PDA

View Full Version : Legacy of Fire II [OOC]



Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Down Comforter
2012-08-21, 12:17 PM
Alright, we've got an OOC thread. Please repost your character sheets here (and statblocks if you have them) and choose your colors. You will all be beginning on the road, after traveling together for about a a few days, so you will all have the chance to introduce yourselves to each other.

Our party:

Starbin - Krog the Fallen (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=435739)
shugyosha - Vikcara Jocanda (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=410369)
Frivolous - Grace (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=435767)
meemaas - The Dagda Mor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=435446)
Morbis Meh - Scrag the Talentless (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=435260)


IC Thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253501).

Frivolous
2012-08-21, 12:34 PM
Grace

Grace (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=435767)
Female Neutral Good Human Ranger, Level 1, Init +3, HP 12/12, Speed 20
AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +3, Base Attack Bonus 1
Scimitar +2 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
Dagger +2/+4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
Shortbow (20) +4 (1d6, x3)
Studded leather armor, Buckler (+3 Armor, +1 Shield, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 13, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 11
Condition None



Since Grace is a ranger, I hope no one minds if I claim the color Green.

Note: I believe that the AC versus Touch attacks is glitched. It should include the bonus from Grace's Dodge feat, but it does not. I'm waiting for Myth-Weavers to fix that oversight.

Grace's normal speed is 30, but when she is carrying all her equipment, she is only 20.

Starbin
2012-08-21, 02:25 PM
Hail and well met, all! I second the wish for a long and healthy game!
"Speaking" "Whispering" Thinking for Krog (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=435739), male CG half-orc barbarian (Hurler)

Level 2, Init +2, HP 21, Speed 20 (30 w/o armor)
AC 17, Touch 12 Flat-footed 15
Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +1, BAB +2, CMB/CMD +6/18
Abilities Str 19, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 13
Racial traits +2 Str, Darkvision 60', +2 Intimidation; Bestial (+2 Perception); WF: greataxe, falchion, orc weapons
Feats Power Attack
Class abilities Rage (12 rnds/day), Skilled Thrower (+10ft increment to thrown weapons); RP: Lesser Hurling; Uncanny dodge
Skills Acrobatics +3*; Climb +5*; Intimidate +8; Perception +8; Survival +6; KS (Nature) +5 *Includes -4 for armor
Favored Class Barbarian (+1 skill pt; +1 rnd raging)
WeaponAttDamCritRngTypeNote[
Greataxe+61d12+6x3/20-Scold iron
Dagger+61d4+4x2/19-2020P/SCan be thrown @ +4
Javelins x5+41d6+4x2/2040ftP-4 att in melee
Spear x2+61d8+6x3/2030ftPCan be thrown @ +4, brace
ItemACDexPenSpellSpeed
Scale mail+5+3-425%20ft
Mundane equipment pack, bedroll, pouch, flint & steel, whetstone, waterskin x2, caltrops, fish hooks, twine (50ft), traveler's outfit, cold weather outfit, tankard, pulque wine x5, old law whiskey bottle x2, holy water x2
Magical equipment lesser restoration potion

HPs 25 AC 15, Touch 10 Flat-footed 13
Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +3, CMD/FCMD 20/19
Abilities Str 23, Dex 14, Con 19, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 13
Skills Acrobatics +3*; Climb +7*; Intimidate +8; Perception +8 *Includes -4 for armor
WeaponAttDamCritRngTypeNote[
Greataxe+81d12+9x3/20-Scold iron
Dagger+81d4+6x2/19-2020P/SCan be thrown @ +4
Javelins x5+41d6+6x2/2040ftP-4 att in melee
Spear x2+81d8+9x3/2030ftPCan be thrown @ +4, brace
Condition Enraged

shugyosha
2012-08-21, 02:28 PM
Vikcara checking in. I was hoping to have another primary caster to support, but I'm sure the cleric will work out.

I'll take Purple

Dayaz
2012-08-21, 02:40 PM
today is hectic, I'll have my backstory up and the rest i need by the end of the night however.

I think I'll be taking blue

meemaas
2012-08-21, 03:33 PM
The Dagda Mor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=435446), will be speaking in Red. He also prefers not to be called by name, for to him it is a title, not a name.

Starbin
2012-08-21, 03:38 PM
As an aside, wasn't the Dagda Mor the lead demon in the Elfstones of Shannara? If so, I claim the Reaper as my title :smallbiggrin:

meemaas
2012-08-21, 03:43 PM
You are the first person to recognize it. I liked the name and thought it fit for a shaper, since he'd be summoning his own minions to attack for him. I'll admit mines not that close to the real Dagda Mor, but i think i made a decent fit nonetheless.

And i'm impressed there's someone out there that recognizes the Shannara series. Its one of my favorite book series

Starbin
2012-08-21, 04:00 PM
Oh, I love that series ... after the Lord of the Rings, it was the first series that scratched the "Epic AND engaging" itch for me. That's not to say there aren't good series out there, but the Sword of Shannara is a pivotal story in the many series I've read. I'm a little ashamed to say I haven't read ALL of them (Sword, Elfstones, Wishsong, Scions, Druid and Elf Queen only) ... but after awhile, I lost track of the novels (shame on me!).

As for recognizing the name, it so happens that the Elfstones are probably my favorite amongst the books (so much action, lots of additional fluff about the world, lots of "HOLY &*&^" moments, and even some heart-string twanging moments.

And you have no idea how many Garrett Jax wannabe's I've run into in my electronic and pen & paper gaming history.

meemaas
2012-08-21, 04:03 PM
I've yet to run into anyone else who ripped off a Shannara character. That said, i've read all but the newest one, including the word and the void series. I'll admit there's a lot. 23 as of today. Still, nice to meet someone else who actually knows anything about the series.

Dayaz
2012-08-21, 04:53 PM
Okay, about to finish out the final touches for the Cleric (yes yes monkey's, the healer will be ready for gnoll-nomming soon) and as he's somewhat goofy, so Dagda might range from his full 'title' to just Dagda or Dag with Geso... not to cause IC drama, but I think it could lead to some fun dialogue hehe

meemaas
2012-08-21, 05:27 PM
Okay, about to finish out the final touches for the Cleric (yes yes monkey's, the healer will be ready for gnoll-nomming soon) and as he's somewhat goofy, so Dagda might range from his full 'title' to just Dagda or Dag with Geso... not to cause IC drama, but I think it could lead to some fun dialogue hehe

Don't be surprised if you get shot in the back of the head by a 1d3 shard of crystal.

Dayaz
2012-08-21, 05:36 PM
Don't be surprised if you get shot in the back of the head by a 1d3 shard of crystal.

...I thought he was Chaotic Good? Well, if that happens we'll see how the others react and the situation develops. Just remember, you'll need my healing too :P

EDIT:

Backstory

Geso was a small child when Kelmarane fell. Luckily, he wasn't there when it all happened, as his father had taken him to another temple of Sarenrae while on a pilgrimage. His mother, however, was a guard for Kelmarane, and she fell fighting the invaders. Geso didn't know of this, however, as his father told him his mother had grown ill and had died while they were on the pilgrimage.

Growing up, Geso was always more interested in helping the local doctors and clerics than playing with the other boys. He wanted to learn how to heal people, so as to keep more people from dying like he thought his mother did. When he was 13 he joined the Church of Sarenrae as a trainee, and he gained his vestments not long after turning 17, amazing his teachers with his dedication to healing anyone who needed it. He spent a few years working in the church, before his father died from a nasty fall when he was helping fix a roof for a friend. Not long after, the Abbot told him what had really happened to his mother.

While he was initially angry at his father, he found himself unable to hold the grudge and instead came to understand his father's want to protect him from knowing how his mother really died. Hearing about an expedition to reclaim Kelmarane, Geso pleaded to be able to join the trip and help keep everyone alive, and to help rebuild the Temple of Sarenrae. After he was allowed, he donned his father's old breastplate, and went to sign up for the trip.

meemaas
2012-08-21, 05:37 PM
A good person can still be annoyed, and the power in question is the equivalent of a hard smack to the back of the head.

Down Comforter
2012-08-21, 05:37 PM
And if you must kill each other, do it quietly. A TPK won't do at all :smalltongue:

meemaas
2012-08-21, 05:38 PM
Again, 1d3. I'm not going to do anything lethal, just smack him once in a while if he annoys me with the use of the name.

Starbin
2012-08-21, 05:43 PM
Well, since we're all here ... and the Mighty GM said we've been travelling together for a few days, we should probably make some introductions.

Krog (he goes by Krog ... the fallen is just a title that seems to fit, but nobody would call him that) seems sullen and haunted when sober, disinterested in the world around him. He will talk when spoken to (depending on the person), but usually doesn't initiate conversations or 'chat.' When the group stops for the evening, he will occasionally drink, but sometimes he just stares into his mug of ale pensively. Only on bad days, when there's killing (or if someone in the group were to die), does he take to the drink with a vengeance ... sometimes drinking himself to sleep. When he drinks heavily, he typically becomes touchy and grumpy (greaaaaaaaaat).

Not sure if we will have seen combat, but if so, the others would probably have seen him take a drink or two during the battle, fueling his already lengthy black rage. If not, the group will probably notice he keeps a skin of water and one of ale at his side.

Now for Krog's interactions with the others ... I'm guessing that Grace, Geso and Vikcara will introduce themselves as normal, but how will Dagda Mor intoduce himself (I can't see the sheet at work)? There might be interesting names ... Dagda ... or Mor ... or DM, perhaps? If he made no introduction at all (just started interacting with everyone in a mysterious, where-the-heck-did-that-guy-come-from sort of way), then he might get called Spooky, Shady, Weirdo, etc.

I'm thinking Krog's perspective of everyone will probably change once we're in combat, but before then, he would be of the following mindset:

Dagda Mor - 'Spooky. I don't trust that freak any further than I can chuck him, and I could probably clear 20 feet ... he'd better keep his hands inside that cloak when he's around me ...'

Vikcara - 'Oh gods, not another 'entertainer' ... is he a mime? Good, cuz I'd probably kill him and do the world a favor. Just don't let him do anything silly, like making my gold or my booze disappear. I'll take care of that.'

Geso - 'Dammit, he's annoying! I've never met somebody so up-beat ... I just want to punch him. I mean, I'm sure he means well, but some of us just want to be miserable ... stop trying to fix me!'

Grace - 'Gotta say, the girl's got the right attitude about gnolls, at least. She looks like she can handle that bow ... here's hoping she doesn't get all weepy on us. Or weird ... every seen that gleam she gets in her eyes when we start talking about dog-snouts? It's kinda creepy ... '

This are just my initial thoughts ... I figure we hash this stuff out now, so when we jump into the IC thread, we all have an idea of a starting point for our general group dynamics ... Next? :smallbiggrin:

meemaas
2012-08-21, 05:48 PM
"My name is unnecessary. My past? None of your business. Who i am? You don't care. You don't need to trust me, just don't be a hindrance and we'll get along as well as needed."

He'll be reliable and dependable, but not exactly the nicest person you'll ever meet.

Starbin
2012-08-21, 05:54 PM
Well played ... prepare for the not-so-flattering nicknames, me thinks ... though it's not like Krog should care too much.

Mutters ... "Dung-hole ... maybe I'll let the first dog-snout past, so I don't hinder his chance to get et ..."

Dayaz
2012-08-21, 05:55 PM
...I could see Geso trying to cheer up Krog, and eventually realizing he doesn't care... it could be fun lol. Geso would eventually offer a trade to Krog: Since Krog is both Strong, and wants to be left alone, if he carries a few things for Geso (mostly his rope in the dungeons I would think) Geso will stop trying to convert him until the town is reclaimed and the Temple and Tavern built (so they can both have a place to relax)

@Meemaas See, a hard smack wouldn't bother me or Geso all that much, but throwing a chunk of rock at him and doing actual damage he would find excessive. (especially since a d3 is potentially a third of his health gone)

EDIT: and Krog and Dagda are going to find that while Geso is a goofball most of the time, he's 100% dedicated to keeping everyone alive during a fight, and he's very serious in the fights. No goofing around in those for him, nope

meemaas
2012-08-21, 05:57 PM
i don't see it happening while we're level one. Even an annoyed person knows better than to half kill one of his allies when he needs them. But this isn't a game thats only going to be at level one, and at higher levels, 1d3 is a scratch at best.

Dayaz
2012-08-21, 06:00 PM
i don't see it happening while we're level one. Even an annoyed person knows better than to half kill one of his allies when he needs them. But this isn't a game thats only going to be at level one, and at higher levels, 1d3 is a scratch at best.

yea, I was mostly worried about it happening, say, before level 4 I'd say. Plus, Geso is open to Dagda explaining/bartering to him the reason he likes having it be a title to him... though Geso will say during a fight he's getting called Dagda just because it's faster.

Starbin
2012-08-21, 06:02 PM
"Here's another offer ... you stop trying to 'fix' me and I won't shove your rope up your (*^ when you're sleeping ... whaddya think?"

After days of cheerful prattling, however ... "ALRIGHT! GIVE ME THE FREAKIN' ROPE ALREADY!"

Dayaz
2012-08-21, 06:24 PM
"Here's another offer ... you stop trying to 'fix' me and I won't shove your rope up your (*^ when you're sleeping ... whaddya think?"

After days of cheerful prattling however ... "ALRIGHT! GIVE ME THE FREAKIN' ROPE ALREADY!"

rofl

to be fair, Geso does keep him alive and in good health with his healing magic

shugyosha
2012-08-21, 06:30 PM
Vikcara - 'Oh gods, not another 'entertainer' ... is he a mime? Good, cuz I'd probably kill him and do the world a favor. Just don't let him do anything silly, like making my gold or my booze disappear. I'll take care of that.'

Vikcara is a she, although Krog may be too drunk to notice.

Vikcara is friendly and helpful kind of person. She might have paid for a round with Krog or joke around with Geso.

She is a singer and a slight of hand specialist. You might catch her singing as the caravan moves or doing small tricks to keep people entertained.

Down Comforter
2012-08-21, 06:33 PM
@shugyosha
Dagda Mor is a "caster" of sorts. So you're certainly not alone on the casting front.

Dayaz
2012-08-21, 06:44 PM
Vikcara is a she, although Krog may be too drunk to notice.

Vikcara is friendly and helpful kind of person. She might have paid for a round with Krog or joke around with Geso.

She is a singer and a slight of hand specialist. You might catch her singing as the caravan moves or doing small tricks to keep people entertained.

Geso is oh-so-relieved to find a fellow cheerful person here. On another note, Vikcara might need to try teaching Geso how to sing/play an instrument (Hymns baby, yeah!).

I'm not sure about the Ranger (whose name I still need to memorize) but (I think between Vikcara and Geso we should have enough 'face power' to keep people from being to freaked out by the 'cloaked stranger' and the 'drunkard barbarian'.

Also, since this is as far as I could tell a slightly desert campaign? am I right? I made the executive decision that Geso is always going to prepare Create Water (2 gallons a cast without end? I might just have fun with that, actually, hrm)

Down Comforter
2012-08-21, 06:46 PM
Definitely a desert campaign. Create Water would not go amiss.

meemaas
2012-08-21, 06:48 PM
As a side note, The Dagda Mor can typically sustain himself by sheer force of will, and will only need water or food on a day where he's drained away all his power.

shugyosha
2012-08-21, 06:48 PM
@shugyosha
Dagda Mor is a "caster" of sorts. So you're certainly not alone on the casting front.

Is psionics a spell like ability? Just want to know if Dweomercraft will affect Dagda Mor.

Starbin
2012-08-21, 06:50 PM
Let's see... first, I want to find a balance between grumpy and mean. Second, we still need to be functional as a team, so I'm hoping for banter with the right bit of bite

Third, I knew Vikcara was a girl<slaps head> ...I must have been thinking about someone else ... named... uh... Vickara... yeah, that's it!
:smallredface:

meemaas
2012-08-21, 06:52 PM
Psionics is considered spellcasting under Magic/Psionic transparency. Anything that'll effect a spell will effect a power too. Translation, if your ability will effect a spellcaster, it'll effect a psion too.

Dayaz
2012-08-21, 06:53 PM
you could always have him as snide/sarcastic instead of violently opposed to someone being cheerful lol... Not that I would mind if he stayed that way, it makes it interesting (and Geso wouldn't be hiding behind someone at all, nope)

EDIT: and for Shugyosha, Geso would be willing to help recharge that wand of yours if we're going to have time in between missions... y'know, if no one needs healing for a day when we are travelling to the next fight, he'd be will to cast some CLW into it ( I don't know how recharging wands works, but meh)

shugyosha
2012-08-21, 07:11 PM
I didn't think wands could be recharged. The rules never talk about it. Although it does make sense that they should be.

meemaas
2012-08-21, 07:15 PM
I don't believe wands can be recharged. There are rules for recharging a staff, but not a wand, so it stands to reason that without DM ruling on the subject, they can't be recharged.

shugyosha
2012-08-21, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I figure it should be a DM ruling. Although I see no logical reason it shouldn't occur... but then we are dealing with magic. So it doesn't need to be logical.

Dayaz
2012-08-21, 07:26 PM
then don't ever use the last charge and Geso might be willing to front some of the spells in the creation of a new one

EDIT: He will demand a payment. It must be paid... in SONG! lol

Basically, if we have time between encounters, if it won't drain his xp, he'll cast some CLW in a wand for you and all you gotta do is sing some songs

Down Comforter
2012-08-21, 07:50 PM
In regards to wands, I will allow recharging if wanted. However, you have to wait for it to run out of charges first and, if you do it yourself, you must possess the Craft Wand feat and make an appropriate Spellcraft check (as if creating a new wand).

Recharging a wand costs the same amount as making a whole new wand. If you pay someone else to do it, it costs the same amount as buying a whole new wand.

Dayaz
2012-08-21, 07:56 PM
...so to recharge her wand I would need the feat?

Down Comforter
2012-08-21, 07:59 PM
Yup. That's the price of magic items. Keep in mind that using all the charges does not count as "losing" the item, so there wouldn't be a will. It will just be fancy stick that you don't want to lose.

shugyosha
2012-08-21, 08:00 PM
I think that makes sense... or atleast fair. Otherwise wands become cheap spell storage with a capacity of 40 charges. Unlike staffs, which are expensive spell storage with 9 or so charges.

meemaas
2012-08-21, 08:01 PM
Any person can have the feat. It requires level three to take though, so until then we can't recharge it. On that end, The Dagda Mor would be willing to take the feat, i think i could see a reason for him to give Dorje's of Astral Construct to his allies who might be capable of passing the UMD check (AKA Vickara and maybe Geso) to allow for more loving summon support. And as for the transparency, while it would be Dorje's for his powers, he could still use the feat for wands as long as someone else supplies the spell while he does it.

shugyosha
2012-08-21, 08:04 PM
Both Geso and Vikcara can provide the spells.

meemaas
2012-08-21, 08:06 PM
Obviously he won't be paying to recharge the wand himself, but then, charging a wand should be a group effort, since the wand is to support the group.

Dayaz
2012-08-21, 08:16 PM
depending on how goes the group's encounters, I might apply for a cohort (via the feat of course) that would work as an off healer, so we could do it faster... Geso wouldn't be adverse to the feat, if only to put buffs in a wand he could use while healing, yeah. (wand of Bull's Strength ftw)

meemaas
2012-08-21, 08:18 PM
depending on how goes the group's encounters, I might apply for a cohort (via the feat of course) that would work as an off healer, so we could do it faster... Geso wouldn't be adverse to the feat, if only to put buffs in a wand he could use while healing, yeah. (wand of Bull's Strength ftw)

As with the cure wands, one person needs the feat, and he can do the crafting for others. If you want to take it, i won't.

Dayaz
2012-08-21, 08:26 PM
Lets wait til we're closer to level 3 to decide about who's taking the feat, cuz I don't wanna set myself on getting it and find out I actually need Extra Channel to keep everyone alive.

Starbin
2012-08-21, 09:11 PM
Well, Krog will probably not take the Craft wand feat... but I'll take Cleave, if it helps!

I will say that the bonus of these discussions is it helps me take a theoretical personality and mold it into something compatible for this game.

Dayaz
2012-08-21, 09:23 PM
Well, Krog will probably not take the Craft wand feat... but I'll take Cleave, if it helps!

I will say that the bonus of these discussions is it helps me take a theoretical personality and mold it into something compatible for this game.

which is always a good thing ^^

shugyosha
2012-08-21, 09:29 PM
I believe I have on Vikcara's sheet the feats I'm considering for her.

Dayaz
2012-08-21, 09:35 PM
*wanders off to look at her again*

EDIT
you do indeed. Let me gander at how I'm going to continue building Geso, but like I said, I don't want to commit to anything until I've got a few fights under our belts, so I can get a feel for our battles heh.

Frivolous
2012-08-21, 09:54 PM
Hit point recovery is a lot easier in Pathfinder than in 3.5, if you have a cleric available who channels positive energy.

I seriously doubt the wand's owner will need to expend many charges. But we were never guaranteed a cleric in the party, so I can't fault the choice to have the wand cast CLW.


If I may, I request that the players express character emotion through roleplay of facial expression, body language, or actual speech rather than thoughts.

I desire this because most characters don't have telepathy, so if someone narrates how his or her character thinks Grace is a jackass, I have no legitimate way to respond. It's all internal, you see.

On the other hand, a scowl or aggressive body language can be responded to.

Examples:

X: Grace is an overbearing jackass. I hate her and want her dead.

X scowled at Grace and put his hand on his dagger, drawing it an inch out of its sheath.

I hope the above request makes sense.

Dayaz
2012-08-21, 10:07 PM
just remember that not everyone shows what they feel/think, so if in example, and only example, if Geso wanted to slap grace for something, he could just do a Bluff or something and keep smiling at her and plan to hit her latter.

Frivolous
2012-08-21, 10:18 PM
just remember that not everyone shows what they feel/think, so if in example, and only example, if Geso wanted to slap grace for something, he could just do a Bluff or something and keep smiling at her and plan to hit her latter.

Understood.

Frivolous
2012-08-22, 07:44 AM
Hi, everyone. Um, I have to ask this question:

If I happened to discover what some might consider a medium flaw in how your character was written up, would you prefer that I keep it to myself, or that I mention it immediately so that it can be fixed as soon as possible?

In my case, I'd prefer to be told. But I'm a purist. Not everyone likes unsolicited advice.

Starbin
2012-08-22, 08:08 AM
Speak up! Or at least ask the question ... Unless it lowers MY power level!

:smallbiggrin:

Frivolous
2012-08-22, 08:35 AM
Thanks, Starbin.

I'll wait for the opinions of others before I decide whether to mention it or not.

Starbin
2012-08-22, 08:58 AM
If I may, I request that the players express character emotion through roleplay of facial expression, body language, or actual speech rather than thoughts.

I desire this because most characters don't have telepathy, so if someone narrates how his or her character thinks Grace is a jackass, I have no legitimate way to respond. It's all internal, you see.

On the other hand, a scowl or aggressive body language can be responded to.

Examples:

X: Grace is an overbearing jackass. I hate her and want her dead.

X scowled at Grace and put his hand on his dagger, drawing it an inch out of its sheath.

I hope the above request makes sense.

I agree with both you and Dayaz ... I see these board games as more of an opportunity to collaborate on a story, vice the pure RP interaction you get from a table-top. So, there's a time when it should be obvious, and there's a time when it's appropriate to be 'behind the scenes' as it were.

Ex.

As the group finally reached the end of their desert trek, the Dagda Mor swept past the others to drink from the single waterskin, almost draining it before tossing it at the others.

Grace scowled, fingering the tip of one of her arrows as she contemplated impaling the man where he stood.

Vikcara waved her fingers, humming to herself, then laughed aloud as the Dagda Mor leapt up, shocked from the jolt she had sent his way.

Krog stomped into the tent, glanced at the nearly empty waterskin and the obviously sated Dagda Mor and started towards the man with murder in his eye. "Dat's it! I'm done letting this clown live! I'm squeezing the water outta him!"

Geso stepped between the two, raising his hands up. "Wait! Look up there!" Krog stopped, glancing up, just in time for the aasimar to conjur water ... right above his head.

The Dagda Mor watched impassively, his hooded gaze gauging everyone's reaction. He released the breath he had been holding in silently, glad the cleric had once again served his purpose, acting true to norm. But would this always be the case?

That's just my perspective ...

shugyosha
2012-08-22, 09:40 AM
If I may, I request that the players express character emotion through roleplay of facial expression, body language, or actual speech rather than thoughts.

I desire this because most characters don't have telepathy, so if someone narrates how his or her character thinks Grace is a jackass, I have no legitimate way to respond. It's all internal, you see.

On the other hand, a scowl or aggressive body language can be responded to.


I tend to do both. My thought bubbles are used to provoke OOC discussion.

Although a friend of mine believes that thought bubbles are free game to use as the body or face will manifest something and the use of thought bubbles is short hand for not-advanced writer/gamers who just can't find a way to express themselves.

If someone wrote their character thought Vikcara was being a jackass, I would start backing off and assume that the player was getting annoyed at me.


Hi, everyone. Um, I have to ask this question:

If I happened to discover what some might consider a medium flaw in how your character was written up, would you prefer that I keep it to myself, or that I mention it immediately so that it can be fixed as soon as possible?

In my case, I'd prefer to be told. But I'm a purist. Not everyone likes unsolicited advice.

Yeah, I've found myself in that position. I usually ask them about it in OOC thread. 50% of the time it ends up being something I never thought of. Although I didn't do it one time because the player in question didn't get along with me so I just kept my mouth shut for the sake of group cohesion.

For myself I'm find if you tell me.

Frivolous
2012-08-22, 09:59 AM
If someone wrote their character thought Vikcara was being a jackass, I would start backing off and assume that the player was getting annoyed at me.

I would assume the same thing, which is one reason why I am leery of thought bubbles. The uncertainty.


Yeah, I've found myself in that position. I usually ask them about it in OOC thread. 50% of the time it ends up being something I never thought of. Although I didn't do it one time because the player in question didn't get along with me so I just kept my mouth shut for the sake of group cohesion.

For myself I'm find if you tell me.

Thank you.

meemaas
2012-08-22, 10:29 AM
If its a mistake on my sheet by all means tell me.

Down Comforter
2012-08-22, 11:30 AM
It looks like everyone here is awake and alive. I'll try to get the IC thread up this afternoon.

Frivolous
2012-08-22, 11:45 AM
Cool. I'd love to start, too.

Down Comforter, if you want me to mention the discrepancy I noticed, I can do so without waiting for consensus, since you're the DM and all.

Down Comforter
2012-08-22, 12:22 PM
I'd rather you talk with the player before mentioning it to me. If it doesn't get fixed, let me know.

Down Comforter
2012-08-22, 05:16 PM
IC Thread is up here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253501).

Take the time to describe your character, what you look like, how you act and so forth.

Frivolous
2012-08-22, 09:28 PM
Talked it over with the player in question. I understand that player's viewpoint now.


In the distant haze to the West, you can just make out the immense outline of Pale Mountain looming over the mid-evening horizon like a tombstone. The quickly cooling air is refreshing after the heat of the day as your camels plod ever onwards.

Down Comforter, can you please confirm that we're traveling at night and we have been traveling mostly at night this entire time?

That is really the ideal way to travel in a high temperature environment anyway.

I ask because the first two posts by players seem to indicate the sun is shining, and I'm wondering if I'm misreading or if they are.

Dayaz
2012-08-22, 10:07 PM
I'd have to look at everyone's sheets again, but I THINK Geso's the only one with Darkvision, so traveling at night could be pretty bad >.>

Plus, other than thirst (Which Geso kinda trumps completely, yeah?), the only thing we should be worried about is over-exposure, and if we're from the desert environment we know how to avoid that. Modern and past humans in rl travel through the desert by day all the time and as long as they're careful they're fine.

I just figured that the sun was starting to set or something, and meant to make Geso enjoying the final bit of sunlight before nightfall.

Starbin
2012-08-22, 11:28 PM
Two of us have Darkvision, but I could see us still traveling by day (comfort factor). I'll post tomorrow ...

Down Comforter
2012-08-22, 11:43 PM
Mid-evening. Soon before dusk

Edit: Just in case it comes up, I will be using fast XP progression for this AP, since it's based on 3.5. So 1,300xp for second level.

Frivolous
2012-08-24, 02:12 PM
Down Comforter, may I respectfully ask if it would not be simpler if you rolled all initiative rolls yourself?

After all, there is no decision involved in inits.

Down Comforter
2012-08-24, 02:16 PM
I don't always have access to myth-weavers and the related info, such as when I'm on my work machine, so I would prefer that everyone roll their own.

Edit: Since I probably added the roll for initiative while you were in the middle of your post, just go ahead and do the roll here in the OOC.

Frivolous
2012-08-24, 02:29 PM
Heh, too late, I already did it in the IC thread. Sorry. :smallsmile:

If you can't read Myth-Weavers or the other sheet-hosting sites, perhaps it would be enough if one of us (such as myself) posts the initiative modifiers here?

I have no problem reading those sites here at home.

The Dagda Mor: +6
Geso: +1
Grace: +3
Krog: +2
Vickara: +2

Edit: Hope I'm not being a bother, just trying to make things easier for the hard-working DM. :smallsmile:

Down Comforter
2012-08-24, 02:34 PM
Wouldn't all that effort by one person be more than if everyone just posted their own initiatives? In general, if they're not hidden rolls, you all roll 'em

Frivolous
2012-08-24, 02:37 PM
Takes longer.

What I usually do for rolls I intend to use often is I put the code for them in a notepad file so I can just copy/paste to the GitP site.

Like this:



Initiative

Dagda Mor: [roll0]

Geso: [roll1]

Grace: [roll2]

Krog: [roll3]

Vickara: [roll4]



Edit: What I meant by takes longer is that it can take over a day for everyone to roll his or her initiative.

It can be even worse like on a weekend.

Edit #2: But if you don't feel the method I've described is worth doing, I'll stop talking about it. You're the DM after all.

Frivolous
2012-08-24, 02:46 PM
Dayaz: If you use Preview on a dice roll on GitP, it doesn't work. You have to press Submit the very first time.

I think the same thing happens if you try to edit in a new roll. It doesn't work.

That's one of the reasons why I eventually came up with the idea of just copy/pasting regular rolls. It was too much hassle writing down the code for each roll and getting it right each time.

That particular problem is also why there is a Dice Roll Test thread in the Dice Roll subforum. I test out stuff there before I use it on a game thread. Especially when rolling stats.

Down Comforter
2012-08-24, 02:48 PM
It's a point made. I'll think about it.

Oh. And the AP is weird and calls the priest a halfling, but he's actually an old man. I'll fix my post. Also, Channel Energy gets to bonus from stats that I can see.

Starbin
2012-08-24, 03:18 PM
Kids got out of school early, so I'll post later. Are we still rolling our own init? If so :[roll0]

Dayaz
2012-08-24, 10:02 PM
I guess I'll throw up my Init

[roll0]

Frivolous
2012-08-25, 12:10 AM
I guess I'll throw up my Init

[roll0]

But you already rolled init in the IC thread, right? :smallconfused:

Shugyosha, if you don't mind, you need to roll init for Vikcara. I don't see a roll yet.

shugyosha
2012-08-25, 09:21 AM
init

[roll0]

Down Comforter
2012-08-26, 12:34 AM
@Dayaz
You already acted once this round, so you can still summon the water after Starbin and Shugyosha act next if you'd like. As it is, we just have your healing.

Also, I'll update my post once checks come in. Then we can start the second round.

Dayaz
2012-08-26, 12:42 AM
ok... I just figured since you had the Old Priest specifically tell me to run off and do something it was cool

Just count that as my next post then *shrugs* I'll copy-paste it into a new post later and edit out the other one

Frivolous
2012-08-26, 12:50 AM
Sorry, forgot to add in the Will save for the Lullaby cantrip.


Will save: [roll0]

Down Comforter
2012-08-26, 12:52 AM
Will saves are my territory :smallbiggrin:

I already rolled it for everyone.

Edit: You don't have any favored class bonus? If so, just let me know what you took for first level. If you don't feel that Handle Animal fits, you can still use Wild Empathy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger#TOC-Wild-Empathy-Ex-), but that takes at least a minute.

Frivolous
2012-08-26, 12:55 AM
Oh, I see. All right.

Down Comforter, please let me know at what point I can put in the last skill rank, the one I forgot to add in for the Favored Class rule.

I almost never pick +1 hit points on the rare occasions I get to play Pathfinder. Just once so far in about 6 plus games.

Frivolous
2012-08-26, 01:09 AM
Will saves are my territory :smallbiggrin:

I already rolled it for everyone.

Edit: You don't have any favored class bonus? If so, just let me know what you took for first level. If you don't feel that Handle Animal fits, you can still use Wild Empathy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger#TOC-Wild-Empathy-Ex-), but that takes at least a minute.

I play a lot more 3.5 than I do Pathfinder, and I keep forgetting all the extra bonuses PF has that 3.5 does not. That's why I forgot the favored class bonus.

I could roll for Wild Empathy, but as you mentioned, it takes 1 minute, and also it doesn't really do anything but improve the attitude of the animal to the ranger by one degree.

So unless you equate "friendlier" with "less likely to panic and scatter", I didn't think it would work to calm the animals.

My other doubt is that it seemed, Read As Written, to work on only one animal at a time.

Please let me know if your interpretation as DM is different from my own.

Grace should have 10 skill ranks: 6 for her ranger class level, 1 for her being human, 2 for being Intelligence 14, and the last 1 for her favored class bonus.

She presently has skill ranks in only 9 skills: Climb, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (Geography), Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Religion), Perception, Stealth and Survival.

I figured that since Charisma is her lowest stat, I'd pick Handle Animal up at 2nd level.

Down Comforter
2012-08-26, 01:18 AM
It would only work on one animal at a time and I'd allow it to calm them. You can take the +1 skill point from the favored class bonus, I'm fine with that. I'm presently putting everyone into Hero Lab to make life a bit easier.

Frivolous
2012-08-26, 01:21 AM
Pardon me, but Hero Lab?

Also, when can I put in the Handle Animal skill?

And if I can put in Handle Animal in this very scene, on which round can Grace use it?

Down Comforter
2012-08-26, 01:24 AM
You can go ahead and add it now and use it this round. I don't fault forgetfulness or lack of knowledge about certain rules. It's a program that let's me keep all your character sheets and makes combat/modifiers/management much easier.

@Shugyosha
Just re-looked over your sheet. You have an unused skill rank and you have too many spells. You should only have four according to my builder and Jolt isn't on the Bard spell list. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Frivolous
2012-08-26, 01:28 AM
Thanks. Making the changes now.

shugyosha
2012-08-26, 09:41 AM
@Shugyosha
Just re-looked over your sheet. You have an unused skill rank and you have too many spells. You should only have four according to my builder and Jolt isn't on the Bard spell list. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Jolt is from Two World Magic trait
An extra cantrip is from favored class option for humans

why is everyone affected by lullaby? It is only a 10 ft burst. Is the animal enclosure smaller than that?

Down Comforter
2012-08-26, 11:05 AM
Just making sure on the first bit. My bad on the second. I was sleep-deprived last night and swapped the range for the area. Going back to bed now.

Frivolous
2012-08-27, 12:40 PM
Abject humiliation. :smallredface: :smallbiggrin:

Poor Grace. She thought she'd be the Gnoll Slayer, but instead she's failing to be Little Bo Peep.

Starbin
2012-08-27, 03:28 PM
Oh, it's not really embarrasing until you roll crappy for your specialty ... y'all can laugh at Krog all day if he can't herd cats or draw calligraphy; but when he starts missing on a regular basis in combat, then he'll start to feel bad.

Just remember, the Forum Dice Gods Hate You ... once you understand that, you'll be much happier!

Frivolous
2012-08-27, 11:07 PM
I guess we need to wait for posts by the others, yes?

Geso, Vikcara and the Dagda Mor haven't acted yet this round, I think.

meemaas
2012-08-28, 11:16 AM
I'd like to request that I do not receive pm's from anyone but the dm if they feel I have not posted enough. I do work a full time job and i cannot and do not post in in character threads from my phone. Only from home when I don't collapse and pass out as soon as i get home.

Down Comforter
2012-08-28, 12:12 PM
I don't know why you'd be getting PM's, you posted last night.

I will reiterate what meemaas said though. If anyone has issues with anyone's playstyle or posting, either politely talk about it here in the OOC or contact me.

meemaas
2012-08-28, 12:16 PM
I did not post last night because I passed out. I was responding to a pm from someone I will not nane. I tried responding then, but my browser crashed.

Down Comforter
2012-08-28, 12:25 PM
Eh, I'm not good with dates. Don't worry about it, I'll contact anyone I think might have forgotten about us.

shugyosha
2012-08-29, 10:34 AM
speaking of forgotten, where is our endless supply of water (Geso).

Dayaz
2012-08-29, 02:59 PM
I had jumped a turn by mistake... I told the dm to count my water spell as my action for round 2 *shrugs*

Down Comforter
2012-08-30, 04:46 PM
Sorry about the delay guys. It's been a very busy week but I'm on top of it now.

Frivolous
2012-08-30, 10:34 PM
Whaddaya know? I finally succeeded, and I even got a natural 20.

Prayer does work! :smallbiggrin:

meemaas
2012-09-02, 10:42 PM
Did this game die?

shugyosha
2012-09-02, 10:51 PM
I hope not. But it hasn't been a week since the last IC post and it is a long weekend.

Frivolous
2012-09-03, 10:21 AM
Pardon me, but long weekend?

I really hope the game doesn't die. I'll be very disappointed if it does.

Starbin
2012-09-03, 11:36 AM
Yes, in the US it's Labor day weekend ... Typically the last hurrah of the summer. Most folks get a 3-day weekend; some take 4 days.

Down Comforter
2012-09-04, 05:09 AM
Yeah I apologize for not being here. Girlfriend surprised me with a trip out of the country. I'll be sure to post at least once a day, as we finally got here at about 4 this morning.

Starbin
2012-09-04, 09:41 AM
Real Life trumps game play ... almost every time :smallwink:

Enjoy your vacation and catch up when you can!

Frivolous
2012-09-04, 10:41 AM
No problem, Down Comforter. I just hope you had a good time with your girlfriend.

Welcome back.

meemaas
2012-09-04, 09:41 PM
I will admit i had no idea it was Labor day weekend. I work in one of those businesses where the only holidays that matter are black friday, thanksgiving, and christmas...and i get none of them off.

Frivolous
2012-09-05, 12:17 PM
Welcome back, Dayaz.

Down Comforter
2012-09-07, 04:35 PM
Hey folks, I'm really sorry but I need to put the game on hold until Wednesday. I've been remoting into my desktop machine at home, but it seems it shut itself down and I won't have access to my books or notes until I get home. Again, sorry for the delay.

Frivolous
2012-09-07, 05:48 PM
Hey folks, I'm really sorry but I need to put the game on hold until Wednesday. I've been remoting into my desktop machine at home, but it seems it shut itself down and I won't have access to my books or notes until I get home. Again, sorry for the delay.

I can wait until Wednesday. Too bad about your computer, DC. Hope you fix it soon.

Oh, and thank you for telling us about the delay. I've been with DMs who neglected to do so until I started to think they had just disappeared.

I do hope you aren't planning on quitting.

Down Comforter
2012-09-07, 06:41 PM
Not at all. Legacy of Fire is one of my favorites and I'm leaving my job in a month, so lots of free time.

Frivolous
2012-09-07, 06:45 PM
Not at all. Legacy of Fire is one of my favorites and I'm leaving my job in a month, so lots of free time.

Ouch. I'd be sorry to read that, but you seem happy about leaving your job.

Better job offer, I hope?

Edit: Please don't answer unless you want to; I am just expressing concern on your behalf. :smallsmile:

shugyosha
2012-09-07, 11:01 PM
Actually, thanks for checking in and keep us in the loop. I really appreciate that.

Starbin
2012-09-10, 08:38 PM
I'm still around, but see my sig. Hope y'all aren't waiting on me for anything!

shugyosha
2012-09-10, 08:50 PM
just waiting for the GM to pick things up when he can.

meemaas
2012-09-10, 09:10 PM
I'm clinically dead. My funeral is scheduled for the 31st of February. In the meanwhile i'll continue to play from the afterlife XD.

Starbin
2012-09-10, 09:17 PM
Excellent ... Meemas, expect flowers the day after yesterday.

meemaas
2012-09-10, 09:18 PM
"You died and became a ghost in twelve minutes"

Frivolous
2012-09-12, 08:46 AM
Down Comforter should be back today. He said he'd be gone until Wednesday.

Hope he does come back. Pleeeaasse.

Down Comforter
2012-09-13, 12:33 PM
I'm back! Updated the IC thread.

shugyosha
2012-09-13, 12:46 PM
Yea! Glad to have you back

Frivolous
2012-09-13, 12:54 PM
Yay! Thanks for coming back, DC. :smallsmile:

Starbin
2012-09-13, 02:02 PM
For the record, Krog wasn't necessarily going over to the figure Vicky saw ... he was more going for target of opportunity, i.e., the closest, most suspicious looking person. I suppose they could be the same guy, but I just so want to avoid the whole "good cop, bizarre cop" episode that our rapid-fire posts may generate.

Frivolous
2012-09-13, 02:04 PM
My rolls in this game so far really suck. Even in a skill I have ability bonuses and a rank in. :)

Starbin
2012-09-13, 02:14 PM
For the record, Krog wasn't necessarily going over to the figure Vicky saw ... he was more going for target of opportunity, i.e., the closest, most suspicious looking person. I suppose they could be the same guy, but I just so want to avoid the whole "good cop, bizarre cop" episode that our rapid-fire posts may generate.

... and nevermind ... looks like we're doing that.

Down Comforter
2012-09-13, 02:15 PM
Oh, I'll keep a running tally of the current XP of the party on the first post to make it easier for everyone to find.

100/1300 after successfully putting out the fire.

Down Comforter
2012-09-13, 02:34 PM
@Starbin
He seems to be telling the truth.

Dayaz
2012-09-15, 12:53 AM
Geso is trying to convince some nearby people to tell him some info... would that be Gather information, or Diplomacy?

Frivolous
2012-09-15, 02:46 AM
Geso is trying to convince some nearby people to tell him some info... would that be Gather information, or Diplomacy?

*says in a deep growling voice* There is no Gather Information. There is only Diplomacy in Pathfinder.

Down Comforter
2012-09-16, 12:06 PM
Frivolous is correct in that regard.

However, you'll have to actually speak to people rather than just gathering information through a check. People you can talk to are:

Almah
Garavel
The Priest
Dashki
The Mercenaries
The Bodyguard
The camel drivers

Down Comforter
2012-09-17, 04:01 PM
@Frivolous
Perception check, please.

Frivolous
2012-09-17, 09:42 PM
Perception: [roll0]

Starbin
2012-09-19, 02:21 PM
Heh ... friendlier members ... heh ...

The walking faux pas and the drunken 'investigator' make for a GREAT set of snoopers. Throw in the DM and we have 'Bad Cop, Worse Cop, Not even sure he's a cop!'

Down Comforter
2012-09-20, 04:25 PM
@Starbin
You sure Krog is CG and not CN?

Starbin
2012-09-20, 04:43 PM
Well, he hasn't actually killed the guy, right? Right now it's all talk. :smallbiggrin: I've met plenty of people who talk smack, but when push comes to shove, things change.

Now, from his perspective, he thinks this guy is an a$$ ("Hello pot, my name is kettle!") and wonders if he isn't a little guilty. Grabbing a hilt and calling names, however, definitely changed the dynamic. I don't plan on Krog cutting anyone down, if that's what you're worried about ... but he might beat him with the flat of his blade if our resident gnoll-expert pushes it.

Am I coming off too strong for the drunk of a barbarian who has a self-image issue? :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Seriously, if I'm darkening the game too much, I'll lighten up if you like ...

Down Comforter
2012-09-20, 04:47 PM
It's perfectly fine. Just wanted a warning that killing the scout might be cause for an alignment change :smalltongue:

Starbin
2012-09-25, 12:50 PM
For the record, based on their 'relationship' to gnoll's, you may have heard of them before ... or maybe not. I haven't rolled a KS to see if Krog knows about them, but OOC, the link is REDACTED for pugwampis.

Frivolous
2012-09-25, 12:54 PM
Oh interesting. I thought Krog had used an orcish word for gnolls, but I really didn't know for sure.

I'm going to roleplay Grace as being ignorant, if it's all the same to everyone.

Starbin
2012-09-25, 01:14 PM
Nope ... he was just repeating what Dashki said. If he doesn't know what it is, he won't admit it by saying that to the others, even if they look at him strangely.

:smallbiggrin:

Down Comforter
2012-09-25, 01:25 PM
:smallannoyed:
There goes my reveal.

Frivolous
2012-09-25, 01:29 PM
Oh sorry, DC. I didn't know it was like that.

Sorry.

Starbin
2012-09-25, 01:58 PM
Ooops ... :smallredface: guess I just lost some xp. Hopefully everyone will scratch that ... link removed ...

Starbin
2012-09-27, 02:12 PM
If I could make two comments, before we get completely chewed by Garavel.
1) I guess I didn't realize that he was still standing there while we talked with one another and figured out a plan ahead ... I thought he had gone about his business - even Krog would consider it bad form to talk 'private shop' in front of the 'boss.'

2) I'm guessing that DM was referring to the whole pugwampi thing, not the goat (but that's just a guess).

That being said, let me know if Garavel still acts like that ... it will color how Krog goes about his business. Especially since I'm guessing we weren't hired to be super sleuths! :smallsmile:

Down Comforter
2012-09-28, 12:16 PM
He never walked off, but okay. We'll assume he wandered off while you were discussing your plan, but overheard the hunting for pugwampis and the drinking bit :smalltongue:

Down Comforter
2012-09-28, 12:55 PM
Whoopsie. It's not my fault all half-orcs are named the same. :smallbiggrin: /fantasy racism

Starbin
2012-09-28, 01:01 PM
No worries ... one's a hulking, drunken barbarian, and the other is a weird oracle, haunted by his family ... totally honest mistake :smalltongue:

I just remembered the other character from the group divvying ... I expect it will happen more than once, so no worries :smallbiggrin:

Starbin
2012-09-29, 11:50 AM
Dang roller and forum posting delay! Survival: [roll0]

Down Comforter
2012-10-01, 12:30 PM
@Grace
There are imprints of toes, with a stride matching that of a very small bipedal creature. Your knowledge check reveals that it looks similar to a canine, with a lope similar to the backwards joints of the gnolls you are used to hunting. You successfully follow the trail to the edge of the camp, where it is joined by another pair of tracks that are easily recognizable. A goats.

Frivolous
2012-10-01, 12:47 PM
In case it matters, I have no OOC problem with Krog going back to the camp with Grace against her wishes.

It just seems practical to leave someone standing where she last saw the tracks, but Grace's actions won't change if Krog doesn't want to be used as a talking track marker. :smallbiggrin:

Down Comforter
2012-10-01, 02:50 PM
Just as a note, Dayaz got in touch with me and said he would be unavailable for a bit, so I will be NPCing him. Just assume Geso has been helping clean up around camp.

Starbin
2012-10-01, 04:34 PM
In case it matters, I have no OOC problem with Krog going back to the camp with Grace against her wishes.

It just seems practical to leave someone standing where she last saw the tracks, but Grace's actions won't change if Krog doesn't want to be used as a talking track marker. :smallbiggrin:

No worries ... he really doesn't have anything else to do :smallsmile:

Frivolous
2012-10-06, 09:47 AM
I guess it may take a while before everyone notices the forum is back. :smallwink:

Down Comforter
2012-10-07, 11:45 PM
I was surprised the "one day, maybe longer" was, what? 3/4 days?

Starbin
2012-10-08, 09:09 AM
There's a post that addressed it on the main forums. Bummer is that we lost the search function, but the forums are supposed to be more stable. So let's press!

Krog (aka Scrag II, Electric Boogaloo) is waiting patiently ... apparently for the one person in this camp that he's earned a bloodless fued with! Whee!

Frivolous
2012-10-12, 04:15 PM
If anyone would care to take over the asking-questions thing, please feel free to do so.

It makes me uncomfortable to post so much more than anyone else. Makes me feel like I'm vain or something. :smallsmile:

Down Comforter
2012-10-16, 01:48 AM
Checking to make sure everyone is alive. Sorry for the slow updates, I'm back in my groove now and will update in the morning.

Frivolous
2012-10-16, 04:01 AM
I'm here. And clearly Starbin and shugyosha are here, too.

Thanks for coming back, DC. :smallsmile:

shugyosha
2012-10-16, 08:05 AM
Frivolous, your doing fine. I hogged up band with talking to the lady.

Frivolous
2012-10-16, 08:58 AM
Frivolous, your doing fine. I hogged up band with talking to the lady.

Possibly... But I only feel bad when I'm hogging, not when others are. :smallsmile:

I think it's great when other people do a lot of posting, because it means the game is healthy (or at least healthier).

Starbin
2012-10-16, 09:20 AM
Whee ... game on. Too bad our last character is still absent ...

meemaas
2012-10-16, 11:35 AM
I'm not absent. The Dagda Mor is a creature of action. Not much of a conversationalist.

Starbin
2012-10-16, 11:55 AM
I meant dayaz :smallsmile:

shugyosha
2012-10-16, 12:27 PM
Yeah what happened to Gezo our band-aid... I mean cleric. Should someone PM him?

Down Comforter
2012-10-17, 12:53 AM
And I've been having trouble with the site for the past couple days... This is the first time where I haven't gotten a site error when trying to post from my pc.

@Grace
It's mostly firm ground, but you succeed easily enough taking 10 with Dashki aiding you.

Frivolous
2012-10-17, 11:31 AM
I copy all my big posts to a text file before I submit anything. That way if something goes very wrong my post is saved and I don't have to type it out all over again.

Down Comforter
2012-10-18, 01:00 AM
@meemaas
Astral Construct at level one only allows you to pick one ability to add. You can add two from a lower-level list but you can only use the first menu. If I'm incorrect, do point me to what I'm missing. I'm still loose on psionics.

Also, the construct (and everyone else) will need to make acrobatics checks to move through the cacti field, moving at half speed or full speed at -5. You can just charge through if you're fine with taking the damage though.

@Frivolous
Anything within the cacti field has partial cover, due to the density of the plants. Just an FYI

meemaas
2012-10-18, 07:50 AM
I have the boost construct feat. It allows me to choose an extra menu option. At second level ill be able to choose three. I gave it the +10 move speed to ensure it could get tthrough the difficult terrain, but didn't realize it would need an acrobatics check.

So here's a roll. [roll0]

Starbin
2012-10-18, 09:43 AM
I'm guessing that Krog's perception checks are coming up nil - I just haven't seen any specific responses, so wasn't sure if he's just blind, or there's nothing to see ...

Also, does DM have to make the cloak weave itself through the cactus, or could it just swoop up and over? Also, how tall/high are these cactii?

Frivolous
2012-10-18, 11:11 AM
@Frivolous
Anything within the cacti field has partial cover, due to the density of the plants. Just an FYI

I figured.

And I also figure that anything too near the goat will be +4 to its AC because Grace doesn't want to hit the goat.

meemaas
2012-10-18, 11:28 AM
I could have made my construct fly over, but i wanted it to look like we were the ones coming for it, so the ambush would be sprung on the construct.

Starbin
2012-10-18, 12:04 PM
I could have made my construct fly over, but i wanted it to look like we were the ones coming for it, so the ambush would be sprung on the construct.

Ah, gotcha ... that makes sense.

Down Comforter
2012-10-18, 02:21 PM
@Starbin
Sorry about not being specific. Dashki's comment on their ability to hide is pretty much dead on. You don't see them at all.

Also, these are big saguaro-style cacti. Average about eight feet tall.

@meemaas
Sorry about that, skipped over that feat when I looked at your sheet.

Starbin
2012-10-18, 02:33 PM
@Starbin
Sorry about not being specific. Dashki's comment on their ability to hide is pretty much dead on. You don't see them at all.

Also, these are big saguaro-style cacti. Average about eight feet tall.

No worries ... sneaky little bastiches ... guess we'll see if DM's gambit works.

Down Comforter
2012-10-18, 02:36 PM
Also, starting from now until I let know when to stop, please roll two d20's each time you would normally roll one and take the lowest result.

Frivolous
2012-10-18, 02:55 PM
Also, starting from now until I let know when to stop, please roll two d20's each time you would normally roll one and take the lowest result.

Pardon me, Down Comforter, but to whom was that instruction directed?

Is it to all of us, or just meemass?

Down Comforter
2012-10-18, 03:10 PM
That was to everyone.

@meemaas
The acrobatics check is to avoid being pricked by the cacti. You can make an acrobatics check to move through the field at half speed or at full speed with a -5 to the check.

meemaas
2012-10-18, 04:13 PM
Half speed at forty foot base move should be enough to get the AC through to the goat.

[roll0]

Down Comforter
2012-10-18, 04:38 PM
Initiative rolls: (remember, all d20's are rolled twice and the worse result taken)
Krog
[roll0]
Vikcara
[roll1]
Dagda
[roll2]
Grace
[roll3]
Geso
[roll4]

Initiative order will be:
Grace
Pugwampi
Geso
Dagda
Krog
Vikcara

Down Comforter
2012-10-18, 04:45 PM
I'll have a map up, one sec while I get it set up.

shugyosha
2012-10-18, 11:02 PM
Are we doing block init or will I have wait for everyone else before me?

Down Comforter
2012-10-19, 01:58 AM
We can go ahead and try the block init. Just please add what round it is at the top or bottom of your post so I make sure everyone gets in.

Frivolous
2012-10-19, 11:49 PM
Hi, Down Comforter. I am a little confused.

You mentioned we have to roll twice for each d20, right? I rolled twice for the shortbow attack. I got 11 and 24.

I am guessing we would have gotten the worse of each roll, so how did Grace hit? The 11 was very bad, especially given all the circumstance modifiers.

I'm not complaining, exactly. I just don't know how we won. :smallsmile:

Down Comforter
2012-10-20, 12:01 AM
The copy of the AP I have gave the incorrect listing for the aura that requires you to roll twice. You weren't actually affected by it as described in the text and the map, so I just took your first roll and rolled confirmation myself, giving you a crit. So yeah, you killed it just fine :smallsmile:

Frivolous
2012-10-20, 12:22 AM
I see. Thank you, DC.

shugyosha: FYI, each caster can have only one Light spell working at a time.

So if you cast another Light, the one on Grace's armor stops. Which may not be your intention. :smallsmile:

shugyosha
2012-10-20, 12:26 AM
Ah, yes. But that's not going to matter too much as our problem is the concealment due to darkness and that 20% chance to miss.

Frivolous
2012-10-20, 11:21 PM
Well, drat. I only got a 6 on the Acrobatics roll for Grace.

meemaas
2012-10-22, 10:04 PM
The Dagda Mor is just gonna tag behind you guys quietly. I'm too tired to really post much, and am pushing just so i don't seem like i'm ignoring you guys

Frivolous
2012-10-23, 08:42 AM
Hope you have more energy soon, meemaas. :smallfrown:

In other news, "I had my hands full with the goat," is not something I ever thought I'd communicate. :smallsmile:

Frivolous
2012-10-24, 11:01 AM
Down Comforter: Now that we're near to finishing the first scene (or so I guess, as this is my first time to play Legacy of Fire), would you be trying to recruit a replacement player for dayaz?

I ask in part because I noticed that group I has fallen silent.

Down Comforter
2012-10-24, 04:21 PM
Probably. I'll talk with some people in Group I who didn't die out and see if any of them wish to join.

shugyosha
2012-10-24, 04:30 PM
yeah, a healer would be nice.

meemaas
2012-10-24, 04:31 PM
Failing that, i have a buddy who would probably be interested in being a party band-aid. Well, he's always interested in new games, and he's a much more reliable poster than most.

Starbin
2012-10-24, 04:52 PM
SWEET XP!

Now, I'm not sure I'm willing for Scrag to be in our group ... too much competition for the mantle of Group Half-Orc, and too much confusion when our names keep getting swapped!

Down Comforter
2012-10-24, 09:28 PM
Whoops, I got Scrag. :smalltongue:
I don't think Krog has to worry though, he's got the drunken half-orc bit to himself.

meemaas
2012-10-24, 09:32 PM
I figured it'd be Scrag we got. Looking at their IC, his accent looks really painful.

Down Comforter
2012-10-24, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I'll have him turn it down a notch.

Starbin
2012-10-25, 08:55 AM
Whoops, I got Scrag. :smalltongue:
I don't think Krog has to worry though, he's got the drunken half-orc bit to himself.

Yeah, it was a foregone conclusion that Scrag and Krog would end up together again, for the first time! Or something ...

No worries on my part ... game on!

Frivolous
2012-10-25, 11:29 AM
I'd be happy if we got any player who could bring a fun character and who could be reliable in the game.

I feel that persistence is more important than the class of any new player we get.

meemaas
2012-10-25, 11:31 AM
I can vouch for Scrag's player. He trudged on even through a campaign that quite frankly sucked hardcore for two months, and is by far one of my favorite players to work with.

shugyosha
2012-10-25, 11:33 AM
Player endorsements are the best.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-25, 09:56 PM
I can vouch for Scrag's player. He trudged on even through a campaign that quite frankly sucked hardcore for two months, and is by far one of my favorite players to work with.

Yay I am LOVED! Btw... Allanon ftw (I named one of my character's Brin though she doesn't have the wishsong) I will tone down the accent to a bearable degree and no worries about me taking over the half orcness (it will be nice to have someone to converse with in a civilized language... yes quite) As for a colour.... Green will do

Down Comforter
2012-10-25, 10:06 PM
Sadly, Frivolous has already claimed Green.

meemaas
2012-10-25, 10:08 PM
There's two people in here that recognize my characters name. YAY!!! Also, yea, Allanon was my favorite of the druids.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-25, 10:14 PM
I am a hardcore Terry Brooks fan, I own almost all the Shannara books (except for the newest after gypsie morph), all of the Knight of the Word and almost all of the Landover series. Blarg I thought I looked at everyone's colours... then Slate Gray...?

meemaas
2012-10-25, 10:17 PM
I've got every single one of his shannara series, word and the void, and landover series in ebook form, including the brad new one, dark legacy of shannara. I knew i liked you for a reason. You are literally the only person i've ever met to be caught up on the series like i am. Sadly, the countdown still remains for March.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-25, 10:25 PM
Hmmmm now when i think about i could totally refluff Lucinda into Grianne Ohmsford... DAMMIT! It works so well! She doesn't have any fire spells... but meh I can always pick one up from a scroll

meemaas
2012-10-25, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't have any problems with that, although that would go counter to your original plans with the tarot cards.

Starbin
2012-10-25, 10:41 PM
I'm a fan <pout>

I like Allanon <sniff>

I think the fold-out picture of the heroes in The Sword of Shannara is one of my fav pics of all times.

meemaas
2012-10-25, 10:43 PM
I remembered that Starbin. You said you weren't as caught up on it though.

Starbin
2012-10-25, 10:55 PM
Well, perhaps not as freakishly as y'all :smallsmile:

meemaas
2012-10-25, 10:56 PM
Word to the wise, an electronic book reader is one of the best investments you can make if you're a big reader.

Starbin
2012-10-26, 12:45 PM
For the record, Krog reacted as if Vikcara only said what was in the purple ... not the entire thing - that's why he reacted the way he did. If Vikcara actually told them everything that was said, well that's a different response ...

Frivolous
2012-10-26, 12:52 PM
As for Grace, I assumed she would approach Almah directly, if only because she wanted a better look at the dead pugwampi and ask if the critter had had any useful treasure on it.

I'm willing to redact my earlier IC post if she is not to know that the monastery is of Sarenrae's clerics.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-26, 01:00 PM
Just give me a heads up when you want me to jump in oh mighty GM!

Down Comforter
2012-10-26, 05:24 PM
Should be a good enough time to hop in, Morbis.

Down Comforter
2012-10-31, 05:15 PM
When Vikcara browses Father Zastoran's wares, she notices that he has the following in stock:


Cure Light Wounds
Cure Moderate Wounds
Delay Poison
Lesser Restoration
Nonmagical Holy Water

Starbin
2012-10-31, 05:51 PM
{table=head]Potion|Cost
Cure Light Wounds|25gp
Cure Moderate Wounds|150gp
Delay Poison|150gp
Lesser Restoration|150gp
Nonmagical Holy Water|12gp, 5sp[/table]

So the question is ... what do we wish to use the gold for, and which of these can our group provide?

Also, DC - was that 200gp per person, or as a group?

Down Comforter
2012-10-31, 06:15 PM
That's 200gp per person.

shugyosha
2012-10-31, 06:51 PM
Vikcara has 6 CLW.
Do we have anyone who can cast CLW?

meemaas
2012-10-31, 06:54 PM
Scrag can, and at fifth level, since i was mistaken about craft wand at 3rd, we're going to have a wand crafter in the party in the form of the Dagda Mor.

shugyosha
2012-10-31, 06:55 PM
5th level?... okay that is a no for now.

meemaas
2012-10-31, 07:00 PM
Well i never said right away. I just mentioned it for information's sake. Having officially decided on it and all.

Starbin
2012-11-01, 10:16 AM
Well, everyone spend it on what they want, but w/o a poison healer, or restore-er, we might want to consider purchasing some of those.

Krog will purchase a Lessor Restoration and two holy waters (175gps, total).

Frivolous
2012-11-01, 12:14 PM
Down Comforter: I thought we would be paid 200 gp only -after- we secured the monastery for Lady Almah.

Do you mean we get paid the 200 already?

Starbin
2012-11-01, 12:25 PM
I vote that you are paid afterwards, and the rest of us get it now :smalltongue:

Down Comforter
2012-11-01, 04:32 PM
You've all been given the 200gp for dealing with the fire and Pugwampi, in addition to the promise of clearing the monastery. Though if you prefer, she can just keep it as credit so you don't have to carry it.

Frivolous
2012-11-01, 09:28 PM
If you would permit, then, Grace would purchase 1 potion of Delay Poison, 2 potions of CLW, and 2 vials of holy water before they departed from the camp.

That would cost a total of 225 gp.

If you would not permit, then Grace just banks the money with Lady Almah.

meemaas
2012-11-01, 09:29 PM
The Dagda Mor is gonna save his money. He's got other plans for it.

Down Comforter
2012-11-01, 10:29 PM
@Frivolous
You've got 45 gp on you, so you should be fine. It's your money.

Frivolous
2012-11-01, 10:32 PM
@Frivolous
You've got 45 gp on you, so you should be fine. It's your money.

I take it that is a yes? I can add the above potions and holy water vials to Grace's equipment list?

Also: I was not actually counting on Grace's own money. She also had/has the 55 gp from the burned wagon, and so far no one has taken it from her, despite -repeated- offers. :smallsmile:

Down Comforter
2012-11-01, 10:40 PM
Go ahead, shopping is important.

Here's the map of the exterior of the structure as you can see it, the compass points west, the direction you are approaching from.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/jolsby3689/Unexplored.jpg

Frivolous
2012-11-02, 11:38 AM
Down Comforter: Changed my mind about the Potion of Delay Poison.

I realized earlier that I should be saving up money to buy better armor, maybe even masterwork chain shirt.

So I am finalizing purchase of 2 vials of holy water and 2 potions of CLW. Total cost: 75 gp.

Question about the monastery: Are there any windows, whether on the ground floor or upper floor?

How many stories tall is the monastery?

I ask because it might be worthwhile to enter using a window or to climb up onto the roof instead of entering through the front door.

Starbin
2012-11-02, 01:08 PM
Once we see Grace coming back around from the far side, we should probably close the distance (at least to 100m).

What time of day is it?

Down Comforter
2012-11-02, 02:44 PM
The building is a single story all around, as far as you can tell, aside from the actual chapel and the nave. There is also a ruined tower you might be able to gain access to in the bottom right of the map. Windows are also marked on that as the white lines.

It's early morning and the sun is just starting to come over the roof of the building. Say, 9am.

Neither Vikcara nor Krog see anything of interest or any sentries.

Frivolous
2012-11-02, 05:20 PM
Wait, you actually have to roll Perception to get anything? I may have forgotten that.

Perception: [roll0]

Down Comforter
2012-11-02, 09:21 PM
Well Krog was looking for sentries and Vikcara was just... looking at her feet. I just did your roll for you. (And got your same roll actually :smallamused:)

Frivolous
2012-11-06, 10:59 AM
Vikcara is the only PC who hasn't given an opinion on how to proceed. Waiting on her response.

Unless we should go forward regardless? Does anyone (especially DC) think that?

Starbin
2012-11-06, 11:07 AM
Well, the last post Vik made said she was inexperienced ... my guess is that she would probably go with what the group decided. I figure if that's not the case, Vik would have spoken up by now :smallsmile:

And if it's real life intruding on our game, I suppose we can clean it up later.

Down Comforter
2012-11-06, 07:59 PM
Sorry about the delay today. Lots of yard work to do. The labels on the map aren't as readable zoomed out this far, but from left to right is: Vikcara, Dagda, Grace, Krog, and Scrag. That work for everyone?

Frivolous
2012-11-06, 08:08 PM
It works, DC.

Any tracks? Grace did a Survival roll to check for them, in case there has been discernible traffic in and out of the building.

Down Comforter
2012-11-06, 09:07 PM
Oops, you can see a muddle of tracks and though it is difficult to make out anything distinct, you do see the markings of pugwampi.

Down Comforter
2012-11-07, 02:47 AM
Oh, and unless I mention it the lighting doesn't require darkvision. It's about an hour after dawn so there's enough light in rooms open to the outside.

Down Comforter
2012-11-07, 04:31 PM
Do you all want to go to the end of the nave or towards one of the two open doorways to your right?

Starbin
2012-11-07, 05:02 PM
Well, here are some ideas for the group to consider.

Marching Order

Krog and Grace up front, where spacing allows
- Her tracking, his perception, good mix of ranged and melee combat for initial encounters from the front

Scrag and Vik following up 10ft behind
- Puts two supporters w/in a five foot step of bolstering the front line; can fire from behind; can provide light or healing as necessary

The Dagda Mor bringing up the rear
- Ranged support

Alternatively, Scrag moves back to the rear - he might work better as a rearguard (more survivable, maybe) and it gives us Darkvision folks on both sides ... but I'm not sure from an RP perspective who wants to be where.

As for the clearing, Krog's plan was to basically to head south, sweeping over half the nave, hit the wall and come back up (north?) to sweep the other side. We check doors as we go, but at each one we'll make a decision on whether to investigate further or not. It's a pretty boring (or anal retentive) search pattern - it covers one full section before moving on, but we can deviate at any point, of course, to search a particular room or corridor.

Not sure we want to take 20 in each section (it would be dark before we finish), but hopefully with five perception checks, we'll catch the sneaky stuff.

If the group wishes to be stealthy, that's not Krog's specialty. Want to disarm traps/unlock doors? Nope. Knowledge checks ... you're kidding right? No, Krog's specialty is his charming demeanor (heh), high intimidation, high perception, and damage dealing.

@Down Comforter - Krog has a +7 to Perception, if you decide to make the rolls yourself to speed things up.

Whaddy'all think about that?

Morbis Meh
2012-11-08, 09:09 AM
Scrag is a front line fighter.... he is always a bandaid, his mystery makes him a front liner not the greatest of healers so please treat him as such. Sure he can bust out a heal or two but he is first and foremost a front line bruiser with probably greater tanking potential than Krog due to his mysteries. So he will never be in the back and will probably try to go in the front.

Starbin
2012-11-08, 10:29 AM
Well, that's why I thought he'd do okay cover our rear instead of a softy :smallsmile:

I suppose we could have two melee up front, with Grace right behind us. Or Grace can help with looking for tracks, but as soon as we get into combat (or expect combat), she can drop back then.

Either way works for me ...