PDA

View Full Version : Breaking worn, magical items

pwykersotz
2012-08-19, 05:16 PM
Other than the usual Sunder/Disarm, is there a reliable way to target an opponents worn magical item? Assuming a Wizard didn't want his opponent to have that ring of elemental immunity for example (and that he didn't covet it for himself), what would the most efficient method of removal using non-ninth level spells?

Any feat, skill, item, or spell is a welcome idea. My main thoughts so far are below:

Targeted dispel on the item followed by disintegrate.
Dominate the target and order them to remove the item.
Limited wish it to dust (GM dependant).
Sleight of hand (trouble if you can't back it up with stealth).

Hirax
2012-08-19, 05:18 PM
Summon big burly monster and have it disarm or sunder. As opposed to doing it yourself. I know you mentioned disarm and sunder already, I just figured I'd add on.

Gavinfoxx
2012-08-19, 05:21 PM
Chain Lightning.

TaiLiu
2012-08-19, 06:21 PM
Targeted dispel on the item followed by disintegrate.

One can replace Disintegrate with Shatter.

eggs
2012-08-19, 06:24 PM
Time Hop! It's like destroying things, except you get to keep them when you win.

killianh
2012-08-19, 07:03 PM
you could bluff or diplomacy them into simply handing it over

pwykersotz
2012-08-19, 08:35 PM
Time hop is a pretty good option. I've never really paid attention to the ability to affect an object like that before.

Chain Lightning is even more fantastic, or it would be if I didn't think that a GM would rule that lightning probably can't destroy a metal object. Still, that's one for each Reflex and Will saves.

Bluff and Diplomacy are of limited use in this case, unless dialogue can be established prior to combat. They tend to require the opponent actually listening to you. Still it is an option.

I don't suppose there's any kind of Mordenkainen's Mini-Disjunction that I've just missed all this time? A single target thing? Ranged is better than touch (though with spectral hand, touch is acceptable), and the quicker it can be enacted the better.

Ranting Fool
2012-08-19, 08:59 PM
Remember you can always meta magic touch spells into 30foot rays:smallbiggrin: