PDA

View Full Version : Options for a Healer(3.5, Homebrew allowed)

Tavar
2012-08-20, 09:31 PM
I'm in a long running PbP that's essentially going through the Diablo 2 story line. Now, it's pretty lethal, and at the moment we lost our healer(changed characters), and I'm also getting a bit bored with my own character, so I thought I'd switch to a healer of some sort. Problem is, well, the game is hyper lethal. T.G. Oskar's healer fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133118) was the class used, and it's a pretty strong healer. So, are there other suggestions for what classes, home brew or otherwise, that I should look to use? We're about level 10, and using slightly more feats than normal.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-20, 09:58 PM
In another thread, a few forumers posted some options. I'll be lazy and just quote them.

What feats or abilities are there for boosting healing?

So far I've found Imbued Healing(CC), Augment Healing(CD), Magic of the Land (RotW), and Sacred Healing(PH2), and empower/quicken spell, Healing domain, Healing Touch, Combat Medic and I think Radiant Servant of Pelor prestige classes, and Spell gifted

Mastery of Day and Night (Pre-Req Maximize Spell, found in Player's Guide to Eberron)
"You can spontaneously apply the effect of the Maximize Spell metamagic feat to any cure or inflict spell you cast. Doing this has no effect on the spell's level or casting time."

Dragon Prophesier + Prophecy's Shepherd (Pre-Req Know [Arcana], found in Magic of Eberron)
"While in prophetic favor (see Dragon Prophesier), you can quicken one cure wounds or inflict wounds spell per round (see below) without any adjustment to the level of the spell. You can use this ability even on spontaneously cast spells." (Taking Prophecy's Shaper also allows you to Empower 1 spell/round while in prophetic favor).

Healer base class (Miniature's Handbook) adds Charisma bonus to all healing spells.

With every Cure spell Quickened, Empowered, and Maximized, combat healing can become decent. You also are a beast against Undead.

The Restoration Domain granted power also boosts healing, as do all general CL-boosting tricks since most healing spells have very high CL caps compared to their peers. Fireball caps out at CL 10, while its peer CSW caps out at CL 15.

The feats "Imbued Healing" and "Invigorating Spellcaster" don't increase healing done, but add a beneficial rider effect which most dedicated healer-types will approve of.

Finally, don't forget that all Healing spells are Conjuration, and thus qualify for use with "Cloudy Conjuration" as a method of adding a free bit of BC onto all your healing.

Tavar
2012-08-21, 05:33 PM
Interesting. Would like healing with other options, and not sure if I want to go Cleric.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-21, 07:39 PM
Interesting. Would like healing with other options, and not sure if I want to go Cleric.

Seemed like Cleric would be rather good if you wanted Healing with other options, assuming you weren't married to the Healer (or your Healer remix). Are you looking to pump up your Healing? Or prestige/multiclassing for your Healer? Or other classes that can do it?

Most forums are all about how a dedicated Healer is considered a wasted spot on a team, so it's a bit harder to get straight responses on optimising that.

skycycle blues
2012-08-21, 07:57 PM
Divine Metamagic Persist Cleric/Crusader/Ruby Knight Vindicator? I think the spell is Lesser Vigor that gives fast healing. You persist it and then everybody is healing all day. Crusader lets you heal friends every time you attack. And Ruby Knight lets you win the game.

Tavar
2012-08-22, 01:14 AM
Vigorous is great if you don't take too much damage in combat. There was at least one combat where the demises healer ran out of healing power, and it's ability to burst heal was key. This, is also why we need a healer type(note, this doesn't have to be an the actual healer class, just the healer role).

Also, I am very specifically not using the rewrite mentioned; I was wondering if thee were other homebrew classes that did well in healing.

Igneel
2012-08-22, 01:37 AM
Its a homebrew feat me and a few friends use in our games (which includes Tomb of Horrors/Return) and its helped to some extent. Mileage may vary.

White-robed [Reserve]
Balls of light fly from Quin's hands, bringing Moradin's blessings to his allies.
Prerequisite Ability to cast 3rd-level divine spells
Benefit As long as you have an Healing spell of 3rd level or higher available to cast, you can throw an orb of Healing as a ranged touch attack. The attack has a range of 5 feet per level of the highest-level Healing spell you have available to cast and heals 1d6 points of damage per level of that Healing spell. As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting Healing spells.

Besides that, I think there was a PrC in Eberron that allowed you to substitute a spell for a max cure/inflict, and pairing that with a invocation class I think (don't quote me on it) you can do it 24/7. So pick up one of your favorite invocation classes (whether homebrew or printed) and get busy while being able to do other things as well!

I think the Channeler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196557) (by ErrantX) is a pretty decent invocation-based healer class imho.

Tavar
2012-08-22, 03:27 PM
Eh, the problem with the Channeler is that it's great at out of combat healing, but in combat healing it's exceedingly lackluster.

Also, do note that I'm not just concerned about healing but also removing negative status effects.