PDA

View Full Version : Quick Adventure Idea

00dlez
2012-08-21, 09:17 AM
I couldn't sleep last night and started watching the classic (for better or worse) movie Roadhouse (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098206/). If you aren't familiar, Patrick Swayze is a traveling bouncer who is brought in to clean up one of the roughest bars around, culminating with him ripping a man's throat out with his bare hands.

A once normal tavern on your cities docks has really fallen from grace these last few years and has fallen to nightly brawls and gang violence. The party is brought in to clean the place up, but as in the movie, they can't just out and out kill people - they have to hold thier own the best they can.

Kol Korran
2012-08-21, 10:19 AM
Isn't it Patrick Swayze, not Kevin Spacey? (Not that i'd mind- seeing him in an action movie might be... intriguing)

Anyway, sounds like this might be a cool side adventure. What exactly are you asking us though? And what exactly do you mean by "hold their own"? (Enlighten those of us that haven't seen the movie)

Invader
2012-08-21, 11:01 AM
Wow Kevin Spacy and Patrick Swayze aren't even close lol.

In all honesty though, tavern fights seem like they're pretty cliche in D&D regardless of the reason for the fighting.

00dlez
2012-08-21, 03:49 PM
Fixed, I'm the worst at actors names, thanks.

In all honesty though, tavern fights seem like they're pretty cliche in D&D regardless of the reason for the fighting.

Agreed, but the main trouble makers in the movie are sons/nephews/linked in underlings/etc of the "guy who runs the town". This aspect lends a pretty in depth back story to your bar fights, can lend itself to more intrigue gameplay behind the backdrop of an overdone bar brawl. There are politics to consider. Heavy handed retaliation against one crony might mean the innocent shop keeper down the street has an "accidental fire" later that night.

The antagonists are criminals, but more mafia strong men than thugs the city watch hasn't picked up yet. In this case, members of the watch can be in on it etc etc etc.