PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Enchanter/Illusionist Help

babus
2012-08-19, 07:31 AM
It has been a few years since I posted a character help thread, but as far as I can tell I'm in the right place, so yeah.

First off the basics. Spoilered for block of boring text.

My DM made a homebrew class that gains spells at the same rate as a Bard, but picks spells from the Enchantment and Illusion schools on the Wizard/Sorceror list. It's intentionally lower in power to compensate for the fact that it's a base class version of the Thrallherd, though Arcane in this case, obviously. Spells are cast spontaneously. He also brewed up a feat that lets me access spells of the shadow subtype a level earlier than normal.

The character is a human with 13 Strength, 14 Dex, 15 Con, Intelligence 17, Wisdom 15, and Charisma 17. Stats were rolled randomly.

Current Feats are Earth Sense (as a prereq for Earth Spell), Illusion Focus, Heighten Spell (also a prereq for Earth Spell, I could probably get him to let me switch it out for something and take it later if need be as we've only gone one session), and Shadow Bound which is the custom feat I mentioned earlier. The Flaws are Noncombatant and Frail.

I'm after Earth spell specifically so that I can cast Shadow Evocation and Shadow Conjuration at their level instead of at their level minus one.

The DM told me no on the ShadowCraft Mage + Earth Spell + Sanctum Spell + Acorn of Far Travel trick for casting spells a level higher than I'd normally have access to. Not sure if he'd let me have access to Shadowcraft Mage without the +2 Spell Level trick.

There are no banned books (Dragon Magazine also seems to be allowed), but the individual stuff is subject to approval.

Basically I'm sort of hoping for some advice on where to go with this for feat selection and the like, and possibly what PrCs might be good to look into, though I'm somewhat limited, as I'd like to pick up the second Thrall, which would be at about level 14 (or maybe a little lower, the DM hasn't actually decided yet). I've never actually played a caster before, so while all the handbooks I've seen have been giving good advice, I'm not sure what I should be focusing on to actually be effective with the two schools I have available.

I'm considering maybe taking a PrC that enhances the effectiveness of the Shadow Evocation/Conjuration spells (making them more "real" even when disbelieved) and using the rest of my feats for boosting the save DCs of my Enchantment spells, as that might make the save DC on the shadow spells less important, but again, I've never played a caster, so for all my thoughts, I don't know what's actually going to be effective in battle.

eggs
2012-08-19, 10:06 AM
The trick with enchantments is usually less the DCs than it is the immunities. If the class is strictly enchantments and illusions, you'll probably want to either invest some resources into branching out (or at least targeting a defense other than will saves) and/or into punching spell effects through their immunities (Nightmare Spinner/Fell Frighten/Dread Witch kinds of business).

Otherwise for your more-real Illusions, I the Shadowcrafter, Shadowcraft Mage and Shadow Adept prestige classes and the Enhanced Shadow Reality feat (from one of the Dragon mags) are the big abilities.

babus
2012-08-19, 03:26 PM
Ah, thanks for the reply. I really do like Nightmare Spinner and Dread Witch, though I wasn't sure I could be an effective Fear inducer without access to Necromancy. That, and I can't seem to figure out a way to get access to both Scare and Cause Fear for the Dread Witch prereq, given that no domain grants both (Hatred Domain being the only Scare provider, though a number provide Cause Fear). Nightmare Spinner is another good option, lost spellcasting level for a class that gains them as a Bard aside, however.