PDA

View Full Version : Aura of Evil

Loki Eremes
2012-08-19, 03:26 PM
simple question guys:

Detect Evil detects Alignment & Auras.

Does Undetectable Alignment covers up something like Evil Auras from evil outsiders, paladins and so?
It just states that conceals alignments....

HunterOfJello
2012-08-19, 05:28 PM
I don't think so. I'm not actually sure if there are any ways to hide or disguise auras that are on people. Nystrul's can only be cast on objects, not creatures.

You could always try putting on an object with an aura that is far more powerful than your own.

KillianHawkeye
2012-08-19, 11:11 PM
If you look at the spell detect evil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectEvil.htm), you will notice that the only thing it does is detect evil auras. In other words, any evil object or creature has an aura of evil about it which is detectable by the spell (not just Clerics, Paladins, and Outsiders). The alignment aura class features of the Cleric and Paladin simply indicate that their auras are abnormally strong for a creature of their alignment, and thus they are easier to detect (as evidenced by having a separate entry on the detect evil table).

So, to answer your question:

Does Undetectable Alignment covers up something like Evil Auras from evil outsiders, paladins and so?
Yes, that's EXACTLY what it does.

Psyren
2012-08-20, 08:35 AM
There is precedent for considering them to be identical - the psionic power Aura Alteration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/auraAlteration.htm) for instance.

Loki Eremes
2012-08-20, 07:45 PM
I just tought "Alignment" was just the, for example, "Lawfull Evil" data. And it was isolated from the Aura things.

It would simply suck if you have Undetectable Alignment on, you alignment not being detected but some turns later, your aura busted you. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks people.

HunterOfJello
2012-08-21, 03:39 AM
I just tought "Alignment" was just the, for example, "Lawfull Evil" data. And it was isolated from the Aura things.

It would simply suck if you have Undetectable Alignment on, you alignment not being detected but some turns later, your aura busted you. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks people.

Alignment is much different than an aura. Everyone has an alignment. Some people have actual auras of an alignment. For instance, Paladins have an Aura of Good. It's actually one of their class features. This aura can be detected by a Detect Good spell. A Detect Good spell doesn't people who have a good alignment, it only detects auras that happen to be Good. Auras are completely and specifically different than the normal alignments that everyone has.

I'm not sure if the spell Undetectable Alignment hides an aura that a person has, because it doesn't specifically mention auras.

It's a weird question because the spells that detect alignments seem to be based on auras whereas the spell to hide alignment doesn't mention auras at all. It is likely that the creators intended Undetectable Alignment to hide auras, but that's not what they wrote.

The spell also specifically mentions Divination magic, and not all magic. The spells that would be good to hide your alignment against are usually Evocation or Abjuration school magic.

~

Overall, I say that RAW=No but RAI=yes, barring more information which I don't feel like looking up.

KillianHawkeye
2012-08-21, 07:45 AM
Alignment is much different than an aura. Everyone has an alignment. Some people have actual auras of an alignment. For instance, Paladins have an Aura of Good. It's actually one of their class features. This aura can be detected by a Detect Good spell. A Detect Good spell doesn't people who have a good alignment, it only detects auras that happen to be Good. Auras are completely and specifically different than the normal alignments that everyone has.

It seems I have to repeat myself because you are completely wrong.

A) The detect good spell DOES detect any Good creature. B) It does so by detecting its aura of Good. C) Clerics and Paladins have class features which make their alignment auras stronger and more easy to detect (as evidenced by their being a separate line for Clerics on the table).

Psyren
2012-08-21, 07:52 AM

This is incorrect - Detect Good can also pick up ordinary good creatures (and so on for the other varieties), not just the ones with more powerful auras. They will always register as Faint at a minimum - there is no category for "too weak to detect."

The Giant makes use of this quality in this comic. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0779.html)