PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Making an Amulet of Plot Breaking?

Arbane
2012-08-20, 02:25 AM
Just a random thought I had: How much would an amulet or ring of Protection from Evil be worth? For a mere first-level spell, it's ridiculously powerful, and a continuous item of it could completely shut down some enemies.

Baroncognito
2012-08-20, 04:03 AM
By the rules, if it's a first level, continuously active, on a item that takes up a slot, and the duration is 1min/level:

2,000 x 1 x 2 = 4,000 gold.

nbates
2012-08-20, 04:06 AM
[Edit] Lost to Baroncognito!

After taking a look at the Core Rulebook (pg. 550-553), to me it looks like it might qualify as a "Spell Effect - Use-activated or continuous" item. The cost is Spell level x Caster Level x 2,000gp. The exceptions below table 15-29 explain "If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2."

(1 x 1 x 2,000) x 2

Does this really mean this ring would only cost 4,000gp to make?

Wonton
2012-08-20, 04:25 AM
Ah yes, Protection from Evil, also known as "Poor man's Mind Blank".

Wow, just looked it up, Mind Blank is an 8th-level spell. I mean, it obviously covers more and lasts longer but still...

Ranos
2012-08-20, 04:28 AM
Note that in PF, protection from evil really only works against evil. A neutral fey or something can still mind-control you to her heart's content.

sdream
2012-08-20, 08:40 AM
Also note that definitely in PF and maybe in 3.5, protection from Evil only protects you from spells that effect direct, ongoing control of your mind, such as domination and possession.

Fear and confusion are not blocked.

Psyren
2012-08-20, 08:47 AM
Note that in PF, protection from evil really only works against evil. A neutral fey or something can still mind-control you to her heart's content.

You still get the second save + morale bonus every time you're targeted though. Not stellar but better than nothing.

But I did like that change; PF did a good job of making Enchanters somewhat relevant again.

Frosty
2012-08-20, 01:01 PM
Also in PF, Mind Blank doesn't provide immunity to mind-affecting effects. It merely provides a +8 resistance bonus vs them, and the bonus does not stack with items like Cloak of Resistance.

Diarmuid
2012-08-20, 01:06 PM
Such an item would require DM approval though, as it's not a standard item. In 3.5 with the rider of the +2 deflection bonus to AC it should definitely cost way more than 4k for all the time.

watchwood
2012-08-20, 05:47 PM
Such an item would require DM approval though, as it's not a standard item. In 3.5 with the rider of the +2 deflection bonus to AC it should definitely cost way more than 4k for all the time.

Not really, the AC bonus is only vs evil creatures. you don't get it when attacked by neutrals or goods. Which mean's it's useless against animals, elementals, constructs, a large portion of the humanoid population, and a number of other creatures.

The Redwolf
2012-08-20, 06:09 PM
Could you make an item that gives continuous "magic circle against..."? I feel like that could jack some stuff up.

Endarire
2012-08-21, 02:57 AM
Of course!

A magic circle continuous effect would cost (spell level 3 x caster level 5 * 1.5 for 10 min/CL duration * 2000) or 45K. Getting it at will is cheaper. It's only 1800 * spell level 3 * caster level 5 or 27K.

Fouredged Sword
2012-08-21, 05:03 AM
What you need then, to avoid the alignment issues, is to make an amulet with all four protection layered on it. Then the only concern is TN foes.

The Redwolf
2012-08-21, 09:17 AM
Of course!

A magic circle continuous effect would cost (spell level 3 x caster level 5 * 1.5 for 10 min/CL duration * 2000) or 45K. Getting it at will is cheaper. It's only 1800 * spell level 3 * caster level 5 or 27K.

Wow, thought it would be more than that. So wouldn't that protect you from a lot more, like evil characters wouldn't be able to get near you and stuff like that?

Arbane
2012-08-21, 11:07 PM

Are you sure? The way it was worded, I thought the anti-mind-control effect worked against anything, regardless of alignment.

(I thought of this item because the party I'm in is currently trying to sneak into a city full of mind-controlling enemies. We bought a few Wands of Protection From Evil, which have already proved useful...)

Deophaun
2012-08-21, 11:19 PM
Wow, thought it would be more than that. So wouldn't that protect you from a lot more, like evil characters wouldn't be able to get near you and stuff like that?
Evil characters can get near you without a problem. Evil summoned creatures would need to get an SR check to get close, though.

Edit: forgot it was PF specific.

Psyren
2012-08-22, 08:05 AM
Are you sure? The way it was worded, I thought the anti-mind-control effect worked against anything, regardless of alignment.

In 3.5 you're right - the suppression ability doesn't care about alignment.
PF changed that - which does make a certain sense, but also makes some creatures more dangerous (e.g. fey, like a Satyr or Dryad, with its charms and suggestions.)

Here's the pertinent part that they changed:

This second effect works regardless of alignment.

This second effect only functions against spells and effects created by evil creatures or objects, subject to GM discretion.