PDA

View Full Version : Snakeskin = Leather ?

White_Drake
2012-08-19, 09:53 PM
I was wondering if a snakeskin jacket could count as leather armor; the definition of leather is tanned animal hide, does snakeskin qualify? I thought it would be cool to have a duelist type character that wears one.

The Redwolf
2012-08-19, 09:55 PM
Snakeskin is thin and flimsy, so it wouldn't really work, but you could just say that you have leather armor or whatever it is with snakeskin on top of it an incorporated into the armor with a lacquer or something like that. It's more of a cosmetic thing than it is an actual case of whether or not it works for armor.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-19, 09:56 PM
There is a snakeskin armor in the MIC that counts as leather armor, so I think that's pretty close.

The Redwolf
2012-08-19, 09:57 PM
There is a snakeskin armor in the MIC that counts as leather armor, so I think that's pretty close.

Wait seriously, how does that make sense? Snakeskin is like tissue-paper thin and has no strength to it and...stupid fantasy world.:smallannoyed:

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-19, 10:01 PM
Wait seriously, how does that make sense? Snakeskin is like tissue-paper thin and has no strength to it and...stupid fantasy world.:smallannoyed:

Well, it's fantasy. We know for a fact snakeskin is not so thin in D&D (they have natural armor), so it's even consistent with itself.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-19, 10:01 PM
Considering

a) it is a magic armour

b) in D&D world there are giant snakes

It isn't far fetched to have a snake skin armour.

White_Drake
2012-08-19, 10:05 PM
Thanks, I assume you mean the Serpent Armor, which is close enough that with some slight refluffing, it should be perfect.

jaybird
2012-08-19, 10:08 PM
http://pumpkinswirl08.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/2_3basilisk.jpg

This thing would probably have some pretty tough skin :smallbiggrin:

Talya
2012-08-19, 10:11 PM
Nightscale armor (FR Underdark sourcebook) is light armor described as being made from a "dark snakeskin steeped in mysterious alchemical mixtures." It's a non-magical special material and can be enchanted however you like.

A suit of it costs 1000 gp, has a +2 armor bonus, +10 max dex bonus, no armor check penalty, a 5% arcane spell failure chance, and weighs only 3 lbs.

White_Drake
2012-08-19, 10:23 PM
Nightscale armor is perfect! I was probably going to try to get it made from shadow asp skin (from Fiend Folio but this is exactly what I wanted, thank you!

Knaight
2012-08-19, 10:25 PM

This is where layers come in. That said, the skin snakes shed is essentially part of their epidermis, snakeskin harvested from snakes would likely include the dermis. This could potentially make a significant difference, particularly with larger constrictor snakes.

KillianHawkeye
2012-08-19, 10:50 PM
This is where layers come in. That said, the skin snakes shed is essentially part of their epidermis, snakeskin harvested from snakes would likely include the dermis. This could potentially make a significant difference, particularly with larger constrictor snakes.

This. We're talking whole snake hide, not just the thin outer layers they shed on a regular basis.

The Redwolf
2012-08-19, 10:52 PM
This. We're talking whole snake hide, not just the thin outer layers they shed on a regular basis.

...I should have realized that a long time ago...

Darrin
2012-08-19, 11:14 PM
There's also Chameleon Leather from Serpent Kingdoms that's made out of, well, "the hide of an ophidian". Can't really get more snakeskin than that. Not only is it much cheaper than Nightscale, it grants a +2 circumstance bonus to Hide checks, which is awfully hard to come by.

And in Eberron, there's Dreamhide armor in Secrets of Xen'drik, made from the skins of dream serpents. A little bit better than a chain shirt.

Ernir
2012-08-19, 11:32 PM
Hah! Your confusion is your rightful punishment for expecting things to make sense in D&D!

ericgrau
2012-08-20, 01:37 AM
Simple solution: D&D has 30 foot snakes. Bam, now it's thick enough for leather.

Ashtagon
2012-08-20, 02:46 AM
I was wondering if a snakeskin jacket could count as leather armor; the definition of leather is tanned animal hide, does snakeskin qualify? I thought it would be cool to have a duelist type character that wears one.

You forgot a couple of steps in making leather armour.

Shoe leather is tanned. Modern leather jackets are tanned. Note that it can be bent easily with one hand.

Leather armour? You could punch it and not make a dent in it.

otoh, your game, go wild with it. If dragons, then...

Ranting Fool
2012-08-20, 05:41 AM
Snakes.... why did it have to be snakes! :smallbiggrin:

Oh and +1 to it being made from giant snakes :smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2012-08-20, 01:46 PM
Simple solution: D&D has 30 foot snakes. Bam, now it's thick enough for leather.

There have been many snakes in the real world over 20 feet and some even over 30 feet. Their skin still wouldn't be thick enough for leather. However, as someone said, snakes have natural armor in DnD, meaning that their skin likely would be enough for it. The solution is simply that DnD snakes aren't necessarily bigger than normal Earth snakes, but that their biology is just different, especially with regards to their skin, which is thicker.

the_david
2012-08-20, 02:57 PM
I think snakes just shed the toplayer of their skin. You can make leather out of it like you can make leather out of alligator skin.

Leather armor is boiled and then stretched over a mannequin. It then hardens in that form and presto, your leather armor is done.

BobVosh
2012-08-20, 03:01 PM
I've always wonder, to thread jacked what appears to be an answered thread, do dragons molt?

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-20, 03:27 PM
I've always wonder, to thread jacked what appears to be an answered thread, do dragons molt?

I'm trying really hard but I can't understand that sentence

VGLordR2
2012-08-20, 03:29 PM
I'm trying really hard but I can't understand that sentence

He's saying that he is going off on a slight tangent to see if Dragons will molt. I assume that he wants to make armor out of the Dragon's skin.

ericgrau
2012-08-20, 06:19 PM
In both cases I believe you need the hide not just the thin outer layer of skin. It has to die.

Rubik
2012-08-20, 08:06 PM
Snakes.... why did it have to be snakes! :smallbiggrin:

Oh and +1 to it being made from giant snakes :smallbiggrin:They're mother-&^%$ing fiendish snakes from a mother-&^%$ing plane!

Probably the Abyss.

KillianHawkeye
2012-08-21, 07:51 AM
I believe there's a specific mention about how dragonscale armor can be made from scales which are voluntarily shed by a dragon.

But no, dragons don't shed their skins like snakes.