PDA

View Full Version : Can Anybody Help me With Character Optimization?

KoboldofDoom
2012-08-20, 06:54 PM
Hi.

I'm currently part of a small campaign, and am incredibly lazy, so I must ask; What's the strongest tenth level character I can make using Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, Monster Manual 1-5, Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide/Players Guide to Faerun, Magic of Faerun, Libris Mortis, and the Tome of Battle, which I've never used before, but find interesting.

Any ideas?

Zaq
2012-08-20, 07:11 PM
As a wise man must said, you must have a ride before it can be pimped.

Helping with CharOp? Sure. Building you a character from scratch? Not likely.

Zale
2012-08-20, 07:22 PM
Kobold with snake familiar -> Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu -> Summon Sarruhk -> Ascend.

You are now the strongest thing ever.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-20, 07:31 PM
By his books constraints he can't actually use Pun-Pun at level 1, he doesn't have FC1 for Pazuzu nor Serpent Kingdoms for the Sahruk.

Urpriest
2012-08-20, 07:35 PM
Yeah, give us at least an archetype to strive for. Sans that, Wizard I suppose. You have Incantatrix. Go nuts.

Eldan
2012-08-20, 07:36 PM
Wasn't the Sarrukh in Serpent Kingdoms? Without it, he can't really pull a proper Pun-Pun.

Zale
2012-08-20, 07:37 PM
By his books constraints he can't actually use Pun-Pun at level 1, he doesn't have FC1 for Pazuzu nor Serpent Kingdoms for the Sahruk.

Sorry. I thought it was just a Faerun thing.

In which case, go for Wizard/Incantrix.

Endarire
2012-08-20, 07:41 PM
Find what you need in this handbooks section (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?board=28.0).

It's optimization advice galore!

(May require registration.)

KoboldofDoom
2012-08-20, 07:42 PM
What I really want to know is how to use the ToB, which, as I said, I've never touched before, and find interesting. I own the other books mentioned and waas wondering if there was some way to combine them with ToB. As I don't own it myself, I figured I'll just ask people who do own it/have used it. Or, basically, how do I abuse it?

And no DM worth his dice hasn't heard of Pun Pun. The only time I ever got close we started at level to, and since I was just a level 1 kobold wizard with divine minion I died very quickly.

For some reason my computer doesn't recognize minmaxboards as a site, and the laptop I use is broken. Thanks anyways though.

Anyone see a ToB guide anywhere?

KoboldofDoom
2012-08-20, 07:58 PM
Nevermind found one, Thanks, though.

eggs
2012-08-20, 09:19 PM
And no DM worth his dice hasn't heard of Pun Pun. The only time I ever got close we started at level to, and since I was just a level 1 kobold wizard with divine minion I died very quickly.
You know that's a joke "how to play like an *******" suggestion, right?

Roguenewb
2012-08-20, 09:31 PM
Hmm. Isn't emancipated spawn in Libris Mortis?

Wanna break a campaign? Here we go:

One day, long ago, you were a Wizard 30 (it could be more, but that's just greedy) unfortunately, when you were sleeping, you got eaten by a ghoul! (Oh no!) But, luckily for you, your ghoul master died! (Again!) From there you went through 2 levels of little know PrC. The next time you gain a level, all your old class features will come back! Or, this could have happened at this level, then you are an ECL ten epic character!

So fair! And so balanced! And yet, allowed by RAW...

killianh
2012-08-20, 10:18 PM
Hmm. Isn't emancipated spawn in Libris Mortis?

Savage species, which is 3.0 anyway

EDIT: Also the class would bring your ECL up to your monster ECL+three levels of emancipated spawn+your former class levels.

Wings of Peace
2012-08-20, 10:22 PM

3.0 material is still legal in 3.5. Granted it's not in the OP's book list.

Roguenewb
2012-08-20, 10:54 PM

EDIT: Also the class would bring your ECL up to your monster ECL+three levels of emancipated spawn+your former class levels.

Good catch on the book. But don't try to logic emancipated spawn. If you read the example, you can adventure as the monster's normal ECL, then when you hit level 3, you can jump to any old ECL. It's busted. I believe level 6 epic magic is possible through it.

Gnome Alone
2012-08-21, 12:19 AM
Kobold with snake familiar -> Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu -> Summon Sarruhk -> Ascend.

You are now the strongest thing ever.

My first thought upon reading "Character Optimization" in conjunction with "Kobold Of Doom" was something like, "Nobody help him, he's the real Pun-Pun, trying to ascend!" Glad someone made something like that joke.

Mnemnosyne
2012-08-21, 12:39 AM
Given the book limitations he gave, I would say the strongest character he could make would be a Hathran.

Neutral Good Female from Rashemen, follower of Mystra.
Wizard 5/Incantatrix 2/Hathran 1/Incantatrix +8/Hathran +4

That gets full wizard casting, all the incantatrix metamagic tricks, circle magic. Since Hathran requires Leadership, make your Cohort a druid. The cohort can be a Druid 7/Hathran 1/Druid +9. The druid can then cast Acorn of Far Travel, hand the acorn to the player character. Also, druid and four followers can participate in circle magic.

Pretty sure that with the book limitations given, wizard that can spontaneously cast everything in their spellbook is probably the strongest character available. Not sure what race, but given the monster manuals available, I bet there's something with a reasonable LA that can be bought off.

killianh
2012-08-21, 01:08 AM
Given the book limitations he gave, I would say the strongest character he could make would be a Hathran.

Neutral Good Female from Rashemen, follower of Mystra.
Wizard 5/Incantatrix 2/Hathran 1/Incantatrix +8/Hathran +4

That gets full wizard casting, all the incantatrix metamagic tricks, circle magic. Since Hathran requires Leadership, make your Cohort a druid. The cohort can be a Druid 7/Hathran 1/Druid +9. The druid can then cast Acorn of Far Travel, hand the acorn to the player character. Also, druid and four followers can participate in circle magic.

Pretty sure that with the book limitations given, wizard that can spontaneously cast everything in their spellbook is probably the strongest character available. Not sure what race, but given the monster manuals available, I bet there's something with a reasonable LA that can be bought off.

I'll have to agree. For straight power an optimized wizard is almost always the best route. If there was a role for you to play (Skill monkey, tank, etc.) then there would be something else to say (though a wizard could probably do that too)