PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/PF] Your favourite spell that no one knows about

Wonton
2012-08-21, 05:27 AM
I know that over the years, I've found some really interesting and relatively obscure spells that I get the feeling most people don't know about. I'm probably not the only one in this feeling. Here's my personal favourite:

Body Blaze (Sandstorm) - Sor/Wiz 3

This lights you on fire and you leave a Wall of Fire effect behind in squares you walk through. Definitely not the most bang you can get for a 3rd level spell slot, but how cool is it to be able to draw the wall effect however you want? Combine with Swift Expeditious Retreat to be able to literally run a circle around a Medium-sized creature in the same round without provoking AoOs

. x x x .
x . . . x
x . o . x
x . . . x
. x x x .

x - wall
o - enemy
60 feet of movement
So, post away. Bonus points for surprising other experienced Playgrounders with spells they've never heard of before. Please list the source too - it's no fun if your secret spells stay secret.

Ravens_cry
2012-08-21, 05:38 AM
Is there a Prismatic Wall version?
Sonic Rainboom! ! !

limejuicepowder
2012-08-21, 05:55 AM
I like Unnatural Lust, sor/wiz 2 from pathfinder. One creature is so attracted to another (within 60ft) they can't help but move to them and attempt to hug, kiss, and rub their shoulders. Completely freakin' hilarious (especially when used on cross-species targets). Will save negates, and it's mind effecting, but still awesome.

Eldan
2012-08-21, 05:58 AM
Silverbeard is hilarious. It transforms your beard into various noble metals, giving you a natural armour bonus and a bonus on charisma checks made towards dwarves.

Wonton
2012-08-21, 06:26 AM
Make sure to name the source. After all, it's no fun if the secret spells stay secret.

I'll go again, in the meantime. Continuing the Sandstorm spells:

Whispering Sand - Druid 3, Sor/Wiz 3

Like Whispering Wind, but no range limit as long as your targets carry some sand with them. Lasts 10/min per level, standard action cast time. In other words, this is better than Sending in every way but 2 levels lower.

Bronk
2012-08-21, 07:04 AM
Hmm, don't forget that Body Blaze would be shared with your familiar as well...

God Imperror
2012-08-21, 07:11 AM
Battletide: From players guide to faerun :smallsmile:

Haste + penalties to saves, attacks and damages of enemies + free quicken to spells up to 5th level.

Yep, it is a great 5th lvl spell.

Corlindale
2012-08-21, 07:20 AM
Arcane Concordance
3rd level bard spell (PF)

This spell is a godsend for buffers. The bard casts this in the morning (or before the dungeon), and all casters in the party gets all their long-duration buffs extended for free.

katarl
2012-08-21, 07:44 AM
Beguiling Gift (Witch 1) is an unusual spell that has a notorious reputation in my group for being a level one save or die. It's a PF spell that forces a character to use whatever item you offer.

By offering a cursed item, like a necklace of strangulation, I've ended more than one encounter with a single save (or more than one, with ill omen active). Because a cursed item falls off when the enemy dies, and because cursed items are cheap, it's convenient and re-useable.

Novawurmson
2012-08-21, 08:10 AM
Forgetful Slumber (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/forgetful-slumber), a Half-Elf spell from the Advanced Race Guide.

Ravens_cry
2012-08-21, 08:28 AM
Forgetful Slumber (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/forgetful-slumber), a Half-Elf spell from the Advanced Race Guide.
Interesting . . .
Very, very interesting.:smallamused:

Novawurmson
2012-08-21, 08:35 AM
Interesting . . .
Very, very interesting.:smallamused:

I know, right? I'm making a "Slenderman" build based off this.

Kilink
2012-08-21, 08:37 AM
Open/Close

yes, seriously! It's so cool to be able to open/close doors with a flick of your hand :D

laeZ1
2012-08-21, 12:49 PM
As a DM, my favorite spell for my high-powered NPCs to have is Translocation Trick (I may be misremembering the name), basically, (will negate), they switch places with somebody, and they and the target are both illusioned to look like each other. I'm almost positve the spell comes from the Spell Compendium.

As a player, my favorite spell is storm of vengeance (frostburn?), but moreso, I like using it as a bard, you need all 10 levels of stormsinger prestige class from frostmorn to do it.

My players abuse control wind to a point I didn't think possible.

I'm of course, leaving out all of the broken spells from the quintessentials.

Snowbluff
2012-08-21, 12:51 PM
Friendly Fire.

Immediately redirect a ranged attack, or cast it for round/level ranged attack redirection. Kills Mailmen.

watchwood
2012-08-21, 01:16 PM
I saw a PF spell once where you would insult someone so hard that they physically catch on fire. Can't remember it's name offhand, but it was awesome.

Novawurmson
2012-08-21, 01:31 PM
I saw a PF spell once where you would insult someone so hard that they physically catch on fire. Can't remember it's name offhand, but it was awesome.

Blistering Retort? No, wait...Blistering Invective (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blistering)!

Urpriest
2012-08-21, 01:33 PM
It's not so obscure these days, but I can't help but love Melf's Unicorn Arrow. That spell is awesome.

Hyde
2012-08-21, 01:46 PM
In the vein of setting people on fire, I love Balor Nimbus (BoVD, iirc).

We were fighting some elves or something in a forest, and I went all tree-hugger on their asses.

They didn't really like that.

Wonton
2012-08-21, 03:51 PM
In the vein of setting people on fire, I love Balor Nimbus (BoVD, iirc).

We were fighting some elves or something in a forest, and I went all tree-hugger on their asses.

They didn't really like that.

It's from SpC. I love that spell too, mainly because it does 6d6, which is exactly the damage of the actual Balor ability of the same name. Somehow that's really cool. It's like this 2nd level spell gives you just a tiny bit of a CR 20 Balor's power.

It's not so obscure these days, but I can't help but love Melf's Unicorn Arrow. That spell is awesome.

Definitely. That spell is what Battering Ram should have been.

Blistering Retort? No, wait...Blistering Invective (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blistering)!

That is fantastic. I'm totally gonna recommend that to my Bard friend. Although, I don't know how intimidating a gnome can be.

Anyway, my turn for another spell:

Vertigo - PHB II, 2nd level

I just love that this spell forces a Balance check. If any of you are afraid of heights like me, you'll know that that's exactly what it feels like to be high up somewhere and look down - you suddenly feel off-balance and feel like swaying.

Hirax
2012-08-21, 03:58 PM
Binding chain of fate from Waterdeep. For rounds/level the target is AMFed, dimensionally anchored, cannot change forms, and takes 2d6 force damage per round.

Tyndmyr
2012-08-21, 04:04 PM
Teleport Through Time.

Novawurmson
2012-08-21, 04:15 PM
Another: Ice Crystal Teleport (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/ice-crystal-teleport). I want to use this on my players as a trap; the people who fail are paralyzed and about to be teleported to Somewhere Bad while the rest of the party frantically tries to chip away the ice in time while Something Bad slithers out of the darkness...

eggs
2012-08-21, 04:35 PM
Dampen Magic is in Complete Champion, so I'm sure people know about it, but I've never seen anyone beside myself bring it up. It's a level 4 spell that lets a Cleric toss a nice little defensive effect onto an ally, but the interesting bit is that it lets the ally activate an AMF on themselves at any time. The duration is short, but it doesn't take much work to get around that.

The interesting bits are: Not a terrible base effect; it can turn into an AMF as a non-action at any time (so after the Barbarian moves into melee range and before it engages its grapple, or after the evil wizard starts casting a spell); AMF that can be cast on somebody else; AMF from a level 4 spell slot; and Harmless save (ie. War Weaver-legal for any WW with Cleric spell access).

Ravens_cry
2012-08-21, 04:41 PM
Another: Ice Crystal Teleport (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/ice-crystal-teleport). I want to use this on my players as a trap; the people who fail are paralyzed and about to be teleported to Somewhere Bad while the rest of the party frantically tries to chip away the ice in time while Something Bad slithers out of the darkness...
Just remember, now that you've used the spell, there's no reason the player's can't also. Being one of the very few cases of unwilling long range teleportation, it is very, very potentially dangerous to the integrity of a campaign.

Kazyan
2012-08-21, 05:24 PM
Boreal Wind. Some mediocre no-save damage, until you realize that it lasts for basically the whole battle, damages every round, and you get to shove enemies around. you can angle its crazy-long blast range however you want as a move action, and there's nothing preventing you from stacking these things on top of each other.

Malroth
2012-08-21, 06:00 PM
Illusionary Script, unlimited use of the same suggestion for 1 day/lv and available even with enchantment banned,

Roguenewb
2012-08-21, 06:09 PM
It's not super secret, but Ice Lance is super awesome. 6d6 damage for a standard action (not bad as a crossbow replacement at high levels, and solid damage at low levels). If your Fort Save DC is decent, you get a multiround stun, at third level! My Snowcasting-Energy Aura combo sorcerer (level 12) uses it as his main weapon. It helps that his saves are 23+spell level :rolleyes:

Karoht
2012-08-21, 06:16 PM
Aqueous Orb-Conjuration Effect-Druid/Sorc/Wizard. Reflex save to avoid, no SR. I think it's 4 for the Druid and 3 for everyone else.
Spoilered for length.

You roll this ball at creatures as a move action, if they fail a Reflex they are picked up and move with the ball. Lasts for rounds per level, can pick up 4 medium or 1 large creature. I don't believe they can cast while trapped either, and what casters have good Reflex saves at the level when this is relevant?
Lots of great potential uses.
What's that? Someone managed to walk out of your Sleetstorm? Roll them back in. Someone managed to break out of an Entangle/Web? Roll them back in. There's traps down that hallway? Roll the badguys down there!
You put out some Caltrops and cast Spike Growth? Roll the badguys over that spot repeatedly. I call it "The Tenderizer"
What's that? Someone decided to Dimension Door out of your Sleetstorm? Screw it. Cast Create Pit as a standard action (under someone else), use your move action to pick up the guy, roll him into the pit as well as the chump who just fell in when you cast it.
What's that? You have a Dungeon Crasher Barbarian with an awesome Bullrush? Roll up some enemies, put them in a corner.
I call it "Eight-Ball Corner Pocket"
You're Animal Companion is bored? Roll some enemies over to him/her.

Oh, it can jump too. Not super high, but it can do it. Or you can cast it over flying enemies and watch them fall to their watery deaths if they fail their reflex save.

It can also pick up party members (especially unconscious ones) and move them away from harm or to more strategic locations.

I think you can have two of these out, control one with your move action and one with your standard, but don't quote me on that. It's an amazing augmentation to your existing battlefield control.

Blessing of Fervor-Cleric 4
Every round, each party member affected by Blessing of Fervor can choose from one of the following effects. Party members can choose a new effect every round.
-Gain an Extra Attack as part of a Full Attack
-Stand up quickly without provoking an AoO.
-Free Metamagic applied to second level spells, see spell for which metamagic, but i think it's Silent, Still, Extend, and... I always forget the last one.
-Gain +2 Attack/AC.

If the party already has Haste, they can still chose an effect other than the Extra Attack as the two (sadly) do not stack. Very helpful against tripping, free extend on second level spells isn't too shabby, or just a flat buff.

Togo
2012-08-21, 06:23 PM
Two spells I have a soft spot for, although I doubt they really count as secret...

Harmonise, greater - races of stone. Allows you start bardsong as a move action. Brilliant when combined with swift action bardsong feats or class abilities and two-for one bardsong abilities to give spell+bardsong+bardsong+swift bardsong in a single round.

Flashflood - sandstorm Only medicore damage, but it lasts for a whole round. Most creatures will be unable to usefully act for that time. Great for giving the party time to prepare or flee.

Scorpina
2012-08-21, 06:24 PM
I like Unnatural Lust, sor/wiz 2 from pathfinder. One creature is so attracted to another (within 60ft) they can't help but move to them and attempt to hug, kiss, and rub their shoulders. Completely freakin' hilarious (especially when used on cross-species targets). Will save negates, and it's mind effecting, but still awesome.

I was just coming into the thread to post about this one myself. One of my groups' player characters is a Wizard who goes to some pretty wild parties. She has fun with this spell.

Karoht
2012-08-21, 06:37 PM
I was just coming into the thread to post about this one myself. One of my groups' player characters is a Wizard who goes to some pretty wild parties. She has fun with this spell.
Quote from the last time someone in my party used this.

"Well sweetie, when a mommy wizard... and a mommy wizard... and an orc... and a table... love each other very much..."

Slii Arhem
2012-08-21, 06:48 PM
Silverbeard is hilarious. It transforms your beard into various noble metals, giving you a natural armour bonus and a bonus on charisma checks made towards dwarves.

You forget that if the character in question has no beard (because they're a womanly elf, or an elfy woman) it straight up grows one for them. Even the female elf paladins don't miss out on this diplomacy checks!

A few of my personal favorites in 3.5 are

Updraft: (from the Spell Compendium) since it allows you to shoot up quite a distance and acts as a first level answer to flight if you need it for puzzle solving rather than in-combat use.

Conjure Ice Beast (from Frostburn) is a massively powerful version of Summon Monster/Summon Nature's Ally, as it gets you access to construct versions of both lists, minus anything with a fire subtype. Said constructs have nifty special abilities such as AoE 1d6 per round cold auras, giant boosts in HP from their type.

Obscuring Snow/Snowsight used in combination (also from Frostburn, what a shock!) It's an hour/level combination that obscures everything like a fog cloud spell, and follows you around rather than stays where you cast it. Great for a rather obvious smokescreen effect, as it almost certainly won't prevent you being tracked, but it's going to stop scrying from seeing you at low levels, and keep random encounters at a disadvantage. If you can't afford to be a cleric with the winter domain, deeper darkness and ebon eyes generates largely the same effect, but marginally less powerful.

And just to mix things up, Dark Way (Spell Compendium) is a great way of equalizing things before a fight, since it creates a span between two points like Web, and although it's meant to be used as a bridge, it says in the description it can be tilted to any angle, which means it can be strung up between walls and used as cover. Add to that the odd nature of the requirements for breaking it and you have a low, second level Wall of Force equivalent. You could also use it to make a ledge above the fray for your ranged party members to stand on out of harm's way.

Wonton
2012-08-21, 06:57 PM
Ice Lance

The thing that virtually everyone forgets about this spell is that it specifies that it's not a touch attack - it's a normal ranged attack with an additional +4 bonus. Of course, that only makes it better against squishy casters and rogues (who are also conveniently the ones with the low Fort save that this spell targets), but it's still something to keep in mind.

Boreal Wind

From Frostburn? Are we reading the same spell? It says "Fortitude negates", which I'm pretty sure means a save would also negate the damage. Otherwise it would be "Fortitude partial".

Aqueous Orb.

Sounds cool. Source?

Obscuring Snow/Snowsight used in combination

Ah, so THAT'S how you use that spell. I remember reading it and thinking "wait, doesn't that just mean you're effectively blinded
for 1 hour/level?". But Snowsight makes it pretty cool, especially since it has the same duration.

Medic!
2012-08-21, 06:57 PM
+1 on Dark Way, one of my favorite spells ever (also great for setting monster traps, or negating terrain obstacles like ice!)

My favorite spell of all time will always be Morality Undone from BoVD because it saved my lvl 12 Cleric of Hextor's life when he was trapped in a throneroom of the Order of the Holy Flame's stronghold facing off against a lvl 20 paladin (the order's leader) and a flock of his lvl 8-10 goodie-two-shoes buddies.

One failed save and he obliterated his allies for intruding on our 1 on 1 fight, losing his paladin-hood and leaving him just weakened enough for me and my evil wizard buddy to turn him into a grease stain.

deuxhero
2012-08-21, 07:40 PM
Beguiling Gift (Witch 1) is an unusual spell that has a notorious reputation in my group for being a level one save or die. It's a PF spell that forces a character to use whatever item you offer.

By offering a cursed item, like a necklace of strangulation, I've ended more than one encounter with a single save (or more than one, with ill omen active). Because a cursed item falls off when the enemy dies, and because cursed items are cheap, it's convenient and re-useable.

Holy Arrow quiver is also Fun.

kardar233
2012-08-21, 07:53 PM
Aqueous Orb-Conjuration Effect-Druid/Sorc/Wizard. Reflex save to avoid, no SR. I think it's 4 for the Druid and 3 for everyone else.
Spoilered for length.

You roll this ball at creatures as a move action, if they fail a Reflex they are picked up and move with the ball. Lasts for rounds per level, can pick up 4 medium or 1 large creature. I don't believe they can cast while trapped either, and what casters have good Reflex saves at the level when this is relevant?
Lots of great potential uses.
What's that? Someone managed to walk out of your Sleetstorm? Roll them back in. Someone managed to break out of an Entangle/Web? Roll them back in. There's traps down that hallway? Roll the badguys down there!
You put out some Caltrops and cast Spike Growth? Roll the badguys over that spot repeatedly. I call it "The Tenderizer"
What's that? Someone decided to Dimension Door out of your Sleetstorm? Screw it. Cast Create Pit as a standard action (under someone else), use your move action to pick up the guy, roll him into the pit as well as the chump who just fell in when you cast it.
What's that? You have a Dungeon Crasher Barbarian with an awesome Bullrush? Roll up some enemies, put them in a corner.
I call it "Eight-Ball Corner Pocket"
You're Animal Companion is bored? Roll some enemies over to him/her.

Oh, it can jump too. Not super high, but it can do it. Or you can cast it over flying enemies and watch them fall to their watery deaths if they fail their reflex save.

It can also pick up party members (especially unconscious ones) and move them away from harm or to more strategic locations.

I think you can have two of these out, control one with your move action and one with your standard, but don't quote me on that. It's an amazing augmentation to your existing battlefield control.

That's.... playing Katamari Damacy with your enemies. I have to use this spell now.

Karoht
2012-08-21, 08:07 PM
Aqueous Orb is Pathfinder. APG I think? Just check www.d20pfsrd.com

Slii Arhem
2012-08-21, 08:15 PM

This lights you on fire and you leave a Wall of Fire effect behind in squares you walk through. Definitely not the most bang you can get for a 3rd level spell slot, but how cool is it to be able to draw the wall effect however you want? Combine with Swift Expeditious Retreat to be able to literally run a circle around a Medium-sized creature in the same round without provoking AoOs.

Oh, I took another look at this post, and I'm not sure if it's the same spell, but I'm fairly certain this spell is also responsible for one of the most flattering pictures of Mialee ever in print.

I know what your thinking. Flattering, Mialee? He must be out of his gob. But no, I have evidence! Brace yourselves for Mialee at her best.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x426/SliiHerma/Mialeeonfire.png

On FIRE!

Roguenewb
2012-08-21, 08:20 PM
Mialee is never a super hot lady. Except there.

I know Icelance is a normal attack, but I should mention that my sorcerers are almost always at least partially gishy. That guy is a Sorcadin who doesn't really melee, but still has a semi-decent BAB and can afford to use touch attacks cause his AC is good, and his hit points are far more solid.

Wonton
2012-08-21, 08:23 PM
Oh God, that picture looks so terrible. ಠ_ಠ

The actual Body Blaze picture is on page 113 of Sandstorm. It's much cooler, the guy is holding a whip and has strange goggles.

Dayaz
2012-08-21, 08:44 PM
I had a friend play a Wu Jen/Wizard in a campaign not long after my Complete Arcane made it to our table. We had a blast with this spell.

Snake Darts (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-arcane--55/snake-darts--565/). You turn 2 tattoos of snakes on yourself into actual snakes, that fly at your opponent and always hit, do decent damage at 3d6 each, and then each of them gives a Con damage poison. This spell can also be used against 1 OR 2 people, spreading the love around. This spell can also be learned by Wizards (their ability to learn every arcane spell from scrolls is broken).

After they hit, they fly back to you... to use the spell again, you have to swallow the snakes. The tattoos reappear, and swallowing them is a standard action that doesn't provoke AoO.

drack
2012-08-21, 09:15 PM
Well I'll add this grouping for fun, after all there's nothing like tripping your opponents up :smalltongue: All from PHBII
Hesitate, Alter fortune, stifle spell in that order, and yes they're all immediate actions. Hesitate involves you putting them down and gloating about your superiority until they are filled with misgivings and can only take one move action/turn. Of course they get a save every turn or rounds/level, but hay it's still fun. Next is alter fortune. Hay, I like rerolling, you like your enemies rerolling, it's win win. :smallbiggrin: Stifle spell is the least of them, but hay detracting a spellcaster and that's hardly new, but nothing says got-ya like using an mediate action to poke fun at the enemy wizard and have him fumble his or her spell.

Then to mix it up I guess I'll toss in one I love simply because everyone hates it. Soul's Treasure Lost. Generally I ban BoVD from my games because there's too much that can be easily broken, but I'm sure someone will be able to make good enemies with this. :smallbiggrin: Shaking your fist and speaking angry words with the material component of one crushed ruby worth 500gold you destrroy the most valuble object in the character's posession short of an artifact. At higher levels nothing sets a character off like loosing the item that they dumped half their funds into. I was going to use it to set someone off rampaging, or make them brokenhearted (I was a player at the time), but unfortunately I noticed that that game wasn't using BoVD either... :smallsigh: Anywho level 8 spell

Urpriest
2012-08-21, 09:17 PM
I had a friend play a Wu Jen/Wizard in a campaign not long after my Complete Arcane made it to our table. We had a blast with this spell.

Snake Darts (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-arcane--55/snake-darts--565/). You turn 2 tattoos of snakes on yourself into actual snakes, that fly at your opponent and always hit, do decent damage at 3d6 each, and then each of them gives a Con damage poison. This spell can also be used against 1 OR 2 people, spreading the love around. This spell can also be learned by Wizards (their ability to learn every arcane spell from scrolls is broken).

After they hit, they fly back to you... to use the spell again, you have to swallow the snakes. The tattoos reappear, and swallowing them is a standard action that doesn't provoke AoO.

That...simply isn't remotely true. Wizards can learn Sorc/Wiz spells from scrolls. They can't even learn Sorc only spells, let alone Wu Jen spells.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-21, 09:19 PM
I actually love many of the Metal Wu Jen spells, common who doesn't want to use your scarf to decapitate someone? (Decapitating Scarf...level 7 save or die without the [Death] tag) a bit underwhelming; but the mental image is awesome.m

Dayaz
2012-08-21, 09:43 PM
That...simply isn't remotely true. Wizards can learn Sorc/Wiz spells from scrolls. They can't even learn Sorc only spells, let alone Wu Jen spells.

...*goes to mutilate friend for giving bad info* sorry, my friends usually play the casters in our groups... they have all our books at their house, so I never really have time to build a spell list, so I usually play a melee, and the best I ever have time is a couple Gish types... Although I've already warned them of my intent to play a God Wizard or a Supernova next time they make me roll a new sheet.

Kazyan
2012-08-21, 09:54 PM
From Frostburn? Are we reading the same spell? It says "Fortitude negates", which I'm pretty sure means a save would also negate the damage. Otherwise it would be "Fortitude partial".

*checks*

So it does. I can't do reading comprehension, apparently.

kardar233
2012-08-21, 10:06 PM
Oh, I took another look at this post, and I'm not sure if it's the same spell, but I'm fairly certain this spell is also responsible for one of the most flattering pictures of Mialee ever in print.

I know what your thinking. Flattering, Mialee? He must be out of his gob. But no, I have evidence! Brace yourselves for Mialee at her best.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x426/SliiHerma/Mialeeonfire.png

On FIRE!

That's actually for Firestride Exhalation (Dragon Magic, p. 67). You breathe a cone for 8d6 fire, and teleport to anywhere within the area of effect. Another favourite of mine.

Wonton
2012-08-22, 02:34 AM
Okay, one more:

Blockade (Complete Scoundrel) Drd 1, Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 1

Summons a 5x5x5 block of wood for 3 rounds as a Swift action. That's it. :smallbiggrin:

I love this spell for two reasons. First, swift action spells are good for action economy and there's very few good ones early on. Second, it can actually be surprisingly effective battlefield control in cramped dungeons - either completely sealing off a passageway or at least making it so enemies have to filter it one at a time.

LordotheMorning
2012-08-22, 05:35 AM
Flame Whips from SC must be fairly well known, but I never hear anyone talk about it and I love it all the same. Completely own things with touch attacks and essentially use twf to do it.

Other than that, there's Power Word Pain. I used this to start a campaign as a sorcerer. Guaranteed 1d6 damage that lasts somewhere between 1 and 12 rounds. Amazing for level one, at least at low levels. I spent my entire level 1-3 shouting "Kree!" (which was the word I made up to be the actual utterance of Power Word Pain) at things and making them die. It become common language around the table to say "You Kree him?" "Yes I Kree him." "Oh, Zadkiel Kree'd him, let's focus on another target."

peacenlove
2012-08-22, 05:42 AM
Black labyrinth and Quicker than the eye for shadowcaster (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a)

Drop the first into the center of a large town.
Watch the DM freak as he is forced to make 10000+ rolls / round (poor people they can't even find and reach their kitchen!! If they find their food or door they have 50% of not touching it if you are liberal enough :smallwink:)
??
Lament as a T4 class gets banned for eternity.
Extra points if you make it a supernatural ability (thus undispellable) via favored spell feats.

CigarPete
2012-08-22, 08:19 AM
Lightning Leap from Complete Mage - Cast a lightning bolt and ride along to the end of it, non-AoO provoking movement and damage all in one neat package.

Slii Arhem
2012-08-22, 09:02 AM
I forgot to mention that Updraft is a swift action, which means besides upward movement utility, it also serves as a nice way of getting out of a combat situation if there's a nearby ledge you can vault to.

Let's see what else I can dredge up... How about nearly anything with a Conjuration (Creation) focused Cleric? Most of the spells I've mentioned benefit heavily from having two domains with a bonus to CL on Creation spells, but I think the one that benefits the most spectacularly is Cometfall (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-divine--56/cometfall--644/) from Complete Divine. It may not be the best utility damage spell by a long shot, but when you drop a hunk of ice down on your foe from the heavens he'll know you've got his number.

As you can tell, I've got a bit of a thing for ice-based clerics.

But there is one not-exactly-obscure spell that I never see on people's spell lists that isn't ice or conjuration focused, yet I've been salivating over the idea of using for a long time now. Blistering Radiance (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-arcane--55/blistering-radiance--491/) may look harmless compared to the litany of nuke spells out there, but a few things stand out. First is its radius, at 50ft it's one of the wider area damagers out there. Secondly, it does 2d6 per round at 1 round per level, so even at base it's doing double your level in d6's if you can corral your enemies into it.

And after those two points, it gets a bit more esoteric. The last few things you'd note is that it's a light and fire spell, and that while clerics get it a bit later than wizards (who have much better nukes to worry about anyway) it's something they can take. Now, when you introduce the Radiant Servant of Pelor PrC into this equation, you've just doubled the radius of this very harmful light spell to 100ft with the first ability that class gets, potentially a full two levels before you even get the spell.

And it only gets better. If you've got the feats to spend on metamagic, Blistering Spell (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-handbook-ii--80/blistering-spell--229/) (how aptly named is that?) adds another 10 damage per round to it for a mere 1 spell slot higher, as well as knocking 2 attack off of anyone who fails to save against the damage. Extend spell's effect is obvious, double your money for little cost there, and finally Lingering Spell (http://dndtools.eu/feats/champions-of-ruin--27/lingering-spell--1778/) ensures that it does even more damage, to the tune of 3d6+20 per round on those that remain within for more than one round.

Now I ask you, is there anything more satisfying than utterly decimating an army with Pelor's Burning Hate?

Amphetryon
2012-08-22, 09:25 AM
I rather like Ironthunder Horn, from the Spell Compendium. "I make the noise that makes people fall down."

More obscure is Cry of Ysgard, from Book of Exalted Deeds. It's 7th level, but provides 4 CR 9 Outsiders as companions for a year. Unless my reading is faulty, they even come with their own magic items.

drack
2012-08-22, 09:36 AM
More obscure is Cry of Ysgard, from Book of Exalted Deeds. It's 7th level, but provides 4 CR 9 Outsiders as companions for a year. Unless my reading is faulty, they even come with their own magic items.

Though I feel I should point out that it doesn't stack with it's self just in case people are getting ideas... :smallwink:

Amphetryon
2012-08-22, 09:39 AM
Though I feel I should point out that it doesn't stack with it's self just in case people are getting ideas... :smallwink:

Sort of. It gets you 2d4 of the companions, but never more than 4 (which is hilarious in itself; you call 8 of them, 4 immediately say "I can see I'm not needed" and vanish).

drack
2012-08-22, 09:43 AM
One spell that's not worth maximizing. :smalltongue:

laeZ1
2012-08-22, 09:49 AM
I just thought of another. Energy transformation field. I think it's out of the Spell Compendium. You cast it, and choose a spell, let's use fireball in this example. Now, in this 40ft area, all magic that would be cast is instead absorbed by the field and spent towards casting fireball. Let's say somebody tries to cast fabrication (level 5 spell) while in the field. Since fabrication is level 5 and fireball is level 3, the field activates and casts fireball, targeting the nearest aplicable target. If somebody then attempts to cast charm person (level 1 spell), it would cast another fireball, as the field has absorbed five levels worth of spells, spent three, (leaving two remaining), and recieved one more. Just enough for another FIREBALL!

Of course, the energy transformation field can be used for things that make more sense to cast a bajillion times/day, like animate dead.

Slii Arhem
2012-08-22, 09:58 AM
I just thought of another. Energy transformation field. I think it's out of the Spell Compendium. You cast it, and choose a spell, let's use fireball in this example. Now, in this 40ft area, all magic that would be cast is instead absorbed by the field and spent towards casting fireball. Let's say somebody tries to cast fabrication (level 5 spell) while in the field. Since fabrication is level 5 and fireball is level 3, the field activates and casts fireball, targeting the nearest aplicable target. If somebody then attempts to cast charm person (level 1 spell), it would cast another fireball, as the field has absorbed five levels worth of spells, spent three, (leaving two remaining), and recieved one more. Just enough for another FIREBALL!

Of course, the energy transformation field can be used for things that make more sense to cast a bajillion times/day, like animate dead.

Oh that is just a treat. You could have someone activating an at will magic item all day long to power this thing. Suddenly, it turns into magical bombardment of the Nth degree, Heck, some magic items can be activated as a free action (such as my personal favorites, the Gloves of Endless Javelins from MIC which are CL 5) which would mean an endless store of spell levels accumulated over a single round from which to cast some nice, nasty doomspells.

Eldan
2012-08-22, 10:03 AM
... and finally Lingering Spell (http://dndtools.eu/feats/champions-of-ruin--27/lingering-spell--1778/) ensures that it does even more damage, to the tune of 3d6+20 per round on those that remain within for more than one round.

Sadly, this part doesn't work. Lingering spell can only be used on instantaneous spells, while Blistering Radiance has a duration.

Slii Arhem
2012-08-22, 10:11 AM
Sadly, this part doesn't work. Lingering spell can only be used on instantaneous spells, while Blistering Radiance has a duration.

Well that knocks off quite a bit of damage. Searing Spell is a nice substitute for it though, as it removes the chance of fire resistant enemies avoiding the scorched earth for the same cost as Lingering.

Eldan
2012-08-22, 10:12 AM
Yeah. Searing spell should be put on every fire spell anyway, resistance and immunity to fire are far too common otherwise.

Karoht
2012-08-22, 04:56 PM
I'm a big fan of Flaming Sphere, Ball Lightning, Aqueous Orb, and Spiritual Weapon. Pretty much any spell where it does something on your move action while you still have your standard to cast. Good action economy, and typically very efficient damage. Yes, I know Summons are better, but I can't play Katamari with a summoned monster the way I can with Aqueous Orb.

Wall of Stone + Lyre of Building is a combo that gets silly in a hurry. Cast Wall of Stone, someone in the party (like a Bard maybe) plays for one action with the Lyre, the Wall of Stone is now 100% Indestructable.

I like certain uses of certain spells. Hold Person VS any flyer who's means of flight is non-magical. They fall to the ground like a stone because they can't move their wings. And at the level where such trickery is useful, it typically means insta-death to anything that fails the Will Save for Hold Person.

There is a Pathfinder spell, I can't remember the name for the life of me. But it is an amazing lockdown spell if I'm reading it right.
It lasts for rounds per level. If you fail the will save, you take no action other than to punch yourself in the face for a round, if you make the save you stand there crying your eyes out and can take no action. New save every round. It's a 5th level or 4th level Divine spell, we decided to house rule it out of existance until we have a better grasp of how it works.

But pretend for a moment that there was a mass version of this spell?
"I'm sorry your Highness, we lost the battle." *hangs head in shame*
"What? How?" *much rage*
"Well, you see, we don't really understand that ourselves. We were all set to attack, when this Cleric landed in front of us, insulted us mercilessly, and the men just proceeded to either cry their eyes out or punch themselves into unconsciousness."
"Wha... bwah... Well, what did he say exactly?"
"I'm not sure sure. The last words I rememeber were in reference... *sob* to my mother smelling of elderberries." *sniff*

jmelesky
2012-08-22, 06:54 PM
There is a Pathfinder spell, I can't remember the name for the life of me. But it is an amazing lockdown spell if I'm reading it right....

Sounds like Terrible Remorse (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/terrible-remorse), though if you make your save, you're just staggered for a round, and then get out of the effect.

Karoht
2012-08-22, 07:50 PM
Sounds like Terrible Remorse (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/terrible-remorse), though if you make your save, you're just staggered for a round, and then get out of the effect.

I think that's the one. To clarify, the entire table was unsure of how that effect worked, not just the DM.

mattie_p
2012-08-22, 08:02 PM

That's.... playing Katamari Damacy with your enemies. I have to use this spell now.

Let me roll up a wiz now. The king of all cosmos is back!

Karoht
2012-08-22, 09:13 PM
Let me roll up a wiz now. The king of all cosmos is back!
*High Five's the King of All Cosmos*
If there were some shenanigans which could be applied to the spell, such as making it able to pick up yet more people, or larger creatures than large, or make the Orb able to fly, I would be all over that like the King of All Cosmos on planet Earth.
I totally recommend Spell Focus: Conjuration. Increase the save DC.
Which helps as most of the better battlefield control spells are also Conjuration. Grease, Glitterdust, Stinking Cloud, Sleetstorm, Create Pit, all but Glitterdust combo up very well with Aqueous Orb if used correctly. Enjoy.

Qwertystop
2012-08-22, 09:59 PM
That spell that creates a tornado made of piranhas made of force.

Bard for Kicks
2012-08-22, 10:25 PM
Easy Math: When you start having to use some intense counting, yell out "EASY MATH" so your DM or local math gnome (agitated roommate) has to do the counting for you. Saves your lazy bum from doing, god forbid, actual work while playing an RPG. :smallamused: (spell compendium, possibly)

TuggyNE
2012-08-23, 12:32 AM
That spell that creates a tornado made of piranhas made of force.

Vortex of Teeth it means, precious.

No I don't know why I'm talking in a Gollum manner.

Karoht
2012-08-23, 05:06 AM
Debilitating Portent. Deal half damage for a while, sucker. What's that? You rolled a crit? Yeah, no, still deal half your normal damage.

Jolting Portent. You wanna hit my friend? Nah, eat some electricity damage. What's that? You rolled a crit? Yeah, no, normal damage, oh, and you're Dazed right after that hit is resolved.

Bestow Grace of the Champion.
You sir. Yes you, the pasty faced guy who looks like he's seen about as much action as a rock. You know what you could use? 10 levels of paladin. Bam! There you go. Go Lay on Hands, Channel, and Smite a bunch of stuff. Have fun! Enjoy the improved saves!

Force Punch
If you've ever played Super Smash, I have 2 words for you.
Falcon PUNCH!
Force Damage and a wicked knockback.
Turn yourself into an Earth elemental with Elemental Body.
Go underground, punch someone from underneath them with this spell.

laeZ1
2012-08-23, 09:47 AM
Bestow Grace of the Champion.
You sir. Yes you, the pasty faced guy who looks like he's seen about as much action as a rock. You know what you could use? 10 levels of paladin. Bam! There you go. Go Lay on Hands, Channel, and Smite a bunch of stuff. Have fun! Enjoy the improved saves!

What's this from?

eggs
2012-08-23, 11:27 AM
Copy+Google+first link says it's from Ultimate Magic.

Roguenewb
2012-08-23, 01:06 PM
Ah, copy+google+top of page. It's like the Discern Location of real life.

A spell I love: Sepia Snake Sigil, a hard to trigger reflex save or die. I love using it against wizards "I got you an awesome scroll! Oops, youre trapped in time"

Scorpina
2012-08-23, 03:31 PM
Vortex of Teeth it means, precious.

No I don't know why I'm talking in a Gollum manner.

Ooh, yes. I like that one.

I have a lot of fondness for a lot of the 'Far Corners of the World' spells.

In addition to Vortex of Teeth, I like Jungle's Rapture, Splinterbolt, Acorn of Far Travel, Ghost Storm and Giant's Wrath.

Oh, and Summon Blood Elemental is another fun spell from the old WotC site.

Ravens_cry
2012-08-23, 03:36 PM
Copy+Google+first link says it's from Ultimate Magic.
Wow, and considering that is a PATHFINDER Paladin we are talking about here . . .
That's pretty fricken awesome.

Alabenson
2012-08-23, 11:10 PM
One of my favorites has always been Radiant Assault from Spell Compendium. Yes, the damage is poor for a 7th level spell, until you factor in that a) it's untyped, so there are no resistances or immunities to worry about beyond SR and b) on a failed save it dazes everyone it effects for 1d6 rounds. I've rendered whole encounters moot with this spell on multiple occasions.

I'm also a fan of Stone Sphere, also from the Spell Compendium, mostly because I can cast it and then chase enemies while singing the Indiana Jones theme.

Karoht
2012-08-23, 11:52 PM
Wow, and considering that is a PATHFINDER Paladin we are talking about here . . .
That's pretty fricken awesome.
Extra fun on an Oracle with a nice high Charisma. Half my caster level in Paladin Levels and scaling class features, in return for a 7th(?) level spell slot? Sure, why not.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-24, 12:10 AM
I actually love many of the Metal Wu Jen spells, common who doesn't want to use your scarf to decapitate someone? (Decapitating Scarf...level 7 save or die without the [Death] tag) a bit underwhelming; but the mental image is awesome.

A lot of Wu Jen spells are like this, unfortunately. Their names and concepts are all brilliant, but in execution... they often disappoint.

Black labyrinth and Quicker than the eye for shadowcaster (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a)

Drop the first into the center of a large town.
Watch the DM freak as he is forced to make 10000+ rolls / round (poor people they can't even find and reach their kitchen!! If they find their food or door they have 50% of not touching it if you are liberal enough :smallwink:)
??
Lament as a T4 class gets banned for eternity.
Extra points if you make it a supernatural ability (thus undispellable) via favored spell feats.

It's not possible pre-epic. You can make it an SLA at 18th level, mind you, but to make it (Su), you'd need another feat, and I don't believe that the bonus path feats count Favored Mytery as an applicable bonus feat.

Ravens_cry
2012-08-24, 02:29 AM
Extra fun on an Oracle with a nice high Charisma. Half my caster level in Paladin Levels and scaling class features, in return for a 7th(?) level spell slot? Sure, why not.
If my oracle was in any way built for battle and I was lawful good, I'd so take it.
Hmm, if I got it as a scroll, that counts for emulating an alignment with a Use Magic Device check, and my use magic device check is, well, pretty high, as I've got some magic items, as well as all mundane boosters. +9 to saving throws? +9 to AC when smiting?
Excuse me, my keyboard is shorting out.
Forbid action and Murderous Command are fun to use on low will save beasts.
Stop them from attacking you and your buddies, or have them attack their buddies. With an Oracle, you can spam those spells so much.
It was the only thing that saved us when we ran into a bunch of giants.

Paul H
2012-08-24, 11:31 AM
Hi

Favourite spell? Simple:

Pathfinder Ult Magic Frostbite

You get 1 attack/CL
Does D6+CL Cold Subdual Dam (no Save)
Auto Fatigues (No save)

No max Dam/CL

And it's on the Magus' spell list!

Eg. Magus 6th lvl, casts in in battle, so gets 6 attacks (one per round), Does D6+6 Cold Subdual & auto fatigues (no save).

Other than that, has to be Colour Spray by an Oracle of the Heavens. They get a Revelation that allows you to reduce the effective HD of the targets by your cha mod. (So Cha 18 Oracle can treat 6HD victims as 2HD).

Both are 1st Lvl spells.

Strangely - my Magus in PFS has the former, my Aasimar Oracle of Heavens (Adv Player Guide) the latter!

Thanks
Paul H

subject42
2012-08-24, 02:07 PM
I'm a big fan of Blood Crow Strike. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blood-crow-strike)

It seems pretty subpar until you realize just how poorly it's written. The target isn't "self"; it's "one creature", and the effect is instantaneous.

With a literal reading, once you cast this on the target, you can punch them from anywhere.

Forever.

One day I intend to make a permanently reduced gnome cleric that casts this, then plane shifts and does 1 point of damage per round, 16 hours a day, for a few straight weeks.

laeZ1
2012-08-24, 02:58 PM
Freedom of Movement. I hear there's profit to be made with it.

Ashtagon
2012-08-24, 03:03 PM
I'm a big fan of Blood Crow Strike. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blood-crow-strike)

It seems pretty subpar until you realize just how poorly it's written. The target isn't "self"; it's "one creature", and the effect is instantaneous.

With a literal reading, once you cast this on the target, you can punch them from anywhere.

Forever.

One day I intend to make a permanently reduced gnome cleric that casts this, then plane shifts and does 1 point of damage per round, 16 hours a day, for a few straight weeks.

Forever? It has an instantaneous duration. The way I read it, when the spell is cast, you make unarmed attacks against the target creature, and that's the whole spell. Seems kind of blah really.

Ravens_cry
2012-08-24, 03:09 PM
Forever? It has an instantaneous duration. The way I read it, when the spell is cast, you make unarmed attacks against the target creature, and that's the whole spell. Seems kind of blah really.
It's a monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/qinggong-monk) spell. Even the picture is of the iconic monk. And yes, by my reading it's rather meh. You are not even hitting touch.

subject42
2012-08-24, 03:43 PM
It's a monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/qinggong-monk) spell. Even the picture is of the iconic monk. And yes, by my reading it's rather meh. You are not even hitting touch.

Oddly though, it doesn't have a "as part of a melee attack" clause that most spells like that have.

Karoht
2012-08-24, 04:17 PM
Forever.
It's basically designed to let Monks use Flurry of Blows from across the street. Or hit flyers. Or whatever really.
It's kind of fun actually, the few times that it has been useful. Excellent candidate for a Wand.

Hyde
2012-08-24, 04:40 PM
Blood Crow strike has a casting time of one round, and a duration of instantaneous, with an effect of "you may make unarmed attacks or whatever against the target, etc". It doesn't really specify that those attacks are part of the spell, or really how the spell behaves at all.

As worded, I could see a case made that the caster could attack the target basically forever, at any range.

Not a good case, but a case nonetheless.

Also, why specify negative energy if it's not a kind of negative energy that heals undead? Is it a kind that hurts them? do they just ignore it?

Man, this spell is wonky.

Karoht
2012-08-24, 04:48 PM
Man, this spell is wonky.It wouldn't be a Wizards of the Coast product if you didn't say that at least a few times per book.
Admittedly, my group had to go with RAI (or rather, RAAI Rules As Assumed to be Intended), on that spell to.

It's funny because if the party sees flying enemies, they typically reach for the nearest ranged attack they can. Wizard readies a spell, Cleric readies a spell, Ranger readies a bow. Halfling Rogue might bust out a sling. Warrior likely readies a bow or crossbow.
Monk gets out a wand, casts something on himself, and readies his fists, like he always does.

jmelesky
2012-08-24, 07:08 PM
It wouldn't be a Wizards of the CoastPaizo product if you didn't say that at least a few times per book.

Fixed that for you.

Silverbit
2012-08-24, 08:35 PM
Mine are both from Frostburn, and alter weather patterns.

Fimbulwinter. It creates a bitterly cold winter over a large area (1 mile per level), for 4d12 weeks. Not very useful in combat, but just fun for reverse-terraforming.

Frostfell. This transforms a slightly smaller, but still pretty large, area into tundra for a bit. And also turning EVERYTHING fleshy there to ice, unless they make a Fort save. And when cast more than once, it stacks...

Roguenewb
2012-08-24, 08:55 PM
Nobody knows about Venomfire right?

About Defenestrating Sphere? That spell is awesome!

Amphetryon
2012-08-24, 09:17 PM

Fimbulwinter. It creates a bitterly cold winter over a large area (1 mile per level), for 4d12 weeks. Not very useful in combat, but just fun for reverse-terraforming.

Frostfell. This transforms a slightly smaller, but still pretty large, area into tundra for a bit. And also turning EVERYTHING fleshy there to ice, unless they make a Fort save. And when cast more than once, it stacks...

Fimbulwinter + Explosive Spell = Hilarity, if you can pull it off.

LeshLush
2012-08-24, 09:42 PM
That is amazing.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-25, 04:20 PM
Isn't Fimbulwinter an epic spell?

mattie_p
2012-08-25, 04:29 PM
Fimbulwinter: per Frostburn p 93:

Level: Cleric 9, druid 8, sorcerer/wizard 8, Winter 9

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-25, 05:06 PM
Fimbulwinter: per Frostburn p 93:

Level: Cleric 9, druid 8, sorcerer/wizard 8, Winter 9

Oops. I was thinking of dire winter.

NoldorForce
2012-08-25, 08:11 PM
From Complete Psionic (I know, I know), there's Telekinetic Buffer. It's designed to slow things coming within the emanation, and an augment exists to forcibly shove things out of the way. But the nifty part is that it also grants cover for the duration. (Round/ML, unfortunate without Persistent Power) Not only does this grant +4 AC which stacks with nearly everything, but it also fulfills one of the conditions for stealth and makes you immune to AoOs.

Fable Wright
2012-08-25, 09:51 PM
A lot of Wu Jen spells are like this, unfortunately. Their names and concepts are all brilliant, but in execution... they often disappoint.

It's not possible pre-epic. You can make it an SLA at 18th level, mind you, but to make it (Su), you'd need another feat, and I don't believe that the bonus path feats count Favored Mytery as an applicable bonus feat.

As a matter of fact, Favored Mystery is on the list of bonus Path feats. First after the Metapath feats, in fact. So, it is possible to pull this off pre-epic.

Snowbluff
2012-08-25, 10:20 PM

It's also great for wiping out armies. Make a lot of snow, drop widened/persisted (invisible?) blood snow and slow eat at them as they try and crave their way through the winter! >:D

That_guy_there
2012-08-26, 12:00 AM
A friend showed me the spell "Holy Sh-t" from Pendulum's Promise.

...though its not technically a 3.5/ PF spell, it was a D20 game.

It basically caused intense light to radiate out of you, causing enemies within a 500ft radius of you to catch fire, burn and then become stunned, confused, paralysed and insane before going, blind, deaf, and dumb. Finally they explode. Also there is no save.

The spell appears in the text of the spell descriptions but not on any list. the texts says its usable by any class as long as it the following rule is observed:

The DM CANNOT know about the spell before hand. If the DM already knows about the spell the spell itself has no effect what-so-ever.

Vizzerdrix
2012-08-26, 04:33 AM
Coral Growth-4th level: Shining South: Shape a tiny bit of coral however you see fit. Grow it into walls, stairs or even houses. Heck, Coral armor should be creatable (arms and equipment has some listed).

Suspension-4th level: Shining South: Makes something big fly at your command. With some creative use, you could get a city to stay up in the clouds. Currently, I'm playing an undead sorcerer who intends to get to the moon with this spell.

Bloodvines-(Third party spell. I'll edit the book in properly when I'm home) It's a small DOT to a single target, but if the spell kills them, the vines bare 1d4 fruit that each heal 1d6 hp. Damage, food and healing from one spell, and it's on the Wiz/sorc list? yes please! I've used it on chickens many times.

Animate minor undead-(Third party spell. I'll edit the book in properly when I'm home) you create a 1/4 HD zombie/skeleton from a tiny or smaller critter as a cantrip. You can only have one at a time though.

Summon Nature's minor Ally-(Third party spell. I'll edit the book in properly when I'm home) Works like summon Nature's Ally, but you get animals like mice, frogs and turtles. Not powerful, but it's an orison (is that the name for divine cantrips? :smallconfused: ) and has good flavor for a druid.

Agent 451
2012-08-26, 02:27 PM
Bloodvines-(Third party spell. I'll edit the book in properly when I'm home) It's a small DOT to a single target, but if the spell kills them, the vines bare 1d4 fruit that each heal 1d6 hp. Damage, food and healing from one spell, and it's on the Wiz/sorc list? yes please! I've used it on chickens many times.

Combine that with the chicken infested flaw for fun and profit!

jmelesky
2012-08-27, 12:24 PM
Haven't seen it mentioned, though i'm not sure if it's because everyone already knows about it. But Gallant Inspiration (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/gallant-inspiration) is a second-level bard spell from the PFAPG.

It's an immediate action spell.

You can cast it when someone fails an attack or skill check roll, adding 2d4 to that roll and re-checking success.

That big touch attack didn't hit? Yes, it did. Critical didn't confirm? Yes, it did. Slipped on that ledge and fell 100 feet? No, you didn't.

Wonton
2012-08-29, 11:53 PM
Given what happened in our gaming group today, I just *had* to share this story. :smallbiggrin:

Our usual group of 5 was down to 3 due to IRL absences: Wizard (Spellsinger), Monk (Drunken Brawler but we're only level 3 so no Ki Pool), Bard (largely a disabler with Lullaby/Sleep/Fascinate, a whip, and a net). Not a huge amount of firepower. Our mission was to rescue some abducted kids from a goblin camp. While my wizard was sleeping, the other 2 scouted out the camp, and saw no less than 10 goblins, a heavily armored hobgoblin brute, AND an ogre. Very dangerous in a straight up fight. And if we were to snipe them from distance, they would probably attack the children they were holding hostage.

Anyway, my wizard has been preparing spells on the hilltop overlooking the camp for about 40 minutes now, when the DM announces "You see the goblins bring out some meat and start a fire. A few more goblins emerge from the buildings as the smell of roasting meat spreads throughout the camp." Inspiration suddenly strikes me. I fill one of my remaining slots with

Pyrotechnics (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/pyrotechnics.htm) (Sor/Wiz 2) - PHB/Core

20 minutes later, as my companions have stealthed their way towards the camp, I give the order (via the Bard's Message spell), and the fire explodes into a blinding flash of light that blinds every enemy but the ogre.

The battle is not over yet, but the ogre is dead, 1 goblin is dead, 7 of the goblins have been but to Sleep, and the hobgoblin took some damage too.

tl;dr - Pyrotechnics turned a nearly suicidal encounter into just an average one.

Thalnawr
2012-08-30, 05:29 PM
Telekinetic Charge (Ultimate Combat) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/telekinetic-charge): Throw the party's BSF across the battlefield on your action, giving him a free attack at +2 to hit, while also setting him up for Attacks of Opportunity, Full Attacks, or whatever? Priceless.
Edit: Then there's the cool factor of being able to play chess, using your party members as the pieces...

Venger
2012-09-07, 03:39 PM

that just about killed me.

unfortunately, explosive spell requires the target spell allow a reflex save, which fimbulwinter doesn't.

sucks, I was imagining using arcane thesis on a wiz chassis (8+2-1), it would have been hilarious.

as far as my own list goes for stuff that hasn't been mentioned yet:

Ice Slick (frostburn) now clerics can cast grease too! 1st lvl spell, and lasts 1 rd/lvl (long enough for combat anyway) but covers a 20 foot square, so you'll provoke balance checks all over the place.

false lie (CMage) the RP implications of this are as hilarious as they are varied. target makes will save or everything he says provokes a sense motive check from people at -10. if they fail it (few NPCs have ranks in sense motive) they assume the target is lying. if you can't think of a way to (ab)use this, you're not trying

Blinding color surge (PHB2) a beguiler spell that sor/wizards cribbed. take your colors, turn them into a rainbow colored spear and throw the spear into your enemy's eyes blinds them for 1 round and makes you invisible for 1 rd/lvl. not as long as invisibility, but still pretty decent for a 2nd level spell since you don't return to visibility if you attack.

crystalline memories (CMage) dig a crystal out of someone's head, deal some damage and int damage to them. you can view the crystal at any time later. not the best in-combat spell, and more useful for RP, but it's a handy animal killer since it always does 2 points of int damage

shadow form (SpC) for all the talk about how there is almost nothing D&D characters can't do, walking through walls is one of the few things in this game that is legitimately quite difficult. most teleportation spells/effects (abrupt jaunt aside) require line of sight or previous exposure to the area, and dim door really shorts your shares in the action economy.

enter shadow form. it's one of those newfangled "gain x bonus during the spell, discharge it to gain y larger bonus and end the spell" that started with PHB2 (I like these) it gives bonuses to stealthy skills and concealment for 1 min/lvl, and it lets you pass through solid walls depending on your ranks in escape artist (5 for 5 ft, 10 for 10 ft, 15 for a wall of force!)

even ghostform or legitimately having the incorporeal subtype doesn't let medium creatures go through walls that are more than 5 feet thick , so this spell provides a real unique capability.

puppeteer (spc) make the target mimic your actions for 1 rd/lvl! absolutely hilarious

sting ray (spc) limits subjects to 1 round/action and they have to make concentration of DC of sting ray + lvl for casting spells. and -2 to AC that sticks around even if they make the will save to shake the other effects off. all for a 2nd level slot.

color spray isn't exactly obscure, but people often forget about it once they leave low levels. some monsters even at high CRs have horrible will saves (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/purpleWorm.htm) and it pays to know it. stunning them for a round to let your sneak SA them is incredibly satisfying.

amorphous form (spc) another "get out of jail free" spell (because there are so many) this one also lets you breathe under water and slip through really small cracks.

steeldance (spc)I don't hear about this one nearly enough. buy some sizing weapons, go nuts. you don't even need to be proficient with what you cat it on, so maybe that +3 battleaxe you rolled on the random treasure table isn't as useless as you thought

necrotic skull bomb (CoR) I almost went nuts trying to find this spell. in CMage, monte writes little writeups and suggested tips about how to play different specialist wizards. one of the suggested spells for necromancer is necrotic skull bomb. not having heard of it, and not seeing a page number or book, I figured it was in spells and checked CMage to find nothing. eventually I discovered it was in champions of ruin.

it
is
awesome.

5th lvl slot, deal 1d4 negative levels in a 20 foot burst at medium range as a swift action fort neg, but you'll be hitting so many people, that it won't matter so much. since it's swift, you could enervate whoever got hit the worst/didn't get hit to soften up adversaries in early rounds

entice gift (bovd)npcs are almost always holding something. make it yours! they'll even run across the room to give it to you if they fail their save.

legion of sentinels (PHB2) one of the few no save, no SR, no touch attack spells in the game. excellent to put riders on (such as the fell x chain) and absolutely begging to be sculpted. makes a not terrible choice for arcane thesis since the errata for how they work was released (BA=your CL,19-20 crit, 1d8+1/3CL max 5, slashing, affected by DR) especially deadly if used with other things that provide similar effects (phantom battle, silent image, friend to foe, etc)

Amphetryon
2012-09-07, 04:00 PM
unfortunately, explosive spell requires the target spell allow a reflex save, which fimbulwinter doesn't. It's not impossible to legally add a REF save element to Fimbulwinter, pre-epic. :smallwink:

Kuulvheysoon
2012-09-07, 04:12 PM
It's not impossible to legally add a REF save element to Fimbulwinter, pre-epic. :smallwink:

Complete Arcane is your friend, am I right?:smallbiggrin:

lsfreak
2012-09-07, 04:35 PM
necrotic skull bomb (CoR) I almost went nuts trying to find this spell. in CMage, monte writes little writeups and suggested tips about how to play different specialist wizards. one of the suggested spells for necromancer is necrotic skull bomb. not having heard of it, and not seeing a page number or book, I figured it was in spells and checked CMage to find nothing. eventually I discovered it was in champions of ruin.

it
is
awesome.

5th lvl slot, deal 1d4 negative levels in a 20 foot burst at medium range as a swift action fort neg, but you'll be hitting so many people, that it won't matter so much. since it's swift, you could enervate whoever got hit the worst/didn't get hit to soften up adversaries in early rounds

Damnit, I got to the last two posts and thought I'd be the first to bring it up. It is awesome. AoE enervation as a swift action, even if they do get a save negates, at 5th level? Yes. Please.

Probably pretty well-known, but I really like Dimension Shuffle. Rearrange CL creatures in close range. The only thing I dislike about it is the standard "must be within 30 feet of each other" clause, though it only applies to the initial targeting and not the final rearranging. Throw in Anticipate Teleportation and you can have some fun offensively as well.

EDIT: Not a single spell, but Freezing Fog + Fel Draining + Born of Three Thunders is just cruel. Movement is 5 feet per round in a 20-radius spread, must make a DC10 Balance to move at all, and if you roll a 5 or less you fall prone. Every round you have to make a Reflex save or fall prone anyways. Deals 1d6 damage, half sonic half electricity, which is nothing, but every time you take damage, you are dealt a negative level (no save), are stunned (Fort negates), and stunned creatures are knocked prone (Reflex negates).
And it lasts a minute per level. Definitely worth the round of Daze the caster takes to drop this on a group of creatures.

Venger
2012-09-07, 05:13 PM
It's not impossible to legally add a REF save element to Fimbulwinter, pre-epic. :smallwink:

cool! how does that work?

Doxkid
2012-09-08, 02:46 PM
...but every time you take damage, you are dealt a negative level (no save)...

Actually, I think it can only apply once for DOT spells. I was quite sure earlier, but there don't seem to be many arguments that come to a final agreement on it...

...any living creature that is dealt damage also gains a negative level...

cool! how does that work?
A little like this. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9892.0)

Arbane
2012-09-08, 09:15 PM
I'm rather fond of Pathfinder's Vomit Swarm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/v/vomit-swarm) spell. Yes, I just disabled an enemy by puking up spiders all over them.

I think it does a good job of establishing the "WTF?" factor witches have. :smallbiggrin:

ThatKreacher
2012-09-08, 09:45 PM
My favourite spell right now is Scholars touch. Essentially, you touch a book, and it's like you read it once. I think this is crazily awesome. It'd be oh so useful.

Venger
2012-09-08, 09:52 PM
My favourite spell right now is Scholars touch. Essentially, you touch a book, and it's like you read it once. I think this is crazily awesome. It'd be oh so useful.

related: master's touch. touch a weapon, get proficient with it.

Aharon
2012-09-09, 02:23 AM

I think that rule interpretation comes from a very liberal reading of the following, especially the clause "whenever she encounters one on a magic scroll". AFAIK, the Den uses this interpretation.

Spells Copied from Another’s Spellbook or a Scroll

A wizard can also add a spell to her book whenever she encounters one on a magic scroll or in another wizard’s spellbook. No matter what the spell’s source, the wizard must first decipher the magical writing (see Arcane Magical Writings, above).[...]

Sneaky Weasel
2012-09-09, 02:47 AM
Not sure how rare it is, but I've always been a fan of Flensing. (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-arcane--55/flensing--547/) It literally peels people. Add in the fact that the material component is an onion, and there's your nightmares for the next week.

Also, Spells and Spellcraft has a couple fun spells in it. Claws of the Demon, a 1st level Wizard spell, gave you a claw attack that dealt 2d8 damage, which is enough to kill most anything at that level. It does give you a -2 penalty to charisma based skills, though, because you just grew massive freaking claws.

Quakethrust, from the same book, is a 1st level Wizard spell that forces everything within 20 ft. of the caster to make a reflex save or go prone. Bonus points if you're a first level Sorcerer and this is the only spell you can cast, and even more bonus points if you repeatedly cast it in range of your party, and they are all knocked over while the NPCs make their saves. Yes, I did this, yes, I'm a horrible player.:smallbiggrin:

Oh, and one last spell, yet again from Spells and Spellcraft(such a good book). Burrowing Bony Digits, a 4th level Wizard spell, uses skeletal fingers as a material component. They fly through the air and burrow into up to five different creatures, dealing 1d6 damage per round. So creepy and painful, perfect for Necromancers.

Blisstake
2012-09-09, 03:33 AM
It basically caused intense light to radiate out of you, causing enemies within a 500ft radius of you to catch fire, burn and then become stunned, confused, paralysed and insane before going, blind, deaf, and dumb. Finally they explode. Also there is no save.

Doesn't that already exist? It's called Holy Word or something :smalltongue:

The spell appears in the text of the spell descriptions but not on any list. the texts says its usable by any class as long as it the following rule is observed:

The DM CANNOT know about the spell before hand. If the DM already knows about the spell the spell itself has no effect what-so-ever.

Woah. That sounds like something that could really get a DM pissed at you. Interesting, though...

Doorhandle
2012-09-09, 04:01 AM
I'm rather fond of Pathfinder's Vomit Swarm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/v/vomit-swarm) spell. Yes, I just disabled an enemy by puking up spiders all over them.

I think it does a good job of establishing the "WTF?" factor witches have. :smallbiggrin:

Yes, vomit swarm is awesome.

Most of the spells to do with swarming are awesome, actually. Like cape of wasps, (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/cape-of-wasps) because you can fly about and sting those that attack you because YOU'RE COVERED IN BEEEEEES.

Or the Swarm-Skin spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/swarm-skin), that lets you turn into a small army of insects, or multiples of them: turn into multiple bee swarms and then reform as a nanorobot hours later. Or turn 10 spider swarms/2 army ant swarms and then just repetitively move through your foes's square until they die.

JellyPooga
2012-09-09, 05:08 AM
Infernal Threnody: Distract your foes by forcing them to get a song stuck in their head...Iiiiiiiiiiiii know a song that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves...:smallbiggrin:

jmelesky
2012-09-09, 02:36 PM
The series of Litany spells from Ultimate Magic are pretty awesome, though some are better than others. They're mostly swift action spells with a single round duration and no save. Litany of Sloth is possibly my favorite -- level one, and the target can take no attacks of opportunity, or (and this is the fun part) cast spells defensively. It works really well for locking down spellcasters with a Step Up build.

On that note, the Inquisitor spell list is full of gems.

Slii Arhem
2012-09-15, 08:44 PM
*snip*legion of sentinels (PHB2) one of the few no save, no SR, no touch attack spells in the game. excellent to put riders on (such as the fell x chain) and absolutely begging to be sculpted. makes a not terrible choice for arcane thesis since the errata for how they work was released (BA=your CL,19-20 crit, 1d8+1/3CL max 5, slashing, affected by DR) especially deadly if used with other things that provide similar effects (phantom battle, silent image, friend to foe, etc)

So I actually didn't know about this spell, but I was inspired by this to do some research and calculations about just how many AoO's you stand to take if you just ran through it without a care.

My best guess? A grand total of 24. That may seem like a lot for a 10ft radius spell, but I'll tell you how I came to that conclusion.

It's a 10ft radius emanation, and fills each square in it with a sentinel. Not each ground level square, but each square in a radius "centered on a point in space".

What I'm getting at is that it creates sentinels in the squares above you, and because it says that they can be created in squares with objects, that means it creates them in squares below as well.

So that's rather nifty. What at first seemed like a rather efficient gauntlet of blades turns into a cheese grater from hell when you look at it more closely. I can't help but think of how efficiently this would take out a flying dragon if placed into its flight path. A large or larger creature would provoke even more attacks from it.

Occasional Sage
2012-09-15, 09:25 PM
Kaupaer's Reflexive Strike (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050112a).

Kon Lesh
2012-09-16, 03:29 AM
Pup Shape (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/pup-shape) on a summoned tyrannosaurus rex.

Cup of dust (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/cup-of-dust) on a spellcaster. A fort save spell that causes the spellcaster to make concentration checks for every spell and will deal non-lethal damage for a long time unless he gets it removed.

That_guy_there
2012-09-16, 02:38 PM
Pup Shape (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/pup-shape) on a summoned tyrannosaurus rex.

Or, more likely on the Druid's Allosuarus Companion. :smallbiggrin:

Doesn't that already exist? It's called Holy Word or something :smalltongue:

Woah. That sounds like something that could really get a DM pissed at you. Interesting, though...

Yeah, i bet it would make a DM really miffed! Unfortunately two things have prevented me from using it... 1] it was a setting specific thing, and no one was willing to actually run a pendulums promise game... and 2] one of my firends thought it would be funny if all the PCs used it at the same time... which is just nuts.

dextercorvia
2012-09-16, 04:01 PM
Sticky Floor -- RotD. 1st level spell effects a 10' square. Entangles on a passed save. Immobilizes on a failed save. Duration: Hour per level.

Zombulian
2012-09-16, 07:12 PM
Spider Hand (http://therafimrpg.wikidot.com/spider-hand). It's from a Dragon Magazine somewhere, in an article all about Ettercaps, which was pretty cool.

So basically you cut off your hand, which turns into "thing" from "The Adam's Family." You can see through it and use it to spy on things or whatever. Just a generally cool spell in my opinion.

Venger
2012-09-16, 07:24 PM
Spider Hand (http://therafimrpg.wikidot.com/spider-hand). It's from a Dragon Magazine somewhere, in an article all about Ettercaps, which was pretty cool.

So basically you cut off your hand, which turns into "thing" from "The Adam's Family." You can see through it and use it to spy on things or whatever. Just a generally cool spell in my opinion.

spider hand was also reprinted in vile darkness.

jmelesky
2012-09-17, 10:51 AM
Cup of dust (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/cup-of-dust) on a spellcaster. A fort save spell that causes the spellcaster to make concentration checks for every spell and will deal non-lethal damage for a long time unless he gets it removed.

I don't see where the effects force concentration checks. They're dehydrating, so they take nonlethal damage (up to every hour). As soon as they take nonlethal damage, they're fatigued (can't run or charge, -2 to Str and Dex). Is there an effect that I'm missing?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-17, 10:58 AM
IIRC there is also a concentration check to cast spells while being dealt continuous damage.

dextercorvia
2012-09-17, 11:08 AM
IIRC there is also a concentration check to cast spells while being dealt continuous damage.

That doesn't really sound like continuous damage, though. Isn't continuous every round? That would make sense with the notion that you are treating half the damage as happening when you are trying to cast the spell.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-17, 11:18 AM
I didn't read the specifics of the spell; but I assumed the non-lethal damage was on a round per round basis.

dextercorvia
2012-09-17, 11:32 AM
I didn't read the specifics of the spell; but I assumed the non-lethal damage was on a round per round basis.

No. Its just the normal Con check per hour or non-lethal damage.

Deathkeeper
2012-09-19, 10:43 PM
Winds of Vengeance. I mean, it might not be in the "no one knows about it" category, but not everyone knows that the spell specifically mentions that it can be used (if endure elements is cast beforehand to avoid freezing) to fly through outer space.

Karoht
2012-09-19, 10:57 PM
Winds of Vengeance. I mean, it might not be in the "no one knows about it" category, but not everyone knows that the spell specifically mentions that it can be used (if endure elements is cast beforehand to avoid freezing) to fly through outer space.That. Is super cool.
Wouldn't one need Breathe Without Air or some other such workaround as well? Or am I missing something about the wording on Endure Elements or Winds of Vengeance?
EDIT: We'll pretend radiation isn't a thing. Yay fantasy!

Deathkeeper
2012-09-19, 11:21 PM
That. Is super cool.
Wouldn't one need Breathe Without Air or some other such workaround as well? Or am I missing something about the wording on Endure Elements or Winds of Vengeance?
EDIT: We'll pretend radiation isn't a thing. Yay fantasy!

Winds of Vengeace specifically mentions that is surrounds you with breathable air for the entire duration. So as long as radiation doesn't exist, you have propulsion, air, and heat (with EE). You might want to force-cage (or something) yourself to work around pressure, though.

Ravens_cry
2012-09-19, 11:28 PM
Winds of Vengeace specifically mentions that is surrounds you with breathable air for the entire duration. So as long as radiation doesn't exist, you have propulsion, air, and heat (with EE). You might want to force-cage (or something) yourself to work around pressure, though.
As long as your surrounded by breathable air, the pressure takes care of itself, air needing to be above a certain pressure to be breathable.
That's how present spacesuits work, though there has been prototype designs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_activity_suit) that use mechanical pressure instead.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-20, 09:44 AM
Radiation isn't that big a deal anyway, the only WotC source I've seen that covers it (d20 future) has it as a disease. A high fort save and/or a remove disease when you get back and it's a non-issue.

jaybird
2012-09-20, 10:45 AM
Hydraulic Push - basically Bigby's at level 1. Also the most gangsta spell in the game -

"I make it rain on them hoes"/"Move bitch, get out the way!"

TopCheese
2012-09-20, 10:51 AM
I know that over the years, I've found some really interesting and relatively obscure spells that I get the feeling most people don't know about. I'm probably not the only one in this feeling. Here's my personal favourite:

This lights you on fire and you leave a Wall of Fire effect behind in squares you walk through. Definitely not the most bang you can get for a 3rd level spell slot, but how cool is it to be able to draw the wall effect however you want? Combine with Swift Expeditious Retreat to be able to literally run a circle around a Medium-sized creature in the same round without provoking AoOs

. x x x .
x . . . x
x . o . x
x . . . x
. x x x .

x - wall
o - enemy
60 feet of movement
So, post away. Bonus points for surprising other experienced Playgrounders with spells they've never heard of before. Please list the source too - it's no fun if your secret spells stay secret.

Holy... My Totemist will have a few levels of wizard... I have an idea... I... Yeah... This will be fun!

Edit: This spell + grapple + pull target through the squares.... Hmmmm

Karoht
2012-09-20, 04:10 PM
Hydraulic Push - basically Bigby's at level 1. Also the most gangsta spell in the game -

"I make it rain on them hoes"/"Move bitch, get out the way!"
Don't forget Hydraulic Push's big brother Hydraulic Torrent-pushes everything in a line. It's pretty rad.