PDA

View Full Version : Lore Warden to Student of War [Pathfinder]

Baroncognito
2012-08-20, 07:05 AM
So, I've got an idea for an elven fighter, kind of an Ambassador. Not an optimized game at all. Primary ability score will be intelligence.

Now, what I'm having trouble with is weapon selection. I'm skipping reach weapons because Student of War allows intelligence to replace dexterity, so attacks of opportunity are not a large part of the build. Instead, I'm considering the Elven Curve Blade and the Scythe.

If I go Elven Curve Blade, I imagine I'll use Tripping Strike a fair amount, whereas Scythe would definitely be better off using Felling Blow.

The Curve blade works well for an ambassador because she'd get to say "Oh, yes, it's a cultural weapon, don't worry about it."

The scythe, however, would work with all the CMB bonuses Lore Warden provides. I don't think that Tripping Strike pays those any mind.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-08-20, 07:52 AM
Any weapon can trip: all the "trip" weapon quality does now is allow you to drop your weapon instead of fall prone should you fail your Combat maneuver roll.

Baroncognito
2012-08-22, 02:28 AM
Any weapon can trip: all the "trip" weapon quality does now is allow you to drop your weapon instead of fall prone should you fail your Combat maneuver roll.

Oh, okay. Thanks. Though it apparently also allows you to use the weapon enhancement bonus to drag and reposition

Cool. So Elven Curve blade and Crit trip fishing seems like the way to go.

Is it worth it to take a level of bard (archivist) to get Diplomacy as a class skill and +1 to all knowledge checks? (as well as a couple of useful spells like Prestidigitation? (an ambassador needs to look presentable).

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-08-22, 09:54 AM
I personally like taking a level of spellcasting class with an otherwise straight martial class build: Bard, for example, gives access to various skills, as you noted, but also to a couple useful spells, and quite importantly, wands. Since Cure Light Wounds is on the bard spell list, you get one of the best wands (with no UMD check!) for a martial character.

I would say yes, it is probably worth it. Others will no doubt disagree. What is your CHA at?

You might also look into Eldritch Heritage feats, if your CHA is 13 or better... which I assume it is, for an Ambassador who is considering a Bard dip.

deuxhero
2012-08-22, 06:19 PM
Prestigidation and Diplomacy as a class skill are both something you can grab as a trait.