PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Wizard or Sorcerer

Iceheart2112
2012-08-20, 05:21 PM
So I came up with an interesting idea I'd like to play next time I game. Its a caster with an imp familiar, but not evil just wanting more personal power (think Varsuvius but more lawful). Looking at the options wizard is kind of a must have, but I was thinking a infernal bloodline sorcerer would go well too. Problem is they dont get a familiar. So would it be worth it to take 1 level in wiz then all sorcerer, or just full wizard?

watchwood
2012-08-20, 05:38 PM
The only think you'd really gain from taking a single level of another spellcasting class are a couple extra cantrips and 1st levels spells, and maybe a few other abilities - and it'd set the casting progression of your main class back by a level. I would honestly just stick with a pure wizard.

Deadlights
2012-08-20, 05:47 PM
The arcane bloodline sorcerer gets a familiar at level one.

grarrrg
2012-08-20, 06:38 PM
The arcane bloodline sorcerer gets a familiar at level one.

If you'd still rather go infernal, then you can go Crossblooded Sorcerer, although that comes with penalties.
Or you can take Skill Focus and the Eldritch Heritage feat.

Analytica
2012-08-20, 07:23 PM
How about witch?

Endarire
2012-08-20, 07:31 PM
+1 to pure Wizard.

SamBurke
2012-08-20, 07:31 PM
How about witch?

BAM.

Logic. It hits.

So, to sum up:

Wizard, Sorc, and Witch all work. Just do whatever you want, because this thread really can't help with a choice between three equally plausible sources.

THOUGH, there has been a number of great suggestions for feats and progression and such.

Eldonauran
2012-08-20, 07:43 PM
How about Tattooed Sorcerer? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/tattooed-sorcerer)
You still get to pick a bloodline (though you lose some of the powers) AND get to have a familiar too.

Iceheart2112
2012-08-20, 09:18 PM
Thanks alot for all the input. I did have an additional question in regards to the imp. I pick him up at 7th level as per the feat, but how/where does that work with regards to the familiar progression chart? Does he gain everything that he would with me being 7th level or does he start at the beginning?

grarrrg
2012-08-20, 09:30 PM
Thanks alot for all the input. I did have an additional question in regards to the imp. I pick him up at 7th level as per the feat, but how/where does that work with regards to the familiar progression chart? Does he gain everything that he would with me being 7th level or does he start at the beginning?

Familiars sort of have 2 level progressions.
It has a Master Class Level (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/familiar), based on the total level of all your classes that grant a Familiar. This determines the Natural Armor bonus, the INT bonus, and what Special Abilities it has.

A Familiars Base stats are ALWAYS based on your FULL Character level.
This includes Bab and HD, and the Familiar uses your Saves/Skills or its own, whichever are better.

So a Wizard 1/Fighter 19's Familiar would only have 6 INT, +1 Nat Armor, and the basic Abilities. But it would have 19 Bab, half of 19d10+1d6+(your) CON for HP, a +11 Fort Save, a +8 Will Save, and (most likely) use your Skill Ranks.

Also, since you are considering an Imp anyway, consider going Diabolist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/diabolist)?
It's a Full Casting PrC that grants an Imp as an (animal?) Companion, so you'd still have your Familiar. And the Imp's Companion level is partially based on your Caster level, so it would keep up nicely.
You would lose Bloodline progression though, so it's up to you.

Iceheart2112
2012-08-20, 11:14 PM
On the same note: how would the Int increases work, if at all? An imp's Int score is 13 to begin with, so would it just stay that way or would it get an increase where a regular familiar gets one, just added to 13?

Corlindale
2012-08-21, 04:06 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't just be added onto the imps higher base int. Part of the advantage of an improved familiar.

I recommend the Eldritch Heritage feat - it's the simplest way to get the familiar if you're set on taking the infernal bloodline. Depending on the reading of the Improved Familiar requirements it might mean that you can't get the imp until 9th level, however.