PDA

View Full Version : Getting Avasculated Simultaneously.

Xoroth
2012-08-20, 09:44 PM
I imagine this might be up to the DM's discretion but what do you guys think would happen to a creature hit by two Avasculates simultaneously ala Ocular Spell or something similar?

Yorae
2012-08-20, 09:57 PM
I imagine this might be up to the DM's discretion but what do you guys think would happen to a creature hit by two Avasculates simultaneously ala Ocular Spell or something similar?

Assuming the target failed both saves? Reduced to 25% of their previous HP and stunned, I would imagine.

The other argument would be that they would both "check" the targets current HP at the same time, but I think that, by necessity, they would apply in serial.

Doxkid
2012-08-20, 10:44 PM
Since the two spell are exactly simultaneous, the reduce the target's hp to half. The second one, in effect, does nothing since both 'Reduce the Target to half its current health" and it has the same current health when both hit.

If it said "Does half the creature's current health in damage" (which is basically what it does, but with different wording) the creature would be killed outright. Instead, both spells see a target with 100 hp so both reduce the target's hp to 50.

TuggyNE
2012-08-20, 10:48 PM

I'd treat it as near-simultaneity, reducing target health to 25%. (For programmers: proper use of locking is essential to avoid race conditions!)

Logic
2012-08-20, 10:54 PM
Since the two spell are exactly simultaneous, the reduce the target's hp to half. The second one, in effect, does nothing since both 'Reduce the Target to half its current health" and it has the same current health when both hit.

If it said "Does half the creature's current health in damage" (which is basically what it does, but with different wording) the creature would be killed outright. Instead, both spells see a target with 100 hp so both reduce the target's hp to 50.

Actually, under the strictest sense of the rules, the second way would reduce a character to 0 HP, and at HP, you are disabled. (But, the character hit by both spells would have to make two separate death from massive damage saves as well.)

demigodus
2012-08-21, 01:51 PM
Actually, under the strictest sense of the rules, the second way would reduce a character to 0 HP, and at HP, you are disabled. (But, the character hit by both spells would have to make two separate death from massive damage saves as well.)

From the spell description:

"If successful, the subject is reduced to half of its current hit points (rounded down) and stunned for 1 round."

Under the strictest reading of the rules, you do a grand total of 0 damage to the target. You just set their health to some point, that is a function of their health level when they were hit. In practice, yes, they take damage, but by RAW? No, not really.

In which case being hit by two simultaneously would just mean having to make two saves vs stun, but being only taken to half your original.

Mato
2012-08-21, 02:53 PM
The target is reduced to 25% of their HP total before the action. Effects are always handled separately no matter how simultaneously it happens.

For example, say you were a Wizard / Rogue / Arcane Trickster / Lich.
Using disemboweling strike, your touch attack can paralyze, deal damage, and damage your opponent's constitution. All of which happen "at once", when you touch them, however each effect is applied separately. And in the order you choose. See also the FAQ entry on applying poison & death attack at once.