PDA

View Full Version : 3.5/P spells that scale with attributes?

7RED7
2012-08-21, 12:15 PM
I'd be interested to know of any spells or spell chains that have damages, effects, or durations keyed off of various attributes.

I think it's a fun extra bit of strategy to trade a class level for an LA that gives you a boost to some attributes. It's usually effective for melee types as they apply more directly to combat, but for casters everything flows through the spells and it's hard to justify the loss of a level as many spells function regardless of mental or physical abilities.

I think it would be interesting to be a spell level behind standard progression, but have all the spells be just a little beefier without dealing with all that clumsy metamagic.

jaybird
2012-08-21, 02:50 PM
Warmage gets Int to damage, but they're a Cha caster...despite the fluff being that they study in academies to acquire their magic and train to be able to cast in armor...:smallfurious:

7RED7
2012-08-21, 08:46 PM
Well, I mean the actual spells themselves. e.g. +Stat to duration, damage, etc.

I'm assuming that it would be a full (not counting LA) class of pure wizard, sorc, cleric, druid, etc.

Roguenewb
2012-08-21, 08:55 PM
yeah, I also though that attribute based scaling would be better than level based. Fireball deals 3d6 damage +1d6 per casting mod. It's hard to beat 10d6 that way, but if you focus, you can, and it makes templates more useful for casters.

Endelehia
2012-08-22, 03:06 PM
Whirlwind Blade (2 wizard/sorcerer,2 bard ) is such a spell,it scales with your casting attribute though at a minimal rate

You hurl a weapon held at the time of
casting, and it magically attacks all
enemies along a line to the extent of the
spell’s range (60 ft).
You make a normal melee
attack, just as if you were attacking
with the weapon in melee, against each
foe in the weapon’s path, but you can
choose to substitute your Intelligence
modifier or your Charisma modifier
(as appropriate for your spellcasting
class) for your Strength modifier on the
weapon’s attack rolls and damage rolls.

Novawurmson
2012-08-22, 03:10 PM
Spiritual Weapon takes its bonus on attack rolls from your Wisdom modifier...Telekinetic Maneuver uses your Int modifier for making checks...

demigodus
2012-08-22, 04:42 PM
Kelpstrand. Scales with both wisdom modifier and caster level.

Spiritjaws scales with BAB and Wisdom modifier.

Generally though, caster level scales a lot faster than casting mods. So in the current system spells that scaled off of casting mods would either be extremely powerful when you first get them, or horribly weak at high levels. Quite possibly both.

nedz
2012-08-22, 07:42 PM
Any spell with a save is kind of keyed off the casting stat.