PDA

View Full Version : Templates for a crusader race?

Invader
2012-08-19, 10:37 AM
Are there any good good templates you can apply to a race other than dragonborn for someone playing a crusader? I've looked at all the suggested races in the crusader handbook(s) but none of the +0 LA races look that great to me and I'm tired of playing humans.

DeusMortuusEst
2012-08-19, 10:41 AM
Saint? Requires you to be exalted and carries some hefty RP with it, but if you're doing a good character it's a great pick.

Keld Denar
2012-08-19, 10:55 AM
What about Mineral Warrior. It is very tanky, what with the bonus Con and the DR 8/Adamantine. It is a +1 LA template, but generally seen as a bit overpowered due to the lack of the "intended" RP responsibility (servitude to the wizard that created you).

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-08-19, 11:01 AM
Half-Minotaur Mineral Warrior Incarnate Construct Primordial Giant Warforged.

In a less ridiculous suggestion look at the race lists as well.

Invader
2012-08-19, 11:44 AM
Half Minotaur could be fun, mineral warrior wouldn't really fit our campaign though. Are there any good +0 LA templates?

Keld Denar
2012-08-19, 12:48 PM
There really aren't a lot of +0 LA templates. That's kinda the point. Most templates make a creature/character better. If it makes it better, it probably isn't a +0 template, but rather a +1 or higher.

The only +0 template I can think of is the Magic Blooded one, which just gives -2 Wis and +2 Cha, which won't really help you much.

Menteith
2012-08-19, 01:45 PM
Are you looking exclusively at templates, or can races be suggested as well? Regardless, your best bet is checking out Dragon Magazine #306, which contains the Aqautic, Arctic, Desert, Magic-Blooded, and Wild templates, which are all LA0. There just really aren't very many LA0 templates, even with Dragon Mags.

Mithril Leaf
2012-08-19, 03:21 PM
Dragonborn Amphibious Arctic Magic Blooded Shalarin. +4 str, +4 con,-2 wis. 20 foot land speed, 40 foot swim speed, breaths both air and water, gets the sweet dragonborn abilities.

Medic!
2012-08-19, 06:16 PM
Of all the races, Hellbred from Fiendish Codex II is probably one of my all time favorites. I've got a Hellbred Crusader I'm playing in our current table-top campaign and I love him to death (hahaha). Not to mention he fits the flavor of the class very well. You get some decent abilities/bonus feats with the race, but nothing massive.

killianh
2012-08-19, 11:18 PM
a refluffing of lolth-touched?

danzibr
2012-08-20, 11:42 AM
Of all the races, Hellbred from Fiendish Codex II is probably one of my all time favorites. I've got a Hellbred Crusader I'm playing in our current table-top campaign and I love him to death (hahaha). Not to mention he fits the flavor of the class very well. You get some decent abilities/bonus feats with the race, but nothing massive.
Seconded. I love Hellbred.

Manly Man
2012-08-20, 12:38 PM
Thirded as well, those Hellbred folks can be something righteous, and being able to wield evil weapons without penalty is very nice.