View Full Version : Eyes of the Lich Queen OOC II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

TheFallenOne
2013-05-28, 05:01 PM
right, duration [roll0]

Postmodernist
2013-05-28, 05:21 PM
Duration: [roll0]

I just reread the description of Pyrotechnics, and there's good news: it extinguishes the fire.

Sallera
2013-05-28, 05:30 PM
Did I miss Drasil's Will save in there somewhere?

TheFallenOne
2013-05-28, 05:32 PM
no, I did :smallredface:

[roll0]
[roll1]

aww crud :smallsigh:

Sallera
2013-05-28, 05:34 PM
So, out of a total of eight characters on the field, not counting the pirates, a DC14 spell got five of them. :3

TheFallenOne
2013-05-28, 05:39 PM
Hey, we had to throw you a bone after we shrugged off every other save :smalltongue:

TekHed
2013-05-28, 07:08 PM
Remeber to loot! We need loot!

MoleMage
2013-05-28, 07:24 PM
Sal, I'm not sure how many Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, or mixed checks I just made, so let me know how many rolls to make. For my future reference (or if you want to just streamline things by rolling yourself which I'm also okay with)

Daiya Bluff: +2
Daiya Diplomacy: +10
Daiya Intimidate: +2
Daiya Disguise (Stay in Character): +2

[roll0] Listen for incoming
[roll1] Listen used as Search

Postmodernist
2013-05-28, 08:23 PM
Bluff, bluff, bluff the drowning dwarven guard!

TheFallenOne
2013-05-29, 01:50 PM
Don't forget there's still an intact ballista at the bottom, as Drasil missed from blindness.

By the way, fellow Eberron enthusiasts, I've been making a character for an upcoming Red Hand of Doom game. I am quite happy with the result, but if one of you wants to proofread Furywing (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=521735) and perhaps has a suggestion or two on fluff and build I would quite welcome it.

Postmodernist
2013-05-30, 09:33 AM
Cool character, TFO, though I'm probably not well versed enough on the Magic of Incarnum rules to submit any comment. I'm jealous. I recently started a RHoD campaign in a generic-ish setting, but the DM flaked out after the first encounter. It might still be in my sig, actually. It was rather disappointing, especially since my Paladin/Crusader/RKV was a hobgoblin slaying machine.

Sallera
2013-05-31, 12:50 AM
Loot not claimed by pirates:
3 masterwork battleaxes
3 masterwork heavy spiked steel shields
3 masterwork light crossbows
scroll (faint abjuration)
dwarven urgrosh (magic)
battleaxe (magic, large)
4 potions (faint conjuration)
2 potions (unknown aura)
6 tanglefoot bags
3 thunderstones
Healing Belt (you've got one, you saw him use it, you know what it is :smalltongue:)
52g, 20s
1 Jukkeam

The ogre's chainmail is also magic, if you want to spend the time to strip chainmail from a dead ogre.

TekHed
2013-05-31, 01:33 AM
Sal, I take it my crit took down the fleeing dwarf handily?

And, och...forgot we promised part of the loot to the pirates. :smallsigh:

Edit: ...which we totally didn't! (at least, not that I could find when I skimmed that page). I suppose they did take some risk transporting us though, and their ship got punctured pretty harsh. :smalltongue:

Also...between the battle on the Emerald Claw Ship, and 5 fights in Dreadhold we are in for some tasty xp soon!

I was just thinking how cool and messed up it would have been to have another of those undead crustal thingys and have used it on the Ogre as soon as it went down... :smallbiggrin:

MoleMage
2013-05-31, 01:42 AM
We've got a few guys and after a bit the rest of the team will have sight. Yeah grab the chainmail off the ogre, we can make that part of the pirates' share; valuable but not directly useful to us.

TekHed
2013-05-31, 01:44 AM
Hey Mole, best to sense motive on whatever that dwarf answers... :smallwink:

Sallera
2013-05-31, 09:30 AM
And, och...forgot we promised part of the loot to the pirates. :smallsigh:

Edit: ...which we totally didn't!

Look, when you ask a bunch of pirates for help looting... :smalltongue:

TheFallenOne
2013-05-31, 09:59 AM
It does seem somewhat in character :smalltongue:

I'm quite impressed we managed to get through this with nonlethal penalty and lack of DFI. Well done crew!

MoleMage
2013-05-31, 01:56 PM
It seemed like a prudent choice at the time.

Taking 20 on Sense Motive using Detect Lies (my second use this day I believe). Result=30.
[roll0] Diplomacy.

Postmodernist
2013-05-31, 05:01 PM
Wohoo! Good job everyone. Kudos to Mole for that last scene- Daiya was very stern and convincing while remaining honorable. I liked the characterization.

TheFallenOne
2013-05-31, 05:06 PM
Yeah, she delivered that really well. Only bad thing is their captain will only hear it second-hand, but I think overall we did well on our Emerald Claw bluff, regularly throwing in new fake evidence in the course of the raid.

I think sorting out all the loot will be some work ^^ at least we can already Identify a couple of the things during the journey.

TekHed
2013-05-31, 05:18 PM
Look, when you ask a bunch of pirates for help looting... :smalltongue:

Damn! I hope they didn't scavenge all of the best stuff!!!

Also, I'm hoping that with a week of uninterrupted downtime, I can finally research a new power.

Congratulations everyone!

You know...I really like the way Sal balances these encounters. There is always tension, and so far we always manage to succeed, but just barely at the cost of all of our resources. It's like we have *just* enough to get by...

TheFallenOne
2013-05-31, 05:23 PM
I think the basterds took the '1 Jukkeam' from our loot.

TekHed
2013-05-31, 05:31 PM
I like how you misspelled 'basterds' the same way as the (my favorite) Tarantino film. :smalltongue:

TheFallenOne
2013-05-31, 05:41 PM
Say I misspelled it again! Say I misspelled it again! I dare you, I double-dare you Aberrant Stained Glass Window! Say I misspelled it one more goddamn time!

Postmodernist
2013-05-31, 05:52 PM
What does the Lord of Blades look like?!?

TheFallenOne
2013-05-31, 05:59 PM
Black. Metal. Bald.

Damn. That works out pretty well.
Do you think any of the Kundaraks hid a magic item in their ass? And if they did, would you have retrieved it?

TekHed
2013-05-31, 06:00 PM
Does he LOOK like a bitch???

TheFallenOne
2013-05-31, 06:07 PM
Not without Baleful Polymorph I'm afraid.

Postmodernist
2013-05-31, 06:09 PM
"Ms. Merrix D'Cannith apparently got a footrub." "A footrub?" "A footrub." "And Mr. Merrix D'Cannith threw this poor gnomish sucker out a window Sharn Skytower for a footrub?"

TekHed
2013-05-31, 06:34 PM
...and this is why our OOC threads are 3 times as long as our IC threads!

TheFallenOne
2013-06-01, 10:04 AM
I compiled the loot we gathered. Quite a lot.

Cloud Reavers
Non-magical:
3 mwk cutlasses
3 mwk daggers(1 Grimmgang)
mwk composite+4 longbow
mwk net
16 arrows
2 kama
7 shuriken
1 poisoned shuriken
10 tindertwigs(3 Grimmgang)
3 smokesticks(1 Grimmgang)
bag of caltrops
3 tanglefoot bags
4 antitoxins(1 Xaxhan)
20p, 121g, 16s, 5c
assorted jewellery worth ~400g
Magical:
small jar of... something (transmutation)
bag of dust (illusion)
Ring of Protection +1(Daiya)
Cloak of Resistance +1(Shard)
Amulet of Natural Armor +1(Xaxhan)
potion of fly
2 potions of cure moderate wounds
unidentifiable potion (illusion)
potion of gaseous form(Shard)

Pantry guards
4 thunderstones
3 tanglefoot bags
2 potions (faint conjuration)
2 masterwork battleaxes
2 masterwork kukris
2 masterwork spiked heavy steel shields
2 potions (unknown aura)
2 gold torcs
54g, 31s

Smithy
Scroll (unknown aura) presumably the Shout
Scroll (necromancy aura)
Warhammer (transmutation aura)
Banded mail (transmutation aura)
Wand (unknown aura)
338g

More guards
6 thunderstones
5 tanglefoot bags(1 Grimmgang)
3 potions (faint conjuration)
4 potions (unknown aura)
4 masterwork battleaxes
4 masterwork heavy spiked steel shields
4 masterwork kukris
4 gold torcs
crystal amulet (unknown aura)
bag of dust (moderate transmutation)
99g, 57s

Naga
Nothing except Thraxis? :smallconfused:

Dock fight
3 masterwork battleaxes
dwarven urgrosh (magic)
battleaxe (magic, large)
2 potions (unknown aura)
6 tanglefoot bags
3 thunderstones
Healing Belt
52g, 20s
1 Jukkeam(anyone know the marketprice on that?)

Perhaps we should get an Artificer's Monocle instead of blowing 100 GP on every Identify? Would have saved us a decent amount of money if we did it from the start.

Postmodernist
2013-06-01, 11:35 AM
Yeah, the monocle would be a good party investment.

Sal, any rolls to decipher the tattoos?

TekHed
2013-06-01, 01:13 PM
Shard could go for the potion of Fly. Had I rolled a nat 1 on that first save, I'd have gone into the drink and been out of the fight, and we'd have been hosed when the secon ballista destroyed our ship.

Been wanting a healing belt too.

I think I used the gaseous form potion while we were in the crates, yes?

Edit: XP! XP!

MoleMage
2013-06-01, 01:56 PM
I just realized that being illiterate and blindfolded all the time will make using scrolls difficult to do. Perhaps when I level up I'll drop the two skill points to learn to read. Who wants to teach me?

Postmodernist
2013-06-01, 04:47 PM
Daiya could probably convince Xaxhan to instruct her. Plus, it would provide him with an opportunity to show off his knowledge.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-02, 01:33 PM
Xaxhan seems the most prudent choice.

Now one thing I don't get: why did the guards use battle axes when they get dwarven war axes as martial option? :smallconfused: It really makes no sense under any circumstances I can think of.

Which leads me to the next question. I plan to take Swordsage at level 9 so I can enter Master of Nine at 10. That loses me yet another BAB, which hurts mightily, but the Weapon Focus you get can make up for it. But dwarven waraxe is only a favoured weapon for Iron Heart. Can we use a liberal reading of Martial Aptitude to get me WF on my axe? Losing +1 attack hurts me a lot more than losing 1 average damage, I got that area well enough covered. So if that is no option I would have to switch to another weapon at some point, and a dwarven axe just has more style than a battle axe or long sword.

Postmodernist
2013-06-02, 02:20 PM
Now one thing I don't get: why did the guards use battle axes when they get dwarven war axes as martial option? :smallconfused: It really makes no sense under any circumstances I can think of.

Budget cuts?

TheFallenOne
2013-06-02, 02:24 PM
That would be a curious budget, willing to pay 300 GP for +1 MW attack, but not 20 GP for more damage :smalltongue:

TekHed
2013-06-02, 03:15 PM
Hey man, never underestimate the idocy of bueracracies...cutting corners on budgets is what politicians do! :smalltongue:

Sallera
2013-06-02, 10:05 PM
I don't know why they use battleaxes either. By the time I noticed, it was a bit late to change it.

Fallen, you can switch the focus with Weapon Aptitude, but it will apply only to a single weapon when you do so, rather than a whole discipline.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-02, 11:08 PM
That's easily good enough, thanks :smallsmile: None of my secondary weapons are covered by the disciplines anyway.

Of course, it will probably take another year or so before it becomes relevant at all :smallbiggrin:

TheFallenOne
2013-06-03, 09:56 AM
I was debating whether to say gun for a moment, but couldn't think of a better way to say it and thought I could get away with it :smallbiggrin:

From a metagaming perspective fighting them is surely better for loot and XP. IC-wise probably as well as that is our one chance to know they are coming and fight on our terms. They surely won't give up if we give them the laugh here, and I'd rather not risk a deadly ambush every time from now we split up to shop, get a shave etc.

Anyway, Daiya can cast Sending without expending a stone, so we can freely keep in contact with Matthias and see if he knows/learns more. Their method of fighting(I'm sure they're not dumb enough to try poisoning the food of a dwarf and one Shard, but you never know), whether they have a caster, their race or any special features so we can pick them up out of a crowd etc.

TekHed
2013-06-03, 03:43 PM
Expecting another shave so soon are you? :smallbiggrin:

P.S. Sal...since it's about a week back to port verge, can I have Shard sequester and meditate to research vigor?

TheFallenOne
2013-06-05, 05:18 PM
So, are we done with that conversation? Next step would be contacting Matthias about further details on the would-be assassins.

Sallera
2013-06-05, 06:23 PM
Yeah, go ahead and do anything you have planned for the trip back.

Tek, it was five days there, it'll be five days back.

TekHed
2013-06-05, 07:10 PM
Is that enough time or do I need a full 7 days?

Sallera
2013-06-06, 02:49 AM
Same question as last time, same answer. A week is seven days.

TekHed
2013-06-06, 03:04 AM
I'm never going to be able to research new powers am I? :smallfrown:

TheFallenOne
2013-06-06, 09:13 AM
Well, a week of uninterrupted downtime is a lot to ask for. Won't fly in say Red Hand of Doom either.
I will run into the same problem. It will take a crafter 6 days to add Martial Discipline Weapon to my axe. I expect I will have to do multiple encounters with a backup weapon.

Grimmgang has nothing much to do, and the details of the Sendin(s) are up to Daiya. Oh, don't forget to heal Drasil with your cleric spells one of those days as she has no natural healing.

TekHed
2013-06-06, 09:45 PM
:smalleek: A sad panda am I.

Just one teensy little itty-bitty level 1 power...

TheFallenOne
2013-06-06, 09:47 PM
We have Lesser Vigor on a wand anyway, why is that one so important? As we've seen you can run dry on PP even without using them for healing.

TekHed
2013-06-06, 09:50 PM
why is that one so important?

Cuz I'm Psychic Theurge from here on out and the get **** for hit dice. D4 for melee gish does NOT cut it.

As we've seen you can run dry on PP even without using them for healing.

I spent probably half of them on doing extra damage, and next level I get a nice jump in PP.

As an aside, I've been preparing all of these utility spells, like Spider Hand, Ebon Eyes, and Resurgence that are never getting used. Think I'm going to change that...

Postmodernist
2013-06-06, 10:32 PM
Utility is always nice, though. Don't ditch all of them, as they're awesome when used creatively. That said, D&D places a massive emphasis on combat, so you're rarely at a loss for preppping them.

I hadn't thought about researching spells. I'm wondering when I'm going to have an opportunity to use this scroll of Sirine's Grace. It's an awesome spell, but there's spell selection as a bard is limited. Use it or lose it, right?

Mole, we should also probably work out an IC scene between Xaxhan and Daiya on literacy instruction. Oddly enough, it's something I do in real life all the time. Hopefully, I'm more patient with my students than our Seren bard probably would be.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-07, 01:28 PM
They likely intend direct confrontation; their appearance is unknown to me. As to their employer, they are related in some way to the Emerald Claw.

Well, good enough I guess. They'll likely jump us in the night or a dark alley if given the chance. Down the antidotes from the loot before going out just in case they do use poison, they're good for an hour. Have Daiya prepare the right spells(Enervation sounds good as always, as does Solid Fog. Less so Fireball as it draws too much attention) and we should be good. We should have enough senses between us to prevent a surprise assault, I don't think the Claw is fully aware yet how hypercompetent we are in that area.

Also, worst comes to worst at least I have Uncanny Dodge to prevent a Death Attack if they actually have the Assassin class :smalltongue:

MoleMage
2013-06-07, 06:49 PM
I don't think the Claw is fully aware yet how hypercompetent we are in that area.

Let's try and keep it that way.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-09, 01:51 PM
"Now then, I believe there were some pearls we purchased to bring with us? How many do we have?"

That's something Daiya herself should know better than anyone else as she does our Identifiys.

MoleMage
2013-06-09, 02:15 PM
That's something Daiya herself should know better than anyone else as she does our Identifiys.

You'd think, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't keeping them on her person/didn't buy them.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-09, 02:27 PM
The shopping was offscreen, and it's rather logical she would be the one carrying the pearls.

MoleMage
2013-06-09, 09:41 PM
I guess you're right. I'll edit the post. But how many do we actually have? I forgot OOC...

TheFallenOne
2013-06-09, 09:52 PM
We bought six, three are left.

MoleMage
2013-06-10, 02:38 PM
3 masterwork battleaxes
dwarven urgrosh (magic)
battleaxe (magic, large)
2 potions (unknown aura)
6 tanglefoot bags
3 thunderstones
Healing Belt (you've got one, you saw him use it, you know what it is )
52g, 20s
1 Jukkeam

6 thunderstones
5 tanglefoot bags
3 potions (faint conjuration)
4 potions (unknown aura)
4 masterwork battleaxes
4 masterwork heavy spiked steel shields
4 masterwork kukris
4 gold torcs
crystal amulet (unknown aura)
bag of dust (moderate transmutation)
99g, 57s

Scroll (unknown aura)
Scroll (necromancy aura)
Warhammer (transmutation aura)
Banded mail (transmutation aura)
Wand (unknown aura)
338g

4 thunderstones
3 tanglefoot bags
2 potions (faint conjuration)
2 masterwork battleaxes
2 masterwork kukris
2 masterwork spiked heavy steel shields
2 potions (unknown aura)
2 gold torcs
54g, 31s

All the collective loot since we entered Dreadhold, as of yet mostly unassigned to the party. I haven't even been updating my money total since we came in.

We should be able to identify healing potions with little risk provided we have drank them before (based on memory, as per here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/potionsAndOils.htm#identifyingPotions)). As such, I propose that Grimmgang, with his dwarven bonus against poison (just in case), sample all the conjuration potions and figure out which are healing. Potions of non-conjuration auras we should hold onto for now since it's far less likely that they're something we know offhand, and also because they're far more likely to be something...err...dangerous (like Fire Trapped bottles, which would show as Abjuration).

Probably should make some Knowledge checks on the torcs to know whether they're going to be risky to sell off (if they're identifying symbols, we'll want to melt them down first if possible).

I agree the best items are the amulet and wand to identify, though I would support one of the weapons before the bag of dust myself.

Sallera
2013-06-10, 02:50 PM
Pretty sure I've mentioned my rules for potions before; same caster and same spell always looks and tastes the same, but ones made by a different caster will have variations.

Identifies will have to wait until I'm at home, but assuming Xaxhan found time to cast a few Read Magics, the scrolls are Shout, False Life, and Arcane Lock.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-10, 02:52 PM
We can also get potions with Spellcraft, but I think the most convenient thing to do would be invest 1500 GP in an Artificer's Monocle and never again have to worry about Identifying stuff.

Postmodernist
2013-06-10, 08:25 PM
Identifies will have to wait until I'm at home, but assuming Xaxhan found time to cast a few Read Magics, the scrolls are Shout, False Life, and Arcane Lock.

Is Xaxhan the only one who can use these? Whether through UMD or general spellcasting?

MoleMage
2013-06-11, 01:44 AM
Is Xaxhan the only one who can use these? Whether through UMD or general spellcasting?

Shout is on the Blinded Saint list, provided it is divine.

Sallera
2013-06-11, 02:18 AM
It's Artificer, so either. Same with the False Life.

Edit: Wand of Magic Missile, CL5, 41 charges. Amulet of Toxin Delay (immediate Delay Poison for 2 rounds, 1/day).

TekHed
2013-06-11, 02:21 AM
As noted, Shard is a little shy on the hit points, so I could go for some False Life...

MoleMage
2013-06-11, 02:34 AM
It's Artificer, so either. Same with the False Life.

Edit: Wand of Magic Missile, CL5, 41 charges. Amulet of Toxin Delay (immediate Delay Poison for 2 rounds, 1/day).

Now I just need to learn to read!

TheFallenOne
2013-06-11, 03:26 AM
Hrm, while the amulet is interesting, everyone not immune to poison already has the slot filled, pity. The wand can be a useful backup though.

Anything else to do before we arrive at port?

TekHed
2013-06-15, 03:20 AM
So, what's the plan gang? Do we want to be on our toes until we meet with these assassin's? Do we want to regroup at the Seawind first? We should probably wait to sell our loot until we can (hopefully) take out the assassins coming to us and take their loot too. :smallbiggrin:

Postmodernist
2013-06-15, 03:27 PM
So there's still lots to unload. Do we think we'll get better prices in Port Verge or Regalport? Will it matter?

Xaxhan could make use of the wand and any of the scrolls, but I have no particular preferences regarding loot distribution.

Xaxhan can disguise himself pretty easily, through assorted magics. He's not the best scout, but he might be able to do some recon. Daiya and Grimmy have the best senses, though, so perhaps they should tag along or simply conduct it themselves. Regardless, we should stick together and not run off separately to sell off the loot. Invisibility is also a solid short term option, though we'd need to get the jump on our opponents since it's a short term spell.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-16, 02:48 PM
I don't think we can get the jump on them, unless they play a long game and we manage to pick them out of a crowd and follow to their hide-out, like we did in Adderport.

I think the best is goading them into thinking they get the drop on us, when in truth we are fully prepared. Do we have any long-term buffs, 10 minutes/level or more? It should have no visual displays and not be casted/recasted after we leave the ship as that could tick them off we are onto them. I'm not fond of Invisibility either. If they see through it with a good Spot or Listen they will know it's a trap.

TekHed
2013-06-16, 03:31 PM
Well... Resist Energy is 10 min/level...how much you want to bet they try and hit Shard with a sonic attack?

TekHed
2013-06-16, 03:50 PM
Also, I just remembered Invisibility won't hide Shard's glow...

We should find a way to clear th fog if we can. Hopefully they don't use Spring Attack.

Something tells me this is going to be a tough fight...

MoleMage
2013-06-17, 11:39 AM
I like the fog though.

Yeah, the Claw is out to get us and they're familiar with Shard's crystalline structure. We could also load his Ring with something appropriate I suppose. Protection from Energy is a little more versatile though.

Sallera
2013-06-20, 11:30 AM
Alright, could you guys solidify your plan for finding or being found by the assassins by this evening? I'll try to get the encounter started then.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-20, 12:43 PM
How big are the docks and how long would it take us to reach the Swiftwind? That looks like a good thing pretending to do, unless we'd be there so quick they never get a chance to jump us.

Sallera
2013-06-20, 01:42 PM
The docks aren't that big, since all traffic is small boats, but heading for the Lyrandar ferry would probably give them enough time to jump you if they were watching. Just note any other preparations you want to make.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-20, 03:57 PM
That sounds good enough. If they fail to attack us we can just return to port a bit later, short visit to deposit loot and talk to the captain is inconspicuous enough.

By the way, I made a sizable expansion to the fluffy parts on Grimmgang's sheet. It previously was a rather short overview, but since we started here he went through enough development to deserve more.

TekHed
2013-06-20, 07:19 PM
Fluffy! Yes Grimmgang is such a fluffy cuddly dwarf. :smallbiggrin:

TekHed
2013-06-21, 03:09 AM
As previously noted, Shard cast Resist Energy (Sonic) on himself (40 minute duration) just after we left the ship. I'll also have Longstrider active since that lasts for hours.

Question for the more tactically minded players...should I hit us with Protection Devotion now, or save it for an immediate action should a nasty hit get through? And if the latter, could you all please let me know your current ACs so I can pay close attention?

TheFallenOne
2013-06-21, 03:17 AM
Internet apparently still bumpy, gave out yesterday while trying to post here. But my only notable preparations are chugging an antidote anyway.

Fluffy! Yes Grimmgang is such a fluffy cuddly dwarf. :smallbiggrin:

I do advise against voicing that IC :smalltongue:

As previously noted, Shard cast Resist Energy (Sonic) on himself (40 minute duration) just after we left the ship. I'll also have Longstrider active since that lasts for hours.

Question for the more tactically minded players...should I hit us with Protection Devotion now, or save it for an immediate action should a nasty hit get through? And if the latter, could you all please let me know your current ACs so I can pay close attention?

You might as well do it now, it will last through the fight and you might have more need of a swift action in a turn to come.

How come those poor poor baddies constantly lose initiative? It sure is convenient so we get bardic buffs right off the bat, so no complaining for sure :smallwink:

TekHed
2013-06-21, 03:25 AM
OK, Sounds good.

+3 Sacred Bonus to AC for everyone! (edit: well, so long as you are within 30' of Shard, which I guess won't matter now since Shard just moved 40 feet away, but that's just to set up for a charge next round and flanking with Grimmy.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-21, 03:44 AM
Hm, now I'm closer can I get a description of F's armor and weaponry? Might use an AP on that Mountain Hammer if Xaxhan uses DFI.

edit: also forgot to include Flanking when I CPed the rolls, so it's currently a 17.

TekHed
2013-06-21, 03:53 AM
So Drasil should be another +2 as well yeah?

And...any way you could have Grimm at O10, because you just blocked Shard's charge line... :smallconfused:

TheFallenOne
2013-06-21, 04:05 AM
Drasil's is correct actually, as when I initially typed it her attack was a charge and I didn't remove the +2.

You can still easily charge; you'd end up in O11 if you charge F next turn. If one of the others, provided they stay in place, you can just delay a bit past Grimmgang. As you well know he never stays in place(voluntarily that is *curse you Wall of Sand*) so where he goes this turn will not be an obstacle to you next turn.

TekHed
2013-06-21, 04:15 AM
Well Shard acts before Grimm moves again (unless I delay). Sounds good though. For some reason I thought I had to move in a perfect straight line to charge. Of course, we'll have to see what these bad boys brought with them. 2 on 5 I'm betting Sal has set us up with a surprisingly rough bout. Everyone stay on your toes and hold onto your butts!

TheFallenOne
2013-06-21, 04:22 AM
As a matter of fact you do need to move in a straight line. But not towards the enemy, towards the closest square from which you can attack(O11 in Fs case). That can actually make quite a difference if you have more than 5 foot of reach.

I offer 1 to 1 odds one of them is a Martial Adept.
1 to 3 one of them has Soulmelds.
As a wildcard, 1 to 10 one of them is Dragonblooded and throws DFI right back at us.

Sallera
2013-06-21, 11:17 AM
F has a chain shirt and is holding a longsword down by her side, half-hidden under the cloak. E is in full plate and holding a poorly-concealed greataxe. A has a chain dangling on the ground with a skull-handled dagger on the held end, and is unarmoured.

Postmodernist
2013-06-21, 06:23 PM
Hey guys. Sorry my posting rate has sucked lately. I'm teaching summer school from 7:30 am until 4, then I come home, change, and take a krav maga class. I'm often not home until 8, and I'm usually completely exhausted and forget about things like posting. Plus, I'm starting a new internship, but that will likely just replace the krav class. I'm trying to be better about posting. Again, apologies.

Xaxhan will probably start with DFI as usual. I was hoping to get a shipboard post in with Daiya about learning to read, but nothing came of it. I'll post IC after dinner.

EDIT: I just realized, in true annoying bardic fashion, that Xaxhan has been missing lyrics to his songs all game. This should be rectified, and I welcome all suggestions.

TekHed
2013-06-21, 06:37 PM
DFI is good...so would a glitterdust while they are bunched...though I'm guessing that perhaps as our opponents get higher in level that they will be making the save more frequently, whereas DFI is a sure-thing...

TheFallenOne
2013-06-21, 08:07 PM
Action Point on Grimmgang's attack [roll0]

DFI is good...so would a glitterdust while they are bunched...though I'm guessing that perhaps as our opponents get higher in level that they will be making the save more frequently, whereas DFI is a sure-thing...

They were indeed well-placed for a Glitterdust, but the 'sure thing' part is always a good argument for DFI.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Xaxhan needs a Swift and Immediate action to get the maximum bonus, so if he does DFI and IC in consecutive turns he loses one point on one of them. Thus the ideal sequence when going all-out is DFI=>Buff/Debuff=>IC to yield maximum result.

TekHed
2013-06-21, 08:39 PM
F has a chain shirt and is holding a longsword down by her side, half-hidden under the cloak. E is in full plate and holding a poorly-concealed greataxe. A has a chain dangling on the ground with a skull-handled dagger on the held end, and is unarmoured.

Hmmm...makes me wonder if longsword babe is a Warblade, greataxe dude is a Crusader, and goth-trip-monkey is a Swordsage...

Postmodernist
2013-06-22, 12:51 PM
Action Point on Grimmgang's attack [roll0]

They were indeed well-placed for a Glitterdust, but the 'sure thing' part is always a good argument for DFI.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Xaxhan needs a Swift and Immediate action to get the maximum bonus, so if he does DFI and IC in consecutive turns he loses one point on one of them. Thus the ideal sequence when going all-out is DFI=>Buff/Debuff=>IC to yield maximum result.

This is entirely true. I didn't establish it in my IC post, but it was a standard buff sequence for Xaxhan: Inspirational Boost swift, DFI standard, and Badge of Valor immediate.

MoleMage
2013-06-22, 04:52 PM
Improved initiative and the ability to sense...well...everything pay off again!

TekHed
2013-06-22, 04:59 PM
In any rpg having heightened senses is almost always a powerful advantage (and often a DMs nightmare!).

MoleMage
2013-06-22, 05:01 PM
In any rpg having heightened senses is almost always a powerful advantage (and often a DMs nightmare!).

I'd feel bad about my class but I think Sal is up to the challenge. Next thing we'll get hit by someone protected from even my senses or out of range of them or something.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-22, 05:18 PM
If there's something problematic with out party it's not that we have supersenses. It's that we wreck everything thrown at us really really fast :smalltongue: We got some nice damage output.

Molemage, I think you should note what spell is currently stored in your sword.

edit: should F get stunned by Daiya's spell I rescind my use of an Action Point on Grimmgang's attack.

Sallera
2013-06-22, 11:34 PM
Protected from Daiya's senses pretty much means either incorporeals or Matthias. :smalltongue:

TheFallenOne
2013-06-22, 11:38 PM
Who I assume has the Darkstalker feat or is it something else?

Sallera
2013-06-22, 11:42 PM
That's certainly part of it.

Edit: See, it's not your competencies that your enemies have trouble with so much as their own rolls.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-23, 12:22 AM
a... *twitch* damn that was scary. I assume those 8d8 are Divine Surge, crazy amount of bonus damage at that level(in fact it out-Mountain Hammers Elder Mountain Hammer up to DR 15, which is pretty much everything. And is a level lower).

But even that aside, his attack and damage modifiers are real scary... And they came prepared with cold resistance.

Somewhat conflicted here. Take out E with singleminded focus or remove the wounded F first?

TekHed
2013-06-23, 01:09 AM
I KNEW he was a Crusader!!!

TheFallenOne
2013-06-23, 01:29 AM
Well guessed. So we better bring him down decisively instead of feeding his Furious Counterstrike over and over... I saw how that worked when my guys fought a Lashemoi Crusader and kept feeding him bonuses. It wasn't pretty.

But here's a more important piece of information.

three new identical auras spring up just as you approach

They knew about the Cold, and get their protection not from items, but a potion each, CL 3 presumably

==> Diiiiiiispel

If that's too meta for your taste Sallera cry out and whack me with the DMG :smallwink:

Sallera
2013-06-23, 01:32 AM
Eh, that's all discernable in-character (albeit only by Daiya), so maybe just the Rules Compendium.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-23, 01:36 AM
That's one book I don't own so I have to report I can't verify how much it is supposed to hurt me.

Sallera
2013-06-23, 01:43 AM
Heh. It's only half the size of the DMG.

TekHed
2013-06-23, 02:25 AM
I was going to say that Shard could draw fire (with Iron Crystal Guard's Glare) on E wile Grimm went after wounded F, but...you're probably correct. CONCENTRATE FIRE!!!

Anyhow...Dispel is probably not a bad idea, so long as it doesn hit us in the AoE. I'm going to pop Law Devotion next round but some IC wouldn't hurt at some point. Glitterdust might really help, but is the Crusader high enough you think to have Zealous Surge?

Looks like they are all melee types; my paranoia about sonic spells might have been miplaced (if not justified).

TheFallenOne
2013-06-23, 02:31 AM
eh, it's easy enough to hit all three without hitting party members except Grimmgang and Drasil. Neither have dispelable effects on them.

I think we can delegate Drasil to handle F while we pile up on E. If you let me go first I can go to O8, providing you a flank if you attack from O10. Every +2 counts.

TekHed
2013-06-23, 02:36 AM
Yeah I lost my opportunity to charge when E moved. I was going to move to P8 for flanking because I thought you were going to go for F, but if Grimm can give Shard some kind of battle signal to delay I'm happy to move up to O10 and sandwich our crunchy Crusader friend.

I'm still very concerned about Shard's low hit points given his role, and it will only get worse as I progress in Psychic Theurge. I REALLY hope if we survive this fight and level (I think we're about due) that we can take at least a week of downtime, or voyage to our next step so I can research vigor. Will really make a difference.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-23, 02:41 AM
If HP worry you just get a +2 con item. I previously wanted to retrain Improved Toughness to Improved Skirmish, but now I really think I need those HP, like against Ethras's fire crit. Not to mention E's swing here, with average damage that almost cuts me in half.

TekHed
2013-06-23, 02:50 AM
Sorry, but an extra 1 HP/level is NOT going to make up for a melee character getting 1d4/level. I have Bear's Endurance for that (and other things I need to spend gold on besides). Vigor would do it though...

Given how close we are to leveling (just over 3500 for Shard and we've had a LOT of fights), I suggest we make liberal use of and blow as many AP as needed in this fight.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-23, 03:16 AM
broken roll [roll0]

TekHed
2013-06-23, 04:04 AM
Action Point on that Mountain Hammer: [roll0]

MoleMage
2013-06-23, 10:59 AM
Action Point on Concentration:
[roll0]

Woo! I hope his touch armor class is less than 17. But then he's a crusader in heavy armor so it probably is.

Postmodernist
2013-06-23, 11:45 AM
Xaxhan is having a tough time with Dispel checks. If it's Resist Energy, I should have two of them, if it's Protection from Energy, I've failed.

I'm beginning to think I should look into that feat that lets you take ten on caster level checks. Alternately, does anyone know of any magical items that contribute to dispel checks/caster level checks? Perhaps Xaxhan could have a complete change of character, pursue cleric levels and go into Church Inquisitor. :smalltongue:

TheFallenOne
2013-06-23, 02:55 PM
Dispellling Cord from MIC might be worth a look. Rather cheap too.

Postmodernist
2013-06-23, 03:14 PM
Thanks, I knew there was something along those lines. Anything else I should look into?

EDIT: Hey Sal, what's the likelihood we could get our hands on a Planar Touchstone or twenty? :smallwink:

TekHed
2013-06-23, 03:52 PM
Posty you might consider an AP for the dispel check vs. the Crusader...

Postmodernist
2013-06-23, 03:55 PM
Sure, why not?

AP: [roll0]

EDIT: Sal, what's the status on Xaxhan's Strength damage? I think it was from some ninja poison when we raided the ship initially. Should it be gone by now, or will it require a healer? To the rest of the team: should I bother dropping a Slow here, or is that overkill? I'm leery of dumping too many 3rd level spells on a fight that has barely begun, but better safe than sorry...

TekHed
2013-06-23, 04:10 PM
I would advise IC or glitterdust over Slow. We are in relatively close quarters, and Slow is best to prevent full attacks...however these are likely martial adepts who will be using more standard attack actions anyways. Slow wouldn't be as useful.

Postmodernist
2013-06-23, 04:17 PM
Fair enough, though slow also reduces speed, AC, and (most importantly) limits them to 1 action per round. We're pretty mobile as a party, so we'd easily outgun them.

Sallera
2013-06-23, 06:09 PM
That was Strength drain, so it won't heal without a Restoration.

TekHed
2013-06-23, 06:12 PM
..which we have a wand of...

Sallera
2013-06-23, 06:15 PM
No, you have a wand of Lesser Restoration.

TekHed
2013-06-23, 06:24 PM
:smalleek:

Postmodernist
2013-06-23, 06:27 PM
That's not too bad. From the SRD, that's 40X caster level gp. If we can track down a 7th level cleric, that's 280 gp.

TekHed
2013-06-23, 07:10 PM
Looking forward to Sal's update!

Sallera
2013-06-23, 07:34 PM
And your crusader friend continues to prove how much he is hated by the RNG, even as he dies.

Crit confirm on Daiya: [roll0]
Extra damage: [roll1]

Sallera
2013-06-23, 07:36 PM
Also, forgot the concealment rolls for Grimmgang.
First attack: [roll0]
Second attack: [roll1]

Postmodernist
2013-06-23, 07:40 PM
Did Shard pop the AC devotion? If so, that misses Xaxhan's touch AC.

TekHed
2013-06-23, 07:46 PM
Third attack hit though...ouch! After DR Grimmy just took 49 damage! :smallfrown:

Seeing as how the Crusader decided to ignore Iron Guard's Glare and F has a hard on for repaying the favor we just dished out on her buddy (and damn but that was some nice synergy and timing between the drain, dispel, and the DFI from both sides all at once...), I'm torn between whether I should attack F or cast Bear's Endurance on Grimmgang.

If Grimm wants to tumble away and use his healing belt or a potion, Shard can run interference (If Grimm goes northwest east, Shard can take his place at O8 to prevent pursuit and flank with Drasil) and keep the damage coming...

Use AP on the saves if you need to...

Postmodernist
2013-06-23, 07:51 PM
Keep up the pressure, in my opinion.

TekHed
2013-06-23, 07:52 PM
Ninja'd by Posty. Yes Protection Devotion is on! Whiff ftw!

Ok, will wait for TFO to post. Edit: Prob go around to O7, so she really would have to go around Shard in the most inefficient way if Grimm goes northeast. I meant northeast earlier...

What are you going to do Posty? IC this round to ensure hits, or spells and such?

TheFallenOne
2013-06-23, 07:59 PM
Is there an extra bounty on my head or why are they so dead-set on cutting me specifically to tiny little pieces :smalleek: Definitely not retrain that Improved Toughness...

And definitely gonna use my healing belt charges. I'll say out of full attack range, see if you can take care of F. The tripper is more a nuissance, but nobody who could actually come close to killing us with the actual damage dealers out of the picture.

Postmodernist
2013-06-23, 08:06 PM
There's not much left to do. IC would probably be best, actually. Any further debuffing would probably be overkill.

TekHed
2013-06-23, 08:12 PM
Ok! You guys post up and then I'll make Shard's attack.

Do we know if F lost her protection from Cold?

TekHed
2013-06-23, 08:53 PM
TFO, I saw your note about O8, will do.

Did your rolls include the +4 to hit and damage from Xaxhan's impending IC? I noticed you did not include the DFI for Drasil...

I think I'll be initiating Crusader's Strike to heal Grimm a bit more... Edit: R8 is 5 feet too far away...sure you don't want to be at Q8?

If not I suppose I'll either Crusader Strike myself to heal after Blade of Blood, or Vanguard Strike to pile on even more bonuses to strike for everyone next round, should Shard fail to drop F.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-23, 09:02 PM
Posty didn't post that action yet, so I didn't include it. But yeah, forgot DFI [roll0]

Q8 to get some more healing sounds good.

TekHed
2013-06-23, 09:10 PM
Was F's protection dispelled or no?

TekHed
2013-06-23, 10:09 PM
If F tries to pull any shenanigans like Wall of Blades or some such, where it looks like I will miss I'll use an AP: [roll0]

MoleMage
2013-06-23, 10:11 PM
[roll0] Fort Save...

Woo! Great success. Then I had a 2 for attack roll and a miss due to concealment.

TekHed
2013-06-23, 10:14 PM
Nice 20 you have there!

TekHed
2013-06-23, 10:24 PM
Action Point Mole!

Edit: You miss on a 2?

If you miss though it doesn't discharge the spell though right? Probably for the best as that was the greatest ISW you could have rolled...

Postmodernist
2013-06-24, 10:16 PM
Better lucky than good, eh? I'm assuming she tumbled away with a huge modifier there, Sal, so no AOOs. What's the plan? Obviously, we can't let her get away.

Glitterdust? Ranged attacks? Tanglefoot bags? I really need to get freaking Grease.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-24, 10:20 PM
A 3... I feel almost sorry for the assassins.
Almost.

By the way Tek, using Blade of Blood to fuel your own Furious Counterstrike is quite clever.

Postmodernist
2013-06-24, 10:48 PM
I'm thinking just straight up sound burst. Damage with a potential suck added. Thoughts?

TekHed
2013-06-24, 10:53 PM
A 3... I feel almost sorry for the assassins.
Almost.

By the way Tek, using Blade of Blood to fuel your own Furious Counterstrike is quite clever.

Thanks! I was quite pleased to find the spell while researching good gish options for Shard. I'm only ever going to have my one level of Crusader so it's never going to be more than a +1 counterstrike, but I figure every bit helps with the sacrifices I had to make for Psychic Theurge.

Incidentally, I have all of these awesome Counters...Shield Block, and can expend focus to make an AoO if an adjacent ally is attacked, or take the damage for an adjacent ally...but with Grimm being our only other real melee guy who never stays in one spot, it's rather difficult for Shard to protect him. :smallsigh:

Man...can't wait for Ruby Knight Vindicator and finally picking up Thicket of Blades. IGG has really lost it's usefulness by now...but that won't be until level 14, most likely beyond the scope of the module.

As for the current scene, Shard cut her off. Hopefully he doesn't get tripped in the drink, but if he does I can always D-Hop back up. Do we have a way to stop her if she tries to swim for it?

Postmodernist
2013-06-24, 10:59 PM
You think she'll survive this round?

TekHed
2013-06-24, 11:32 PM
Probably not if Shard hits her, but I expect her to try and trip Shard or toss him in the water if she has Mighty Throw or one of it's variants. Sal has proven sneaky before and honestly I'm surprised by how quickly and easily we have dispatched these guys so far. Think there might be a second wave to this fight?

TheFallenOne
2013-06-24, 11:48 PM
I don't think so, these guys would be a very tough challenge without luck on our side. That opening of the crusader is close to rocket tag, killing Daiya, Xaxhan or Drasil instantly and knocking Shard out even through DR and delayed damage pool. These guys were nasty, and I'm very lucky to be alive with what they threw at me.

TekHed
2013-06-24, 11:55 PM
I wonder how Grimmy would have felt if we had to resurrect him into the body of a comely elf maiden. Would he have gotten himself a beard-wig? :smallbiggrin:

TheFallenOne
2013-06-25, 12:00 AM
Well, I think this time we would have gone with Raise Dead. Using Reincarnate on Daiya was for solely practical reasons. The CL check on a scroll was too chancy even with an AP, and we can't exactly get an appropriately leveled cleric into the middle of the jungle. With our boat right around the corner it would be way easier to find a caster for the job.

Postmodernist
2013-06-25, 12:04 AM
I once played a dwarven paladin in Living Greyhawk who died playing above-level in a poorly written (read: hyper-deadly) module that premiered at a con I attended. The party's kind druid reincarnated him as a Baklunish human, ironically making him a much stronger character. From then on, he was Kurt Rockholme, the tallest dwarf in the Principality of Ulek.

TekHed
2013-06-25, 12:06 AM
Worked out for the best even...same race and sex, but now she has the option of sight or no sight. Makes for great story fodder too...I can see, it's a miracle!

TheFallenOne
2013-06-25, 01:53 AM
Forgot Tumble in case of Combat Reflexes [roll0]

TekHed
2013-06-25, 04:28 AM
It may be moot but the coming round my maneuvers refresh:

[roll0] Mountain Hammer
[roll1] Vanguard Strike
[roll2] Stone Bones
[roll3] Shield Block
Crusader Strike

TekHed
2013-06-25, 11:29 PM
Wherefore hast thou not posted Your Moleness?

Scorching Ray?

Postmodernist
2013-06-26, 12:08 AM
She can just move and swing, can't she? The chain swinger is surrounded, she'll fall fast.

TekHed
2013-06-26, 12:11 AM
I saw Mole was on earlier...but no post! Maybe is out today...

MoleMage
2013-06-26, 01:01 AM
Was a phone check to see if new comic...posting presently.

TekHed
2013-06-26, 01:17 AM
Page 48!

Yeah...I think she's going down... Didn't think to bring protection from heat didja? DIDJA?!? :smallcool:

Moar lootz for everyone!!!

Sallera
2013-06-26, 11:07 PM
And that closes out Chapter 2, at least as far as combat goes, so you finally get some xp. Halfway done the module, and in only two and a half years!

But first, loot:
chain-and-dagger (moderate evocation)
bracers (moderate conjuration)
ring (unknown aura)
full plate (unknown aura)
greataxe (faint transmutation)
gauntlets (unknown aura)
masterwork club
masterwork dagger
longsword (unknown aura)
amulet (unknown aura)
masterwork chain shirt

XP:

...aaand a bonus 500 for getting through all of Dreadhold without killing any dwarves. :3

Postmodernist
2013-06-27, 12:37 AM
Wohoo! Let's go shopping! Cue the music, and run the montage! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiH_BNIh0hY)

We should also make other plans. Who we intend to talk to, teaching Daiya to read, training, etc. Are there any major loose ends we need to tie up? I'm assuming the next step is to follow the map we have now and retrieve the Dragon's Eye, right?

TheFallenOne
2013-06-27, 12:46 AM
Hah! See, it was totally worth it :smallbiggrin: juicy rewards... I'm actually quite close to level 9 now.

Hm, what to do with the bodies? We want to 'interrogate' them later, but the ferry belongs to House Lyrandar, not our ship specifically. They might take some offense to transporting freshly killed bodies...

Level up information
Vanguard 2
+8 HP
1 Ref, Fort
+1 BAB
+1 Strength
Skirmish +1d6
1 Survival, 5 Jump, 1 Hide
New maneuver: Soaring Raptor Strike
Retrain Wolf Fang Strike to Steel Wind. Switching back and forth and this one... Should have realized sooner I require an Iron Heart maneuver for Absolute Steel. As it is I won't be able to pick up Improved Skirmish before 11 because I will need all my retrain options to get the feats for Master of Nine :smallsigh:

TekHed
2013-06-27, 01:52 AM
Nicely done all! Won't have time to work on my sheet until later tomorrow. Can't wait until we cash in all of that loot!

As for the bodies, we can just stuff 'em in our sack right?

And yeah, this is one of the longest games I've ever been in! With all of our side missions we seem to be advancing a bit faster than usual...I think as printed the module goes from level 5-10, but we're halfway through and and almost level 9! This is good news! Good on sal for being up to the challenge. So far the encounters have all been really balanced...challenging, real stakes, but we've survives by playing smart (and of course lady luck and lady RNG have been mostly with us so far).

What are the chances the next phase will allow for some research time? :smallbiggrin:

Edit: P.S. won't be able to post IC until tomorrow evening either, but let me know how many healing charges you need Fallen...

No one else took any damage right? Save Shard and that was self inflicted... :smalltongue:

TheFallenOne
2013-06-27, 02:09 AM
Maybe the trip to Trebez Sinara is long enough, but since we're on a faster ship again I doubt it.

The bag only holds 250, enough for one body. The HHHs hold an item up to 80. Enough for Thraxis, but not a human. And we already have a lot of loot besides.

And it looks like we will actually make it through that huge module. Even getting to the halfway point is quite impressive in and on itself. I think we might make the second half faster than the first, our pace did improve.

TekHed
2013-06-27, 03:08 AM
I do kinda miss Fury of Metal, but Posty has more than made up for abcense. Our battles would have been way harder without our buffing bard. I do like how Trunk's legacy lives on through Drasil...are you going to retrain Drasil as well for Mo9?

Seems like it makes efficient economic sense to purchase artificer's monocle at this point eh?

TheFallenOne
2013-06-27, 04:35 AM
Yeah, at some point she will be released into the wild when the healing is done and she fully copes with the loss. I mainly picked her up as a contingency should Fury return, then it would have been possible to come up with a reason to let Trunk be reborn through her. She's been decently useful too; not much by her own stats, but with constant DFI an extra attack means quite a bit.

And yeah, definitely a monocle.

MoleMage
2013-06-27, 02:15 PM
Level up:
Blinded Saint 8
+1 Wisdom
+5 HP
+1 BAB
+1 Will
Heartwatch (creatures with beating hearts no longer have concealment from me, while blind)

Skills: 2 points Literate. +2 Concentration, +1 Listen, +2 Sense Motive (total spent: 7 points)
+1 3rd level spell prepared/per day
+1 4th level spell prepared/per day

Only four more levels until I can get iterative attacks! Perhaps I should invest in two-weapon fighting and start casting Shocking Grasp for my off-hand attack...counts as a light weapon right?

Sallera
2013-06-27, 03:37 PM
It does, although you'd have to cast it in advance and hold the charge; the standard action for spellcasting precludes a full attack, which limits the tactic somewhat.

On a semi-related note, I've decided to rule that in future, DFI will only apply to actual weapon attacks (i.e. not splash weapons, healing belt charges, etc.). That one never felt quite right to me.

Postmodernist
2013-06-27, 04:44 PM
I do kinda miss Fury of Metal, but Posty has more than made up for abcense. Our battles would have been way harder without our buffing bard. I do like how Trunk's legacy lives on through Drasil...are you going to retrain Drasil as well for Mo9?

Awww, you're making me blush. I like that Drasil is around, as he keeps up a sense of continuity. In fact, some discussion of Drasil and Trunk should come up IC- Xaxhan might want some more back story on your previous adventures.

And yeah, definitely a monocle.

Yes. So much yes.

On a semi-related note, I've decided to rule that in future, DFI will only apply to actual weapon attacks (i.e. not splash weapons, healing belt charges, etc.). That one never felt quite right to me.

Seems super reasonable to me, and it's unlikely to come up too much, anyway.

TekHed
2013-06-28, 12:44 AM
Bardic Music will still apply to spells that create weapon attacks like Shard's summoned Cloud of Knives yes?

Level Stuff:

Psychic Theurge 2
+6 HP
+1 BAB
+1 Will Saves
+1 Wisdom
+2 Measly Skill Points
+8 Power Points
New Power: Hustle
Level 3 Spells!

...and dat's all!

Sallera
2013-06-28, 11:02 AM
Inspire Courage, yes, DFI, no.

TekHed
2013-06-28, 12:07 PM
Hmm...even though it creates actual weapons that need actual attack rolls?

That sucks, and makes the spell far less useful now...

TheFallenOne
2013-06-29, 12:54 AM
I'll go to the ship then. Daiya's supersenses can pick up anyone coming close enough to see the corpses and then Xaxhan makes them vanish. If we remove some stuff from the bag of holding I can already take one of them with me, just in case something goes amiss with the plan.

TekHed
2013-06-29, 01:15 AM
Do you want Shard to come with to bodyguard Grimm or stick with the others and the big heaping pile of our pilfered loot?

TheFallenOne
2013-06-29, 01:27 AM
hm, if we both go we can carry more of the loot. Yeah, come along.

TekHed
2013-06-29, 01:50 AM
Okay! Let's go!

Postmodernist
2013-06-29, 09:44 AM
Hmm...even though it creates actual weapons that need actual attack rolls?

That sucks, and makes the spell far less useful now...

Dude, the attack is a free action. Slap some metamagic on it, and that's just gravy. Fell Drain Cloud of Knives? Are you kidding me?

TekHed
2013-06-29, 10:04 AM
How do I get metamagic/fell drain?

Postmodernist
2013-06-29, 10:34 AM
Pretty sure it's from Libris Mortis.

Fell Drain

( Libris Mortis: The Book of the Dead, p. 27)

[Metamagic]

Living foes damaged by your spell also gain a negative level.

Benefit
You can alter a spell that deals damage to foes so that any living creature that is dealt damage also gains a negative level. If the subject has at least as many negative levels as Hit Dice, it dies. Assuming the subject survives, the negative level disappears (without requiring a Fortitude save) after a number of hours equal to your caster level (maximum 15). A fell draining spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell's actual level.

TekHed
2013-06-29, 11:01 AM
Is it a feat or a spell? I don't have any feat slots available, nor do I have any metamagic.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-29, 11:45 AM
It's a +2 metamagic feat. A quite good one too.

Postmodernist
2013-06-29, 11:46 AM
It's a metamagic feat. Check the spoiler.

I'm fighting the urge to have Xaxhan perform a morbid puppet show with Thraxis' tiny, dried-up corpse.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-29, 11:49 AM
*boom* HEADSHOT! ninja

Hm... Craft(Puppetmaking). Put that Inspire Competence to use!

Postmodernist
2013-06-29, 12:18 PM
It's like Elan and Banjo, but much darker.

TekHed
2013-06-29, 12:45 PM
Yeah, no feat slots to spare, sorry.

TheFallenOne
2013-06-30, 05:06 AM
Tek, while the conversation Shard started there is one I certainly want to follow up upon you made too much of a jump forward in the narrative. Things might not work out like we planned for some reason. Or maybe Sallera plans for a chat with Thaddeus or the Lyrandar people before we head back, and then things get wonky when we're already in the midst of a conversation that happens later in the timeline.

TekHed
2013-06-30, 06:21 AM
I weighed that possibility against pushing the narrative forward. It seemed like a ferry ride, dropping things off and coming back in the skiff was something Sal would gloss over in a sentence or two (he pretty much confirmed that we're done with combat for the time being), and getting into a real conversation with Thaddeus is more likely to occur once we're all safely on board with all of our stuff.

If Sal has other plans though I can easily edit my post to be a quiet side conversation on board the ferry. The errand part of it just seemed rather mundane to me.

Sal, if I went too far let me know and I can edit.

TheFallenOne
2013-07-03, 01:48 AM
Been a bit since we heard from our DM, everything alright on your end Sallera?

Sallera
2013-07-03, 02:42 AM
Mm, just one of my semi-regular lapses of interest in foruming. And you all seemed to be trying to get some RP time, so I gave it a bit.

TekHed
2013-07-03, 03:39 AM
With a proper IC post in now, after the check in with Thadeus, I will delete and repost my earlier post so Grimm and Shard can chat a bit.

Also, once we're all under way on the Swiftwind, we should see about checking in with Sir'kil, see if maybe he could meet us in Regalport to add our pay in to our totals when we sell our loot and go shopping...

TheFallenOne
2013-07-03, 11:52 AM
Mm, just one of my semi-regular lapses of interest in foruming. And you all seemed to be trying to get some RP time, so I gave it a bit.

I see. Well, I hope you still have plenty fun, would be a shame to lose this game and the Wyrmhoard quest is something I'd love to see completed as well :smallwink:

Guess it's on me the RPing didn't progress, I didn't want to go ahead to the return trip without DM confirmation.

Sallera
2013-07-03, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I don't plan on going anywhere. I just... have a lot of hobbies, and my interest tends to drift between them. Sometimes, it drifts away.

TekHed
2013-07-03, 07:05 PM
What are your other hobbies Sal? I'm curious, that is, if you don't mind sharing personal interests.

Postmodernist
2013-07-03, 11:46 PM
Hey, gang. I'm going out of town for a wedding, won't be back until the 9th. My posting rate will decline as consequence. Apologies in advance, feel free to NPC me temporarily if necessary.

TekHed
2013-07-03, 11:57 PM
Fallen, if Grimm tells Thaddeus we'll take the launch ourselves, I can repost my earlier conversational piece.

Postmodernist
2013-07-09, 03:31 PM
Back from the wedding. IC post will be up today after I unpack.

TekHed
2013-07-10, 12:41 AM
Thanks Fallen, for letting me get a bit of character development in. Hope it was enjoyable for all, and helps Shard be a bit more than the plucky comic relief.

So...Regalport?

TheFallenOne
2013-07-13, 05:48 AM
Well guys? This isn't the first time we stall when it comes to interrogating corpses.

TekHed
2013-07-17, 06:51 PM
So the plan is, hit the Wyverns up for cash now, come back to boat, interrogate corpses in morning (Shard can cast 3rd level spells now too so can help if need be), and then go from there?

Postmodernist
2013-07-17, 06:58 PM
That works for me. Should we wait for Sal to rock a scene wipe? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z72bJXrVko4)

TheFallenOne
2013-07-23, 01:05 PM
Well, what to do with the prisoners then? Seems the Wyverns are determined to let us take care of it. Pick them up, bardomance them a bit so their grudge is directed at the Wyverns instead of us and then let them go?

Postmodernist
2013-07-23, 01:09 PM
All of those are solid options. Can anyone link me to the post where we took the prisoners? I want to review a few things and I can't bloody find it. I may need to read some stuff from thereabouts onward, too.

EDIT: Crap, I need to level up Xaxhan, too. How much XP and gold did we receive?

TheFallenOne
2013-07-23, 01:14 PM
Page 49 of the first thread. For the record, Grimmgang was against healing the mage. Killing prisoners is a no-no, but on the other hand you have no obligation to magically heal someone who fought til they dropped. The kinks of a soldier's morality.

Postmodernist
2013-07-23, 02:26 PM
Could we ransom them? Alternately, I imagine we could hand them over to PRince Ryger in Regalport. We sort of owe him a favor, and this couldn't hurt.

TheFallenOne
2013-07-23, 02:31 PM
He probably would approve of the Cloudreavers taken down a peg. Less so about the Dreadhold thing I'd wager, so planting someone who knows about that right in front of him seems a bit risky.

Postmodernist
2013-07-23, 02:39 PM
Do Sorrowbringer and Ferdinot (the wizard or sorcerer or whatever) even really know where we were headed? They were kept belowdecks, and a review of the old thread reveals nothing specifically said about where we were going. Further, we took enough precautions (disguises, not killing anyone) at Dreadhold that it shouldn't be an issue for Ryger. Besides, there's no way the Kundarak House could connect him to us, right?

TheFallenOne
2013-07-23, 02:48 PM
Perhaps they don't know about it, I have no idea what interaction with the crew they had during the whole thing. If Doc confirms noone told them about it we can try that.

Postmodernist
2013-07-23, 02:54 PM
Assuming they were kept belowdecks and no one said anything to them, they know: we hijacked a ship, used it to go somewhere, and rescued someone. They presumably know we were attacked during the whole battle thing, too. That should be about it.

TheFallenOne
2013-07-24, 03:18 PM
well Posty, your idea, so move things forward :smallwink:

Postmodernist
2013-07-24, 05:29 PM
That works. I was waiting on Sal, but I'll take the initiative on this one right after dinner.

MoleMage
2013-07-26, 01:50 PM
Alright, with the level up after the guards, I can now ask four questions per speak with dead.

Some ideas (and remember we have three corpses)
"What are the names and locations of the people who hired you to kill us?"
"Where is the nearest Emerald Claw base of operations to where you attacked us?"
"Are there any other assassins targeting us at this time?"
"What were you offered to kill us?" (gives us an estimation of what calibre we need to be prepared to deal with in future assassinations attempts)

anything else we want to ask them?

TheFallenOne
2013-07-26, 01:51 PM
So, what's the plan if we do learn where the Emerald Claw base is? The idea of taking them out was well received before we made for Dreadhold, but there seems to be some more apprehension now. Do you just want to get on with the main plot? Or maybe just get to Regalport's shopping district already :smalltongue:

Anyway, first question I'd ask is 'Do you know where the Emerald Claw base in Port Verge is located?' of the greataxe guy; seemed the leader to me. If he says 'No' the whole thing becomes moot anyway.

aaand a ninja. I really like learning how much they were offered for our heads, great idea!

Sallera
2013-07-26, 02:41 PM
Oh, and just to speed things up a little, I'll inform you that for once, one of your interrogation subjects actually made a save, so you only have Greataxe Corpse and Trippy Corpse to question.

Postmodernist
2013-07-26, 05:27 PM
Solid questions. I would only add "Who were you to contact when the task was completed and how/where were you to contact them?" It might be a nice surprise to show up dressed as Trippy and Axe guy and then jump their contact. Xaxhan does have illusion magic, you know.

I still need to level up my sheet. I should accomplish that this weekend.

MoleMage
2013-07-26, 10:46 PM
Oh, and just to speed things up a little, I'll inform you that for once, one of your interrogation subjects actually made a save, so you only have Greataxe Corpse and Trippy Corpse to question.

I forgot it allowed a saving throw until I went to see how many questions I got to ask this time around. Of course, we could always have Shard prepare Gentle Repose and try again in a week...

Postmodernist
2013-07-26, 10:58 PM
I think our window of opportunity will have closed by then.

TekHed
2013-07-27, 12:51 AM
Probably. I concur with the questions...and I'm game to get the drop on our enemies before heading to Regalport. As much as I'm long overdue for a proper shopping spree, I think the benefit of taking the fight to them can't be underestimated...and it worked well to our benefit the first time we raided that basement. They come after us, we hit them harder. Cuz we're gangster like that.

Plus I'm an XP whore... :smallredface:

Postmodernist
2013-07-27, 11:37 AM
Speaking of XP prostitution, I'm nearly done leveling up Xaxhan. He nets some BAB, save bonuses, skills, and a decent free feat. The only thing left is to determine his new spell known. What do you guys think would best benefit the party?

Current contenders:
See Invisibility
Charm Monster
Summon Monster III
Glibness ("WHY YES, I AM THE KING OF KHORVAIRE.")
Anything I'm missing?

EDIT: OOOh, and I forgot: BONUS ATTRIBUTE POINT! I'm thinking Con, to boost my pathetic Fort save and to get an extra HP per level. Are we rolling HP or just doing half? I forget.

TheFallenOne
2013-07-27, 12:22 PM
We're doing average, so on even levels rounded down, odd levels rounded up.

I really don't like Glibness, it's hard to use it without abusing it. I think we got Invisibility well enough covered between Glitterdust and various unusual detection modes. Both Summon and Charm are certainly useful. Ray of Dizziness is also very very nasty.

Postmodernist
2013-07-27, 01:40 PM
Ray of Diziness is great, but it's a single target debuff. While it has no save, I'd rather pop Slow and potentially tag a group of them. Glibness is awesome and hilarious, but it's basically cheating under the crap way the rules are written. Charm Monster is probably the best bet, no? It could potentially be used to snag a short term ally.

TekHed
2013-07-27, 03:40 PM
Page 50! :biggrin:

TheFallenOne
2013-07-27, 03:44 PM
Hey Tek, I see you have two Rings of Diamond Mind on your wish list. I won't need mine once I level as I will take Emerald Razor as a Swordsage maneuver. How about I sell you the ring at a discount?

TekHed
2013-07-27, 03:55 PM
That wishlist is a bit old. Next level I'll get deep impact which is much the same.

TheFallenOne
2013-07-27, 04:10 PM
I figured you'd still want it for the Action Before Thought, polish your Reflex up a sizable bit.

TekHed
2013-07-27, 06:51 PM
The trouble is that in order to use it, I have to replace another of my readied maneuvers. Perhaps there is a more useful level 2 diamond mind maneuver?

How much would you sell it for?

In any case, let's wait and see how much gold we each end up with.

TekHed
2013-07-27, 10:11 PM
Weren't hired, so...not mercs. Actual Claw agents?

What are our next questions for the other?

Postmodernist
2013-07-27, 10:21 PM
We got a name, at least. A cardinal, no less. Maybe the Pope of the Emerald Claw will be after us soon! Or is that just Erandis Vol herself? So they weren't hired... does that imply that these guys were Claw themselves? Presumably, they'd know where the base was if they were actual members.

Mole, you think we could look up your teatime buddy when we get to Regalport? He might be able to track this Cardinal Brahm for us, or at least scurry up some information. Alternately, we could try and pay for a scrying spell on him or something. Any other bright ideas?

MoleMage
2013-07-28, 12:51 PM
We got a name, at least. A cardinal, no less. Maybe the Pope of the Emerald Claw will be after us soon! Or is that just Erandis Vol herself? So they weren't hired... does that imply that these guys were Claw themselves? Presumably, they'd know where the base was if they were actual members.

Mole, you think we could look up your teatime buddy when we get to Regalport? He might be able to track this Cardinal Brahm for us, or at least scurry up some information. Alternately, we could try and pay for a scrying spell on him or something. Any other bright ideas?

I'm not so sure about looking him up so much as him looking me up, but I'll shoot him a sending beforehand so we can hopefully collect the info once we arrive.

TheFallenOne
2013-07-28, 01:25 PM
The trouble is that in order to use it, I have to replace another of my readied maneuvers. Perhaps there is a more useful level 2 diamond mind maneuver?

How much would you sell it for?

In any case, let's wait and see how much gold we each end up with.

In my estimation Action Before Thought is the best you can get out of level 1-3 Diamond Mind. Selling it for 2250 seems fair; 750 less than you'd pay in a shop, 750 more than I'd get in a shop.

But it only becomes relevant once I level again, and while I'm only 1500 XP away we do get it in bulk, so I guess it will still take a while.

Postmodernist
2013-07-28, 01:34 PM
I have to agree with TFO. The Diamond Mind save modifying counters (Action Before Thought, Mind Over Body, Moment of Perfect Mind) are amazing, and especially so for caster types with a high Concentration check who dip initiator classes.

TekHed
2013-07-28, 01:51 PM
Cool. Happy to relieve you of it at the right time. :smallsmile: And yeah Shard's ref save is his weakest, not to mention some sonic attacks allow ref saves (I think?)

TheFallenOne
2013-07-28, 02:01 PM
On the topic of shopping, I think bringing a scroll of Revivify along for Trebez Sinara(and in general) would be a good call as it would be vastly impractical to bring a deceased character back to civilization. A scroll of Raise Dead would be a more efficient contingency certainly, but I guess it costs more than we want to invest whereas Revivify comes decently cheap.

Postmodernist
2013-07-28, 02:40 PM
I'm leery of that, though I'm on board with the intent. Here's why:

Round 1: Someone dies.
Round 2: Responder: Move action, draw scroll of Revivify. Move toward dead dude.
Round three: Spirit leaves the body. Responder casts spell, but it's too late.

It just doesn't work in the action economy without the person being immediately adjacent to the caster or generating extra movement somehow. We tend to move around a lot, which makes things worse utility-wise. Plus, if anything gets in the way, it's lost.

TheFallenOne
2013-07-28, 03:20 PM
Well, Shard is the only one who can use the scroll, and he does have swift teleportation. Sure, it is no Get Out Of Jail Free card, but for the situations where we can use it I'd say thousand and something GP is a fair investment.

Postmodernist
2013-07-28, 04:26 PM
I'm not opposed to the precautionary impulse, I just worry about its utility in a fight. If someone drops, we're already probably in bad shape and those actions might be better used saving our bacon. Still, at the price, it's not terrible.

TekHed
2013-07-28, 06:18 PM
yeah...would be more like....move action/draw scroll>swift teleport>standard activate scroll.

By the by...Trebez Sinara has been called "the Haunted Isle"...ghosts? Should I invest in a truedeath crystal/prepare ghost armor?

TheFallenOne
2013-07-29, 08:24 AM
Well, if you think it's worth it. I prefer more universally useful crystals like the Life Drinking one I have, but with the Emerald Claw as antagonist we're sure to see more undead, be it on Trebez Sinara or elsewhere.

Sallera
2013-07-29, 02:53 PM
No results on that Knowledge check.

TheFallenOne
2013-07-29, 04:02 PM
Probably should have added a 'If the answer to the first question confirms knowledge of the base, but discloses its location in a cryptic manner, we reserve the right to revise the purpose and wording of the remaining questions in order to achieve absolute clarity on the matter at hand which we consider of highest importance amongst all raised concerns.' clause in the fineprint -.-

Never use Speak With Dead, Commune, Wish and similar spells without a lawyer and perhaps a linguist present.

Sallera
2013-07-29, 04:10 PM
If it helps, she doesn't know its exact location, just that there is one, so it wouldn't have made any difference.

TheFallenOne
2013-07-29, 04:23 PM
Well then, just move on to Regalport or any other ideas how we might find them? The best I can come up with is a Locate Object on one of their familiar cloaks bearing Claw insignia(after disposing of ours of course) or a Locate Creature with a lucky guess what kind of undead they might have on hand. Shame to leave them, but then again we're all eager to go shopping.

Postmodernist
2013-07-29, 04:50 PM
I'm doubting that Xaxhan's bardic knowledge check revealed much. What's our next move? Hunt down the claw in Port Verge or move on to Regalport?

TekHed
2013-07-29, 07:10 PM
Um...I concur...we should be able to revise our questions. And also...why ask a question about a bounty, when we already knew these guys were not mercs. Asking who hired was also a duplicate question, since we already got that name...

Can we revise those questions?

I vote we hit 'em in Port Verge.

TheFallenOne
2013-07-29, 07:23 PM
Well, Speak With Dead is a troublesome spell to use in PbP. At a table game you hear the cryptic answer before you have to provide the remaining ones, so you can adjust and build the questions on each other. Give them in bulk, this problem here occurs. Give one after the other and resolving the spell takes way too long. Had the exact same issue just some days ago in my own game. But since she doesn't know where the base is anyway we didn't lose anything from it.

The only trouble I see is that from the answers it would seem she knows and that Grimmgang would be angry at Daiya for screwing up the remaining questions instead of repeating the first in a clearer manner. But I think it's best to just gloss over that part.

Oh, and we're really getting close to the limit of this thread.

TekHed
2013-07-29, 07:36 PM
Yep...only two more posts left after this one, one of which should be reserved for Sal's posting a link to the new one. So...we should probably hold off on posting more til then.

Anyways, how awesome is it that we've filled up 2 OOC threads for this game and only halfway through the module? First time I've experienced that ever. This is arguably my most successful enduring PbP ever. Anyways, hypothetical question...don't reply! Will wait for Sal to make new thread. :smallsmile:

Sallera
2013-07-30, 10:43 AM
And here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295175) it is.

TekHed
2013-07-30, 03:28 PM
Huzzah!

(So sue me I'm a completionist. :smalltongue:)