PDA

View Full Version : Flying Mount Feat Suggestions

LanSlyde
2012-08-20, 10:50 AM
I currently have a 11HD Wartrained Griffon mount rolled up for a campaign we will be starting in a couple weeks.

Now, our group houserules that feats are gained at 1st, 2nd, and every even level after.

That said, my griffon has the following feats.

(1) Iron Will
(2) Multiattack
(4) Hover
(6) Flyby Attack
(8) Snatch
(10) Wingover

Do you guys have any suggestions? I'm not looking for synergy between the mount and rider, I want this thing to be able to handle itself while the rider pulls a bullet dive on the unsuspecting forces of evil.:smallbiggrin:

Urpriest
2012-08-20, 10:54 AM
What's Iron Will doing in this setup?

If the rider is focused on diving at things, maybe you should give this guy the standard charge package? Shock Trooper, mostly. It's already got Pounce. Maybe stick a Mouthpick weapon in its mouth to give it iteratives.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-20, 11:01 AM
1. Iron Will
2. Multiattack
4. Improved Flight (RotW)
6. Flyby Attack
8. Snatch
10. Improved Snatch (Draconomicon)

LanSlyde
2012-08-20, 11:02 AM
What's Iron Will doing in this setup?

If the rider is focused on diving at things, maybe you should give this guy the standard charge package? Shock Trooper, mostly. It's already got Pounce. Maybe stick a Mouthpick weapon in its mouth to give it iteratives.

You misunderstand, the rider is diving by himself, as in jumping off his mount midair at things. I'm not really worried about gear for the thing, and the rider already has shocktrooper. Iron will was a leftover that I have yet to replace, which is why I am here asking for suggestions.

EDIT: Checked out improved snatch, was it meant to say two catagories larger instead? Also, I'm a little leery of Improved Flight, really don't see it helping that much.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-20, 11:14 AM
A Huge creature with Snatch can only grab targets small size or smaller. Improved Snatch allows a Huge creature to grab targets medium size or smaller. It says it can grab targets two sizes smaller [than the creature taking the feat] instead of targets three sizes smaller.

You included both Hover and Wingover. On a creature with average maneuverability, Improved Flight upgrades it to good maneuverability, allowing it to hover among many other benefits. There's never any reason to take Hover over Improved Flight on a creature that normally has average maneuverability.

LanSlyde
2012-08-20, 11:21 AM
A Huge creature with Snatch can only grab targets small size or smaller. Improved Snatch allows a Huge creature to grab targets medium size or smaller. It says it can grab targets two sizes smaller [than the creature taking the feat] instead of targets three sizes smaller.

You included both Hover and Wingover. On a creature with average maneuverability, Improved Flight upgrades it to good maneuverability, allowing it to hover among many other benefits. There's never any reason to take Hover over Improved Flight on a creature that normally has average maneuverability.

Ah, I see. Yeah, that makes sense. I didn't realize having good maneuverability nets him auto-hover

LanSlyde
2012-08-21, 11:55 AM
Alright folks, an update.

The DM has concluded that it is silly that the only effective way a mount gains experience is either as a Paladins mount or a Druid or Rangers companion.

He has ruled that mounts and other creatures that travel with the party can experience and 'levels' just like the rest of us. Now with that said I've taken the opportunity to plot his feat progression out to 20.

(1) Toughness (houseruled to function as Improved Toughness)

(2) Multiattack (monster manual)

(4) Improved Flight: Good (races of the wild)

(6) Flyby Attack (MM)

(8) Snatch (MM)

(10) Improved Snatch (MM)

(12) Improved Multiattack (MM)

(14) Power Dive (Savage Species)

(16) Involuntary Rage (SS)

(18) Pain Mastery (SS)

(20) Diehard (Housrule is you die from over damage when your -hp is equal to 1/2 your maximum hp)

Alright, what do you guys think?

Urpriest
2012-08-21, 11:58 AM
...mounts already do gain XP etc. from traveling, it's called being a cohort. If the mount isn't a cohort, what's motivating it to travel with you?

LanSlyde
2012-08-21, 12:33 PM
...mounts already do gain XP etc. from traveling, it's called being a cohort. If the mount isn't a cohort, what's motivating it to travel with you?

DM arbitration? He doesn't see why you have to take feats to earn a mount that sticks around. Considering I've been using Handle Animal to raise this thing from the egg I'm inclined to agree.

Slipperychicken
2012-08-21, 02:18 PM
You misunderstand, the rider is diving by himself, as in jumping off his mount midair at things.

This is amazing. Get Battle Jump for the rider, from Unapproachable East. Free charge attack (Full attack, since you took PounceBarbarian1) every time you fall at your enemies. Enjoy your doubled damage output.

LanSlyde
2012-08-21, 02:25 PM
This is amazing. Get Battle Jump for the rider, from Unapproachable East. Free charge attack (Full attack, since you took PounceBarbarian1) every time you fall at your enemies. Enjoy your doubled damage output.

Thank you |^_^|.. but I've already got the riders feats planned out. Currently I'm just looking for things that will allow my griffon to hold his own in combat while the rider is off bashing things personally.