PDA

View Full Version : Crusader equipment

Invader
2012-08-20, 08:15 PM
I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to picking my starting equipment for a crusader I'll be starting this weekend. Not so much the mundane gear but gear that benefits a martial character. Starting at level 4 so 5,400gp. Any suggestions for things other than the standard things everyone takes?

deuxhero
2012-08-20, 08:26 PM
Other than ToB and core, books?

MiC in particular is important for non-standard gear that is affordable at level 4.

Invader
2012-08-20, 09:05 PM
I'm trying to decide if its worth burning a feat for the greathorn minotaur hammer. There's something really appealing about lugging around a huge hammer.

Slipperychicken
2012-08-21, 11:01 AM
I'm trying to decide if its worth burning a feat for the greathorn minotaur hammer. There's something really appealing about lugging around a huge hammer.

If you want the image of swinging a hammer around, you'll probably be better off two-handing a warhammer, and using the feat to fuel whatever melee combo you're using. To me, the greathammer doesn't justify the feat blown on EWP.

A tower shield can give you some utility. The Total Cover option can be a low-op lifesaver if you're pinned down by archers or a melee monster and can't take another round of attacks. It can also be a sled, if you ever want to surf down stairs (and come on now, who doesn't?).

Everyone benefits from bags of holding, as long as you take care to keep them out of harms way and not puncture them. If your DM is one of those bastards who describes a treasure mountain, but won't let you take multiple trips to carry the entire hoard out, this can let you carry a lot more than normal.

Gwendol
2012-08-21, 11:08 AM
Bracers of opportunity (MiC). Not sure if you plan on making this a lockdown build, but if you are these are golden. Cheap and useful straight out of the box.

Mobility is always an issue for tanks: chronocharm of the horizon walker and anklets of translocation (MiC) are also within your budget.

Finally, weapon crystals are very affordable (least version). Crystals of return for Quick Draw, or to add some energy damage can be really good.

Invader
2012-08-21, 06:05 PM
Bracers of opportunity (MiC). Not sure if you plan on making this a lockdown build, but if you are these are golden. Cheap and useful straight out of the box.

Mobility is always an issue for tanks: chronocharm of the horizon walker and anklets of translocation (MiC) are also within your budget.

Finally, weapon crystals are very affordable (least version). Crystals of return for Quick Draw, or to add some energy damage can be really good.

Ooh Anklets of translocation look great! I love find low level/cost magic items that are worth buying.

Gwendol
2012-08-21, 10:07 PM
Yeah, they are really useful. My knight and rogue both use them to great effect.

CalistonTB
2012-08-22, 08:46 AM
When you gain a few levels and some wealth, take a look the Torc of Heroic Sacrifice in the MIC. Taking someone else's hit to fill your delayed damage pool is handy, and you can use it to save the squishes from a killing blow!