PDA

View Full Version : Summoning Monsters from a Scroll

Palanan
2012-08-20, 05:57 PM
So, here's a very basic question: if I'm casting a scroll of Summon Monster, is the choice of monster already predetermined? Can I choose on the fly which monster I'll call, or is that choice made during the scribing process?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2012-08-20, 06:09 PM
Scrolls, d20srd:
Determine Effect
A spell successfully activated from a scroll works exactly like a spell prepared and cast the normal way. Assume the scroll spell’s caster level is always the minimum level required to cast the spell for the character who scribed the scroll (usually twice the spell’s level, minus 1), unless the caster specifically desires otherwise.

The writing for an activated spell disappears from the scroll.
Summon Monster I, d20srd:
The spell conjures one of the creatures from the 1st-level list on the accompanying Summon Monster table. You choose which kind of creature to summon, and you can change that choice each time you cast the spell.Seems pretty straightforward to me. You choose what monster to summon when you cast the spell, or in this case when you use the scroll.

ericgrau
2012-08-20, 06:15 PM
What he said. More or less someone else prepared the spell for you and you're finishing it, so you make the choices. Wands are much simpler to use but they still let you make spell choices and still require a very basic understanding of spellcasting. Potions and oils are what involve no choices and so the crafter makes those upon creation.

Palanan
2012-08-20, 06:30 PM
Very cool, thank you both. This works well for me.

:smallbiggrin: