PDA

View Full Version : What is better small or medium?

Morithias
2012-08-19, 08:20 PM
If one was to take a race...say the Tibbit or halfling, and just make them medium sized instead of small with no other alterations (Aka no removing the -2 str), would that alter the LA of the race by an significant amount?

The Boz
2012-08-19, 08:23 PM
+10 MS, medium weapons? Yes, that'd be a significant buff.

Ravens_cry
2012-08-19, 08:26 PM
Depends on what character you are trying to build.
For many fighter types, medium is better because a low level spell will make them large, which has pretty heavy buffs, particularly reach, though for mounted chargers, in most campaigns small is better. A medium mount is much easier logistics wise.
On the other hand for sneakers and casters, small is usually better.

Urpriest
2012-08-19, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't alter the LA. But if you're playing a Medium Tibbit, you might as well play a Hengeyoukai instead.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-08-19, 08:32 PM
+10 MS, medium weapons? Yes, that'd be a significant buff.

...+10 what? And the other thing is +1 to +1.5 damage. In exchange for -1 on attack rolls.

ericgrau
2012-08-19, 08:36 PM
He means +10 movement speed. But if the ability scores and movement speed remain the same small is usually better. +1 to hit, +1 AC, +4 to hide, -4 grapple, at most -1.5 damage (usually less, since ranged/casters/rogues will often play the race). The bonus to hit outweighs the lost damage, AC and hide are gravy and the only big drawback is grappling but that's not very common. Or when it is there are ways around it.

In fact I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to exploit medium size on such a race. You might consider a minor benefit to make up for the loss. Maybe +10 movement speed :smalltongue:.

Morithias
2012-08-19, 08:41 PM
Depends on what character you are trying to build.
For many fighter types, medium is better because a low level spell will make them large, which has pretty heavy buffs, particularly reach, though for mounted chargers, in most campaigns small is better. A medium mount is much easier logistics wise.
On the other hand for sneakers and casters, small is usually better.

Well I'm not entirely sure what kind of build this is going to be it's just an idea I have for a campaign. Some kind of "X spirit" (aka harvest, trade, etc) from Japanese mythology, not really a god just basically the equivalent of a dreamcatcher or "cat who watches the fields" etc. (Google Holo from spice and wolf to get what I want)

Then you take a race that has powers similar to that, and take the "wedded to history" feat for immortality, then you fluff yourself as a watcher spirit, who appears when the town, city, etc is in danger, and vanishes when the need has come to pass.

Urpriest
2012-08-19, 08:59 PM
Well I'm not entirely sure what kind of build this is going to be it's just an idea I have for a campaign. Some kind of "X spirit" (aka harvest, trade, etc) from Japanese mythology, not really a god just basically the equivalent of a dreamcatcher or "cat who watches the fields" etc. (Google Holo from spice and wolf to get what I want)

Then you take a race that has powers similar to that, and take the "wedded to history" feat for immortality, then you fluff yourself as a watcher spirit, who appears when the town, city, etc is in danger, and vanishes when the need has come to pass.

See, that sounds exactly like a Hengeyoukai.

Morithias
2012-08-19, 09:57 PM
See, that sounds exactly like a Hengeyoukai.

Yeah I'm kinda seeing that now. You see before you mentioned them I didn't even know those existed. Learn something new everyday right? I don't really like the -2 wisdom since she's suppose to be this wise spirit, then again given how long she's been around she might be "out of touch".

HunterOfJello
2012-08-20, 01:42 AM
The best is to play a small race with (at least) a 30ft movement speed.

Also, once you go to the medium size you start breaking the No Furries rule.

Morithias
2012-08-20, 01:48 AM
The best is to play a small race with (at least) a 30ft movement speed.

Also, once you go to the medium size you start breaking the No Furries rule.

Not looking for what's "Best" for once.

Also would you seriously consider this a furry?

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb58374/spiceandwolf/images/5/51/Holo_Infobox.jpg

eggs
2012-08-20, 02:21 AM
There must be a trick to this question

killianh
2012-08-20, 02:28 AM
look up any post involving choosing between a human or a strongheart halfling to give you an idea

Morithias
2012-08-20, 03:10 AM
There must be a trick to this question

I'm not trying to trick anyone it's exactly as it's sounds. Is medium weapons and improved carrying capacity worth more or less than +1 attack and ac, and +4 hide?

Gnorman
2012-08-20, 03:13 AM
I'm not trying to trick anyone it's exactly as it's sounds. Is medium weapons and improved carrying capacity worth more or less than +1 attack and ac, and +4 hide?

He meant there must be a trick to the "would you consider this a furry" question.

Because yes, yes I would. I think it's the ears and the tail that put it over the top.

Ravens_cry
2012-08-20, 06:00 AM
I never understood peoples objection to furries. Sure, some people take it too far (when people claim they are *really* such an such an animal, that's too far for me), but you'll find people who take anything too far, including our own beloved hobby.

Psyren
2012-08-20, 08:58 AM
I never understood peoples objection to furries. Sure, some people take it too far (when people claim they are *really* such an such an animal, that's too far for me), but you'll find people who take anything too far, including our own beloved hobby.

http://xkcd.com/471/
The above statement is devoid of endorsement of or opposition to the furry fandom.

Mithril Leaf
2012-08-20, 11:23 AM
http://xkcd.com/471/
The above statement is devoid of endorsement of or opposition to the furry fandom.

I was expecting this.
http://xkcd.com/629/

EDIT: Sorry, on topic is that small size is almost always preferable for anything that isn't a non-mounted melee combatant.