PDA

View Full Version : Eyes of the Lich Queen OOC II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

TekHed
2013-05-01, 03:56 AM
Hey Sal, I was thinking and would it be okay to modify Shard's template with the drawback that he may not use potions? Makes sense and can also help balance out the poison immunity...

Sallera
2013-05-01, 11:06 AM
Hm, I don't think that's necessary. The core limitation is that "any corporeal creature can imbibe a potion," and that includes things like stone golems, so there's no requirement for an anatomy. Presumably the potion is effectively liquified magic, and just sort of... evaporates.

MoleMage
2013-05-01, 01:38 PM
Hm, I don't think that's necessary. The core limitation is that "any corporeal creature can imbibe a potion," and that includes things like stone golems, so there's no requirement for an anatomy. Presumably the potion is effectively liquified magic, and just sort of... evaporates.

Probably the same principle by which potions that target items (like Shillelagh or Magic Weapon) can still be used, by pouring them over the weapon itself. You don't drink the potion as Shard, you just kinda...pour it over his head.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-01, 01:47 PM
Nah, I'd still go with drinking. Same goes for Warforged after all who obviously lack a digestive track. The liquid likely just fuses into the body and dissolves.

So, any idea about the dwarves? Guess I can use their clothes as improsived bindings if they're stury enough, but with the penalty they can likely Escape Artist out of it. The best meta-solution is of course to kick each of them two more times so their nonlethal damage doesn't run out before we're finished but that feels a bit too gamey...

TekHed
2013-05-01, 03:12 PM
Okay, that makes sense I suppose.

I can always chill touch the lot of them, do a bit more damage, drain some strength (since they auto fail the save), and lend some credence to the idea that we are necromantic-using Emerald Claw...

Sallera
2013-05-01, 04:08 PM
You don't automatically fail saves when unconscious (well, Reflex saves, but not Fort).

TheFallenOne
2013-05-02, 02:13 PM
So any other ideas or just use their cloaks/shirts to bind their hands and kick each of them in the ribs once?

MoleMage
2013-05-02, 06:32 PM
I posted some ideas IC, which I'm not sure how viable they are.

Namely: Stuff 'em in crates or stuff 'em in cells.

Also by the by, I stored Blindness in the sword, since it's pretty much better than Deafness in most capacities. Unless you've started introducing enemies with two or four level dips in Blinded Saint.

TekHed
2013-05-02, 08:49 PM
On the other hand, we ARE going down into Khyber...lots of things might already be blind/use echolocation.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-03, 03:51 PM
Bloody...!

Will [roll0]
Dungeoneering [roll1]

I'm awesome.

Postmodernist
2013-05-03, 04:53 PM
Blargh. Sorry guys, it's been a crazy week at work. End of the semester approaches, and there's a ton to do. This obviously had to coincide with the brief outage of GitP. I'll post something of substance over the weekend. Apologies.

Sallera
2013-05-03, 06:27 PM
Just to be clear, Fallen, was that a 'roll initiative' post, or are you still engaging it in conversation? Either's fine, I'm just not sure which you intended.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-03, 06:37 PM
I took the Charm as a hostile action and will answer in kind before it tries again. I do though wait two or three seconds to let the others catch up to my position before making an aggressive move and initiate combat so I'm not isolated. If the naga has an interesting response to what Grimmgang said I won't mind either, but the 'We must finish this quick' was a definite 'Time for skull bashing'.

It probably could provide an interesting conversation, but the charming gaze gives too much inherent risk. We might negotiate a seeming agreement and by the time we walked by half of us have a snake fetish.

Sallera
2013-05-03, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I kind of figured. I'll wait 'till I'm home to update, then.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-03, 06:43 PM
Awesome. I think this one could be a toughie depending on what kind of minions and spells the naga has, but at least I against likelihood avoided going into this charmed. Would have been quite interesting though...

TekHed
2013-05-03, 07:27 PM
Man, another fight...

We also probably have a fight in store to escape with Thraxis and Jukkheam, what with the ballistae and ogres awaiting us topside.

Resources getting stretched thin...

TheFallenOne
2013-05-04, 03:49 AM
Need to save on low [roll0]
Save [roll1]

TekHed
2013-05-04, 11:13 PM
Hello, first of all sorry for my tardiness in posting. 2 nights ago I experienced a *severe* allergic reaction to a new supplement. I'm talking horrible red itching welts all over my entire body, head to toe, including my scalp, face, and even the palms of my hands. I have not been able to sleep from the madness of itching save for when I've been in a benadryl induced coma (and even then it hasn't totally removed the itching). My heart rate also sped up, likely due to low blood pressure and I believe I came very very close to anaphylaxis. It's going to take me another day, maybe 2 for my system to recover. Reminds me of when I was a teenager and got a 2nd degree sunburn over my whole body... skin is super hot but I'm wracked with chills. I think my entire epidermis went into shock.

Anyways, regarding the current tableau, some questions...

Since Shard doesn't start his turn within range I can move and attack this round without being subjected to gaze attack?

IIRC Nagas use Charm Person...did you upgrade this one to Charm Monster? Because Shard is an Aberration.

If I try and D-Hop, and we are still close enough to Dreadhold for it to block me, do I still spend the PP?

Do I need to re-up my buffs for the current fight?

Sallera
2013-05-04, 11:39 PM
Yes, no (Shard's fine), yes, yes.

Edit: Fallen, the Ts have reach; are you still charging in there?

TheFallenOne
2013-05-05, 04:25 AM
:smallconfused: I won initiative, so I assumed they're still FF and thus can't AoO.

Sounds nasty Tek. Take care.

Sallera
2013-05-05, 03:45 PM
Ah, fair enough. Combat Reflexes, though, so you're still eating AoOs.

Touch attack on Grimmgang: [roll0]
Opposed trip: [roll1]
Improved Trip touch attack: [roll2]
Opposed grapple: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] nonlethal + 1 con

Touch attack on Grimmgang: [roll5] (ignore this first part if already prone)
Opposed trip: [roll6]
Improved Trip touch attack: [roll7]
Opposed grapple: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9] nonlethal + 1 con

Touch attack on Drasil: [roll10] (ignore this block if the one above is successfully grappling)
Opposed trip: [roll11]
Improved Trip touch attack: [roll12]
Opposed grapple: [roll13]
Damage: [roll14] nonlethal + 1 con

Touch attack on Drasil: [roll15] (ignore this block if the top one is successfully grappling)
Opposed trip: [roll16]
Improved Trip touch attack: [roll17]
Opposed grapple: [roll18]
Damage: [roll19] nonlethal + 1 con

TheFallenOne
2013-05-05, 04:04 PM
Ah damn, that feat hits you when you least expect it :smallbiggrin:

With dex, ring and Skirmish my Touch AC is exactly 15... *shakes fist* perhaps a good time to fire Protection Devotion Tek?

TekHed
2013-05-05, 04:52 PM
Absolutely can do!

Sal, will have Shard immediate action interrupt with Prot. Devotion. Also, when the thing starts talking and the smell of rotting meat came through Shard will have taken the opportunity to reapply Force Screen and Prot. from Evil.

Prot Devotion: 10/10 rounds

Prot from Evil and Force Screen: 7/7 minutes

Maneuvers:
[roll0] Stone Bones
[roll1] Mountain Hammer
[roll2] Crusader's Strike
[roll3] Shield Block
Vanguard Strike

TheFallenOne
2013-05-06, 05:57 AM
so Drasil gets one hit

[roll0]
[roll1]

edit: would the small stones in G11 inhibit movement? If not I'd ammend Grimmgang to F11. Still AoOs, but better AC from the wall and likely better position to strike next turn. I wanted to focus on the naga first, but since the tentacle guys are grapplers a Wolf Fang Strike on them first seems useful. Can't get Skirmish on the naga anyway long as I avert my eyes.

Sallera
2013-05-06, 10:52 AM
Call it difficult terrain, but you can move there.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-06, 11:42 AM
hrm, looks like that would get my tumble DC to 25... Scratch that then, not worth the risk of losing the tanglefoot bag hit.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-06, 01:31 PM
Also, looks like Posty couldn't make it on the weekend. One vote for DFI. Granted, Glitterdust is an interesting option against gaze attacks, but I rather have the surety of extra d6.

TekHed
2013-05-06, 01:59 PM
I dunno...a DC 19 Will save every turn for Grimmy and possibly Xax if he closes in is a big gamble...the odds are against you making that every round...

TheFallenOne
2013-05-06, 02:07 PM
50% I don't have to save if I avert my eyes
20% it doesn't get through my concealment
50% I make my save('If the creature is currently being threatened or attacked by you or your allies, however, it receives a +5 bonus on its saving throw.')

Not that bad. Chances were against me at the start, but now things look rather decent.
DFI guarantees a faster end of the fight. Glitterdust may though be a good follow-up instead of Inspire Courage. Especially if Daiya precedes with an Energy Drain for save debuffing. I like how the number of our options went up since start of the game.

Sallera
2013-05-06, 08:41 PM
Forgot the AoOs for throwing the tanglefoot bag.

Touch attack on Grimmgang: [roll0]
Opposed trip: [roll1]
Improved Trip attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Touch attack on Grimmgang: [roll4] (ignore this first part if already prone)
Opposed trip: [roll5]
Improved Trip attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

Sallera
2013-05-06, 09:09 PM
More forgetting stuff.
Drasil needs to make a Fort save at DC16 or be nauseated for [roll0] rounds.

MoleMage
2013-05-06, 09:19 PM
[roll0]

Fort Save. Why is it always Fort Save?

Does that thing have Still Spell? How irritating. At least I've got some minor ongoing damage which means it must make concentration checks (even if they're trivially easy to pass, chance of nat 1) plus the two negative levels will mean it loses two spell slots!

Sallera
2013-05-06, 09:22 PM
Because it doesn't matter what saves I have you lot roll, you'll make 90% of them anyway.

MoleMage
2013-05-06, 09:28 PM
Because it doesn't matter what saves I have you lot roll, you'll make 90% of them anyway.

Does seem to be the case, doesn't it.

TekHed
2013-05-06, 09:46 PM
Does Shard need to make a Fort save vs. noxious smoke even though it doesn't breath?

Postmodernist
2013-05-06, 10:03 PM
Sorry guys. I should be back. Quick question: did I lose my last action?

Postmodernist
2013-05-06, 10:20 PM
Actually, I'll go ahead and just post a DFI action IC anyway. Sorry for being so backed up. As for spells: I'm considering Sound Burst, actually. Sal described them as lacking eyes, so I assume they have some other senses. Thus, Glitterdust is out. Damage and a chance at a stun might be our best bet, but I wanted to discuss it with everyone, especially Tek, since Shard is susceptible to sonic damage.

MoleMage
2013-05-06, 10:55 PM
Technically, you're in the right place in the action (I posted ahead of you but otherwise exactly).

I was thinking of hucking a thunderstone at them to mess with the Naga's casting (assuming it fails its Fort save), which might blind the other things. But then, they might also have tremorsense in which case there isn't a lot we can do to stop them groping us.

Postmodernist
2013-05-06, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I realized that my action was effectively in order immediately afterwards, hence the IC post. The naga is definitely our priority. Unload heavy on it. How much AC do we get from Shard's Law Devotion? 3 AC?

TekHed
2013-05-06, 11:40 PM
+3 sacred bonus

Postmodernist
2013-05-06, 11:55 PM
Applies to touch AC too, yeah?

TekHed
2013-05-07, 12:32 AM
Apparently.

Sallera
2013-05-07, 12:40 AM
Perhaps I'm missing something, but why would it need Still Spell?

Tek, it's a spell, not a poison, so you still need to save.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-07, 05:10 AM
Forgot the AoOs for throwing the tanglefoot bag.

I assumed they were for the throwing. I only moved 15 feet and make the tumble dc on a 1, and there's never a reason not to tumble in combat.

Don't jinx it before I roll :smalleek:

[roll0] and another +2 for spell
high avoids gaze save [roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Saves, check. Gaze, check. Trip, check. Apparantly Grimmgang's diet includes leprechauns in four leave clover salad.

MoleMage
2013-05-07, 02:13 PM
I forgot Tanglefoot doesn't negate somatic components. It doesn't need Still Spell. Wish I had Hold Monster though. Make this a lot more favorable.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-07, 02:22 PM
Eh, I really wouldn't like throwing around Save or Lose spells like Hold Monster. Either nothing happens, or an otherwise interesting fight becomes trivial and boring.

Anyway, I had an idea
Naga + Undead Servant Gemstone = Skeleton Naga

Now, the problem is it only works for two minutes, so we'd have to carry the body back most of the way, but I think it's worth it. Throwing an undead naga at the dock guards is like a +10 on our Emerald Claw bluff.
And likely the looks on their faces alone will be worth it

TekHed
2013-05-07, 03:05 PM
Eh, I really wouldn't like throwing around Save or Lose spells like Hold Monster. Either nothing happens, or an otherwise interesting fight becomes trivial and boring.

Anyway, I had an idea

Now, the problem is it only works for two minutes, so we'd have to carry the body back most of the way, but I think it's worth it. Throwing an undead naga at the dock guards is like a +10 on our Emerald Claw bluff.

I endorse this product or service. :smallsmile: I forgot we had that Undead Servant Gemstone...

Re: Hold Person/Monster/etc...that hasn't stopped Sal from using them against us in the past...

Postmodernist
2013-05-07, 03:14 PM

Anyway, I had an idea

While this sounds totally awesome, do you think we'd need it? Couldn't we always just sneak out with a few judiciously employed distractions? A few freed slaves, perhaps, or invisibility spells? I just feel like a zombie helper needs to be used in a desperate situations.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-07, 03:24 PM
Well, we can't reasonably sneak past the dock guards, at the very least we have to take out the ballista aimed at the ship or our escape won't make it far. Let's see how much effort the naga transport would be, but if it is doable I'm all for it. We went into this to make it look like the Emerald Claw is the perpetrator, might as well give them reason not to question it.

"Sir, we've been attacked by soldiers in Emerald Claw uniform."
"Are we sure it actually was the Emerald Claw?"
"A skeletal naga chewed off the face of our ogre."
"... I take that as a yes."

MoleMage
2013-05-07, 05:22 PM
Well, we can't reasonably sneak past the dock guards, at the very least we have to take out the ballista aimed at the ship or our escape won't make it far. Let's see how much effort the naga transport would be, but if it is doable I'm all for it. We went into this to make it look like the Emerald Claw is the perpetrator, might as well give them reason not to question it.

"Sir, we've been attacked by soldiers in Emerald Claw uniform."
"Are we sure it actually was the Emerald Claw?"
"A skeletal naga chewed off the face of our ogre."
"... I take that as a yes."

I totally endorse this action as well. Not okay with making humanoid undead as a matter of principle, but surprisingly not good aligned either. So...compromise.

TekHed
2013-05-07, 06:05 PM
Let's just worry about killing the damn thing first.

:goes to post:

TekHed
2013-05-07, 06:10 PM
Immediate Action +4 Fort Save [roll0] ...and he slides into homebase an inch ahead of the glove... :smallsmile:

Edit: How many uses of Bardic music does Xaxhan have left? A little old fashioned Inspire Courage might help end this faster. I was conflicted about whether or not to burn cloud of knives in this fight considering we almost certainly have one more to survive after this one.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-08, 01:29 AM
Hrm, now it's invisible.

We can focus on the tentacle guys first, or I can follow it until I get a Scent pinpoint and call its position out for Glitterdusting. What do you think?

TekHed
2013-05-08, 01:41 AM
The latter. Daiya, Shard, and Drasil can probably finish off these two. Also, unless it's flying, it's serpentine locomotion will leave a trail...

Edit: yeah depending on how many HPs T1 had left I may have just smooshed both of them. If my D-Hop worked I just did 62 damage (thanks Xaxhan! thanks Psionic Weapon!).

TheFallenOne
2013-05-08, 06:12 AM
Alright, but either Shard or Daiya should come with Grimmgang. Going up alone against he naga can backfire.

Move to E4->D3. Do I get a Scent pinpoint anywhere?

TekHed
2013-05-08, 06:50 AM
I vote Daiya then because she will be able to pinpoint it pretty easily. Then bring on the glitterdust. Shard can mop up the gimps.

Sallera
2013-05-08, 10:18 AM
Pinpoint get! It's in B2/C3.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-08, 10:23 AM
Pinpoint get!

:smallcool: mfw

I so love having Scent.

Postmodernist
2013-05-08, 05:54 PM
:smallcool: mfw

I so love having Scent.

It is an awesome ability.

Edit: How many uses of Bardic music does Xaxhan have left? A little old fashioned Inspire Courage might help end this faster. I was conflicted about whether or not to burn cloud of knives in this fight considering we almost certainly have one more to survive after this one.

Xaxhan has just popped his third Bardic music out of seven. Glitterdust incoming.

TekHed
2013-05-09, 11:42 PM
OMG...did his mithrilmist really just save Grimm from having to save vs. *8* Con damage?!

Guess it made it's Will save...still though! Grimmgang is slicing air, meanwhile Daiya walks in all Acid! Enervation! Magic Missile! BAM BAM BAM the last being a quick one-two punch with Xaxhan for a glitterdust in the same round. A Naga should know when it's beaten. :smallamused:

Stupid Dreadhold Dimensional Anchor *grumble*grumble*... :smallmad:

Postmodernist
2013-05-10, 12:08 AM
Grimmy would have had a decent chance of making his Fort save, especially if it was from poison. Strategically, should we just advance and fire from range? I have a suspicion we'll have it down by the end of this or the next round.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-10, 02:17 AM
OMG...did his mithrilmist really just save Grimm from having to save vs. *8* Con damage?!

Nah, I'm rocking an AC of 24 even before your Protection Devotion. Uncanny Dodge, so I don't lose dex and Skirmish to invisible enemies.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-10, 02:40 AM
Critty time!

[roll0] [roll1]

55 damage, that's got to hurt

Postmodernist
2013-05-10, 08:43 AM
Nice crit. That HAS to drop it, right? RIGHT?

TheFallenOne
2013-05-10, 09:06 AM
I'm reasonably confident it does. Now let's hope I don't accidentally behead it and thus invalidate the skeleton naga plan :smalltongue:

I think Molemage forgot to roll the third set of Acid Arrow damage.

Postmodernist
2013-05-10, 01:00 PM
I still think we should save it for a do-or-die moment, but it's definitely useful here and reinforces our ruse as Emerald Claw soldiers. It's also pretty cool, so I guess I'll let it slide, even though the metagamer/optimizer in me thinks otherwise.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-10, 01:12 PM
If you're that attached to having that ace in the hole you can just buy a new one, I never before heard of Undead Servant Gemstones but presumably this isn't a unique item.

Postmodernist
2013-05-10, 04:12 PM
This is a fair criticism. I tend to hang onto resources too long in RPGs, and they often sit unused in my inventory too long. Let's just use it.

MoleMage
2013-05-10, 04:52 PM
You're right, I did.

[roll0]

Just for the sake of argument.

Also, Daiya will delay until after the party's already described actions are complete, just so I can see if anything is left to hit.

Sallera
2013-05-10, 05:39 PM
Need a charm save from Grimmgang (or a concealment roll). That wasn't greater invisibility, so it broke when the Naga attacked.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-10, 05:53 PM
I guess I can't avert my eyes when it suddenly becomes visible again?

[roll0]
[roll1]

puh. Would have been sad to lose that crit.

Sallera
2013-05-10, 06:11 PM
Well, concealment roll was meant to be if you decided to avert your eyes, but you made it anyway.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-10, 06:18 PM
That was for the Mithralmist actually, normal concealment applies to Gaze attacks. Though upon rereading I notice it overlaps with the averting eyes thing instead of working both, but the error made no difference.

Sallera
2013-05-10, 06:32 PM
Given your skeletal naga assault plan, you'll probably want to know that the naga's corpse weighs about 250 pounds.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-10, 06:39 PM
Excellent, that looks quite managable between two of us. I got bit more than 150 to spare before hitting max load. And it doesn't even slow me down.

TekHed
2013-05-10, 06:48 PM
Man I expected this fight to be harder. Should have saved my Cloud of Knives for the Ogres...

TheFallenOne
2013-05-10, 06:53 PM
What, you prefer we didn't luck out on this one? :smalltongue: This is a very tough fight on more average rolls. I fail my save against the Gaze, that likely turns Drasil too, one of you fails his save against Nauseated and we're fighting an uphill battle against a TPK.

Postmodernist
2013-05-10, 09:58 PM
Given your skeletal naga assault plan, you'll probably want to know that the naga's corpse weighs about 250 pounds.

Yes! Xaxhan is too weak to help out effectively!

Man I expected this fight to be harder. Should have saved my Cloud of Knives for the Ogres...

Xaxhan has blown a pretty good amount of spells, 2 TF bags, and a good chunk of bardic music. I imagine Daiya and Shard have blown through a decent amount of their resources as well. It's been challenging, but not insurmountable, and we're not out of the woods (or aberration-filled inescapable island prison camp) yet.

MoleMage
2013-05-10, 10:01 PM
I still have two potions of Shield of Faith +5 in my bag, if I'm forced to give up spellcasting entirely and enter combat.

Postmodernist
2013-05-10, 10:07 PM
We also have action points to spend.

Sal, my Bardic Knowledge roll should be 2 higher. It's CL + Int bonus, which should be 10, not 8.

TekHed
2013-05-10, 10:58 PM
Yep, it's been quite a slog. We may have quite a battle waiting for us up top. Maybe we can find a way to use the Naga and some diversionary tactics to take out the Ballista quickly? Even so I'm not sure how we're going to escape, because won't Dreadhold surely have ships or casters able to follow us?

TheFallenOne
2013-05-11, 06:20 PM
I present, The Order of the Pants

Xaxhan Fancypants
Grimmgang Grumpypants
Shard Hasnopants
Daiya Whatcolouraremypants

Postmodernist
2013-05-12, 10:08 AM
What does this portend? Will there be an upcoming encounter with our enemies the Trousers Guild? The Brotherhood of Knickerbockers?

Seriously, though. The party dynamic here is really strong and entertaining to watch unfold. Cheers to everyone involved in this game.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-12, 10:11 AM
I love how Xaxhan tried to make a joke at Grimmgang's expense regarding who he meant to animate and then he just bullied you into carrying the naga :smallbiggrin:

Postmodernist
2013-05-12, 10:20 AM
Exactly. There's the right amount of give and take, and our characters all seem pretty well in rhythm with one another.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-12, 10:50 AM
Well, it depends. Daiya and Shard never retaliate when you shoot a barb their way. Shard doesn't really get bickering, and Daiya is too nice I guess.
Of course, Shard does have his wholly unintentional way of striking back when he fails to understand our fleshlings' ways in exciting new ways.

oh, these should be the stats for a Skeleton Naga

Large Undead
9d12(58 HP)
Initiative +6
Speed 40 ft
AC 13(-1 size, 2 dex, 2 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple +4/+12
Attack: Bite +7(2d6+6, Poison 1d8 Con DC 14)
Special Qualities: Immunity to Cold, DR 5/Bludgeoning, Darkvision 60, Undead stuff
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +6
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 15, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
Feats: Improved Initiative

AC is sucky, but we should probably fire Protection Devotion soon anyway. The guards so far had slashing weapons so the DR will hurt them. They seem to be mostly martial adepts and might Mountain Hammer it, but hey, every Mountain Hammer used on the naga is a Mountain Hammer not used on us. All good.

I could also use a single Lesser Vigor before fighty time.

Postmodernist
2013-05-12, 11:28 AM
Like most undead, it's mostly another body. It's pretty meat-shieldy, plus it's large and has reach. The point is for us to keep it in front of us and let it take hits while we disable enemies from afar. Grappling could also be a good option, and the poison is pretty nasty. While we're mostly going up against dwarven fighter types, there's always the possibility of a low fort save. Frankly, if it lives for more than a round, I'll be happy.

Shard has lots of idiosyncrasies, and makes for an excellent comedic straight man (Elan). Daiya is the necessary positive force (Durkon), Grimmy (Roy) is our no nonsense leader, and Xaxhan is the jerk (Belkar). There's some role-fulfillment swapping, and everyone covers some different thematic elements (Daiya's blindness is an exotic handicap-***-asset, everyone has Vaarsuvius' ancient lore shtick covered in a slightly different way, etc.), but I think we're a cool and distinctive enough group that we'd merit our own TV Tropes page.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-12, 11:47 AM
Wait, Xaxhan usurped the 'jerk' position from Grimmy and I didn't even notice? Damnation!

What do you mean though with take them apart from afar? We are a decidedly melee-focused group, and the more time we give them the more opportunity they have to call reinforcements or use the ballista on our ride.

Best we overwhelm them, maybe use Slow so they take longer to gang up on us. Though that conflicts with bardic music and other nice debuffs like Glitterdust... You have so many nice options here I really wouldn't know which is best.
Leave the ogre to me, put that +4 racial dodge to use. Someone else has to handle the ballista; Skirmish doesn't work on objects, so everytime I attack it we'd be throwing 2d6 damage away.

Postmodernist
2013-05-12, 12:19 PM
Actually, Slow and Glitterdust were precisely the "from afar" type activities I had in mind. The ballista is probably an ideal target for someone with Mountain Hammer, though I wonder if it could be disabled or Dispelled or something equivalent. Basically, the naga needs to get all up in as many opponents' business. I'm cool with you taking on the ogre. Normally, we're pretty mobile, but Dreadhold's teleportation strictures slow us down somewhat, so we should continue to modify our plans accordingly. Also, we should focus any spellcasters they might have.

Xaxhan can wade into melee if he absolutely must, as Snowflake Wardance will allow him to actually hit something. Still, I agree with your assessment: disables followed by bardsong. I should be able to target at least two different saves, though I wish I had something to hit Reflex. How do I not even have Grease?

What about Shard and Daiya's plans?

TekHed
2013-05-12, 02:50 PM
Shard is all about mobility, and eventually retaliation. I can expend my focus to take damage for an adjacent ally, or get an AoO on them for attacking, and shield block is also good for deflecting a nasty attack that gets through...all of them require me to be next to the ally though, so he doesn't synergize well with Grimms constantly moving style.

But yeah, that mobility is really hampered here, so have to use more direct means. Shard can go after the ballista if Grimm takes the Ogre. If the Naga stays nearby I have enough turn attempts to use one more protection devotion, but outside of using law devotion instead, it helps Shard hit if he can get inspire courage (that seems to be the secondary music though in favor of more raw damage). I seem to have been rolling good lately to hit though so maybe I'm finally catching up there. Cloud of Knives is only good within 30', and I used it already (half wasted). Shard really needs better ranged options, but his dex is poor. Maybe some kind of ranged touch attack, perhaps in a wand?

Postmodernist
2013-05-12, 03:31 PM
Everyone has decent to-hit bonus, whether through BAB, strength, or bypassing defenses through things like touch attacks, so heaping on raw damage tends to be the most favorable method. It's just a general quirk of 3.5 D&D, evident in things like Power Attacking. We'll see what the general battle plan is once we actually get into the fight.

MoleMage
2013-05-12, 05:55 PM
I've still got a couple Scorching Ray/Acid Arrows/Blindess/Deafness and a few volleys of Magic Missile left, and of course my sword still holds Blindness in it. Nothing to really help with the ballista, but I can deafness or thunderstone any apparent mages (especially the non-dwarfy kind) if we need to. Plus my saves and touch armor class are all fairly good so I can close with a mage and apply sword to face.

Postmodernist
2013-05-12, 06:26 PM
Sounds like a plan. Do we have a plan? Where's Sal...? Sal, WE HAVE A PLAN! A REAL PLAN!

TheFallenOne
2013-05-12, 06:30 PM
We should probably animate the naga at a safe distance(100 feet?) If we manage to get a surprise round off that would be ideal(keep naga and Shard at the back of the formation to maximize spot/listen penalties for the guards).

I replace the tanglefoot bag I used with one from the guardroom loot.

Postmodernist
2013-05-12, 09:22 PM
Yeah, Xaxhan should replace the two he threw, or at least as many as he can. A thunderstone to every party member might be beneficial as well.

TekHed
2013-05-13, 12:53 AM
Two Ballistae....we might be hosed...

I'll have Shard go for the leftmost...it's closer and more lightly guarded. Still don't know if we'll be able to take them both out before one of them fires though.

Do we have an idea how/who is controlling them? That might be our best/only option...

TheFallenOne
2013-05-13, 04:29 AM
I think I've seen a ballista construct able to function without crew in one of the less often used splats. Heroes of Battle perhaps.

You should probably fire Protection Devotion while we're still close. If you go to the left ballista most of us will be out of reach when things get hot.

Who's controlling the naga? Moving it to K9/L10 looks good. That blocks out two of the Bs so we can focus on the enemies in the south.

Postmodernist
2013-05-13, 07:53 AM
I say Grimmy controls the naga, especially as he'll likely be nearby and has to control Drasil anyway. Did Shard activate Protection Devotion or not? He has something in his spoiler box about "when we cast the spell for the naga;" we already have it.

It looks like my best bet is to drop a Slow on the top two Bs, O and F. Sal, is there any distinction in appearance to be made between R, B, and F? I assume the large O is an ogre, as previously mentioned.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-13, 09:06 AM
Hrm, that does waste 3 out of 7 targets you can affect at your CL. Do you think it's worth it to open with IC instead and do Slow next turn when the bottom B and R closed in? It kind of depends on whether O and F have multiple attacks or something else they need full round actions for, which we can only guess at.

Postmodernist
2013-05-13, 09:31 AM
What of they're ranged fighters or spell casters? I think a slow on 4 targets is probably not a wasted action. Imperfect, perhaps, but not wasted. I could ready an action to cast if they group up, but if they dont, that action is wasted.

Sallera
2013-05-13, 10:29 AM
Bs look similar to the guards you've faced so far. F appears to be a captain of sorts. Rs are unarmoured, wearing what appear to be work aprons of some sort. O is indeed the ogre.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-13, 12:13 PM
I guess we may luck out and they're just civilians. It's rather reasonable that some common workers be at a dock. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking :smalltongue:

TekHed
2013-05-13, 12:26 PM
It was my understanding that Protection Devotion is an aura that only works when allies stay within 30'. If Sal rules otherwise, I can amend my action to include the swift activation, but as is I figured it wouldn't be of use if Shard is far away.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-13, 06:13 PM
uuh, that ogre is suffering. Now we just need Posty to come through with his already announced action to get this party started :smallamused:

Postmodernist
2013-05-13, 06:47 PM
The party has begun!

TekHed
2013-05-13, 08:35 PM
No thoughts on how we're going to deal with two ballistae before they are able to fire and sink our only way out of here?

TheFallenOne
2013-05-13, 08:53 PM
We can't stop them from firing. Only thing we can do is prevent them from getting off more than one or two shots each. Shard can get into AoO range for the one on the left next turn(I would assume it provokes when shooting). The other one though has a lot of meat in the way before we can reach it.

I'm not even sure Slow will affect it even if it is a construct. Same for Glitterdust. How do constructs without eyes 'see' where the enemy is?

TekHed
2013-05-13, 09:06 PM
So then, should I just ignore/eat the AoO from the guard in Shard's way and go straight to the ballista?

Postmodernist
2013-05-14, 05:22 AM
Insomniac Reflex save: ]1d20+9

That web is going to grant total cover and will greatly hamper our movement. Xaxhan can attempt a dispel. What do you guys think?

Postmodernist
2013-05-14, 05:23 AM
And I screw up my code syntax, appropriate for the late hour.

Insomniac re-roll Reflex save: [roll0]

TheFallenOne
2013-05-14, 05:58 AM
So then, should I just ignore/eat the AoO from the guard in Shard's way and go straight to the ballista?

You can't get past the R blocking your way, and beating up a caster is always a good idea anyway. That means another two shots at the ship, but I see absolutely no way of preventing that.

That web is going to grant total cover and will greatly hamper our movement. Xaxhan can attempt a dispel. What do you guys think?

Might be necessary. Or Xaxhan and Daiya are out of the fight unpleasantly long. I'm not liking how things look right now.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Well, made my save, but still can't move. Nasty spell. Delay after Xaxhan to benefit from Dispel, IC or whatever else he does.

Postmodernist
2013-05-14, 11:29 AM
I'm thinking Dispel first, then IC if that fails. If you're thinking about spending any action points, now is the time to do it.

On an unrelated-but-potentially-game-affecting note, I'm going through a difficult time personally right now. I don't want to burden you guys or the game, but I'd be remiss if failed to mention that this might have a direct impact on my postings. It very well may not, but I just want to give you guys a heads up.

MoleMage
2013-05-14, 01:34 PM
Reflex [roll0]

TekHed
2013-05-14, 02:18 PM
Will: [roll0]

TekHed
2013-05-14, 02:29 PM
Critty time: [roll0]
[roll1]

Nice, double 19's. Go to sleep now dwarf. :smallcool:

TheFallenOne
2013-05-14, 02:50 PM
That was important. Now you can get to the ballista before it fires a third shot.

Wish you all the best Posty :smallsmile: please remember to roll the Dispel dice, neither Molemage nor I can act before we know the result of that. Success is crucial, so don't be afraid to use two Action Points on it.

So, my game plan:
Shard can attack the left ballista come Turn 3.

Daiya, Grimmgang and Drasil should focus on the ogre to free up the middle. If I get a good Mountain Hammer in I might do it on my own, which frees up Daiya for other interesting options. Assuming the ogre falls and the Web is dispeled I can attack the lower ballista on Turn 3 as well, both Grimmgang and Drasil will have a charge line unless bottom B and R block the path.That game plan would get us some damage on both ballistas before they fire third shots, but leaves the center in peril with our two squishier party members against the seemingly formidable F and 3 Bs. That confrontation would look more promising if I keep Grimmgang there, but just Drasil to handle the ballista is too little. Maybe Drasil to melee the ballista with Daiya to give supporting spellfire?

TekHed
2013-05-14, 03:18 PM
Unfortunately I won't get access to Mountain Hammer until round 4...

Is it allowed to use more than one Action Point at a time?

Sallera
2013-05-14, 03:20 PM
Not that you should be allowing your maneuver order to influence your actions, of course, since it's information you're not supposed to have access to. :3

Nope, one AP per round, as I recall.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-14, 03:24 PM
At some level you are allowed to use 2 on a single roll. Can't remember whether it was 7th or 8th, but pretty sure one of those.

TekHed
2013-05-14, 03:35 PM
Not that you should be allowing your maneuver order to influence your actions, of course, since it's information you're not supposed to have access to. :3

Nope, one AP per round, as I recall.

Well I'm still going to hit it of course. I just won't hit it as hard as I'm able to until round 4.

And of course let me know once I'm adjacent if I get an AoO for it firing.

Sallera
2013-05-14, 04:00 PM
Oh, that. Didn't that give you 2d6b1 when you use an AP, rather than giving you two APs?

TekHed
2013-05-14, 04:05 PM
Yes.

http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/action-point

Postmodernist
2013-05-14, 06:36 PM
Action Point for Dispel check:

[roll0]

I'd suggest someone try and shut down the casters. Xaxhan is out of 3rd level spells, and has 1 2nd level spell remaining, having burned two slots via Versatile Spellcaster for Dispel Magic. He could eke out another 2nd level spell by blowing two of his remaining 1st level slots. With four uses of Bardic Music remaining, he can currently apply another 3rd level spell, but each future use drops that spell level down.

Edit: Ouch. 12 dispel check total. That would only shut down a 1st level caster. Please advise. Go straight to DFI and/or IC, or what?

TheFallenOne
2013-05-14, 06:41 PM
Oh, that. Didn't that give you 2d6b1 when you use an AP, rather than giving you two APs?

Oh. My bad.

Well, 12 won't cut it so better throw a second d6. The web HAS to go.

Postmodernist
2013-05-14, 06:42 PM
Can I throw another d6? I thought it was one AP per round total.

What's that blasted feat that lets you take ten on caster level checks? Arcane Mastery?

EDIT: Reading, TekHed's wiki page says nothing specific about spending multiple APs per round, just that you can only spend the points once per round.

Ruling, Sal?

TheFallenOne
2013-05-14, 06:47 PM
Nevermind, that's level 8+, not 7+. Bah. That sucks... Can't Skirmish, can't flank, and with Entangled I'll have trouble hitting. This spell messed so much up.

Postmodernist
2013-05-14, 06:50 PM
We're still probably ok. I will edit my post- Xaxhan does have a move action to spend, at least. We need a coningency plan, however.

I could blow ALL of my bardic music attempts for another dispel shot, then spend 2 AP to activate another use of bardic music for IC or DFI. Just an option.

Sallera
2013-05-14, 06:53 PM
You, ah, might also want to keep in mind the DC15+spell level Concentration check required to cast while entangled, Xaxhan being one of the rare spellcasters for whom that's a real problem.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-14, 07:03 PM
Hm wait, in the smithy fight we said the strength check is for entering a square, not leaving. Does this mean, since I'm at the edge of the effect and made the save, I can simply move out at no penalty?

TekHed
2013-05-14, 07:23 PM
The wiki I posted (taken directly from the Eberron core book) is pretty explicit. Only one expenditure of AP per round, and only 1 point. At level 8-14 for 1 AP you roll 2d6 and take the best roll, discarding the others. Sal had it correct, but it's still not until next level.

After Shard deals with the Ballista on the left, I can double move to get back in range of the other guys. Once they are dealt with, I have a round of Freedom of Movement left so Shard can high-tail it to the southern Ballista if need be...

That was a crummy dispel roll though. :smallfrown:

MoleMage
2013-05-14, 08:56 PM
Yeah, natural four? Ew.

I can alchemist's fire us a path like last time if that would be helpful. Not much else I can from within the webs since it blocks line of effect past 20 feet.

Sallera
2013-05-14, 10:08 PM
Yeah, may as well keep that consistent. I do the same with difficult terrain, walls, balance checks, and the like.

TekHed
2013-05-14, 10:09 PM
Difficult terrain blocks line of effect? Why would some rocky ground get in the way of firing a ray at someone?

Sallera
2013-05-14, 10:35 PM
I was answering Fallen, not Mole.

Postmodernist
2013-05-15, 12:24 AM
You, ah, might also want to keep in mind the DC15+spell level Concentration check required to cast while entangled, Xaxhan being one of the rare spellcasters for whom that's a real problem.

Xaxhan autos his concentration check, since Lyric Spell allows him to use his performance skill for concentration checks.

EDIT: Correction, I meant Melodic Casting.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-15, 05:09 AM
[roll0]

Daiya only has 15 feet of web between herself and O and F, so she could still rain down damage spells.

edit: well, got 20 damage on the ogre. Not sure if that's enough.

Sallera
2013-05-15, 11:07 AM
Ah, figured I was missing something.

The naga doesn't retain its poison, by the way. Skeletons lose all special attacks of the base creature.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-15, 04:01 PM
Aww. Well, poison without fleshy bits sure belongs in the Su territory, but it does kind of look cool :smalltongue: Fair enough, I don't think DC 14 would have done much against dwarven melee anyway.

Ogre still standing after that Mountain Hammer?

Sallera
2013-05-15, 04:10 PM
Pretty sure, yeah.

Postmodernist
2013-05-15, 07:25 PM
At least the team is connecting pretty well/consistently.

Postmodernist
2013-05-16, 09:24 PM
Oof. Grimmy got hit pretty hard. Want DFI or another Dispel on the Web?

TheFallenOne
2013-05-17, 07:47 AM
Well, crap. That Benign Transposition messed up our plan to get at the ballista. Can we make any guess how many shots the ship can take?

Think Inspire Courage is best right now. DFI if you think things are bad enough to go for broke and accept the chance of fatalities.

[roll0]

Rest of action depends on whether ogre still stands, so Drasil's attack first
[roll1]
[roll2]
possible bardic bonuses on attack and/or damage

Sallera
2013-05-17, 10:52 AM
That won't kill the ogre (well, it might if you go the DFI route, but not otherwise).

Roll me a Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering for that estimate.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-17, 11:06 AM
Hrm, damn... Would have liked to see the ogre gone so I can worry about the caster first.

[roll0]

Sallera
2013-05-17, 11:19 AM
Fallen:One of the hits on this side was fairly superficial, but the other was a deep hole near the waterline; that's going to need, at the least, a minor patch or a lot of pumping. There's also a hint of smoke from the other side, although the Wyverns seem to be dealing with that. If the ballistae keep up their current efficacy, you'd guess the ship can take one more volley, if it's lucky, before it will need immediate repairs to have a hope of making it back to Port Verge.

TekHed
2013-05-17, 02:13 PM
Would it be unacceptably metagamey to have Shard delay until after IC is in place?

Sallera
2013-05-17, 02:34 PM
It would be quite odd without verbal communication of his intentions, since from Shard's perspective, he's buried in the middle of a web.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-17, 03:23 PM
well damn, Grimmgang produced total fail when trying to take out the second caster, even +4 IC wouldn't fix that. Perhaps the naga attack though depending on the ogre's armor.

I can reach the bottom ballista next turn unless the captain does something nasty.

TekHed
2013-05-17, 03:28 PM
Would a +4 IC *and* an action point do it?

If IC wouldn't benefit Shard or Grimmy then may as well dispel right?

TheFallenOne
2013-05-17, 03:38 PM
Axe attack was a Natural 1. It MIGHT save the unarmed, but the damage would probably not suffice for a dwarf.

Anyway, IC still helps the naga doing a likely fatal bite and Shard will benefit next turn, so it's still a decent pick. Plus, knowledge of my sucky rolls really shouldn't factor into Xaxhan's decision to sing or not to sing before I take my swing.

Postmodernist
2013-05-17, 04:00 PM
IC it is. Post forthcoming. I'm going to blow AP for it, so I can save for another dispel attempt by channeling my remaining bardic music uses.

TekHed
2013-05-17, 04:15 PM
I don't understand how AP translates into Bardic music...?

TheFallenOne
2013-05-17, 04:17 PM
Apart from the +d6 you can use AP to get additional uses of limited class features like Bardic Music, Rage and Smite.

Sallera
2013-05-17, 04:20 PM
Moving through a Web's a full-round action, by the way.

Postmodernist
2013-05-17, 04:23 PM
Apart from the +d6 you can use AP to get additional uses of limited class features like Bardic Music, Rage and Smite.

This. You can also use it to automatically stabilize, and some feats/class features let you do other stuff with them.

This allows me to save BM uses that I then convert into spell levels via Lyric Spellcaster. Basically, Xaxhan is designed to be able to convert bardic music into generic bonuses (IC), spells, raw damage (DFI), or melee ability (Snowflake Wardance). He's not super specialized, but he's pretty versatile/flexible. Speaking of which, how many rounds do we suspect we have? Xaxhan may need two more rounds to escape the web: 1 to cast Improvisation for some bonus luck points for the dispel check/escape artist rolls, and 1 more round to blow his bardic music uses on another casting of Dispel Magic. Will that be enough time, or is there something better for him to be doing, like applying DFI? With total cover from everyone, he's safe, but relatively useless.

EDIT: I'll remove the pointless movement attempt from my post. In fact, this partially answers my initial question: trying for another dispel looks like the better choice.

TekHed
2013-05-17, 04:38 PM
Ah. I didn't know that. Any chance it would apply to turn attempts as well?

TheFallenOne
2013-05-17, 05:02 PM
As a matter of fact yes. 2 AP gives you a Turn attempt. Not really economic unless you desperately need it.

TekHed
2013-05-17, 05:20 PM
Yeah that's no bueno. 6 AP for a devotion feat is definitely NOT worth it...

In any case, is that an exception to the rule that you can't spend more than one at a time?

Postmodernist
2013-05-17, 11:39 PM
I think so. It's in the early portion of the Eberron sourcebook. I believe it's under the heading "heroic characteristics." Your link might list it as well, though I'd have to check.

Sallera
2013-05-18, 01:11 AM
Yeah, the precise wording is that you "can only use action points once in a round."

TekHed
2013-05-18, 01:16 AM
So then...conceivably we could spend more than one at a time?

Sallera
2013-05-18, 01:25 AM
If you mean boost a single roll twice, no. You spend a point to boost it, that's a use.

TekHed
2013-05-18, 01:43 AM
But you just quoted that action points (plural) may only be spent once in a round. So why not blow more than one when you really need it? (Is that not the point?)

Mole! Blastificate por favor!

Postmodernist
2013-05-18, 11:59 AM
If you mean boost a single roll twice, no. You spend a point to boost it, that's a use.

I'm pretty sure this is RAI, though there is a bit of wiggle room in the vagaries of RAW that I've seen DMs interpret it differently in the past. Sal's interpretation is without doubt the overwhelming standard in my role-playing experience, and I've only seen a handful of exceptions, typically with lenient/rules light DMs.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-18, 04:16 PM
Just remember the positive part: next level we can roll 2d6b1 when using an Action Point. Vastly decreases the chance of "Only need a two or better to make the save... Crap!"

Postmodernist
2013-05-18, 05:12 PM
We're just waiting on Mole to post for Daiya, right? Although this looks like a tough fight, we're making steady progress, it looks like. Wish that naga were able to take advantage of its size more, but I'm generally pleased. Now to get Xaxhan out to do something useful.

TekHed
2013-05-18, 05:26 PM
Moooooole!

TheFallenOne
2013-05-20, 07:43 AM
well, we're easily into NPCing time. Vote for Magic Missile on the guard captain.

TekHed
2013-05-20, 10:06 AM
Seconded. Two-thirds of voting members present. Motion carries. :smallbiggrin:

MoleMage
2013-05-20, 10:34 AM
Sorry about that. I was out of town for the weekend and expected to be online and never managed to get a few minutes to log on. I'm back at my home now though.

Postmodernist
2013-05-20, 10:28 PM
Huzzah! That will dispel the magic of a 6th level caster. Did that work, Sal? If so, I'll be adding some movement into my action, along with a descriptive element to the post.

Sallera
2013-05-20, 10:43 PM
Yeah, that'll work.

Postmodernist
2013-05-20, 11:26 PM
Awesome. Edit forthcoming.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-21, 12:46 AM
Hrm, so that guard tanked Shard's blow, but at least the ballista did stop messing up our ride...

Grimmgang's been misplaced one square. I moved to K17 so I can reach the bottom ballista this turn.

Postmodernist
2013-05-21, 01:01 AM
We need to advance our plan. That ballista needs to be stopped. Could it be shoved into the water? Any target priorities? I imagine the captain is nearly dead. Drasil and Grimmy should be able to take the bottom, the naga and Xaxhan should be able to handle the guards, despite their weaker combat abilities. Shard has the top covered. Daiya can either finish off the captain or assist wherever she's needed most.

Any comments? I'll probably drop a few more spells ASAP.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-21, 01:33 AM
Nearly dead? :smallconfused: He didn't receive a single point of damage yet. Though the naga's bite should put a dent in him. Forgot +4 attack from IC btw, not that I expect it makes a difference whether it got a 22 or 26.

Things look better now. The Bs need a turn to drink the potions, another to get their weapons back. Slow is awesome. Drasil should be able to put them to sleep. No idea what the ballista can take, but next turn I got Mountain Hammer which should 'hurt' it decently well.

The naga is at 27/58 HP

TekHed
2013-05-21, 05:13 AM
I did 28 damage, then the mechanic healed back half of it, then I did 28 again. Ratcheting away!

Anyone else curious what R and B stand for respectively? Why not 'M' for mechanic? Why not 'G' for guard?

Sallera
2013-05-21, 09:04 AM
B is blockguard, their title in the book (G was taken, obviously). I don't remember what the R stood for, to be honest...

Wall of Blades on the naga attack, while I'm here: [roll0]

Postmodernist
2013-05-21, 09:24 AM
Nearly dead? :smallconfused: He didn't receive a single point of damage yet.

Huh. I must have gotten him confused with the ogre and/or the guards somewhere in the mix. Daiya should perhaps concentrate on him, then. Maybe Drasil, too.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-21, 09:28 AM
yeah I urged focus on him before, but getting attacks/AoOs on the Bs before they can heal was just too tempting. And damn, still no scratch on him with Wall of Blades.

Dreadhold. Where pantry guards are Warblade 3 and the captain Warblade 7. That's one hardcore place by Eberron standards :smallbiggrin: Loving it.

TekHed
2013-05-21, 01:35 PM
Wall of Blades. Nice!

Awesome to use it to bat down rays lightsabers style.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-21, 03:25 PM
Yeah, a lovely maneuver. Iron Heart really is my favourite discipline.

Soon we'll be together, Absolute Steel. Soon...

Postmodernist
2013-05-21, 08:13 PM
Yeah, kudos to Sal for making this challenging!

MoleMage
2013-05-21, 08:58 PM
Sal, since I've got it ready for next turn...what're the rules on using two-weapon fighting with a touch spell and a melee weapon? If he's within a five foot step that's my plan if I can do it. I think the off hand weapon should be considered light; that's -4/-8 to hit without the feat. But! the offhand would be touch and the IC would offset the other...

Sallera
2013-05-21, 09:16 PM
Yeah, count a touch spell as a light weapon.

Postmodernist
2013-05-21, 09:19 PM
Sal, you rule for keeping up the pace of this game.

EDIT: 5' Step back and magic, or tumble into flank and let Xaxhan actually get his hands dirty?

TekHed
2013-05-21, 10:02 PM
You asking me? I dunno. You can't SFWD anymore right? Also consider dwarves get bonuses to saving throws vs. Spells so choose wisely...

TheFallenOne
2013-05-21, 11:11 PM
My apologies, I have been really inconsistent with applying Inspire Courage last turn. The attack on the ballista should have been a 21, for 14 damage.

AoO on ballista
[roll0] [roll1]

Postmodernist
2013-05-21, 11:12 PM
How does Xaxhan not have Grease yet?!? I could SFWD by expending two more AP and converting them into Bardic Music and expending that, but that would leave me with a mere 2. Then again, I'm a little over 4000 XP from leveling, so it may not hurt too badly. Besides, +9 from IC to hit isn't terrible, and there's the offhand claw attack or bite. There's always Sound Burst, which has no save on the damage.

Apologies for asking this question again. I used to know this sort of thing backwards and forwards, but I keep forgetting of late. It makes me feel rather dim. Let me make sure I've got this right, too: Trogs get Multiattack. So, can I:

make a sword/claw (or sword/bite)taking -2/-2 to each?
make sword/claw/bite taking (uncertain of penalties)?
not make a claw because of weird interactions between iteratives, natural weapons and manufactured weapons?
something else entirely?

TekHed
2013-05-21, 11:32 PM
I think you can full attack with iteratives, then take your natural attacks as secondary attacks (at 1/2 str damage) at -2.

Postmodernist
2013-05-21, 11:46 PM
So it'd be sword at +9, claw and bite at +7 each?

TheFallenOne
2013-05-21, 11:53 PM
Yes, that is correct. If you combine attacking with manufactured weapons with natural weapons the natural ones are always secondary, at the appropriate penalties(-5, -2 with Multiattack). The manufactured weapons suffer no penalties from this.

Postmodernist
2013-05-22, 12:19 AM
That sounds good. Three swings is a decent attack sequence. I'll go for that. Post forthcoming.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-22, 12:37 AM
Doing multiple attacks still requires a full attack, so you can't move and get the secondaries. You can though get both guards into range with a 5 foot step, but lose flanking.

Are you doing lethal or nonlethal?

Postmodernist
2013-05-22, 01:12 AM
Gah! I keep forgetting things like this.

Also forgot about the nonlethal. That takes 6 points from my rolls. Still, two hits were pretty decent, so I'll just 5' step and full attack. Modification forthcoming.

MoleMage
2013-05-22, 01:35 PM
Curse You Miss Chance! I Had A Crit Threat!

TheFallenOne
2013-05-22, 03:48 PM
so we STILL haven't scratched the sucker :smallbiggrin:

But when you do hit you should use the Blindness in the sword. Sure, he likely has a very good save, but it's not like there are other suitable targets left.

TekHed
2013-05-22, 03:54 PM
Shard gets to Mountain Hammer this coming round. It won't take long for Drasil and Xax to take care of the guards. The Commander is going to find himself surrounded in short order...

Haha. -Short- order. :smalltongue:

MoleMage
2013-05-22, 05:22 PM
Was planning on it for the Blindness. As long as he stands his ground this turn I should be able to smack him with both attacks.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-22, 07:50 PM
I was just punched by a ballista. My D&D experience is now complete.

You know, it would be pretty funny if we come this close to getting through a Dradhold prison break without killing a Kundarak only for that R managing to drown himself after voluntarily taking a dive...

Postmodernist
2013-05-22, 08:18 PM
I was just punched by a ballista. My D&D experience is now complete.

You know, it would be pretty funny if we come this close to getting through a Dradhold prison break without killing a Kundarak only for that R managing to drown himself after voluntarily taking a dive...

There are so many awesome things that only a gamer can appreciate going on in this post.

TekHed
2013-05-22, 10:01 PM
I've been thinking about that a bit. Don't you think it's going to be odd when all the dwarves wake up or get untied, compare notes, and realize we didn't actually use lethal force? Won't that undermine our cover story?

Furthermore, we are a very distinctive group. A tumbling dwarf, a blindfolded knight, a singing Trog, and a glowing crystal man. It wouldn't be hard for Dreadhold/Kundarak to put out a bounty for us anyways...

Edit: Also Posty, I vote Xax not let the retreating guard get away to sound an alarm and bring in more reinforcements when we're almost tapped out of resources...

TheFallenOne
2013-05-22, 10:10 PM
It's reasonable enough that an internationally operating group like the Emerald Claw wouldn't want the Kundaraks as an enemy. It's perhaps a little out of character for them to spare someone, but not so much it instantly blows our story, especially with the skeleton naga reinforcing it.

That thing really was worth it. We'd probably already have a fatality if it didn't draw attention and damage. Which included absorbing a x3 crit threat Mountain Hammer.

TekHed
2013-05-22, 10:15 PM
D'oh! Syntax...

[roll0]

Ignoring DR so that oughtta do it.

Postmodernist
2013-05-22, 10:19 PM
We discussed this already. Kundarak is powerful as hell, even a group of suicidal zealots like The Claw would have good reason not to earn their wrath by indiscriminately killing them if they needed to liberate something from Dreadhold. That fact alone doesn't blow our cover story.

As for being distinctive, there's little we can do but hope for conflicting stories. Remember Xaxhan didn't transform into a troglodyte until after our encouter with the smith, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272242&page=2) so some guards saw one thing, while others another. Being a dwarf doesn't hurt Grimmgang all that much either, considering the territory. I'm not sure if Daiya has had the blindfold on the entire time, but there's not much we can do to address that. Shard is, well, maybe they'll think he's warforged. Plus, there was lot of confusion, I'm sure. They'll probably interrogate some of the prisoners who saw us, and who knows what they'll say, or how believable the Kundarak leaders will find that information. A prisoner might tell them anything for better treatment, or they might lie or distort their stories out of spite.

The point of the exercise was not simply to provide cover for ourselves. It was to cast enough scrutiny on the Claw to keep them tied up. A Kundarak investigation or attack or whatever ties up Claw resources, which keeps them out of our hair. Additionally, it forces Kundarak (a powerful group we unfortunately had to piss off in order to achieve our goals) from at least completely running out and putting prices on our heads or the equivalent. In fact, I doubt they'll even do much directly, because it's not good for their business if their impenetrable island prison of doom was successfully broken into by a completely radical four man team (ok, a 1 man, 1 dwarf, 1 woman, and 1 crystal guy team) of adventurers.

In summation: a disguise is better than no disguise.

Tactically, while we're on the subject- should we let the guard flee? I'm tempted to have Xaxhan charge the captain, but I feel like incapacitating the spellcaster might be more important. Of course, I'd prefer not to kill him. There's also the matter of the fires on the boat.

EDIT: Partially ninja'd.

TekHed
2013-05-22, 10:21 PM
I edited my post above with my vote. We don't want that guard to get away or call reinforcements. We need time to loot the bodies before we ship out!!! :smallbiggrin:

Postmodernist
2013-05-22, 10:24 PM
It's worth mentioning that that guard is Slowed. He won't even make it out of the door next round, I suspect. That said, it would be hilarious to tag him with a tanglefoot bag.

TekHed
2013-05-22, 10:26 PM
Hmm..if the ballista goes down to Shard's hit, I can double move next round and intercept him as well.

That would probably be better, letting Xaxhan deal with the more pressing threats, since Shard will have to double move next round regardless.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-22, 10:36 PM
In fact, I doubt they'll even do much directly, because it's not good for their business if their impenetrable island prison of doom was successfully broken into by a completely radical four man team (ok, a 1 man, 1 dwarf, 1 woman, and 1 crystal guy team) of adventurers.

Exactly that was my thought. They have a reputation to lose, and if we get through this without killing anyone(well, the ogre, but chances are he's more a pile of useful muscle than a treasured friend) they might not be sufficiently motivated to announce the happenings here to the world and start a manhunt on us. The Kundaraks aren't just an organization, they are also a clan and family. Each one we kill will have close relatives and friends who will be quite mad at us. And dwarves have Superior Hold Grudge as a racial feat.

Knocking that guard out just for completion's sake would be good, as of now nobody seems to have raised a general alarm so if we knock everyone here out we have more time for the escape. You can't get at the caster as he's underwater. And probably running out of magical juice soon enough anyway.

Postmodernist
2013-05-22, 10:45 PM
Xaxhan can squeeze out a little more mojo if necessary. I think the caster is the best choice. Assuming standard caster stuff, Fort would be the save to target. My concern is that a Sound Burst on the caster might start him drowning if he fails, and we've just reiterated why we're trying to avoid fatalities.

TekHed
2013-05-22, 10:51 PM
Well they might not announce it. They might just hire some Phiarlan or Thuranni assassins to come after us, and the assassins won't care why exactly we are being targeted...

Postmodernist
2013-05-22, 10:57 PM
Shhh! Stop giving Sal new totally awesome adventure hook ideas!

TekHed
2013-05-22, 11:01 PM
I'm just sayin'...

And I hope there are plenty of threads left dangling for us (and especially Sal) to want to continue on past the end of the module.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-22, 11:01 PM
I'd rather deal with assassins than have a WANTED poster with my face on it displayed in every town square.

TekHed
2013-05-23, 12:26 AM
If F's AC is greater than 20, Xaxhan just scored out first knick!

And ouch, nasty hit on Daiya.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-23, 06:40 AM
So we let that last guard go after all? Well, at least Xaxhan now gives me +2 Flanking.

Postmodernist
2013-05-23, 09:05 AM
I thought we had decided to let Shard address him, since he'll have to double move anyway.

TekHed
2013-05-23, 10:44 AM
Yeah I'll get 'im.

Postmodernist
2013-05-23, 08:28 PM
No worries on the double move. It would have been nice to hit him, though.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-23, 08:44 PM
Thanks for showing us your belt is magic, sucker :smallbiggrin:

We're probably in too much of a hurry to strip them off potentially magic armor, but grabbing their weapons and the belt should be rather quick.

If one of you includes a 5 foot step in his action that would allow me to move the 10 feet I need for Skirmish.

Postmodernist
2013-05-23, 09:38 PM
Xaxhan is the best candidate for that, though that might cost you flanking.

We could take their unconscious bodies aboard, hold them for ransom... Just thinking outside the box.

TekHed
2013-05-23, 09:39 PM
Ooh! Healing Belt has been on my wishlist. :smallbiggrin:

Damn the ballista is one touh sumbich eh? If I can take it down this round I should still be able to run down the fleeing guard.

Sal, does the ballista seem to Shard like it's pretty haggard or does it still seem to have quite a bit of fight left?

TheFallenOne
2013-05-23, 09:51 PM
We could take their unconscious bodies aboard, hold them for ransom... Just thinking outside the box.

That's only asking for trouble. I'd leave them all where they are.

Sallera
2013-05-23, 10:26 PM
It's hard to tell with a construct. They don't really show expressions, and sometimes breaking things doesn't really do as much as you'd think it would. But it has certainly taken a noticeable amount of damage.

Postmodernist
2013-05-23, 11:39 PM
Hmmm, we have 2 damaged constructs, a blind dude, a slowed dude, and a semi-drowning dude. I think we have the upper hand. I'll wait until you guys have taken actions before having Xaxhan mop up.

TekHed
2013-05-24, 12:08 AM
Er...well if the Ballista does not go down this turn, they Xax better go back after the fleeing guy or we may have problems.

I hit the Ballista this round, he moves 10 feet. I double move to line up a charge, he moves 10 feet...right to the edge of the map (and I don't wanna know what happens if gets off the map and activates any further defenses, or Syberis forbid, an alarm. If Shard downs the ballista, I'll be able to charge him *just* before he moves again...

But yeah, if this construct is still kicking, please have Xax finish him off, pretty please. No loose ends...

UPDATE:

So, that's the last of my juice.

ALSO...Just did a count. We are now in round 7. Xaxhan cast slow on round 1, which means (if he is caster level 7) that it expires at the end of round 8, which means it wears off *just* before Shard would be able to get him...so yeah, down to the wire.

Shard activated Law Devotion in round 2 which means it lasts until the end of round 12, that's plenty of time.

Xaxhan activated IC in round 3. Does he have a harmonizing weapon? Since Xaxhan cast a spell on round 4 he had to stop singing, which means IC is also going to end at the end of round 8 if the blade didn't pick it up.

So let's take these fools down!

Sal...did that kill the Ballista? I'm dying to know!

Sallera
2013-05-24, 12:44 AM
Oh, I keep forgetting to mention it, but I'll be away until Sunday/more-likely-Monday, so the conclusion of the battle will have to wait.

TekHed
2013-05-24, 12:46 AM
Damn! I always forget about my knowledge devotion!

Man this would have been the perfect time to use it!

Knowledge Arcana: [roll0]

That's +2 to attack and damage. Sal, since I just posted before I remembered would you let that apply to my current attack?

And either way would that tell me how close I am to defeating it (assuming my last attack didn't do it in...)

Edit: Ninja'd! Boohoo...we've been on such a hotstreak all week! Anyways, have a great Memorial Day Sal. :smallwink:

Edit 2: Fallen did Grimm really just do slashing and piercing damage last round or did you mean nonlethal?

TheFallenOne
2013-05-24, 07:24 AM
Anyways, have a great Memorial Day Sal. :smallwink:

Edit 2: Fallen did Grimm really just do slashing and piercing damage last round or did you mean nonlethal?

Uh, I don't think Canadians care all that much about that :smalltongue:

He's Warblade 7, and a dwarf to boot. He can take a bit of lethal damage without risk of dying.

Postmodernist
2013-05-24, 05:32 PM
Xaxhan has a harmonizing weapon, so no worries there. But, yeah, the slow will be wearing off soon.

TekHed
2013-05-24, 09:44 PM
Uh, I don't think Canadians care all that much about that :smalltongue:

Who wouldn't care about a 3 day weekend? :smallconfused:

He's Warblade 7, and a dwarf to boot. He can take a bit of lethal damage without risk of dying.

Oh, I see how it is now. If any of us so much as nicks one of your precious dwarves there's hell to pay, but it's okay if Grimmy runs them through because he's a dwarf. Now that's just racist! :smalltongue:

TheFallenOne
2013-05-24, 09:59 PM
Nah, it's more you need a few ~15 damage hits to 'run through' a Warblade 7(he wouldn't do that on one of the common guards for fear of crit-killing). Greatsword crits on an Artificer on the other hand...

A couple of cuts is really nothing he cares about long as you make sure they are not fatal. If Shard switched to nonlethal after the first hit all would have been fair and well. But you did come quite close to killing him, and may well have if he had fewer HP.

Who wouldn't care about a 3 day weekend?

Uh, perhaps people from a place where Memorial Day isn't actually a holiday? Like, every place except the US far as wikipedia tells me.

TekHed
2013-05-24, 11:44 PM
You poor non-Americans! (I jest! I jest!)

Edit: In other news, I think you guys just might have knocked the Captain out (since he was desperate enough to blow all of his healing belt charges).

Postmodernist
2013-05-25, 08:07 PM
It suddenly occurs to me that I could have completed a full attack sequence there. Bah.

TekHed
2013-05-25, 10:27 PM
Well there is still time to edit bedfore Sal see's it!

...not that it probably matters. The dwarf was probably knocked out by Grimmgang's love-tap on the chin and y'all have been beating on an unconscious dwarf...

Postmodernist
2013-05-25, 10:32 PM
Well there is still time to edit bedfore Sal see's it!

...not that it probably matters. The dwarf was probably knocked out by Grimmgang's love-tap on the chin and y'all have been beating on an unconscious dwarf...

This is what I suspect.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-26, 07:17 AM
Yeah, good chance we took care of the captain and the ballistae. Things went well, didn't look that good some turns ago.

Tek, remember that your attack just takes a standard action. So if it destroys the ballista you have a move action left to go after the last B.

TekHed
2013-05-26, 07:59 AM
Aha! Thanks! Sal, please note that if Shard destroys the ballista I take a move action after B.

That should let me catch up to him even sooner! ^_^

Yanno in that first round, I could only fail on a 1, but if I had, it would have taken me out presumably for most of the fight.

...you guys should probably rescue the drowning dwarf though...

TheFallenOne
2013-05-26, 09:15 AM
But, but... It would be funny if he drowns -.-

Postmodernist
2013-05-26, 10:42 AM
I've been trying to think of a way to simultaneously incapacitate him while keeping him alive. We'd have to toss him something to keep him afloat and then Glitterdust him or something. I thought about dumping/dropping a tanglefoot bag on him, but I'm not sure how that would interact with the water or keep him from drowning.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-26, 10:56 AM
We can just toss him something that floats he can hang onto. Lots of wooden crates around.

Postmodernist
2013-05-26, 10:57 AM
We need a pithy send off line, too. It wouldn't be properly cinematic without that.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-26, 11:10 AM
Looks like that dwarf
:smallamused:==>:smallcool:
Needed a drink

YEEAH!

Postmodernist
2013-05-26, 01:16 PM
Like most dwarves, he only enjoys a short swim.

Postmodernist
2013-05-27, 09:06 PM
Will save: [roll0]

Oh, for Pete's sake...

Daiya, you're gonna have to guide Xaxhan's blind ass.

MoleMage
2013-05-27, 10:05 PM
I can teach you the way of Daredevil and Sangwaan; we will give you the ability to see with your other senses! Or we can wait out the 12 to 30 seconds.

If I'm blindfolded do I still need to make a save against the bright light?

If so [roll0].

TekHed
2013-05-27, 10:54 PM
Sal Shard should only be at E6 (movement of 30' with focus expended). Doesn't really make a difference for the round though as B is still in range regardless.

TekHed
2013-05-27, 10:55 PM
Oops. Forgot save: [roll0]

TekHed
2013-05-28, 12:53 AM
Threat! [roll0]
Nonlethal: [roll1]

TheFallenOne
2013-05-28, 08:21 AM
come on Drasil, finish it!
[roll0] [roll1]

[roll2] +2 racial

heh. Good thing this didn't happen at the onset of the fight.