PDA

View Full Version : Darke Chronicles: 4e-like Planeswalking Homebrew

SirJames
2012-08-19, 11:33 PM
So this is a game that my group and I have been playing for a while, based a least largely on 4e, with modifications to allow for multiple movements in a round, multiple attacks, and the like. The biggest changes are that we've reduced the number of stats to just Fortitude - representing Strength and Constitution, giving bonus to raw physical power, Dexterity - representing Speed and Agility, giving a bonus to physical accuracy and dodgeyness, and Willpower - representing magic ability and defense. Also, we use a point spend system in all actions. Dependent on the character level, they have Action Points that can be spent on movement, attack, and other actions. One point for a movement, one point for a physical attack. Higher power magic costs many Action Points and must be 'charged up' for a round or two.

As well, the game is a multi-universe game, with the main characters traveling between already established fiction. For example, I (as the DM), ran the group through the entirety of the plot of The Wizard of Oz, playing the role that Dorothy and Co. did in the film and books. They've been through a Zombie apocalypse city, stopped the sinking of the Titanic, escaped from the Technodrome fighting dozens of Foot Soldiers, convinced Simba to return as king of Pride Rock, and so on and so forth. Of course, other characters also planeswalk, resulting in the zombie plague following them to Pride Rock, Magneto taking up the role of Darth Vader's secret apprentice ("Rise as my apprentice, Darth Ferrous..."), and other ridiculous things.

Without going on too long about the story and whatnot, the main reason I've created this post is to ask for assistance in creating classes for my players.

Each player uses their own source for abilities from a fiction area that they enjoy. Up until now, we've been using basic 4e d20 rules, and forcing all abilities from each fiction system into powers similar to what the Player's Handbook would list. However, I'm looking for a complete revamping, to help each person feel like they are a distinct, different, and yet necessary part of the team. I want the players to be balanced, yet unique, and each have their own system that reflects the fiction they've chosen.

There are six players, with the following choices of power foundations:
1. Wheel of Time - Female Wilder
2. D&D - Sorcerer (this player also has learned mild Jedi Force Powers)
3. Riftwar - Greater Path Mage
4. Chronicles of Amber - Walker of the Logrus
5. Magic the Gathering - Black/White Control
6. Magic the Gathering - Green/White/Blue Aggro

With the revamp, I want some things to change, like the Magic the Gathering users getting actual decks of cards, and the Wheel of Time user needing to make checks for each element she uses, making complex weaves far more difficult than easy ones. Of course, this creates some other problems, like mana source for the Magic players, and prepared vs unprepared spells for the D&D guy. Should I have mana cards be included in the decks, or should mana be a constant development over time?

I'm looking for interesting ideas for systems to use, either imagined by you guys, or already established that I can go check out books.

I have some ideas right now, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

This is what I'm working on right now:

1. Weaving - similar to D&D, with the addition that many powers can be 'tied off' to keep them going. ie// a Lightning shock will do ongoing damage.
Attacks get a bonus when used again on the same enemy in a subsequent round if tied off.
For each weave element, roll a d20. Above 10 is a 'success,' above 15 is a 'good success,' and a 20 is a 'great success.' Once the weave is formed, the attack roll gets a bonus dependent on the number of successes. She gets a +1 if she got a Good Success, and a +5 on a Great Success. A regular success gets no bonus.
Channelers also can have affinities with elements. An affinity basically means you get to roll an additional d6 when weaving that element, giving a better chance of success. If the d20 and the d6 add to more than 20, the success still counts as a 'Great Success.'
In order to start channeling, the user must 'Embrace the source,' essentially turning on their magic. If someone embraces the source too long, it can become addicting, or burn them out, and in extreme cases, make them unable to use magic again.
To emulate the burn out in mild cases, I figure I will allow the weaving to take several rounds. Consider a spell that uses three elements: fire, water, and spirit for example. In order to cast the spell, she will need successes in all three weaves. She rolls three d20 dice, getting a 8, a 9, and a 17 respectively for the elements. Because she has an affinity for fire, she rolls an extra d6, and gets a 5. No problem for fire or for spirit. But the water weave failed. Thus the spell will not work. However, since the other two worked, she can hold on to those two and try again next round. If the player fails continuously, and holds onto the weaves for too long - let's say, three rounds without letting go - she becomes dazed until she saves.

2. Magic the Gathering - spells require specific colored mana to cast. The idea is that each player gets several dice, equal to their level (which represent their Action Points). The dice have, instead of numbers, mana color symbols representing their mana affinities. The Black/White player will have dice with an even split of White symbols and Black symbols. The three color player will have a different split, as most of his spells are Green, with only a few Blue.
At the beginning of combat on their turn, they will roll the dice, which become their mana pool. If they choose, on subsequent turns, they may reroll a certain number of dice - perhaps equal to their Will?
My question here is whether the players should get to roll all of their dice at the beginning of the combat, or if they should roll one or two to start, then roll an extra one each turn to build up to full mana, like a normal Magic the Gathering game?
The spells that they have will come in deck form, in cards. They can draw a hand of cards at the beginning of combat, and draw another each turn. The number of available cards will depend on the availability of the spell normally, ie// if the spell would be a daily, they are only allowed a single copy in the deck. If the spell would be an at-will, they can have up to 4 copies.

3. D&D - Obviously very much like regular D&D. The player is a fan of 3.5e more than 4e, so some changes will be done to account for that. I would like to implement Metamagic feats for this guy, as well as use some of the aspects of 'Force Points' that Star Wars d20 uses. The Force Points would allow the player to boost an attack that would have missed by rolling an extra d6, much like using the Force to correct a misfired Melf's Acid Arrow, or use the d6 to add to damage instead, empowering the attack.
I would like to use spell slots in some manner for this guy, such that he has a certain number of spell slots available for certain levels, like in 3.5. As Sorcerer, he would not have to prepare spells beforehand, but would still not be able to cast Magic Missile more than x number of times per day, dependent on his level and his Willpower.
Any ideas for Metamagic feats?

4. Amber Chronicles - I don't have much for this system, beyond the idea of using something similar to 4e's Swordmage Aegis. The difference here would be that this guy has lots of Chaos in all of his abilities. He would have the advantage/disadvantage of having both the Aegis of Assault and the Aegis of Ensnaring, dependent on his flip of a coin. If an enemy is marked, any time that enemy makes an attack against someone that isn't the Amber player, the Amber player flips a coin. Heads results in the Amber player being teleported to a square adjacent to the enemy. Tails results in the enemy being teleported to a square adjacent to the Amber player. Try strategizing around that. The player will be able to mark multiple creatures, based on Willpower.
This player also has the advantage of being able to attack multiple times per round with his sword, due to training intensely with it.
Another idea is that the player will be able to create 'Trumps,' or cards that can summon allies, or open doorways to other places.

5. Riftwar - Like the Amber Chronicles, since I haven't read this series, I don't know much about it. I understand there are two 'Paths' to magic, the Lesser Path and the Greater Path, and that the main character learns teleportation, which this player really wants. I'm thinking elemental magic as well, since he likes fire. Maybe something with 4e Stances? I don't know. I'm really grasping at nothing.

Well, that's it. What do you think?