PDA

View Full Version : Running a pbp adventure path: how to handle maps?

Togath
2012-08-19, 02:16 AM
Somethign i'v ebeen wondering about, ever since I started to think about running pbp of an adventure path i own, was this: how would i handle map?, Anyone have any tips?, I large number of the adventures in it(shackled city) feature mazes, or at least very large dungeons

Re'ozul
2012-08-19, 02:46 AM
I usually just use maptools to make the maps (upside is you can simply import the actual maps as backgrounds) then make screenshots and put them on tinypic.

Togath
2012-08-19, 03:55 AM
Maptools soudns like it could be useful, though I am having trouble figuring out which thign called "maptools" it is, could you link to the website?
Having soem sort of map is probably nesacery for the campaign I had been thinking of running, as the first dungeon has 102 rooms(and they keep being around that number until about level 12)

Strawberries
2012-08-19, 04:04 AM
I've also seen the spreadsheet in Google Docs used to make maps. A bit rudimentary, but effective for a quick fix.

Trouvere
2012-08-19, 04:55 AM
Everyone calls it Maptools, heck I do too, but it's actually Maptool singular. You can find it at http://rptools.net/

Togath
2012-08-19, 08:27 PM
Ok, i've gotten the maptools thingy, anyone know of any places that explain how to use it/have a set of default textures i could use?(at the moment, I can put lines on either a grass field, or a solid colour)

Togath
2012-08-21, 12:41 AM
Sorry about double posting, but, what is maptools supposed to do?, It cant save any lines I put on the grid, the closest I got was it reloading as a blank map screen with an icon thigny I put there
edit: I'm sorry for ranting like that, the weather has been horrible the last few days, and finding out I lost an hour's work on making a map made me snap.

Rallicus
2012-08-21, 01:12 AM
You don't technically need the grids or tokens to snap to grid since it's a play by post, so I'd recommend picking up Roll20. Maptool is great but it has a steep learning curve.

When you set up a campaign in Roll20, drop a screenshot (all adventure packs have map screenshots you can google, if you don't have it in PDF format). Adjust the size, right click, go to layers, and put it as map layer.

I'll explain the rest through pictures:

Step 1: Click where the red arrow is pointing, then click the page settings (green arrow). Uncheck the "Grid Enabled" box.

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/9022549/img/9022549.jpg

Step 2: Find a token (red arrow), drop it, and then right click it. Make it a drawing, as seen next to the green arrow.

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/9022557/img/9022557.jpg

Now that you're done, you can move the token freely as needed. Everything on Roll20 saves when you log out, so your map will be there whenever you need it (as will tokens and tiles if you need to customize).

Hopefully that helps.

Togath
2012-08-21, 01:22 AM
Aye, i'll look up roll20 since it sounds easier to use then maptools
The main thing i needed was a way to keep track fo which room the players were in, and a visual aid to help players figure out which directiosn there are doors in(a few of the intersections in the dungeon i was going to use have four to five possible ways to go from them, and it also has a very high number of hidden doors as well)