PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Ways of getting HIPS?

jaybird
2012-08-21, 06:20 PM
Other then playing a female character with high Cha :smallsigh:

I know Shadowdancer can be entered after 5 levels, but I'd really rather not go that route, as the required feats are...suboptimal. Highly suboptimal. What's the earliest/most efficient way of getting Hide In Plain Sight in Pathfinder?

deuxhero
2012-08-21, 06:46 PM
Shadow (and the Umbral wild blooded variant, which is better) bloodline (and Eldritch Heritage by extension) gives it (and the other shadow dancer abilities of worth), though not by name, just same function.

Assassin gets it still, but PF Assassin is horrible.

Xerinous
2012-08-21, 07:06 PM
Rangers get it at 17th level. Far from early, and also conditional (must be in favored terrain), so I don't know how useful that is.

Assassins get it at 8th level, so 13th overall if you enter at 6th level.

Rogues can take an advanced talent to get it at 10th level, but you have to pick a favored terrain like a ranger and it only works there.

Crasical
2012-08-21, 07:09 PM
Druid Levels. (http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-16/wakfu-amalia.html) Hiiiiips~<3

Right, enough of that nonsense. Gnome Sabateurs get a blanket Hide in Plain Sight while using their mutagen at 12th level. Depending on what you plan on using HIPS for, you could combine the Sniping rogue discovery with the halfling racial feature to remove the penalty for sniping completely, allowing you to continually hide after attacks, as long as they are ranged.

grarrrg
2012-08-21, 08:00 PM
Might as well make a compilation for easier comparison.

Base Classes:
Alchemist: Level: 12
Gnome-Only Saboteur Archetype. Only gains HiPS when Mutagen is in effect (limited uses/duration).

Monk: Level: 12
Human-Only Wanderer Archetype. Hides behind people, not in shadows, costs 1 Ki per round.

Ranger: Level: 17
Can HiPS in any of his Favored Terrains. Has 3 Terrains at level 17, 4 at level 18.

Rogue: Level: 10
By taking an Advance Rogue talent a Rogue gains HiPS in _one_ selected Terrain. May be taken multiple times for multiple terrains (can also be selected via Extra Rogue Talent feat).
*Ninja: Level: 10, can use a Master Trick to take the Advanced Rogue Talent. Can only be taken once.

Sorcerer: Level: 9
Shadow Bloodline grants HiPS, also gains limited Dimension Door-like ability.

Prestige Options:
Assassin: Min. Level: 13 (8th level of class, 5 to qualify)
Standard Hide near Shadow ability.

Lion Blade: Min. Level: 9 (3rd level of class, 6 to qualify)

Shadowdancer: Min. Level: 6 (1st level of class, 5 to qualify)

Other:
Improved Eldritch Heritage feat: Min. Level: 11
Use it to pick up the Sorcerer Shadow Bloodline ability. Also requires Skill Focus (Stealth) feat, (reg) Eldritch Heritage feat, and 15 CHA.

Hellcat Stealth: (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/hellcat-stealth) Min. Level: 6 (really 7, unless you can manage a bonus feat)
Can Stealth at -10 penalty in Normal or Bright light. You also need the Skill Focus (Stealth) feat.

Go Unnoticed: Min. Level: 1
Small size (or less) only, considered "unnoticed" by Flat-Footed opponents during the first round of combat.

The Shredskin (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/artifacts/major-artifacts/relics-of-kazavon/shredskin): Major Artifact:
Standard Hide near Shadow ability (and other bonuses).

My votes are for Hellcat Stealth (easy reqs, although it has a steep penalty), and...ummm...depends what ELSE you want to do with your build.
Assassin has the _easiest_ requirements for no-restrictions HiPS, but you have to take 8 levels of a "meh" PrC.
Lion Blade or Shadowdancer are much more tempting, but each requires 3 feats, and Lion Blade needs 3 levels of Bard (or Monk/Cleric with the right Archetypes...).
The Eldritch Heritage feats are nice, but you need 15 CHA and still have to spend 3 feats total.

Overall. My vote is for The Shredskin :smalltongue:

Novawurmson
2012-08-21, 08:26 PM
Take no ranks in bluff.

So your HiPS won't lie.

...I'll show myself to the door.

grarrrg
2012-08-21, 08:30 PM
Take no ranks in bluff.

So your HiPS won't lie.

I...
Wuh...
Buh...
Buh...

(note: my actual reaction at just how horrendously bad the above is)

jaybird
2012-08-21, 08:50 PM
Take no ranks in bluff.

So your HiPS won't lie.

>_>

Anyways, I want it for ranged Sneak Attack :smallbiggrin:

StreamOfTheSky
2012-08-21, 09:32 PM
Dip Waves mystery Oracle for a level, take the Water Sight mystery, put up some Obscuring mist. Anyone not adjacent to you cannot see you, and you can just 5 ft step on your turns. Sneak attack away!

Crasical
2012-08-21, 09:34 PM
>_>

Anyways, I want it for ranged Sneak Attack :smallbiggrin:

Halflings can reduce the penalty for sniping by 10, and an advanced rogue talent can reduce it by a further 10. No penalty for sniping, so make a free hide check after your action.

jaybird
2012-08-21, 09:49 PM
Wouldn't I have to start combat hidden then? I can't make Stealth checks to hide while enemies are aware of me...

Crasical
2012-08-21, 09:57 PM
Then hide before enemies are aware of you?

ZeroNumerous
2012-08-21, 10:02 PM
IIRC you can just buy it with the Greater Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis. 22k, IIRC, for HiPS.

Gives plastic surgery a run for its money.

Psyren
2012-08-22, 09:40 AM
Unlike 3.5, magical darkness in PF actually lowers the light level (and can drop it to full or supernatural darkness depending on prevailing conditions.) A wand of Deeper Darkness is a cheap and easy way of gaining enough concealment for a hide check vs. many foes, provided you have a way to see through it.

jaybird
2012-08-22, 10:04 AM
Hmm...so I'm thinking about playing a Fetchling Ninja who might be the "good cop" to a Sword Saint Samurai's "bad cop", saving me skill points on Intimidate. I'd likely be the party scout, meaning Stealth, Acrobatics, Perception, et cetera. Depending on what level we start at, I'd either take Hellcat Stealth or Skill Focus Stealth, Eldritch Heritage (Shadow), and Improved Eldritch Heritage (Shadow)...looking a little tight on the feats. Would I be better off dipping Fighter or Ranger for bonus feats?

Hyde
2012-08-22, 01:27 PM
Can you loot anything from 3.5?

If so, take Darkstalker.

Otherwise, the cheapest HiPS is probably a tower shield. Dip a level of fighter for the proficiency (Even if your DM rules you have to leave the tower shield behind, it still works).

NightbringerGGZ
2012-08-22, 03:09 PM
If you want to go with a Rogue build (for the archetypes) you can pick up the following two Rogue Talents:

1) Ki Pool - you gain a Ki Pool that runs off of your Wisdom.
2) Ninja Trick: Vanishing Trick - Use a swift action, spend a ki point and you turn Invisible (as per the spell Invisibility) for 1 round per level.

That should help out your sniping =)

jaybird
2012-08-22, 03:26 PM
If you want to go with a Rogue build (for the archetypes) you can pick up the following two Rogue Talents:

1) Ki Pool - you gain a Ki Pool that runs off of your Wisdom.
2) Ninja Trick: Vanishing Trick - Use a swift action, spend a ki point and you turn Invisible (as per the spell Invisibility) for 1 round per level.

That should help out your sniping =)

Now that's a better idea then actually going Ninja - Wis focus will boost my Perception rolls too, perfect for the party scout.