PDA

View Full Version : Freedom of Movement Vs Nauseated

Diarmuid
2012-08-21, 06:57 PM
Would FoM prevent the action hampering effects of being nauseated?

INoKnowNames
2012-08-21, 07:00 PM

Why would an ability that stops movement impesion help against experiencing extreme stomache distress?

Mystic Muse
2012-08-21, 07:01 PM
This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web. The subject automatically succeeds on any grapple check made to resist a grapple attempt, as well as on grapple checks or Escape Artist checks made to escape a grapple or a pin.

The spell also allows the subject to move and attack normally while underwater, even with slashing weapons such as axes and swords or with bludgeoning weapons such as flails, hammers, and maces, provided that the weapon is wielded in the hand rather than hurled. The freedom of movement spell does not, however, allow water breathing. Looking at the exact text, I would say no. It's not a magical effect that's preventing you from moving (At least, not along the same lines as the listed ones) and the only normally physical impediments it specifically lists are moving underwater and being grappled.

Darrin
2012-08-21, 07:04 PM

Yes. From the spell description: "This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web." (emphasis added)

While nausea allows you to move, it prevents you from attacking. Note that slow, another condition which prevents you from moving *and* attacking on the same turn, is explicitly countered by FoM.

Crasical
2012-08-21, 07:16 PM
Why would an ability that stops movement impesion help against experiencing extreme stomache distress?

Because Freedom of Movement is for those moments when you can't afford to be slowed down. Experiencing intestinal distress is one of those times.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-21, 07:18 PM
Yes. From the spell description: "This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web." (emphasis added)

While nausea allows you to move, it prevents you from attacking. Note that slow, another condition which prevents you from moving *and* attacking on the same turn, is explicitly countered by FoM.

If I may say, this seems like an incredibly liberal reading.

Would Freedom of Movement protect one from Fear? Or Power Word Stun? Or Waves of Exhaustion?

Or being Turned? Or Fascinated?

What about being Knocked Down/Blown Away/Checked?

Because Freedom of Movement is for those moments when you can't afford to be slowed down. Experiencing intestinal distress is one of those times.

Depending on the view point, lots of moments can be described as times when you can't afford to be slowed down. And it honestly doesn't seem like the point of the matter.

Maybe it's just a difference in how it seems like it would be appliable versus something I don't understand about how it is written, but Freedom of Movement seems like it's something one uses to defend against outside forces that restrict movement. Diarrhea is not such a force, at least as far as I know.

Seems like a Dm would smack someone in the head for this kind of reading. Otherwise, I need to pack more Rings of Freedom of Movement...

demigodus
2012-08-21, 07:57 PM

If you read it like this, death/unconsciousness/dying prevents you from attacking and moving. So you can move and attack while dead. With both your arms missing. Or after being distintegrated.

Being buried under a hill stops you from moving/attacking. This reading would then let you move through solid stone at full movement speed. Or just walk through all walls/obstacles.

Anti-life shell would stop a monk from attacking the person wearing a shell, so casting Freedom of Movement on the monk would let them ignore the shell.

Yes, I suppose you could interpret the spell like this. I honestly would question such a reading though... and now I need to ask my DM his interpretation, cause might Druid might have to start wearing a Ring of FoM rather then just casting Heart of Water at the start of the day...

olentu
2012-08-21, 08:03 PM
If you read it like this, death/unconsciousness/dying prevents you from attacking and moving. So you can move and attack while dead. With both your arms missing. Or after being distintegrated.

Being buried under a hill stops you from moving/attacking. This reading would then let you move through solid stone at full movement speed. Or just walk through all walls/obstacles.

Anti-life shell would stop a monk from attacking the person wearing a shell, so casting Freedom of Movement on the monk would let them ignore the shell.

Yes, I suppose you could interpret the spell like this. I honestly would question such a reading though... and now I need to ask my DM his interpretation, cause might Druid might have to start wearing a Ring of FoM rather then just casting Heart of Water at the start of the day...

Ah you're not reading it liberally enough. Any form of opposition is impeding your ability to move and attack freely. If someone is menacing a village and you have to go save it you are not free to move normally due to the threat. So freedom of movement removes all opposition to the caster of any form.

PretzelKing
2012-08-21, 08:19 PM
does the phrase "even under the influence of magic" have to do with nauseated? I'm not sure if nausea is a condition that is always considered magical in nature?

INoKnowNames
2012-08-21, 08:26 PM

So my earlier thoughts are not as alien as I had considered they might be.

Ah you're not reading it liberally enough. Any form of opposition is impeding your ability to move and attack freely. If someone is menacing a village and you have to go save it you are not free to move normally due to the threat. So freedom of movement removes all opposition to the caster of any form.

Psh, what we need to do is get a way to enable a Fighter to gain access to Freedom of Movement, so he can automatically negate all spells aimed at him. Solve the issue of Linear Warriors, Quadratic Wizards once and for all.

does the phrase "even under the influence of magic" have to do with nauseated? I'm not sure if nausea is a condition that is always considered magical in nature?

There are a few spells that cause nauseated, like Stinking Cloud, but, to be fair, that spell can be simulated by a 1st level commoner, so...

Seriously though, I had to look up that spell. Other than that, I can't recall too may affects that cause nauseated. And it doesn't seem like having stomache distress is a supernatural related condition...

"Pregnant PC: Stomache Cramps! :smallsigh:"

"Wizard PC: I cast Freedom of Movement!"

"Pregnant PC: k'thnks! :smallsmile:"

Roguenewb
2012-08-21, 08:59 PM
So my earlier thoughts are not as alien as I had considered they might be.

Psh, what we need to do is get a way to enable a Fighter to gain access to Freedom of Movement, so he can automatically negate all spells aimed at him. Solve the issue of Linear Warriors, Quadratic Wizards once and for all.

There are a few spells that cause nauseated, like Stinking Cloud, but, to be fair, that spell can be simulated by a 1st level commoner, so...

Seriously though, I had to look up that spell. Other than that, I can't recall too may affects that cause nauseated. And it doesn't seem like having stomache distress is a supernatural related condition...

"Pregnant PC: Stomache Cramps! :smallsigh:"

"Wizard PC: I cast Freedom of Movement!"

"Pregnant PC: k'thnks! :smallsmile:"

The spell might do something more...drastic to cure that problem....

Frankly, that reading smacks of Iron Heart Surge. When you cast freedom of movement, the BBEG dies, because he was forcing your hand! Freedom of movement allows one to overcome magic and environmental conditions stopping movement, it does not always allow you to attack and move.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-21, 09:12 PM
The spell might do something more...drastic to cure that problem....

..... oh my god. -That- is Fridge ****ing Horror at it's finest. :smalleek:

Frankly, that reading smacks of Iron Heart Surge. When you cast freedom of movement, the BBEG dies, because he was forcing your hand!

Heh. Freedom of Movement the Sun away because being burned alive would prevent you from moving and attacking! This could be a new forum joke...

sonofzeal
2012-08-21, 10:06 PM
- Being unconcious/dead prevents you from moving and acting normally.

- FoM "enables you to move and attack normally".

- ???

- Profit!

Aegis013
2012-08-21, 10:06 PM
The spell does read "...even under the influence of magic..." suggesting that it does trump mundane events that inhibit movement or actions, and even trumps magical ones. As to how far that goes, I can only say it would fall under DM discretion. I would personally allow it to prevent negative effects from the nauseated condition or ignore difficult terrain, but not to borrow from an example demigodus used, use it to move freely through solid stone or other obstacles such as walls.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-21, 10:18 PM

- ???

- Profit!

Freedom of Movement away death! It's -WORSE- than Iron Heart Surge, because you can use it prehemptively, rather than waiting for a condition to affect you!

The spell does read "...even under the influence of magic..." suggesting that it does trump mundane events that inhibit movement or actions, and even trumps magical ones. As to how far that goes, I can only say it would fall under DM discretion. I would personally allow it to prevent negative effects from the nauseated condition or ignore difficult terrain, but not to borrow from an example demigodus used, use it to move freely through solid stone or other obstacles such as walls.

Why does a spell that would, say, defend against being caught in a net or web, help against a stomache ache? I'm not seeing the connection myself.

Stoping magic netting and such makes sense. Stoping, say, the taco made with tarrasque meat from making you sick is another.

PretzelKing
2012-08-21, 10:44 PM
If it did say "...even..." then it would suggest it covers more events, not the other way around.

killianh
2012-08-21, 10:48 PM
I think the most useful purpose of this spell wouldn't be being able to walk without legs, planar travel at will (planar boundaries would inhibit movement) or ignore death. The most useful purpose would be to never stub your toe again.

at OP: simply no. If it worked against sub-effects of other conditions like that then absolutely nothing could stop you from moving and attacking. You could amble down infinity at the end of the universe because time wouldn't be allowed to imped your movement. You could effectively be Forest Gump

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-21, 10:51 PM
Freedom of Movement overrides any condition that would hinder your movement.

The Nauseated condition does not hinder your movement, it hinders your concentration. Your lack of concentration is what causes your actions per round (not your movement) to be limited, so FoM will be of no benefit. Similar effects (like Ray of Dizziness) that limit what actions you have available per round rather than the actions you take are likewise unaffected by Freedom of Movement.

Your movements and attacks are already normal for your current condition. If you had some other ability that allowed you to ignore the effects of the Nauseated condition, Freedom of Movement would be more likely to override that and revert your actions to what's normal for that condition than to be of any help at all.

Andezzar
2012-08-22, 01:10 AM
You are omitting the word "normally". If the creature can't Burrow/Fly/Plane Shift etc. under normal conditions it cannot under the effect of FoM either. Also a wall is not a condition applied to the character.

demigodus
2012-08-22, 02:02 AM
Freedom of Movement away death! It's -WORSE- than Iron Heart Surge, because you can use it prehemptively, rather than waiting for a condition to affect you!

Also, you can use it on others. And lasts longer.

Wonton
2012-08-22, 04:01 AM

- ???

- Profit!

Bravo! Perfect use of Reducto ad Absurdum. :smallamused: Sonofzeal wins this thread. Where's that "clapping" smiley when you need it?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-22, 04:15 AM
"This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web."

Mundane conditions that impose limitations to your range of actions are not "magic that usually impedes movement" even if those conditions were placed on you by a magic effect.

Conditions like Unconscious, Dead, Nauseated, Dizzy, Exhausted, etc. could be a normal status for any given individual. However limited your actions are when under one of those conditions would be considered your normal range of actions, given that condition. Therefore, Freedom of Movement would not only be of no benefit when under a condition such as those, it would actually prevent you from overcoming the limitations of that condition via magic because it reverts your actions back to what's 'normal' for your current status.

2xMachina
2012-08-22, 05:22 AM
Forge Cage! Quickened Dimensional Anchor!

Freedom of Movement! Quickened Dim. Door!

KillianHawkeye
2012-08-22, 07:44 AM

This sounds like an advertisement for some kind of adult diapers or something. :smallamused:

Intestinal distress getting to you? Can't afford to be slowed down?

Try new FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT brand diapers and experience freedom again!

Psyren
2012-08-22, 07:50 AM
Nausea (magical or otherwise) doesn't hinder your movement. Therefore the clause about being able to move and attack normally doesn't even kick in.

No, FoM is not Greater IHS.

Gwendol
2012-08-22, 08:02 AM
Nor does it help against, say, being prone. In other words: grappling - auto succeed, tripping - still have to roll.

2xMachina
2012-08-22, 08:38 AM
But does it help against Dimensional Anchor?

If you can normally teleport/planeshift, Dim. Anchor is now magically limiting your movement.

Zombimode
2012-08-22, 08:44 AM
But does it help against Dimensional Anchor?

If you can normally teleport/planeshift, Dim. Anchor is now magically limiting your movement.

Teleportation is not movement. You dont move, you relocate.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-22, 09:06 AM
No, FoM is not Greater IHS.

But it would be fun to pretend. :smallbiggrin:

.... could one Iron Heart Surge Freedom of Movement? :smallconfused:

Could one Freedom of Movement Iron Heart Surge somehow? :smalleek:

Snowbluff
2012-08-22, 02:03 PM
But it would be fun to pretend. :smallbiggrin:

.... could one Iron Heart Surge Freedom of Movement? :smallconfused:

Could one Freedom of Movement Iron Heart Surge somehow? :smalleek:

You could IHS FoM.

You can FoM IHS if you are removing your movements with IHS.

laeZ1
2012-08-22, 02:55 PM
This thread made my day. And I'm starting to regret giving my mystical theurge that sash of FoM...

Dairuga
2012-08-22, 03:11 PM
Okay, so; in all seriousness, Yes, I would rule Freedom of movement to work against the Nauseated condition, even if many DM's would argue with it, as you can fully and wholly argue for the fact that it -does- prevent you from moving normally.

First, let us take a gander at what it says in the examples:

Slow
---------------

A slowed creature moves at half its normal speed (round down to the next 5-foot increment)

So that is one down. Slow causes a creature to move at half speed; simple as that. Freedom of movement protects you against magic that impedes your halved movement speed; simple as that. Straightforward, easy.

Solid Fog
---------------
This spell functions like fog cloud, but in addition to obscuring sight, the solid fog is so thick that any creature attempting to move through it progresses at a speed of 5 feet, regardless of its normal speed

So, that is one other example down. Solid fog slows a creature down to a certain speed, and lets them move normally trough such conditions. That is also rather straightforward, and easy to understand. If you are not allowed your full movement speed for the round, Freedom of Movement lets you do so.

Paralyzed
-----------------
A paralyzed character is frozen in place and unable to move or act.

Here, it gets rather tricky. You do not get any of your actions. You are unable to move, or take actions. It explicitly says that you are unable to move, which might be Freedom of Movement's clause for letting it save you against paralysis, but from a pure crunch-related view, Paralysis takes away your actions, and this causes FoM to be effective; you cannot take your move action, or move actions.

Now, let us look at the remainder of the spell effect.

The subject automatically succeeds on any grapple check made to resist a grapple attempt, as well as on grapple checks or Escape Artist checks made to escape a grapple or a pin.

The spell also allows the subject to move and attack normally while underwater, even with slashing weapons such as axes and swords or with bludgeoning weapons such as flails, hammers, and maces, provided that the weapon is wielded in the hand rather than hurled. The freedom of movement spell does not, however, allow water breathing.

The spell grants additional effects; automatically succeeding on grapple checks, as well as automatically succeeding on escaping grapple checks, as well as moving underwater. Wheras this could have been listed as additional examples as the prior examples was, they have rather added more paragraphs, to describe in detail which other areas the spell works on, aside from the aforementioned examples.

In the case of a Grapple, you are rendered unable to move at all, without succeeding in a grapple check, which is a clear violation of "Being allowed to move normally", mundanely speaking. No, I am not dabbling in semantics of BBEG's acting on your conscience, because just like any conscience, it can be repressed, and is only an issue of morality. Equally, as with people coming up with force cage and such, force cage does not hinder your movement at all; merely limits the amount of space you can move within. Your body itself is not physically impeded, as a result of the spell, and can still expend both your actions, should you want to, running in circles inside. Or perform move actions to drop your weapon and pick it up, etc.

So, from the afformented examples, we can draw the following conclusions:

1. The spell works against conditions that leaves people's speed halved.
2. The spell works against conditions that leaves a character's speed set at a certain increment, or reduced to a certain point.
3. The spell works against conditions that leaves you unable to move as much as you could otherwise.

THen the question becomes; "What constitutes 'Unable to move as much as you could otherwise'? Normally, you can move up to your base speed per turn. Or twice of that, if you use both movement actions. Or, you can run at 4 times your speed, if you are not encucumbered, or are wearing a light load.

Given that the condition of Nauseated, you are limited to either -one- movement action per turn, or -one- standard action, it would indeed seem that this condition leaves you unable to move as much as you can, normally, and would thus be affected by Freedom of Movement.

Other conditions, if you follow the same rules, that Freedom of Movement would help, and situations where Freedom of Movement would be of use, could be:

Wearing medium or Heavy load; FoM lets you move at your max speed for its duration. as per the second clause, letting you move at full speeds when your normal speed is reduced to a certain amount due to mundane or magical effects.

Wearing Medium or Heavy armor. Same as above.

Moving trough Difficult Terrain, as it falls under the first clause; halving your speed.

Freeing a character from being crushed, or from being swallowed (And subsequently escaping, if they have been swallowed whole)

Free someone from being Stunned, as Stunned, alike with Paralyzed, does not let you move or take any actions.

Let someone move at full speed while being Staggered (0 HP), given that staggered only lets you perform one action, not letting you move your full distance in any given turn.

Free someone from the effects of Fascination. Fascination lets you take no actions other than sit still and pay attention to the creature whom fascinated you, making it fall under the third clause; same reason as why it makes you able to move when stunned or Paralyzed.

Now, however, these would be areas where Freedom of movement would -not- help.

Antilife shell, for example; does not hinder your movement at all. It merely prevents you from entering a certain amount of spaces. You could fully well move in the opposite direction without being hindered, or run in circles were you stand.

Flesh to Stone: You are considered dead, and can thus not move, even under freedom of movement. Dead characters do not get actions, and would thus not have any movement speed; not letting them move. Plus, dead characters are considered corpses, and thus objects; not letting it be an eligible target of Freedom of movement.

Unconcious: Unconscious characters do not have a consciousness, and would therefor not be able to move, even if the spell was cast on them. Much akin to how the spell lets you move normally underwater, but does not confer water breathing; this spell would let them move fully, but does not give them the consciousness to utilize their move actions.

Dimensional Anchor: Dimensional Anchor does not impede your body's movement at all. It merely restricts you from entering certain spaces; in this spell's case, any extradimensional travel. It does not bar you from moving your legs in any way.

Turned: Similar to Fear effects, you move at your full speed, albeit in a fixed direction. You are not impeded in any way, as you can fully run at your top speed, albeit directly away from the one that turned you.

I hope this will have helped clarify some points, and have been of help to those that want to make some sense of the spells.

Gwendol
2012-08-22, 03:22 PM
No, it doesn't free someone from fascination: being fascinated means the subject doesn't want to do anything but sit down and pay attention. His/her movement isn't restricted at all.

Furthemore, the spell allows the subject to move normally. Wearing heavy armor their speed is normally reduced (unless they have a feature that negates that). So the spell does nothing.

ericgrau
2012-08-22, 03:29 PM
1. Freedom of movement off of the DM's railroad, stopping rule 0.
2. Freedom of movement through the dungeon walls.
3. Freedom of movement to keep going after enemy attacks might stop/kill you.
4. Freedom of movement through the enemies themselves.
5. Cast freedom of movement on whoever/whatever you're after.
6. Repeat 2-4 to exit the dungeon.
7. Profit.

Don't take me seriously.

It reminds me of my diablo 3 build that basically lets me run past everything. Nearly all the game's goals involve killing something so it's not an auto-win, but it saves time getting to them. And if it's a really difficult fight you can often switch builds once you get there.

Slipperychicken
2012-08-22, 03:32 PM
Warning: Extremely Strict Reading Incoming

Freedom of Movement does not render you immune to Nausea. It allows you to "move and attack normally", and that's all. It does not remove Nausea, it just lets you override the parts that restrict you from moving or attacking. Freedom of Movement even acknowledges that the caster may be under the influence of such movement-impeding magic, with the sole exception the caster may move and attack normally.

For example, Nausea's language on "unable to [...] cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention" is not affected by Freedom of Movement, because Freedom of Movement does not let you cast spells or concentrate normally; just move and attack.

A Nauseated character with Freedom of Movment active will be restricted to one Move action, unless he uses his other actions to move or attack. He cannot cast spells (or "concentrate on spells, or do anything requiring attention") though, because Freedom of Movement does not override that clause. You would not be able to use any special abilities requiring actions that aren't Move actions, because those are not moving, or attacking (If the ability neither requires attention, is not spellcasting, is activated with only a move action or does not require an action at all, you could use it).

Baalthazaq
2012-08-23, 07:28 AM
Okay, so; in all seriousness, Yes, I would rule Freedom of movement to work against the Nauseated condition, even if many DM's would argue with it, as you can fully and wholly argue for the fact that it -does- prevent you from moving normally.

So does death. You can fully and wholly argue for the fact that -it does- prevent you from moving normally.

There's nothing to differentiate Nausea from being a more or less "normal" condition than death, but unconscious is the most interesting one, which we'll get to in a bit.

So, from the afformented examples, we can draw the following conclusions:
1, 2, 3. It works on X.

Your conclusions are correct, your inferences are not.
"We can conclude X works on effects with the letter S in the title" might be true, but that does not infer it works on all effects with S in the title. That's basically how you're using it. "It works on X here, ergo it works on X there".

Your 3 conclusions don't necessarily allow further elaboration into new effects.

Particularly interesting however is your conclusion about unconscious:

Unconcious: Unconscious characters do not have a consciousness, and would therefor not be able to move, even if the spell was cast on them. Much akin to how the spell lets you move normally underwater, but does not confer water breathing; this spell would let them move fully, but does not give them the consciousness to utilize their move actions.

What you've done here, is used common sense, to overrule your reading of the rule. There are no rules you've cited here. No in game justification. Just out of game justification. (and technically unconscious doesn't mean you have no consciousness. It's suppressed, not gone.)

Your reading of the rule allows movement during unconsciousness. You going "wait, that's ridiculous" is all that genuinely stops it.

Yet fascinate, an effect which (in real life terms) uses a mind affecting ability to make a character WANT to stand still, you decide gets overridden because you obey the rules as you interpreted... no.

What you're saying is "dead characters can't normally do X, so FoM doesn't work" as a DM fiat, after interpreting the rules in a way that would normally allow it.

Same for unconscious.

It should be the same for nauseated, fascinated, and while we're at it same for blind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#blinded).

Unless you think it removes blind too?

Darrin
2012-08-23, 09:11 AM
It should be the same for nauseated, fascinated, and while we're at it same for blind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#blinded).

Unless you think it removes blind too?

One of the effects of blindness is "moves at half speed". Which is similar to the effects of entangle or slow. So... um...

We should probably put this question in the Q&A thread and let Curmudgeon chew on it a bit.

Blisstake
2012-08-23, 09:40 AM
You could IHS FoM.

You can FoM IHS if you are removing your movements with IHS.

I think the universe just imploded.

Slipperychicken
2012-08-23, 09:43 AM
One of the effects of blindness is "moves at half speed". Which is similar to the effects of entangle or slow. So... um...

We should probably put this question in the Q&A thread and let Curmudgeon chew on it a bit.

It doesn't let you ignore blindness, only the parts of the condition that restrict movement or attacking. You would move at full speed, although you still could not see, and would still automatically fail Spot checks. The 50% miss chance does not prevent you from attacking (although your attacks are significantly less effective, you are not prevented from taking them), so that's still in too.

Freedom of Movement does not let you ignore every effect which prevents normal movement or attacking, it just lets you move and attack while in spite of conditions that would otherwise impede it.

Downysole
2012-08-23, 11:01 AM
Is anyone else finding this thread to be completely ridiculous?

Being able to beat death with a 4th level spell and no XP or gp cost?

Countering or suppressing higher-level spells without a caster check?

Not having any status effects at all if among the results of each effect is "impedes movement" such as nauseated?

I'm just shocked that you all think you can do so much with this spell...

Baalthazaq
2012-08-23, 11:06 AM

I see you didn't take me up on dead/unconscious.

That somewhat demonstrates that the reading currently being employed is clearly not RAI by any single person's criteria in this thread.

It's reading a rule one way, up to the point it breaks their own personal limit of what they can justify to themselves, then swapping to ignoring the reading they're arguing for.

From the FAQ:

Does the freedom of movement spell protect a character
from being stunned? The argument is that “stun” is a
condition that hinders movement.

Freedom of movement is one of those tricky spells that has
a lot of open-ended wording that might lead to confusion. The
spell becomes much more manageable if you just look at it as
something that ignores any physical impediment to movement
or actions. If you assign this restriction, then it makes sense that
freedom of movement works against solid fog, slow, and web;
each of these spells puts something in the way of the creature
that stops them from moving/acting, or specifically targets the
creature’s physical movement.

With this interpretation, spells and effects such as hold
person that apply a mental impediment to taking any action
would not be bypassed by freedom of movement. These are
mental effects, and freedom of movement only helps you bypass
physical effects (such as solid fog) or effects that specifically
impede just your movement, not spells that stop you from
taking any action, as hold person does.

In the same vein, freedom of movement would not work on
someone who had been turned to stone by a medusa’s gaze or
by a flesh to stone spell.

To answer the original question, being stunned is one of
those mental effects and would normally deny a creature the
ability to act at all. Since it’s not specifically focused on just
impeding movement, and it is a mental, not physical
impediment, freedom of movement would not help a stunned
creature to act or move normally.

This interpretation of freedom of movement can make it
easier to adjudicate the effects of the spell, but it is also more
restrictive. As always, it will ultimately be up to the Dungeon
Master to make the best call as he sees fit for his campaign and
play session.

That seems pretty clearly to work within RAI.
Applies pretty well to "effects specifically stating they work by restricting movement", not all effects with a movement penalty involved (wearing heavy armor, small-size, polymorph into a slice of cheese, death).

Darrin
2012-08-23, 11:41 AM
I see you didn't take me up on dead/unconscious.

Didn't want to go there.

It's reading a rule one way, up to the point it breaks their own personal limit of what they can justify to themselves, then swapping to ignoring the reading they're arguing for.

From the FAQ:

I considered the whole physical/mental distinction, but while that may be one of the more coherent passages in the FAQ, it still fails to address the inclusion of "paralysis", which is most often a mental impairment and very rarely a physical impairment. Nauseated, stunned, dazed, cowered... these could all be classified as a type of "mental paralysis". There are at least two ways to restrict someone's movement: 1) reduced speed and 2) reduced actions. FoM clearly applies in some cases to both categories, but those categories can be generalized so far beyond the text that you're left with trying to decide for yourself what was intended or what makes sense.

The root cause is not so much FoM but that pretty much the entire status effects/conditions portion of the rules is really, really shoddy and not very clear or consistent.

Ketiara
2012-08-23, 01:35 PM
Kid:"MOM can I go to the creek and play"?
Mom:"not before you clean the floor"!
FoM cleans the floor :)
Or kills the mom

Roguenewb
2012-08-23, 03:59 PM
Kid:"MOM can I go to the creek and play"?
Mom:"not before you clean the floor"!
FoM cleans the floor :)
Or kills the mom

Or destroys the creek. Now that the kid doesn't want to go to the creek, he doesnt have to clean the floor, so his movement is no longer impeded. I guess FoM could also make the kid scared of creeks...

Slipperychicken
2012-08-23, 04:59 PM
Or destroys the creek. Now that the kid doesn't want to go to the creek, he doesnt have to clean the floor, so his movement is no longer impeded. I guess FoM could also make the kid scared of creeks...

The kid could go to the creek normally under the influence of his mother. FoM would simply force the mother to fail any Grapple checks made to stop him.

ericgrau
2012-08-23, 05:05 PM
Is anyone else finding this thread to be completely ridiculous?

Being able to beat death with a 4th level spell and no XP or gp cost?

Countering or suppressing higher-level spells without a caster check?

Not having any status effects at all if among the results of each effect is "impedes movement" such as nauseated?

I'm just shocked that you all think you can do so much with this spell...

Don't take me seriously.
:smalltongue:

Cast freedom of movement on the earth to free it from gravity and so fling it away from the sun.

mattie_p
2012-08-23, 08:47 PM
Not only is freedom of movement good for all of the above and more, but it even says in the spell that it doesn't grant you water breathing, so you can drown-heal at the same time.

KoboldCleric
2012-08-23, 11:43 PM
This seems pretty straightforward to me; it does exactly what it says in the spell description, no more, no less. Of course it doesn't work on dead characters; a dead body is a an object not "yourself or a creature touched". Thus the spell fails for lack of a viable target, not because the spell doesn't do exacty what it says it does.

lsfreak
2012-08-24, 01:32 AM
I considered the whole physical/mental distinction, but while that may be one of the more coherent passages in the FAQ, it still fails to address the inclusion of "paralysis", which is most often a mental impairment and very rarely a physical impairment.

Are you confusing mental with neurological here? As far as I know, most instances of paralysis are neurological, having to do with blocked neurotransmitters, overload of neurotransmitters, severed nerves, etc. Not a person's mental state.
EDIT: Waaait, you're probably talking about whether it's a Will save versus a Fort save, aren't you?

Diarmuid
2012-08-24, 11:09 AM
I guess I'm glad to see it wasnt a simple slam dunk answer as we hemmed and hawed on it for a while at our table.

As a stop-gap "ruling for now, lets talk about it later" we ended up with something similar to what's been mentioned a couple times.

We rules that the character could move and attack normally, but still was beholden to all the other restrictions on spellcasting and concentration.