it my turn again? I've been so out of it sick for 4 days, thought Id posted already.

TekHed
2013-02-24, 10:14 PM
Let's see if I can confirm that crit!

[roll0] That's probably good enough to not blow an AP on...

[roll1]

Postmodernist
2013-02-24, 10:25 PM
You know that nonlethal damage becomes lethal on someone with 0 HP, right? How mad will Grimmgang be if we beat the Kundarak soldiers to death?

TekHed
2013-02-24, 10:43 PM
It's not my fault! The dice made me do it. :smalltongue:

Sallera
2013-02-25, 12:08 AM
Where did you get that from, Posty? It may seem logical, but it doesn't sound familiar.

Edit: Also, Tek, the Deep Crystal bonus is extra dice, and thus isn't multiplied on a crit.

TekHed
2013-02-25, 12:39 AM
Sal, the wording of it makes it sound like it adds to the base damage to the weapon...it is untyped as opposed to being an extra 2d6 of fire or electricity or whatever, and it isn't tacked on to the end like precision or velocity based add ons.

For 2 power points, the deep crystal weapon deals an extra 2d6 points of damage

That to me implies that the weapon itself does more damage as it is a property of the weapon ('s material) itself...

Still, if you inset: [roll0]

Edit: Also that whistle is bad news...

Sallera
2013-02-25, 12:44 AM
That 'weapon deals an extra 2d6 points of damage' is the same wording used in, e.g., a Holy weapon. It's not base damage.

Postmodernist
2013-02-25, 12:51 AM
Where did you get that from, Posty? It may seem logical, but it doesn't sound familiar.

Edit: Also, Tek, the Deep Crystal bonus is extra dice, and thus isn't multiplied on a crit.

I'm not sure, can't find my source on the SRD. This may have been an old house rule, or a hold over from earlier editions. I'm researching more thoroughly now.

EDIT: Doesn't Daiya do 3 more damage from IC on that AOO?

DOUBLE EDIT: I think it's a weird displacement on my part from the environmental damage rules. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm) Those state that if you pass out from nonlethal environmental damage, it becomes lethal.

To wit:

Cold and exposure deal nonlethal damage to the victim. This nonlethal damage cannot be recovered until the character gets out of the cold and warms up again. Once a character is rendered unconscious through the accumulation of nonlethal damage, the cold and exposure begins to deal lethal damage at the same rate.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-25, 06:20 AM
Do these guys have that many HP? :smallconfused: Grimm did 36, Shard 34, I didn't expect it takes both of us to finish one of them.

TekHed
2013-02-25, 07:29 AM
Well they may be pantry-guards, but they're Dreadhold pantry guards...

TekHed
2013-02-26, 01:34 PM
Hey Fallen, looks like you missed it but Shard already D-hopped to B2 and cut the guy off. ...

Postmodernist
2013-02-27, 12:15 AM
I think it's rather reasonable for Grimmgang to make the Use Rope check to bind the guards, since he's been practicing. We should try and hide them as best as possible.

Shall we head toward the forge area? Is there anything else we need to do?

EDIT: Besides looting our hapless foes, obviously.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-27, 08:34 AM
sadly all this practice didn't actually improve my Use Rope unless I put ranks into it(crossclass no less), which of course I won't :smalltongue:

Off to the forge!

Sallera
2013-02-28, 11:59 AM
Bother, just realized I missed something obvious. Tek, Shard's teleport attempt there would have failed. Doesn't affect the outcome of the fight, but probably something you'll want to keep in mind as you proceed.

TekHed
2013-02-28, 12:11 PM
Dreadhold is a no-teleport zone?

Its cute when you say 'Bother' like that Sal...reminds me of The Pooh.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-28, 01:07 PM
Hm, interesting... I just hope they only have teleport prevention, not detection. That would certainly provoke a reaction when they detect that.

Sallera
2013-03-01, 01:03 AM
Guard loot:
4 thunderstones
3 tanglefoot bags
2 potions (faint conjuration)
2 masterwork battleaxes
2 masterwork kukris
2 masterwork spiked heavy steel shields
2 potions (unknown aura)
2 gold torcs
54g, 31s

And technically two sets of masterwork chainmail, as well, but I'm guessing you didn't waste the time needed to remove those.

Postmodernist
2013-03-01, 01:28 AM
Reflex save vs. Web: [roll0]

TheFallenOne
2013-03-01, 06:58 AM
Grimmgang [roll0]
Drasil [roll1]

TheFallenOne
2013-03-02, 11:30 AM
Tek, you're up.

Well, how to get out of that one... Web's a nasty one even if you make the save. I see though two ways to get through it fast.

Chancy one, Dispel Magic from Xaxhan.
More reliable: I drop an Alchemist's Fire in A4/B5, freeing Daiya, Drasil, Grimmy and Xaxhan. Daiya uses Scorching Ray on C4 and D4 and boom, free path.

I could also smash the alchemist's fire against my own chest to get a bigger splash area ^^

Postmodernist
2013-03-02, 11:56 AM
We could also simply attack from range, although that's problematic since our target would have cover. Of course, we'd also have cover from him. I could cast Dispel, but a third level spell seems a high cost for that. We could trudge through it in about a round or so; Daiya and Shard can probably teleport through it with minimal effort, Xaxhan could get to the edge with his Anklets of Translocation.

Sallera
2013-03-02, 03:46 PM
Remember that teleportation is blocked in Dreadhold, though. Burning the Web is certainly viable, but it takes one round to finish as per the spell description.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-02, 05:28 PM
Hm, so our casters need a DC 15 Concentration check for spells no matter what we do... Well, I'll go through with it. With teleportation blocked getting through the Web would take way too long even with decent Strength checks.

TekHed
2013-03-02, 06:16 PM
Just before the 7 minute duration expired, Shard would have reupped his Force Screen for another 7 minutes (though not Prot from Evil at this point).

Ref save (not that it matters but just to see): [roll0]

Maneuvers:

[roll1] Crusader's Strike
[roll2] Vanguard Strike
[roll3] Mountain Hammer
[roll4] Stone Bones
Shield Block

Postmodernist
2013-03-02, 06:22 PM
Forgot that teleportation is not available in Dreadhold. Xaxhan could probably make the concentration check, since Melodic Casting allows him to use his perform checks. Movement will be a pain, but if we stick around (web puns!) for another round, Xaxhan will just IC or DFI. This might be one of the few instances in which it's better to have fire as a DFI energy source.

Anyway, I'm for burning the web. Use this round to buff up whatever.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-02, 06:27 PM
Well, Shard is the only one to act now, let's see what the smith does. But unless he piles on some serious hurt I'm gonna tank the 2d6+2d4 for targetting myself with the fire. His 'This guy is nuts' reaction I hope for will be worth it.

There'll be one square of Web left in the way, so I hope for a little fire from Daiya as well.

TekHed
2013-03-02, 06:36 PM
Travel Domain FTW!

Shard still can't hit for crap without serious buffs or plain luck though, something I hope to remedy over the next few levels.

Postmodernist
2013-03-02, 06:48 PM
Does anyone else have a vial of alchemist's fire or the equivalent? I hate to see Daiya blow Scorching Ray on a Web.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-02, 06:55 PM
You really should bring some alchemicals as backup. Looking at your sheets, both Shard and Xaxhan would be utterly helpless against swarms with immunity to weapon damage. Well, except repeatedly Sound Bursting them if one wants to count that.

Postmodernist
2013-03-02, 07:06 PM
I usually do carry them, but DFI would work against swarms, right?

MoleMage
2013-03-02, 07:39 PM
Daiya Reflex saving:
[roll0]

Whew, just made it.
And I've got a couple alchemist fires too so I'll soak the 2d4 for burning away my square with the fire.

TekHed
2013-03-02, 08:02 PM
Sound Burst would hurt me... :(

At least until I get enough weeks of downtime to research Concussive Detonation (Sal are we EVER going to have substantial downtown or is the whole module a race against time?).

I am happy to take recommendations for my kit though...can add it to Shard's long list of desired upgrades/gear.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-02, 08:20 PM
Daiya Reflex saving:
[roll0]

Whew, just made it.
And I've got a couple alchemist fires too so I'll soak the 2d4 for burning away my square with the fire.

The splash from my fire will already take care of that, you just need to get D4 out of the way.

Postmodernist
2013-03-02, 08:35 PM
Are we trying to subdue this guy? I noticed that Shard went non-lethal for his attack. If so, I'll go IC instead of my intended DFI. Speak now.

Sallera
2013-03-02, 10:54 PM
Regarding downtime, you are being paid for your time, and there's the matter of resolving your little curse problem as well. Your frequent sea journeys provide a fair bit of downtime, but if you're expecting several weeks in a row... well, I'm sure you can see how impractical that would be, given your situation.

TekHed
2013-03-03, 12:44 AM
I need a week to research vigor. The rest of the research will take longer, so may not be able to do in this campaign. Hopefully everyone will want to continue after the module.:smallsmile:

Postmodernist
2013-03-03, 12:46 AM
Of course we'll continue. How else will Xaxhan become Pirate King of Khorvaire?

TekHed
2013-03-04, 02:20 AM
I'd love to visit Sarlona (seems to be the least used setting).

Sal, remind about corners...if Shard 5 foot steps up can he try and hit the Smith again?

Need backup gang!

Postmodernist
2013-03-04, 02:39 AM
Sarlona got a whole sourcebook. Aerenal didn't get anything, so that seems to be the least used.

Postmodernist
2013-03-04, 02:57 AM
Apparently, I forgot to mention that I activated IC for +3/+3 to everyone, though now it seems like DFI might have been a better idea since Shard is swinging to kill.

That spell is nasty, and I've never seen it before.

[roll0]
[roll1]
Action Point. I want out of this.

Oh, for Pete's sake...

TekHed
2013-03-04, 03:10 AM
Sarlona got a whole sourcebook. Aerenal didn't get anything, so that seems to be the least used.

Ah yes I stand corrected. I actually came up with an idea for an Aerenal game but couldn't find a DM for it. Still I've never seen a game advertised for Sarlona either, and Shard is tied to it.

I know my time-travel background is controversial but I wish I could bring more of it in to give more depth to Shard's character and mission.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-04, 05:19 AM
Grimmgang [roll0]
Drasil [roll1]

TheFallenOne
2013-03-04, 05:23 AM
Action Point [roll0] :smallsigh:

is the check for leaving a square, or for entering a square?

Sal, remind about corners...if Shard 5 foot steps up can he try and hit the Smith again?

yes, but the box gives cover.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-04, 06:42 AM
Wait, how high is the wall?

If it is just 5 feet, and the ceiling is 10+feet I can easier escape by climbing. In that case I remove my shield this turn instead of making a strength check.

TekHed
2013-03-04, 06:47 AM
yeesh...cover AND 3 multiple images? What I wouldn't give right now for an AoE...

TekHed
2013-03-04, 06:54 AM
Rolling to Confirm:[roll0]
[roll1]

Wow...that will be nice...assuming I don't whiff...which I probably will...:smallsigh:

TheFallenOne
2013-03-04, 07:54 AM
Whiffing may be better. If you end up killing him Grimmgang will be quite angry...

Sallera
2013-03-04, 11:25 AM
On the bright side, you're no longer on fire.

The check is for entering a square. Wall is 10ft high, roughly the same as the ceiling.

TekHed
2013-03-04, 02:16 PM
At least it will add verisimilitude to our ruse...

MoleMage
2013-03-04, 02:34 PM
Strength check to advance.

I don't like this Wall of Sand. I have Still Spell, not Silent Spell.

Gonna try and hold this jerk once I push free.

[roll]1d6
Action Point.

MoleMage
2013-03-04, 02:37 PM
[roll0]

Action point because I forgot you can't edit rolls in.

Sallera
2013-03-04, 02:54 PM
Given that even a 6 on that AP wouldn't have allowed you to advance any distance (you need at least a 15), you can take it back, if you like.

Postmodernist
2013-03-04, 03:16 PM
Given that even a 6 on that AP wouldn't have allowed you to advance any distance (you need at least a 15), you can take it back, if you like.

I was about to ask about this, as the wording I a bit confusing. So, minimum 15 to move 5 feet. This spell is nasty, particularly against wimpy spellcasters.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-04, 03:17 PM
On the bright side, you're no longer on fire.

You know things are dire when you're inclined to say 'Can I just be on fire again, please?'

TekHed
2013-03-04, 03:37 PM
I'll hold out as long as I can guys!

MoleMage
2013-03-04, 06:11 PM
I take the action point back, and just read my IC post as meaning "inches" rather than "one square" (disregard the intent for motion).

TekHed
2013-03-04, 08:07 PM
Just making a note: 4 rounds of IC left for Shard.

TekHed
2013-03-04, 11:55 PM
Sal, Shard's travel domain will activate automatically nullifying the snake's grapple, allowing Shard to proceed...could you please edit accordingly? Will mark another round off my sheet (2 left).

Postmodernist
2013-03-04, 11:58 PM
Attempt #2 to escape:

[roll0]

Postmodernist
2013-03-05, 12:13 AM
Success! Sal, I'm assuming that there's no wall in A6, but it's tough to tell on the map. If I'm wrong, I may modify my move so that it isn't completely useless. Otherwise, Dispel Magic is forthcoming, lads.

Question: I'm assuming this guy is an artificer, what with being a dwarf, the construct, and all the scrolls. How does dispelling work against them, since they use a higher level for item creation and use? Basically, do I have even a remote chance of dispelling this, even with an AP?

TheFallenOne
2013-03-05, 05:05 AM
Grimmgang [roll0]
Drasil [roll1]

Sallera
2013-03-05, 11:16 AM
The 6 row is a wall at that end, but you can get out by moving backward to A'5. Will correct Shard's position later, but the attack hit an image. And artificers don't actually have an effective CL any higher for spell usage, they just cheat for spell requirements.

Edit: And Shard, you only have 1 round left. Theurge doesn't count for your domain abilities.

Sallera
2013-03-05, 11:23 AM
Snake, for its turn, will attempt to grapple Shard again.
Touch: [roll0]
Grapple: [roll1]
Damage: Not happening

TekHed
2013-03-05, 01:56 PM
Edit: And Shard, you only have 1 round left. Theurge doesn't count for your domain abilities.

That SUCKS Sal. It advances my domain spells known (that was the WHOLE point of reworking my domains so I wouldn't have to waste powers known on psionic flight etc.) so I would say that's a good argument that it should count for the domain abilities as well. If PT isn't going to advance the Domains then my build just got f---ed. Again. Please reconsider.

Either way it will activate again letting Shard slip the grapple.

Sallera
2013-03-05, 01:59 PM
I said nothing about it not advancing your domain spells. But like all the other theurge classes, advancing spellcasting doesn't advance other class features, and the domain ability specifies cleric levels, not caster levels.

MoleMage
2013-03-05, 02:30 PM
[roll0]

C'mon, lemme move forward.

DAMN MY UNDERSPECIALIZATION!

Sallera
2013-03-05, 02:31 PM
In this case, I'd lend the blame more to the fact that your dice apparently hate you.

TekHed
2013-03-05, 02:49 PM
So, Shard used his last (grr) FoM, moved to position, destroyed an illusion and now I have a 1 in 3 chance of hitting this guy?

Meanwhile Xax is free and is going to try and dispel the Sand, because otherwise I don't know that Shard can hold out much longer against this guy and his trixy-tricks...and you guys seem to be hosed on those Strength checks. Nasty nasty spell.

Sallera
2013-03-05, 03:53 PM
Correct. I did note the new positions in the IC post, if you want to post an action.

Postmodernist
2013-03-05, 07:17 PM
The 6 row is a wall at that end, but you can get out by moving backward to A'5. Will correct Shard's position later, but the attack hit an image. And artificers don't actually have an effective CL any higher for spell usage, they just cheat for spell requirements.

Gotcha. Move Xaxhan to the appropriate location, then.

Sallera
2013-03-05, 11:22 PM
Oh, Tek, I noticed Shard will still have one round of FoM left; the second round triggered on your turn, so it would have blocked both grapples.

TekHed
2013-03-05, 11:54 PM
Sweet...thanks Sal.

Confirming:

[roll0]
[roll1]

TheFallenOne
2013-03-06, 05:55 AM
I will delay to see if Dispel works. If not
[roll0]
[roll1]

How'd you get +8 on damage Tek? :smallconfused: You usually have +4, and another +1 from Counterstrike.

Postmodernist
2013-03-06, 08:46 AM
Inspire Courage gives +3.

Postmodernist
2013-03-06, 08:54 AM
Aaaand I screwed up my syntax and the forums ate my roll. Please advise, Sal.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-06, 08:55 AM
Oh right, it lasts another 5 turns after the sand started suffocating you. My bad.

Postmodernist
2013-03-06, 09:26 AM
Rerolling here, post shower/coffee and inevitable "duh" response:

Dispel Check[roll0]
AP: [roll1]

Postmodernist
2013-03-06, 09:27 AM
Wow. I am not typing properly today.

[roll0]

Postmodernist
2013-03-06, 09:29 AM

[roll0]

Sallera
2013-03-06, 11:00 AM
16's a little short, sorry.

Postmodernist
2013-03-06, 11:31 AM
I figured. Wall of sand looks to be a fourth level spell, so CL of at least 7, DC around 18. If I could roll above a seven on a d20 or a one on a d6, I could probbably get it. Keep trying to push trough, guys. I'll take another shot at it.

MoleMage
2013-03-06, 05:19 PM
Another round of strength check:

[roll0]

Postmodernist
2013-03-08, 01:03 AM
I'm going to have to try and Dispel this again. Shard should probably spend PP on that Elan save bonus thing, and any other means of boosting his saves.

EDIT: THAT SHOULD DO IT. TAKE THAT, DISPEL MAGIC CHECK.

Sallera
2013-03-08, 01:08 AM
Yeah, that'll do it.

TekHed
2013-03-08, 01:44 AM
Yep, definitely spending a power point. 50/50 shot of making it...Let's see how Shard's dice-fu holds up under pressure:

[roll0] ouch...not even an AP would make that up.

Can't figure out which spell he used...

TekHed
2013-03-08, 01:46 AM
Refreshing maneuvers:

[roll0] Vanguard Strike
[roll1] Mountain Hammer
[roll2] Stone Bones
[roll3] Shield Block
Crusader's Strike

TekHed
2013-03-09, 12:01 AM
:smalleek::smallconfused::smallfurious:

I did a search for every spell with an acid descriptor and can't find anything that a.) uses a reflex save, and b.) continues to do 6d6 acid damage per round.

I don't know if water is going to help...

Shard got taken down from full hit points to only 2 left right now in only 2 rounds.

I can spend this round to cast Bear's Endurance which will get me to 16 hit points. I can likely spend power points to stave off the remaining damage for another round (1 per every 2 soaked) but I will be quickly drained of PP and be less useful and we presumably have a long way to go before we are going to get out of Dreadhold. I have 14+4 PP left so I can probably soak another round (36 possible to soak) if I cast Bear's Endurance. I really wish I could have finished researching Vigor on the trip here...

Otherwise this may be the end of Shard...

Edit: Would a dispel work? Sal: Would casting resurgence count for this spell, allowing Shard a second save?

Edit 2: A possibility: It would kill the smith, but technically he is helpless and would fail the roll to save if Shard used Empathic Transfer to heal himself on the unconscious body. However given that Shard is not really evil this would be hard to justify. On the other hand, the Smith had no trouble casting a fatal spell either so...

What do you guys think?

TheFallenOne
2013-03-09, 05:04 AM
You can't justify anything with 'he's using lethal force'. We are attacking a prison. It's rather understandable they try to kill us, and one can't claim self defense/eye for an eye as the agressor.

The spell may just have a single turn of afterburn. If it persists we do need a Dispel indeed.

Postmodernist
2013-03-09, 11:34 AM
What if the Dispel doesn't work? Also, won't it also potentially remove any buffs Shard casts on himself?

TekHed
2013-03-09, 02:41 PM
If the spell keeps going, then it will have already eaten away the Bear's Endurance. It only costs me 1 PP to re-up my Force Screen, and I would gladly give up Longstrider if it keeps me from dying.

That said if this thing keeps going and a Dispel doesn't work...I have no idea what will...

TheFallenOne
2013-03-09, 02:45 PM
Bear's Endurance can't be 'eaten away', it doesn't give temp HP. When it ends your current HP total is reduced by 2xHD, no matter what.

I think the acid may have a single turn of afterburn. If not, Dispel seems the only option unless the spell has some special conditions to end it, like Mole's water idea.

Postmodernist
2013-03-09, 03:02 PM
Let's try and dunk Shard in some sort of water. There's got to be something nearby we can use in the smithy; don't they usually have a barrel on hand for tempering?

What about healing magic? Doesn't Shard or Daiya have anything? Xaxhan will spend a charge of his healing belt to help Shard out.

EDIT: Could a Heal check help us understand the best course of action?

TekHed
2013-03-09, 03:41 PM
I know about the Bear's Endurance...that was just to buy some time. Shard's next round is going to be to use the wand of CMW on himself, regardless of what y'all do.

Sallera
2013-03-09, 06:55 PM
Not to mention the smith was attempting to capture until Shard started trying to kill him. Wall of Sand, grapples, defensive spells, and so on. He even asked you to surrender.

TekHed
2013-03-09, 07:00 PM
How long until those in the wall of sand suffocated though? Seemed lethal at the time. Surrendering in Dreadhold of course is not an option.

Sallera
2013-03-09, 07:01 PM
It would have lasted 7 rounds if not dispelled; not long enough for even the weakest of people to suffocate.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-09, 07:02 PM
A real gentleman. Though it has to be pointed out players usually take excessive use of battlefield control way less well than a bit of hitpoint damage :smalltongue:

Well, looks like Shard narrowly escaped a bit of Karmic backlash.

Sallera
2013-03-09, 07:05 PM
Oh, forgot to list the gold amount. Edited the loot list.

Postmodernist
2013-03-09, 07:08 PM
Thanks for rolling the Healing Belt charge, Sal. Wasn't sure whether or not to wait a round and do that in-character or not.

I tend to agree with TFO- battlefield control is the best/worst part of the game. I played a Focused Conjurer once, and absolutely loved him. The party would just tear things to shreds as enemies emerged from Wall of Smoke at level one. I would make another in a heartbeat.

Shard does seem to have a temper issue. He dropped that prisoner, he drew blood against this smith guy. Maybe his 'divine retribution' thing is a serious character trait.

Do we have time to read the scrolls, or do they have to be identified? Warhammer and banded mail are a weird set, but it's safe to presume something basic like +1 enhancements. I'm curious about the wand, though.

TekHed
2013-03-09, 07:19 PM
Karmic Retribution would have been if I had used Empathic Transfer on the Smith. :smalltongue:

Oddly enough Shard almost never seems to get actually mad. And to be fair, dropping that one Claw back at the mansion was an error of post order/editing...but it seems y'all are never going to let me live that one down. :smallsigh:

As for going lethal on the smith...I got lucky. I figured Shard didn't have the leeway to risk a -4 penalty to hit, on top of the multiple images...then I got some crazy good crit rolls and got lucky twice in actually hitting him and not the images. Both IC and OOC I figured getting captured was just as bad as getting dead, considering we might never be able to escape and that would be that.

But seriously...I didn't actually expect to roll as high as I did or get lucky on the images. I figured I would keep him busy/keep the ruse up, until you guys managed to get free and back me up, at which point I was planning on going back to nonlethal attacks. On the bright side, as Grimmgang noticed, when the other Kundarak ask what happened, they are going to be pretty convinced we are the Claw.

On the not so bright side, Shard is so distinctive that they might come gunning for him after all...(which in some ways means all of us, since we travel together).

*Hopefully* as was our intent it will spark off retribution towards the Emerald Claw in general, and not our little group in particular. The last thing we need on our heads is a Kundarak bounty...

Postmodernist
2013-03-09, 07:21 PM
Karmic Retribution would have been if I had used Empathic Transfer on the Smith. :smalltongue:

Hey, it's only Grimmy who wants to keep the dwarves alive. Xaxhan fully embodies the "hobo murderer" ethos of all true adventurers.

Sallera
2013-03-09, 07:24 PM
Well, Shard's apparently going for the long method of healing, so you've got five+ minutes to use Read Magic or play with Spellcraft checks.

TekHed
2013-03-09, 07:28 PM
I figured better to use the lesser vigor and and save the CMW for in combat emergencies.

Thinking about getting wand chamber put into Shards sword, so I can use Bear's endurance without changing what I'm holding (thought about CMW instead but I think Bear's Endurance is superior for in combat emergency healing).

Postmodernist
2013-03-09, 07:31 PM
Spellcraft checks:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Sallera
2013-03-09, 07:34 PM
It's one try per scroll per day, so no luck. Daiya identifies one as a scroll of Lesser Globe of Invulnerability Shout, though; fails to identify the other.

TekHed
2013-03-09, 07:38 PM
...this guy certainly was scroll-happy.

Sallera
2013-03-09, 07:54 PM
It is one of the primary benefits of being an artificer.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-09, 08:05 PM
I wonder what the one was that had no effect, and the one he failed to use. First one I'd guess something anti-Construct as he misjudged Shard's type. Second might even have been a Disintegrate as he talked about rendering him to dust.

Postmodernist
2013-03-09, 08:17 PM
I'll post IC shortly after dinner, and then I say we continue.

TekHed
2013-03-09, 08:38 PM
I wonder what the one was that had no effect, and the one he failed to use. First one I'd guess something anti-Construct as he misjudged Shard's type. Second might even have been a Disintegrate as he talked about rendering him to dust.

That was probably the acid one...

Sallera
2013-03-09, 09:00 PM
Ah... actually, I screwed up. 'Twas the Lesser Globe that got acid'd, the one that survived was a Shout. (Lesser Globe was also a failed activation, just not a nat-1.)

MoleMage
2013-03-11, 12:32 AM
Is the shout a divine or arcane scroll?

Postmodernist
2013-03-11, 09:57 AM
I kind of assumed Grimmy was going to Mountain Hammer the lock, which would have completed the joke about "ancient dwarven techniques."

Sallera
2013-03-11, 10:42 AM
Neither; it's an artificer scroll, so anyone can use it if they've got the spell on their list. (The alternative is to rule that only artificers can use it, which I think is a bit too limiting.)

Postmodernist
2013-03-11, 10:56 AM
Looking up shout in the SRD, it cannot penetrate a silence spell. Shard might benefit from that, tactically.

MoleMage
2013-03-11, 12:30 PM
Ooh...maybe if we researched a Shrink spell metamagic that lowers the area of effect of a spell (like the reverse of Expand Spell), then we could cast a Shrunk Silence on Shard and I could Shout whatever he's fighting to oblivion while he's protected from the sonic damage.

Sallera
2013-03-11, 11:07 PM
So, I'll be away from March 17th until April 13th. If you don't mind going on hiatus in the middle of a fight, I'll start up the next one tomorrow; otherwise, we can leave things in a chatty part.

TekHed
2013-03-11, 11:41 PM
Funny, I'm gone at a retreat all week and don't get back until the 17th. :smallsmile:

Fortunately there is wifi in the lodge so once a day I can keep up, which is why I didn't mention it before. I'm down for whatever...we have a pretty awesome patient crew here...

Hope we don't have too many more battles though! I feel like this module is really god about making us stretch our resources to the max, and as we have seen it can be lethal or just nearly so pretty awesome. All in all very exciting, with a real sense of danger. I'm loving it. :smallbiggrin:

Postmodernist
2013-03-11, 11:43 PM
Whatever works for me. I have spring break this week, so I'll have to busy myself some other way.

MoleMage
2013-03-12, 01:26 AM
I'd rather start the fight after you return myself, but I'm also okay with pausing if that's the consensus. And Tek, Shard may have used a lot of resources, but Daiya has most of her spell slots still locked and loaded.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-12, 12:03 PM
It's probably best to leave with an open-ended conversation so we have something to do in the meantime. Not sure how long it will last us though, given we're too pressed for time for philosophical debates and can't get responses from Jukkeam.

Would Grimmgang know what a Khyber Spawn is?

Sallera
2013-03-12, 12:26 PM
It doesn't refer to anything specific; it's more of a general term for the various aberrations that inhabit Khyber.

Postmodernist
2013-03-12, 12:30 PM
It doesn't refer to anything specific; it's more of a general term for the various aberrations that inhabit Khyber.

So, like, Shard? :smalltongue:

Sallera
2013-03-12, 12:33 PM
If anyone ever recognized what he was, yeah. :smalltongue:

TheFallenOne
2013-03-12, 12:52 PM
Yeah, the natural assumption is Construct. Though the guard calling him aberrant stained glass window seems to have gotten it.

Postmodernist
2013-03-12, 03:04 PM
So is it safe to assume we're on hiatus for about a week?

Sallera
2013-03-12, 03:08 PM
About a month, random IC conversation aside.

TekHed
2013-03-12, 10:37 PM
Yeah, the natural assumption is Construct. Though the guard calling him aberrant stained glass window seems to have gotten it.

Yeah that was awesome and hilarious. :smalltongue:

About a month, random IC conversation aside.

Sad Panda! One month of no Sal, no EotLQ or RHoD... :smallfrown: (But have fun Sal! We only miss you because we love you... :smallsmile:)

Postmodernist
2013-03-13, 12:45 PM
Grimmy saying "Tentacles again?" right as Xaxhan's bad quip goes through is pretty perfect if I do say so myself.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-13, 12:49 PM
Yeah, that was... *cough* oh well

Well, let's see if we can keep up a conversation lacking a DM without running into a dead end. I just see Jukkeam as a problem. We could talk about Hellscurvy playing us false and how to deal with it, but Jukkeam is no one I'd trust enough to let him listen in on this.

MoleMage
2013-03-13, 01:27 PM
Heh...delved too deeply. It's a shame characters in dungeons and dragons can't get Lord of the Rings references...

Postmodernist
2013-03-13, 02:37 PM
Heh...delved too deeply. It's a shame characters in dungeons and dragons can't get Lord of the Rings references...

I'm glad you noticed that. I was tempted to really lay this one on thick, but decided it was a little too cheesy.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-13, 07:57 PM
*Solid Fog* You shall not pass!

MoleMage
2013-03-14, 01:35 PM
I considered preparing that for today but I decided not to. Maybe I should have.

I do have Hold Person though.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-18, 05:46 PM
Alright, so what to do without DM? Where to steer the conversation? Grimmgang's current reaction would be to remind Jukkeam we are 'officially' Emerald Claw, not mercenaries, but while he is unable to respond that's not a good way to go. Any better ideas?

TekHed
2013-03-18, 09:06 PM
Honestly I'm not sure...this seems an opportune moment for Shard to discuss more of his past, but I've been feeling a bit shut down since my inspiration for the character was poorly received...

TheFallenOne
2013-03-18, 09:21 PM
Well, it's just too far out there, Grimmgang would just say 'Yeah right' and shrug it off. I mean, he already has trouble adjusting just to the genderless thing, he still refers to Shard as 'he'...

Postmodernist
2013-03-18, 11:36 PM
We could try and all have flashbacks, like TFO has been giving Grimmy. It's perhaps a slightly odd time, but it would be nice to add a little depth to our characters.

TekHed
2013-03-18, 11:39 PM
...which is sad because it limits my character development. You can post about Grimmy's past, but I'd like to be able to do the same. Also, I don't think it's too out there...you may have made Grimmgang grounded...but Eberron is fundamentally pulp-based: Hollow Earth, lost civilizations, time travel...

Postmodernist
2013-03-19, 12:07 AM
It doesn't have to be a direct discussion of the past, more of an "all in italics" memory style post. Shard is probably as deep within Eberron as he's been since leaving the earth, and Jukeam's mention of "Khyber spawn" may have awakened some sort of ancient protocol in our crystalline warrior.

I think it's much tougher for Daiya, Grimmy, and Xaxhan to have flashbacks here. What prompted them? What are they about? I also think that's kind of fun, a sort of interesting narrative challenge.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-19, 08:03 AM
...which is sad because it limits my character development. You can post about Grimmy's past, but I'd like to be able to do the same. Also, I don't think it's too out there...you may have made Grimmgang grounded...but Eberron is fundamentally pulp-based: Hollow Earth, lost civilizations, time travel...

The point is rather, it stops being the Eberron everyone knows if you introduce too many new major elements to it. Especially if said element is a godlike entity, given Eberron's deliberate ambiguity on divinity.

But that shouldn't stop you from developing your backstory further. I would though recommend not straying too far from what Sallera previously approved as he too had some misgivings on things like the Cruciform being the soul of Eberron or the time travel thing.

TekHed
2013-03-19, 10:48 AM
I think we settled on it being the manifestation of the Sarlonan Dream entity from the previous age...

TekHed
2013-03-24, 02:27 AM
I can do an internal thought post for Shard, but have we otherwise decided to put ourselves on pause until Sal returns?

TheFallenOne
2013-04-04, 08:45 PM
Nothing more to say?

TekHed
2013-04-04, 09:48 PM
Maybe, maybe not. Been kinda busy...

MoleMage
2013-04-04, 11:08 PM
Daiya doesn't have a lot of repressed memories to jump up. Her home life was pretty tame for a blind girl.

TekHed
2013-04-07, 01:33 AM
Yeah for now I got nothin'. Been kind of busy and stressed out.

Postmodernist
2013-04-13, 07:35 PM
I miss this thread. :(

TekHed
2013-04-14, 12:24 AM
I miss you Posty. :)

MoleMage
2013-04-14, 02:15 AM
Guys, Sal gets back soon! We can have this combat, kick some guards in the teeth (probably not literally), and break a rather selfish and untrusting character out of prison.

TheFallenOne
2013-04-14, 03:38 AM
We could also try to have a bit more talk until then. You know, show we can be productive without the DM watching over things.

Teeth kicking actually works here without crazy martial arts. You know, dwarves :smalltongue:

TekHed
2013-04-15, 12:01 AM
Yay! Sal's back!!! :smallbiggrin:

Postmodernist
2013-04-15, 12:12 AM
I got a PM from him earlier and was like "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATT!?!?" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=964zCjjscMc)

TheFallenOne
2013-04-15, 03:37 AM
I got a PM from him earlier and was like "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATT!?!?" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=964zCjjscMc)

I did not. Playing favourites now, is he? :smalltongue:

TekHed
2013-04-15, 03:46 AM
Weebedeebs Sal!

Do the caverns under Dreadhold still inhibit teleportation effects?

Sallera
2013-04-15, 04:24 AM
It was a response to one he sent me around when I left. :smalltongue:

You're still close enough to Dreadhold that you can't teleport, at the moment. How deep that'll hold true you have no way of knowing.

Edit: An Aid Another check on an attack roll still counts as engaging in melee combat.

TheFallenOne
2013-04-15, 05:55 AM
Ah damn. Well let's see if she remains standing. At least Grimmgang doesn't even need to roll with his +14 [roll0]

Well, that turn certainly was made of suck

MoleMage
2013-04-15, 08:44 AM
Can enervation spells crit?

TekHed
2013-04-15, 12:36 PM
Well this should be interesting. Shard has a -4 to balance checks with his heavy armor... (need to get some kind of property for it eh?)

Sallera
2013-04-15, 01:45 PM
I'll have to check that one when I get home; my memory's a little hazy on the matter. Probably no crit, since negative levels aren't damage; I recall something about extra negative energy damage instead, but I think that was the rules for applying sneak attack. If you want to check yourself, it should be in the Rules Compendium (if you have it) or Complete Arcane.

TekHed
2013-04-15, 07:41 PM
First need to roll for maneuvers:

[roll0] Crusader's Strike
[roll1] Mountain Hammer
[roll2] Stone Bones
[roll3] Shield Block
Vanguard Strike

Neat! 5,4,3,2,1!

Then a balance check: [roll4] Yeeeeeah...went about as well as I expected... :smallsigh:

Edit: How much time has passed? Would my force screen still be up? If it would have expired I'd have re activated it just prior to the battle. Let me know if I need to spend a PP for that...

Sallera
2013-04-16, 08:29 PM
With lockpicking, conversation, and walking, that'll have worn off by now.

Huh, good thing I checked. Seems Enervation crits normally.
Confirm: [roll0]
Negative levels: [roll1]

TekHed
2013-04-16, 08:54 PM
Ok, I'll mark off another PP for another 7 min.

MoleMage
2013-04-16, 09:45 PM
With lockpicking, conversation, and walking, that'll have worn off by now.

Huh, good thing I checked. Seems Enervation crits normally.
Confirm: [roll0]
Negative levels: [roll1]

Sweet. Hope he enjoys his extra -5 max health and -1 to all rolls. Shame it was a minimal crit. I bet he had the HD to take a full enervation crit and then we could knocked him out with a cherry tap.

MoleMage
2013-04-16, 09:52 PM
[roll0]

Opposed Strength

Sallera
2013-04-16, 10:16 PM
Oh, hah, completely forgot the new map. Post updated; feel free to revise, Tek.

TekHed
2013-04-16, 11:34 PM
Revised! New Plan: Incentivize them to attack me, soak up any damage done to Xaxhan, and use Cloud of Knives at point blank range. (Could we get some IC and Dragonfrost soon Posty? :smallsmile: Need it to make the CoK effective).

Postmodernist
2013-04-16, 11:36 PM
IC is up, but I thought we were trying not to kill the dwarves, so DFI (and presumably CoK) should be discouraged.

Also, there's no real point in confirming a crit for a tanglefoot bag, is there?

TekHed
2013-04-16, 11:43 PM
Aww yeah, I just checked and all of those attacks missed. I'll be keeping track of everyone's AC in case I need to up anyone's as an immediate. Good point about the CoK...

I'll hold back then...I do more good as a flanking piece in IGG with the potential of soaking damage for others than I do being perpetually prone. If push comes to shove I can try and attack and use an AP if I come close to succeeding...I should be able to roll a 14 or better on 1d20-4 eventually...

TekHed
2013-04-16, 11:46 PM
P.S. Posty...I already set Daiya and Grimmgang up for flanking...still good though, because now it's like we have them surrounded...but they are all surrounding Shard, which for my purposes is good.

TheFallenOne
2013-04-17, 03:15 AM
Heh, they tried to Mountain Hammer me. Nice.

Sweet. Hope he enjoys his extra -5 max health and -1 to all rolls. Shame it was a minimal crit. I bet he had the HD to take a full enervation crit and then we could knocked him out with a cherry tap.

Level 9+? I rather doubt it. Would've been embarrassing to accidentally kill him with a crit :smallbiggrin:

counts as flanking with Daiya and Grimmgang.

Five foot step to H8 to provide flanking to Grimmy

Guys, Scout. I always change my location before attacking unless the target is immune to precision damage.

TheFallenOne
2013-04-17, 06:19 AM
oops, forgot Drasil's standard action
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

Sallera
2013-04-19, 12:23 AM
No teleporting here, Posty. You could just 5ft step to I10 for the same range penalty, though.

MoleMage
2013-04-19, 01:42 AM
Apparently the dice parser doesn't like multiple entries for addition.

[roll0] This accounts for the various factors.

And I didn't mention it, but since I can't make more than one attack in a round anyway I'll just use my move action to not fall over.

Wow. Almost the third crit threat of the fight.

Postmodernist
2013-04-19, 01:43 AM
No teleporting here, Posty. You could just 5ft step to I10 for the same range penalty, though.

I forgot. 5' step works.

EDIT: Edited the post to remove the teleportation. MoleMage, not to critique Daiya's action, but Fort saves against Dwarven fighter-types seems like a bad idea. I'd suggest either targeting a weak save or not blowing the spell.

TekHed
2013-04-19, 02:36 AM
If I'm understanding correctly, you only have to use your move action to stay upright IF you fail the DC 10 Balance check...

TheFallenOne
2013-04-19, 03:05 AM
I rather thought a move action allows you to avoid making the check.

TekHed
2013-04-19, 04:12 AM
Is that true Sal? That was not how I'd read it.

Also, my apologies Fallen...had you been adjacent to Shard I could have shield blocked that hit from going through. I could also have Immediate Protection Devotioned to give all of us +3 to AC, but I figured these guys haven't really been hitting and we may need to save that for something more nasty down the road a bit...

If a move action indeed keeps me from having to roll a balance check, then I'd request the option of attacking this last round with my unused standard, and I could heal Grimmy with a Crusader's Strike.

Sallera
2013-04-19, 10:30 AM
No, it's a Balance check when you attempt to attack that costs you a move action if you fail.

TekHed
2013-04-19, 11:39 AM
What if I fail by more than 5? Can I still use move action then?

Sallera
2013-04-19, 11:56 AM
You lose the move action either way.

TekHed
2013-04-19, 12:09 PM
So to be clear, the move action doesn't keep me from falling prone if I fail by more than 5, but does if I fail by less than 5? Sorry if I'm being daft.

Sallera
2013-04-19, 12:41 PM
That would be correct.

MoleMage
2013-04-19, 01:30 PM
So that means I need to make a balance check.

And Posty, I'm aware of that, but I've got that spell prepared today and can just store it back in the sword again after the fight (repeat up to four times). They're all dwarves down here and I've already lowered this one's saving throws due to negative levels, so he's actually one of the better options to blind. Plus I bet he'd surrender if he was blind.

MoleMage
2013-04-19, 01:32 PM
Forgot to actually put the balance check in the last one.

[roll0]

TekHed
2013-04-19, 05:17 PM
Ok good, so I've been doing the right thing by not trying to play Shard the knockdown clown... :smalltongue:

TheFallenOne
2013-04-19, 09:10 PM
That's dwarven Warblades for you, even the mook still stands after 33 damage. Chewing through these guys will take a while.

Drasil AoO, grapple attempt [roll0] [roll1]
[roll2]

that was way better than expected

TekHed
2013-04-19, 09:28 PM
When I get home later I'm going to have Shard diagonal 5 foot step to the space that threatens B3 and C, allowing Grim to tumble past to the square to the right of B3 or all the way around fr flanking. Sorry I don't have the squares, posting from phone.

Postmodernist
2013-04-20, 12:24 AM
We've got these guys, it's just a matter of continuing to slowly beat them senseless. It'd go so much faster if we didn't have to do nonlethal damage, but no, Grimmy has to be all "morally responsible" and stuff. Jeez, can't we just be murderous mugger-hobos like D&D adventurers are supposed to be? :smalltongue:

TheFallenOne
2013-04-20, 04:41 AM
Murder-hoboing is quite alright with me, I just want us to be smart in who we kill instead of going omnicidal :smalltongue:

TekHed
2013-04-20, 12:59 PM
"Have you...killed anyone?"

"Yeah, but dey were all bad..."
:smalltongue:

Postmodernist
2013-04-20, 03:45 PM
omnicidal

I officially love this word.

TekHed
2013-04-21, 02:47 AM
Iron Guard's Glare is really showing it's age. I don't think I get another stance until Ruby Knight Vindicator...

Shard: rendered inconsequential by a Balance check (and non-lethal attack requirements).

TheFallenOne
2013-04-21, 02:57 AM
Let's hope this hits so I don't have to go through another 17 HP... [roll0] [roll1]

Drasil grapple maintenance [roll2]

Iron Guard's Glare is really showing it's age. I don't think I get another stance until Ruby Knight Vindicator...

Shard: rendered inconsequential by a Balance check (and non-lethal attack requirements).

Is there something keeping you from 5 foot stepping? :smallconfused: Lost move action from balance should be a rather small problem for standard action maneuvers.

I would assume that knocks the guy out?

TekHed
2013-04-21, 03:39 AM
I have been 5-foot stepping...just did so again. But he 5' steps before he attacks so negates IGG.

It's not a move action...I have 30% chance of succeeding at all and being able to still attack, and a more than 50% chance of falling prone with no recourse of spending a move action. Ergo, the most likely outcome of me trying to attack is going to be either blowing a move action instead of being able to 5 foot step and attack, or ending on my butt and having to get up each round like a knockdown clown.

Sallera
2013-04-21, 04:23 AM
Yep, a 20 will do it.

TheFallenOne
2013-04-21, 01:25 PM
I must say we're rocking a nice pace right now. I feared we might need a bit to get back on track after Sallera's absence, but that was pleasantly far from the truth.

Postmodernist
2013-04-21, 01:40 PM
I couldn't agree more.

Sallera
2013-04-21, 06:59 PM
Crit confirm: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

MoleMage
2013-04-21, 08:45 PM
[roll0]
Fort Save

TekHed
2013-04-21, 11:26 PM
spend 1 PP to boost save. [roll0]

TheFallenOne
2013-04-22, 12:07 AM
Go Drasil Go [roll0]

while going "WHAT!" for an hour sounds amusing I'd prefer to not fail this [roll1] No bardic music would hurt

Eat AoO [roll2] [roll3]

TheFallenOne
2013-04-22, 12:19 AM
Drasil continues being a beast...

forgot base damage [roll0]

Postmodernist
2013-04-22, 12:22 AM
while going "WHAT!" for an hour sounds amusing I'd prefer to not fail this [roll1] No bardic music would hurt

Somehow, I think Grimmy would secretly be grateful to be rendered temporarily deaf. I bet he'll start asking Daiya to cast Deafness on him next time he and Shard hang out together.

Good thing Drasil is more useful in a fight than our Seren fop. Also, I just realized that I could get another swing with my natural weapons. I always get screwed up with the whole "natural weapons interacting with manufactured weapons and iteratives" problem of D&D. Can Xaxhan even use a claw attack as nonlethal?

TekHed
2013-04-22, 12:44 AM
lethal weapons being used as nonlethal take a -4 penalty to hit.

Postmodernist
2013-04-22, 12:49 AM
I know that, just wondering if it can be done with natural weapons.

TheFallenOne
2013-04-22, 01:01 AM
Can be done with all weapons, including natural. Simple rule with no exceptions. Perhaps not realistic(how's that supposed to work with a morningstar or rapier?), but better than overcomplicate things.

As a scout Grimmgang is rather reluctant to lose use of one of his senses, though another conversation with Shard would make him contemplate using a thunderstone on himself. More likely though he'd snap and give Shard an earful on why he doesn't want one in return.

Postmodernist
2013-04-29, 10:46 AM
Checking in post crash. Everyone still around?

TheFallenOne
2013-04-29, 10:51 AM
Of course.

Sallera
2013-04-29, 11:29 AM
Yep, just need Daiya's action.

MoleMage
2013-04-29, 01:29 PM
Yup, still here. Posting action presently. Just noticed the site was back up this morning.

EDIT: guess I'm taking an AoO. Oh well. He's not exactly on top of his game, and Shard's got Iron Guard's Glare on him.

TheFallenOne
2013-04-29, 05:21 PM
Yup, still here. Posting action presently. Just noticed the site was back up this morning.

EDIT: guess I'm taking an AoO. Oh well. He's not exactly on top of his game, and Shard's got Iron Guard's Glare on him.

You do remember Daiya's death was due to AoO? :smalltongue:

I must say we're rocking a nice pace right now. I feared we might need a bit to get back on track after Sallera's absence, but that was pleasantly far from the truth.

I jinxed it, didn't I.

Sallera
2013-04-29, 09:09 PM
Well, this AoO was a nat-1. :smalltongue:

Loot from the dwarves:
6 thunderstones
5 tanglefoot bags
3 potions (faint conjuration)
4 potions (unknown aura)
4 masterwork battleaxes
4 masterwork heavy spiked steel shields
4 masterwork kukris
4 gold torcs
crystal amulet (unknown aura)
bag of dust (moderate transmutation)
99g, 57s

TheFallenOne
2013-04-29, 09:20 PM
Decent haul for a rather easy fight, even with terrain and nonlethal disadvantage. Then again, dice were on our side. I pity the dwarf continuously outwrestled by a small piece of wood lacking thumbs. I don't think he'll be enjoying retelling that part.

Fort [roll0]

TekHed
2013-04-30, 05:31 AM
Save: [roll0] As personally humorous as it would be to me to have Shard just going "huh?" for the next hour, I think it may be more prudent to just spend one of my full cache of AP for this level on making the save. Not even going to bother rolling it since a 1 will suffice.

MoleMage
2013-04-30, 02:34 PM
[roll0]

Tumble check didn't even matter, he fell before my turn.

TheFallenOne
2013-04-30, 02:44 PM
MoleMage I have a spare MW Buckler. I keep it in case I have to fight while climbing or doing archery, but otherwise you can take it for the extra defense.