PDA

View Full Version : Making Magical Shields

Chaosvii7
2012-08-21, 05:30 AM
So, I have officially become heavily invested in making a Shield Slinger Fighter, and I know that using a basic spiked shield makes sense and all, and I understand the standard shpiel for making shields magical, but the build presents a new question: Because the Shield Sling is a ranged attack option, does that mean I can enchant it as if it were both a melee weapon and a ranged weapon? The weapon is a ranged attack, and makes the throwing melee quality useless, but it is naturally a melee weapon and is treated as such(so it's basically a big fat spiked dagger). So does that mean I can treat it like both a melee and a ranged weapon?

Because I would so love to toss a Returning Speed Axiomatic Holy Bane(whatever) Keen Shield.

I suppose it's up to my DM, but he is incredibly lenient with these things, he just wants it to be out of Wizards-made sourcebooks. I'm just wondering if there is a rules-based conflict of interest, or if it is totally good to go.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-08-21, 05:49 AM
Yes, but you need to enchant the offensive and defensive abilities separately:

Shields

A shield could be built that also acted as a magic weapon, but the cost of the enhancement bonus on attack rolls would need to be added into the cost of the shield and its enhancement bonus to AC.

Also

Shield Bash Attacks

You can bash an opponent with a heavy shield, using it as an off-hand weapon. See Table: Weapons for the damage dealt by a shield bash. Used this way, a heavy shield is a martial bludgeoning weapon. For the purpose of penalties on attack rolls, treat a heavy shield as a one-handed weapon. If you use your shield as a weapon, you lose its AC bonus until your next action (usually until the next round). An enhancement bonus on a shield does not improve the effectiveness of a shield bash made with it, but the shield can be made into a magic weapon in its own right.

Both from the SRD

hoverfrog
2012-08-21, 05:53 AM
A +1 dagger is a +1 dagger whether you stab someone with it or throw it.

What I would suggest it creating the shield as a weapon and giving it the Defending (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#defending) quality. that allows you to shift the enhancement bonus to a defensive bonus that stacks with all other types. Which is nice.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-08-21, 06:31 AM
Yeah, I totally misread the original question.

The offensive portion would be enchanted as a melee weapon, just because you can chuck it at someone doesn't also make it a ranged weapon, RAW you can throw daggers and clubs at people, doesn't mean you can apply two different sets of enchantments to them.

erikun
2012-08-21, 06:55 AM
There are no seperate "ranged weapon" and "melee weapon" enhancements. There are simply weapon enhancements, some of which can only be applied to melee weapons and some can only be applied to ranged weapons. Weapons which could as ammunition get a discount when being enhanced, but are otherwise identical. ("Ammunition" weapons are specifically referred to as such and do not automatically include weapons which happen to be used as ammunition for some other equipment. Shields do not count as ammunition.)