PDA

View Full Version : Hardboiled in Steam (OOC)



Pages : [1] 2

Fri
2012-08-21, 09:09 PM
Opening Video
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F2T1YV6xJE")[/B]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Faris/city1-1.jpg

The cheap ceiling fan that creaks lazily above you wakes you up from your uneasy sleep. The rain lasted for the whole night. But it's rather like attempting to bathe a mangy mutt with a mini spritzer. As you peer through the blind, you see the permanent smog that blankets this hive of scum and villainy that millions of people call their home doesn't thin in the slightest. The morning sun is barely able to pierce through the factories' morning breath, and it'll be another couple of hour before the street lamps would lose their usefulness.

You’re hungry for breakfast. For some reason, some pea soup sounds delicious now...

Have you seen the opening?

So what is Hardboiled in Steam? Hardboiled in Steam is a noir-steampunk detective campaign, set in the future of my old Mobile Guard Section One game, but not a direct sequel.

Set in the dark and smoke-covered city of Ruixing, in this game you guys are playing as detectives or other parties that are interested in the survival of the Satterthwaite Detective Agency.

The Satterthwaite Detective Agency used to be the most successful detective agency in the city. But with the disappearance of Mr. Satterthwaite, the agency has been down on their luck.

You'll be playing as apprentices, partners, secretaries, or any other employee of the agency. But it's not limited to that. The old charitable Mr Satterthwaite often rented rooms for down-on-their-luck rival detectives, enterprising business, old widows, or street magicians. The thing that joined you all together is a common interest in the building's survival.

Mind that this won't be a wholly dark game. I hope this game will have a lot of chances for humor and steampunky pulp action as well. But my plan is to have the focus on investigation, of course. Maybe it will have about 70% investigation, 25% action, and 10% parody. Oh, and 5% swing music. But don't count on those too much, it's subject to change!

So, if you've read this far, and still interested, continue on to the details!

Setting and Recent History
The Pangaean Continent is smoking like some wet burned off bacon. Alchemical Reaction Machines, or ARM, technology had just recently celebrated its 100th jubilee. Different than the old awkward engines, the current machines run much more effectively using the eldritch combination of alchemy, steam, and coal. Its effectiveness had made its use even more widespread, and it’s now used in all kind of works, ranging from transportation to heavy industrial works. If it gives off suffocating smoke as its downside, hey, that's the side-effect of progress. All kinds of fantastic creatures still live in the continent, but the last dragons were seen decades ago, and with elves living only in people's rumours, it seems that finally mankind, as the only remaining sapient species had the whole continent for themselves.

It's been twenty years since the continent-spanning war between the Southern Kingdoms and the Tripartite Alliance. Twenty years ago, the three super powers of the Pangaean Continent, The Kingdom of Argent, the Bundesrepublic, and the Kingdom of Zipang, were deep in their cold wars and general bickerings when the many small kingdoms of the southern continent rose from their usual petty fights between each other under the banner or a charismatic warlord. The three powers were forced to form an uneasy alliance, and despite the southern coalition's manpower and the warlord's supposed genius, the Alliance's superior war machines and logistics won the war.

The Kingdom of Zipang was content to be left back into their internal civil wars, leaving the two bitter rivals of Argent and Bundesrepublic to deal with the aftermath of the war. They left most of the petty kingdoms by themselves, battered and deep-fried in turmoil. But not wanting to be caught off guard again from the south, they turned their eyes on one border kingdom. The kingdom of Shang.

Not having the inclination nor the resources to occupy the country, yet fearing for what their rival would do in the future, both kingdoms vie for influence within the country in a complex dance of diplomacy and foreign aid.
The City of Rui Xing.
Even before the war, Shang was one of the most important centers of trade on the continent. Bordering many kingdoms, it's one of the most culturally diverse countries on the continent. And the Port City of Ruixing is one of the most important cities there. Often considered the second capital of the kingdom, the city is an economic and commercial center, with traders from northern powers, from the southern deserts, and from the far off countries beyond the western seas all wanting to peddle their goods in the city. And with the end of the war, it grew even more important.

One of the more important treaties of the war is the treaty of Ruixing, where instead of occupying the whole kingdom, Argent and Bundesrepublic were given concessions in the city by the Shang government and were allowed to build military base there. Since then, with money flowing in from the two rival powers, the city had almost doubled in size, absorbing surrounding settlements and farms.

People from all over the continent came to the city to bet their lives. So many different cultures and ethnicities melt in the one big pot, that now the citizens are proud to call themselves Ruixingese instead of Shang people or whatever country their ancestors came from in the past.

The city is now split into three. The northern part was conceded to Argent, the southern part to the Bundesrepublic, and both built military bases and turned the rest of their concessions into elegant expensive quarters and commercial districts, leaving the bloated central Ruixing for the rest of the common mucks. Other than the central old town that serves as the governmental seat and where the original rich inhabitant of the city lives, there are no other official districts other than how similarly fated people are attracted to each other.

The city itself is a political nightmare. Even though it's technically still under Shang's sovereignty, Argent and the Bundesrepublic are given free reign in their concessions. The city's poor and underequipped police force were left to themselves to maintain their part of the city, while the haughty and heavily armed military polices of the superpowers patrol their respective concessions and, once in a while, poke their rifles into other territories, either pursuing things beyond their jurisdictions, or attempting to block the other jurisdictions from investigating things related to their interests.

And that's not even counting the complex web of influences that wraps the whole city. The foreign concessions want to have more say in the whole city while not wanting their rival to do the same. Various criminal families not-so-secretly run other parts of the city, with ties to each other and various official government factions. Violent were-creature gangs are vying for areas in the city. And they all invariably want more power for themselves.

To coordinate the security of the city as a whole, the central city police department and the two military police forces are joined in a committee called Ruixing Police Committee, housed in a building in the central district. The committee is basically a council that oversees the general police work of the city, but it doesn't have any real power. It's mostly just a bickering council that doesn't do much.

What it can do though, is give certain organizations and individuals official licenses.

Official licenses to be private investigators...
ARMs and the Dusk of Magic
Magic is described as the innate ability that some people have to supernaturally manipulate the elements or matter around them, while alchemy is the way to have elements and matter manipulated without sustained use of magic. Various alchemical gadgets, ranging from airships to streetlamps had been invented to make ordinary people's life easier.

About 100 years ago, an enterprising alchemist from Argent called John Edson created something that revolutionized the world: ARMS, or Alchemical Reaction Machines. ARMs are humanoid armors filled with complex system of pulley and gears, with alchemical reactions flowing through pipes under its metal skin. By manipulating ARMs, normal human can lift heavy boulders, dig deep into the belly of the earth, and fight giants without magical fireballs. They’re used for everything, from construction working to farming, to heavy mining. A lot of kingdoms use ARMs as heavy shock troopers for their army. To compare, they become as common as today’s automobiles.

Unlike the old giant-sized ARMs, nowadays ARMs are much smaller, barely two or three meters tall. And instead of manipulated using complex system of levers, nowadays people can manipulate ARMs limbs as extensions of their own limbs.

Because of some complex interaction, magically inclined people can't operate ARMs or machinery with similar alchemical engines.

It used to be said that one in 500 people have the ability to use magic in a meaningful way, and just 50 years ago, educated magicians have the same social standing as engineers. Magic academies used to be prestigious institutions that proudly stood in every major city. Even the kingdom of Argent's main power used to be their elite and powerful magic knights. But for some reason, magically inclined people are getting rarer and rarer today. Less and less magicians are born. And since magicians can't use Alchemical Engines, with the widespread use of them, magicians became a rather marginalized community.

Nowadays, most magicians either live as academics in rusty ivory towers or as untrusted street performers, but people in high social standings still send their magically inclined children to academies mostly for a lack of better thing to do, and some people still employ magicians as 'special advisors' or in other unusual offices.
Satterthwaite Detective Agency
Jolly old Satterthwaite wasn't the most observant, or the most square-jawed private detective around. But he's a fun guy to be around, with a charming laugh and voice like your grandfather no matter which part of the continent you're from. And more importantly, he's trustworthy, professional and can deal with numbers like no one you've ever seen. He easily gathered important clients and contacts, and soon he became the most successful private detective in Ruixing.

He attracted apprentices and partners, and the Satterthwaite building he built became the go-to place when you need something investigated. The agency were also famous for their all-round security services, whether you need personal bodyguards, convoy escort, or simply a security consultant for your home.

The old man was also always a charitable man, with a soft spot to people down on their luck, and the building was often rented to down-on-their-luck magicians, enterprising businessmen, old widows, and even rival detectives.

But it’s been widely known that he’s been missing for more than a year.

And it turned out that his business sense and web of contacts are more important than people thought for a detective agency. For one reason or another, combined with one too many unsolved cases, people were starting to lose their trust. Old partners were leaving the building. And in fact, you think it's been at least six months since the agency had a paying case...

And the building's strategic location attracts interest from a lot of parties...
I don't have an actual media work which I based this game on, unlike my previous game. But visually and technologically, this is based on Shanghai or New York in the Roaring Twenties. Swing music, people in dapper suits, flapper girls, black cars, tommy guns, things like that. I like for my players to help me build my settings by adding small things to it, and the basic principle is, if it exists in the 1920s, it can exist here in alchemagical form. And of course, more modern things can exist in alchemagical form too.

The game will run here on GitP using Mutants and Masterminds 2e. You guys will be running around at PL 6, and you can buy ARMs as equipment, with the obvious limit that people with supernatural/magic powers can't use ARMs. Unlike in my previous game, I won't give you a standard ARM to use, and since you'll be using civilian ARM, there won't be any extra PL for your ARM.

ARMs are 2-3m tall powered armors using Mecha rules from Mecha and Manga. Visually, a Koubu (http://www.otakuweb.net/Models/Sakura_Wars_Models/koubu_0.jpg) from Sakura Wars is a good example of it.

To make things easier, here I'll give you an example of a basic ARM, an Edson Model T, the most widely used ARM in the continent. Feel free to use it as a base. All ARMs must have those three drawbacks though (noisy, control requirement, and limited power source).

Edson Model T (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=411240)

Mind though, that you're civilians, and excessive weaponry would definitely be illegal and attract unwanted attention. And you won't be able to bring your ARMs everywhere. But of course, if you get into complications because of leaving your ARMs, you can expect hero points.

Another thing to mind is, ARMs techs must be more down to earth than magic user in fluff. I mean, magic users can have things like telekinesis or create object, but the fluffs of ARM's techniques must be a bit more grounded in steampunk sci-fi things. But don't worry about it too much, you can simply run things with me first.

I strongly suggest that you run your character ideas with me before statting them, because I might limit or veto some things, and your character idea is important to make up what's going to be inside Satterthwaite Building and the game.


I figured this would be useful:

{table=head] Player | Character | Description |
Captain_Obvious | Clinton Carsten (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=427451) | noncombatant; clever, charismatic, no magical abilities | Ready
smuchmuch | Lin (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=412326) | combatant; ex-adventureress, widow, agency client, laying low | Ready
Stormwind | Jane Doe (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=427067) | combatant; young street urchin, curious, sneaky | Ready
Mekboy | Rusty Alice (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13802286&postcount=14) | combatant; prototype cyborg | Ready
Tengu_temp | Adela Morlton (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=429997) | combatant; female batman | Ready
[/table]

Tengu_temp
2012-08-21, 10:37 PM
Adela's finally done:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=429997

The_Admiral
2012-08-22, 03:38 AM
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=427451

I'm here!



Ever since his mother was killed in an accident, he was raised by his father to become a police officer. Like any typical child, he grudgingly went along with it.

As he grew up, he rebelled more and more against his father's training, culminating in him storming off after an argument to wander Pangaea.

He returned two years later, drawn by Satterthwaite's offer of a job at the Satterthwaite Detective Agency. He started his first day there, just as Satterthwaite vanished.

He is currently assisting in the attempt to keep the entire Agency from collapsing, his expertise with juggling money and near police officer levels of training helping to bail out this sinking ship.

Under his projected air of arrogance and cheerfulness, he knows that that is not nearly enough to stop it from going under. It would need a miracle and he may know the miracle worker in question.

Stormwind
2012-08-22, 05:27 AM
Jane Doe (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=427067)

Should we choose speech colors etc?

---

Jane's diaryOn a piece of paper clipped to the inside of the front cover of the notebook:
That was Mark Lee, the head of the Lee family. It is possibly the biggest crime family in the city, and he is the man responsible for the family being in the position it is now.

The metal faced man is his right hand man, only known as Ho. People say that he's half machine.

Square toes Lee, that cove was bit, and bit hard. Old grim fitted his son with a wooden surcoat. The one that did musta had a back-slang for they ain't bin nabbed. Iffin you could nose for the back-slang, or da one that did, might be useful. Dirt on the family, and a stag or crow too.

Translation: Old man Lee, he's been swindled and swindled hard. Old man death put his son in a coffin. The one that killed him must have had a back-way out or something because they haven't been caught. If you could keep an ear out for the back-way, or the one that did the deed, it might be useful. Information on the family and their enemies would also be good.


Enemies
- Mark Lee/Lee family: hard to ascertain who might want to kill Mr. Lee’s heir, because there are so many of them. Every single criminal family in the city has a grudge or might gain something from the murder.
Other motives (unknown)
- Lee's son(Dead): word on the street is, apparently he’s (was?) seeing someone, and he’s trying to hide it from his family for some reason.
(Scribbled note at the bottom of the page)
- someone is watching the agency .... why?



Bar - small sized bar frequented by bohemian students. Nothing suspicious observed. Lee's son's 'friends' supposedly frequent bar.
(Scribbled note at the bottom of the page in large print)
WE ARE BEING WATCHED.
You both had someone tailing you back to the building ...
There are also people watching the building. Not sure who they are, but at least they are not professional spook's ... still fairly good though.

Clipped to the third page is a note:

Clinton & Midnight Falcon(masked woman) heading to The Coal Engine (seedy bar) for 'discussion' with metal-faced man (Ho? - Lee's right hand man)

What if he's not dead. Could the son's "body" be a magical construct? Or even just somebody glamored to look like the son?

We've missing an obvious motive, and the simplest I can think of is that he wants to be with this girl that he's been seeing and he knows his family won't approve/allow it.

All the other motives that we've been able to contemplate or dig up are more mundane true, but nothing that would explain the strangeness of this case.

Zhiyou Jingshen - Very violent street gang, mostly magic based, werecreatures etc

They seem to focus on hitting technological targets ...

At the very bottom of the page is written a question,
What rumors?

... many blank pages ...


Potential leads:
Zhiyou Jingshen (leader an elf?) - Investigate(Jane, Everyone?)
Son's friends (bohemian bar) - Investigate(Clinton)
Ho - Surveillence(Jane)
Check the 'sons' body and determine the possibility that it could simply be a body with a glamour on it to look like the son - Investigate(Lin)
...


Clipped to the last page of the diary with a paper clip is Mr. Lee's business card. The address on the card is located in an elite part of the central district

Fri
2012-08-23, 09:43 AM
Sure, you could do that now.

Stormwind
2012-08-23, 10:18 AM
Jane (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=427067) will speak in "Teal"

The_Admiral
2012-08-23, 10:36 AM
Clinton shall speak in royal blue

should I bug mekboy and smuchmuch?

Stormwind
2012-08-23, 10:41 AM
I figured this would be useful:

{table=head] Player | Character | Description |
Captain_Obvious | Clinton Carsten (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=427451) | noncombatant; clever, charismatic, no magical abilities | Ready
smuchmuch | Lin (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=412326) | combatant; ex-adventureress, widow, agency client, laying low | Ready
Stormwind | Jane Doe (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=427067) | combatant; young street urchin, curious, sneaky | Ready
Mekboy | Rusty Alice (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13802286&postcount=14) | combatant; prototype cyborg | Ready
Tengu_temp | Adela Morlton (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=429997) | combatant; female batman | Ready
[/table]

Stormwind
2012-08-25, 02:35 AM
@Fri: I will be traveling for the next 6 days and will be without internet. If you start the IC before that then please NPC me as and if necessary.

Fri
2012-08-26, 08:50 PM
I'm back! Actually I was from a vacation last week, and I thought, well, why don't I use it to wait for the rest of the players.

Since they still haven't appeared, I'm going to message them now.

But I'm fine with the number of players we currently have now though.

The_Admiral
2012-08-28, 01:39 AM
Sooo, any reply?

Fri
2012-08-28, 02:26 AM
Yes, from smuchmuch at least :smallwink:

We can expect the IC thread in a day or two.

edit: Heck, why should we wait. I'll post an IC thread after work.

Fri
2012-08-28, 07:22 AM
IC thread is up!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13800285

Mekboy
2012-08-28, 02:44 PM
Alice here, and I'll use dark red.

Rusty Alice, prototype cyborg
Name:Rusty Alice (can’t remember any other)
Occupation: Private Investigator
Affiliation: Satterthwaite Detective Agency
Eyes: Muddy grey
Hair: Black
Skin: Pale
Height: 5’ 4”
Weight: 95kg (being half metal does that to you)

STR: 22 (+6)
DEX: 16 (+3)
CON: 20 (+5)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 10 (+0)
CHA: 14 (+2)

Toughness: +6
Fortitude: +6
Reflex: +3
Will: +0

Bluff + 6 (4), drive +11 (4), gather information +6 (4), intimidate +10 (8), investigate +4 (4), craft (armourer) +8 (8), search +4 (4)

Attack focus (melee)(6), attack specialization (customised revolver)(3), chokehold (1), contact (Mafia family)(1), equipment (motorbike)(2), fearless (1), improved disarm (3), improved grab (1), improved grapple (1), improved pin (1), improved throw (1), improved trip (1), instant up (1), quick draw (2)

Customised revolver: Easy to lose device, blast 6, autofire.

Attack +0,+ 6 (melee, revolver), grapple +6, damage +6 (revolver, unarmed), defence +6 (+3 flat-footed), knockback -4, initiative +3

Goals: Find Mr. Satterthwaite (short term), find creator (long term).
Complications: Questionable sanity, mild paranoia, amnesia.
Background:
Alice doesn’t remember much. Only little glimpses. A couple of faces here, a name there. She doesn’t even remember much of how she ended up half metal. Just that for some reason she needs to find the man that did it. Kill him maybe. She'd work it out when she got to it. Odd really. She can remember certain skills but not how she learnt them, even though they’re almost second nature. But all of that’s a problem for later. She needs to find Mr Satterthwaite. He was important too, somehow. Or maybe he’s a friend that needs help. Sometimes remembering the truth was difficult. Sometimes thinking was too confusing. Anyway, best just to act. Find Mr Satterthwaite. Work it all out. And then maybe it’ll stop being so confusing.

Cost breakdown
Abilities:(32 pts) + Saves:(2 pts) + Skills:(9 pts) + Feats:(25 pts) + Powers:(12 pts) + Attack/defence:(10)

The_Admiral
2012-08-29, 11:22 AM
All I've gotta say is a very childish, FIRST!

Where are all of you?

Fri
2012-08-30, 10:41 AM
glad to see all you guys here! Now we're going to do what I'd call a prologue mission. Some posts won't hurt you know. You don't have to join the chat, you could just introduce what your character is currently doing, but you should be in the building.

And I remembered that I draw a rough map of Ruixing months ago. Not terribly useful for finding place, but I hope it could help you visualize the set a bit. Satterwaithe building is located at the commercial district.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Faris/mappy2.jpg

smuchmuch
2012-08-31, 07:44 PM
I do realise how late I am and I do apoligise but If you would still have me, Lin Xao (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=412326) is mostly done.

I will post a small post in the IC, I'll edit it out if not

Stormwind
2012-09-01, 02:43 AM
Updated the table of characters (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13775663&postcount=8) (@Fri: perhaps it would be more useful if included at the end of the first post?)

Fri
2012-09-01, 04:02 AM
Updated the table of characters (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13775663&postcount=8) (@Fri: perhaps it would be more useful if included at the end of the first post?)

Yes, thank you for the table.

And glad to see everyone are here! Now the game can begin for real! Onto the prologue mission!

I have a few small tips that I noticed about playing an investigative game from my first game. This might be helpful for you in playing a detective game.

1. Talk about your theories (hopefully IC). If you have some theories, discussing it with the rest of the party might make fun post and might be helpful to bring the game forward. Conspiracy theories are fun for everyone, don't just keep it in your head!

2. Don't be afraid to split the party, at least in the investigative part of the game. This is weird, but in PbP game, splitting the party doesn't make as much as a headache as in real life game, in my opinion. You all have different strength and weakness, splitting the party might cover you more grounds in less amount of time. But of course, there're might be times when you think having the full power of the party will be useful. It's all up to you.

And the last one is unrelated to those, and I do hope that we won't have to reach this. But this is not less important.

3.Don't be afraid to formally leave the game. All of you have your own life. Don't worry, I won't hold it against you. Formally leaving the game is much, much better, than just disappearing and making everyone waiting for you.

And this is something that I might call a trademark of my game. Most of my game have specific premise, where it makes sense for members for the member of the party to resign or join the party. As you can see IC, I hinted that there are many members of the satterwaithe agency, so it makes sense if some resign or join an investigation.

I hope we can have fun!

Fri
2012-09-08, 09:10 AM
Sorry for the long time between replies. I thought maybe someone else want to react or something, but apparently not. Next time I'll try to reply faster for conversations like this.

And you can roll something like knowledge to know who is this guy.

The_Admiral
2012-09-09, 08:46 AM
I'm calling it, Cinderella's the killer. Also, where is everyone?

Tengu_temp
2012-09-09, 04:00 PM
Kinda busy lately with exams incoming. I'll post when I can, which is probably in ~12 hours.

Fri
2012-09-11, 08:54 PM
Sorry for the late reply, I got to prepare for a sudden job interview call.

Tengu_temp
2012-09-17, 05:09 AM
Due to exams I won't be able to post until the 20th or 21st, after all. Feel free to pretend Adela is just not there in the meantime.

Fri
2012-09-17, 10:02 PM
That's fine tengu. 21 september is close already anyway!

Once again, sorry for the somewhat slow reply. Once again it's because I thought other people might want to reply as well.

So, the introduction is over. Now you can start investigating. I guess it might be kinda overwhelming now.

That's why this is a prologue mission. This is a mission I designed (I hope) to introduce with my style of investigative game. It will be somewhat shorter than what you'll encounter later (though I hope will still be engaging), a bit more self contained than later cases (there will be plot, yes) and I tried to design this to showcase the setting.

Don't be afraid to ask me anything if you have any question!

Stormwind
2012-09-19, 06:21 AM
OOC: PEOPLE! WE NEED JOBS!

Jane, check out the word on the street. Lin, check out the artisans, they might know who made the slipper. Adela, can you abuse your resources to find out if any glass slippers was moved into the city? Finally, where the hell is Alice? I need her to check out the Mafias for motive for the murder. This could be a contract or an angry mafia guy's daughter.

EDIT: Also, somebody send that slipper to be checked for magic.
@Captain_Obvious: Looks like a good summary of where we start :smallbiggrin:

The_Admiral
2012-09-21, 06:01 AM
Okayy, where is everybody else? Also, can my dude start taking charge?

smuchmuch
2012-09-21, 06:48 AM
If you don't mind not being obeyed :smalltongue:

Personaly i'm just waiting to see if someone had anything to add right now. (Then Lin will rpoably take that damn room actualy).

Also before going tot he artisan and different contacts, we (or at least someone) should accompagny Clinton to the crime scene.
Ony one person, no matter how skilled they may be, may still miss or overlook something wich another one may pick up, they can also watch each other backs (even if at this point of the game I'm not expecting trouble yet), have an easier time getting answer or just simply coroborate each other storries if something happen. As such it's better to have at least two peoples for that kind of things.
(and in pure gamey term, aid checks)

The_Admiral
2012-09-21, 07:02 AM
Hmm choices

Lin: Good ish choice no real pros or cons.
Jane Doe: She can be unobtrusive. No second voice.
Rusty Alice: I can play good cop bad cop(My buddy here hasn't shot anyone for some time) . Not subtle in the least.
Adela Morlton: Was never on the list. She's a public figure. A no go, people know her.

what do the players think? Also, splitting up is for the purpose of the quick completion of our appointed rounds. We're on a deadline here peeps.

Stormwind
2012-09-21, 09:51 AM
As far as I'm concerned anyone can 'take charge', but I'd mention that most of us range from very independent to extremely independent, and that although we all should work as a team, that doesn't mean that any of us will necessarily accept orders :smallamused:
Of course, if Clinton phrases things as suggestions, I would think that they are much more likely to be followed :)

As far as someone to accompany Clinton to the crime scene, I'd suggest that someone else with good investigative skills could be a good idea.

The_Admiral
2012-09-23, 01:01 AM
Where the hell is Mek?

Fri
2012-09-23, 11:54 AM
If he's not around anymore, that's fine. We can do the game with the remaining people.

Anyway, when you start investigating, don't forget to give colourful descriptions rather than just rolling dice. The details of the description will help you.

Fri
2012-10-06, 08:22 AM
So, the forum is back on! Well, if you read this, that mean you know that already. So, are we still going?

Tengu_temp
2012-10-06, 08:57 AM
I'll most likely post as soon as I catch up with the game completely and think how to put Adela back into the game.

smuchmuch
2012-10-06, 09:05 AM
The game hasn't moved much, sadly

Lately my timetable has been murder (particulary on Tuesdays, Wensdays, thursdays) so that's kind of affecting my posting rate. I was vaguely hopping to see if anyone had anything important to say in the meantime but I thik I waited long enough.

Unless someone takes an initiative that change things, I'll post soon and get things moving on my side.

Fri
2012-10-06, 12:55 PM
Just while we're at it, this current mission is actually adapted from a short story I wrote for a local fantasy story competition. It didn't won any award, sadly.

smuchmuch
2012-10-06, 08:31 PM
Sorry, got distracted by something and i'm kind of tired now, make that tomorow for that post.

But while were at it, Fri, is there
-One (or more likely multiple) particular place/maket of the city with lots of artists, artisans and/or experts in rare and precious objects ?
-A shop in particular Lin would know that would be better to get information from. (there's the one from her family of course but she's likley would rather avpoid involving them for now)) ?

Or should I make up some ?
(I'll be checking the magic university possibly but only after i chack the artisans

Fri
2012-10-08, 10:16 AM
Yes, as I said, there's an artisan street of sort in the marketplace. And well, if you're not using the one from your background, I guess you'll have to start from generic shop.

Fri
2012-10-12, 02:41 AM
And man, now we're missing Captain Obvious.

Captain, are you here?

And tengu, we can simply assume that you're always there, and you can join one of the scene, or you can do your own investigation, of course.

The_Admiral
2012-10-12, 02:54 AM
Sorry, I depend heavily on the search to play in PBP. No search, no luck. But now that I have found this, ONWARDS!

smuchmuch
2012-10-12, 02:17 PM
(who would be likely to know more about whoever the son was seeing?)
(I'd say his friends and cohorts would be a good place to start. though i'd suggest you wait for Clintonn to be back fromt he crime scene before investigating that angle (mostly becasue he can talk but because he's more likely to have street cred with a bunch of thugs))

Stormwind
2012-10-12, 02:37 PM
(I'd say his friends and cohrots would be a good place to start. though i'd suggest you wait for Clintonn to be back fromt he crime scene before investigating that angle (mostly becasue he can talk but because he's more likely to have street cred with a bunch of thugs))
Yeah, I guess I should clarify. It's more of a question as to whether Jane's contacts would be likely to have any form of direct contact with/information about Lee's son's friends and cohorts. I'm guessing not - but I don't want to assume ... as the saying goes.

Questioning 'upper society' is very definitely not something that Jane should do and I agree it would be much better that someone else take that part of the investigation (once we get back together and discuss things) ... perhaps Clinton or Adela? But we can decide on that once we're all back together.

Fri
2012-10-17, 08:23 AM
Carlston, you should roll diplomacy or bluff or intimidate. Next time in case like this, do you want me to roll for you guys or for me to notify you like this?

Stormwind
2012-10-17, 10:07 AM
< snip > Next time in case like this, do you want me to roll for you guys or for me to notify you like this?I generally prefer to roll myself unless it is something where I (the player) shouldn't know the result of the roll.

Regardless, thats just my preferences, I'll go with the general concensus.

The_Admiral
2012-10-17, 10:11 AM
DIPLOMACY!

[roll0]

smuchmuch
2012-10-22, 07:58 AM
I'm okay with the Dm to roll for stuff that happens to my character (you are ging to walk into a trap, someone is following you, etc roll notice or you have been attacked by surprise fatfooted),
Particulary if The dm want to keep some secrecy about it or For speed sake.

For more active stuff I'd rather roll myself (or not roll at all whenever possible)

-------------------------------------------
Kay, going to make a roll on occult/ancient mysteries for 'elf dust' [roll0] if that applies.

Fri
2012-10-25, 08:30 PM
I know I forgot to mention something. Time. It's obvious that time is running and you can't do everything in a single day right? especially with investigating, which takes time. I guess it's more narrative than mechanical though. So I guess can we say that this is all you can do in this day, and if you want to do other things you must do it the next day?

The_Admiral
2012-10-25, 09:09 PM
A quick chat with the coroner should be able to be slipped into the day right?

Fri
2012-10-25, 11:00 PM
Yeah, I included the visit to the coroner in today's event.

Fri
2012-10-26, 09:46 AM
Lucky I don't use critical failure rule :smallbiggrin:

The_Admiral
2012-10-26, 09:55 AM
He is real creepy. Where's smuchmuch, Stormwind and Tengu_temp?

Fri
2012-10-26, 09:57 AM
I've talked with tengu. It's just, adela will join the game in a specific scene in the future.

And I think diplomacy is a whaddya call it, no reroll skill, except if the situation change. You know what I mean? You can use hero point to reroll though, if you want. Don't worry though, I'll say that you didn't blow anything, you just failed to improve your interaction.

I assume the others have it done for the in-game day, and waiting for your day to end. At least that's what I assume.

The_Admiral
2012-10-26, 10:07 AM
The try again was to stop him from creeping me out. If you still say nay, ignore the roll.

I think the context I was using it in has changed though.

1st: Trying to endear him to me.

2nd: Trying to stop him from creeping me out.

Fri
2012-10-26, 10:14 AM
Haha, if that's what you want it's fine. He'll stop creeping you out.

smuchmuch
2012-10-26, 01:59 PM
I assume the others have it done for the in-game day, and waiting for your day to end. At least that's what I assume.

(Nope, was just busy IRL and my connection internet has been terrible lately only letting me access to internet to post once in a blue moon.
I'll probaly end the day after my visit ot the college of magic is done, though, shouldn't be too long. )

Stormwind
2012-10-28, 05:33 AM
As presumed, Jane is basically waiting (and watching) for the others to return before she does anything else ...

Fri
2012-10-29, 07:52 PM
urgh, sorry for the slow reply. I have a lot in my mind.

smuchmuch
2012-11-05, 09:27 AM
(It has no importance but


"A stab straight in the heart would make a fountain of blood."

I'm no forsenics experts but I do know a bit about physiology and vivisection and from what i know, not as much as you'd think, actualy.

Stabbing directly the heart would make it stop almost instantly thus dropping the pressure. You'd get a very large puddle of blood (if you stabbed through a ventricle and if the knife has been pulled of the wound quickly), true, but not so much a 'fountain' (for that you need a major artery) and most of it would likely drench the corpse's clothes or the floor


Collecting blood? Could a knife be designed to mechanically make it look like two stabs were made and to reduce bloodsplatter?

...Now I'm imagining our 'Cinderella' stabbing Lee the younger with an oversized syringue *Snicker*
But seriously, I don't think that's possible to do the first effect without being one very weird and likely unweildy knife.)
And it would be terribly innefiicent at the second un less the bladde was large and hollow

Needless to say I'm well aware this is completly irrelevant in a setting that has giant steam powered robots and elves, I just wanted to say)

On an unrelated matter, I like that corroner.

The_Admiral
2012-11-05, 10:25 AM
First stab was a regular kitchen knife, so second stab, magical force field?

Fri
2012-11-11, 08:35 PM
Ugh, sorry, I'm having a lot of problems IRL. And to top that, someone stole my brand new smartphone in a bus.

I'll post something that hopefully can start a chat, hopefully soon. Because bouncing ideas back and forth about a case is pretty important in an investigation.

Stormwind
2012-11-13, 02:24 AM
Opening the book at page one, Clinton squints at the incomprehensible slang making a personal note to catch up with some of his "friends" in the know for a translation, copying down the thing word for word on a scrap of paper subsequently stuffing it into his pocket.
Since I'm not sure when exactly Clinton is going to get the slang translated, I'll post it here and you can use it whenever he actually speaks to some of his "friends"...

Square toes Lee, that cove was bit, and bit hard. Old grim fitted his son with a wooden surcoat. The one that did musta had a back-slang for they ain't bin nabbed. Iffin you could nose for the back-slang, or da one that did, might be useful. Dirt on the family, and a stag or crow too.

Translation: Old man Lee, he's been swindled and swindled hard. Old man death put his son in a coffin. The one that killed him must have had a back-way out or something because they haven't been caught. If you could keep an ear out for the back-way, or the one that did the deed, it might be useful. Information on the family and their enemies would also be good.


______________________________


Ugh, sorry, I'm having a lot of problems IRL. And to top that, someone stole my brand new smartphone in a bus.

I'll post something that hopefully can start a chat, hopefully soon. Because bouncing ideas back and forth about a case is pretty important in an investigation.Sorry to hear that RL is problematic, hopefully things improve in the future.

The_Admiral
2012-11-13, 06:39 AM
He has connections on the police council, these dudes should have a cryptologist on call. That or a bunch of criminals, it seems like an equivalent of street slang.

smuchmuch
2012-11-13, 09:46 AM
It seems like very heavy street slang to me too, so i assume any other street urchin or nayone from whatever lower part of the city Jane is from would be able to tell. (Assuming they can read and writte in the first palce that is.)

The_Admiral
2012-11-13, 10:20 AM
Also, i'm being paranoid because this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_microphone) seemed like something that could easily be recreated with magic. So yeah.

Tengu_temp
2012-11-13, 11:47 AM
By the way, in case anyone is wondering where have I disappeared: I'm waiting for an opportune moment to enter the game. According to Fri, one should happen in the game pretty soon.

Stormwind
2012-11-13, 12:41 PM
He has connections on the police council, these dudes should have a cryptologist on call. That or a bunch of criminals, it seems like an equivalent of street slang.

It seems like very heavy street slang to me too, so i assume any other street urchin or nayone from whatever lower part of the city Jane is from would be able to tell. (Assuming they can read and writte int he first palce that is.)

Yep. It's actually an archaic form of "Thieves Cant" from 18th century England, I just figured it would fit the setting well.
As far as the game goes, anyone familiar with street slang or criminal doublespeak ought to be able to decipher it. Alternatively, you could just ask Jane :smalltongue:

_________________________________

smuchmuch
You don't need to post a skill check with every post you make, y'know.

I'm sorry, maybe it's because my english isn't too good but i'm not sure I'm following you here ? Not sure where there's any 'offer of assistance' per se ?
I mean you just said your character had a question in her eyes, Lin noticed it and just asked you to shoot it; that's all.Sorry for the confusion: To put it simply, Jane's still in the process of deciding whether she trusts Lin. The 'offer of assistance' simply refers to Lin's involvement in the entire matter.
The questioning look was intended to be the equivalent of someone simply asking "Can we trust you?"

smuchmuch
2012-11-13, 06:12 PM
Yep. It's actually an archaic form of "Thieves Cant" from 18th century England, I just figured it would fit the setting well.

(Actualy it was the setting of the last round of game in the universe that was more inspired by Victorian england (and a shamelees dose of Pratchet inspiration too :smalltongue:)
That one, in original intention at least is more supposed to be 1920es and 30'es noir, american prohibition era and such, I think.
Of course this being a fantaisy setting, you caa pretty much throw anything no matter how anochronistic into the mix as long as it's stay a half coherent as a whole.)


Also, i'm being paranoid because this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_microphone) seemed like something that could easily be recreated with magic. So yeah.

Well in the previous game (who took place in the same universe but a couple of centuries back hence why I mention it in the first place) there where lots of magipunk objects with function similar to modern tech but the theme of this game here seems to be the decline of magic so I think magical object are a lot less frequent.

(Just to check: Fri, the cars and guns are normal combustion engine and chemistry powered this time round, not alchemy ? (and am i wrong to suspect the Arms are more half steampunk/half magipunk rathe than full steampunk now)

Besides I just don' t think we're handling anything that sensitive we'd be likley to run into people equiped with something like that at the moment, that's all.


By the way, in case anyone is wondering where have I disappeared: I'm waiting for an opportune moment to enter the game. According to Fri, one should happen in the game pretty soon.

(Then maybe it might be a good idea not to delay end of the day too much and put going after the people tailing us for later ? (they'll likely be still be here tomorow))

Fri
2012-11-14, 01:17 AM
Oh no, no. Do whatever you want, don't mind the situation with tengu now. If you think you should meet the guys tailing you tonight, do it tonight. You never know what would happen tomorrow, after all :smallwink:

The_Admiral
2012-11-14, 01:24 AM
Storm, can Jane take the lead and lead my dude to the spooks? He's got a gun.

The_Admiral
2012-11-20, 08:32 AM
Little help here? Jane, take em out? Please?

Can I bug my contacts for radios?

Fri
2012-11-20, 09:14 AM
I thought you just want to talk with them?

The_Admiral
2012-11-20, 09:17 AM
For interparty communication.

Also, not literally, just tie em up.

Fri
2012-11-20, 09:22 AM
I mean I thought you want to talk to the watchers :smallbiggrin:.

Nevermind, I have a new post coming!

Edit: And sure. Next time you can get radios.

smuchmuch
2012-11-20, 09:25 AM
Well the people tailing you aren't hostile yet as far as we can tell and you have charisma and bluff (a good bluff score is the best superpower in M&M) or diplomacy so you can atempt to talk to them without having to tie em up first. (Or at least stall for time while Jane get the drop on them)

@V Woops. Yeah, well you weren't being very clear in your terms.

The_Admiral
2012-11-20, 09:30 AM
That comment was totally unrealted to the current attempt to avoid the watchers.

Except for the fact that we are kinda short on IC interparty communications. I was asking if I could bug my contacts to supply us with a walky talky device of some sort to assist in communications.

Fri
2012-11-20, 09:34 AM
Yeah, you can get two way radio later. Radio exist in this setting after all, as evidenced by the opening scene.

smuchmuch
2012-11-20, 10:10 AM
(Yeah but just because radio exist means it is necessarily advanced enough to be portable yet.
(Radio started being used in the early 1900' but the first talkie walkies only came in the 1940'es, I believe.)

On a somewhat related you didn't answer my earlier question how much of the tech if the setting is still magipunk and how much is steampunk (I assume the ARMs are at least part that) or 'normal', or at least work close enough of how their real life equivalent would ?

(I just think it would be a somewhat good idea what to expect tech wise, generaly, so we we'd know not to have a character pull out, let's say, a magical computer (or even a non magical one for that matter) or buy a plane ticket in a setting who isn't supposed to have them)

Stormwind
2012-11-20, 11:30 AM
Jane's fairly happy with her current level of tech ... knives and notebooks - both of which she has.

Of course there are potential problems for her using anything useful such as walkie-talkies ... but that's part of the fun of that particular drawback :smallwink:

Edit: There's a minor problem with Jane 'taking someone out' ... she can do it, but it's lethal. Remember - she has the physique of a young teenage girl - she's not going to be particularly good at physically overpowering anyone. That's why she has her knives - to give her an edge :smallbiggrin:

Fri
2012-11-20, 01:25 PM
@Smuchmuch.

Ah yeah. Well, it's case by case basis, so if you have something out of ordinary in mind you should run it by me first, but basically whatever exist in the real 1920s should exist in this setting. With Zeppelins instead of plane of course. Can't forget the zeppelins :smallbiggrin:

The main difference with real world is the existence of alchemy of course. So weird gadgets could and should exist. But yeah, a computer shouldn't exist.

To make it less arbitrary, I discussed it with my friend, and I think you can use this as rule of the thumbs. I really don't want to lay too much ground rules, because it mostly run in rule of cool, but

Common alchemy makes something that could exist in real life, but made way better. Like an alchemical sword is a sword that's made by alchemy so it's somehow sharper and lighter than ordinary sword. Alchemical explosives and flash bangs and smoke bombs are primitive compared to our real life explosives, but it's alchemical, so somehow it works better than it should. Alchemical power sources are common and better than what should exist at that point technologically so you could have gun that shoot electricity or fire and alchemically powered grappling gun. Powered armor and mechanical limbs exist because the limbs somehow work better than what's expected by technology at that point...

Magic items are things that are reality warping. Like rings that somehow protect your whole body from damage, let you read mind, or conjuring items... These things are now rare.

...I know it's still kinda arbitrary. And of course, a variation of clarke's third rule exist here, that is, a sufficiently advanced alchemy might look like magic. As I said, it's just rule of thumb, and we'll use rule of cool more.

Anyway as I said, since the case is that I like the idea of you guys having walkie talkie, so I'll allow you guys to have some later.

The_Admiral
2012-11-20, 07:28 PM
Tengu! I believe it is time for a BATMAN style intervention.

HELP!

smuchmuch
2012-11-21, 03:58 AM
(... No offense, but kinda hopping Jane mised here. While sending a message you don't like being threatened is one thing, wacking off a gangster good has a good chance of turning into an invitation for bloody retaliation later.)


that is, a sufficiently advanced alchemy might look like magic

.. Isn't alchemy, as a matter of fact, just applied magic in this setting ?

Stormwind
2012-11-21, 06:12 AM
(... No offense, but kinda hopping Jane mised here. While sending a message you don't like being threatened is one thing, wacking off a gangster good has a good chance of turning into an invitation for bloody retaliation later.)Actually, I'm of the opinion that with any two parties, if one side is intent on violence, then the other party simply can't avoid violence ... and that's without even discussing the entire escalation thing ...

In this situation, Jane is attempting the "hit first, hit fast and hard" in the hope that the total amount of violence in the current situation is minimized. It's a solution that works well on the streets, and thus fits her rather well.

I do realize that this could lead to problems later - but that'll simply give more opportunity for RP later on ..

... at least, that's my 2c worth.


(OOC: By the way, do you prefer me using spoiler tags for individual response or not?)I like spoiler tags for information that is specific to one character ...

The_Admiral
2012-11-21, 06:25 AM
Dammit, messed up the roll

[roll0]

Fri
2012-11-22, 03:38 AM
Just saying that my internet had been dead for unknown reason for these last few days. I dunno why. I'm posting from work now. Hopefully it'll be resolved soon.

The_Admiral
2012-11-22, 05:24 AM
Initiative
[roll0]

COMEON!

Tengu_temp
2012-11-22, 10:55 AM
Initiative:
[roll0]

The_Admiral
2012-11-22, 11:03 AM
My dude's a horrible shot.

Stormwind
2012-11-23, 02:08 AM
Jane
Initiative: [roll0]

Fri
2012-11-23, 04:43 AM
.. Isn't alchemy, as a matter of fact, just applied magic in this setting ?

You're right, but I just need an uh, some sort of rationalization on why we could still have wondrous alchemical items but no magic item. So that's what I got. I'm actually pretty bad at these kind of things.

Fri
2012-11-26, 03:38 AM
Just saying that my internet is up again! Which gave me no reason for my sad slow rate of post for combat...

Tengu_temp
2012-11-26, 05:02 PM
Trip attack roll as reaction: [roll0]
Trip check: [roll1]
Toughness: [roll2]

Tengu_temp
2012-11-26, 05:06 PM
What the hell is this roll.
Toughness reroll with HP: [roll0]

Stormwind
2012-11-27, 10:39 AM
heh ... I guess that Jane had to roll poorly eventually ... I wonder whether that's a hit ... guessing that it's _possible_ if not probable, but lets see :smallcool:

Fri
2012-11-28, 11:45 PM
Seriously, the thugs keep rolling really badly. Almost all of the toughness rolls are below 10, or even below 5. Should've just used mooks, really.

Stormwind
2012-11-30, 02:14 AM
Seriously, the thugs keep rolling really badly. Almost all of the toughness rolls are below 10, or even below 5. Should've just used mooks, really.
Actually, it was good to have the thugs have some stamina and not go down like mooks, in a single hit. It gave a more gritty feel, like even the thugs are dangerous, rather than the mop the floor without even breathing heavy feeling.

@Tengu: Glad to see you joining us. Good timing :smallbiggrin:


Does anyone know if Mekboy is still around and/or will be joining us?

smuchmuch
2012-12-06, 04:57 PM
Called it. .. or not. (The roughing clinton up part intruigues me and let me half metal face is working behind his boss back for someone else, possibly.)


Midnight Falcon tries to remember if she knows anyone who fits this description. People with half-metal faces are hard to miss, after all!

Yep she does, she saw one just this very morning (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13844678&postcount=13) (Lee's lieutenant/bodyguard)

Okay, it could be someone else but I think it unlikelly. The number of people who have a face made half of metal can't that many.

(And, Fri, since you still haven't confirmed, at this point I'll just assume the most probable, that yes Lin's and Clinton's powder samples look exactly the same and are both elf dust, shall I ?)

Tengu_temp
2012-12-06, 06:19 PM
Oops. Well, that's what I get for re-joining the game after 2 months!

Fri
2012-12-08, 05:40 AM
Oh sorry, smuchmuch. Yes, you're right. Both samples are elf dusts.

Tengu_temp
2012-12-09, 01:09 AM
Hey, Captain Obvious, you can take 10 for the heal roll, and with a +5 modifier that'll be an auto-success on stabilizing.

The_Admiral
2012-12-09, 03:15 AM
I can? COOL!

FRI! I do just that, take ten on the heal roll.

smuchmuch
2012-12-09, 08:28 AM
As long as you're not 'in danger', you can take 10 on a roll. Taking ten means taking a bit more time though (usualy in the order of a few/dozens of minutes or so), so it depends weither the guy has that or not left.

(Throat wounds are usualy very lethal. Depends weither the thrachea or the juggular. In the first case he's got some time (I think ? I'm no doctor, I just talking from my knowlege of phisiology.), in the second a lot less so you want to stop the bleeding very fast. I'm assuming that Jane's knife didn't went in too deep meaning no risk severing of the carotid or the spine which would be both pretty much near instant death)

edit: Well look like he made it, anyway.

Fri
2012-12-10, 10:41 AM
Well, I don't know if you want to do anything else with the thugs, but they're exiting the stage now so you could move on to next scenes or what else you can think of. They're just mooks! And someone might want to summarize the result of your investigation so far to tengu either oocly or icly. Though if he want to read the whole thread again, he might find something you missed or something.

Tengu_temp
2012-12-12, 09:34 AM
Damn, I forgot: does Clinton know that Adela is Midnight Falcon?

smuchmuch
2012-12-12, 09:58 AM
Assuming Midnight falcon took precuations to make sure her disguise isn't too paper thin even for someone who saw her in both her identities, that'd probably be up to you ?

Tengu_temp
2012-12-12, 11:55 AM
Yeah, but I'd like to be sure we're all on one page here.

The_Admiral
2012-12-12, 01:38 PM
How about Clinton does not know because he has not been paying attention? IC'ly he'll do a Sherlock scan sooner or later.

Fri
2012-12-12, 08:26 PM
You guys are going to visit The Coal Engine now? I wonder if you shouldn't invite Lin. It's just, you know, I feel bad for her to be left behind for so long.

Tengu_temp
2012-12-12, 08:35 PM
We could do that, yes. Let's not keep the party apart.

The_Admiral
2012-12-13, 01:28 AM
But Clinton has no reason to drag the old lady on a potentially fatal adventure.

smuchmuch
2012-12-13, 03:03 AM
Try calling her old in her face and you'll have a reason, getting her before she gets you :smalltongue: (She's in her mid/late thirties, y'know, miss Mapple she ain't.)

But yeah I'll admit that's a pretty good reason in character.
(Comme to think Lin might feel she's getting a bit too old for going into seedy bars full of surly thugs to annoy mafia henchmen for no particulary good reason.
But, hey it'll remind her good times, besides adventuring is like bycicle, no matter how rusty, it never really fully go away.)


We could do that, yes. Let's not keep the party apart.

In a game like that, I fully expect the party will be split often and for extended periods of time.

I personaly don't mind it as long as I do get somethign to do, to be clear, but I understand fri doesn't have anything on the sides planned so I wouldn't mind getting back into the main swing either.

Stormwind
2012-12-13, 07:42 AM
OOC: To expedite things, if Lin would like to join the action at the bar, then Jane could always pop in to the Scatterwaithe builidng and give Lin a note with the address.
Specifically since it's not the sortof place that Jane is likely to be allowed in ... she could well 'fetch backup', and Lin is the only other adult currently involved.

Either way, Jane will be hanging around, ... outside the bar.

smuchmuch
2012-12-13, 08:05 AM
Aound a drink would be as good as any other place to sum up in character of what was learned today to Adela.
(Also I think lin didn't actualy say what he learned to Clinton for that matter but givent he info, it's not particulary urgent anyway)

Except Midnight falcon will likely be in costume, so I guess that angle is kinda out.

Invite LIn, drop a note or don't, as I said, I'll go with whichtever.


Specifically since it's not the sortof place that Jane is likely to be allowed in ... she could well 'fetch backup', and Lin is the only other adult currently involved.

Either way, Jane will be hanging around, ... outside the bar. .

Jane's a street urchin, they tend to pass unseen (and that's even without considering yJane's stealth score that is so outrageously high she'd still be sneaky was strapped to a one man band), and it's a seedy bar in a bad place of town.
Unless she annoys the customers (at which point you may get the boot) , I doubt anyone will ask for her ID. Or even remotely care about her existence.

Stormwind
2012-12-14, 03:50 AM
Yeah ... Jane's sneaky enough to get in and out and remain unnoticed should she need to .. I was thinking more of her going in without sneaking - besides, the interrogation and getting information out of people (outside of her street contacts) isn't really her strong point. She's better at watching from the shadows :smallbiggrin:

Fri
2012-12-18, 04:24 AM
What is this, Watchmen?

You know the scene I'm talking about. I can't link you the actual scene, so hopefully the G-rated one is suffice.

http://envyskort.deviantart.com/art/G-Rated-Watchmen-Part-2-117642318

smuchmuch
2012-12-18, 06:06 AM
"Now gimme your fingers, we're going to play 'this little piggy' "

The_Admiral
2012-12-20, 10:11 AM
I want to do a sherlock scan, just to prove him wrong.

So notice to pick up on the tiny details and what do I roll to interpret them?

Fri
2012-12-21, 01:34 AM
Oh sure, just roll notice I guess. And remind me, who have used hero point?

Tengu_temp
2012-12-21, 02:42 AM
I did, but I still have one left.

Waiting for others in the IC thread right now.

The_Admiral
2012-12-21, 02:44 AM
Notice
[roll0]

Fri
2012-12-21, 09:21 PM
Just saying that I'm on vacation in my parents' place until new year, so my posting might become even spottier than usual.

The_Admiral
2012-12-21, 09:49 PM
So what did he deduce from that spot check?

smuchmuch
2012-12-21, 11:45 PM
What you can deduce from a Notice check ? Nothing :smalltongue:

(Just want to point out that normaly the Notice skill is just weither your character see some details, to analyse them as that would probaly be something else to roll as well. Pure int probably or Investgation)*
Normaly I wouldn't care much, but in a mostly investigation based game these kind of disntinction might have their have their importance.

*Or for the real fun, not roll at all and try to see what you can deduce yourself rom the details yourself)

Haven't used a hero point yet.

I too will be vaccationing away from home till the 2 or so, so I'm not sure how good my access to internet will be. Probably won't affect my already sluggish anyway posting rate much but just in case, I tough I'd warn.

The_Admiral
2012-12-22, 01:24 AM
SO what does Clinton notice? What tiny important details does he see?

Fri
2012-12-26, 12:45 PM
Sorry, I was taken by the holiday spirit too much. I hope you guys are having a nice holiday too.

Let's see... I rolled investigate for you, and from the body language you can deduce that before having to use the prosthetic, you think he used to be some kind of athlete, and from the shape of his face, he used to be quite handsome too.

More importantly, from how he wear the prosthetic, you deduce that there's hidden weapon inside it.

Fri
2013-01-02, 10:56 AM
I'm back guys, sorry for the long interval, I really need that rest it turn out. I hope you guys are still here. It's very late now, so I'm going to post tomorrow.

Fri
2013-01-04, 07:52 PM
There, a post. Sorry for the long hiatus.

Stormwind
2013-01-22, 02:48 AM
Sorry if I haven't posted much in this game, was swamped in exams till the 18.
Anyone else still here ?Yep ... still here, in the shadows :smallwink:

The_Admiral
2013-01-22, 03:35 AM
Waiting for his reaction to the Falcon

Fri
2013-01-22, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I'm also swamped with problems, plus I'm moving out of my place this month. I'm really sorry about the slowness of the game, I can only say that.

Stormwind
2013-01-23, 02:28 AM
Yeah, I'm also swamped with problems, plus I'm moving out of my place this month. I'm really sorry about the slowness of the game, I can only say that.No worries ... Life is like that from time to time ...


Jane's Initiative: [roll0]

Edit: I guess surprise has affected Jane's reaction speed this time :smallcool:

Tengu_temp
2013-01-23, 04:31 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

The_Admiral
2013-01-23, 04:49 AM
[roll0]

Initiative is taken

THough I suggest we emulate the brave sir robin.

smuchmuch
2013-01-23, 07:15 AM
Lin forgot her rocket launcher in her other purs"e, so I agree.

(Actualy between Lin, Falcon and Jane there might be a way to neutralize the arms by getting to the pilot (stealth, acrobatics and grappling hook, gotta be something workable here). But I'd rather keep that kind of crazy stunt for later, when it's more tense. I don't want to use all the A material in the introduction chapter.)

I assume the situation is somewhat like that:

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad15/smuchmuch/Illustrations/small/HiSmap1.png

The good new si that the ARm probably hasn't much room to maneouver.
The bad news is that it dosn't need much to crush us into fine paste.

So hiding fand fleeing sound good for now.

Assuming the ARm isn't directly in the way, I suppose Falcon could try to make a beeline for Ho and if she neutralize him, forced him to make his goon back up but he seems pretty tough, so that's risky.

Initiative [roll0]
edit: ouch

Fri
2013-01-25, 09:17 AM
Funnily enough, there's a chance that Falcon can trip that ARM now. It's a medium sized ARM.

And thanks for that pic, smuchmuch.

edit: and yeah, of course exactly that happens.

Stormwind
2013-01-26, 07:21 AM
It looks like Ho is having a bad day .... :smallamused:

smuchmuch
2013-01-26, 08:19 AM
Seriously ? she tripped a giant metal box on leg ? (okay so the way it's written makes a bit of sense in that the ARm tripped himself trying to crush it's boss but still...)

Hum that said, Admiral, unless you have some quickness you realise the ARM is likely to likely to get back up way before you finish picking the lock ? (Wouldn't it be quicker to just shoot it ? We won't tell the mythbuster, promess :smalltongue:)

The_Admiral
2013-01-26, 08:23 AM
I want to pull a get out, we're switching.

smuchmuch
2013-01-26, 08:29 AM
Yes I understand that (besides I doubt shooting the arm with a simple regular pistol wouldn't do much), I meant shoot the lock open rather than fiddling with it.

Even if you do not take ten and to roll well, actions like opening locks take a certain amount of time. Likely more than the six seconds a round the length of a round is supposed to be.
So if you dodn't mind I'll jsut prep an action to grab you in case it gets back up before you could open the lock.

Tengu_temp
2013-01-26, 12:40 PM
Seriously ? she tripped a giant metal box on leg ? (okay so the way it's written makes a bit of sense in that the ARm tripped himself trying to crush it's boss but still...)


She's the goddamn Batman after all.

Fri
2013-01-26, 02:29 PM
Mr Ho rolled really really well on that toughness save.

Fri
2013-01-28, 02:39 AM
So smuchmuch, are you witholding your action for now or you want to act?

Tengu_temp
2013-01-28, 01:47 PM
Why are you moving again, Stormwind? It's still the same turn.

Stormwind
2013-01-28, 05:13 PM
Why are you moving again, Stormwind? It's still the same turn.
Post #196 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14598101&postcount=196): Fri responded to Jane's previous action(which was post#195 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14596632&postcount=195)) ... hence I posted her next action.
I generally take the GM's response to a post to indicate that I can post my characters next action, but I guess YMMV ....

Tengu_temp
2013-01-29, 12:13 AM
Have you seen the NPCs move in the meantime? It's still the same turn.

Fri
2013-01-30, 09:51 AM
I'm also not expecting this. Anyway, yeah, it was still the previous round. Now you can move.

The_Admiral
2013-01-30, 09:54 AM
Can I burn my new hero point for a re roll and use extra effort to bring my bonus up to +4?

Fri
2013-01-30, 10:15 AM
sure you can

The_Admiral
2013-01-30, 10:18 AM
OKAY DON'T FAIL ME NOW!

[roll0]

All hail the gods, does he succeed in opening the hatch?

Tengu_temp
2013-01-31, 02:46 PM
Is Ho getting away with the power of plot (which is why we got Hero Points), or can we try to chase him?

Fri
2013-02-03, 04:33 AM
I really hate to say that he's running away with the power of the plot, but yeah, let's just say that if you chase him, there's very little chance of you catching him.

The_Admiral
2013-02-03, 04:40 AM
So how does my switch go over?

Tengu_temp
2013-02-03, 08:32 AM
I really hate to say that he's running away with the power of the plot, but yeah, let's just say that if you chase him, there's very little chance of you catching him.

Well, that's one of the official M&M rules. We get a hero point if the bad guy gets away and the circumstances make it impossible to catch him.

The_Admiral
2013-02-07, 02:24 AM
if we keep the mech, I want to repaint it red with flames just to reference the way we stole it.

Also, What kind of circus act?

Fri
2013-02-07, 06:52 AM
Yes, I guess you got yourself an ARM.

This reminds me on Silent Storm instead, where the only way to get a mech there is to steal it from enemies.

The_Admiral
2013-02-07, 07:05 AM
He sounds like the roman soldiers that get beaten up in Asterix and Obelix.

Also we now got our Gurren, all we need now is a Laggan. :smallbiggrin:

smuchmuch
2013-02-07, 07:22 AM
Just to make it regular, how much would the arm cost as equipement ?
(I'm thinking if it isn't too expensive we could all pitch in a point (when we get them) or two to buy it as a collective asset)

Else I guess it'll just be temporary till a good reason to have it away comes up. (Come to think of it there are a few, confiscated, stolen back (poetic injustice), runs out fuel, get crashed etc...)


He sounds like the roman soldiers that get beaten up in Asterix and Obelix.

He kinda does.


Also, What kind of circus act?

Something like that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaTrJ_ZddmY), just replace the ladder with a giant robot.

Jane can throw knives and Lin can do trapeze, if the whole detective thing doesn't pan out... :smallbiggrin:
(I'm having the strangest mental image of Falcon, Jane and Lin dressed in clown attire and starring the audience into sheer terror. Clinton however is a born one :smalltongue:)

The_Admiral
2013-02-07, 09:40 AM
Also, I wanna go for it gets wrecked. Falcon, you can add Roger to your resume. :smallbiggrin:

BIG O, SHOWTIME!

Tengu_temp
2013-02-07, 10:10 AM
But I don't even have any ranks in Pilot! Actually, maybe I can. What are the stats of an ARM? Are they put anywhere?



Also we now got our Gurren, all we need now is a Laggan. :smallbiggrin:

It'd have to be so tiny, a Capuchin monkey would pilot it.

The_Admiral
2013-02-08, 12:02 AM
Are oversized heads fashionable this time of the century?

Stormwind
2013-02-08, 02:26 AM
I believe that Fri posted the stats for an ARM in his initial setup post ... yep here it is: Edson Model T (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=411240)

I have no idea if that's what we are looking at ... but at least it is the most common ARM on the continent:
ARMs are 2-3m tall powered armors using Mecha rules from Mecha and Manga. Visually, a Koubu from Sakura Wars is a good example of it.

To make things easier, here I'll give you an example of a basic ARM, an Edson Model T, the most widely used ARM in the continent. Feel free to use it as a base. All ARMs must have those three drawbacks though (noisy, control requirement, and limited power source).

Edson Model T (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=411240)

Mind though, that you're civilians, and excessive weaponry would definitely be illegal and attract unwanted attention. And you won't be able to bring your ARMs everywhere. But of course, if you get into complications because of leaving your ARMs, you can expect hero points.

The_Admiral
2013-02-08, 04:18 AM
Dammit, too small.

Screw it, we're just calling our new mech Gurren for the reference.

Stormwind
2013-02-08, 05:27 AM
Hmm .... interesting piece of in game trivia: Jane(19), Falcon(22) & Clinton(23) are all roughly the same actual age, whilst Lin(35) is the group elder. Of course with makeup and masks, it's much harder to determine age (and Jane simply still looks like a 13yr old).

Either way, age might make for some interesting group dynamics, ... that and the fact that Clinton is the only male in the group :smallamused:

Stormwind
2013-02-08, 05:48 AM
@Fri - what does the ARM look like? Is it old/scrap or new/refurbished? Is it well maintained? Is it a standard model? Does it have any obvious oddities?

Notice: [roll0]


Also what does Jane know about ARM's (i.e. what sort of people/agencies are likely to own them, Civilian or otherwise)?

Knowledge(streetwise): [roll1]




With respect to the ARM we have a few choices:

Keep it, and keep it hidden (maybe Falcon can help? ... I'm guessing it's illegal, since we're not the legal owners)
(This might be problematic due to the fact that we haven't 'paid' for it with PL points so we might loose it easily too)
Keep it, and legitimize it: I'm thinking that (if we want to legitimize the ARM) we can dump the legal problems with it on Charles Chan (see post #1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13800285&postcount=1) in the IC thread) since he works in one of the biggest law firms in the city.
(This might be problematic due to the fact that we haven't 'paid' for it with PL points so we might loose it easily too)
Sell it ... the agency definitely can use the money ... and this bypasses the fact that it's not 'paid' for since our characters don't get the money ... the agency would ...

What are people thinking here? Jane doesn't really have any personal interest in it (since she can't use it anyway), but naturally she sees the usefulness of it for the agency ...

Tengu_temp
2013-02-08, 06:11 AM
Well, I don't have the feat to control mecha either. Maybe something for the future...

We could hide it somewhere for now, maybe in Falcon's garage. Should be useful.

smuchmuch
2013-02-08, 09:20 AM
Crunch wise:
Well an ARm is 20 pp so that's 4 pp if you buy it as equipement, 16 pp if you buy it as a hard to loose device


(This might be problematic due to the fact that we haven't 'paid' for it with PL points so we might loose it easily too)

(Yes that what I said before. Hence why i ask if you people want to pay with it collectively when we get points at the end of either this one or next chapter/issue (it's a possible thing, people often do it with HQ or big vehicle), at four pp every player could give one.

The mecha proefficency feat while very preferable is not mandatory to pilot a robot technicaly, jsut to be able to use it correctly without having to do a piloting check at every move
But someone can buy it later and easily justify it as having learn to us to use the damn thing.

Just so we're clear I don't expect the thing to be used all the time (or very often for that matter) and not keeping it is a perfectly valid option. But if we keep it, I'm sure we'll find some occasion for it to be usefull
(Besides poor Fri has made two game based on ARm and they almost never get used


Sell it ... the agency definitely can use the money ... and this bypasses the fact that it's not 'paid' for since our characters don't get the money ... the agency would ...

If we don't decide to keep it that's a pretty elegant solution to the problem.


Keep it, and keep it hidden (maybe Falcon can help? ... I'm guessing it's illegal, since we're not the legal owners)

We stole it from the mob, a police complain is very unlikely. And the least of our worries if they decide they didn't like us stealing from them.

Of course we could alway see that with Mr Lee himself if he could lend it to su, I doubt an Arm means much to him.
And I'm sure he would prettyyy interested to know his trusted lieutenant jsut tried to make us drop the enquiry he tasked us with himself.


Also what does Jane know about ARM's (i.e. what sort of people/agencies are likely to own them, Civilian or otherwise)?

It's likely going to be a very long list.
The premice of the first game that took place in the setting can be dezcribed as 'magi/steampunk Partlabor'. The thing is, while they are giant robots, don't think of ARM as awesome weapon of war and hyper rare prototypes and such. Think of ARM as basicaly fancy humanoid versatile heavy duty equipement. So many people have use for them, be it as cranes, construction machinery, tanks, police patrollers, combine harvesters or just forklifts, you name it.

It's possible the setting changed a bit in a century though, the description made it sound like they became quite a bit less common (gess it would make sense with the decline of magic and the apparition of cars ?)


Either way, age might make for some interesting group dynamics, ... that and the fact that Clinton is the only male in the group :smallamused:

Just try implying anything avout harem comedy in character to the gun totting widow, I dare you. :smalltongue:

The_Admiral
2013-02-08, 09:32 AM
What's with that amused look?

Also, If we're keeping the ARM, Adela can turn it into some sort of "Bat armour" equivalent.

Harem comedy? You're obviously the team mom.
Clinton's a watered down Cloudcuckoolander, Jane's the creepy kid and Adela's the god dammed Batman.

I see a hilariously dysfunctional team of experts.

Also Fri, what about them radios you said I could score off my associates?

Fri
2013-02-08, 12:29 PM
Yes, it's an Edson Model T. It looks often used, but well maintained.

ARMs are equipments here, so it costs 4 pp, and yes, I'll allow you to pool your pp for it, if you decide to keep it. I'll even allow you to pool PP to upgrade it if you want. And don't worry, I'm not that evil of a DM that would make it explode for trivial reason only because you haven't bought it legally.

You know what. I most likely going to regret this but... None of your concept are ARM pilot, and so most likely you won't use it much, I'll give it to you for free just this time. Only if you promise you won't start stealing ARMs left and right and build a mecha army, next time you'll have to pay.

You still can upgrade it by pooling your pp though.

And clinton, yes, you can get your radio as soon as you're able to contact your associates.

The_Admiral
2013-02-08, 12:32 PM
So, I'm contacting them tomorrow morning and getting the comms at the next case.

EDIT: Also, the more I look at it, the more this kill looks like a pro job.

Stormwind
2013-02-15, 05:09 AM
Just a quick FYI ... I will be travelling for the next week (will be back on the 24th), and I am unlikely to have time to post during this week.

Please NPC Jane if necessary.


---

Regarding the current situation, Jane will continue to act as lookout for the moment ...

smuchmuch
2013-02-15, 05:33 AM
well for now it's just Clinton and Nightowl interogating the thug, so we don't need to be four on that. (or even three for that matter)

I"m going to let these two do their interogation. (I'd say Clinton is probably going to be the 'good cop' but this is a roleplaying game with two PCs ganging on a NPC, there is genraly no 'good cop/bad cop', it generaly more 'bad cop/worse cop/"Quick tell everything you know, i'm not going to be able to stop her from killing you much longer" cop :smalltongue:)

@ Fri is there anything else of notice around, in the alley ?


EDIT: Also, the more I look at it, the more this kill looks like a pro job.

Hmmm, I'm having my little theory on this but I'd like to check a few things first.

Later (in game) (next day evening, probaly), i'd like to have LIn get a look at the corpse, (with Clinton, if possible.).

Also i'm going to speculate, the thug probaly won't know much about the 'murder' itself. (still worth acting) He might know about Ho activities wich is one of the possible pists for motives, so it might be more interesting to grill him on this.
Im going to go on a hunch and say Ho isn't directly responsible for the murder.

The_Admiral
2013-02-15, 10:17 AM
Is Falcon going to do the "my arm is getting tired?"

Or is she just going to recreate the Old and young batman interrogation scene?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PETk8eBbfN0

Tengu_temp
2013-02-15, 05:34 PM
I'm being slow lately. Blame my exams (which are going well, but still).

smuchmuch
2013-02-15, 07:52 PM
Good luck for those left.

Fri
2013-03-04, 10:07 AM
I'm going to tell you a secret. You guys already did some things I did not foresee. And that's not counting hijacking the ARM, mind you. That's you might notice some hiccup in the flow of our game.

I also didn't think that this first case would be this long. I thought it'd just be an introduction case! That's also purely my fault, for failing to properly gauge the amount of work you guys have to do and such.

Tell me if you guys want to skip to the next day. And once again, I have to say, do discuss your theories in open. Brainstorming is good for these games! A list of known clues might also help.

The_Admiral
2013-03-04, 10:57 AM
Sure skip.

Clues: Slipper with magic dust
What does it show: Killer has access to magic, very powerful magic.

Clue: Mr Ho's actions
What does it show: He had something to gain from the kill not being investigated. He knows the killer?

Hunch: this kill was a professional hit,

Anything I'm missing? Kinda tired.

smuchmuch
2013-03-04, 08:07 PM
You missed quite a bit :smalltongue: (But how much of it is really relevant, that's something else.)be making a summary of all
But it's 2 Am for me at the moment so I'll be making my big post tomorow.

We could be doing this in character too ? (I don't think Lin had the chance to tell you about the magiceness of the shoes and what the elf dust is yet (and i suspect it's important.)) Or we can do it offscreen ans skip to the next day. right now, i'm cool either way.

Fri
2013-03-23, 12:08 PM
I wasn't posting much not because I'm leaving this game but because I was hoping for some sort of character interaction/development scene between the player characters. If you guys think that you have enough of it, you can go back to business again.

smuchmuch
2013-03-23, 02:14 PM
(We are having a character interraction moment,, I'd say it's just slow paced.
Like this whole game really, so I don't mind a Dm bumping once in a while.

Also I dunno if I mentioned this before but, personaly, I'm in an important (well to me at least) interneship at the moment and so my posting rate is somewhat seriously slowed down druing the week because of work and long commuting time)

Also... have we heard of the 'The Zhiyou Jingshen' ?
(Unless it' something that came up before in the game or in someone's backstorry, (I don't believe it did ?) we can't really know untill you as a DM tells us or ask/offers us to make a relevant skill roll)

The_Admiral
2013-03-23, 07:05 PM
What do we roll? Local or Current Events

[roll0]

Add 9 if current events, add 5 if local

Stormwind
2013-03-24, 08:52 AM
Knowledge(streetwise): [roll0] (To determine if Jane's heard of the "Zhiyou Jingshen")

smuchmuch
2013-03-24, 11:37 AM
Okay... so i was looking a Lin's sheet and realised there was a serious disrepancy betweent the numbers on the sheet and the point count I had written at the end. I'm not sure why that is.

I've corrected and recounted and I think I might (that'd be a first) be actualy underpointed.
I counted by four pp but I also could just have grossly overlooked something somewhere while recounting though, so if someone would like to look at that sheet and double check my math I'd appreciate.
(Link (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=412326))

(for information to read my count, I tend to count the price of feats that give toughness, defense or attack bonuses under those respective sections rather than feat section)

---------------------------
In the meantime:
knowlege rolls for Zhiyou Jingshen.
[roll0] +3 (local street life and law enforcement); +5 general culture, wichever applies (if any)

Tengu_temp
2013-03-24, 02:18 PM
Since Adela has Well-Informed, I believe I can roll Gather Information here to see if she heard about the Zhiyou Jingshen before!

[roll0]

If that doesn't qualify but Knowledge: Streetwise does, substract 5 from the roll.

Fri
2013-03-25, 01:29 AM
Adella and Jane got it (it's streetwise roll btw).

Word in the street is that there's a new organization rising. To call them a criminal family would be inaccurate. Some people call them street gangs, a really violent one. Some people call them a terrorist organization. Some people call them an anarchist movement. Whatever they are, they're a collection of really violent people, mostly magic users and werecreatures, that do seemingly random attacks on places of technologies like powerplants

The_Admiral
2013-03-25, 01:49 AM
Hmm, Time to infiltrate this organization, get found out and start running?

Fri
2013-03-25, 04:29 AM
One mission in a time, my friend. One mission in a time.

The_Admiral
2013-03-25, 04:38 AM
But my mission is and always will be the comedy itself.

Sue me I mangled a quote.

Fri
2013-03-27, 05:02 AM
I thought you want to pick up your radios, admiral :smallwink:

The_Admiral
2013-03-27, 05:21 AM
The order's already through? Okay, quick side trip.

Fri
2013-03-28, 09:42 AM
Right, just want to confirm, do you want to pick the radio after or before visiting the bar?

If you want to pick the radio first, you could post something in that line IC.

The_Admiral
2013-03-28, 10:36 AM
Editing it in!

The_Admiral
2013-04-04, 11:44 AM
Fri? YOu still here?

Fri
2013-04-08, 12:33 AM
Yes, ugh, really sorry. I've been very tired these last few days. I hope you guys will forgive me. I kept meaning to post something these last few days but keep postponing it and suddenly it's already the next day, then the next day... I'll post something soon and I promise I'll try to post regularly again.

The_Admiral
2013-04-08, 01:06 AM
Happens to everyone don't worry. At least yer alive.

Fri
2013-04-30, 03:01 AM
Oh hey, the forum is back! Which is great. I totally forgot to check this forum after too many checking on the Giant's "new" site. Let's continue the game, shall we.

The_Admiral
2013-04-30, 03:05 AM
I am here, I AM ALIVE! ALIVE I TELL YA!

Stormwind
2013-04-30, 04:08 AM
Alive here also ....

The_Admiral
2013-05-22, 12:00 PM
everyone still here right?

smuchmuch
2013-05-22, 12:24 PM
*Deep breathing sound*
have been burried IRl between finals and a repport to write lately. It got better this week so I'll try to post soon. Sorry

An, uh... on the one hand that mortician is acting so supicious it hurts, on the the other hand it could be something complelty unrelated to our case and uh anyway I'm not really sure what to do next at the morgue.

The_Admiral
2013-05-22, 04:35 PM
That, or he's Woody.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111206025407/psychusa/images/b/b4/Woody.jpeg

The_Admiral
2013-05-26, 03:18 AM
Yeah, we start looking for that mansion on the edge of the city,

[roll0] at least for knowledge. if popular culture or Current events +9 instead.

Fri
2013-05-26, 03:52 AM
To Carlton:

Asking people in the street easily find you the mansion. It's not like people would miss a huge old dilapidated mansion standing right beside the town.

The_Admiral
2013-05-26, 03:55 AM
So it's a gather info roll. a +13 to a eleven that makes it a 24.

So when do we reach there?

Fri
2013-05-27, 08:02 AM
Oh you're going there? You didn't mention that. I'll reply soon.

The_Admiral
2013-06-06, 10:54 AM
See, this is Cinderella!

Also the scan on Adela is just him making sure he still got it, to restore confidence in himself.

smuchmuch
2013-06-06, 11:07 AM
See, this is Cinderella!

Funny, I though you weren't called 'Captain Obvious' anymore. :smalltongue:

Okay, seriously, it's been a while Stormwing hasn't posted. fri, have you tried sending her(/him) a PM to check if she was still in the game ?
Im going to be finaly out of exams tomorow for good. So i'll just resume posting on my end.

The_Admiral
2013-06-06, 11:10 AM
My name is still obvious, it's just that I have been promoted to Admiral!

Fri
2013-06-06, 10:37 PM
Well, I thought you guys will never notice that :p.

And I guess it's been a while. I'll pm stormwind, but even if he resign, it will be fine. I planned this game for a small number of players after all.

The_Admiral
2013-06-07, 05:49 AM
Hmm, so now we find the maid, and have a little chat

ALSO! the sherlock scan on Adela, I think she'll notice him giving her the look of the sherlock scan.

smuchmuch
2013-06-14, 06:51 AM
eeh, If you thought that was creepy, I know someone who can figure out who taught you from the way you walk.

Is that a reference to Vimes ? Because if it is, it is kind of funny if it is consideirng how the man distrusts Sherlock scans :smalltongue::

(And I do have to agree to a point Mostly because it's one on the detective tropes that is tricky to pull off well. If it's done badly, it just feels so damn cheesy)

smuchmuch
2013-07-01, 10:03 AM
*Cough*
So, Fri, may we hope for a Dm post one day or should we consider this game on undertemined hiatus ?

Fri
2013-07-02, 03:28 AM
Uuh, sorry, I've been trying to post for the last few days. I even have the window for new post open since saturday, but for some reason I just keep postponing it. Which is doubly silly, because it's not something huge, I just need to answer some simple questions. I'll post something today. Sorry.

Fri
2013-07-10, 12:48 AM
Finally I managed to gather enough of myself to post. I'm really sorry, I literally have the windows open for weeks, but I just can't write anything for some reason.

I really want this game to continue, I have a lot of plans for this game, and we haven't even touched the main plot the slightest bit. I hope you guys still want to play, I'll try my best to not do this again. And if for any reason I thought I would not be able to post in a while, I promise I'll at least warn you guys.

But if you guys already gave up, I perfectly understand.

The_Admiral
2013-07-12, 12:20 PM
Hold on, did we ever learn the vic's name? If we did, I forgot.

smuchmuch
2013-07-12, 12:51 PM
... Actually now that your mention it, I don't think we ever did on screen. He's been alway refered as the Lee son or the 'prince' so far. I don't think even his father or his friends at the bar ever refered to him by his first name.

I assumed it is on purpose to enhance the 'Fairy tale noir' ambaince
(after all in a fairy tale, it's alway 'the handsome prince' and the 'king's son', for truth be told they are hardly true characters, more of an archetype used as storrytelling device, jsut as so often are the victims in roman/film noir.)

It does seem a tad weird in retrospect, though. I assume that offscreen however there would have been plenty of occasion to do so, even if it was never said to us at some point (which seems improbable), it would have been written in the newspaper or such.

Fri
2013-07-12, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I'll give that to you. His name is Liang Lee.

Fri
2013-07-12, 04:07 PM
By the way, I just remembered now that in chinese style, it's family name before personal name. Oh well.

The_Admiral
2013-07-12, 09:37 PM
Actually, if it's really 'chinese style' his personal name will have two components. Take mine for example, Lim Kai Chuen, my personal name is Kai Chuen , family name is Lim, currently Liang seems more Japanese.

Fri
2013-07-13, 03:15 AM
Ah right. He originally has two personal name, but I decided against it.

By the way, every[I] single names in this game are references :p.

Fri
2013-07-17, 02:22 AM
Admiral, you can still roll that streetwise/knowledge roll. I didn't count your previous roll, just saying :smallwink:.

The_Admiral
2013-07-17, 02:40 AM
Knowledge Streetwise
[roll0]

or +5 if can use Popular culture or Current events

Fri
2013-07-17, 04:16 AM
Alright, here's what you got from your rolls.

The Costello Family was a criminal family that used to be Lee's family rival. They both infamously grow together into powerful families in a single generation. But a few years back, the Costello Family's head was murdered, and the family then declined into nothingness, losing all of their power and man.

The deceased Costello family head had three daughters from his two marriages.

The_Admiral
2013-07-17, 04:35 AM
.......

*Falls over laughing*

Fri
2013-07-18, 12:52 PM
I'm sorry smuchmuch, I really didn't thought of any. If only there's another player, I guess you could chat with him. You could chat with Hemmingway about Mr. Satterwaithe dissapearance or prepare the defense of the building, I guess.

I specifically set this game so we can have rotating players in case we lost too many players, but I'd like to wait until we finish this mission before (if we ever want to) recruit new players.

I hope we could post a bit faster just for this time, so the events at the Costello Mansion can be finished faster. I'll try to reply as soon as I see a reply there.

I forgot, do you have your radios yet?

The_Admiral
2013-07-18, 01:16 PM
no, not yet, they're all with Clinton for now. Also waiting for Adele to catch up, but I can post now.

Also I'm guessing your second name for Liang would be Long, because dragons.

Edit 2: Also I asked for a sherlock scan of the girl, any response to that?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15425551&postcount=304

smuchmuch
2013-07-18, 02:04 PM
I'm sorry smuchmuch, I really didn't thought of any.

No problem, just wanted to check.

BTW, I'll say this for the record/
In those case (I expect there'll be more of those as investigation heavy games do tend to have lots of party splitting and be rather slow paced), I'm cool with occupying myself with non plot relevant stuff. It's alway a chance to discover more about setting/NPC , a chance even just to show some characterization.

Of course, here, I could just have Lin call Lee and have talk a meeting with him. (Intend to do so at some point anyway)
My only concern here is that it'll take time and we'll arrive with an inverse situation where it's Clintoln and Aldela who find themselves having to wait when they get back to the office.


If only there's another player, I guess you could chat with him. You could chat with Hemmingway about Mr. Satterwaithe disappearance

Kind already did that. We were interrupted but he didn't seem to have all that much to say. But sure why not.
I was just under the impression he man wouldn't be here. (Surely the has to be to his newspaper doing his actual job once in a while :smalltongue:)


or prepare the defense of the building, I guess.

(... Spoiler alert ?)

Anyhow, does my character has any particular reasons to expect an attack ?
I mean there were Ho's threats yesterday but he was kind of beaten and his arm was stolen; seeing as he was acting against his boss orders (well as far as we know, anyway) as well she'd figure he'd want to lay low for a while.

Fri
2013-07-18, 02:39 PM
no, not yet, they're all with Clinton for now. Also waiting for Adele to catch up, but I can post now.

Also I'm guessing your second name for Liang would be Long, because dragons.

Edit 2: Also I asked for a sherlock scan of the girl, any response to that?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15425551&postcount=304

You really should distribute the radio as soon as possible, it's a really useful item.

And man, sorry, I don't know how I missed that. Dunno if it's still relevant, but eh.

From what you can see, the girl is wearing simple clothings and looking meek, but you can see that the meekness, like how she stutters and looking downward, is covering something else.

The_Admiral
2013-07-19, 12:03 AM
roll sense motive
[roll0]

Can I use EE for my diplomacy roll?

Tengu_temp
2013-07-19, 02:27 AM
Would it hurt you people to wait with going on with important plot until I write my response?

Fri
2013-07-19, 02:55 AM
Sorry tengu, that's my fault. I was weighing on waiting for you to post or replying to admiral, but I felt sorry for Smuchmuch since he doesn't have anything to do, so I tried to go through this fast. Sorry again.

Fri
2013-07-23, 11:22 AM
Well, congratulations. You've finished the case...:smallbiggrin:

The_Admiral
2013-07-23, 11:33 AM
Well, not quite, who was her benefactor? Who handed her the resources needed to.......

We're up against a Moriaty like dude aren't we? The big bad's the Fairy Godmother.

smuchmuch
2013-07-23, 12:05 PM
Well, congratulations. You've finished the case...:smallbiggrin:

I detect some slight traces of mockery here


We're up against a Moriaty like dude aren't we? The big bad's the Fairy Godmother.

More like the fairy Godfather.

Fri
2013-07-23, 01:39 PM
Well, I'm leaving you guys to chat it out for now then.

The_Admiral
2013-07-23, 02:07 PM
Godfather, heh, all those jokes.

Fri
2013-07-23, 02:34 PM
Well admiral, you should reply to Adela then. And decide what to do with the girl.

Sorry if I seemed a bit pushy, especially after missing so long. I just want so we could get smuchmuch back in the game again.

After thinking about it, we really need one more person. So if we split the party we could split it 2-2.

smuchmuch
2013-07-23, 02:47 PM
Ain't no rush. I'm still here and I can wait a bit (besides I'm a slow poster enough myself that it'd be pretty hypocrytical of me to complain). I'll just find something to occupy myself if they need a bit more turn.

And taking a bit more time you may want to do since there's a contradiction between some of the fact Clintoln know and what she told you. She's either lying or not telling (or knowing) the wole storry, so you may want to go all Phoenix Wright on her just to be sure.



Also, plan is to leave her here and to tell Lee who's the perp, try to convince him to let her go to the prison system because we need to chase down her benefactor, sound good?

Yeah because mob bosses are known to be reasonable and mercifull, especialy when such matters as honnor and revenge are concerned :smalltongue:

But, seriously, that sounds like a decent course of action. But you"ll have to be very convincing, seeing how his (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13883055&postcount=24) attitude (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14091226&postcount=61) so far.

Fri
2013-07-23, 02:52 PM
By the way, I'm asking for your opinion. Should we try to recruit one new character now, or wait until the end of this session?

I mean, you guys have done a lot, but honestly, I didn't thought this session would be this long, so I can't even guess how much longer will it last.

Fri
2013-07-26, 01:25 AM
I've just had a dream about this game where...

Adela suddenly just mercy killed the girl with her sword.

I wonder if I'm actually a psychic and that's what you're actually planning :smallbiggrin:

smuchmuch
2013-07-29, 06:59 PM
Somehow I don't see our local zorro/batman expy doing that.unless she gets really cross.

-----------------------------------------------
When I was talking about contradiction between what she says and the facts:

(from back there (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14138757&postcount=76).)

"See here? If you're asking about the wound, it almost looks like there's two wounds, one on top another. I distinctly remember they say he's just stabbed once."


"So I snuck into his son's life... Gathering information, trying to find an opportunity. Took months of preparation. Then... I... I... killed... him. One swift stab between the ribs... that's all you need to kill a man. I killed him."

She laughs and weeps at the same time.

(And checked with our Dm, both wounds look like they where made before death.)
------------------------------------------------------


By the way, I'm asking for your opinion. Should we try to recruit one new character now, or wait until the end of this session?

Well, that would be entirely up to you, oh Dmy one ?

As long as we avoid another 'Drakensburg' when where a spot to finaly introduce the newly recruited characters oppnend, almost all of them had lost interest.

Fri
2013-07-29, 09:06 PM
Well, you could discuss that when you get back to your base. Are you going to bring the girl back to saterwaithe building? Or bringing her straight to the police? Or straight to Mr. Lee?

Clinton? Adela? Want to say something IC? If you don't think you have anything else to do in the mansion, or want to discuss the stuff with the three of you, you could skip the scene and get straight back to the mansion.

Tengu_temp
2013-07-30, 05:35 AM
I was waiting for The Admiral to post now, since I posted last time. But it's been a few days, so I guess I can say something myself instead. Still got a few questions for her.

The_Admiral
2013-07-30, 07:39 AM
Ahh, eer, sorry? :smallredface:

I honestly cannot think of anything, not even a way of transport, no idea how to get her to the saterwaithe building in good time, I don't think the bike will work.

Fri
2013-07-30, 09:44 AM
If you want to transport her back to satterwaithe building, just say it, and we'll skip there. Cabs exist in Rui Xing after all.

The_Admiral
2013-08-04, 01:24 AM
Okay, I want to skip back to the Satterweith Building, we're holding her there temporarily.

Tengu_temp
2013-08-04, 10:55 AM
I'm okay with this.

Fri
2013-08-05, 03:16 AM
awesome. I'll post soon.

The_Admiral
2013-08-07, 02:42 PM
Also, this magic man sounds like he's got friends on the other side. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4pStVNQc4M)

What? His MO kinda fits.

Fri
2013-08-14, 03:59 PM
So, do you guys want to question the girl further or move on to do something else?

Fri
2013-08-20, 04:09 PM
Anyway, if people are still here, that would be great. I don't mind slow posting, don't worry. Just as long as you guys are still posting.

Tengu_temp
2013-08-20, 04:41 PM
I'm still here, just waiting for others.